Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #406  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Mary, we already live in Carthage that has the 3 Chinese buffets... then we have the Sirloin Stockade, another buffet then there is Roots 66, another buffet. And that isnt counting all the regualr walk in sit down and fast foods!! Carthage loves to eat!!! LOL!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #407  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Never got to South Jersey yesterday. I called my friend's daughter & DF had a doctor's appt. So, I am going down this morning.

REALLY cold here today, but sunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Being Accountable
Wt. - 148 lbs

Exercise – 30 min - 10 min arm cycle; 15 min bike; 5 min elliptical (I thought this would be better for my knee than the treadmill, but it was NG.

Breakfast – Nugo Protein bar

Morning Snack – cranberry/blueberry scone

Lunch – SF/FF pudding w SF Cool Whip

Afternoon Snack - None

Dinner - Lamb chop; yam; applesauce

Evening Snack – lo-carb yogurt w prunes

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 02-26-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #408  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning...It's so windy here that I had to hold the edge of the door with both hands when letting Charlie out today. I'm feeling sorry for our eagles, it's windy there too. (We're about 100 miles from the nest)
Gayle and KarenFla...glad you're enjoying the eagles! They have many classrooms that watch and get involved in the chats. I viewed one picture where Bob laid down in the nest to show how wide it was. I keep the eagles on all day so I can get a glimpse of them when walking thru the room. My daughter has her classroom tuned into a momma bear in hibernation everyday, I checked it out and not as interesting as the eagles.
Nothing special going on today, trip into town to visit MIL. Last Sunday she made me so angry, she insisted she just got back from her European trip. Yes, I know she has dementia and can't remember that was 15-20 years ago. Maybe if I liked her I'd be more patient. I only go to see her because nobody else does.
Donna...I'm not building up any rewards in heaven since God knows I can't stand her.
Lynn...do you find it hard to talk to your friend with Alzheimer's? With my MIL, she remembers everything from 25 years ago but nothing current. It's really hard to keep the conversation going, after about 10 minutes I'm ready to go home.
KarenMo...I rarely go to buffets, I can't control myself. Instead of filling up on the salad bars first, I go directly to the meat and dessert bars.
Mary...please take pictures of your bathroom remodeling. It's fun to see how other folks decorate. I love the DIY channels and make-over on TV. Gives me lots of ideas.
Isabella...pictures of your remodeling? Did you take snap shots of your kitchen cupboards before?
Zoe...I was a tad nervous when I retired early, what was I going to do without that extra spending money. I never missed it, really. I bumped around the house for about 12 years before DH retired at 62. Now that took some getting used to. 24/7? Hmmmmmm, like Rosey enjoying Steve's trip to his cabin. I love when DH goes hunting. I've mentioned before what a neat freak DH is, he does most of the housework so I can't complain much. Sept 10th we'll be married 47 years and I would hate to lose him after he's so well trained.
I made a note of the Forgotten Garden and the Good Dog. I'll check them out today at the library if available. I just finished a Romance which I rarely check out. It really wasn't a romance like the sickeningly trash on most romances. Barbara Taylor Bradford (Dangerous to Know).
Hi Brenda, I'll have to check out the map and see where you live in Alaska. Do you eat game meat like Rosey, Rie and I?
After reading the book, Toxin....I don't want to eat beef. The book was about E coli and hamburgers at a fast food joint.
Carol Sue...I retired in 1998 because of plantar fasciitis, heel spurs and bunions. It was getting painful to be on my feet all day so I just hung it up at 53 yrs. old. Do you remember the first day of freedom from work. Looking back, I still remember the wonderful feeling of never punching a time clock again. BLISS!
Freda...I'm feeling sorry for your feet, how are you holding up?
I'm sure I missed some but I need to go shower and fill in the cracks on my face.
Have a good Sunday and visit your loved one today. Or those you don't love but feel guilty if you don't visit them.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #409  
Bobbi

P.S. KarenFla...I have my hubby hooked on dry honey nut cheerio's too. Last night we had a cup of dry Peanut butter cheerio for a snack besides the yukky cake I made. Have you tried the peanut butter cereal?
I was hungry for some old fashion gingerbread cake and whipped cream like my mom used to make. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com, rated 4.5 stars. It called for a whole cup of molasses which I thought sounded like waaaaaaay too much. But since it was rated so high, I put it all in. Yuk! It was terrible. Then I got to thinking about it and I used black strap molasses, not the regular kind.

Quote:
Bobbi...I thanked you last year for the eagles site and this year all my friends thank you, too!. Also tell me why did I buy that nutty cereal you like....OMG I started shoveling them in dry.....need to drink a glass of milk to mix with the cereal.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 02-26-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #410  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Gayle, how exciting that your youngest DD and family will be visiting. I bet you are so excited!

Carol Sue, OMG on your prep. That had to be just horrendous. Since I get to do it again a week from tomorrow for the hysterectomy, I will think of you and that I’m not in nearly as difficult of a boat.

Lynn, I’m glad you have been able to see your friend and that she still has memory of you. I did like reading that her family has added the adult day care to her routine as that gives them relief. Alzheimer’s is such a hideous disease.

Donna, there is so much prep stuff before the surgery because the insurance demands it. Then there’s the fact that 50 is the age that colonoscopies are warranted. Combining the two facts, there are hoops to be jumped. And Miss Blizzie is doing fabulous. There has been no labored breathing for about 5 days. We decided she had a cold and she’s doing fine. I’m making her listen to Jackson Browne’s STAY again. I sing it loudly to her. BelovedKai was a pain to fed this morning and David laughed as I described just how odd she’d been. Kody is acting elderly and he is worrisome. Miss Sasha, the bravest doggie on earth, is doing wonderfully. She is amazing. I look at her and wonder how she survived and being that she did, how she ended up being the sweetest girl. She should be mean, frightened, standoffish, temperamental. Instead, she’s sweet and cuddly. I don’t understand why but I do appreciate her tremendously. Ask about my dogs and I can go on and on and on…

Zoe, you will love being retired. The Vermont consulting will be enough. Before you agree to consult with the group you currently are employed and irritated by, think long and hard. Do you need the money? Do you need the stress? Would you rather relax by a lake with your twinnies? And I very much wish we weren’t on opposite coasts. BTW, about 4 years ago I started my weight loss at 212 pounds. Definitely obese.

KarenMO, if all the house sales go through you are going to be stressed. But I get why you won’t start packing yet. VA loans have a lot of hoops. DH and I have never used ours because FHA was easier and cheaper.

Brenda, welcome. I’m pretty sure I missed welcoming you to the group over the past week.

KarenFL, I’m with you on instant gratification. I go to Home Depot when I’m getting a new appliance and ask what’s in stock. No washer would have me finding any store around that had one I’d like and in stock. I never, ever want to go to a laundry mat again in my life. BTW, it seems a bunch of my family is visiting your state. May parents have been in Panama City the past 4 weeks and I just found out my sister is in Vero. I think they should have invited me and I’d have come to your house and show you what a good houseguest is like since your “friends” of last month were atrocious. And without a doubt, I’m very much in awe of my surgeon. I’m very glad he’s the surgeon assisting my GYN for the hysterectomy. I now have immense trust in him.

Mary, you mentioned you’re weaning yourself off Estroven. Does that mean that HRT makes sleeping difficult???? Since you had the offer on the house in December, how much longer before the bank decides whether the sale will work?

Bobbi, be thankful the too much molasses cake was yucky. Now you won’t eat it.

Not much else in my world. The last pain cycle is beginning and at least knowing will be the last one is kind of nice. I updated my diet blog for the couple people that mentioned I hadn’t done it in a while. Mostly I chatted about the fears of instant menopause and maintaining my weight loss.
Marie
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #411  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

quicky....Marie, you'd love the book The Good Dog by Susan Wilson. It's not a silly querky book but about a disfunctional man and a pit bull who end up together. I couldn't put it down. k3

ps spell check hates disfunctional...must be new English?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #412  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have lost 3 lbs of my 9 lb gain. This is rediculous. If I had not let myself gain that 9 lbs and had still lost the 3 lbs I would be in the 170's which is my current short term goal. Ok, Carol, don't look back, just keep looking forward. Better days are ahead!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #413  
Bobbi

Marie...I googled whether it was safe to feed my wild birds the gingerbread cake, answer was yes. They even had a recipe for a gingerbread house that you sprinkle with bird seeds before you bake it. I have taken the whole cake out and put on the covered bird bath. Now to watch and see if they spit it out too.

Quote:
Bobbi, be thankful the too much molasses cake was yucky. Now you won’t eat it.
A new recipe just came out of the oven, this is a jelly roll gingerbread with whipped cream (fat free cool whip) rolled up in it. I used applesauce instead of the butter so it's lower calorie.
I also wanted to cry with you when you wrote about your little talk with Ms. Blizzard. I'm feeling weepy just thinking about it. We've had to put more than one dog down and my all time favorite dog died when only 5 years old due to blood cancer. Her name was Tiggy Winkle and she was beautiful, now I'm going to cry again. sorry!
Quote:
Now the sadder news – I think my soul doggie, Ms. Blizzard Bear, is starting to fail. For the last 3 days she’s had some labored breathing but not always (like right now she’s breathing normal and seems normal). Last night she had a convulsion or mini-seizure. She’s got that sick doggie smell and is just more hesitant. And I found another lump. (She had a cancerous one removed in December). She and I had a good talk and I told her it was okay if she leaves me because I don’t want her to suffer. And I promised her (even crossing my heart) I will not let her suffer and I won’t have vet intervention to prolong. And I will stop playing Jackson Brown’s STAY for her anymore. So, I could lose my soul dog but I will be ok. She was given a 5 year life expectancy and she’s over 11 years old. I got way more than predicted. Of course, I have my fingers, toes and everything else crossed that it is a faze and she’ll be with me forever and ever. But I’m also not in fantasy land.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 02-26-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #414  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens! Happy Sunday!

Sorry that I haven't been around much lately. Just chalk it up to a combination of busy and poor disposition. Trust me.... you wouldn't have wanted to be a part of my lousy mood We have very cold, windy weather today with a little snow. I am spending the day resting and relaxing after a partying weekend pool tourney (we finished one place out of the money - darn). I am going to give myself a pedicure because I can't stand these nasty feet any longer!

Lyn, so nice of you to spend time with DF. The world would be a better place if we all treated people like you do.

Zoe, repeat after me: "I do not need two part time jobs that may add up to full time or more!" You will have no trouble finding recreational pursuits that will fill your time. I think the "retire early" comment was a complement. That girl just had no idea of your age

Gayle, enjoy the family time. That is wonderful. On thursday I am going to Grand Forks, ND to see my youngest ds and family. I always love the trip.

Bobbi, I haven't started watching the eagles yet. I am scared to because I probably won't stop!

Rosey, I can't wait to hear about your puppy adventures. The moose with the cows must have been cool. In my experience, they generally don't like each other!

Marie, so glad that you have a doc that you trust. I get the colonoscopy now but why do you have to have the prep again before your surgery? I love it when you talk about your dogs..

Karenfl, you do understand the competitive spirit. I have been telling my friends that my goal is to be the little old lady tottering around the table while she beats all the young guys... I hope you get your washer soon.

Mary, are your hotflashes getting better? I am thinking that I was lucky to go through the change early. Although I understand that the heart is somewhat protected by estrogen..

Karenmo, same goes. I hope that it is settled soon. I love china buffets! I ate at our new sushi fusion place this week. (no raw fish for me, just cooked, but it was really good).

Hi Brenda! Nice to have you here.... this is a great group!

Freda, hope your work week is not to hard. How is your back?

Isabella, I suppose you are really busy with the kitchen. I look forward to your pictures.

I am off to deal with a few tasks and then gork for the day... Sorry that I missed some. Later!

Rie

Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #415  
ALASKA

S/C/G: 254/239/195

Height: 5'10

Good Mornin everyone, More snow today like we dont have enough already!

Thanks for all the new welcomes i saw today. this is a fun group. Love all the girl talk.

I live in Girdwood, Alaska,,, you can look up www.alyeskaresort.com,small Hippie town about 40 miles south of anchorage ak.

Yes wild game is great Bobbi

I stayed the same this week~ thought i might after a big loss of 4.5 last week. Gotta do better this week! Cant reach my goal this way
Old 02-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #416  

Hi Everyone,

Just made some blueberry “cheesecake” parfaits. FF cream cheese; FF sour cream; SF Cool Whip; Splenda. Satisfies my “sweet tooth.”

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Lynn...do you find it hard to talk to your friend with Alzheimer's? With my MIL, she remembers everything from 25 years ago but nothing current. It's really hard to keep the conversation going, after about 10 minutes I'm ready to go home.
Do you remember the first day of freedom from work. Looking back, I still remember the wonderful feeling of never punching a time clock again. BLISS!
Hi Bobbi,

I did some reading about dealing with Alzheimer’s folks. Basically, don’t ask any questions – just tell stories. When they talk, just listen & don’t expect it to make sense. Also, don’t correct inaccuracies. For example, my DF will say things like – “I never was able to read much.” She used to read several books every week. At first I would debate these types of statements. Now I just say a lot of “Hmmms.”

My “retirement” was forced. I had to retire to take care of my DH after his stroke. The first two years of retirement was caring for him. The next few years were mourning his death. I did a lot of searching around for things to do. Actually got too busy. In the past year, I have kind of settled into a pattern. I am still busy, but limiting my activities to things I REALLY love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
[COLOR=Purple] Not much else in my world. The last pain cycle is beginning and at least knowing will be the last one is kind of nice. I updated my diet blog for the couple people that mentioned I hadn’t done it in a while. Mostly I chatted about the fears of instant menopause and maintaining my weight loss. Marie
Hi Marie,

Because you mention “instant menopause,” I see that you are getting your ovaries out. When I had my hysterectomy, I kept mine. I am VERY sorry I did. For the past several years, doctors have been monitoring some cysts on one of my ovaries. If I ever need to have surgery to remove, it will be a BIG problem. BC it is so long since my hysterectomy, the ovaries are all entangled with other stuff & doctors have warned me it would be difficult surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmn11 View Post
I have lost 3 lbs of my 9 lb gain. This is rediculous. If I had not let myself gain that 9 lbs and had still lost the 3 lbs I would be in the 170's which is my current short term goal. Ok, Carol, don't look back, just keep looking forward. Better days are ahead!
Hi Carol Sue,

ALWAYS focus on the positive – CONGRATULATIONS on 3 lbs lost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Hello Goldens! Happy Sunday!
Sorry that I haven't been around much lately. Just chalk it up to a combination of busy and poor disposition. Trust me.... you wouldn't have wanted to be a part of my lousy mood
Hi Rie,

You know you are always welcome to grouse here. If not here, where? We all take our turns being grouchy. I am sure you had your reasons. Glad you are feeling better.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 02-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #417  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysheets View Post
Good Mornin everyone, More snow today like we dont have enough already!

Thanks for all the new welcomes i saw today. this is a fun group. Love all the girl talk.

I live in Girdwood, Alaska,,, you can look up www.alyeskaresort.com,small Hippie town about 40 miles south of anchorage ak.

Yes wild game is great Bobbi

I stayed the same this week~ thought i might after a big loss of 4.5 last week. Gotta do better this week! Cant reach my goal this way
Hi Brenda,

Why do you call Girdwood a "hippie town?"

Lynn
Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #418  
ALASKA

S/C/G: 254/239/195

Height: 5'10

Default Hippie town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Hi Brenda,

Why do you call Girdwood a "hippie town?"

Lynn
Lynn,
Girdwood is one of many in Alaska. Old hippies young hippies tree huggers granola's whatever you want to call them. Nature loving,free spirited,open minded,live and let live type of community. Cant say my husband and i fit into the mold of a hippie but we are nature loving,peaceful minded and feel life should be lived without all the stresses so many deal with in society today.simple living i guess you would call it.

Come visit someday if you havent been to Alaska its a very very beautiful piece of america and a there is no place like it. I grew up in Southwest Missouri and love to visit my family there but could never at this point in life live there again. Ive just learned there is so much more out there.And while i can I want to experience all i can.

Hope your day is good and this explains why Girdwood is called a hippie town. Ladysheets

Last edited by ladysheets; 02-26-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #419  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysheets View Post
Lynn,
Girdwood is one of many in Alaska. Old hippies young hippies tree huggers granola's whatever you want to call them. Nature loving,free spirited,open minded,live and let live type of community. Cant say my husband and i fit into the mold of a hippie but we are nature loving,peaceful minded and feel life should be lived without all the stresses so many deal with in society today.simple living i guess you would call it.

Come visit someday if you havent been to Alaska its a very very beautiful piece of america and a there is no place like it. I grew up in Southwest Missouri and love to visit my family there but could never at this point in life live there again. Ive just learned there is so much more out there.And while i can I want to experience all i can.

Hope your day is good and this explains why Girdwood is called a hippie town. Ladysheets
Thank you, Brenda,

It sounds WONDERFUL to me. Are there any months when you get mild weather? I am NOT like my DD & SIL - they LOVE Alaska in the winter with LOTS of snow and ice. I'm a Spring-time kind of gal. Nice, comfortable 70-degree weather.

Lynn
Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #420  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Brenda, ok, so your description of Girdwood reminded me of Northern Exposure TV show. Is that analogy close? The two times I’ve been to Alaska, I’ve been tempted to move there. DH says I wouldn’t survive with SADD and cold. He’s probably right but those summer visits were amazing.

Lynn, that has to be scary having the ovarian cysts and the potential difficult surgery. I hope the cysts decide to shrink on their own. You have enough other medical issues.

Rie, Lynn’s description of the ovaries all entangled is the explanation about why another round of prep. The surgery area is around the intestines and the potential for nicking something is higher with my age, the tubal ligation and then the tummy tuck. Clean it out and the infection risk is decreased.

And I really could go on and on some more about my dogs but I shall refrain.

KarenFL, I found One Good Dog on audible by Susan Wilson so I’m guessing it is the right one. It is very highly rated so I bought it and am downloading it. If I’d had a brain, I should have used my B&N gift card and bought it for the Nook reader I have on my iPad. Then I could have read it during the initial recovery. And THANK YOU for the card. I looked through the envelope and could tell it’s a funny one and I’m saving it for after surgery. But THANKS for thinking of me. I just love you and the GGs.

Bobbi, I read your paragraph to my DH about your gingerbread and waiting for the bird to spit it out. Why, you wonder? Because I was laughing so hard. I hope round two tastes much better.

Carol Sue, only focus on the 3 pound loss. I know it is easy to say “if only” but all that does is batter ourselves. I know I’ve done it. If only I hadn’t let myself regain those 20 pounds. But I did and mostly I enjoyed every morsel. So now that I’m getting rid of it, I’m hopeful I’ll be smarter when I reach my goal again. And if I’m not, I’ll focus on every pound lost if I have to re-lose it again. I figure it’s a lifelong battle.

So do you all remember all the press when the “experts” said that yo-yo dieting is so bad for you and you should never do it? I remember thinking, then by golly I’ll stay fat. I think I used that yo-yo badness for about a year. Then I thought, no way is being fat better than yo-yo dieting so I’m going to try again and I’m going to win. No I yo-yo’ed 20 pounds but I’m still so much better off than no yo-yo-ing. And now those “experts” say what I’d concluded that yo-yo is better than being fat. So I’ve decided I’m a yo-yo. Weight wise and mentally. You ask, why mentally? Because mentally, my emotions are like a yo-yo. I said that to my doctor once and that was the red flag he needed to have me evaluated for bipolar. And I passed that test with flying colors. So yo-yo should be my new name. Wow did I get off on a tangent – all because I wanted Carol Sue to see she wasn’t alone in going up and down.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 02-26-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Closed Thread