Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #316  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! Last night I forgot to take my meds after dinner. Later I was busy baking some zucchini bread and I knew it was about time for my evening snack so as I scraped out the bowl, I allowed myself a couple tablespoons of batter (I know not a good thing). After I had the bread in the oven, I decided to have my regular evening snack. I hadn't planned on testing my bs but for some reason I thought perhaps I should and it was 450!! Then I remembered I hadn't taken my meds. I took them then and needless to say did not eat that snack. That's the highest bs I've ever had, but I felt fine, no symptoms at all. I have forgotten my meds before after dinner (but I can take them anytime as it's just twice a day) and now it makes me wonder how often it has been that high. But this morning my bs was actually lower than it has been recently although it was still high. I told my dh if I ever doubted I am a diabetic (I used to doubt it but haven't for a while now), this proved to me that I am. Got a good workout at the gym and when I got home my bs was very very good. This bs thing can be a real puzzle to figure out sometimes. Sometimes the same thing (foods/workout/meds) works one time and not the next.

Jess - Yeah when a computer isn't working, it can be terrible. I use Mozy for my backups but I have used Carbonite too. Mozy is the only one I have ever used to restore though so I'm more comfortable with it. It wasn't easy for me the first time I restored though..I don't know why as the second time it seemed so easy. It is also good to have a backup for when you get a new computer. I don't like to have to do it myself so an online service is best for me. You can get a certain amount free but to get more you have to pay. I pay about $5 a month and for me it is well worth it.

Rie - Sorry about the men spoiling your alone time but glad they didn't hurt you. I can understand that being scary! You are a brave woman doing all you do alone.

Smn11 - Hope you can get your A1C results soon. I usually get my A1C results right away while I'm in the office. They get the blood from my finger and test right there. But the last time they kept getting an error message so they drew it from my arm and I had to wait for results. One thing I really like about my clinic now is that they now have an online site for patients where you can get your lab results. I think they like it too because they don't have to call or mail out the results. It does take a day or two to get their email that it is available on the site. I like the smaller more frequent meal idea as I naturally like to eat that way however I am finding unless I get only one carb at the meal I have go at leas 3-4 hours between meals now. Diabetes is dynamic so it can change quickly. Just test to be sure it's working for you. I've been surprised sometimes now that I'm testing more often. GFY on the exercise..that usually helps at least. Some people say very very intense exercise can actually drive it up temporarily but the kind I think most of us do will only help. Good luck...although I wouldn't wish it on anyone I am glad to know I'm not alone in trying to figure this all out!

Cajun- Feel for you and your son. A mother carries these things I know. I have four children and my heart goes out to each of them daily and esp will with any one that I know is going through something difficult. I am praying for your son and you too in regard to your inner storm as well as the one in your area. Sounds like you've raised him right.

Glynne - So glad that you are sleeping better...so important to feeling better and losing weight even. Sometimes I feel I have everything against me in my weight loss journey...I don't sleep really well (hot flashes, up at night) but I am happy to report the HF are are finally easing...not as many and usually not so intense now, so I'm sleeping somewhat better...diabetes (still trying to get control), age (ok, can still lose but it is harder as metabolism is slower), and years and years of bad habits (getting better but still working on them). But then I remember that with God all things are possible. No matter what our obstacle there will be a way through, around or we will overcome it!

Karen3 - Glad you are ok, that's the main thing. Check in whenever you can

Retiredone - That cereal sounds like something I'd probably like. Can you believe it I still sometimes crave Cocoa Puffs?!! In my "trying my best to get fat and diabetic days" LOL I used to eat a lot of that cereal! Haven't had it in years now but I still think about it.

Last edited by maryea; 08-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good afternoon everyone. We sure had a good weekend and I love it! My cousins were here from Texas for her 50th high schoole reunion!! WOW!!! Everyone went to church then met up at Bob Evans for lunch. Lots of laughs and good times! There were 8 of us at the restaurant and I'm not sure they knew what hit them! LOL!!

Rie-- glad you had a good weekend in spite of the scare you had! OMG!! That would have scared me bunches!! Yes, I am still working out with the wii --- but not moving much weight right now. We had a cookout at my sisters with about 20 of us on saturday then BE on Sunday!! Oh well... I decided I'm fluffy and may to just live with it!

Got a person coming to check about doing some drainage work around the house--- I'll try to get back later.

Everyone have a good day
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #318  
GmaTo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
Cajun - how scary for you and for your ds! I hope all goes well and that he's very, very safe!

My picture has disappeared. I didn't remove it.

Hope you all have a good Saturday. It looks and smells like Fall, and I couldn't be happier!

Maybe I should have said that I was close personal friends with the bunnies and that I wasn't making fun of them?
To be clear, I didn't remove your pictures. Could the deletion be part of the rules/conditions of the site where you embellished them?

Last edited by Jane; 08-27-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #319  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi girls............nothing happening here on the house. We decided to go ahead and put in the new water waste system instead of having the buyers do it. We're just waiting for the second bid, 1st one was about $14,000. Perhaps that might entice someone to buy it. I'm mostly done with the apples, thank goodness. We're just about ready for the rummage sale, what a big job that was. Every year we clean out more and more, funny how you accumulate so much junk over the years. I'm never talk much in the late summer on this site, just too darn busy. I'm really looking forward to siting on the deck under the umbrella, reading my books and eating bonbons. Anybody heard from Lynn? She was going to throw the ice cream out and get back on plan. Guess I better go over and check the walking to Colorado thread.
Donna...what was the picture you posted that disappeared?
I'm going to crash now, maybe read the newspaper and do the crossword puzzle.
Bye
Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #320  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Jane - all I can say is "wow"........

Bobbi - the missing picture was of two bunnies jumping, saying something happy about it being a weekend.

Lynn posted within this past week, said she's thrown out all the ice cream and is trying to be back OP.

Last edited by jess1; 08-27-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #321  
Bobbi

How many of you gals still have a grandmother living? What's your fondest memory of her? I have a picture of us girls (2 sisters and myself) wearing the look alike dresses our grandmother made for us. Red dotted swiss, white yoke. She sewed them on an old pedal sewing machine. Remember them? Well, maybe not. I'm older than most of you.
K3...so glad the hurricane didn't take a direct hit on you.
Donna...post the picture again. I'm always up for a laugh.
KarenMo...I'm sure you're glad you moved back among your clan. I never hear much about tim's family, do they lived in Missouri too?
Mary...I've printed out a zillion recipes for zucchini bread, love it. I screwed up on the last two loaves I baked. I used a large zucchini that had too much water in it. I should have squeezed the water out, the loaves were almost uneatable.
Rie...wow, that experience chills me. I have a pistol in my car at all times, you never know when some weirdo will pop up. I'm not sure if I could shoot someone, but when your adrenaline is up, you never know.
Cajun I hate living in the midwest during tornado season, but hurricanes too! EEK. Very honorable son.
Isabella...you just said it all for me. That is....catching up with all the posts. I am going to quit before I address anyone else. sorry....DH is needing help lifting heavy containers of rummage stuff out of the basement. Tomorrow my brother is coming out with his pickup and trailer, yes ..........we have that much stuff to sell.
later gators.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #322  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Bobbi - have you heard anything about the condo? Any movement on selling your property? It all sounds like just so much work!! Is Tiff happy with her kitchen? Do you have pictures of the finished product to share?

Cajun - son okay?

Nothing to report. I need to get breakfast, get showered, ready, and heigh off to work. I hope the IT Idiot got the work computer fixed. I don't relish another day of perfecting my Bejeweled3 skills! Mostly, I feel guilty about taking pay for perfecting my Bejeweled 3 skills! (Thanks, nuns!)

Have a good Tuesday! Later, lovelies!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #323  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all from a bright sunny day in Florida....Just got back from hear aid office. OMG I love these new aids. I was having trouble with the "Tsk" sound and it over road everything else. Anyway, the tech checked them out and put in new recievers and new buds and everything is good. Oh for free!

Issac is heading for Cajun...I added her home to my prayers for her son last night. I guess it doesn't change you worry about the kids at any age. Actually the bigger they get the bigger the worry.

I am totally confused. Sat felt like Sunday and today is Monday....and tomorrow is Wednesday. Of course tomorrow will really get me as it's my baby's 50th birthday. 50, I'm not old enough to have a 50 yr old son. I'm only 51! Oh DD is 53!!!!! See have developed 24 hr a day Sundowners symptoms.Sundowners are patients we'd see in ER who could function during the day but got more and more confused towards evening. Who's president?....well Ike of course and his wife is Mamie!

I spent the past 4 days very quiet and rested my knee totally. It is 90% better and the appointment is Thurs. Need the xray and make a plan because to be honest it's like waiting for it all to start back up again soon. The pain the first 2 weeks on that scale of 1-10 was 12. I used left over big gun pain meds and they didn't help.

Do any of you know about old fashion pork goodies? It a pork butt you buy in a red plastic wrapper and make a boiled dinner out of. They used to cook them on wash day. Everything in the pot on the back of the stove to simmer all day. I bought one and will simmer it with a few potatoes, carrots, sm onions and cabbage. My kids loved it.Come on down for dinner.

BBl for persoonals....k3
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #324  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Maryea - Wow! That 450 would have scared me too, but it was shortly after you ate a sugary carb. Sugar takes your BS up quickly. The highest I had was 397 and that scared me half to death. I sometimes get blurry vision, but I don't know if it's my high sugar or if my excessive reading. My sugar has been much better, with eating the smaller meals and exercising. A smaller meal to me is probably a normal meal for others. I can really pack away the food if I'm not watching. I eat more than DH. I am not losing weight, so I know my meals are not too small, just small enough to keep my BS from getting too high. I have been getting reading in the 130's and 120's with a couple in the teens. That is much lower than I had been getting for a while, in the 160-190 range. I still have a way to go and I'm hoping I can do it without more meds.

PS I just called the DR again and got my results. My a1c was 7.2. That's not as good as the 5.7 and 6.6 I had the last two times, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be considering the bs readings I've been getting. I now know where I stand and will take the necessary steps to get back where I was. My triglycerides were also high but once I get back to my regular exercise for a while they should go back down where they were.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-28-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #325  

Height: 5'3"

I'm alone today as dh went fishing, probably his last time for about a week. He plans to get tires for the car this afternoon though and I have plenty to do myself. The kids come tomorrow and I probably won't do much housework while they are here. Looks like a pretty day out there. I've been waking up with my left leg achy badly so was awake when dh left but I took some Tyl and did get back to sleep and slept in a little.

Carol Sue, we have the same A1C numbers! My tryglicerides are still somewhat high but were getting better. Not sure now the way I've been adding pb to my mochas! Your current bs are better than mine although I have had a few really good ones. From all the testing I've been doing recently it appears I can only have 2 carbs every 3-4 hours (not sure which as seems to differ). Perhaps if I could keep it to 1 carb every 2-3 hours I could handle that...thats what I did with MF but seems to be very hard for me to do now. I still haven't figured out the am bs as it seems no matter what I do it remains high. Today it was 177. Yeah, that 450 was after I'd eaten a couple tablespoons of zucchini batter...that must be powerful stuff! Anyway, we can motivate each other to do better!

Darn, everytime I scroll down that popup keeps popping up!! I really hate that!

Karen3 - Are you talking about hearing aides? Glad you got them working right. My son just got one from the Veterans and dh has applied but so far we've heard nothing. We had planned to buy them but then heard he might be elgible.

Karen31 - Glad you had a nice weekend. Seems like you have dinner with family most Sundays, don't you? Must be fun to have family nearby.

Bobbi - My zucchini bread turned out ok. We each ate one slice and froze the rest. I don't think the kids will like it because it has nuts in it. I told dh I am not making it anymore as it is too tempting and I can't eat it and he eats very little so not worth it.

Need to get busy. I decided to just use cookie mixes instead of baking from scratch so that makes my life easier. Still need to change the sheets on spare beds and want to steam clean the kitchen floor and thoroughly clean bathrooms besides other things today.

Last edited by maryea; 08-28-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #326  

Height: 5'1"

Hi GG's,

Lots of things going on lately. My DGS got hit at the football game and got a concussion. He's ok, but he still gets dizzy if he stands too quickly. At least he's not allowed to play football, or do much of anything else, for the next 2 weeks untill he sees the neurologist. It would be nice if the neurologist said "no more football, ever". Maybe I could bribe him? I guess i've just seen too many closed head injuries.

Val, Pack that gun girl! Now I will worry about you untill I know you do. You just can't be too careful.

Bobbi, You must have had a LOT of stuff! You've been having garage sales and selling things on line for awhile. And of course I remember the treadle sewing machine. That's what I learned to sew on. My mom gave hers to my son.

Karen3, glad you got the hearing aid problem fixed.

Gayle, I am so glad to hear that the C-Pap is working for you. I hope you continue to feel better.

Jess, How high is your bejewled score.

Lynn, How are you? making it ok since going cold turkey on the ice cream? How is DD?

Cajun, Stay safe.

Hope everyone is doing well,

Freda
Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #327  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies
I think we are ready. Today the wind kicked up and a limb fell on power line I was out of power for 4 hours. It might be a few days before I check in. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers for my son.
Hugs cajun
Old 08-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #328  
Bobbi

My brother is due with his pick-up and trailer, going to make two hauls into town. Freda...yes, we have a lot of 'treasures'. Our 47th wedding anniversary is coming up in September and anyone married that long has stored up lots. I'm sure everyone has things they haven't used in awhile but MIGHT SOMEDAY? My someday is passing quickly and time to unload. We want to uncomplicate our lives, no more canning or freezing, no more yard work. Blah, I've had a lifetime of that and looking forward to my new stage of life. I will miss my flowers but I can still have them potted.
Donna
..We have a showing on Thursday to a couple interested. Tiff loves her new cupboards, we've been paying on them monthly from Home Depot. By February we'll have our share paid off, the balance she'll have to get. We got a 12 month no interest from Home Depot. DH is calling, gotta help him move the big table saw into the garage, it's been out in the shed. Heavy!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Bobbi - have you heard anything about the condo? Any movement on selling your property? It all sounds like just so much work!! Is Tiff happy with her kitchen? Do you have pictures of the finished product to share?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #329  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Two days down, two to go. Wish this stupid headache would go away. I've tried all the tricks I know ~ sometimes that helps, sometimes no matter what I do, it just hangs on ~ nothing else to do but wait for it to pass. I had headaches a lot in my younger years ~ horrible ones ~ I think it was hormone related (came along with the monthly cycle). Then I reached a stage where I didn't seem to hardly ever have them anymore ~ if I did, they were mild compared to what they used to be. They are not as horrible now as they used to be, but I am getting them more often. Grrrrr OK ~ sorry ~ enough whining.

Just a couple comments

Cajun ~ hope you are hanging in there ok.

Bobbi ~ be careful with that heavy stuff. Yes, we also have accumulated a lot of stuff ~ and still hanging onto some of that might use someday stuff. When/if I ever be able to get some time, I need to get rid of stuff too.

Mary ~ do you have Goodwills or some other thrift stores near you. I have found some nice picture frames at the Goodwill and paid hardly anything for them. I love Goodwill/thirft stores.

Donna ~ I think it is your day off today ~ enjoy. Will you get to take it easy, or do you have errands and stuff to do? How is GM, Samcat and Sabrino?

I'd like to just stay here, but gotta go get ready for work.

Hope you all have a good day.

Take care
Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #330  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies
Just dropped in for a quich update. Forecast has turned the storm right on top of us. It's slowed down to 6 mph and will sit on us thru Thursday night. Yuk. This is a storm that they can't predict. It's wobbling so much.
My oldest son is a nurse so he's working in all this. Praying he's ok. Youngest son is doing ok in Wyoming at the refinery. We are praying for him. So my Lil chickens are spread out and not under my wing. This is the first time they are not with us bunkered down riding out the storm. Check back later.

Hugs Cajun
Closed Thread