Anybody still fighting the good fight at age 70?

You're on Page 3 of 34
Go to
  • Have fun at the celebration!
  • Well, we did have a lot of fun at our congregation's 50th Anniversary Party. I probably ate a bit too much, though.

Now it will be back to the usual day to day activities. The weather continues to be very hot here, so I'm sure I will tend to stay indoors with the air conditioner. The garden this year is a disaster. Oh, well!

We should just keep doing the best we can!
  • Somehow, I missed your last post. I'll bet you and your husband were celebrities at the party. There can't be very many people who have been members that long. Somehow, church functions seem to have really excellent food!

Today, I made 1 mile in my driveway, and I lost a pound. I think you could say that I am having a good day!

I have been eating pretty close to 1300 calories a day. I wish I could cut back enough to loose a little faster, but somehow I don't have the energy to be starving all the time.
  • Hi, Gail - A mile in your driveway is quite an accomplishment. Good for you. And losing a lb. is an achievement, too. It's harder to lose those lbs. as we get older, I guess the lbs. get too attached to our bodies. LOL

Yesterday evening my DH and I participated in the local Relay for Life, as I am a surviver of breast cancer. We even completed the Victory Lap, which is 1/4 mile long. My DH is 92 years old, and still pretty frisky.

Have a great weekend!
  • I'm impressed!

Your DH is way friskier than we are if he could put that scale together by himself.
  • LOL Well, he spent a bit of time figuring out what the wrench was that they said was included, but the wrench didn't look like a wrench to him.

Actually he is very handy and good doing things with is hands.

I do like my scale. Do you like yours? It's a lot easier for me to figure out what my weight really is.
  • Keep smiling -
  • I knew it was a wrench because I obsessively read all the reviews on Amazon and the mystery item [the wrench] was mentioned. I am the one in our family who reads directions and somehow I just couldn't get the idea of what they were talking about having the base of the scale hang over the edge of the table.

I like my scale. It is easy to read and what can go wrong with it? Nothing that I know of. It does seem odd to me that my weight never varied for a week - it was the same in the morning as at night, every day. I always thought I was lighter in the morning.
  • I just looked at the picture of the scale, and at the price of the thing, and figured that was for me! I suppose I should have checked the reviews, but I sure didn't, so I didn't know what the wrench was. It made for a challenge for my DH.

My weight varies from morning to evening, and I weigh myself twice a day. Weighing daily helps keep me on track. If I see the weight creeping up, I figure I should do something about it ASAP! I know if I let myself eat what I want to eat I would gain all those lost lbs. back in a very short period of time. We humans do like to eat, don't we?

Do you play any musical instruments? I play the flute. Recently my DH has been doing work on our front lawn where we had the new sewer pipe put in and so I sit on the front deck and serenade him, and the neighbors, as he works. Mostly I am playing the old songs of my childhood, which probably sound strange to the neighborhood ears. But they are a charitable group, and no one has complained yet.

Let's keep pusing ourselves to make life interesting. Life is fun, let's enjoy it!
  • That is wonderful that you play the flute! My father's family was quite musical, but unfortunately I didn't inherit the talent. My DH is musically talented, too. He plays the organ by ear. He is one of those people who just doesn't want to learn to read music. I was curious, so I got some info from the library about reading music, and I get what they are talking about - it is like a set of instructions for what to do. It seems to me that if you can read music, you can play anything.

My talent is words. I am a living dictionary. Not very useful, but sometimes fun. When I was a child everyone knew I was a whiz with words, but somehow I was never directed into any pursuits using my talent. I took quite a bit of Latin in High School, and Spanish in college. I took Spanish because in those days, you had to take a foreign language in college. I taught myself basic Italian which operates on the same principles as Latin and Spanish. The Italian was motivated by a trip to Italy to visit my son and his family while they lived in Italy for a couple of years for his job.

Anyway, I was surprised to find that I lost another pound overnight! Just one more and I will have lost 20 pounds. I have one five pound weight from someone's dumb bell set. I was really surprised at how heavy that feels, multiplied by four, it's no wonder my feet feel better.

I didn't walk today because one of my hips is really sore. I didn't injure it that I know of, and I have never had anything like it before. I hope I just over did something. I have had such a hard time motivating myself to exercise, and now I am disappointed when I can't do it.
  • He Gail - Congratulations on losing the lb. Way to go! Keep up the great work.

So you like words. That's interesting. I've always enjoyed languages, too. I took Latin and Spanish in HS and college, but never really used either of those skills. Both my DH and I picked up a few words in German so that we could buy stuff when we were in Germany, but we can't really converse in German. A lot of the German people have a working knowledge of English so we were OK. It's been many years since we did any foreign traveling though, but we really enjoyed it. Yes, we traveled through Italy, but we don't know any Italian.

Today is going to be another hot day, so I'm trying to get stuff done early in the morning before things heat up.

Let's make today a positive day! Life is good, let's enjoy it!
  • My DH bought chocolate covered blueberries with acai. They pretend the candy is healthy because it has the acai [anti-oxidant]. one quarter cup has 180 calories. Yikes! I had just enough to cover the bottom of a little dish that measures one quarter cup, so I didn't get the full whammy of caloies, but I am going to have to have him eat them or hide them from me. They sure are good.

Between the candy and everything else, I ate a bit too much yesterday, but still under 1500 calories.

I've been eating away on all the peaches we got. They are very small, but tasty. Seems like a caloric bargain to me - I can eat quite a few before they start to add up to much.

It is plenty hot here, too. One day last week I had to get up before the sun came up in order to go out and walk.
  • I walked a mile this morning and dropped another miracle pound overnight. I don't know why the sudden losses, but I am happy! I have now lost a total of 20 pounds. Another 3 lbs and I will be in the 170s. I guess that is the next mini goal.
  • Hi, Gail - Congratulations on your continued dropping of those lbs. Yes, sometimes it happens like that - you'll go a long time without losing any weight and then lose several lbs. in a short period of time. Evidently you are doing something right, so keep right on doing it.

I just got back from my walkabout in the neighborhood. I like to get it done while it is still reasonably cool outdoors. I think I probably walked about 1/4 mile on my little jaunt. I would like to build up some endurance on this walking, but my knees are getting a bit 'wonky' so I'm just doing the best I can.

I think that is what we all have to do, though - just keep on doing the best we can. And let's smile at the world today. Hopefully the world will smile back at us.

• It is about 4 AM on Thursday. Our power just came back on. It has been off since Tuesday evening. A freak storm came through here with heavy wind and rain. It snapped off a couple of power poles which put lights etc out for miles around. They think it was a tornado. Yikes! It has been a very hot, miserable couple of days for us.

I haven't exactly been perfect with my eating. I "had" to eat a little ice cream because it was melting in the freezer. I also had to eat half a dozen Triscuits to "soothe" myself. Otherwise I was OK. I'm not going to try to resurrect everything I ate in FitDay. I will just start new today.

I have certainly retained some water - last night, I noticed I didn't have any little lines around my ankles when I flexed my feet. I think that may be due to the humidity. There is standing water everywhere.