Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #181  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

This is the recipe on the bottom of the post.

Quote:
Stir-Fried Celery with Peanuts

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/st...ed_celery.html

From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Prep all the ingredients before you begin the celery stir-fry—once the skillet is hot, the dish cooks in minutes. Cut zest from the orange with a vegetable peeler before you juice it.

6 servings, about 1/2 cup each | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients

2 strips (2-by-1/2-inch) orange zest
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
4 cups diagonally sliced celery (large outer stalks)
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup halved and slivered red onion
1/4 cup chopped lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts
Preparation

Cut orange zest into fine slivers. Whisk orange juice, tamari (or soy sauce), honey and cornstarch in a small bowl until blended.
Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil, celery and the orange zest. Stir-fry until the celery is crisp-tender, but still bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic. Add the orange juice mixture and onion and stir-fry just until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with peanuts.
Nutrition

Per serving : 117 Calories; 8 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 10 g Carbohydrates; 2 g Protein; 2 g Fiber; 282 mg Sodium; 279 mg Potassium

1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
Old 03-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Quick pop in---Carol Sue -- so sorry to hear about your BIL.. I hope this scares him enough to want to make changes. Will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Got to get to packing-- plan to "Close" the kitchen today!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello goldens! Happy Saturday!

It is another beautiful and sunny day here but I am being a good girl and resting my knee. Later today I am going on a brief road trip to Hardin, MT with friends. My friend (who does IP) has decided to have a cheat day at a place that serves amazing fried chicken for her birthday. I promised her that I would go along... I am not even going to pretend that I will try to stay on some semblance of a plan. Oh, the sacrifices we make for our friends!!!

CarolSue, I am so sorry about your bil. Feel free to vent here all you want. I am in a similar situation with my dad - he is huge. But, dad is still working, active, and gets regular medical care. The reality is that your BIL probably won't be able to pay his medical bills. The ambulance ride alone is probably 2 mos income Hopefully, it will be a wake up for him.

Bobbi, I loved the picture of your scrabble board because there is Charlie. I think it is so great how he always gets in the picture. The idea of an ongoing scrabble game is so smart. Gotta keep the noggin working - right?

CK, so if you close the kitchen do you just eat sandwiches and stuff? It sounds like you are really moving along with your packing. Such a big job. I hope that Tim is doing ok.

Rosey, I tried a sample of the chocolate cream cheese. I don't dare bring that into my house. I will just continue to tell myself that the yogurt+sfpudding+ricotta is just as good. (sigh) Actually, it is pretty good and I can have a large serving.

Luc, wow, 6 pounds is wonderful! What plan are you doing?

Auto, I want to get a kindle and then my goal is to read the classics. They are free on there. I recently re-read orwells animal farm. I enjoyed it but it was a little depressing because it had so much to say about the American political system I admire you for your cheerfulness in the face of the heartbreak that has befallen you and your family.

Lynn, "cousins reunion?" just your cousins get together or is that just what you call it? I am in the early stages of trying to arrange a family reunion picnic for my family this summer.

Well, I think I am caught up. Off to complete my lazy day....

Rie
Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #184  

i also have a busy day today. went to get my hair cut this morning. put a load in the dryer. will take that out later on today and will put another load in the dryer.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #185  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Isabella, have a fun time at the b-day party and enjoy that spendy cake.

Rie, trust me a smartphone with Words for Friends is not everything it’s cracked up to be, especially with GG aging eyes. It’s hard to see the big picture and know where to play. Certainly possible and I do it occasionally but the ipad is way better. Enjoy your cheat plan. Supporting your friend is a good thing and you’ll have a blast.

Andi, let us know how the magnolia bark works for you. I’ve never heard of that. I’d think of taking it in the mornings at work. Co-worker idiocy stresses me and that is when I munch.

Carol Sue, I almost clicked on an article about the pink slime and decided I really didn’t need to know or want to see. It could have had an image that I’d never be able to eradicate. I’m very sorry about your BIL. Watching a loved one make really bad choices is so frustrating. Vent all you need and we’ll all hope he wakes up and smells reality.

Deelee, LOL at laying flat on your back to get the gas to leave. I’m with you on that one. I didn’t want to move because the exploding bubbles exploded with more oomph than if I didn’t move a muscle. Although everyone said movement would make it go away sooner. I figured 8 hours of nasty pain was better than 5 hours of excruciating, death wishing pain.

Lynn, I love your adventures. You do retirement perfectly (except when you teach too many classes). You seem to have so much fun.

Auto, I’m so sorry for the recent loss of your father. At least you were with him before he passed instead of the funeral. To him, I bet that was way more important.

Luc1313, I love TB for tired butt. I always used TB as tiny bladder as I like to stop at nearly every rest area on a car trip.

Karen, I’m glad you’re making progress in your packing. And silliness is always welcome.

Rosey, the chocolate cream cheese sounds like it could addict me and never let go. I’m glad some of your snow is melting. You have way too much.

Bobbi, I love your ongoing Scrabble game with your DH. That is quite creative. I’m enjoying our game but it looks like I will lose my second game. It’s good for my character, right??? My DH and I used to play non-competitive Scrabble in where we didn’t keep points because I’d take him to the cleaners. We made the quest in using every tile with unique words. It was fun. Maybe I can get that back with your folder idea covering the tiles. That could be fun with us working opposite hours. BTW, your puppy guarding the board would be the exact opposite of mine – my huskies would be taking the tiles and dragging the board outside.

CC, enjoy your day. I love getting my hair trimmed. I’m thinking having someone else wash, dry and style my hair is close to utopia.

Nothing much going on in my little world. The boredom days are starting to set in but I will endure them. I had pizza last night and the liquid diet is over. Done. Finished. That was cause for a mental happy dance since dancing is a no no at the moment. Have a great day everyone.
Marie
Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #186  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All….

From the land of Nod (went to bed at 8:30; got up at 7 a.m…. NICE)…

Isabella – I’m with you. I’ve lived in this house since 1985, and there are still unpacked boxes. When I got married the first time in 1967, it was usual to give silver and crystal as wedding gifts (to a 19-year-old girl?????); I am NOT a silver and crystal kind of girlie. They’re still boxed up. I haven’t looked at them in 30 years; I wonder if the silver is black?

Since my normal exercise routine takes (hold on!) about 5 minutes now, how far would that get me in your walking marathon?

The monkey face pizzas are too cute! I hope a good time was had by all, but especially the birthday boy! I do want to see pictures of that expensive cake, too…

Mary – all the stuff with the hernias sounds bad. STAY WELL!!! When does your company arrive? Any more on the house and the aftermath?

Rie – is your knee all better? Here’s an “oh, poor baby” to make you feel better! My agenda for the weekend? Well, I have two lovely young men (oh, I do love young men!) coming to give me an estimate on getting the yard in shape for the coming, eiuuu, ick, yuck, summer season. If they can power rake and get some of the dead stuff cleaned up, it would be great. Other than that entertainment, I don’t have much else planned.

Oh, I so agree that JessD looks like a CA girl! I think her picture is beautiful, very appealing.

Rosey – waiting to see your quilt pictures… you always do such nice work! Creative and imaginative… and full of love! I’d like to be one of your GS! You sound very contented in your posts. How’s our boy DH? Is he still being Mr. CrankyPants? Is he feeling better, I hope? And Miss NaughtySadie?

Ah, Freda – I think you’re wonderful, and I always look for your posts. Weird? Hey, you’re among friends!

I was dubbed the “social director” when I was in nursing school and had to keep all those chickies in line. It’s my fatal flaw that I have to use my border collie personality to keep everyone and everything where I can find them! Unfortunately, it’s not a trait that I carry into my personal living space! Thank you all for being patient with me. I’m an aged crone now and probably won’t change very much!

Lynn – was the outing with your DF the Alzheimer’s DF? Your day sounded lovely!!

Wow, Auto – impressive reading list!

Bobbi – reiterate the pink slime thing, if you would. I saw the teaser on the tv but didn’t get around to watching it. And is the kitchen progressing as you hoped? Eager for “after” pictures…! Beautiful picture of handsome Charlie!

Marie – how are you this fine day? How much and what kind of exercise are you allowed? Has la poopoo made an appearance? What about foods? Are the babies being gentle with you? Pats to all pets, BelovedKai, Sasha, Kody, Blizzie, and David…

Oh, CarolSue – such news about your BIL! I hope he gets some help before he kills himself.

PT/Zoe – I hope your weekend is relaxing… How are you doing on your one-a-day plan?

I know I've neglected many... Newbies - welcome! Everyone, have a good weekend. The laundry needs to be taken out of the dryer and folded! Onward, lovelies!!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #187  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Good morning all, it is Sunday morning here and pouring with rain. This will make local floods. Everyone has been working so hard to keep the sewers going that nobody is worrying about the storm water drains. It's high tides at the moment too, and as the land has sunk too we will have flooding from that as well. Our bit of land has actually risen....it has sort of tipped, the beach end of our road has gone up, the river end has gone down....so we will be high and dry, but it is a bit depressing for those still left at the river end.

Pink slime? You are so going to have to fill me in on this one! I have no idea what you are talking about!

Carolsue, I'm sorry to hear about your brother in law, I hope he gets his tests soon. What happens to you in America if you cannot pay your medical bills?

Marie, you sound better, take it steady, and don't try to do too much too soon.

Rie, how is the knee now?

Rosey, I quilt too, I am just thinking about a new one. I would love to see pictures. I cannot do pictures....or a signature ....yet.

Hello to everyone else, I am slowly starting to get you all sorted out.

Auto
Old 03-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #188  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

My day is kind of mixed up. I got a late start (had trouble sleeping the last couple of nights), so I did my visit to my DF with Alzheimer’s first thing. Just got back and plan to go to the gym this afternoon (usually my first-thing-in-the-morning activity). Honestly, if we did not have our walking challenge, I would skip the gym today. [This is why I need these challenges.]

Check back later,

Lynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
What is everybody else reading? I am a bit between books at the moment. last year my new years resolution was to read the Great Books. I started on The Epic of Gilgamesh and moved onto the Greeks, I had just finished the Iliad and was about to start on the Odyssey when we had the big quake. For the next 19 days of the emergency I didn't read anything...the longest i have gone without books in my life....and then i could only read kids books! I read all the kids stuff and them moved onto D.E. Stevenson, Rosamund Pilcher etc. It was all i could cope with! Now though i think i am ready for something else!
Hi Auto,

Sorry to read about your dad. Glad you got to see him before he died – MUCH better than getting to the funeral.

I just finished The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. You have to be a SERIOUS reader to like this one. I hated it in the first ¾ of the book – loved it by the last ¼.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmn11 View Post
My BIL went to the ER by ambulance yesterday. He is 63, never married, lives alone. He took his SS at 62 and does part-time telemarketing from his home, but has no medical insurance. He has been complaining of medical problems for years but would never go to the DR. Finally, he felt so terrible that he called 911. The EMTs said his blood pressure was 250/110 and took him to the ER. He is so overweight. He literally eats constantly. He always has a bag of cheese curls, or pretzels or corn chips open and just sits and eats all day.....while he works, sitting outside in the evening. All the time.
Hi Carol Sue,

I am sorry to read about your BIL. Food addiction is VERY hard to beat. I have given up s@x, smoking, nail-biting, drinking, and caffeine. NONE are anywhere near as difficult to give up as the wrong foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
This is the recipe on the bottom of the post.
Hi Bobbi,

I am going to try that recipe – sounds GREAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Lynn, "cousins reunion?" just your cousins get together or is that just what you call it? I am in the early stages of trying to arrange a family reunion picnic for my family this summer.
Hi Rie,

We call it our “cousins’ reunion.” Started about 10 years ago. All female first cousins from my mother’s line get together once a year. There are 6 of us and mostly my sister and I fly down to FL or GA to meet them. Two live in FL, two live in GA, my sister lives in NJ and I live in PA. This year, we are headed to the West Coast in FL – Anna Maria Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Lynn, I love your adventures. You do retirement perfectly (except when you teach too many classes). You seem to have so much fun.
Hi Marie,

My DF and I have been enjoying a “vacation day” for over 20 years. We started this when we were both working in VERY stressful jobs. One day/week we pick one or two fun things to do – crafts fairs, towns, antiquing, flea markets, museums, long walks, movies, plays, jigsaw puzzles… Now that we are both retired, we no longer need to “de-stress,” but we have kept up our “vacation day” routine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
[COLOR="Indigo"]Since my normal exercise routine takes (hold on!) about 5 minutes now, how far would that get me in your walking marathon?
Hi Donna,

You can make your 5 minutes = 50 miles or 500 miles if you want. Everyone decides for herself how she wants to formulate miles.

No, unfortunately, my DF with Alzheimer’s can no longer enjoy those kinds of things. I saw her today. We went for a cup of coffee and a walk around the block. She has recuperated from her fall.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 03-10-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #189  

Morning everyone ive been fooling around with dh computer as i wanted to post a picture of the baby quilt im making. its been yrs since i have used this old relic and have to relearn it. the quilt is for my son-inlaws sister who i have known since she was 14. this is her 2nd baby a little boy, her dh is a test pilot for the airforce so i choose and airplane theme. she on fb so im posting it here. the quilt is pinned together and im hand quilting it. ttfn i will be back lol rosey hey it worked i guess old farts can learn hope your days awsome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HaileyandParker2010 054.jpg (31.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg HaileyandParker2010 056.jpg (31.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by akrosey49; 03-10-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #190  
Donna

Rosey - PERFECT! How big are these quilts of yours?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #191  

i did enjoy it. have a load of clothes in the dryer that need to be folded. will do that soon.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #192  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Donna, I giggled with your post about silver and crystal. I inherited my grandmother’s china and we’ve never unpacked it. I don’t want it. I have hearty Pfaltzgraff that I love. The silver might help cover the skip if you polished it and turned it in. All pups enjoyed their pats from Aunt Donna. I couldn’t bring myself to pat my DH.

Auto, the description of the land tilting was interesting. I don’t think that would give me comfort to know the land was shifting so much.

Lynn, I’m glad your DF is recovering from her fall. Are they able to treat the Parkinson’s with the Alzheimers? Did you say she was in her 60s? That seems so young. And you are blessed to have your vacation day friend and so is she. Not many are that lucky.

Rosey, the quilt is amazing. It is so cute. I have a DGS due in April and both his father and grandfather (my son and my hubby) are Air Force. Perhaps I should consider making one. I’m trying to figure out what I can do to alleviate boredom. I came up with quilting on the list but the list is getting long. I should hire you to make one.

My nap was fabulous this afternoon. I maneuvered onto my stomach and it didn’t hurt. I slept so soundly. It was awesome. So that was the highlight of my day EXCEPT I described Bobbi’s Scrabble game with her DH to my DH. As I mentioned, we used to play non-competitive Scrabble and loved it. He thought it would be pretty cool to leave set up in the craft or guest room and play non-competitive again. So we ordered a new board that has the raised grooves like Bobbi’s so the tiles won’t move. See Bobbi, you’re a trend setter.
Marie
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #193  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

All of you remodeling ladies have inspired me. The tile has been falling off the walls in my master bath for about 2 - 3 years. Dh kept putting them back in and regrouting/calking. But every time I went out to pick out new tile, etc. it was just too overwhelming so I would give up for a few more months. Finally, I actually managed to pick out tile. And, our contractor who did our basement had an opening so I had to make a lot of choices this week. He starts demo on Monday morning. This week went by so fast. I realize I need to tackle projects. DH is a pretty good do-it-yourselfer but is not as good as a professional. More importantly, his back is kind of disintegrating (osteo arthritis and osteo porousis - excuse spelling.) I told him to save his back for things he REALLY enjoys, like playing hockey (he’s a goalie) and golf. He had cancer in 2004 and I don’t want him inhaling any mold, which I know will be hiding in the walls or dust of any kind. Who knows what those old tiles etc. are made of? Our house is 35 years old and I don’t know what kind of carcinogins they may have used back then. He wanted to do some of the demo. And, in fact started to do some. He hates to pay people to do things he can do himself. (He doesn’t feel that way about cleaning toilets though!) I had to go into “mean mommy mode” when I found him drilling out tiles - air thick with dust and no mask on.

Rie - so sorry about your knee. That stinks. I hope it heals quickly.

Marie- so sorry that you have to endure that nasty pain. L Do you take anything for it? When I had my shoulder surgery in January 2011 - I took the pain meds they gave me. Especially in the early days.

Clecie - welcome!

Carole Sue - Sorry about BIL. It is hard to watch people we love live in self destructive ways. I totally understand your frustration. Hopefully, his doctor will scare the poopy out of him. Maybe he can get CHIPS - it’s an insurance for people that can’t get insurance. Not sure if it’s a state thing. We have it in IL.
On the positive side - you cleaned out a junk box! I find that very impressive. I know everyone has a junk drawer. I have MULTIPLE junk drawers. And a number of boxes. I can’t decide what is junk. Like your poem - I love that poem - definitely not junk. I have all my kids’ report cards, including those little progress notes it they got every 3 weeks. But if the teacher wrote, “A pleasure to have in class,” how can I throw that out? Then I have a box with all my papers from grad school. That was a lot of work. Can’t bring myself to part with it. I did clear out a lot of the kids art work. Kept anything that said, I love MOM and/or DAD.” Got that down to a shoe box. What do all you super organized people do?

Reading. For my book club - Just read “The Space Between Us.” by Thrity Umrigar. Takes place in India and is about the relationship between a middle class woman and her servant. Very good. And we are now reading “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.” It is nonfiction about an African American woman whose cancer cells were used without her or her families permission for research. The girls are saying it is very good, not too technical. For pure fun I’m reading the latest Michael Connelly book, “The Drop.” It’s a Harry Bosch detective thing. I like light reading when I’m on the stationary bike or elliptical. I like Grisham for that too.

I’m going to join the Colorado Springs walk as soon as I figure out how far I’m going.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #194  

S/C/G: 280/277/170

Height: 5'7"

Good Evening all y0ou Chick-a-dees!
Had a very pleasant day. We had Sister Circle which is a group of Christian ladies getting together.I was disappointed in the main speaker, but was still fun. It was a sunny day, but still chilly. It is to really take off tomorrow. I can feel the "dirt itch" a comin' on!! The equipment has been made ready and is waiting. I didn't ask how much we paid for seed corn this year. I really don't want to know!!!
Rie - I am counting calories and trying to avoid sweets. I did fine until today. We had a box lunch and a BIG cookie, which I inhaled! Not a pretty sight.
Well, since I get an hour's less sleep tongiht I had better get moving. Night all, Linda
Old 03-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #195  
Donna

Here's a pink slime link... interesting, but oooogie!

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/...sp=mostpopular
Closed Thread