Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #31  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I just read the last comment while eating my breakfast and we would miss living out here. But........we have 1 1/4 acre of yard to mow which is getting harder and harder for DH. We have a riding mower but also have to do the hand mower to get around all the trees, flowers, etc. Throw in snow removal,
the many trips we make to town for food, grandsons games, you get the picture. I'd love to belong to another card club, be able to go back to the fitness club, see my friends more often. If anything happened to dh, I'd go nuts out here by myself. If it was up to him, we'd stay. I'm just looking forward to a simplier life, not so busy.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #32  
Bobbi

Outside of car all finished except for the trunk that goes on the back of car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1245 (640x480).jpg (42.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1247 (640x480).jpg (33.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1248 (640x480).jpg (24.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #33  
ALASKA

S/C/G: 254/239/195

Height: 5'10

Good morning GG.
welcome to all you new gals. we are a fun group.

Marie we have been looking at both northern california and oregon to move to this summer or fall. My family is in Kansas City and Joplin but i have no desire to move back to the midwest.Too Hot for me!

Hope everyone has a great week. Sunshine here in alaska this morning but cold 27 right now brrrrr! I am so sick of the cold.

Everyone getting ready for Easter? not sure what our menu will be~traditional or not. I usually go to the sunrise service up top of Mt.
Alyeska its a beautiful setting you get the feeling your closer to God !

Take care everyone~ Brenda
Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #34  
Bobbi

Gutted insides, I do have my work cut out. We decided to haul everything out of the rented storage garage and bring it all home. I said it would be so much easier working on it here, no more rented storage fees plus we can work on it anytime. He has to leave his jeep outside because we only have a two car garage. He said I could leave my car out, NOPE! I won.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1249 (640x480).jpg (33.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1250 (480x640).jpg (37.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1251 (640x480).jpg (34.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1252 (640x480).jpg (34.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1253 (640x480).jpg (32.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #35  

Height: 5'3"

Hi GGs! I woke up early today so got myself back to my stretch class. I haven't been there in a long time! I love stretching, never get enough of it, and I was pretty stiff this morning, could really tell the difference. So hoping I can keep going to this class. I followed that with my usual machine workout. Last night at our 50+ class at our church they was a PT speaking and I thought about how much I love to work out anymore. I could hardly wait to get to the gym this morning!

Speaking of hair, I'm letting my hair grow out. Not sure how long I can stand it but want to see it long at least once more in my life. I like a kind of tousled look and gray hair does not always look good that way, but I've been surprised that I so far I like it most days. It depends...it looks best when I wash it and let it air dry thoroughly before going out . I don't like messing with my hair...hate using a dryer (never looks good that way anyway) and curling iron! No patience for it which is why I usually keep it short. Now I just air dry it, and while it's drying I scrunch it up to perk up my natural wave that comes to life when it is longer. I use a product to give it some shine and lift it a bit on top with some hairspray. In my profile picture here it was just starting to grow out and it was windblown. Funny thing is it's not that much LONGER now but it WIDER! That's how my hair grows...very full around the sides and back, but the top is thinner and flatter/straighter unfortunately. I wake up in the morning looking really wild and crazy and unless I wash it it is not so easy to tame! With age has come drier scalp so I try not to shampoo every day anymore so I go by how it looks. As I mentioned before I think I can now see my scalp more on top or maybe it's just because my hair is so white now that my pink scalp shows up more, I don't know. Anyway, it's just an experiment and I figure I can always cut it short again if I can't stand it. I think perhaps I should get it shaped up a bit so may go to beauty shop tomorrow.

Freda/Marie - You were talking about fine hair. Mine was fine and frizzed easily when permed until I allowed it to go gray (kept it colored for years). Then it became much more coarse...more like animal hair. But I notice now that it's longer than it seems finer again. Guess I just never stop changing... And no, I'm never completely happy with my hair. One side always looks better than the other or the back won't cooperate but since I'm no good at fixing it, I just let it do it's own thing.

Bobbi - I think you work very hard! Sounds like you don't need a gym, you get a workout as it is!

Ladysheets - No I don't have my Easter menu planned yet. In fact I'm trying to decide whether to eat here at home or go out to eat. Your service sounds wonderful. We just go to our regular service, I don't like to get up early but a sunrise service is very special.

Freda - Forgot where you are, but am amazed you are growing things already. We haven't even planted anything...I don't think..dh is the gardener. It's possible he has planted onions..guess I should ask.

Webwoman - Love the sliders! You are right, good portion control and also great for young children. My dd buys them for her kids.

Mom - Glad to have you back! I understand your eating problems...I've done it so many times. Right now I'm way higher than my sig. At least I seem to be maintaining, but hoping to do better on my diet and actually lose again. Up and down I go. Glad Noah's doing ok. Such a cutie!

Rosey - I greatly admire your will power and wish you could give me some!

Marie - Yeah, I go by that when walking or doing any kind of aerobics. It takes a lot to keep me from talking, LOL...not sure my heart OR legs could keep going THAT long!

Le Nurse - I missed your post last time...think we were posting at about the same time or something. WELCOME!! I take it you are a nurse? We have others nurses on this forum and I am a retired nurse. That's great that you have found your great love at this time in life! I've been married for almost 50 years to a wonderful man so know what a joy it is. So glad you have joined us, and look forward to your posts.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #36  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Bobbi, a young man in town has lost over 100 pounds and has quite a bit of loose skin especially around the stomach area. He suffers from infections in the skin folds and needs skin removal surgery but does not have insurance that covers that procedure and our provincial insurance will not cover it either. So some of the ladies in his church decided to have a benefit gospel concert and invited choirs/singers from all the churches in town to participate. I still don't know how much was raised at the bake sale. There's going to be another fund raiser the end of the month with a silent auction. Glad Charlie is OK. Lumps can be scary. The inside of that old car looks like an old gutted house. It's so strange to see wood inside a car. You surely do have your work cut out for you. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Hi and welcome Leisa. Most brides go on a diet before the wedding but you're doing it after, LOL. I guess there was no time for diets in your world-wind romance. So glad you are happy. You'll be slim and trim for your first anniversary.

Mary, I'm growing my hair out as well. I figure that I'll get it just where I like it and then I'll get tired of it long and have it all cut off. That seems to be the pattern with me. I'm wearing it in a bun today to keep everything out of my eyes. I hate those little wispy hairs that grow around the hairline along the forehead. They're always in my eyes and it drives me crazy. I'm always spraying that area with hair spray trying to keep them glued down.

Marie, you probably read what I wrote to Bobbi. It wasn't my church that held the concert but all churches participated. And it was awesome as you said. And I'm trying to stay sweet naturally this week. All the sweets are in the freezer.

Hi Donna. Keeping busy?

Rosey, how long do dogs go through a chewing stage? My BIL had one that ate (chewed) their back deck, their basement floor and all the furniture down there. They had to keep it in the kennel ever so long when they were out of the house. You sound so excited about seeing your daughter. I hope she gets to you on schedule.

Darcy, most of us had downfalls at Thanksgiving and Christmas so you're in the same boat with us. It's when you fall out of the boat things get bad. So glad you're still with us. I could have reached right through the screen and given little Noah a cuddle. How precious!

Andi, you're really doing well with this weight loss business. I hope you lose that other pound by Easter. And stop looking in the mirror when naked! At our age we all look better with clothes on.

Freda, I hope you didn't have to wait too much longer for your furniture to arrive.

Brenda, you sound like your weather is something like mine--sunny but chilly. Snow is melting though and I had the front door window open all morning. Easter will be very low key for us this year unless one of our sons decides to come home for the weekend. I'm just planning on pizza and a couple of sides but no Easter eggs or chocolate. That's not a very traditional Easter meal but with just DH and I, I decided to do something easy but homemade. I have the crust made and in the freezer. And DH doesn't care what I serve him as long as he doesn't have to make it. We'll have eggs for breakfast so that'll be a little more Eastery.

Some of you were talking about Vitamin D. I take a Vit D every morning and it is recommended everyone in Canada take Vit D supplements as the sun's rays are not direct enough to supply most of us with sufficient amounts of the vitamin.

DH stole my purse today. I was in the grocery store paying for a few groceries when my purse was missing. I was going to put my wallet back in and the purse was gone. I was starting to get a bit anxious and confused as I'd just taken the wallet out only a minute before. Then I spied DH over by the door with my purse, my extra grocery bags and the cart with a big grin on his face. He was walking home from work and saw my car in the parking lot and came in the store to get a ride home. He'd crept up behind me and pinched the goods right under my nose. Then he proceeded to tell me anyone could have taken my purse. I told him only a thief would do that and that he didn't get my wallet. I could have punched him and should have let him walk home. Just wait til I get him back!

Anyhoo, here's my eats and exercise for the day.
Quote:
Breakfast: Oatmeal with flax, bran, wheat germ and mixed raisins, skim milk, apple sauce, Greek yogurt, fresh pineapple

Dinner: Mazidra (lentils, rice and salad vegetables), sour cream

Supper: Honey nut Cheerios, skim milk, half banana, fresh pineapple, 3 French fries off DH's plate

Exercise: 12.00 km on bike
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #37  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Quick hola, Lovelies...
I'm slaving away.... and it's BRRRR outside! I had to dig out my winter coat... 84 yesterday; 40 today. The WeatherFools said "snow", but I know that means that it's snowing SOMEWHERE. I hope it's falling on the fires.

I read back a little and feel like I'm brand new to the group. It would take forever to go back, make notes, and do proper personals. No time today! However, Bobbi, I love car! It looks like a lot of work, and boys do seem to love to tinker with the old cars, don't they?

Isabella - I know you're naturally sweet and that you sang like a, what? is a wren a good singing bird?

Marie - feeling good?

Rie - resting up for the big adventure to N. Dakota?????

Rosey - I can imagine how anxious and excited you are about LauraLou's arrival. How big is your house? Will you be able to accommodate everyone (especially Lucky Lady!) with ease?

SS/Zoe
- one MORE month... I think I'm more eager than you are for your retirement!

Ooops, gotta run. Everyone, have a good rest of the day. More tomorrow, probably!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Chicks - In the third week of remodeling. I was getting testy but am now going crazy….

Bobbi - I can so relate to you. Our first house was on 2+ acres with an in ground pool. All of it was old and in need of fixing. And fixing we did. My husband is very mechanically inclined and loves fixing. I got a certain amount of satisfaction until we had kids. Then I didn’t have any spare time. People don’t realize how much time goes into it. We had a small tractor but it still took 3 hours to cut the grass. Not to mention plowing the snow. I could go on and on. Lived there for 14 years. Have lived in our current house for 13 years. And we had a fixer upper cottage on a lake 4 hours away for 7 year. With old boats that needed work. It’s all been great for the kids but now that they’re gone I fantasize about living in a condo. Actually, 2 would be nice - one for the winter and one for the summer!
Love the car!

Andi - I was just thinking about that naked in the mirror thing! Last summer I weighed about 8 - 10 lbs less than I do now, and in a very dark, shadowy room, at just the right angle, it wasn’t too awful - for my age at 57. Now, of course, it is awful. Those ten lbs make a difference to my eyes. And I will say, it takes longer at 50+ for the skin to shrink - not like in our twenties and thirties - that‘s if it‘s going to shrink back.. And there are some things that aren’t ever going to be back where they were without surgery. I bet at your height and weight you look better than you think. And if you dim the lights, I bet you look terrific.

Darcy - Hi - nice to meet you. Little Noah is adorable! Three pounds isn’t bad. It can be awfully hard to get back on track though. I had a heck of a time. I had to think back to when I first lost the weight. I realized that I had no social life (recovering from shoulder surgery.) And it was after the holidays. Why does everything have to revolve around food?

Maryea - I am so with you on the night time eating thing. It is very complicated but I’m blaming the childhood bed time snacks! Just kidding, sort of. I consider myself a carb addict. HBO did a great special about addictions a few years ago. It’s not just the seratonin - it’s the dopamine. (Sugar causes release of dopamine - so do a lot of drugs.) I realized that I can pass up the sugar/starchy carbs during the day (not that I wouldn’t enjoy them) but I still really want them at night. I’ve been forgoing them for 7 days now. I’m back on Ideal Protein. I think MF is MediFast? I suspect it might be similar. With IP it’s good to get back on plan (you can use substitutes that you can pick up at Walmart or GNC) for a few days. Something about resetting the pancreas? Especially good for me, I take Metformin. When my A1C was normal (5 something - 6 something? I can’t remember.) Internist told me I could stop the Metformin . I told him that since everything is normal with me on the Metformin - lets just keep it that way. He said, “Why, your diet is good.” I told him it was a slippery slope - I am a sugar addict and could fall into the abyss at any moment. He used to be my mother’s doctor too until she and DF moved into retirement community 60 minutes away. She is on 2 meds for her type 2 diabetes, has a weight problem and is not good for very long about sugar. I said, “I love the same evil stuff my mom does…” So he humored me. Good thing because I gained 10+ lbs since then. Last year Dr. Oz did a show on diabetes. He had a schematic that showed the excess sugar in the blood as little razor blades, nicking up your arteries. That scared the heck out of me. When I get down to my goal weight and stay there for a while or if my blood sugar gets too low I will go off of it. I just don’t want those razor blades floating around in my blood stream. I check my blood sugar and it has never been too low. I think getting through the first night without a snack, except celery or an IP snack, was the toughest. I came on 3fc and chatted with people.

Isabella - glad you fundraiser was so successful.

Marie - hope you are feeling better. I think we will miss you when you go back to work full time!

Hmm. This is getting long. Think I better sign off. Hi to everyone!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Leisa! So great that you met your soul mate. I look forward to getting to know you.

Bobbie - the stuff I helped DH pick out to recover something on our old boat was actually the least expensive vinyl we could find. It came out pretty well though -because someone else sewed it!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #40  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Yippee ~ day off tomorrow. Got off work on time tonight ~ yippee again. Haven’t really accomplished anything, but have enjoyed being able to relax a little.

Mom is out of the hospital and home and doing ok so far. They have changed her blood pressure meds around and she has to go back in a couple weeks for a check up to see how they are working. Dad is trying to cook and find things that are lower in sodium. He already made pretty healthy meals, but he is trying to cut back on the sodium where he can in hope of helping the blood pressure.

I had wanted to do a little work on my scrubs tonight, but my little burst of energy didn’t last long enough ~ is gone already ~ sigh…...

Hope you all have a good rest tonight
Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #41  

Hi everyone. another beautiful day here and its melting. went to town for meds and groc. Talked to my dd and they had another breakdown in white horse. got it fixed and on their way again. Jess we have a big house. 2 bedrooms and kitchen, living rm, bathrm, down stairs and 1/2 loft with huge bedroom and bath up stairs. the house is 30' by 40'. we have had 4 generations sleeping here several xmas's ago,and we usually host on holidays as we have the most space. Yes im excited to see my "baby" girl. i talk to her every day but have not seen her in 2 yrs. i have such fun with my kids and grkids. Isabella labs are stinkers till they are about 3,and then its like a switch is turned on and they become great dogs,right now i'd give her away but dh wants his go to the cabin dog. she really is sweet even when bad. today we ate in town. i have not had a burger from a fast food place in 2 yrs. i had a plain carls jr with ketchup and pickels,i didnt eat the top bun and shared some with the dogs. i have to say it tasted yummy like i remembered but dont want to make a habit of it. hope your evenings great rosey

breakfast
coffee
yogurt

lunch
didnt eat

snack
coffee mocha

dinner
carls jr burger

snack
cheese,grapes
27 kellogs snack crackers
iced tea
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #42  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's

Sun still shining beautifully, still too cold to walk outside. Well, I guess I coudl bundle up enough to walk out there.But it's just so much easier to walk on the treadmill while it's cold.

Bobbi, I know that living in the country is a lot of work. Much easier to live closer to town and the convience. I guess we always want what we don't have. I wouldn't like to live too far away from the conviences, but would love to have a garden. But we're getting older too, and it takes me twice as long to do the housework I used to do. Still gets done, just slower.

Gayle, glad to hear that you mom is home again. I hope they got her meds straightened out. My sister, much younger than me, has a hard time regulating her BP too, and eats a very restricted sodium diet. I guess you get used to it. She is in the hospital at least once a year with a hypertension crisus. I think someone mentioned before that they needed to find out why someone had high BP. Sometimes it's impossible to find out and they treat it the same way, no matter what the reason is.

Dee, I'm really surprised that your Dr. told you to stop metformin. I think we all like our carbs. And carbs are not a dirty word. I just try to make sure I have good carbs. Carbs are your body's first choice for energy. I went to a seminar about blood sugar and the Dr. talked about how much damage it done to your body when you waited to lower it by diet and exercise. He said a lot of people would say "give me a few months to do it myself" and they would come in a year later and hadn't controled it and a lot of damage would be done. Good for you for continueing it.

Donna, Sounds like your weather has been like mine. Hot one day and cold the next. I guess it just gave us a little peak of what is to come.

Rosie, My other little doggie ate everything in the house while he was cutting his teeth. Your daughter is getting closer, I know you are getting more excited.

Lynn, Hope you are having fun.

Brenda, Haven't decided what we will have for Easter dinner either. I have to work and won't get home untill 8 so we will probably do dinner another day. I usually have the big ham dinner. I enjoy tradition, with a few little surprises throw in. we always have a big easter egg hunt. I hope the kids don't grow out of that for a long time. Of course, since I usually put some money in the eggs, I don't think it will.

Mary, We haven't planted anything outside yet. I started tomato seeds inside. I've never planted tomato seeds before and i'm just crossing my fingers that they make it. My son had bought us some tomatoes last summer that were huge and really good, so I saved some seeds.

Freda
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello goldens! Happy Tuesday.

I have back-to-back meetings today and then I am home to prepare for the big trip. At 0500 tomorrow I will travel by car with my parents to Grand Forks for DIL final art show for her Masters. I am looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. It takes about 11 hours to drive there. My mom is already driving me crazy "Bless Her Heart". Did I get that right? I'm not from the south....

Donna, you know the idea of me trapped in the car tickles you....

Freda, I will be interested to hear if your tomatoes grow.. I usually go to a local nursery and buy large plants because our growing season is so short.

Gayle, it was so nice chatting with you last night.

Marie, are you working from the couch or just gorking? I have really been enjoying our nightly games and chats.

Bobbi, that car looks amazing and just how I pictured it in my mind.

Karenfl, speaking of cars... I learned to drive in a 1944 ford pickup. It had a giant (or seemed to me) stick shift on the floor. There was a button on the floor that you stomped to start it. The horn said, "AOOOOOGA". Sound familiar to anyone? It was the pickup that we used for irrigating in the summer. I was 12. Prior to that, us kids could only drive the smallish tractors? I used to drive the tractor over to gma's house - about a half mile down the road on the tractor. Funny. Farm kids!

CaddyK, I can't wait til you are here all the time. I miss you.

Rosey, I am loving your stories about your dd adventures in moving and I am hoping for her safe arrival. Labs are wonderful if you survive the first 3 years or so....

Dee, you and I share the idea on metformin. My bs is really, really good and I don't believe in fixing something that isn't broken. Good for you.

Lynn, how are you? busy teaching?

Brenda, we are having Easter dinner at my son's house. It will be their first holiday dinner for family. He is a really good cook but my folks are really picky. I hope they are tolerant.

Yay Mary on getting back to your class. I always think that you feel better when you do that. I am looking forward to your new "do"

Zoe, thinking of you. I suspect, like me, that you are going through one of those "no rest for social workers" times......

Well, I am so sorry that I have run out of time. I will be back to check in tomorrow night. If you hear about a mad woman who lost her mind somewhere in the middle of ND, somebody take up a collection for my bail, ok?
Rie
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #44  
Bobbi

Hello................can you all tell me what you use for emails? I hate mine and not sure what to use. I googled the question and got many answers but I trust you girls in giving me your answer.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

This is what I read this morning....."It could be difficult for you to think straight today. Your brain is prob working in short erratic bursts that keep you guessing about which way to proceed. Avoid confusion." So I went back to bed and will read the rest of the paper tomorrow.

What happened to horoscopes that predicted meeting tall dark and handsome?

Pool is still wee chilly but got a short swim in. Really enjoying it since last summer I was afraid to get my incision wet. The water is in the 80's but it is breezy and getting out getting you moving.

Bobbi....We lived way out in the country for years. 20 minute ride one way for a loaf of bread and moving here to retire we are about a mile from town. Still country but can get to shops movies etc. The 2 of us sit in rockers on the front porch and feel like Ma and Pa Kettle. Now that really dates me! Miss the kids but not the rest....like snow, traffic, taxes....blah

Maryae....Looked up The Mirror and ordered after I found out it wasn't on kindle.

Rie....Hot coffee in a thermos and gum...wads of gum. One to stay awake and one to keep thy mouth closed. Anything said in the car will haunt you forever! EVER! Kids and grands all learned to drive using the Wheelhorse because it looked like a real tractor. Stick in low and let'em go. DD has been driving seriously since she has about 5. I taught her to drive the Oliver with hand clutch because I couldn't. She wheels the horse trailers and equipment around like an old hand. Be nice to Donna causes she's the one who will bail you out.

Marie...are you still staying out of trouble? It has to be time for you get into mischief. You have been too calm and cooperative with this healing process and i expect to you have gotten something started. Like when the kids were little a quiet room worried me.....you are up to something. I can hear the wheels churning all the way down here....Fess up Girl!

Well I now own my aids went in this morning and paid for them. Really happy with them so far.

What are you all doing for Easter? I really don't want ham. I looked at leg of lamb but need to take out a mortgage for that and the chops looked like they had walked here from Australia. Hard to plan for just us 2.

Dash is demanding dinner.....k3
Closed Thread