3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Losing weight at 50 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/270165-losing-weight-50-a.html)

wellonway 08-28-2014 09:05 AM

good morning everyone. I' 51 and have about 20 pounds to loose. I can really take off aa bit more, but I don't want to set myself up for failure. I'm 5'3" and weight around 150 right now. I think I can maintain 130, but I'd have to watch every calorie because I've been my current weight for around 2 years and have to watch/exercise or some combination of both. I used to spin, but had to have an emergency abdominal surgery, so now I'm nervous about the weight piling on. I'm used to eating to at least support my 55 minute cycle class. Any tips on how to say no to yourself and have yourself listen would be much appreciated! Good luck to everyone today!

Wannabehealthy 09-07-2014 12:19 PM

I have been a member here for 3 years and I guess I should be embarassed that my weight hasn't changed for so long, but I will never quit trying. I think the trying is at least keeping me from gaining it all back. I get a lot of tips from reading what others do and hearing about the success of others gives me encouragement.

Being over 50 is a whole new ballgame with weight loss. The weight shifts to different parts of the body. Our metabolism slows down and we are naturally less active. We need to have special tricks up our sleeve to combat this. Eating healthy and exercising might not add a lot of years to our life, but it will give better quality to whatever years we have left.

anniemaxx 09-07-2014 07:29 PM

Hi girls, I'd like to join your group. I was a member several years ago but got distracted by life. I just quit my job to concentrate on my health. I have had health issues over the past couple of years that have led me to the present mindset of it's now the time to lose this weight or suffer the rest of my life with chronic issues. I choose health, wellness, fitness and a long life. So I need to lose around 75 pounds. I am looking forward to the challenge.

gonnadoitthistime 11-04-2014 01:45 PM

Just checking in for motivation and to share. My "schedule" didn't work out, losing much slower than planned, but keep reminding myself of how far I have come!

Becoming60 11-23-2014 12:20 PM

Hi, I joined moments ago. I will be 60 in a month and I really want to become serious about weight loss. I weigh 167 and would like to be 140. I struggle with arthritis which either prevents me from exercise or the fear or resulting pain prevents me. I am a good swimmer and can swim strong for an hour. Somedays I eat well and then the next day I give in to all of the temptations. Speaking of which, the holidays!!!!! I would really like Support to reach my goals and will support whoever I can..

wantochange 11-29-2014 11:20 AM

Hi - I just turned 50 last month and have been trying to loose for years. I find as a diabetic it's harder than it used to be. There are things I know I need to do but am finding it hard to loose bad habits that I enjoy. I need to focus on health and not fun!! But it's not easy. :devil:

I find the longer I leave it though, the tireder I become. I don't want to become a sofa tatter tot which is what's going to happen if I don't get my act together.

Some days I have the best interests in mind and then blow it at lunch and carry that over to dinner. I guess if it was easy we would all be happy with our weight.

Good luck everyone ;)

dma 12-04-2014 10:07 AM

New...and pissed I've got to lose weight...again.

Lost 70 two years ago...and have to lose it again. What's wrong with me?? Didn't I learn the first time? Just found this forum...looking for support.
Turning 53 on Saturday and it all feels overwhelming. :?:

OK Lizzy 12-05-2014 10:39 AM

Welcome, dma! I know it really IS overwhelming at times -- because we DO know better, don't we? It is very frustrating to me as well. Especially when I get on this site and see how long I've been a member -- and my weight is still so high. Like you, I lost quite a bit several years ago -- gradually re-gained -- and now we are in the middle of the holiday season. Just trying on last year's Christmas shirts is enough to send me into depression!
Hopefully we can be a support for each other. I know this site is great -- and reading that other people have similar struggles is somehow comforting to me, because I so often feel like the only overweight person in the room/family/store.

Wannabehealthy 12-15-2014 09:25 AM

It's good to see some recent posts on this thread. My weight has been stalled for so long. I go up and down the same few pounds. I have been over 50 for quite a while now, so it's nothing new to me. LOL

I'm hoping to at least maintain over the holidays. Trying to make sure there's healthy foods in the house for me to eat. Everyone else is thin and eat what they want. I am the healthiest eater in the family and I stay fat. Go figure!

SherylR 07-21-2015 02:45 PM

Turning 50

When I was approaching 50 this year, that is what got me motivated to do something about my health. I was 255lbs, the largest I have ever been in my life! Fortunately I have a wonderful Aunt who told me about IP. I have been on it since 6 Feb 2015 and have lost 62lbs as of today. I'm so excited but at the same time, can't wait to finish. This side of 50 is going to be the best time of my life!:cheer:

katiam247 07-30-2015 12:23 PM

SherylR, congrats on your weight loss. I did the same thing when I was going to turn 50, lost 43 lbs and got into onederland. Unfortunately, I did not stay on my plan and gained all my weight back and more. Hoping this time, 7 years later, I won't do the same thing again.

BillBlueEyes 07-30-2015 01:18 PM

Oops...This thread exceeds the magic limit of 500 posts.

Would some kind soul start the new thread?

BillBlueEyes 07-30-2015 07:03 PM

Thanks, katiam247, for starting the new thread:

Losing weight at 50 - Part 2