Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Karen-- I would love to find out it is just allergies BUT the flu crud is running around here already! So many people have it. Try to be careful and not put myself where I know it is but heck--it is everywhere! I was just hoping that I could get my flu shot before it hit! Guess I will get it as soon as I get over whatever this is! Don't know if I'm going to make my walk this afternoon or not--- the energy is draining quick!!

Congrats on your 1st place win again!! YAY!!!

Last edited by Karen31; 10-04-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #32  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...

Dee - good to see you!

Gayle - hope your throat is better (CK - you, too!)

CK - any yoga you can do will do you good. The stretching is such a boon to old bones and joints... and one wonders why I don't do it, knowing that it would be so good for me??

Bobbi - did they finish with the destruction of your backyard yet? Insofar as the debates, some local stuffed head said that he was so bored with all the tax yak that he had to leave the room... I was pretty disappointed with them. They were flat, but I do think Romney came out ahead this time. I'll bet the next two will be more interesting!

We haven't had snow yet, but maybe tomorrow. I don't expect much. It'd be nice to have a real winter for once; it's been years. We either get nothing all season or we get dumped on once and then nothing more. The bugs never get killed, so summer's way yucky.

Better get to work. Everyone, have a good one... later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 10-04-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My first week of Weight Watchers was a success. I lost 5.4 lbs. It's the same 5 lbs I've been losing and regaining, but it's a loss and I intend to keep going.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #34  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Brrrrrrr...it's 32 degrees right now. Last night after I went to bed I started thinking about how cold it was out. Then I thought of my myer lemon tree still outside. I went barefoot out to get it, good thing or it would have frozen to death.
KarenMo...I found some yoga instructions on line and couldn't even do the simple tree pose. My balance left with my youth, dang. Look up the tree pose before you invest in a class, you can get an idea what you're in for.
Quote:
My sister and I were looking at the yoga exercises on the Wii yesterday... has anyone tried them? Do they seem to help or would be wasting our time trying them? I don't want to join a yoga class because I just don't think I would go...maybe this would be a good start???

K3...I'll post the recipe when I finish gabbing. I have some many butternut squash to use up, that's why I tackled this recipe. It made 33 buns, I took some over to DD and she loved the color and taste moistness of the buns. Maybe that's not a good word to describe them, soft and colorful.
Cajun...wish I'd been smarter about our finances earlier when DH retired. I've never had to worry about money before, guess I thought we'd never run out. Too bad they don't have a smilie of an ostrich with her head in the sand, that's me.
Carol Sue...5.4 pounds is very impressive, congrats!
Donna...yup, the crew is gone, we're left with a dinasour buried in the corner of our yard. They had to take out 5 trees for the burial. DH has it all seeded in, unfortunately we have to water it and there is sooooo much ground to cover. Please God, send us some rain. Or I'd take snow, it snowed in Northern Minnesota yesterday.
Glynne...I'm guessing you pick up lots of nasty stuff working in a hospital, do you take Vitamin C on a regular basis? Maybe you don't have to because you live in sunny Texas.

Rosey...a few years ago I wanted a handmade quilt with native american things on it. I drew a bunch of Indian pictures, transfered them to white quilting squares and had both my mom and mil embroidery them. Then took the squares and more material to a lady that hand sewed them all together and she made me a really nice quilt. She charged me plenty too. I have it stored somewhere, I should probably take it out and display it instead of saving it for when I croak.
Quote:
i finished the embroidery on my quilt squares,just need to sew it together now

Dee...funny what comes out of the mouths of our parents. When my mom first started getting alzheimers, she would ask me who that man was that roamed around the house. She had the strangest look on her face when I told her it was her husband. Sometimes it's hard but we all tried to find the humor in the situation.
Rie....guess I never asked, just assumed you're divorced? You do everything that men usually do and do it so well and I never hear you speak of a DH? Maybe your daddy was smart enough to teach you all those chores even tho you were a girl. Thanks Dad!
Freda...you still have young grandkids in sports? I'm dreading hockey season, I hate that sport. I think it's boring and I freeze to death. But Lukas is the goalie and he so appreciates when we attend his games. They don't stay young very long so here to another season of hockey.
Time to get going, I'll be back with the recipe K3.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-05-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #35  
Bobbi

Recipe taken from allrecipes.com

Quote:
Winter Squash Rolls

Rated:Prep Time: 30 MinutesReady In: 2 Hours 45 MinutesSubmitted By:TRACEY_MITCHELLCook Time: 45 MinutesServings: 12
"Use butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkin, delicata squash, or other winter squash to make these soft golden dinner rolls."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups cubed winter squash
1 cup scalded milk
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45
degrees C)
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup shortening
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small saucepan, cover squash cubes with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and mash.2.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine 5 cups flour, sugar and salt. Stir in the yeast mixture, shortening, squash and milk. Mix well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.3.Divide the dough into twelve equal pieces and form into rounds. Place the rounds in a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.4.Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #36  

Height: 5'1"

Hi GG's

Burrr, chilly morning. Feels so good. Didn't work yesterday, I got L/C. Ok with me. But I have to work the weekend.

Karen, I did watch Midwives. Times have changed a lot, but some things never change, do they?

Rie, Showed those Guys Girls do it better huh? Smurked a little too? I would have.

Carol Sue, WW does work. Most diets work. It's just finding one you can stick with for the long run. Congratulation.

Bobbi, Take that quilt out and use it! I've finally come to realize that my family won't appreciate the things I treasure. I use them and enjoy them every day. Still have 2 Grands in sports. My grands are just 9 and 12. I'll be sitting outside in the sun and rain and snow for a long time. The only thing they don't play is hockey. Except for indoor soccer, my winters are free. Except for dance. So, I guess never.

Dee, After working in the hospital for so many years, I think I have seen everything. Had a preacher in that crused and tried to grab us every time we went in. When we told his wife she didn't believe us, untill she saw for herself. It was so hard on her. I'll never forget the tears when she told us this was so not him. A stroke can do that, and we understand that. Harder on the family than us.

Karen31, Flu season hasn't really started yet. We just got our flu shots this week. Can't get them with a cold but as soon as you feel better, get one, if that is what you usually do. Had your shingle shot or pneumonia yet?

Gayle, feel better.

Have a good day,

Freda
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies,
Im packedvand loaded. Just waiting for noon to leave. I'm looking forward to my weekend.
Ds moved into their house in Wyoming. That should be better than a hotel room. He had a day off yesterday and purchased a gun. Phone was ringing off the hook here from his debit card company. They put fraud on his account and froze his account until we straightened it out. That's the 2 time they have done that in 3 weeks. They are on top of his account. I guess it's because the account is here in la. And he is in Wyoming. It's good that they watch for things like that but a pain to fix.

Freda~ we are expecting couple day of cool weather then hot again.

Bobbi ~ your recipe sounds yummy

Carol sue~ yay!!!!! Congrats on the weight loss. You can do it!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Donna~in Denver I would have thought your winters were harsh.

Karem31~ I hope you start feeling better and it's not the flu.

Hello to all!!!! Be back Monday. Y'all have a good weekend.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #39  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...

WE GOT SNOW! It was just a dusting on the grassy areas, but it's SNOW. I'm excited! It's really pretty!

Cajun - back in the olden days, we did have harsh winters, but no more. Global warming has affected our weather, too, as it has everyone else's. We're lucky (yes, lucky!) to get a couple of good snows in the season, these days. Hope your DS is happier in the house; I'll bet he is!

Off to get ready for work. Hope Friday is a good one for everyone! Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 10-05-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 245/241/140

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning Goldies,
I'm not going to write a long post this time as I have tons of work to get done and I got up late this morning too. 8 AM.

I took a few pics of the kitchen but it wont mean much to you gals as you didn't see it before I painted etc.
However, I'm going to take some of the dining room BEFORE I do any work and then some afterwards. I got my curtains for the DR done, and the other day I cut the trim for around the doors in the kitchen and put it up. I've put 3 coats of paint on it and I think that'll do it. I debated putting polyurethane on the trim, but, the trim around all the windows and the door going outside are all painted so I decided to go that way with this trim too.
Yesterday I also took most everything out of the DR and put Frog tape around the mop boards and taped paper over the window, took off all the plates from the plug-ins and light switches and took down the light fixture. So, today I start painting. I hope it goes well.

Sometime in the next couple of days I have to take the rail off one end of my deck too and replace it. It rotted at one end and I can't figure out why. Anyway, more work. Blast it anyway! I wanted to paint my deck this fall, but, I think it might be too cold now. Anybody know what the lowest temp is to do outdoor painting?

Next time I go shopping I'm going to pick up a butternut squash. That recipe sounds sooo good Bobbi.

Everybody have a great day. I'll put the pics on here when I get the DR done. ..... Carbie
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #41  
Bobbi

Carbie...pretty cold to be replacing your deck rail today, I'm just sayin'.
Remember the old Alfred Hitchcock movie, "The Birds"?
I had a weird sensation going over my head this morning, like a loud roar and the sky's darkening. It was black Grackles migrating, the roar was thousands of birds chirping and landing in all the trees. I took a picture of our burial grounds and one of the trees full of birds. Kind of hard to tell but all those black specks in the tree are birds.
Our corner yard is pretty barren and ugly.
Donna...thanks for the idea of chili today, that's the first recipe of those you emailed me this morning. I'm making mile high corn bread to go with it. I lost my recipe for it (cornbread), but I know they whipped the egg whites, then folded them in for a light airy corn bread. I probably can use any recipe, just whip and fold in the egg whites at the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1402 (480x640).jpg (31.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1403 (640x480).jpg (50.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-05-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi girls!

Last night I did a long post and lost it. This one is being written in word. I worked out this morning even though I feel a little under the weather I caught the cold bug that is after Gayle and Karen. How are we sharing that online? I mean, I have heard of computer viruses but the kitchen table we are sitting at with our coffee is only in my mind. Isn't it

Today I have some work to do and then I will pick up the camper to put it away. I already can't wait to pull it out next spring! My kids will pull into town next Saturday night, moving their stuff. It will be so great.

Bobbi, I got divorced when I was 32. But, I was raised on a farm and I have done lots of untraditional stuff all my life. (I am a former race car and demolition derby driver ). When I was young, I preferred to be out working with dad instead of doing house work, although all the women in my family worked the farm. I helped with repairs of all kinds and ran lots of equipment. I started driving truck (on the roads) at the age of 12. When I got my driver's license at 15, my dad required that I prove that I could change a tire by myself before I was allowed to drive my car. LOL I also could weld, use a cutting torch, and work on engines by the time I was in high school. Unfortunately, I have always despised wood working. IDK why. But, all in all, Thanks Dad! Farm Girl!

Donna, no snow here yet. I would welcome it in a week or so after we get the beets harvested. Mild frosts here the last couple of nights and I have covered the garden. It is good when it freezes because our sugar beets have more sugar after a frost. My son took sugar beets and pictures over to dgs's kindergarten class this morning to teach a lesson on where sugar comes from. I guess they really liked it. He had to stop a couple of the boys from eating too much of the cut up beets - LOTS of fiber and can cause....

CarolSue, Great job on the 5#! That is terrific!

Karen, I hope you are feeling better. I love the yoga on the wii and I have been unable to do the yoga cd's that I have. The wii yoga is so basic, starts slow and is really good for you. I program it into the wii fit plaza under "my routines" and it is at the end of my strength training. I also did a little mini routine for my mom and she does it. Try it!

Carbie, I think the lowest temp is around 50 but it can be really hard to get paint to cure at those low temps. I would wait until spring.

Cajun, enjoy the weekend! Have fun!

Freda, I smirked my way all the way home.... I am just getting started with the kids activities... They are little guys. I am sure that they will be involved in 4H before long.

Dee, hoping things are going well for you. The cycle of life means that we end up caring for our parents in much the same way that they cared for us. Of course, the alternative is that we lose them earlier. Sad.

Karenfl, what kind of tourney do you have this weekend? I enjoy hearing about it.

Gayle, this should be your last day at work this week. Hoping you feel better.

Well, sorry for anyone I missed.... having a senior moment here.... Have a great day!

Rie

Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Howdy from the sunshine state....Still having a shower every day followed by heat and steam. Dash wore his thunder shirt last night.

Last night played in the 26th ACBl national game and afterwards you get a booklet written by a pro telling you what you should have done. Had a hand where my partner never spoke during the bidding and the opponents were over bidding me. Finally I bid 5 clubs and opponent slaps down a penality card to double me. I was so proud of me mentally rolling up my sleeves and totally focusing on playing the hand....played my socks off and made the contract, so my score with the penality insult was 750 instead of 600. Damn that was good.....Until I got home and read the pro.....that was exactly what he said would happen....normal!!!!!!

Funny how different farm areas are...growing up in fruit farm/orchard country they made a lot of cider....mostly apple. DH's grandfather made the best and his secret was throwing in one sugar beet in each pressing. This is true cider undilluted apple juice with no perservative. Name of the farm was Crystal Springs and he used the spring water until the state came in and said he had to chlorine the water. He shut the mill down. Now they can't even use dropped apples( may have deer poop) even thro we always washed the apples....sometimes what you don't know doesn't hurt you....case in point did you drink out of a hose growing up? Bet you believed in the 10 second law for dropped food? And never stepped on a crack!

i followed a woman last night that left a used tissue at every table. Closest I touched them was with my shoe. It was nasty.

Just realized that next Sunday the 14th is our 54th wedding anniverasy. Been friends for 72 years and they said it won't last. I want to call and make an appointment to get his Jeep detailed, but he never leaves.....who you calling whatchya doing......I'll get in my car and use the cell....

Gee, who sent all their doves South. There are so many here. 3 sizes...Ringneck(size of chickens) Mourning(noisy) and wee ground doves(eat constantly). Came home this afternoon and roof was teeming with gray cranky chickens running around. There were over 200 on the line waiting for breakfast this morning.

The phone has rung 3x while writing this...Do pollsters really believe you're not lying????

No personals just a rambling tired old bridger....Didn't get home until way after 12M....and had to read the booklet etc....k3
Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Just a quick post this afternoon. Still feeling yucky!! Freda, I did get a pnumonia shot a few years ago so I know I have a few more years before I need that again. At this point I can't afford the shingles shot---way too much money. And I haven't had my flu shot yet this year so as soon as I get over this bug I'll be down to get it. Sure don't have any energy today! Glad I put a pot of beans on to cook last night and I'll make some Jiffy corn bread to go with it, then my energy will be gone again. Anyway, just thought that I would pop in for a minute. Hope everyone has a good evening and anybody that has picked up this bug-- hope you feel better.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #45  
Bobbi

Closed Thread