Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #226  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Am I the Donna you're talking to or the other Donna??? My squiggly hasn't moved in over a year, sorry to say... that doesn't mean I haven't moved, though, sadly.

Last edited by jess1; 01-22-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #227  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

YEP, Donna we were talking about you.. My weight tracker isn't right either-- I should really move it up BUT I'm hoping that within a couple weeks it will be right again! Fingers crossed! Just hate moving it up But will if it isn't right in a couple weeks or at least close to it!!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Bobbi - I am a little afraid of trying the quilt because I really don't know how to do it. I found what looks like a simple one online that I might tackle, unless I find one I like better. I like the way your squares are sometimes 2 different pieces sewn together but I don't know if I could do that sucessfully.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Frayed-Denim-Quilt/
Old 01-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #229  

S/C/G: 318/218/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Shock of my life

Went to Dr. and of course the first thing they do is weigh you. I expected 230, since my home scale say 226...Dr offices scales always make you weigh more.

Nope...not 230...or 232...or 235...take a guess?

Fully clothed, in the middle of the day after eating breakfast and lunch.

224!!! 224!!! 224!!!

I'm not using that number for my ticker, I'm still sticking with my home scale.
But it made me feel pretty darn good! : )

However, the doctor report not so good. I totally don't think they are right, but I'm having a CT scan for a possible enlarged abdominal aortic something orother. I have NONE of the reasons they give for getting this thing, so I really doubt it. I think it is just the weight loss. I'll go in Friday for a CT Scan and they'll check it out then.

Guess it is easy to fix if you find out before it ruptures, but death if you don't.

I'll let you know!

Donna
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #230  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

DonnaTN...congrats on the weight drop, usually the doc scale is higher. Good luck on the body scan.

Carol Sue, I've seen patterns like that where they turn the edge out to fray. I'm not crazy about it but if you like it...that's all that counts. I made my own pattern and you can too. Just make a template of the size square you want and trace around it on the backside of the material. I had a gallon white vinegar container I cut up and used as a very sturdy template. After cutting the square, cut it in two to make triangles. Then sew together two triangles from different shades of blue jeans to make a square. I found that the darker shade of jeans under the pocket makes nice shades of color. Use the pockets also, those add a nice variation. The larger the squares, the less work it is. I made my squares quite small but would do it different if I ever made another one. The material gets really heavy so I just made lap quilts for the boys. Good Luck, wish I lived closer. I'd come over and help. I actually liked taking the seams apart from the jeans more than the sewing. Get a stitch picker if you don't have one. Cheap,,,a couple of bucks only. When you take the back pockets off, take out all the seam stitching...then iron them. You should have enough to make a square out of each pocket. You don't have to buy filler for the quilts, they don't need it. I purchased some lap blankets they had on sale to back the quilt with. But you can use anything, an old sheet or something light weight.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-22-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #231  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG’s,

Yippee ~ a day off, sun shine. It has been a nice day.

I have gotten some things done I wanted/needed to do ~ the thank you notes for Christmas gifts, laundry. Got to visit by phone with mom & dad and my friend Lucille (who I met here on 3FC way back in 2000 when I joined). Got to visit with my son (by phone also ~ neither of us had wheels today to be able to get together). I needed to vent about some stuff and I knew he would understand ~ because he knows the different people and situations that caused the need to vent.

Worked again on the different ~ interchangeable trims I am trying to make for my scrub tops. I have gone through several versions of the thing and was not satisfied with how it looked ~ I think this time I have finally tweaked and tweaked until I have it how I want it. That is what I needed ~ because once I get it how I want it ~ I can whip them out in nothing flat.

Gonna try to get some personals done today.

Rosey ~ glad you got to see your granddaughter’s basket ball game ~ fun And curling up with your doggies and a cup of tea is pretty good too

Isabella (Retiredone) ~ how are you doing? You are always so busy ~ hope you are getting some time to get rested up before that new little grandbaby comes along.

Karen31 - MO ~ are you finally feeling better? Hope so.

Bobbi ~ Brrrrrr up by you. Your lemon pudding sounds yummy. Hope your little lemon tree hangs in there ok. Your potholders are so pretty

Donna ~ how are you doing? How is GM (granny mom) and SamCat? Do you still do those stretches for your hip? I wondered if they were helping. I am hurting more and wondered if they help ~ maybe I had better try to do them or something like that. Are you still doing that other treatment thing?

Carol Sue ~ wow ~ the quilt you are looking at making is huge ~ you’ll have to put pictures of yours on here when you get it done.

K3 (Karen FL) ~ hope you are still doing ok (a-fib less)

Maryea ~ you haven’t been around in a while ~ hope all is well with you

Ginger ~ how are you doing?

Cajun ~ glad the water has receded by you. Glad your son is ok after the deer incident. Glad your other son did well on his test. I did report that my daughter was doing ok (after the flu and being pregnant and all) but the next day ~ sadly ~ we got message from her that she had lost the baby. I don’t think she was very far along. Don’t know the details yet ~ she said she wasn’t ready to talk about it.

Deelee ~ how are your mom, dad and husband doing? Hope you are taking time to take care of you.

TN Donna ~ cool ~ the new unexpected number on the scale. Hope the test shows what you think it is and not what they think it is ~ better to find out though. You gotta be there for your sweet smiley Jonathan.

Carbie ~ hope they get moving along on the work on your house. That must be frustrating ~ the waiting.

Welcome Rainbow Smiles ~ you are doing wonderfully. Awesome job. I can’t even imagine making that much progress ever ~ let alone in 1 years time. Maybe that is part of why I fail over and over again ~ I can not seem to wrap my head around that I could ever succeed.

Diana (working like a dog) ~Ah ~ another cat lover Hello to Tumtum, Princess and Smokey.

Welcome Jean2 ~ sweet little doggy face in your avatar pic.

Welcome LRH ~ another nurse ~ there are several of us here

Welcome Tabby cat (Annie), Celia5248, Time2Bfit4life (Amy) Brunette53, betsy2013, texanatheart

Hello Tea Granny ~ hope this year is a better one for you

Forreal (MaryGee) ~ your left over ideas sound yummy

Tapping Peony (Kathy) ~ that pineapple tea you mentioned sounds good ~ might have to go check that out

Dogpaws4ever (Rhonda) ~ glad that meal got your body kick started again.

Freda, Marie, Rie, Zoe, Lynn ~ miss you guys.

Wow ~ so many new people ~ hope I haven’t left anyone out. Forgive me if I did.

Ok, I’d better get some more stuff done. My day off is quickly dwindling away ~ back to work tomorrow.

Hope you all have had a nice day.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 01-22-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #232  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post

Welcome Rainbow Smiles ~ you are doing wonderfully. Awesome job. I can’t even imagine making that much progress ever ~ let alone in 1 years time. Maybe that is part of why I fail over and over again ~ I can not seem to wrap my head around that I could ever succeed.
hi glynne, thanks for the welcome i know what you mean about not being able to wrap your head around losing. i was that way year before last. losing 10 and gaining 15!! then i started a lower carb way of eating on may 1 2012, and so far so good, its been 38 weeks now, this week, and i have had the best success i have ever had losing weight. one day it will just click for you too!! i'm sure of it! just never give up trying to find what works for YOU.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #233  
MaryGee

Default Whew.....

#%*@$^@&$!# I think the "submit reply" key on my computer is possessed. Many times as I move my finger over to that key a strange force takes over and makes my post disappear just before I submit it. It has gotten to the point where I use the edit key to "copy" my post so if it disappears I can "paste" it back into the box.

So here's a short version of my last disappearing post---
Good job Gayle on your personal messages--must have taken you all afternoon as this board is very busy.

Had to go out today for a doctor's appointment - wanted to stay home and stay warm as it's FREEZING here in New England. But the appointment was to meet a new Primary Care --I was impressed. He's not only certified as a PCP, but also as a Cardiologist which is a big plus. On top of that, he has a Nutritionist on staff. What could be better?

Have a great evening everyone.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #234  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Bobbi - I wish you lived closer to me....but I wouldn't want to live closer to you right now with your temps! Ours are bad enough! LOL

I used to sew a lot...made dresses, pants etc. So I have a couple seam rippers. Actually, when I hem jeans I like to use a single edge razor blade to take out the old hem, something that makes DH goes bezerk because I take aspirin to thin my blood. He's so afraid I'm going to slip and slice myself open. I can't say that I prefer the ragged edges on the squares, but it looked easy. I just need to get myself thinking that the worst I can do is ruin a couple pairs of jeans that I don't want anyway! I hope you understand this question. When you sew the 2 triangles together to make a bi-color square do you iron the seam open, or to one side or doesn't it matter? I guess that question applies to all the seams. I had some of those jeans in a box to donate to the veterans. Guess they're not getting them now. LOL Sorry.

I also think it would be a good idea to make this quilt from dgs old jeans and shirts, but she has someone needy who she passes his things down to and I think these people really need them. He hardly wears them out.

Donna/chg4life - I don't want to burst your bubble, but don't assume that the doctor's scale is right because it's at the doctors. They don't always get their scales calibrated the way they should. I would stick to your scale since that is what you've been using over time, unless you find that your scale is wrong. I don't know what kind of scale you have, but you can check it with weights if you have them, or even a 10 lb bag of potatoes, etc.

Gayle - So sorry to hear that your daughter lost the baby. How disappointing!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-23-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #235  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Sorry, too busy to gab this morning.
Gayle...Wow, you sure did your homework yesterday. Can I ditto all you said?
Carol Sue...yes, press all the seams open. Blue jean material is so thick and when sewing open seams to another piece it gets harder for the needle to go thru. BTW, you need a heavier needle on your machine and get some strong thread too.

Quote:
I hope you understand this question. When you sew the 2 triangles together to make a bi-color square do you iron the seam open, or to one side or doesn't it matter? I guess that question applies to all the seams.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-23-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #236  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Sure Bobbi ~ ditto away
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #237  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

hey....dittos here,too k3
Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #238  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Girls -

I’m having a bad time of it. Wednesday, January 16 was the worst. I had to help my DM with the prep for her colonoscopy. It was as bad as you can possibly imagine even though I was pretty well prepared. Towards the end of it my DS called to berate me for something I had said that hurt his fiancee's feelings. Totally accidental. I said, “I can’t believe you are doing this now." I had been wiping diarrhea off my own mother’s body, clothes, etc for hours. I realized that he is spoiled, (my fault) and can’t think for himself. He has been manipulated by a master whose biological clock is tick, tick, ticking away. And he doesn’t have my back. Doesn’t have enough respect, faith or love for me to defend me. I have a whole lot of crap (pun intended!) going on in my life and I don’t think I can do anymore. I’m physically and mentally exhausted. I’m drained. I could keep on going when I had the love and respect of my sons. But losing this son, has just crushed me. I don’t even know how to begin to get past this. What hurts the most is that he doesn’t care how much pain I’m in. That is killing me. Ah, it’s 5 p.m. I can have some wine. For the first time I realize how people become addicts - sometimes you’ll do anything to stop the pain. I guess that's too dramatic. But like LBJ said, “It’s like a hitchhiker in a Texas hail storm: no where to run, no where to hide, no way to make it stop.”

I hope you all are doing well.

Thanks for thing of me Gayle.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #239  

DeeLee i am so sorry sweetie that you are hurt and have more on your plate than you can handel. as far as your son i have been in your shoes too,my advice is step back and give it time.i know how badly it hurts tho. take care of you first.your poor mom she must have been mortied, take one day at a time and if thats to much 1 hr or 1 min. and the wine doesnt hurt. thinking about you. (((hugs))) rosey oh and hello to everyone else. deelee touched my heart strings today
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #240  
MaryGee

Hi Deelee--

I'm sorry you're having a tough time, and I hope things get better for you soon.

In regard to your son, sometimes kids can break your heart. I went through a very difficult time with my daughter and I had to "disengage" for a while - she had to stand on her own two feet. Sounds like the "tick-tock" lady is pulling the strings and it's out of your control.

About your mother - she's lucky to have you there for her. Hopefully her test results were okay.
Closed Thread