Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #196  

Height: 5'1"

Bobbi, Enjoyed the joke, but what I really enjoyed was hearing "by golly" and "by Yimmy". These are "swear" words that I heard my great uncle's say all the time. Minnesota? I thought they were maybe German. I've never looked into our family history that much.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Bobbi - Check with your library to see if they have e-book downloads. If they do, they will tell you how to set it up.

Rie and Maryea - Ok, I was wrong. I was getting 2 cartons of milk and thinking each was 4 oz, but they must have been 8 oz each. They were limiting my fluids. I could have coffee or tea with meals but no water. I didn't want the coffee or tea so I chose the milk from my allowable carb servings. Recovering from surgery, it had more nourishment than the coffee or tea would have.

Gayle - Hearing about your recurring headaches, I was thinking "chiropractor" before you even asked about it, especially since you mentioned your problems with your neck. Ask around in your area, see if anyone can recommend a good one. Some will make you keep coming back and some will give you several treatments until you start to feel better. Also, you could look into physical therapy. I don't get headaches, but I do have back and neck problems that have been treated by a chiropractor from time to time. I hope you can find some relief.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies
My youngest son left last night and drove all night. Dh and I were up at 3 am drinking coffee. We were worried sick. Don't think we cut the cord yet. He finally texted and said they stopped and got a room to get some sleep. I always thought I was an emotional eater. Well apparently when I get this worried I don't eat at all. Barely ate last night and can't swallow anything this morning. I know it's not good on my diet to do this as my body can go in starvation mode. Sounds silly to worry I guess.

Bobbi it was me that was talking about those apple pies.

Ginger sorry that you hurt your back. Yay for you not turning to food!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #199  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Quick hola, Goldens!

Bobbi - hope your arm is better... pace yourself, girlie!

Emaline - lovely to have someone from the UK... you're very welcome to join us! We all have weight problems, some more than others. You're in good company!

Cajun - you're going to make yourself sick, worrying about your son. It sounds like you and your DH have done a fine job of teaching him to be a responsible and competent man... and it sounds like he's chosen to become that man. He hasn't left you!

Nothing to report. Today's my day off, and I'm jealously guarding it. I don't want to see or talk to anyone!! I have books to read and projects to crochet!!... important things.... LOL

Have a good Wednesday, all.... later, lovelies!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #200  

Height: 5'3"

Went to the gym this morning...walked and bike but only did one weight machine because I began to not feel so well..it's still my bladder. Hopefully by the time the antibiotic is finished it will be ok. I notice that it takes longer each time to get well though. I overate last night and my weight was up 1.4# plus my bs was high again, but after working out and 2 hrs after breakfast it was good.

Slmn11 - Glad you found out about the milk! Those carbs are too precious to over count!

Bobbi - I get so many free books online I am fully satisfied. Occasionally I buy a really cheap one if I really want it but that's not often and I really don't need it as I have plenty to read. Recently I was reading one about going back in time to a previous life...even though I don't believe that way, it was interesting. BUT, when I got to the end it was obviously continued in the next book...so now I have to find the sequel. It is not the best written book but an interesting story.

Ginger - Glad you stayed OP!! My problem has been staying consistenly OP. I'm doing better but still not perfect...I got off yesterday.

Rie - Yes I agree family is so important. Glad you reconnected with some of your relatives.

Karen31 - Your smoothie sounds great but way too many carbs for me I think. I make similiar ones though with some of those ingredients.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #201  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Good afternoon GG's!
Well, I woke up in screaming pain at 4Am, poor DH was so upset for me and trying to help me he ended up with tummy ache. 2 pain pills and ice pack not working- so I gave up and sat up (laying down just hurt so much, as did fighting for space with Penny-How much space can one mini dachsund curled up take?- too much when she wants to be on me-or steal my pillow given a chance ) By 4:30 gave up-and took more pain pills -d*m the consequences at that point and before my show was over I fell asleep. I wonder who was sent home on Design star? So -feeling better now-lots of napping all day- no exercise for me today,thanks.

Emaline: speaking of exercise. I do mine from a chair-or bed even. One is the stretching part of Stronger Seniors with Anne Pringle Burnell stretch and strength DVD. I got mine from Amazon. Even easier is Dr, Chens Tai Chi Gongfa 001 workout for wheelchair people level 1. On Anne's she warns when a part might hurt back or hips or knees and you sit that part out. It's amazing how just doing your arms can make you feel better burn calories.

Cajun: It's not silly for Mom's to worry-very hard not to. Imagine dropping your 19 yo DD alone at 1st apt near the Freakin French Quarter to live and go to work on Bourbon st to pay for University down there !!! I did learn long ago when 17yo DS had bad car wreck that the police will come tell you-so might as well sleep and pray they don't show up. You really can't take action unless they do.

Donna: My kinda day-Reading!

Maryea: Last night is over-Thank God we made it through Today is a new day to learn new lessons. Like you I have all the free books I will ever need, but will pay for new Nora Roberts. ( my DD also has Nook set up so we can both have same books for one pay) I also buy weightloss & spiritual books , I get one each Sat. that I have made ot through the week OP. OR a rented DVD.

Bobbi: Glad to here your arm is better. 3Am reading? been there done that. LOL! Thanks for the joke BTW.

Puneri: If your crazy then so am I. Talk to my deceased parents all the time. Much easier than when they were alive
Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi -

Well, I won’t be doing the elliptical for a while. My right shoulder has been hurting a lot. I have a matching bone spur to the one I had removed from my left shoulder in 2011. I knew this and had a cortisone shot which started wearing off in June. I decided I didn’t want to go the rest of my life not using my right arm so I’m going to have the surgery on Aug. 31. If it turns out as well as the other shoulder I’ll be very happy. I should have done it a month ago since we are stuck in town for my husbands treatments. A wise friend of mine told me to…but I kept hoping it would magically get better. I’ll stick with the bike until I recover from my surgery.

Ginger - so sorry about the reaming you got from you DGS’s mother (not your daughter I think) So awful - my heart goes out to you. Perhaps you have to endure that because of your GS. Maybe she could find a calmer way to communicate to you. She needs to start doing your heart meditations. And your hurt back and painful night! I hope you don’t have to go through that again. Here is a BIG HUG (((((HUG)))) from me.

Cajun - I wouldn’t be able to sleep if one of my kids was driving all night either. Good that your DS stopped when they needed to sleep. What can we do about these dear/darn kids? When my son flies home to D.C. then drives to his apartment from the airport late at night, I want a text that he got home safely. I don’t worry about my other son driving to his apartment locally - so what’s up with that? The late night part and the distance part add to the general worry. Sorry you had to miss a night’s sleep. Good job on not eating.

Emaline - welcome! It’s annoying when the weight loss stops. Have you checked out the WW sites here on 3 fat chicks? They can probably help you with your plateau. Or check out some of the other diets. I find that maintaining is a slippery slope for me, I eat for every reason imaginable - happy, sad, etc. This group is great.

Puneri - I don’t think talking to the dearly departed is a sign of craziness….I think if they start answering it might be - LOL! You can always talk to us too.

Rie - So great about your DS getting the aid for college! Best of luck to him. You are right about the importance of family. I wish I saw more of mine.

Mary - it wasn’t me that said anything about the carbs in skim milk. I don’t drink milk any more. I don’t drink any beverage that has calories or carbs. It would feel like a sinful luxury. Nice that you get to see your grand son. Have fun with him.

Gayle - You can’t take any other anti-inflammatory when you are taking Celcbrex. Celebrex is my favorite anti-inflammatory but my ortho doc doles it out like it’s heroin or something. But every time he does give it to me he reminds me, “don’t take any other NSAID while you are on it.” I hope you feel better soon.

Freda - thanks, I do feel better! I feel good about scheduling the surgery - tired of all that nagging pain. And I had my annual gyne visit and he is increasing my estrogen. Someone on this site suggested that I might need more since I lost weight and I kept saying I was going to ask the doc but ended up waiting until this annual exam. I’m not a nurse - retired social worker and teacher. But I have always read/researched diet, health and illnesses that affect me or my family. And unfortunately that is including more things since we are all aging. And social work deals with a lot of health and wellness issues. Most of the CEUs I take to maintain my license are good for R.N.s as well. Are you on Metformin? Hope you are well!
I better end this novel. Hugs to all!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #203  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Okay - I’m still not done. I’m enjoying reading the posts. DH wants dinner but I said I’m enjoying my chicks.

Cajun - I had to smile when I read about your DH, raising his eyebrows and cutting the grass. And I love the sign you made about shopping and the game warden!

Ginger - The movie was funny. The preview they are showing is a perfect synopsis. I also heard some sniffling and nose blowing. I think most of us that have been married a few years can relate at some level.

Bobbie - What did you do?!! Wrenching your arm painting a ceiling? I haven’t been able paint for several years. Maybe after my shoulder is fixed? Nah, I have that small protruding disc. I’m right there with you!#&%*^! I hate it that my parts are wearing out!!! My freezer is full of assorted ice packs - really long ones for should, neck and back. I found them helpful. Feel better.

Marie - you are right about the exercise helping me feel better. And Tommy Lee Jones was terrific.

Donna - sorry about your friend’s husband with prostate cancer. Are they a young couple? It is more common in men as they age. The treatments and prognosis are very good. My DH chose Proton Beam Radiation therapy. It is supposed to have fewer side effects.

Karen fls - hope your knee is getting better.

Hugs to all!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #204  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Dee - they're our age... he's 62 or 63, and she's 58... the treatment he'll be having is low dose radiation every day for 9 weeks. Is that the Proton Beam radiation therapy? I know they aren't doing the radiation seeds. The docs have said it's very treatable and that she shouldn't worry about losing her new husband to this... good news.

Had a lovely day, but I'm just so darn tired anymore! I can hardly drag myself through to the end of the day. So, on that whiny note, I'm going to go sit and watch some tv!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #205  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Thank you Dee. Yest I was 165.8 and today 166. Worked out for 1 hour, having proteins, veges, fruit and yogurt.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #206  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning goldies,

I was so tired after not sleeping night before last worrying about ds traveling all night. Last night I went to bed at 10:30 and the phone rang at 11. I was so relieved because he was going to call us when they made it there no matter the time. Well he was not there. He still had over 100 miles to go. He was so excited he saw some mule deer on the side of the road. He talked to me for 15 minutes and then his dad for 15 minutes. Couldn't sleep after that. I was just falling asleep and he called at 1:15 they had finally made it only to find out the company had made reservations for the 16 which is today but the hotel had no vacancies until this morning. Every where they went there was no vacancies. They found I hotel that had 1 room and it was a dump he said. They had to share a room for 1 night and it was 160$ a night. He said the door wouldn't even close. They were so tired. So it would do until they got to their nice hotel today. Then I couldn't sleep for worrying about that door. I finally fell asleep this morning. So work today is rough on a couple hours sleep. So that's what's going on in my world. I'm still having trouble with my ankle. Haven't started back exercising yet. My ankle is cracking when I walk. Mostly in the morning. I will give it until Monday.

Will be back later with personal.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Cajun,
Sorry to hear that...worry..worry and more worry. Try some deep breathing technique. Concentrate on breathing. Sleep is vey important dear. I am also guilthy of this. Not able to shut the mind.
I feel we should try to know what people do to shut the mind.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #208  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all my fave chickies! Just quick post since work and life are busy. The school year staff are starting to return and for some reason they think us year rounders have nothing to do but cater to their every whim. I despise when the happy, relaxed teachers come back and ask how my summer was and what I did. Growl. I say my summer was filled with submitting state reports. It was a blast. Anyway, life is good and for the moment quiet because I'm working from home. I had a state required Webex training and working in my office is not possible. Don't answer the phone? Come over and stand in my door way. Close the door? They open it. Lock the door and they bang on it. So I chose the training from my house with my quiet, non-interrupting doggies.

BTW, keep your fingers crossed the Blizzie gets to keep her cast off when they take it off to re-Xray it. She hates it and is miserable. And therefore, Rie, I can't jump off the diving board because the guilt would sink me. Blizzie howls and cries that she can't bounce along side her favorite place on earth - the pool. Pool time has been very restricted this year.

Ginger, I almost fell over laughing at your comment about how much easier it is to talk to your parents now that they've passed than when they were alive. I'm guessing my father will be that way when he passes. He drives me insane - regardless that he has leukemia. I love him but from a distance. Moving 2000 miles away helped.

Donna, glad you had a great day off!

Back to the grindstone...
Marie
Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #209  

Height: 5'3"

Hello! It's a hot day but nice in the AC. Our oldest dd and her son (12) arrived about 1:30 am. We thought they weren't coming until Sat so a surprise but it was only overnight and then they will be back Sat. Glad I got my house all clean and the beds changed etc. yesterday. My bs was a little high but better today even though I know I went way over last night. Today though I am OP. No time for personals right now...maybe later after they leave.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #210  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Well, last night was some better on back- couldn't sleep with the pain til after 4 Am. Yet, I woke up refreshed at 8AM.Good enough I took the first bath (Long and very hot for my back) and was able not only get in the tub but out again I haven't had a bath in over a year-knew I'd not be able to get out. I wanted to be able to exercise today and what with getting more arm strenth with exercising and weighing 25 pds less I had a feeling I might be able to get out this time. The hot bath relieved so much back-knee tension I took Penny out into the garden to play for 1st time in over a year. Sure I've taken her onto front porch plenty-but out on a garden path, to sit , meditate and dream of being able to plant daffodils come mid Oct, the end of my 100 day challenge. She was so excited and now I'm a happy girl. WE just did beat the rain shower. After lunch I was able to do my DVD exercise-I just left out or only partially stretched that mid-side back area. Now it's time ( a good healthy lunch in us) to snuggle and read.

Deelee: It was my daughter I was talking about. Believe me 30 min. is nothing to the 6 hr-screaming, crying marathons we had in her teens. Mostly me trying to calm her down and defend self at same time. Her therapist told me I'm the one she goes off on the most because I'm the only one she trust will love her unconditionally throughit. This was 1st argument in over a year. At least this time we finally made a truce that neither of us is ever going to see Eye to eye about her brother. She has 2 baby boys of own- someday she'll understand why I'll always stepping up for her brother. She went through h%&l in her young life but nothing compared to her older (9rs) brother and now she is happy with her young family where he will always suffer with bi-polor and aspergers-let alone in and out of AA,can't find a job, having to live at home and never at 36 having had a girlfriend let alone believe it's possible for anyone to love him but me. So Yeah- I defend him and let his "misteps" go for the most part and she wants me to be able to control what he says to her or her children. As if I could control what anyone says! WHew! Guess I needed to get that off. I'll keep praying on it but thanks for the support. I do appreciate it. I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder-had no idea you could get spurs there. OUCH! Hope surgery goes well for you.

Cajun: Glad your son finally made it at last. $160? For a dump?!! Buy am I spoiled-you can get a decent, clean room for $40 dollars in these parts. Even in safe neighborhoods.

Off on this now rainy afternoon to curl up with Penny and my Nook.
Closed Thread