3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~February Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/251870-%7E%7Efebruary-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

Bobbolink 01-31-2012 08:17 AM

~~February Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!

Ashenpond 01-31-2012 10:41 PM

Jenye Still practising. It worked - hurrah! :carrot:

Riemontana 01-31-2012 11:52 PM

Oh, Lovelies!

Today was my mom’s birthday so ds, gds and I took her to her favorite Chinese buffet. She loved it but the scale is just rising and rising…. I know, intellectually that it is water weight but it is still discouraging.

I am here late tonight because I don’t know if I will get here tomorrow. Very busy day and pool league will keep me out till late tomorrow.

I was reading all the posts and laughing out loud at times. It is wonderful. Personals:

Rosey, OMGoodness, “bean him in the headlights with a rolling pin”? I was rolling on the floor. The earings are lovely.:rollpin::frypan::rofl:

Bobbi, I am just tickled by the idea of you and the wrecking crew.:cp:

Marie, Yup, use it or lose it by Dec. 31. That’s what I get for procrastinating… Grr.:sorry:

Karenmo, yes, you are there to be with family. I hope Mr Crabbybritches gets to feeling better.

Deelee, was it the ides of march? Clooney is the bomb!:cool:

Isabella, I don’t like splenda and stevia gives me an after taste, too. However, I grew it in the garden this summer and made lovely sweet tea with the leaves. I brought it in and dried it and now I don’t like it. I am going to try to grow some in the house this year.

Beesparkle, congrats on the looser clothes. I always have a hard time realizing that clothes are too big…

Freda, I am convinced that men see different things than we do. Although I have known lots of guys who would spend all day cleaning a car – using toothbrushes on the wheels, etc. Don’t get me started.:devil:

Jenye, I can’t stand heat! Zoe, Donna and I would be having old fashioned “spells” at the idea.:D

Webwoman, I don’t get how the scale can get up so fast! Grrrr..

Well, time to settle my brain down for the night. Later!

Rie

lucindaarrowspark 02-01-2012 06:40 AM

Welcome to February. I am here because i want to stay on track. I am here because I am the vegan who ate her self unhealthy and overweight. I am here because my doctor last year told me I was heading towards diabetes, I had sores on my ankles, heartburn, hemorrhoids, migraines, worsening eyesight, athletes feet, bleeding gums no libido, flatulence fibromyalgia and of course i was depressed.
he told me to cut gluten and sugar completely out of my diet. He told me to go on a 900 calories diet.
I tried it but I did not stick to it for more than 3 weeks and even then I cheated.
But not anymore. Since January 2012 I have stayed on the new eating plan.
I feel so much better. One by one my health issues are diminishing.
You golden Girls have been the only people I discuss this with. You are my safety net.
So thank you for helping me save my life, my marriage and my sanity.

retiredone 02-01-2012 07:51 AM

Lucinda, your post is inspiring.

Wannabehealthy 02-01-2012 08:22 AM

Welcome, February! If we don't get any more snow in Feb than we had in Jan it will be fine with me. This is a leap year, so 29 more days and it will be March! LOL Can you tell I'm anxious for spring? I don't necessarily like the hot hot weather of summer, but spring is nice.

Bobbi - Our old cabinets were only about 15 years old. The boxes were in great shape but the doors were veneer and scratched up and the drawers were cheaply made and falling apart. They took them down intact and we sold them, along with the old counter top and sink. The first guy who called came and got them, and we got so many calls afterwards, DH wished he had more cabinets to sell. The guy said he had recently bought an old apartment building and needed some cabinets before he could rent it out.

WebWoman - It's nice to go down a clothing size. I have a lot of jeans and tops that got too tight so when I lose I don't have to go shopping. In fact, I could probably go down 4 sizes and still have jeans to wear. (I am not one to worry if my jeans are not the latest style.)

Rie - Sorry to hear about your medical reimbursement account. When I was working and had access to such an account, I didn't have many medical problems so I never took advantage of it. It would be so difficult for me to figure out in advance how much my medicals costs were going to be!

My DH is much better at keeping up with the housework than I am. When I met him and he lived alone I was amazed at how nice his house always looked. After he retired and I was still working, he took over most of the laundry and the cleaning. He washes towels, whites, jeans, and I do my own tops. He believes in a hot wash and hot dryer and I don't want my nice clothes washed that way. When I had my heart surgery I wasn't allowed to run the sweeper so he took over and does it still. I have done it a couple times, but we bought a new sweeper and I don't even know how to empty it! LOL He doesn't dust, but that's ok. I can do SOMETHING! LOL Also, when he puts things away he doesn't always put them where they belong and you can't find them the next time you want them. Shortly before Thanksgiving I was at the Goodwill store and I bought a stuffing bowl. It's a ceramic bowl and the lid is a turkey. Very pretty. I have no idea where it is now. Thanksgiving came and went and it was never found. I'm thinking it got put in the attic and he hasn't been up there much since the cold weather came. I hope to find it before next Thanksgiving.

glynne 02-01-2012 09:34 AM

Good morning GG’s,

New month ~ my head wants to make a fresh start, but the rest of me is struggling to make it happen. Tired ~ would gladly dive back in that bed if someone would let me. Rie ~ you mentioned about my transition back to work. Food wise ~ it went ok ~ but I didn’t walk. CK ~ I can identify with your feelings of frustration with yourself (I sometimes get so frustrated but then I know it is my own fault--I am the one who decides what goes in my mouth and when I do or do not exercise. Just need a swift kick to get back on track) Me too. I know the consequences of my bad choices and I stupidly keep doing the wrong things. I don’t know what is wrong with me that I can not seem to do what I know I should for more than a few days. If I could ever stick with it long enough to make some significant progress ~ maybe that would help. I don’t know what the answer is.

I do pretty good with my work routine (food) but after supper in the evening, I sometimes get this overwhelming urge to munch. Maybe if I took my laptop into my bedroom and did my reading there. I’ve gotta keep trying things until I find something that works. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and start posting my food and exercise.

Ok, this is probably silly, but I kept looking outside and thinking I’d rather not walk today ~ it is dreary and drippy out there. I have walked inside the grocery store where I walk in the parking lot when it has been rainy, but wasn’t feeling like doing that today. So, I walked in a circle in my living room while watching an episode of a TV show I had recorded. Meso (my kitty) was on the card table I was walking around and assisted me by taking a slap at me as I went around ~ LOL. So, even though this probably isn’t much, I moved for 15 minutes that I might have otherwise been sitting in a chair. So, my fresh start in the new month is off to a good start.

Carol Sue ~ LOL at DH who can’t remember where the stuff to be put away belongs. I think it is a man thing. Mine can’t either ~ he can locate a thing to use, but can’t remember where to put it back. Sometimes I haven’t been able to find the stuff afterward either.

Lucinda ~ I’m glad that you are feeling better and that your health problems are diminishing. Way to go. Keep up the good work.

Sorry to not be able to get to more personals this am. Will have to catch up later.

Well, gotta get ready for work ~ two days down ~ two to go. Got out 2 hours late last night. Hope I get out on time tonight. It is a good day to be working though ~ it is dreary and dismal outside ~ so, I wouldn’t have to look out the window at the sun and feel bad to be missing it.

Hope you all have a good day.

Take care

Bobbolink 02-01-2012 09:37 AM

:wave:
We plan to put all the intact cabinet doors out on the curb with a free sign on them. We carefully took them down with the 1932 hinges intact for someone to use for basement/laundry room. (stainless steel sink going out on curb also) They are real wood and didn't want to destroy them. The boxes are history, fun smashing them. Yes Rie, you should have been there!
Lucinda...loved what you wrote.
Laying floor today, bye bye.:wave:

ladyinweighting 02-01-2012 10:10 AM

Lynn's Accountability –

Wt. 149

Exercise 60 min - 30 min bike; 30 min treadmill @ 3.2

Breakfast – protein bar

Morning Snack - Lt cheesestick

Lunch - cup of Panera's chicken noodle soup & 1/2 whole grain baguette

Dinner - egg; vitamuffin top

Evening Snack - SF pudding

Cals - 650
=======================

Today is my Book Discussion meeting (at Panera's). We are discussing No Ordinary Time - about FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt. I enjoy these meetings.

Have a great day,

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riemontana (Post 4198148)
Today was my mom’s birthday so ds, gds and I took her to her favorite Chinese buffet. She loved it but the scale is just rising and rising…. I know, intellectually that it is water weight but it is still discouraging.

Hi Rie,

The only thing I can eat at Chinese restaurants and not gain weight Is brown rice and steamed vegetables – no sauce.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucindaarrowspark (Post 4198291)
I am here because I am the vegan who ate herself unhealthy and overweight.

Hi Lucinda,

Are you continuing with a vegan diet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by slmn11 (Post 4198439)
My DH is much better at keeping up with the housework than I am. When I met him and he lived alone I was amazed at how nice his house always looked. After he retired and I was still working, he took over most of the laundry and the cleaning. He washes towels, whites, jeans, and I do my own tops. He believes in a hot wash and hot dryer and I don't want my nice clothes washed that way. When I had my heart surgery I wasn't allowed to run the sweeper so he took over and does it still. I have done it a couple times, but we bought a new sweeper and I don't even know how to empty it! LOL He doesn't dust, but that's ok. I can do SOMETHING! LOL Also, when he puts things away he doesn't always put them where they belong and you can't find them the next time you want them. Shortly before Thanksgiving I was at the Goodwill store and I bought a stuffing bowl. It's a ceramic bowl and the lid is a turkey. Very pretty. I have no idea where it is now. Thanksgiving came and went and it was never found. I'm thinking it got put in the attic and he hasn't been up there much since the cold weather came. I hope to find it before next Thanksgiving.

Hi Freda,

He is DEFINITELY a keeper!

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynne (Post 4198578)
I do pretty good with my work routine (food) but after supper in the evening, I sometimes get this overwhelming urge to munch. Maybe if I took my laptop into my bedroom and did my reading there. I’ve gotta keep trying things until I find something that works. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and start posting my food and exercise.

Hi Gayle,

Posting my food and exercise is helping me. I had a breakdown in Dec & Jan. Since I started posting my food and exercise, I am doing MUCH better.

lucindaarrowspark 02-01-2012 10:37 AM

Lynn, I have been a vegan since 2006. I became a vegan after reading Skinny B*tch.
Initially I did lose weight but then i started reading recipe books by Isa Moskowitz and I learned how to be a fat vegan.
I am a vegan for personal reasons. But I am not willing to push this agenda on my family. I purchase, prepare and cook all kinds of kosher animal based foods for them.

jess1 02-01-2012 12:16 PM

Good Morning, All…

I’ve had to go back to January 27th to read all the posts, so my replies might be dated. What a bunch of gabby geese you all are!

Rough night last night… tossed, turned, dreamed, felt like I’d been through a marathon when I finally woke up this morning. Poor SamCat is asleep now, resting up from my exertions!

Mary – you mentioned your DH has a lot of willpower…. I think we all have a lot of willpower. What we’re lacking is won’tpower! At least, that’s true for me.

Rosey – how’s Steve? Is Sadie still in the doghouse (no pun intended?)? The earrings you made are really pretty… so delicate!

CarolSue – what’s the upshot on your homecare nurse? The prices you mentioned are totally outrageous! If you’re not rich, how are you supposed to live these days???? I can’t believe all that you’ve been through with all your medical problems. I hope you’re doing so much better!

Isabella – I could easily be the person who overeats broccoli! I’ve been known to nuke a huge bag of it and eat the entire amount in one sitting. Is there a problem???

Rie – have you reached the age yet when you get these white “pube” hairs in your eyebrows? They’re terrible! They stick straight up and waggle. I knew that I was a crone, the first time I saw one. Talk about horrifying! I haven’t seen any facial hairs yet, though.

CK – I laughed at your parking lot post. In fairness, though, to whoever it was who thought you might be gay, you didn’t say it was something you’d read; the post was like it actually happened to you! To whomever that was, please… don’t be embarrassed!

GM is doing okay, the same. I saw her yesterday afternoon to help her with her shower and told her about Bobbi’s cure for insomnia. I took her some Cheerios and told her to eat some at 4 a.m. when she regularly awakens. I hope it helps! She sleeps enough, but not at the right time, and her days are so very long. Thanks for asking about her. And I’m doing fine. As long as I do my 2 ˝ minutes every morning without fail, I’m doing pretty well. I’m terrified to let a morning go without my workout (haha, did you all get that?), because I’m terrified I’ll be back to that 8.5-9 on the pain scale.

Gayle – SamCat is so perfect, thanks. I LOVE him!

Lynn – did you say you’d gotten a copy of the Anti-Inflammation Diet book? I tried to read it and discovered it probably would not fit my life at all… what do you think of it?

Bobbi – it sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed the demolition and rebuilding project!

PT/Zoe – have you gone on your consulting gig for this month? I’ve totally lost track of time. One more month down… and are you planning to abandon ship the first or the last of April? So soon…. Are you feeling better?

Marie – hola! How’s SamCat's beloved Kai? And how’s Blizzie? Has she fully recovered from her tumor surgery?

Freda – hola! How’s your back?

Sex? Good grief, I can barely remember it… and the memory is so weird I can’t believe it was something I actually DID…. Never had a UTI, either.

KarenFL – I know you banned us from talking politics, but I have to know how you feel about the primary yesterday? I’ve been avidly following all of this (OMG, what? 8,627 debates already???????)… This is going to be interesting, all for a job which ultimately has NO POWER, just the opportunity to be kicked and blamed for everything possible.

Lots to do today, so I’d better get rolling! Lots of newbies, and welcome to all of you. Anyone I missed, sorry… my eyes are crossing from all the pages of postings! Everyone, have a good Wednesday! :hug:

Marie 02-01-2012 01:28 PM

OK Rosey, grumpy and pointing out what needs cleaning would necessitate more than just occasional flowers in my book. You are a nice woman not to bean him in the head. Very pretty earrings. Of course pink is my favorite color and you made pink earrings.

Isabella, I hate Splenda, Saccharin, and Truvia. I do like Equal. It doesn't give me any aftertaste. I think it's the mouth chemicals and is individual for everyone.

Lynn, the agave at 30 cals per teaspoon is nearly twice the cals of sugar. No wonder it is great. :) Interesting Rie that the fresh stevia tasted good to you. Perhaps I'll grow some and try that.

Deelee, if I didn't buy a Starbucks franchise, I'd still have to buy the drinks if I only bought stock. Then they just get more of my money.

Rie, I feel your pain when the scale rises because of water. Sadly it is discouraging but you (and I) are smart and know it's not fat. Just salute the scale and go on your merry way. BTW, the Ides of March made me mad. I'd just "read" (aka listened) to a book that showed corruption in the white house, and the nonsense with the GOP primaries and then watching that movie. It was too much. I realize the movie accurately depicted real life politics but I was so mad that they couldn't have just one politician not turn dirty. Or aide in this case.

Lucinda, Way To Go! on the month long staying on track. Great job!

Gayle, have you ever looked into Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos. They're easy and were what got me on my exercise kick. You just might like them. I do believe she has a Golden (senior) one as well. I honestly enjoyed them a lot. Heck I'd still like them but they don't give me a good enough workout anymore.

Donna, ok, now I'm a crone since I do have some white eyebrows starting. Eeks!!! And Kai is irritated that she was put in the kennel with Kody yesterday because she has decided in the 2 hours between when DH leaves for work and when I get home, she should shred the plants. When she was going after my old, barely alive basil plants I told her no but didn't care. Then she went after the plant DH got after his father's funeral. It was in a pretty straw basket. Luckily she wanted the basket instead of the plant so the plant is ok. I need to re-pot it but it was the last straw. Pun intended. So yesterday she sulked. I told her SamCat would be disappointed in her but she snorted. But she's eating and healthy. Blizzie is FAB and doing great. So are Kody and Sasha. Sasha snuggled me last night as I tried to go to sleep since I was in a bit of pain. She's me snuggler.

So I just read about the ultrasounds I'm scheduled for on Friday and am thinking icky. I was probably better off thinking it was like the ones for having a baby. Stupid me, I had to google it.
Marie

ladyinweighting 02-01-2012 01:32 PM

It’s me again,

I am determined to keep up with this thread today.

Back from Book Discussion – our next book is Molokai.

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucindaarrowspark (Post 4198703)
Initially I did lose weight but then i started reading recipe books by Isa Moskowitz and I learned how to be a fat vegan.

Hi Lucinda,

Can you follow Moskowitz’s recipes and not get fat? My niece is thinking about going vegan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess1 (Post 4198868)
Isabella – I could easily be the person who overeats broccoli! I’ve been known to nuke a huge bag of it and eat the entire amount in one sitting. Is there a problem???

Lynn – did you say you’d gotten a copy of the Anti-Inflammation Diet book? I tried to read it and discovered it probably would not fit my life at all… what do you think of it?

Hi Donna,
I sauté raisins & almonds & broccoli in a little olive oil. I LOVE this food.

At this point, between diabetes (low carbs); esophageal spasms (MANY no-no foods); high BP (low fat), I could not see myself doing the AI Diet.

MsCinnamonie 02-01-2012 02:25 PM

Howdy,

I joined this last night so I am starting today...this is my first post so hopefully it will work...

I am 50 living in TX not married...no kids...3 cats... do housework and errands for one household...

I am doing my own program so not doing any known diet program now but I used to be on SparksPeople website so I use nutrition tracker thing...

Hope to get to know you 50+ buddies here... :)

Cinnamonie :)

jess1 02-01-2012 02:44 PM

Welcome, Cinnamonie!

Marie - I apologize for not shouting out to all of your pups... but I'm. Old. And. Tired... and can never remember all their names! SamCat frets about them all, but especially his beloved!! It's a given that they're included.

retiredone 02-01-2012 04:59 PM

Jenye, Yup, it worked, LOL.

Rie, I haven't been to a Chinese buffet in years. I suppose it's a good thing as my favourites were always deep fried. Flush that sodium out with plenty of water. Hope you have a successful night at pool.

Carol Sue, I don't like winter, either, but our Spring is often cold and winter-like until almost the middle of May. I'm hoping we'll benefit from global warming. :D My DH does alot of housework, also. But when I was working I always washed my own clothing as he shrunk more than one piece of clothing. And he can not remember where any of the casserole dishes go so when he does dishes or empties the dishwasher he lines everything up on the counter for me to put away. Hope you can find your turkey bowl.

Gayle, I could have stayed in bed this morning but unlike you I was wide awake for a change but by dinner (lunch) time I was nodding off after I ate. I never nap so that was unusual for me. I have walked and run around my house many times, especially if the weather was bad outside. I would run a circle from the kitchen, living room and dining room. I'd set the oven timer and worked up to an hour's jog in the house. So if you're silly so am I, LOL.

Bobbi, when my DS was renovating his first house they had piles of garbage out front. It was mostly real garbage, too but I was amazed when people would drive by, stop and help themselves to stuff I'd never dream of keeping. You'll have no problem getting rid of those cupboard doors. Someone may strip and refinish them.

Lucinda, I gained weight eating vegan. I lost weight to begin with like you and then I learned to fatten up the dishes and make desserts. I couldn't keep up with being vegan so we're vegetarian now.

Donna, now I've met a broccoli over-eater. I can eat a full bag of vegetables, too--French Fries, LOL. I love broccoli, though. I get those horrible white eyebrows now and then and when I try to pluck them I inevitably pull out 3 or 4 good ones before I get the offending white hair. Then I have a bald spot in my brow for about a week.

Marie, don't think about the ultrasounds, they'll be soon history.

Lynn, broccoli with almonds and raisins sounds so good. I'm going to try that next time I have broccoli.

Welcome, MsCinnamonie. So glad you found us. Just join in and start chatting. If you stick with us you'll soon know who we all are. I'm doing my own program, too and use fitday.com occasionally to track my calories.

I'm having a busy week as it's my church's turn at the Goodwill Centre. I always sleep well the week we're on duty as it's non-stop work with clients or sorting clothing or filling food orders for the food bank.

Here's my eats and exercise for the day.

Quote:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with bran, flax and wheat germ, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, brown sugar, skim milk, 1/2 huge tangelo

Dinner: 1/2 grilled cheese sandwich, 1 1/4 cups vegetable soup, lettuce and avocado salad, 1 teaspoon Ranch dressing

Supper: 1 oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookie warm from the oven, fruit salad (1 slice pineapple, 2 strawberries, 1/3 banana) with 1/4 cup ff yogurt and 2 tablespoons applesauce, 1 serving French fries

Exercise
: 12.45 km on exercise bike, 45 minutes

Daylily 02-01-2012 05:27 PM

Good afternoon girls. Not a nice day here with snow,freezing rain and rain. A good day to stay inside. Missed posting yesterday. Had issues with my anti virus and was getting that fixed. The antivirus kept running out and I had to keep putting the cd in to get another one. I finally ran out of the times I could use the cd. I had a cd for 3 pc's and used it all up in just one pc. So I finally had to call. Well, I am not very computer skilled. I can turn it on and off and not much more. First she tried to talk me through it and I just was not getting anywhere. So she had to do a remote fix. Now here I was trying to hold the phone so I could hear her instructions,type in passwords and type on a wireless keyboard(with 1 finger) the wireless does not alway co-operate as it likes to skip or double up. Not good when you are typing in passwords! After an hour waiting to have my call answered and then an other hour with her I was pretty much beat and tired of this computer thing. Shut it down and de-stressed by doing some cross stitch. I will say that the lady who worked through this with me was very patient and kind and I applaud her...she deserved a medal! I am doing better today though and antivirus is working and doing fine. I must get up and tidy up a bit. Dinner dishes are still on the table.
All have a great day and may it bring you joy! ........ Chris

maryea 02-01-2012 05:34 PM

Hi everyone! It's a nice day today ...sun shining no rain, probably in 50s, not sure of temp though. Went to the gym and did only 20 on the bike at 7, and 15 min on treadmill. Stopped at CU for our 2 weeks cash and also bought some lettuce before coming home. Rie, I am doing your lettuce trick and it does help but I ran out last night! :D Also this morning, I was called for a health survey (phone interview) and I will earn $75 for it! I ordered the movie , Gospel Road, from amazon.com. It was made by Johnny Cash and his wife, June many years ago and I always wanted to watch it.

No time for personals right now, maybe later.

Karen3 02-01-2012 06:12 PM

Evening girls...darn it you think I could even begin personals....too much to even get read.....I Haven't got the time tonight so all get together for my group hug!

Brocolli, cauliflower just about any vegie you can steam/nuke/roast and I can about eat a whole head. For a change of pace just a dash of FFCatalina dressing or ICBNBBlite or my FF SF italian dressing. Darn it just ate dinner and I could pig out now.

I played with a new guy today. Has a big ego....told me he was a senior master and has enough points to be a Life master, but missing his colors. I didn't tell him what I was.....and Mr Big Ego never asked. Oh to be a senior master is just to be old....nothing to do with skill.

Got my hair cut at the new place and Dh who never notices told me I look like the girl he married. Ahhhh just when i wanna hit him he gets sweet on me. The cut is actually helping me get my wave/curl back.

Things are brighting ladies....we have blossoms on the peach trees, red bud is in full bloom and oaks/sycamores are full of red buds. Spring down here will work it's way North soon I hope. Strawberry festivals are starting. Local berries are coming in now. Prime time for local tomatoes, too. Even sundown is getting later. Still not dark here. Guess this why we moved down here.hmmmm

I'll be back tomorrow with time to do personals. Lov'ya all k3

Karen31 02-01-2012 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Beautiful day here today. My Aunt and I went to my sisters today for the first day of Bible study with her. we are studying "Esther" and it was very nice this morning. I am looking forward to next week! Then we went to Arby's for lunch-- I just had the Farmhouse salad and that was really good.

It has been a beautiful day today. It is after 5:00pm and still 62 degrees-- I'm not complaning a bit! Just went out and took this picture so I could share. This is in our back yard. I keep thinking this patch I would like to dig up and plant strawberries --- but then the flowers show up and it is so pretty!

Need to go and get supper going.. I'm still full from lunch so maybe I will put a 1/4 DiGorno pizza in for Tim.. He does like that pizza. Take care everyone and I'll try to get back tonight

akrosey49 02-01-2012 06:19 PM

Hi everyone. snowing like crazy out today. and yes sadie is in the dog house.she hates being tied up and didnt do here business outside and i stepped in it in the hall way grrr.im rethinking things where shes concerned. dh had dr and physical therapy apt today,i was going to go with but decided i needed the quiet time more. i sorted my bead stash and looked at old pattern books.also found a magnifier on a small frame with alite that i can work under it and see what im doing :D wonder when i got that? crs lol i have venison cooking in the crock pot with crrotts and onion.smells wonderful and it wasnt on the dh no no list.welcome new ladies and :hug: for all.rosey :wave:

breakfast
coffee

lunch
turkey lunchmeat rollups with 1 slice cheese and sweet banana peppers
iced tea

snack
coffee mocha
1/2 c homemade trail mix

dinner
venison steak
1/4 c carrotts
smgreen salad

ladyinweighting 02-01-2012 06:56 PM

My last post of the day -

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsCinnamonie (Post 4199128)
I am doing my own program so not doing any known diet program now but I used to be on SparksPeople website so I use nutrition tracker thing...
Hope to get to know you 50+ buddies here... :)
Cinnamonie :)

Hi Cinnamonie,

WELCOME! We love to get new members to our Golden Girls forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie (Post 4199000)
Lynn, the agave at 30 cals per teaspoon is nearly twice the cals of sugar. No wonder it is great. :) Interesting Rie that the fresh stevia tasted good to you. Perhaps I'll grow some and try that.
Gayle, have you ever looked into Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds videos. They're easy and were what got me on my exercise kick. You just might like them. I do believe she has a Golden (senior) one as well. I honestly enjoyed them a lot. Heck I'd still like them but they don't give me a good enough workout anymore.
So I just read about the ultrasounds I'm scheduled for on Friday and am thinking icky. I was probably better off thinking it was like the ones for having a baby. Stupid me, I had to google it.

Hi Marie,

I decided the same thing about the Agave. The only time I use it is with my oatmeal – YUMMY!

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredone (Post 4199395)
[B] Rie, I haven't been to a Chinese buffet in years. I suppose it's a good thing as my favourites were always deep fried. Flush that sodium out with plenty of water. Hope you have a successful night at pool.
Lynn, broccoli with almonds and raisins sounds so good. I'm going to try that next time I have broccoli.

Hi Isabella,

My FAVORITE at Chinese restaurants was General Tso’s Chicken & egg roll & fried rice. It would definitely bring on one of my esophageal spasms!

When you make it, do the almonds and raisins first over high temp – till the almonds are brown and the raisins are plump, then add the broccoli and cook until it is a little seared. REALLY Yummy!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daylily (Post 4199422)
Good afternoon girls. Not a nice day here with snow,freezing rain and rain. A good day to stay inside. Missed posting yesterday. Had issues with my anti virus and was getting that fixed. The antivirus kept running out and I had to keep putting the cd in to get another one. I finally ran out of the times I could use the cd. I had a cd for 3 pc's and used it all up in just one pc. So I finally had to call. Well, I am not very computer skilled. I can turn it on and off and not much more. First she tried to talk me through it and I just was not getting anywhere. So she had to do a remote fix. Now here I was trying to hold the phone so I could hear her instructions,type in passwords and type on a wireless keyboard(with 1 finger) the wireless does not alway co-operate as it likes to skip or double up. Not good when you are typing in passwords! After an hour waiting to have my call answered and then an other hour with her I was pretty much beat and tired of this computer thing.

Hi Chris,

I ABSOLUTELY know how you feel. My DD and I just spent an hour and a half trying to enable my “smartphone” to have access to my email account. I would have given up after the first 15 minutes. Luckily for me, my DD was here and took over for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryea (Post 4199426)
Went to the gym and did only 20 on the bike at 7, and 15 min on treadmill.

Hi Mary,

I REALLY need to set the bike tension higher. I do my time on the bike at 0 tension. Does the high tension ever bother your knees?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3 (Post 4199459)
Evening girls...darn it you think I could even begin personals....too much to even get read.....I Haven't got the time tonight so all get together for my group hug!

Hi Karen,

I am trying to keep up with personals today. It is nice to see what is going on with everyone, but takes time to do personals. Luckily, today, I have time. My students have not yet started posting their assignments for me to grade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen31 (Post 4199467)
It has been a beautiful day today. It is after 5:00pm and still 62 degrees-- I'm not complaning a bit! Just went out and took this picture so I could share. This is in our back yard. I keep thinking this patch I would like to dig up and plant strawberries --- but then the flowers show up and it is so pretty!

Hi Karen,

GREAT photo! Thank you for sharing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akrosey49 (Post 4199468)
lunch
turkey lunchmeat rollups with 1 slice cheese and sweet banana peppers

Hi Rosey,

What are sweet banana peppers?

Wannabehealthy 02-01-2012 07:14 PM

Tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment at 8:45. Bright and early. I think things are going well so I don't expect any surprises. My pain is almost gone except when they are packing the wounds. There is less drainage and the nurse said the wounds are getting smaller. 2 inches deep instead of 3.

Donna - I don't know what the daily charge is for the home nurse. On the list of paid claims it didn't give a breakdown, just a total for December of $1900 some odd dollars. This was from Dec 17 to Dec 31. It might be $150 per day because they don't come on the days I have a doctor's appointment so I don't get charged for that. I rounded to $1000 per week. I owe nothing for that, but for January, not only do I have to pay a $1200 deductible, but my insurance changed and after the deductible they only pay 90% which I figure comes out to around $90-$100 per week I will have to pay. I can pay it. I don't like it, but it's not like I can tell them not to come. I need them right now. Someday this will be overwith and forgotten. I will move on to some other problem. I'm really surprised that my insurance has let this go on this long. Maybe once I meet my deductible and they have to start paying they will speak up. The nurse said at this point they are just approving me from one doctor visit to the next, which is 10 days apart. She is an RN. She mentioned that once I hit 60 days of care they might switch me to a wound care nurse. I don't think a wound care nurse would do anything differently that this nurse is doing. She's following the doctor's orders.

RetireDone - I went to bake pies today and my pie pans were not where they belong. I would love it if my DH would leave things on the counter for me to put away. If I leave a pan or baking sheet out because I'm going to use it again in a half hour or so, he will put it away.

Marie - I have 2 Walk Away the Pounds videos and I don't like them. I find them boring....too repititious for me. Now the treadmill and elliptical are also repititious too, but I'm watching TV while I'm on them so the time goes fast.

I also have a white eyebrow here and there. I was plucking them out, but now I just let my bangs grow longer so I don't have to worry about them. LOL

One of my 4 lbs was gone this morning. Bye Bye. Don't hurry back!

akrosey49 02-01-2012 07:49 PM

Hi Lynn a sweet banana pepper is a pickel. like a pepperceni but not hot. (you can get them in subway sandwiches) they are by the dill pickels. i use them for crunch and flavor in my rollups and salads,low calories lol. carol sue congrats on the 4# thats awsome. ttfn rosey :wave:

lucindaarrowspark 02-01-2012 08:43 PM

isabella.. glad to know i wasn't the only chick who gained weight going vegan. most vegan gainers that I've met online are not trying to not be fat. It's like some kind of badge of honor.. as though being a fat vegan makes one a political enigma.
karen 31... my hebrew name is Esther. and i am up on my Biblical knowledge of her. Are you studying the historical heroine from the story about our Purim holiday?
Karen 3.. i have eaten a whole head of cauliflower infact I did that yesterday
i hear playing bridge is addictive, true? i have only played military bridge and for the life of me I can't remember how. .
rosey.. I am sorry your beloved pooch pooped on the floor. yuck.
maryea.. is the Jonny cash movie any good? I learned to love jonny cash b/c my dad listened to him while i was growing up.
chris ...if it wasn't for my kids teaching me I still would be afraid of 'ruining' the computer. Good for you for getting help from a service!
I try to write a weight loss related haiku everyday. If you are at all interested come view my blog.

MsCinnamonie 02-01-2012 09:29 PM

Thanks for the welcome greetings... :)

I am looking forward to be on this journey with you guys... :)

Happy Wed evening to you all... :)

Karen31 02-01-2012 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lucinda, we are studying Esther, The Bible study is by Beth Moore and it is called "It Is Tough Being a Woman" Today was the first session with it. My sister is actually on her 4th week with her church group but thought that it would be fun to do it with just us three. It is going to be very interesting and fun with just us. We went to Arbys for lunch today afterwards and it was just FUN!!

Lynn, I've eaten those banana peppers and they are very good. And sweet. Yummy

Welcome to the Newbies! Gosh our group is really growing. Hope you find us helpful, supportive and entertaining... Life isn't all about weight loss!!

I'll try to get caught up tomorrow... although we have some running to do tomorrow.. But I'll catch up sometime.

maryea 02-02-2012 01:03 AM

Just popped in to tell you about a new-to-me tea I tried tonight! It is one of the Lipton Green Teas and this one has purple acai and blueberry in it. I got some samples in the mail and honestly did not expect to like it but I did very much!

ladyinweighting 02-02-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen31 (Post 4199775)
Lynn, I've eaten those banana peppers and they are very good. And sweet. Yummy.

Hi Karen,

Are they shaped like a banana or do they taste like a banana?

Lynn

ladyinweighting 02-02-2012 09:11 AM

On my way to meet with my DF. We are going to walk in a park near me and then out to lunch.

Have a GREAT day,

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinweighting (Post 4198656)
Lynn's Accountability –

Wt. 148

Exercise - walking in park

Breakfast – protein bar

Lunch - cup of squash soup; 1/2 piece of coffee cake; 1/2 piece cocoanut (SP?) pie.

Dinner - raisin bran; soy milk

Evening snack - prunes

Cals - 1,000

Bobbolink 02-02-2012 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Good Morning, I just wanted to scan the post before I leave this morning. We striped the inlaid flooring yesterday in preparation of laying the new floor. Today we're putting in more of the cabinets, it's at a stand still for now. Home Depot measured wrong and one cabinet doesn't fit. DH just left to give Home Depot a piece of his mind and chew someone's butt. We can work around that too small cabinet, I'll be busy filling the dumpster today. We did not want to rent a dumpster because it was $240.00 bucks. But striping everything out of the kitchen had much more wood and junk than we thought plus all the old flooring. So the dumpster is in DD's driveway and calling my name, gotta go.
Just one more comment to KarenFla. ha, ha, ha, check out the two pictures below. We have a potted PEACH TREE that we bring into the breezeway in the winter. After reading about your leaves sprouting, I went out and checked our tree that never sprouts until March. It's got baby leaves on it!

Riemontana 02-02-2012 11:13 AM

Hello Goldens!

Well, there are certainly a lot of fun posts here.... wayward eyebrows, naughty pets and all... I didn't get home from pool last night until after midnight but I was up and did my weight lifting this morning. :carrot: Anything that I have to say about the scale is not fit for this forum. :o

Bobbi, I am enjoying the description of your renovations. You make it actually seem kinda fun. I am still picturing you, big mallet in hand, smashing things with glee. :D

Lynn, your plans for a walk and lunch with dd sound lovely. It is nice to see you posting.

Mary, my ds is a tea nut and he made that for me last week. Nice...

Karenmo, how nice that you have your own little study group. I believe that we can NEVER spend too much time with family. Bless you. :hug:

Gayle, I also started with Walk away the pounds videos. I also really like Gilad's beginner workout - check amazon. It has a really easy 30 minute aerobic section that is good fun. Baby steps. :carrot:

Hi Cinnnamonie! :welcome: to the Golden Girls.

Rosey, BAD Sadie! She is a lab and needs a little more time to mature... :hug:

Carol, good luck at the dr. Thinking of you and hoping for good news. :^:

Karenfl, your post sounds lovely.... Strawberries, tomatoes, nice weather. Ptuie :p on mr big ego.

Marie, well, at least Kai is feeling well enough to be naughty? Kinda like when kids get over being sick.... :devil: Thinking of you.

Donna, What???! Pube hairs in my eyebrows?!?!:fr: Wow! Of course, with my thinning hair, maybe I will figure out a way to glue it down and make an eyebrow out of it.:lol: IDK, I have learned that a smaller belly brings awareness of certain issues that I could have remained blissfully unaware....:o I'm not sure why I bother - but I don't want to offend myself!

Zoe, I think you are off on your consulting gig today. Safe travels friend.

Isabella, your dh habits for unloading the dishwasher are like my dad. I think he "refuses" to learn where they go. When my mom was sick, it was like an old Abott and Costello routine with him telling me to ask my mother where the dish goes and then he would refuse to put them away or grumble about her system... Mr crabbypants.

I know that I am missing people here... Sorry. Be Back later.

Rie

Marie 02-02-2012 12:21 PM

cinnamonie, welcome to the group. I'm a calorie counter and use LoseIt! app on my iPhone to make the tracking easy.

Donna, LOL at apologizing for not mentioning the rest of the pack. I mentioned them because I felt guilty for only chatting about SamCat's beloved Kai Pixie (the little :devil: ). I'd never expect you to know their names. Never ever.

Isabella, my neck of the woods (high desert - aka high altitude and desert) has winter ending anywhere between March and June. Every year is different. Last year it was the end of June and I was not a happy camper as the GGs can attest. You were on sabbatical last year during my rants. So I can empathize with the wishing for warmer sooner.

Chris, hope your computer problems are resolved.

Mary, enjoy the nice weather. It's pretty here today. Sunny and 40's.

Wow KarenFL, your DH really gave you and your new stylist quite a recommendation. Broccoli -> YUCK!

Lynn, is a teaspoon or agave more potent than a teaspoon of sugar? Because I can see where that would be great on oatmeal. BTW I noticed that having no resistance again my legs when biking HURT me knees. The lack of tension made me fling my legs round and round and the knee didn't track smoothly up and down.

Carol Sue, I had been known to put the WATP video and have my stereo blasting with my faves but mostly I liked Leslie's chatter. And I'm forever in her debt for getting me into exercising. In January, I passed the 6 year anniversary of exercising pretty much daily. I owe WATP for that. And my database that I tracked it and gave myself nice rewards for milestones.

Rie, you know that nasty scale will give you props for your hard work. You're only 21 pounds away from goal. You're smaller so your body needs less fuel. AKA your metabolism isn't as high. So the losing is slow going at this point. But you can (and will) do it. Truly, I can handle the words you'd want to throw at it. :)

The pain is subsiding for this cycle and for that I am happy, happy, happy. Not nearly as bad as last cycle but still very uncomfy. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll have an answer. I figure the tests are tomorrow and then I'll hear in a week. Yucky test should have been done 4 weeks ago but they needed pre-approval from the real caregivers - the insurance company. I hate insurance companies but I'd sure hate to be without it.
Marie

jess1 02-02-2012 12:48 PM

Quick Hola, All...
I'm at work... and the good news is that a major (as in MAJOR) storm is forecasted for tomorrow, which means I might have a 3 day weekend! I'm tired, so that sounds nice. Of course, the WF might mistake a dusting for an accumulation.... I'm thinking a big batch of Wendy's chili would be good! Here's hoping for major....!

Rie and Marie - I always enjoy your posts... newsy and chatty! Marie - I will forever remember the babies' names now... I know how sensitive these wee darlings are! Beloved Kai, Blizzie, Cody, and Sasha... and David, hola!

Oh! People's magazine had a recipe for turkey meatloaf in this last issue... broccoli coleslaw, ground turkey, etc., etc. IT WAS HORRIBLE. I followed the recipe exactly, and ugh..... SamCat nibbled a little, and the outside critters will get the leftovers. It was edible with gobs of catsup. Yuck.

Everyone, have a lovely... Off to grind stones or something.

MsCinnamonie 02-02-2012 12:58 PM

Happy Thurs to you all!

Curious to see how my first day went so I weighed in this morn...my scale landed on 155 mark...yep I lost 3 lbs...all water weight loss... :) Yippeee!!!

Food journal really helps...I have to be sure I am between 500-2300 mg of sodium intake a day so yesterday it was like 700 mg... only thing I was little bit lower was protein... so need to add it up more as time goes on...

I had about 8 hrs of sleep...the older I get the easier for me to fall asleep earlier and harder to stay up later...

I read your posts...very interesting... I never tried agave...I use stevia only as sweetner if needed to... especially when I put things in my plain yogurt including cocoa powder sometimes...

Have a great Thurs afternoon and evening,

Cinnamonie
158/155/128

akrosey49 02-02-2012 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Morning everyone. not much going on here. its a "gorking" kinda day.they say a pictures worth a thousand words so this pics for you lynn:D hope you all have an awsome day rosey :wave:

ladyinweighting 02-02-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akrosey49 (Post 4200779)
Morning everyone. not much going on here. its a "gorking" kinda day.they say a pictures worth a thousand words so this pics for you lynn:D hope you all have an awsome day rosey :wave:

Thank you, Rosie. You would laugh at what I was imagining.

I LOVE sweet pickles so I will try these. We will see whether or not they like me. Since I got this esophogeal spasm problem, I never know what will trigger one until I try it.

I bet these would be good on a turkey sandwich.

Lynn

Karen3 02-02-2012 05:04 PM

Okay Dokey...Got all the errands done, linens washed and bed remade and lemon tree planted. Enough! Time to get GG caught up. too.

Carol Sue...I have been holding my breath all day what's the last word?

Gayle..Where are you? When you don't post often I worry about you kiddo!

Cinnamonie...welcome.

Donna...last night on Next Top Chef the guest judge was PeeWee Herman(wasn't he arrested for nasty stuff he was doing in a movie theater?) Anyway, the 5 chefs made him fabulous lunch dishes and when they left the stage he said they were all missing the prime ingredient "catsup." LOL

Marie....Glad the monthly pain is less for yoursake but hope they can still see what's happening. With my echo I thought I was in the movie "Hunt for Red October" with the sounds.

Bobbie...That looks like one scared peach tree. Add a lamp out there and you'll be picking peaches for Easter.

Karen....gee wish we could grow daff's down here. They and Iliacs say
Spring.

Rosie...OMG they said in todays paper you have had over 340" of SNOW!

Lynn...You are starting to sound like our Lynn. Now take care of our Lynn for us please!

Rie...I watched a little of that 600lb woman last night....none of us will ever have the problems she faced. I couldn't stand watching the whole show. I felt so sad. She had so many problems even after the surgery, from family. spouse and body image...hey GGs we can do this!

Isabella...I am so glad you are back here! We really missed you.

Zoe...How many days? That's how many hours? and don't leave any time on the books!!!!!!

I know i forgot some body...but I am older than Donna our crone diva....Off to start supper. Small pinwheels of flank steak, mozzeralla cheese baked on bed of spinach. I'd do a cauliflower but ate it already....k3

retiredone 02-02-2012 06:02 PM

Chris, I don't know what I'd do half the time with my computer if my two DSs didn't keep me straightened out. Every time they visit they fiddle with it and keep it working good. Of course, they get SOS calls occasionally. LOL

Mary, you sure do well with those surveys and sweepstakes! Oh, and before I forget, I made that Spaghetti Squash Pizza recipe that you posted a week or so ago and it was delicious--a real keeper. DH and a friend who was here for dinner really enjoyed it.

Karen31, Esther is one of my favourite Bible characters. She was so brave and faithful. I wish I had flowers peeping through, but alas it will be May or early June before I see that.

Rosey, your earrings look very pretty. Pink is a favourite colour of mine.

Lynn, I'm going to make the broccoli this weekend. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the instructions.

Carol Sue
, so happy to hear things are starting to heal and the wounds are getting smaller. I'd be a raving maniac if DH put pans away that I was planning on using. My DIL's mother is like that. She wants everything put away immediately. She once threw out a cup of egg whites I was about to use to make meringue. Another time I got up from the breakfast table to get more milk (about 10 feet to the frig) and when I returned my breakfast was cleared off the table. I was gone maybe 20 seconds. Good job with that pound loss.

Lucinda, some people think vegans are gaunt, pale and emaciated. I guess some are but no need of that. There's so much food to eat.

Hi, MsCinnamonie. Glad you are starting to chat a little. :carrot:Great about your loss, even if it's water.

Bobbi, you and Karen31 must be in a warm place this winter. I was just listening to the weather and someone was saying it was an unusually warm winter in many place. We've had a fairly good winter as winters go but nothing like you guys are getting.

Rie, those nasty scales will eventually do what they're supposed to do. You do so well with your program. When DH can't remember where a dish goes I ask him how long he's been living in this house. It's been almost 34 years and I don't change the cupboards around very often. LOL

Marie, we may have a rant together this spring.

Donna, snow days are wonderful!

Karen3, what a nice thing to say. Thank you.

Here are my eats and exercise for the day.
Quote:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup Oatmeal with bran, flax and wheat germ, 1/2 banana, 1 tablespoon chopped dates, 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts,1/2 cup skim milk, brown sugar, 1/2 a huge tangelo

Dinner: Spaghetti squash pizza, 1/4 cup fried potatoes, 1/2 slice sourdough garlic bread, lettuce, avocado salad, 1 teaspoon salad dressing

Supper: 1 boiled egg, small slice ww bread, mixed fruit (1 slice pineapple, 2 strawberries, 1/2 banana) 1/2 cup skim milk

Exercise: 13.21 km on exercise bike, 45 minutes

deelee10 02-02-2012 06:22 PM

Hi GGirls. I went to a new exercise at my health club yesterday – Core yoga and pilates. I have to be careful with yoga. When my body gets too stretched – things start to pop out – but I know my limits there. It was a good class but I have some very sore abs. And I’m tired again – still tired? – was there I time when I wasn’t tired? Anyway, more tired than usual. We are having a very mild winter in Illinois. I know we will pay for it with a nasty March and April.
Marie – Yes, even as a stock holder (very small) I have to buy my drinks but hopefully, other people feel the same as you and the stock will go up in value. I am sorry to read about your pain- I hope the tests aren’t too bad and gives you some answers.
Bobbi – you sure have a lot of energy. And you put it to good use. What’s your secret?
Carole Sue- glad your wounds are getting better. My dh doesn’t put things in right place. I get most annoyed about the plastic container cabinet. I went to great pains to organize it. Now someone has lost all the lids to my favorite Tupperware. It’s annoying. Where do they go? It’s like the missing socks…
You can only pluck the grey eyebrow hairs for so long. I now have mine dyed when I have my hair highlighted. I also have to have a base color because my grey hair is making my light brown hair look like mud.
It stinks having to pay for the medical stuff. But you need what you need.
Chris- I think you did great with the computer stuff. Glad it finally worked out for you. I have so much to learn.
Rosey – your earrings are beautiful!
Karen 31- you play bridge in the big leagues. My dh and I played in college (not together) and started playing again about 6 years ago. We play the hands and defense pretty well. We’re just trying to bring our bidding into the twenty first century. Bridge does attract some competitive and arrogant. To learn some new bidding we have taken some lessons. The people can be so condescending – til we defeat them. We may be new to the Jacoby Two Notrump bid but we know how to play the hands. But it’s taking us a while to get comfortable with the new bidding.
Rie- The Clooney movie that I want to get out to see is the one that is nominated, “Descendants.” He is definitely the bomb. I believe he just turned 50. Some men just get better with age…
Welcome Cinnamonie!
Okay ladies, I have to figure out what we’re having for dinner. See you later.