Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/205.4/125

Height: 5'1.5"

Default Fat @ 59: R U Often P Off N Wish U Could Vent?

It is an absolutely gorgeous day. The first time in weeks I can open the windows! My neighbor is having construction done and the "crew" is blasting the radio. (How can they hope to hear over the noise from their power tools?!) I am imagining marching over there and wringing their necks.

Instead I follow breakfast with dessert...slurped up 2 ozs of Greek yogurt, threw some blueberries down my gullet, and finally, chewed up half a soy joy bar I found rolling around the bottom of my purse. Overeating! Indigestion! That'll fix 'em! Not.

Are you angrier the older and fatter you get too? (I am so sick of being marginalized, looked through as if invisible and ignored.)

I will...put on my headphones and go work in the garden. Got to shake this off. I know life is short and there are wa-a-a-ay too many "small" things that upset me.

Last edited by gittel; 07-25-2012 at 04:30 PM.
gittel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #2  
Empress/Queen

Lol, yea, I am (often Pd off and wishin' to vent).

Hang in. Your stats are showing a nice loss. Congratulations. Woot!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

My biggest pet peeve is strangers refering to me as Miss Terry. No one I know and love would say that to me. Ugh. Especially when sales clerk see my name on my credit card and do that. Really? I guess they don't realize they are seriously spoiling my day. I guess I just have to get used to it.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/232/190

Height: 5'10'

Yes, I feel I am easily annoyed..sales clerks..servers...husbands...kids...coworkers....y ou name it!!
tallgirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

Terapet, Sorry, I guess I'm just dense. what exactally do you want people to call you? I suppose it's just a southern thing, but that would be a sign of respect.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Ha, two of my biggest annoyances!

The first is the noisy construction workers. We are in a new subdivision with many young families and also retirees.
There is a new house going up and it seems the subtrades hired don't get along. Lots of hollering at each other with foul language.

I can't understand how they don't realize they are in a residential area.

Hubby has been in the housing biz for years. He is off doing a reno during the day, he says the ignorance is because the main contractor is not on site.

I just keep hoping the job is done quickly.

The other thing is being addressed by name. What drives me nuts is the Safeway policy. I no longer shop there because of it so they may have smartened up.

I have a very difficult last name, eastern European full of consonants together that never go together in English.

So Safeway came up with a policy that the cashier needs to call you by Ms or Mr and last name. So this involves a procedure of total shock when the cashier reads it then asks for a tutorial on how to say it. Then total shock when I say it and askes for repetitions over and over.

The cashier does not need to know how to say my name, people I've worked with for years can't get it. The people in the line behind me don't need to be held up while the cashier goes through this procedure over and over.

So I sent registered letters to higher ups protesting this foolishness. I get a form letter back saying they are sorry am I having difficulty with staff (which I'm not) but this is company policy.

So my daughter and I both stopped shopping there because of the policy.
There are self checkouts now which would eliminate the problem but I got so annoyed I haven't gone back.

I wouldn't mind being call Miss Pat at all as long as it doesn't take extra time in the checkout line.

In the area where I grew up on the east coast of Canada, everyone is addressed as "dear". I had a co-worker who got really annoyed with that which really surprised me.

I think the Miss in the south would be the same thing, just a very ingrained part of the culture and a sign of respect.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #7  

slim me- I would prefer my just my first name or Mrs Last Name. I figure a sales clerk does not need to refer to my name.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #8  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

I think I am more easily irritated as I get older ~ fatter doesn’t seem to have anything to do with it ~ I think for me it is age. I feel bad to feel like that ~ I feel like Maxine that crabby old lady of the cartoon.

I probably shouldn’t comment (doing so will probably feed my irritation) but guess I will anyway. Maybe I am just procrastinating from doing the other stuff I need to do ~ LOL.

Gittel ~ “Overeating! Indigestion! That'll fix 'em! Not.”

Terapet ~ noticed your location and my thought was the same as Slim me’s ~ I think referring to people as “miss“______ is a southern thing. Also, it was drummed into our heads in nursing school to refer to our fellow students and the nurses at the hospital where we did our training as “miss”______ what ever.

Tallgirl ~ yes all of those, my irritation is knows no bounds it seems.

Patns ~ I am thinking that it isn’t that they don’t realize they are in a residential area ~ I am thinking they just plain don’t care. At the safeway ~ that policy of addressing the customers seems a little too much. At work (nurse) we are to ask the patient how they prefer we address them. But there, unlike at a grocery store ~ we are having to address them numerous times. When I get a patient with one of those difficult last names (maybe it is wrong to do) I call them mr/ms and their first name ~ rather than repeatedly mangle their last name.

We were taught all through nursing school to never refer to the patients as sweetie or dear. From time to time, I have been addressed as “dear” and it is a weird feeling ~ like they must think I am ancient ~ I don’t feel that old. So that is kind of annoying.

glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #9  

Funny thing is, I was not referred to Miss until I hit near 50 yrs old. Respect for what, my doddering old age. Ouch, "thanks" for the reminder. It is not like these people are children, they are grown ups just like me. Why am I singled out for respect? Did they disrespect me before I was wrinkled and obviously near 50?

Last edited by TERAPET; 08-17-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #10  
Want to feel better

Terapet ~ that is a stumpper then ~ why people didn't used to use miss and now they are. Sorry for the bad feelings it brings to you.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #11  

I think I know why and it does make me feel bad but I recover pretty quickly. Thanks for validating my feelings
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #12  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

friday.. dh comes home from work and says," the house smells like garbage."
I hear...
"I hate coming home to you and this stinking mess of a house. You are a fat lazy slob who can't do anything up to my standards. If I had known you would turn into this overwieght rock tied to my neck I would not have married you ."
what my husband meant was,
" the house smells like garbage"
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #13  
Empress/Queen

What bothers me is being addressed as Mrs. since I am single.

But I also don't like to be called Miss with either my first or my last name.

Using Ms. seems passe so I don't like it when anyone addresses me as Ms.

I don't like to be referred to as "Ma'am" either.

Or similar terms in any other language.

Basically, if people know me they should use my first name and if they don't, there is no need to add a title or name to any necessary or voluntary communication.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 09-11-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #14  
Want to feel better

Am2 ~ help me to know then ~ how would someone politely go about getting the attention of a person when they do not know their first name and the person does not want to be addressed by Mrs, Miss, Ma'am or Ms?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I do not like when sales clerks get your name from your credit card and then address you as such. A simple "thank you" will do. That is what my mother used to refer to as "undue familiarity." It makes me want to look at their name tag and use their name, but their last names are never on the name tag. Next time I think I might say "Oh, I'm not Mrs Smith, I just found this credit card!" LOL I will be sure to wait until the sale is completed and my purchase is in my hand!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote