Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #406  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I got up and started to go out to the gym. Decided the roads were too slippery (we got a little snow last night) and came back home and went back to sleep.

Have a good day,

Lynn
Old 01-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #407  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Quick note to Donna. I'll be back later after my DIL's grandmother's funeral. What Norton said is very true. However, starting with at least Windows XP and on, Microsoft has a built in firewall. If you disabled it, you are at risk. If you left the original install settings alone, they you should be 99% good as long as you do update your computer to the latest Windows updates. I wouldn't put another layer of computer slowing software on your computer if you keep your firewall on and update the OS whenever there is a release. As long as your computer has its ethernet (network) cord or the wireless available and the computer is not shut down, there are risks. Hackers can hack a turned on computer, then can't hack one turned off (at least mostly - I'd explain that if you wouldn't go La, La, La when I get techie).

And Mary, bring that Cuisinart blender back to Costco. They stand behind the products they sell. It should never smell when using and shouldn't drip on the counter. They won't care that the lid is deformed - if Cuisinart made it right it wouldn't have deformed in a dishwasher.
Marie
Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #408  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola, Marie....
Thanks for the answer... and no need to get techie. We're pretty basic, I think. So... am I understanding correctly that even if we're closed out of the browser we're still vulnerable if the computer is turned on? I was always told that it's a bad idea to turn it off every time I finish; is that not true? I will spill blood if I get another horrible virus like the one that leveled the PC!!

Sorry you have to spend your day at a funeral... are you going to support your DIL or did you know the granny, too?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #409  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oboy. Snow. We got some. Still getting some, actually. Looks like @ 8 inches out there so far. Yuckers. Oh well, staying in on a Saturday isn't all that bad, actually. I've gotten a few things done around the house, cut out a pair of pants that I want to sew for myself - I've had the fabric for a while, now, and haven't managed to get around to it. It's a nice, lightweight black wool with sort of stitched stripes - they almost look like yarn - in beige and a toasty brown. The stripes are thin, so it's still primarily black. I have a Burda (German) pattern for baloon-leg pants that have a narrower panel at the bottom of each leg, and I'm making the body of the pants with the stripes running vertically, and the panels at the bottom with the stripes running horizontally. Nice and quirky. You know me....nothing too *normal* suits me very well. Oh, also doing a little reading. Plucked my eyebrows...not extremely, of course, just the stray, wiry hairs that have begun to stick out like the mad professor. Getting old is such an adventure!

Lucinda, do you shred the kale before putting it into the soup, and what's a vitamix?

Cucumber chips in place of crackers!!!! What a fab idea, Rosey!!!! I've been waiting impatiently for my PB2 to get here...I have a nice package of celery ready to wash and cut up into sticks to dip in my PB2. But, maybe I can do some creative munching with cucumbers while I wait!

Carol Sue....Oh, right. The insurance approvals. Despite the fact that we pay through the nose every month of our lives for it, the minute we need it, there are hoops to be jumped through and approvals to be gotten in order to get the care we need. And they don't care if we die, quite frankly, because they will NOT pay if they can find any kind of loophole to avoid it. Gotta love this system we live in...

Bobbi, I have to keep reminding myself that you are a much smaller person than I am when I read your menu posts. I could never, ever manage on as few calories as you do. When I am *eating appropriately* I am taking in @ 1100 - 1200 calories a day.

I hope you're feeling okay, Lynn...you don't sound quite like your old self. That UTI is still hanging on?
Well, do take care....maybe you just need a good rest. Your life seems so busy...

Good grief, K3!!! Like you need neighbors like that! I hope the sheriff's dept. put the fear of God in them. The poor animals...they only know what they're taught...or not taught, you know? I hope all is settled down and poor dh & Dash are recovered from their scare.

Marie, I love breakfast, too! Especially eggs, which I am now, darn it all, allergic to, or intolerant of....I guess it's an intolerance, because I don't break out in hives or have trouble breathing if I eat them, but I do get nauseous and cold-sweaty and dizzy. When I was doing the Atkins diet, all those many years ago, I practically lived on eggs - quiches, omelets, scrambled, egg salad, etc., etc. - and red meat. Now I don't eat either one. Too much of a good thing, maybe?

Rie, that book sounds good...I have a few right now to read, and when I'm about half-way through the last one, I'm going to order "The Art Of Racing In The Rain". It sounds good. Have you read any Pat Conroy's? He's a fabulous writer...wrote "Prince of Tides", "Beach Music", others....most recently "South of Broad" which was fantastic. I gave it to my daughter and she was up until 3:00 this morning reading it. Actually, Bobbi had put together a reading list a while back, and I think maybe a few of Conroy's were on it. Ah, the medical care industry...I swear I'm going to start relying solely on homeopathic medicine and get myself free of the blood sucking insurance companies - and HMO's. Every time I see my doctor - even for just a regular check-up, which I do maybe once every couple of years, I get bills from so many medical groups ON TOP OF what my insurance company pays that it's sheer craziness. I pay each and every one of the danged things, and then, sure enough, a few months later, a few bills come from collection agencies, with amounts on them totally unrelated to any bills I received initially, and of course with no indication of what the bill is for, what service I am being charged for, or when the service may have been provided. I've about had it, quite honestly. It's nothing but a sophisticated shell game, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, Chickadeee, I surely hope that you get to retire some day, too...maybe when you're as old and withered up as me....

Isabella, that may have been a bad day nutritionally speaking, but it sounds downright yummy to me!

CaddyK, you are so much smarter than I am when it comes to returning things you don't like and won't use....my stuff in that category ends up in a closet somewhere. I must have thousands (or at least hundreds) of dollars worth of gadgets and stuff stored in closets because I've used them once and didn't like them.

Mary, I think Marie is right about that blender of yours. Cuisinart stuff isn't cheap, so why should you be stuck with something as defective as that? I have an idea! Send it to CaddyK!!!!! She'll return it and probably come home with two!

Hey, PT....I know from nothing about the best way to manage computers, but I hope you're having a nice, restful Saturday doing whatever you feel like doing!

DeeLee? Do you write books about finance and money management? There's a DeeLee who does little blurbs on the radio when I'm listening on my way home from work....stuff about investing, planning for retirement, etc. Izzat YOU????

Freda? How's the weather up in your neck of the woods? DH says the snow finally stopped coming down here. Maybe I'll get out to the market after all.

Hope everyone is warm and cozy today -

See ya later, 'gators -

Z
Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #410  

S/C/G: 148/148/120

Height: 5"2

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be ok to join your group? I need the support to help me get motivated!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #411  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Welcome Chickhen!! Just pull up a chair and get comfy!! I think we have a pretty good group here and we all look forward to getting to know you!

OK--- Well, I used the Ninja at noon for a fruit/veggie smoothie and Yep! you guess it. Mr. Ninja is cleaned up, boxed up and back out in the trunk of my car waiting for me to take it back!! I guess I just don't like the texture of the veggies so I will be picking up the Magic Bullet and making fruit smoothies and start learning to grill some good veggies. It isn't that I don't like them, it is just that I thought that I would eat more if I could DRINK them.. NOT! So shoot me some good ideas on how to grill veggies and what kind are best. I think the Ninja is a good blender and all but I don't think I would use it enough to warrant the price of it! So Back to the drawing board!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #412  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Ellabella - I am not that deelee - I'll have to google her. But Pat Conroy is one of my favorite authors and Prince of Tides is one of my favorite books. Did you see the movie with Barbara Steisand and Nick Nolte? I loved it. Nick was hmm, perfect? yummy? perfectly yummy? I haven't read the any new ones.
Okay, I'm really going to the gym now.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #413  

S/C/G: 148/148/120

Height: 5"2

thank you karen...I really need to get motivated and be accountable- it is a snowy day outside Philly and tonight I am going over to a neighbors for a small dinner party (there will be wine) I am going to try to limit both my wine and food ...my friend and the host would give Martha Stewart an
anxiety attack. She made her own bread for the party tonight and also is an entertaining whiz so I love going to her dinner parties.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #414  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Welcome Chickhen. Make yourself right at home. Jump in, join in and have a ball with the Golden Girls. Your dinner party sounds really nice. Fill your wine glass up with a clear diet soda after downing the wine. No one will keep asking you to refill.

This is dessert day for me and I feel I did ok with the sweets. You'll see what I had when I post my menu later on tonight.

Well, after all that whining, crying and snotting about DS not coming to visit this weekend, guess who comes to dinner? DS & DIL, that's who. Changed their minds and came. I should have put that foul mood into a bike ride and expended a bit of well needed energy.

Zoe, you asked Lucinda what a vitamix is. You don't mind if I answer, and of course Lucinda you jump right in too as it's your question. A Vitamix is the Queen/King of blenders. It has a 2 HP motor and can drive you to work if the car breaks down. It can blend wood into sawdust if one had a craving to incorporate that into one's diet. I have one and use it almost everyday from making smoothies to cooking sauces from the heat the friction of the blades produces. It crushes ice in seconds and makes coleslaw in a blink. It grates, chops, blends and makes cooking a joy. It has 10 speeds and an overdrive that is even faster. Don't ever put your fingers in when it is blending because there won't be anything left to reattach to your hand. It has a very large container- about a 2 litre jug. It is very expensive but I bought it when I was working because I had wanted one for years. I love, love, love my Vitamix. I didn't get paid for that testimonial.

Mary, sounds like the motor may be going in that Cuisinart blender. Take it back as the Cuisinarts are not cheap even if you did get it on sale. Take a lesson from Karen.

I changed my avatar. On the left side you can just see my exercise bike. I was just getting on when this picture was taken.

I'm gone to make bread (in my Cuisinart mixer) and bake bread. I'll jump on the bike while it is rising and then come back and post my eats and exercise for the day.

Take care everyone and have a good day wherever you are and what ever the weather is like.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #415  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

I've been looking at recipes for grilled and roasted veggies.. Gosh there is a lot to choose from!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #416  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Just read through 5 pages of GG posts. My mind is overflowing with all kinds of info on juicers, blenders, smoothies etc...I think I'll stick with my ancient blender..I think it was my grandmothers!
Snowing all day here...lots for the cape. My DH and I ventured out to the town recycling/dump site and nearly got stuck on the hill outside our house. Oh, Rie..sorry for your icy accident..glad your ok.

Carol Sue - hope everything is ok..concerned about you and your infection.

As for my motivation...not so good. Never made it to the gym today becouse of the snow...going on a 3 week trip next Tuesday and (New orleans, FL and then NC to see our oldest DD). Vacations are just too hard to manage food on.
Well, bye for now

Lyn
Old 01-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #417  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Welcome Chickhen, we do gab a lot about our lives and throw in some dieting tips while we're at it. We like to hear whining, grumbling, DH's/spouses faults, and of course bragging about our kids and grandkids. Jump In!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #418  
Isabella

Well, here's today's damage.
Quote:
Breakfast: Oatmeal (with flax, bran & wheat germ), brown sugar, 2 chopped walnuts, 2 chopped dates, skim milk, 1 clementine

Dinner: 1 small bowl vegetable soup, 1/2 egg salad sandwich, 1/2 tomato sandwich (both on ww bread), small piece cake, 1 small cookie, 1 small piece strawberry pretzel salad/dessert, hot chocolate, fruit cocktail, dollop cream

Supper: bowl vegetable soup, 1 slice ww bread (naked), 1 large slice tomato, 2 cookies

Exercise: 10.51 km on exercise bike, 38 minutes
As you can see today is dessert day. I do that once a week. Tomorrow on track again.

Last edited by retiredone; 01-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #419  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Firstly I am a dog lover. Pitbulls are dogs that require dedicated and involved owners. Most people do not have the time or temperament needed to be a Pitbull owner. The sad fact is that unless your neighbors, KarenFL, train their dogs they will lose custody of them and those dogs will have to be put down.
Lazy Pitbull owners= dangerous dogs.
I am a lazy dog owner myself, hence i have a poodle/yorkie mix. All 5 pounds of him.
Retiredone...I laughed at the description of my vitamix. I use mine for my vegan-protein shakes and for creaming nuts into frothy milky yumminess.

We have snow here in the lower Hudson Valley, New York!!! so my front hallway is now strewn with all the snow gear.

I have been vigilant about my calories, so soon I hope the scale will reward my effort.
Ellabella, I hand shred the kale and cook it in the soup. i only add a small portion of the liquid into the vitamix w/ the cashews to create a cream and then blend back into the soup. Great, now my mouth is watering again.

And why can't I get my posts to change font and color? I want to be fancy too.

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 01-21-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #420  
Isabella

Lucinda, look at the bottom of the post window where it says "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced." Click on "Go Advanced" and you'll find all kinds of goodies to make your post fancy.

Nut milks are yummy...now my mouth is watering.
Closed Thread