Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Welcome JessD!

I too am a walking fool at work and do a morning and afternoon walk outside and walk on a treadmill during lunch (although we don't have your beautiful weather). We also have a lot of "treats" show up at work and you're right to not take that first bite. Good luck!

We had a very good weekend with all my kids home from college. Served a beautiful glazed salmon dinner Saturday night with lots of compliments. :-)

Hello to everyone, and prayers to Marie for your surgery.

Andi
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #77  
ALASKA

S/C/G: 254/239/195

Height: 5'10

welcome JessD ~ monday is here already? wow...Its so cold this morning i have 9 degrees.. where is spring?
Off to the pool this morning. going to try and make this week a good weight loss week. Its going slow but at least its going
Old 03-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Today is a stay-at-home and catch up on housework stuff. Pretty cold here. I went to the pool this morning but the woman leading the exercises was not very good. I will try again on Wednesday.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Lynn, your daughter looks just like you, too! I didn't realize she was going to Alaska to run! Is there someplace there that's not inundated with snow?Z
Hi Zoe,

My DD & SIL LOVE Alaska in the winter. Furondy, Iditarod, ice sculptures, aurora borealis, and snow, snow, snow.

Your trip to the ocean & dinner sounds WONDERFUL. I LOVE the ocean in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysheets View Post
Hi Girls, for the ones who dont know you can call me Brenda
Hi Brenda,

WELCOME! So happy you came to join us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessD View Post
I'd like to say hello to everyone and introduce myself - my name is Jess, I'm 50 and live in San Diego. I joined 3FC just this morning and have posted in a few of the other threads and am still figuring out my way around...

I'm a breast cancer survivor and have lost 45 lbs since July 2011 with 40 more pounds to go to reach goal. I found the lump in my breast while still in the early stage and my surgeon was able to remove it all. I've been spared chemo and radiation, but must take Tamoxifen for the next five years. I had a mastectomy in July, a trans-flap procedure after complications three weeks later in August, and a breast reconstruction with a reduction of my healthy breast this past December. I have some more breast reconstruction surgery in July. I'm rather sick of surgeries, but I'm finding out I'm a pretty tough old gal.

I'm doing rather well now health-wise, with all things considered. My weight loss so far has had a profound effect on my overall sense of well being and I'm motivated to keep going to goal and to maintain a healthy weight for the rest of my life. I have plans for the future that involve travel and adventure, and I'm finding that I'm loving 50, in spite of the breast cancer experience. But these last stubborn pounds simply HAVE to go!
Hi Jess,

WELCOME! You have found the right place to post. We are a bunch of tough old gals. You will fit right in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hi everyone. it was a beautiful day here,sunny and melty ive been fighting a bladder infection and so i felt like dodo today inspite of the sun but fell asleep with gizmo for company and feel some better now. my gr son Tim didnt win his game last night but being 2nd in regionals means they are going to state. he was also chosen by the other coaches for the all star team. quite an honor and this gramma is bursting with pride.
Hi Rosey,

Did I ever tell you that all those “bladder infections” I was getting were actually reactions to cholesterol meds? I cut back from 2/day to 1/day and the bladder problems disappeared.

CONGRATULATIONS on Tim’s achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
Rosey - I'm planning to call Marie's husband on Tuesday night to check on her, like I did when you had your surgery. I know she'll be just fine! I KNOW, I know.... As they say, it's how I rock!
Hi Donna,

I DEFINITELY am nominating you for the Golden Girls’ Queen of Hospitality! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucindaarrowspark View Post
I spent the weekend stable and I did not lose control. But I will stay off the scale until Wednesday to avoid making the scale my focal point.
Hi Lucinda,

CONGRATULATIONS on a good weekend. Funny, since I am retired, one day is the same as another. No more weekend issues with eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmn11 View Post
For the readers on the board - I am reading a book that is the best book I've read in a very long time. It is a mystery with many interesting twists and turns. I can't put it down. It is "Never Look Away" by Linwood Barclay. Highly recommended for those who like a good mystery. Maryea, isn't that the writer you recommended?
Hi Carol Sue,

I will download that book right now. I am currently reading a book as part of my Discussion group that I do NOT like. It will be good to have something interesting to switch off to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWoman View Post
I too am a walking fool at work and do a morning and afternoon walk outside and walk on a treadmill during lunch (although we don't have your beautiful weather). Andi
Hi Andi,

I WAS a walking fool – now just a plain fool. Over the holidays, I got out of the habit of doing any REAL exercise and am paying for it on the scale. I need some kind of a challenge to get back to it. When I was training for the ˝ marathon, I was doing GREAT!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #79  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi girls, I have part of personals typed on my word, then had errands to run in town. I'll finish later or tomorrow morning....I mainly wanted to wish you MARIE happy thoughts on your surgery tomorrow. I will pray for the physicians steady hands, clear head and Gods healing. We'll all be with you in spirit
Old 03-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #80  

Hi everyone. just a quick post as im using my laptop which decided to work but not knowing for how long. wanted to say Marie i wish you a safe surg. and a speedy recovery. we will be thinking about you.(((hugs))) for all and hope your mondays great rosey

breakfast
coffee
atkins protein bar

lunch
omelet
1 slice toast

snack
coffee mocha
cantalope

dinner
small cubed steak
sweet potatoe
green salad
Old 03-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Marie, sending good thoughts your way. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #82  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Marie...
Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #83  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

my love is with you Marie.. May G-d bring you a full recovery.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all......Marie you know we are all here waiting for the better Marie to show up painfree and bopping to loud joyful music.

Okay had good intentions to do personals since i have been lazy, but ain't gonna cause i wanna gloat. I made the World's Bestest ever Dessert. It is beyond good. I'd mail you all a bowl but homeland security would steal it. It was strawberry rhubarb pie without a crust..........As close as fitday can figure about 30 cals per bowl. Sweet and tart and pretty and tasty....and did I mention easy to make.... stewed the rhubarb in small chunks (2cups), in couple cups of water, when tender add alot of Splenda and then sliced strawberries. Brought back to a boil and thickened with corn starch. When reboiling take off heat and cool. Put in bowl and chill.......It is every Spring I can ever remember as a kid......Dh is grinning and took a pie with filling to friends who had never even heard of rhubarb , think am getting orders for more. Few calories in the berries...cornstarch is biggest baddy.....

Home most of tomorrow and will do personals then....welcome newbies. Pull up a chair, pour of cuppa and join in the coffee klatch....some one is always peeking in if you need some support or just a shoulder. We do have a posse that will inflict lumps with the always handy rolling pin on anyone who isn't nice/good to our golden chicks.

back tomorrow hugs k3
Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #85  
Bobbi

I'm back....Zoe, I didn't know you were eating one meal a day. How's that working for you? What happened to your healthy breakfast? As to my mom's chair, I liked it much better with the floral pattern on it. I actually hate the brown velvet-like material I purchased for it. I had to find material to match my new chair and our only choice was a solid...boring!
Quote:
I'm back to my one (healthy) meal today, though. Still remodeling, Bobbi? Come up for air and have a chat soon! Pretty chair, incidentally. I have one very much like it, covered in a beige-y tapestry cloth. I love it.
Brenda...I'm really jealous of your 5'10" height, lucky you.

JessD...I can't remember if I welcomed you, welcome. You certainly have been thru a bad season or two. Congrats on the 45 pounds and isn't it fun buying new clothes!
Quote:
I'm a breast cancer survivor and have lost 45 lbs since July 2011 with 40 more pounds to go to reach goal.
Carol Sue, thanks for the suggestion on Linwood Barclay books, don't think I've read him before. As for your sleepless nights, you might have spoiled your grandkid, Yup. What's better than snuggling up to a warm granny!
Quote:
Never Look Away" by Linwood Barclay.I don't think we will be doing sleepovers again until he gets over this stage. I'm getting too old for this. I think the mistake was when they started lying in bed with him.
Mary...what kind of lights did Joe put up? Ceiling lights, wall lights, lights on both sides of a mirror? You'll have to show us pictures. We have an old fashion medicine cabinet in one of our bathrooms and it HAS TO GO!
Quote:
Joe has the lights up in the bathroom, now just waiting to get a new towel rack and TP holder. So almost done.
I copied some of this information unto word and forgot who mentioned Faye Kellerman books. Was that you Mary since it was under the information about Joe's lighting.
Quote:
I'm reading Gun Games by Faye Kellerman. She's one of my favorite authors
ladysheets...I saw where someone asked your name and I can't remember so this is for you...I'm appreciating our wild game meat more and more nowadays. With all the junk they pump into beef and pork, makes you wonder what you're eating. Game meat is still untainted and we love it. My dd hasn't been moose hunting before but we've eaten lots of antelope, elk and venison over the years.
Donna...you mentioned cooking in the crock pot like it was a faux pas: I use a crock pot at least once, sometimes twice a week. Today I made corned beef and cabbage in it, no brainer. Have you ever tried a whole chicken? They are delicious in a crock pot, ya gotta try it. You get really yummy broth that you can make chicken soup with after you've had a couple meals of chicken as the main entree. We've been watching ads on tv lately about Reuben sandwiches, that' why I purchased the corn beef. Tomorrow we'll have the Reubens, yum!
Quote:
I made pork chops and sauerkraut in the, um, like, SLOW COOKER last night,

Isabella...where's your pictures of the new kitchen and orange cabinets. I have to see pictures to believe it.
Rosey...I added Wilbur smith to my list of books to look for. You gals are the best source of good reading material. I've not seen his name before but I'm pretty selective in my books since I get all large print. Many of these authors don't publish in the large print.
Lynn...how did your daughters run go in Alaska? Too bad you couldn't go up and cheer her on. When are you going to retire completely?
Glynne...same for my hubby, he isn't picky at all. We actually enjoy leftovers better than when freshly cooked, the flavors all mingle together. Now you have me wondering who had the picky hubby that wouldn't eat leftovers. I'll have to go back and check.
Quote:
I am lucky, my DH will eat left overs ~ even the same thing several nights in a row.
Freda...see note to Zoe. Ugly chocolate brown. I like color and brown doesn't suit me but it goes well with the rest of our furniture. I did make a pillow for it with some of the pattern in the couch to spruce it up. The original material was still on this chair when I recovered it for mom many years ago. It was a very rich dark burgundy in a velvet material but worn bare in many spots. That's why I choose another velvety type material this time around.
Quote:
Love the old chair. What color did you get to upholster it in? When I see most of those old chairs with the original covering they are in red or green
Hi KarenMo...I know you're busy packing and I hope this move will be permanent for you and Tim. Isn't it nice that we can buy what we want in our older age. I remember many years ago when we purchased our country home, we couldn't afford it. That's when I quit using the dryer and hung all clothes up on the lines outside. It really cut down on our electricity bill back then. It seems like our kids have it harder than we did but I think they have to have everything now and pay for it later.
Karenfla...I'll have to get my camera out in a couple of weeks and show you what I have growing on my meyer lemon tree. Yeah, LEMONS! I didn't know I'd get them this early, the baby tree is only about 1.5 feet high. I counted at least 16 little bitty globes.
This is driving me crazy wondering about the food poisoning hubby, be back after I back up a couple of pages.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #86  
Bobbi

Hi KarenFla...we posted the same time. I love rhubarb strawberry pie, that's how my mom always made it only with crust. I have rhubarb strawberry jam in the freezer from last summer and it's a great combination. Wait until I make my meyer lemon pie!
Okay, it was Carol Sue with the NO LEFTOVER'S for me hubby. Where did he ever get the idea that fresh is best Carol Sue?
Quote:
DH would not eat it. He will only eat things that are freshly made. One time I made a roaster of shredded beef for a shower the next day and he told me not to tell anyone I made it the day before or they wouldn't eat it. LOL If I had made it the day of the shower I would have had to get up at 3AM to start it!
Andi... the picture of the hamster with a carrot in his mouth is too funny! My dd had a hamster when she was small, she called it torpedo butt. Brought back great memories of the little fella.
Ladysheets, sorry, I see your name now...Brenda. Great, we don't have a brenda here.
LUc13 or Linda...
Carol Sue...you mentioned Lasagna. I used thinly sliced zucchini once in a recipe for lasagna instead of lasagna noodles. It was fantastic, you couldn't tell it was zucchini. A whole lot lower calories too.
Sorry for anyone I missed, I have to get off this cp as my butt is getting sore.
Rie...that's who I missed. Are you home now?

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-05-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #87  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Zoe, your Saturday adventure to Newport sounded like a blast. I’d so like to join you.

KarenFL but Donna would never freeze SamCat. Never. I worry about her cuddling with him the next forty years but not freezing him. And Donna, are you saying there’s plenty of room in your new freezer for Karen? If so, then KarenMO is right that it is good there’s many states between the two of you.

JessD, welcome to the group. I’m so happy that you caught the breast cancer early and showed it you were boss. I love fruit platters. I could be a fruitatarian if I count the cocoa bean (and coffee bean) as fruit. I hope the potluck goes well. Those pounds will go away.

Rosey, Miss Donna will take care of letting everyone know how it goes. We have it all pre-arranged. And yes, Donna is awesome. As is everyone else.

Val, no signs of the cold today so I didn’t mention it. Probably an after effect of having accidently consumed soy on Saturday and having the throat constrict a bit. Took 24 hours to get out of my system and the throat is better. No fever so the surgery is still on. Now, The Lorax… I enjoyed it. DGS enjoyed it and we had a great date, topped off by a trip to Starbucks. We had fun. I think the way they integrated the book’s story into current time was awesome. I did have a problem with some of the reviews that went on and on about the liberal propaganda. HELLO??? Clearly they never read the book. The book is about greed and destroying the earth for monetary gain. Did you like it?

Carol Sue, I chatted with the dr. about going home tomorrow and he said he’d approve it but to be careful about making that choice. He had good solid reasons. So we will wait and see. Little does he know my doggies are healers (not the breed but like really able to heal my woes).

Andi, I love the idea of having a treadmill at work. That would be so wonderful.

Lynn, a reaction to the cholesterol med?!?!?! I’m glad that is figured out. I’m assuming the med has been changed and you’ll feel better soon. And you’ll be back to walking fool soon because you rock!

KarenFL, your crustless strawberry rhubarb sounds amazing. I must remember you posted on surgery eve and I’m going to make it when I have some strawberries and rhubarb. Sounds so good.

I’m with Bobbi, Zoe. I didn’t know you were doing the 1 meal a day plan. I just couldn’t do that. No way. I like eating way too much. And Bobbi, eggplant works great (like zucchini) instead of lasagna noodles. I love the name torpedo butt. I can just picture the hamster’s #2’s flying out.

Thanks to all for the good wishes. I love you all and am so lucky to have found you. I’m ready for the big day and ready to start a new chapter of no monthly zapping pain. And no cold as far as I can tell. A little headache but I think that’s from the #(%&$% liquid diet. Twice in less than two weeks is two times too many. Gotta get ready for bed. They moved up the check in time to 6:00 from 8:30. I didn’t like that as there’s snow on the way so the roads will be a mess. Good thing my DH is a natural born driver and can drive on anything. I’ll be back on Wednesday unless they have wifi for my iPad.
Marie
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi all!

I am just back from pool league tonight. It was a fun night as we played Sean's family team. Always a blast. I was a hero because I ran out on Sean and won us a big score."go Val".

Lynn, I am so glad that the "uti" issue is resolved. I am going to start training to walk a 1/2 marathon this year. I hope my knee holds up. What do you have on the excercise agenda this year?

Karenfl, joining you in chasing Donna around the crone circle.... She is naughty. Good thing I like her!

Rosey, I am so glad that we will have a way to check on Marie tomorrow.

Marie, I know that things will be going well but I will be thinking about you. Here's to the dissappearance of the monthly pain..... I liked the lorax, too. Very much.

Zoe, I missed the "one meal per day" thing also. How is that working? The weekend escape sounds wonderful.

Bobbi, lasagna with zucchini for noddles is so good! Are the house repairs almost done?

Mary did you enjoy the caucus? I heard on TV that the caucus in your state didn't count? that the delegates aren't boung by what happens in the caucus?

Karen, rhubarb is so great in the freezer. Such a strong and pure taste.

Rosey, how is steve doing? Ok, I hope?

Karen, when will you start packing?

To those that I am missing, forgive me. I am tired......Hugs to all.

Rie

Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #89  

Just wanted to say "prayers for you Marie". By now you should be out of surgery, if you went in on time. Speedy recovery. Got to get home quick, the babies are missing you. But be sure to listen to the Dr. about how long to stay in the hospital. Believe me, they won't keep you any longer than necessary.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

First, I am thinking about you, Marie, and hoping all goes well today.

Bobbi, you made me laugh. I really think of myself as "completely retired." My online teaching is my love/passion. I won't stop that unless/until I can no longer do it. I probably don't think of it as "working" because the pay is so low. My DD once figured out that given the number of hours I put in, I'm making about $2/hour.

Rie, this is the problem - I do not really have an "exercise agenda" now. I know I do not want to do another 1/2 - too physically stressful for me. But I really should do a 5k or 10k just to keep myself in shape. Want to meet someplace for a 5 or 10k?

Isabella, I made a version of your ww pasta w cheese & tomato sauce. It was GREAT! I used lo-fat ricotta mixed with part-skim mozzarella. Layered the pasta w the cheese and the sauce and baked it with some mozzarella on top.

Today, I am going to the college where I used to work & meeting some old friends and advising the person who now has my old job about starting an Alumni Association. We had one meeting with about 10 alums, but no real association building.

I will check back later this evening.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 03-06-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Closed Thread