Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi Goldens!

I am trying desperately to get back on track here. Amazing how a little illness and stress can send me down the wrong path. The denial was finally broken when I put on my (formerly) baggy fishing jeans the other night and had to suck in my gut to button them. They are still baggy in the butt and legs but tight over my bulging belly. I guess it isn't a good jeans week for the goldens!

So, this morning I got up with the sun and did an hour of walkitout. For me, it seems that exercise drives the whole thing. I eat less and move more when I get that workout done. As I sit here typing and eating my breakfast, I feel good. Why I forget this from time to time, I will never know.... I also have a 5k walk on Saturday. Better get my fat you know what moving! My 65 year old aunt is doing it with me again this year and she could walk any of us into the ground! I don't want her to have to slow down for me.

BTW.... My ticker is a liar! I refuse to move it - using it as motivation to get back

Gayle, as you can see from my post, you are not alone....

Karenfl, I think you should invite the bankers and insurance guys to the swamps for some Florida fun. Perhaps they would get it then.

Rosey, I hope you are feeling better and that the guys are home safe. Sorry they didn't get a moose. Is that a one-shot deal or can they try again this year?

Dee, I am so sorry about your parents. There is some comfort in the fact that they are at least happy in their world for the most part. I hope you are able to rest your shoulder. LOL on the wino comment. I was planning my basic menus last night and decided that I need to save calories for my wine.... Life is short, right?

Donna, your "lather the lard" comment cracks me up every time.

Isabella? Where are you?

Bobbi, my youngest ds and his family will be moving here soon. They are so excited at the prospect of raising their large garden and canning and preserving food. I look forward to it as a family activity - like my own childhood. I am with Donna in hoping for good thoughts and good offers for you.

Carbie, I sure like your name. You remind me that I have so many projects around this house that need to be done. I need to make a list and start chipping away at them. Scrubbing down my kitchen cabinets is definitely on the list. Eww. My ds does the housekeeping as his rent and my house is starting to look like a MAN is cleaning, if you know what I mean

CarolSue, sorry about your sister.

Freda, what's up? How are you?

CaddyKaren, have a safe trip home. Did you have a good visit?

Cajun, I am confused, are your "camps" kind of like cabins that you go to every weekend?

Ginger, you are doing so great. An inspiration!

Well, off to face the day!

Rie
Old 09-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #197  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi everyone. I haven't been on lately as I've had a bad back. Bent down to get a knife out of the cupboard and couldn't straighten up. I'm much better now.

Donna, thanks for caring enough to inquire. You're a good woman.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hey goldies,
We are back from our weekend camping with friends. We had so much fun. We fished on their party barge. We caught 47 very large crappie. They fried some Saturday night and again for lunch Sunday. Not so good for my diet but we rarely get to catch that kind of fish and they are some of the best eating fish out there. I ate them and didn't look back. Tomorrow on the scale it will show too and I will be crying. Nothing going on this week but the heat and work. We were supposed to finish cleaning the camp this past weekend but went fishing instead. Was going to do this coming weekend but it's going to be so hot. We might hold off on that until it cools off.
I wore my new sized jeans this weekend and they did stretch a little so they were comfortable. They took our picture with the fish we caught and I can actually say it's the first picture I've seen that didn't disgust me. Dh was looking at them this morning and he said look at you all slim and trim. I think he was seeing things. As I have 39 lbs to go. I guess you could say he's a proud husband.

Dee~ LMBO. I guess those old folks still have the thoughts if nothing else. We don't like to think our parents do that. But after all they are human too. Just too funny.

Donna~I couldnt read it but found it on the web. I know it's not a good situation, but I couldn't help but laugh.

Gayle~I'm all to familiar with your problem. I think all overweight people go through this. Drugs and alcohol are not the only addictions. Food is an addiction too. I've never done drugs and I'm not addicted to alcohol but in my opinion food has to be the hardest because it not something you can stop completely like the other things. We need this to survive and it's always around us tempting us. Just think where you would be if you were not trying at all. Keep trying. Never give up!!!!

Karen31~I bought 2 pairs of new jeans lady week and tried on both of them because the 1st pair one leg was tighter than the other. I'm glad your enjoying your trip. Have a safe trip home.

Carbie~welcome. These goldies are wonderful people. I always go to this page any time I get on computer. They are just like old friends. They listen when I cry worry or I'm happy. Or just want to vent. Lol about that overactive fork. I have the exact same thing!!!!

Maryea~ hi Mary. Miss you. Hope everything is going well with your family.
Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Karenfl~did you get your flood insurance fixed yet? I can relate to the hot weather. We had a couple cool fronts that spoiled me. We fished for crappie this weekend. The ones we caught were really big. We had 47. I'm going to try the cocoa butter when I get some. Its on my walmart list.

Ginger~congrats on wearing your new pants for your picnic. Feels great huh!!! Did you enjoy your picnic? I bet it was hot. We camped and fished this weekend on Old River and it was hot.

Ginger~your new room sounds pretty. I just made a small change on my appearance. It helps pick up your spirits and helps to keep me motivated. I'm saving the complete makeover with lots of shopping for when I reach my goal.

Bobbie~I would love to have apples and raspberries here. They don't grow here. I would love to have cherries too. Do you have cherries? I'm sure you will miss your fruit trees when you finally sell your home.

Rosey~I'm glad your dh made it out safely. Will he get another chance to get a moose. His friend is lucky your dh was there to rescue him. Scary situation.

Isabella~glad to hear from you. Sometimes it takes the simplest moves to hurt ourselves. Was it a pulled muscle. Those hurt. Glad you are better.

Carol sue~my dh said the same thing. I'm proving him wrong. He's going to eat those words!!

Rie~congrats for getting right back on and not giving up. To answer your question we have a summer camp about 40 minutes from our home. We go there from march to September and fish. It's a very old 3 bedroom 1 bath house. But it's in very good shape. We try to keep it up.
The hunting camp is about 55 minutes away and it's. 3bedroom 1 bath mobile home. We built an outdoor kitchen and patio on the front of it. We go there from October to February. We are rarely home on weekends. Camping is something we both grew up doing with our parents. So now we do with our boys.

Hello to all
Hugs
Cajun
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #199  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Cajun - what a great post! Thanks for doing the personals... And how is your son doing? Has OSHA made any determinations?

I am TOTALLY wasting the day today! I still have a couple of hours, so maybe I should just dig in and do SOMETHING. (bah)

Rie - feel better!

Isabella - glad you see your lovely smiling face!

Okay, I'm off to attempt to earn my keep today. (bah)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #200  

this is me cuz the suns shining today. rosey
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #201  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....Perfect day down here except a/c still running. But the humidity is much lower and the sun did shine and we won at bridge...hmmmm new partner and we came in first with 17 tables!

LOL at Dee's momma story. Many years ago when I was a DON at a nursing home in a a small southern town we had an unmarried couple who would try to do the"nasty" on the front porch. Both mid 80's. Anyway I gave the staff the lecture starting with "remember when you figured out your mother and father did it twice....cause there is you and your brother...ewwww!" Set up a time schedule and got a Do Not Disturb door sign and they were allowed alone time twice a week. I figured when the town peachers and leaders showed up I has going to be hung, but instead with much laughter they thanked me.Oh and yes the couple did really enjoy themselves!

Rie...Attat girl for getting back to exercise. When you have 2 grandsons to keep up with, you have even more exercise.

Cajun...Our neighbor has apples. They pick them in June. Small but look like yellow delcious. Good eating and cooking. We can't grow lilacs. peonies or tulips/daffs. They need nights of good cold. DH and buddy caught 3 redfish today...rather brought 3 home the rest were too big and had to be thrown back.

Cardi....welcome home....The GG have become a sisterhood and we all watch/advise and worry about each other. Someone always has an opinion and suggestion. And if there is a problem you can't handle we send Donna with her rolling pin to straight things out. You can love her but don't mess with her she has been training with a couple to strong Cats! Isabella got back here just in time.

OMG what a good dinner I just made. Had leftover grilled vegies, little hot sausage, fresh mushroom, onions and peppers, chopped up and sauteed then poured egg beaters over that and baked 10 minutes...threw cheese on top and finished. Fabulous flavor and refrig is clean....who say I can't multitask!

Bobbi.....any word of last couple?

Off to put my feet up. I have just so many sit/stands in my left knee and ran out of them about an hour too soon. Sucker aches right now. Not that awful pain had last month this is like a toothache...Oh ladies...be kind to us old folks after all I am probably the same age as your momma......k3

Last edited by Karen3; 09-24-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Isabella - Welcome back! I'm sorry you hurt your back. Just bend the wrong way and wammy! Hope you feel better soon.

Cajun
- I understand why my husband thinks I will never lose the weight, because I've said that sooo many times....for years. But it would be nice if he gave a little encouragement. I know when I start to lose and he notices he will try to sabotage me. Why? Years ago I lost a good bit and he told my friend that he won't tell me it looks good because then I'll think I can quit trying. He's wrong. One nice word and I would try harder, so I could hear another compliment.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 09-24-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #203  

We are doing ok except my left thumb joint is swollen and painful. Not sure what happen...do not remember bumping it. Started last Thurs or Friday. Can't lift much with it ..due to the pain only I think...and often I forget and then yelp. If it's not better soon, will have it checked but I think I might have just bruised or sprained it somehow. It is not discolored or cold to touch and I can move it...just hurts. Other than that we are good. It was a beautiful day today, perfect temp. Went to the gym, stayed home rest of day doing housework and a little gardening.

Karen3 I tried your chicken soup tonight and we liked it.

Deelee - About your mom...remember the brain is the main sex organ...and one never forgets, most people just don't talk about it as they age, but it's still there...and sometimes when one ages ...and experience dementia or strokes or whatever trauma life brings us, we lose our inhibitions and talk about it. Nurses often laugh at the things old people say...I had one lady who wasn't that far from death who cried as she told me she'd never had an orgasm. I didn't know what to say so I just said, I'm sorry (which I was).

Glynne - Just skimmed through the posts and saw yours. Love your new picture! Yes, we had fun with the grandkids. Mama knew she wouldn't get here til late so she asked us to put them to bed early as the oldest one had school today and if he doesn't get enough sleep it's hard to get him up in time. I got them to bed on time but his little sister was being playful (including lots of bouncing!) and kept him from sleeping, so finally moved her onto our bed...funny, she was afraid to sleep by herself in the office (where we have a little bed they have slept in together many times in the past), but she was fine in our big bed. But then the older one was scared so I had to lay down with him. Meantime the little one was quietly talking and singing to herself and finally fell a sleep on our bed. Worked out fine though as before we were ready for bed mama came home and dh helped her get them into the car still asleep.

Last edited by maryea; 09-24-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #204  

Mary, is it possible that you have gout? When I get it it is always in the base joint of my thumb. Very painful. Sour Cherry supplement is the best preventative but you may need to see the dr. Hugs
Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #205  

I don't think it's gout. Usually the area looks red and is warm/hot with gout. This is not. And the pain is not bad, just weak and hurts a little when I pick up something or I bump it.

Last edited by maryea; 09-24-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #206  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Greetings to you, I feel like a zombie today. DD called and woke us up around 10:30. I hate that, always expect bad news. GS is running back and forth to Rochester for school and his job. (about 60 miles one way) He had to give up his apartment because of the expense. His car is running on fumes and he was stranded out on the interstate, ran out of gas. He needs to find a job and school around here but you can't tell kids anything, they know it all.
We didn't get any offers on the house yet, we're going to keep the house on the market but settle in for the long cold winter. On Saturday our realtor is having another open house, after that I'm going to put all the lawn and shade garden furniture away, pull all the potted plants.
I forget who asked if we had a cherry tree, yes and the birds got all the cherries before I could get them picked.
Isabella and Mary, glad you surfaced. I was missing you both, good thing we have mother hen to look out for us...Hi DONNA.
K3...Your recipes always sound delicious, unfortunately I can't use campbell soups. They all have MSG in them and gives me a migraine headache.
Rie...You always have soooooooo many irons in the fire. Does Montana all have the mound septic systems like Minnesota? (for rural folks). The crew have to take down 3 of our trees before they can start digging. Bruce moved two of our small apple trees, they were only about 4 feet high and babies yet. I had to move my strawberries too, what a pain in the a$$ this project is.
Speaking of the crew, I better go put my face on before they get here, don't want to scare them.
I'll be back later for personals, I have the time this morning.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 09-25-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #207  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG’s,

One day down ~ 3 to go. Got out late last night by 3 ½ hours. There comes a point when you are already so late, you might as well finish up stuff instead of leaving it for tomorrow and having to start the day behind before you even begin. That works, unless they say I have to get out on time.

Went out to ride my bike this morning ~ creatures abound. Black and white cat (not ours) napping in the driveway. And a giant green bug on the chair by the garage. I tried to take a picture of it with my phone, but it came out all blurry and I didn’t want to get that close to it again. I told my husband to beware of the giant green bug when he went out this morning. He said what? I repeated myself ~ he said, I don’t know what you mean. I don’t know what he thought ~ maybe that I was speaking in code or something ~ LOL. He is not a fan of creepy crawlies.

Rosey ~ glad the sun was shining where you are

Ok, I’d better get going. Fun time is over. Hopefully I will get out on time tonight and can come back and visit.

Hope you all have a good day.

Got a text message a minute ago ~ DH ~ despite his aversion to creepy crawlies ~ took a picture of that bug with his phone ~ braver than I thought, or just wanted to prove he could do it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yucky bug.jpg (8.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #208  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning goldies,
Today is crying day. I have to move my ticker back. I gained 2.5 lbs. That's what I lost last week. I knew the weekend was going to get me. That fried fish sure was good though. Oh well I'm only going to go forward from here. I will get this off again. I hate do overs.
We plowed ds lot yesterday afternoon. Dh is going to let it dry and plow again. Then he will call the dirt man to do the pad for his house. I sent pictures of dh plowing his lot. He called when he got off work and was so excited. I was out there taking pics. I will keep taking pics through the process so he can see what we done when he returns. I did that when we got our new home and its nice to go back and look at them. So far he is doing ok. They made him take a fatigue day Saturday because he had worked 26 days straight. Usually they say 17 days is the cutoff for the days worked. He had just told me Thursday he was very tired and was getting the mouth ulcers and catching a cold. I guess it was due to stress and being overworked. I'm not sure if I could survive 26 12 to 14 hour days in a row. They are now telling him he might not return until December. .

Donna~thanks for the compliment. I hate seeing my goldies struggling. I know how I feel when the diet is not going good. Ds is doing ok so far. OSHA fined them 60 k for 12 citations 11 of them being serious. They said the issues were failure to develop and implement safe work practices, lack of employee training and operating procedures, failure to inspect equipment and correct deficiencies, and inadequate first aid supplies. This was the first explosion in may. They still 3 more explosions to go. They said there is still an open case from June 2011 with 66 violations 44 of them serious.

Rosy~you always make me smile with your dancing people.

Karenfl~ Whst do you win when you play bridge? I play pokeno once a month and we play for 1 thru 3 place and the least amount of wins gets booby. We used to play for household items but ran out of ideas so now it's for cash. We put up 8$ a month and they divide that. I've been playing with this group of 12 ladies for 30 years. I wasn't even married when I started.

Carol sue~I know my dh was the same way until he saw that I was sticking to it this time and had results. Give him time he'll come thru. Just keep pecking away at it and tell yourself you are awesome and can do this! You and I have about the same amount left to lose. We can do this!!!!!!!!!

Mary~ glad you are ok. How's the thumb today?

Bobbi~ I was the one that asked about the cherry tree. The birds used to peck my dads tomatoes. It would make him so mad. We went to a garden supply store and bought this bid net. He put it over his whole garden. The birds couldn't see it and they would land and get their wings caught in it. They could get out of it but it took them a minute. My dad would sit under his patio and watch those birds and just laugh his heart out. Of course he laughed at anything for entertainment. I've never saw a grown man laugh so hard at the cartoon road runner. So you know them birds were certainly entertaining to him. I know that was off subject but it was a fond memory that came to my mind. Miss that man so much. But anyway they never got another tomatoe.

Gayle~ I think we have that kind of bug here. My kids call it daddy long legs. Hope your 3 days go by fast.

Washer is calling me si I gotta go. Hello to all.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 09-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #209  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello Gals. Beside having a sore back, MIL's apple tree is ready for picking and DH has brought home the equivalent of a dump truck full of apples (well, maybe not quite that many). I had to put off processing them for about a week because of the back but finally late last week I made about 50 jars of applesauce and froze I don't know how many apple slices. Also made apple muffins, apple pancakes and apple pie and gave away a supermarket bagful to a neighbour. I still have 2 laundry baskets full of apples awaiting the knife. The apple tree is one that probably grew from a golden delicious apple core. The apples are yellow and huge for a wild tree and they make good apple sauce but break down in a pie but still tastes really good. I really like applesauce with plain yogurt and it's really good with pancakes as well, especially if the pancakes are spread with peanut butter and a drizzle of pancake or maple syrup.

I put on weight during August and September. I'm blaming it on the upheaval of summer traveling and the readjustment of being home again. It's the night eating that's doing me in as I'll make a BIG snack out of anything in the cupboards or frig. And I can turn anything healthy into junk by the addition of fat, salt, sugar or globs of cheese. . . sigh. . . I think I'm starting to mellow out again and get back to my usual routine.

Gayle, I'd love to see that bug. I'm rather enamored with the creatures if they don't bite or sting. BTW, love your new picture.

Must go clean up the kitchen and then go for a bike ride to nowhere.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #210  

Hi Goldens!

Happy Tuesday! I am feeling better and got in my weight lifting this morning. Breakfast was an egg with extra egg whites scrambled with onions, zucchini and tomato. Yum. The egg whites add lots of volume and don't add hardly any more calories. With the veggies, I don't even miss the extra yolks. (there you have it - Val's tip of the day) lol

Plans are final and gs Gabriel will be arriving for good on 10/13. He is bringing his dad. Youngest ds was able to get a job transfer here. His mom will remain in Grand Forks and then come over after the term is over at Christmas. I am so excited! Gabe is too. He keeps asking his parents, "Can I go to the Grandmas now?" Mostly when he is mad at his parents. Of course, he will like me less when he is here all the time. LOL

Rosey, glad that you are having a good day!

Gayle, good for you for getting out on your bike. LOL on the giant green bug. That is one of the good things about the north - bugs can't grow very big here. But, the spiders know that winter is coming and they are sure getting in the house. EWWW. I am very phobic about them. Ds is going to have to do a bug bomb as soon as we are all out of the house.

Donna, thanks for being the leader/crone/mom . We definitely need one!

Isabella, feel better. Back pain is the worst - every move hurts, right?

Karenfl, yay on the bridge victory! That is a good win. I laughed about your nursing home story. Animals never lose the desire for sex, I have never been sure why we think that humans do as we age. My dad has developed a fondness for going without clothes in the privacy of his home. I dread what will happen if he gets dementia. He will be in the front yard watering the lawn in his birthday suit. <facepalm> I told him I will staple his clothes to him. He just laughed!

Cajun, that is interesting about how you guys camp. How lucky you are to have those options! We would call those settings "cabins". Camping is much more primitive here or involves expensive RV's.

Bobbi, no, we have in-ground septic systems. Are they considered polluting? I know that we can't have them near water sources, etc. I wondered when you mentioned about putting them "above ground". I wonder if it has to do with the ground water levels. Around here, water is down at least 25 - 50 feet. I bet it is a lot closer there.

CarolSue, I have a saying: "boys are dumb". Your ds doesn't think in the same way that you do.

Dee, hoping things are ok.

Mary, glad that you enjoyed the kids. I am happy that they are near you. My grandparents were a part of my daily life when I was young. I am so happy that my kids are able/have chosen to provide that to their kids. I am sure that you understand.

Hi Carby! How's it going? How do you like us so far?

Sorry for missing anyone. I gotta go!

Rie

Closed Thread