Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #106  
Empress/Queen

Marie, yea, the wheat free is an experiment until the Vernal Equinox but it made me lose interest in cake.

I will be evaluating at the Equinox whether to stay wheat free and/or expand the lifestyle to include totally gluten free. I think I already know the answer.

I have a number of food intolerances & food likes that no longer serve me. I'm happy to give them up when the time comes to do so. I enjoy changing my lifestyle sometimes when I think it will help me.

Your ski day sounds fun. I'd love to learn how to ski.

Have fun at the birthday party.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Florida was nice but I am happy to be home. I have already been to the Y this morning and the grocery store. I decided to only give up the wheat this week and nothing else since that is going to be plenty hard enough. I was suppose to start yesterday but could not even make it past noon. I am hoping for better results today. Having been to the grocery store and not on the road will certainly be more conducive to my success. However, I am definitely fighting cravings even though I just had breakfast. I had greek yogurt, blueberries and walnuts but I don't exactly feel full. I think it is my imagination playing tricks on me-I just think I want toast because I told myself no wheat. I am going to have some hot tea and hopefully that will soothe the craving.

Am2-I read Wheat Belly last week after you brought it up here. I mostly liked it but wow, I really don't want to give up wheat forever. My initial motivation to give up wheat was to see if it affected any of my allergies. His report on the effects of wheat is much more radical than simply allergies. It really makes me think I should at least severely limit a lot of food I used to consider normal and not particularly junky. Well, I just saw someone else last week on Dr Oz that proposed much of the same ideas as Dr Davis so maybe he is not too far out there. But really, it makes me sad to think this may not be temporary. The doc on the Dr Oz show says you get over that feeling though it may take a while. I don't know.

Marie-You are a like a ski hero Girl. I worry if I can make it walking up a steep hill sometimes. Good for you! Have fun at the birthday party.

Diana-Good job ignoring the free cake. You know what they say about a moment on the lips---you saved yourself some trouble right?!

Last edited by TERAPET; 02-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #108  
Empress/Queen

Tera, I do want to clarify a little. I am not a big Dr. Oz fan so I don't really have an opinion on anything he says.

I do think "Wheat Belly" is a good popular book for generating ideas about going wheat free and I think the history lesson in there on wheat is interesting.

I don't really subscribe to all the conclusions drawn by Dr. Davis, although some I do agree with.

But I do know that even before the book became popular people have been interested in giving up wheat because of allergies or intolerances and blood sugar and a bunch of reasons.

I've had a lot of health problems over the years traceable to allergies and food intolerances, but I'm trying this route because I want to and I enjoy experimenting with my diet. My doctor is not opposed to it. No allergy has been officially detected but there IS something about wheat as I get older that is rattling my chain and causing symptoms.

But I never advocate for anyone else to do anything or promote popular diet books.

Lol, for years I did the Sugar Busters' diet (hmmm, I may have said this) and felt wonderful, gave up corn and still don't eat much of it. That plan was somewhat flawed (it's a forerunner of South Beach but not created by the same doc) but what it taught me is that I had to be my own lab experiment and in charge of my own eating. I was not overweight at the time but did lose the "last 10 pounds or so" ... it is something to do with the glycemic load ... I have trouble getting it right lol.

Anyhow, just wanted to shed some clarity on my perspective on Dr. Davis. Lol, I love the book but it isn't what is driving me.

Hmmm, feel great, really. Today, though, I am extremely anxious for no real reason. Just hanging around the house waiting for some business things to resolve but that doesn't make me anxious.

So why am I anxious? Is this another insidious wheat withdrawal system?

Lol, anyhow, walking & cleaning and THEN the nana naps will begin.

I'll get through it and intend to have a good calorie level today.

Dunno, eating is a science experiment these days. Personally, I have fun with it lol.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #109  

Am2-I thought of the South Beach Diet when I was reading Wheat Belly. I guess they both had a lot to say about carbs and blood sugar etc, etc. I think they are both cardiologists. Well, it can't hurt to try wheat free eating and in the meanwhile it is saving me about 300 calories a day. I just hope these darn cravings go away. I really do not seem to last as long between meals either. I get really hungry and headachy. I am guessing at my calorie totals the last two days since I am eating homemade stew so maybe I am simply not eating as much as I think I am. Probably not.

Last edited by TERAPET; 02-13-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #110  
Empress/Queen

Tera, I've had almost no cravings for my usual wheat twins: cake & pretzels. But my calories overall crept up this week even with making better choices. Sticking to the 1700s the rest of the week.

I have had some headaches but overall a decrease in aches & pain. But I guess the main thing is the better choices. Was walking around Wally World earlier & noticed how many cakes, cookies, cupcakes, donuts were in the bakery that I might well have missed but didn't. I bought pistachios & snacked on these all afternoon. Too many but had to be better than all the cake with technicolor frosting.

Yea, really was a South Beach moment. Felt good.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #111  
Empress/Queen

Actually did well below the 1700s:

My Royal 4-Day Personal Calorie Level Challenge Log:

Day 1, Wednesday, 1540
Day 2, Thursday, TBD
Day 3, Friday, TBD
Day 4, Saturday, TBD
Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #112  

Strange results on the scale today. I actually lost 3 pounds. I have been the same weight forever so it was crazy to see. However, my measurements are the same so it is just a fluctuation but it was rather dramatic and in the right direction. It sure makes the wheat restriction much easier to take. The cravings are a lot less today also which is a great relief.

Am2-Great calorie total. Do you think eliminating the wheat products will help or hurt? My daily totals are lower also with a direct correlation to not eating wheat. However, I have also cut way back on the alcohol this week so that made a difference also. The two combined are rather significant-probably 300 to 500 calories from the day.I can relate to walking past the bakery section of the store. It is a strange experience especially with Valentines Day-there is so much. I have conflicting emotions. I think wow that looks good and wow that is not good for you. Thankfully "wow, that is not good for you" is winning.

Last edited by TERAPET; 02-14-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #113  
Empress/Queen

My Royal 4-Day Personal Calorie Level Challenge Log:

Day 1, Wednesday, 1540
Day 2, Thursday, 1360
Day 3, Friday, TBD
Day 4, Saturday, TBD
Tera, yea, I think the wheat free status is helping calorie control, although I had another of those days when I didn't feel well so food wasn't agreeing that well with me anyhow.

I had no conflicting emotions about walking past all the cupcakes today lol. Although it wasn't because I was thinking that wasn't good for me. I just didn't want them. I've cut myself off from the cupcake lol. However, that is not to say that I won't at some point have a non wheat or gluten free cupcake. Just very into my wheat freedom right now.

CONGRATULATIONS ON LOSING 3 POUNDS!!! Woot! Huzzah! That is great!

I am crossing my fingers I may have a similar result, although my calories have not been stellar for most of the week.

Happy Valentine's Day to all on the thread!

Last edited by Amarantha2; 02-14-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #114  

Height: 5'1"

OK, i'm back, and non too soon. I've really been bad. No exercise and eating everything in sight. Today is a new beginning. Why do we do this to ourselves? Like you Marie, I want to dodge the family history of several different conditions. And I know the only way I can do that is to be fit. So, today I will eat well and I will exercise. I'll let you know tomorrow how I manage that. Does anyone else have a problem getting started? Seems it takes me a few days to get it "right". I don't know how you gain an ounce with all the exercise you do Marie.

It will take me a few days to get to know all of you, so forgive me.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #115  

Hi Slim. I bet you will do great now that you have your mind set on it. I often gradually change my diet when I have need to make a correction. It is difficult for me to give up all my vices at once. I actually really never give up any of my vices, I just try to wrangle them under control. If it is very difficult for me to control-like cookies-I avoid them as much as possible. But I still have them now and then. However, then I have to give them up again and that is difficult. That is why it is just easier not to eat them.

Am2- I find this little foray into gluten free eating interesting. I am really suprised my weight is dropping so quickly. However, I know I can never give it up entirely. I am however, really into the whole high glycemic stuff I have been reading lately so I will probably be leaning more toward that which certainly will translate into a lot less wheat products. I also still have not given up on the idea of the three week detox from possible inflammatory food although I doubt I could do it.

I was very good yesterday-well under 1500 calories I think. Plus I put in my 60 minutes at the Y for a strength training class. The scale was down a bit again today so that gives me more room to adjust up and still have a net loss next Tuesday when I will have been wheat free for a week. Hopefully anyway. I think I can do it.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #116  
Empress/Queen

Huzzah, hello The Slim Me! Woot!

Yea, I always have trouble getting started, in everything lol.

Tera, low glycemic eating is really pleasant and easy, I am getting more and more back into since I realize the no wheat thing will get me there.

But haven't been great in the calorie department and my little challenge to eat at 1700 or below went a wee bit poof today. I haven't been on the scale and won't until Sunday but I don't feel I lost anything this week and could have gained. We'll see lol.

I am just going to continue with the calorie logging for a while and of course with the no wheat (this is Day 34 of the backward count to the Vernal Equinox wherein I will evaluate it, although must say I am very happy wheatless lol).

Wednesday, 1540
Thursday, 1360
Friday, 1760
Saturday, TBD
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #117  

I did well yesterday, stayed at about 1400 calories. Ate heathy. So, I'm off to a good start. Have my food planned for today. I did my weights yesterday and a bit of cardio at Curves. I can already tell that I feel better. Is it possible to feel better in this amount of time? Even if it's just in my mind I'll take it.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #118  

Yesterdays calories-1900, ex-60 min step class at the Y. My weight was down another pound today! Crazy. I still expect it to bounce back up. It is very unusual for me to lose 5 pounds in a week. However, again it is nice to see the scale moving down. I will consider Tuesday my official weigh in and we will see where I end up.

Slim-Way to go with the cals and exercise! Nice to feel good from a job well done.

Am2-Well you barely crossed your limit anyway. You are doing great keeping track of the calories and keeping them in line with your goals. It will definitely pay off given time.

Last edited by TERAPET; 02-16-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #119  
Empress/Queen

Slim, definitely possible to feel better in a short period of time. Good job on the cals and exercise.

Tera, good job on the loss and it isn't written that you can't lose 5 pounds in a week and have it bounce. Lol, if you don't mind my advice, you just tell yourself it is NOT going to bounce. It was just time for those pounds to go.

Well, I have been bouncing around proving my moodiness to the universe as I can't settle down today at all, so I played with the idea of doing WW if I don't lose, but then I found a kind of neat phone app that counts "diet points" using two of the latest WW points calculations and parameters, although, of course, it is NOT WW (which I can't afford, to be honest).

I came up with numbers that approximated the number of calories those diet points actually represent so and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the simplicity of this little app and the similarity to WW but without the things I don't like about WW.

So I am going to double track for a while regardless of my weight tomorrow and also check out more phone apps. I've moved along from the three really top ones for calorie counting that I have and like, I want a simpler interface and quicker entry and don't need EXACT numbers, just the ballpark.

Hope all are well and that all come back soon! WOot!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #120  

I did well all day yesterday. Last night, not so great! I ate way too much junk. Night time eating is my trouble time. I do well all day and blow it all at night. Well, today is another day. To get it right.
Closed Thread