Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #1  

Default Hormones and Weight

Not sure if there is a section on the forum for this discussion, please let me know, so I thought I would post it here. (I mean 50+ is a good place to start with this.)

I take Bio Hormones and I have always read that avoiding sugar and bad carbs during menopause can help with the power surges and feeling good. And I feel I was pretty much in control taking the hormones and controlling them.

Now that I have been on the SB plan, and have pretty much removed sugar and bad carbs from my diet, I find that it seems I have more power surges than I did before. Am I causing more problems for myself, please tell me no.

It is possible that now my Bio's need to be adjusted because my body has changed?

Is anyone going through this and do you have any suggestions? This is a time of life I am trying to embrace and get through it, and being on SB has made me feel better, but not in this department.

Thanks
Chickadeee
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Hmm, we are all different and I don't take any supplements or hormones but I actually only seem to get flashes when I eat sugar & white carbs. Maybe some tweaking of the hormones will help? Good luck, it's definitely an adventure
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadeee55 View Post
Not sure if there is a section on the forum for this discussion, please let me know, so I thought I would post it here. (I mean 50+ is a good place to start with this.)

I take Bio Hormones and I have always read that avoiding sugar and bad carbs during menopause can help with the power surges and feeling good. And I feel I was pretty much in control taking the hormones and controlling them.

Now that I have been on the SB plan, and have pretty much removed sugar and bad carbs from my diet, I find that it seems I have more power surges than I did before. Am I causing more problems for myself, please tell me no.

It is possible that now my Bio's need to be adjusted because my body has changed?

Is anyone going through this and do you have any suggestions? This is a time of life I am trying to embrace and get through it, and being on SB has made me feel better, but not in this department.

Thanks
Chickadeee
Hi Chick- I'm new to the 50+ site but not to the fifties - I'm 57. I'm on bio hormones. I'm maintaining after losing 30+ lbs on Ideal Protein. I do my own maintenance program -sort of South Beach between cheating! When I get up 5 lbs. I get stricter. I had horrible hot flashes for about 10 years before I started HRT and lost 40 lbs. I had stopped wearing sweaters. I had one on a couple of days ago and had a hot flash at a friends house - don't know where that came from. I don't know if I need my hormones adjusted. I had trouble finding a doctor that would prescribe the bios for me and he is pretty conservative. I don't know how much he is willing to experiment with me. Are you still having problems?
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #4  

i Chick- I'm new to the 50+ site but not to the fifties - I'm 57. I'm on bio hormones. I'm maintaining after losing 30+ lbs on Ideal Protein. I do my own maintenance program -sort of South Beach between cheating! When I get up 5 lbs. I get stricter. I had horrible hot flashes for about 10 years before I started HRT and lost 40 lbs. I had stopped wearing sweaters. I had one on a couple of days ago and had a hot flash at a friends house - don't know where that came from. I don't know if I need my hormones adjusted. I had trouble finding a doctor that would prescribe the bios for me and he is pretty conservative. I don't know how much he is willing to experiment with me. Are you still having problems?

Deelee, thanks for replying to this thread, and thanks for going through this part of your life and sharing it. I find most don't want to talk about it, or just grin and bare it! LOL Not me, I want to know the whys!

Bios are great, I just had to have my dosage adjusted big time, I have lost 19 lbs so according to my Spec Pharamists my percent of body fat has dropped so my body is using up more of the bios quicker. (since fat stores hormornes, makes sense to me now less fat no storage so you use up more of the dose you are taking)

But I got my dose increased and I am now Power Surge free until late evening, then maybe have small ones. (I never did experience sweats, TG). But I also notices that I don't need my night treatment, I sleep through the night better with out it. ( I have to check on that to see if it matters, if I skip it or not.)

But I agree with you, it was very hard for me to find someone to prescribe the Bios, most doctors do not recognize the treatment and I think it is because they don't understand it. But I am happy with it, esp now.

I worry because losing the body fat is a good thing, but not when it affects your balance within. I want to continue on the lifestyle plan I am on so I suppose I will have to have my Bios adjusted as I go.

After all this, I still feel I am embracing this time of my life, I am past the worst part, now I just need to get the thermostat inside me to work correctly! And with this extra weight gone, I feel so much better.

Let me know what you are going to do. This always interests me, it is the one of the best ways to learn new things.

Thanks, happy day to you.

Last edited by chickadeee55; 01-15-2012 at 09:35 AM.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Chickadee,

I think I went through early. I haven't had any power surges for at least a year or maybe two now. I didn't take any hormone replacements or natural supplements. However, I used to always be hot and had trouble with sweating. After this weight loss, no more problems with that. I also think that the lack of empty carbs and sugar makes me feel less hot than before.

Maybe it is just that your weight loss requires a dosage adjustment.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #6  

Chickadeee - what you said makes so much sense. I forgot about how fat increases estrogen. I just thought that each year older I get the less hormones the old ovaries are producing. I weigh 30 lbs less than I did last January so it makes sense that I would need a little more for both those reasons. the main reason I went on hrt had more to do with my difficulty dealing with some big stressers - DH's cancer (he's in remission now) and the death of a loved one. The subject of menopause finally came up in my book club. Turns out I was the only one trying to "grin and bear it." A couple said they would be in jail without it! Once I started hrt my mood improved a lot. And the pain from my fibromyalgia almost disappeared. Then I wanted to get on the bioidenticals. I started going to a special endocrinologist in another state for my hypothyroid. He originally prescribed the bios for me. Then I started interviewing ob/gynes to find one that would prescribe bhrt for me locally. Found one but he only wants me on for 5 years. I smiled and said, "We can argue about that five years from now." I've got about 3 1/2 years left. I went off for a week at his request and my pain came back so strong - I don't ever want to do that again. Hopefully, traditional medicine will catch up so I don't have to change doctors again. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #7  
RomansDoda

S/C/G: Starting weight-173/167/135

Height: 5'6''

Hi chickadee, I saw your post and knew I had to respond. Went into menopause in 2010 surgically (I was home from the hospital for 45 minutes and started flashing and sweating. My doctor would not do biodentical hormones even though I have kidney disease and they would present far less risks, so I spent the next year and a half falling apart slowly but surely. I found an amazing Gyn and she immediately put me on Esterdiol and Prometrium. She monitors my levels with lab work every 5 weeks.This is so important so if I were you I would have those checked to see if the HRT needs to be adjusted. I have learned so much since the new year about the tremendous impact that optimal hormone balance has, not just on our weight, but skin, hair, nails, circulation, heart rate etc. I am trying to encourage everybody I know but especially 50+ women on the subject of eating healthy since watching the FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD documentary. I did not start to heal, become healthy and lose weight until I started juicing and eating raw fruits and vegetables. I have been doing it for 5 to 6 weeks and have lost 11 pounds without killing myself at the gym. I feel amazing and the energy level continues to climb. I would love to hear from you about what you are taking (HRT) and the difference it has made for you. I can't believe I tried to live for almost 2 years with nothing.
romansdoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansdoda View Post
Hi chickadee, I saw your post and knew I had to respond. Went into menopause in 2010 surgically (I was home from the hospital for 45 minutes and started flashing and sweating. My doctor would not do biodentical hormones even though I have kidney disease and they would present far less risks, so I spent the next year and a half falling apart slowly but surely. I found an amazing Gyn and she immediately put me on Esterdiol and Prometrium. She monitors my levels with lab work every 5 weeks.This is so important so if I were you I would have those checked to see if the HRT needs to be adjusted. I have learned so much since the new year about the tremendous impact that optimal hormone balance has, not just on our weight, but skin, hair, nails, circulation, heart rate etc. I am trying to encourage everybody I know but especially 50+ women on the subject of eating healthy since watching the FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD documentary. I did not start to heal, become healthy and lose weight until I started juicing and eating raw fruits and vegetables. I have been doing it for 5 to 6 weeks and have lost 11 pounds without killing myself at the gym. I feel amazing and the energy level continues to climb. I would love to hear from you about what you are taking (HRT) and the difference it has made for you. I can't believe I tried to live for almost 2 years with nothing.

Hi girls,

I saw this post and wanted to respond. I'm having issues after menopause such as no energy, the inability to lose weight effectively, the feeling that my mind is not thinking as sharp as before, possible mild depression and no libido. I'm convinced that HRT will help me in all these areas, and I'm fortunate that there's place in town that specializes in this treatment. I'm scheduled for a consultation on Thursday. Have you experienced this group of symptoms and did they improve with HRT?

Andi
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWoman View Post
Hi girls,

I saw this post and wanted to respond. I'm having issues after menopause such as no energy, the inability to lose weight effectively, the feeling that my mind is not thinking as sharp as before, possible mild depression and no libido. I'm convinced that HRT will help me in all these areas, and I'm fortunate that there's place in town that specializes in this treatment. I'm scheduled for a consultation on Thursday. Have you experienced this group of symptoms and did they improve with HRT?

Andi
Hi Andi,
I had all of the symptoms you described. HRT and then BHRT helped. In fact I think I should go in before my annual because since losing 30+ lbs. some of the symptoms are back, particularly mood. I'm having a rough time with the "empty nest" and some other things. Feeling annoyed by some of these things is normal but I feel very hormonal ie. more sad and depressed than the situation warrants. So, I think HRT has been very helpful. Some women sail through menopause with nary a symptom. But I was surprised at how many were on HRT but the subject never came up. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

I'm glad to hear I'm not going crazy, sometimes it seems that way. I'm also almost an empty-nester as my 3 kids are all living away in college. I seem to be less upbeat, more anxious and just not feeling like myself this past year. I had to move my appointment to Tuesday of next week so will know more about the testing process then.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #11  

Hi - Im bumping this so Marie can take a look at this,