3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~January Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/249395-%7E%7Ejanuary-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

Karen3 01-05-2012 06:58 PM

Hello...we had 2 cold days. Got below freezing Tuesday night. But back into 70's until next front next Friday. Hey guys suck it up and keep that stuff up your way!!!!!!

Mt blankety blank blank new car with 11K on it is dead. The sensor that tells ignition that the brake pedal is engaged died and they have to order a part and will be ready by 10:30 tomorrow. Asked if this would be an ongoing problem....last car the sensor that said the passenger air bag was about to explode would crank up every fall. They got to hating me at the agency walking in will all the paperwork. Paid once but not the other 6! times. Owner of dealership called me and yelled at me. I laughed at her....huhoh!

I can't believe how good it feels to be off those drugs. Just feeling so mellow. Picked up my 3 months of pills. One is $300 as a co-pay.

I'll be back to do personals....k3

ladyinweighting 01-05-2012 07:00 PM

Hi Everyone,

I found out that one of the BP meds I was taking was contributing to my esophageal spasms. Cut that out and now my BP is skyrocketing. I saw my Cardiologist today and we came up with a plan. Just left her office and I felt the beginning of a UTI. Some days are just crummy.

I am having problems getting back “on track.” Tomorrow, I will try to do a food journal on this thread. Maybe this will help.

Anyone watching the Project Runway All Stars tonight?

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryea (Post 4156773)
Not sure I mentioned it but yesterday I won an 8 g ipod Touch! I'm excited about this win as my dh loves his current ipod but it isn't working. I won it too..a few years ago, I won two ipods but I rarely listen to music so in time he got both of them. So this will the third one I have won for him. :-)

Hi Mary,

CONGRATULATIONS! What did you do to win?

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynne (Post 4157153)
I did better (food wise) today. The "bad" (good) stuff was gone. There was still a couple things (less tempting stuff) there, but I told myself ~ that I wasn't gonna put off getting back on track one more day

Hi Gayle,

You did MUCH better than I. I used an aggravating health day as an excuse to go to the bakery. Then, I doubled my binge by getting 2 cannoli instead of 1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the slim me (Post 4157600)
Nothing much going on here. It's cold and I'm not getting out any more than necessary. Not feeling great, but not really too sick either. Coming down with that bug that's going around? I'm drinking tons of OJ. Not really great for weight loss but hopefully all that Vit.C will stop what's starting.

Hi Freda,

Last time I had a cold, I drank over a gallon of OJ. Because of the acid, it caused LOTS of pain with my esophageal spasms. Next time, I will dilute with ½ water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbolink (Post 4157691)
Good Morning girls!
I actually hung washed bedding out on the clothes lines to dry yesterday. It's suppose to hit 50 today and plan on two more loads out on the line. (I'm basking in it while I can)

Hi Bobbi,

It was supposed to be warm here today – NOT! Maybe tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynne (Post 4157700)
About a device to hang onto while walking, I thought maybe one of those walkers with a seat on it as I probably will need one someday down the road, but I'm having trouble going that far. So, I think for now I will stick with the shopping cart.

Hi Gayle,

I have two DF’s who have switched from canes to walkers. They were falling with the canes and finally decided that walkers were safer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellabella (Post 4157833)
Whew. Glad to hear that my eating isn’t as gluttonous as it seemed! So, let me get that out of the way:
Yesterday: For breakfast, Fiber One (1 cup), ½ cup of FF milk, 30 blueberries, 5 strawberries, 1 packet of Stevia. Lunch – a 4-oz. container of my home-made pea soup (We were able to freeze about ten containers of it) and two pieces of 60-calorie pita bread. Supper was 3 tacos made with cubed chicken, onions & peppers (stir-fried w/taco seasoning) and topped with FF sour cream, a tablespoon of salsa (each) and a tablespoon of smushed avocado (Dh ate the rest). One WW frozen chocolate-covered raspberry pop (I think they’re around 70 calories). The end. Z

Hi Zoe,

Does not seem like a lot to me. The only way I can eat 1,200/day is with 2 hours of exercise. To stay the same, I need to eat about 1,000/day. To lose, I need less than 1,000. After gaining through the holidays, I am having trouble getting back to losing mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen31 (Post 4157868)
I am trying to stick with my slimfast again-- for some reason that seems to be what works for me. But if I don't see good results in about a month I will be changing things around.

Hi Karen,

Is the Slimfast totally liquid or do they have protein bars? Are you using it for 1 meal/day or all 3? I am thinking of doing something similar with Atkins bars and liquid ¬– maybe for a week or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess1 (Post 4158038)
Quick check-in....
I'm at work, and this is the first day I've ever been upset here. I don't like the feeling!

Hi Donna,

What happened to upset you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredone (Post 4158093)
I'd never lose weight with 1800 calories either. I'm just not active enough I guess.

Hi Isabella,

I think that years of crazy dieting REALLY slowed down my metabolism. Also, I think all the meds I take cause problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riemontana (Post 4158384)
Freda, I am glad that you liked your gift. I must admit that I have the same feelings about household objects. My ex dh kept buying me things like new vacumes, pots and pans, and I couldn't get him to see my point. For his birthday (we were farmers then) I bought him a new, deluxe shovel for irrigating. He got it. :o I actually got him another present, too, but you should have seen his face! Alas...... I am single :D:D
Zoe, the really nice thing about lenscrafter is that you can go anywhere in the country for repairs and service. A couple years ago I bought my youngest dh new glasses at eyemart when he was home. They broke and getting the service/warranty stuff was a NIGHTMARE. My current eyewear is from Sam's club and I love them.

Hi Rie,

My worst gifts (Christmas and Birthday) always come from my sister. This year, I got a box of chocolates (she knows I try to avoid having candy in my house); a GIANT pillow-case type thing that I’m supposed to stuff into my suitcase after I fill it with all my travel clothes to avoid carrying home bedbugs (not sure how I am supposed to keep the bedbugs out when I open it to get out my clothes); and a Vera Bradley pocketbook (I have used a black fanny pack for years as my only pocketbook).
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickadeee55 (Post 4158388)
I have been having a week from ----, so I am still holding on to ' new year' great year ' . Don't want to unload, so lets leave it at that.

Hi Chick,

Sorry you are having a bad week. I will keep my fingers crossed that it will get better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrillerMiller (Post 4158418)
I'm still here and doing very well but classes are keeping me busy as heck. I'm still getting to the gym every other day-unless I can't fit it in. I've lost a couple of pounds (that's all) and one of my students asked me if I'd lost weight so maybe it's better than I thought.

Hi Trish,

What do you teach? I teach online graduate courses to teachers who want to become administrators (Principals or Curriculum Supervisors).

maryea 01-05-2012 07:42 PM

Our old car is still at the garage. It keeps running for them so until they can duplicate the problem they can't fix it. I think I really do have good people for the house in AZ. The maintenance people sent me pictures of the yards so I can see for myself what needs to be done. They even took a picture of the pool which was nice because I could then know for sure the pool guy was telling me the truth when he called which he did soon after. There is lots of sand/dirt on the bottom so he will have to clean that out before the regular servicing begins and even though that costs $35 per half hour (he said it'll take 35-40 min) the regular monthly fee will be prorated so sounds fair to me. And the maintenance people are spraying all the weeds front and back plus trimming the tree and shrubs in the front yard for $210. They also put the trash/recycling containers behind the fence for us and are going to install a new lock on the gate. Since we want to be sure no children or animals get to the pool, I felt this was important. They will go back in two weeks to spray any weeds that come up free of charge. They live really close to our house so that makes it nice. They gave me a discount because the HOA referred us to them. The pool guy said he will send me a signed document plus will send before and after pictures too. So I feel a lot better about all this now.

Joe has started cutting the bathroom tiles and had no problem. He wanted to "experiment" with these two tiles before we bought more since he's never worked with this type material. He's so smart that way, very careful and frugal and I'm so thankful he can do things like this. He was never happy with the work I got done on the main bathroom and I always promised he could do the small bathroom if he wanted.

Karen31 - I posted this before but perhaps you didn't see it. There are sweepstakes all over the web, but here is one of my favorite sites. www. sweepstakesadvantage.com.

bobbi - Well, it isn't really spam if you enter their sweepstakes, but yes you will get a lot of email entering sweeps. I always refuse emails if possible and you sometimes have to uncheck the little box or you'll get it too. That's why many sweepers have an email box just for sweeps. But you have to remember to check it daily for wins. Some you have to respond to within 24 hours. Many don't even notify you though, they just send out the prize esp for small wins. I mostly win small things. But I have won lots of nice prizes. Sometimes I actually prefer the smaller usful wins. I won a years subscription to Netflix, a "years" supply of Poise (lasted me much longer!), many very nice skin care products and several books, a year's zoo admissions, and oh, just way too many things to list here. Last month I won 2 books (I only enter for the kind I like), a $50 AMEX GC, and a largish tube of skin care. My largest win I won in dh's name and it was a trip to Philly. We had a great time!

On the 2012 Mayan prophecies....I'm not a believer in that. God could call me home anytime and I'll be happy to go, but I'm also sure this earth will not end in 2012. This earth will go on at least for 1007 years, at the very least that long.

ETA: Lynn - Just noticed your question about my win. All I did to win was enter, and I might have entered more than once. You have to obey the rules...some allow multiple entries others not. I honestly don't know how many I entered for this one as as I enter so many. And BTW, I swear we have so many things in common...and not so good things :-( I too have the beginnings of another UTI.

Karen31 01-05-2012 08:50 PM

Lynn, I use the powder slimfast ( I like chocolate royale and french vanilla) with fatfree milk. I usually do a chocolate for breakfast and then I add strawberries to the french vanilla to the blender for lunch. Yummy!! I also use the Balance Bars for when I really don't want a shake (or it is too cold to drink one) So I do that for 2 meals. Then I can have a decent meal once a day. Tonight I just had a baked potato with broccoli, light sour cream, and fat free shredded chedder cheese. I had been craving that so it hit the spot. Tomorrow I will probably have a ground beef patty, with fat free american cheese on it and a salad for supper. I kind of like not having to think about what to have for 2 meals. Guess I'm lazy in that respect. But this usually works for me. Along with water. If you go to the slimfast.com you can see their plan and it really isn't just 2 shakes and a meal anymore. It is actually pretty balanced. let me know what you think.

Did my wii after supper so now I need to jump in the shower-- I want to see Gray's Anatomy tonight. I have Tim recording it so I can see the whole thing once I get out of the shower.

Have a good night!

Marie 01-05-2012 09:20 PM

Isabella, bite your tongue. You don’t think Birks are cute? I think they’re adorable. That’s why I have so many. Many different colors in both clogs and sandals. I love them. And I love the lasagna meal. I don’t do meat with pasta. The meal sounds like I should board a plane and beg off your SIL.

Donna, did you contact the corporate headquarters about the bad Costco glasses? I know I would have complained.

Rie, I hope you and your dgs feel better. And I hope you took a picture of your ex’s face when he opened his shovel.

Rosey, -22 is just to darn cold. No way, no how would I want to endure that. And I bet it’s dark out.

Mary, I think it is good that HOA of the AZ house is trying to guide you to people who can oversee the property. And congrats on the ipod. Have you thought of just selling it brand new. Put it in a fund for your ipad?

Gayle, I have this image of you pushing the little cart around the outside rim of the parking lot and some little teen following you to make sure you don’t steal it.

Freda, I will let me friend know tomorrow. She was home from work today from what? A migraine….

Bobbi, enjoy that warm weather. Mr Winter will find Minnesota eventually.

Zoe, if you’re talking about a Kitchen Aid mixer, I definitely would have kept it. Actually I got one for a wedding gift and then the pink ones came out. I had to have it so I gave DD my first one. I LOVE it. I’d never buy boxed pasta after the first time I had fresh pasta. I bought the pasta plates for my mixer when my Ron Popeil pasta maker died. It is faster to make the dough, run it through the plates and cook the pasta than it is to make boxed pasta. The fresh pasta only cooks 2 minutes and it takes the water longer to reach a boil than to make the fresh pasta. Ok, I totally digressed from my original response that I’d never have wanted the sheets. So we all do have our different preferences, don’t we?

KarenMO, could you have quit the Wii because you didn’t want to spend 90 minutes a day on it? I know that would be too much of a time commitment for most people.

Chickadee, my work week is from you know where as well. Technology in 2012 has not functioned. My Windows 7 computer (main workstation) decided to not start. After multiple attempts to fix it, I had to format the HD and rebuild it. Bad, bad, bad computer. I did my work on my Mac laptop while I was fighting with the darn (it would be ok to substitute a different word here) PC.

Trish, I hope you stay well and avoid the bug going around. That’s hard in a school.

Karen, don’t ya just love cars with technology??? I don’t pay attention to my Darth Jeep’s dash lights anymore. It lies and nothing has ever been wrong. I think it’s a scam by car manufacturers to keep the dealers/service centers in business.

Lynn, I hope you feel better soon! I totally agree about the crazy years of dieting messed with the metabolism. If mine weren’t slow, it would be non-existent.

I’m on the couch with a heating pad to my lower right back. Every month for a couple days before TOM, I can barely move with the pain that radiates from what I’d guess is the back side of the ovaries. As I have ovarian cancer in my family, that’s not making me happy. I forgot to mention to my GYN about the monthly pain on the 6 month ovarian check up in Dec. This month is so bad, I almost fell over after I got out of my Jeep. So I made myself at home with the heating pad, 4 advil and two Tylenol. Most of you know I refuse to take any meds except the asthma meds (cold turkey on those didn’t work) so for me to dive into pill bottles is unusual. I even contemplated calling my GYN to ask about it. I started noticing the right side lower back pain about 2 years ago. But when you don’t have it while going to the dr its hard to remember to ask about. This month is by far the worst, though. Last month was 2nd worst. Last night before bed, the pain was shooting down to my ankle. Right now it's only to the knee. Maybe it's lessening. OK, done whining about my owie.
Marie

akrosey49 01-05-2012 10:04 PM

Hi everyone. its warmed up and started to snow. i spent the day gorking. my dh had a dr apt. his shoulder has been bothering him. hr tore something when they moved dd furniture from garage to the house. he's had 4 shoulder surg all ready. so is familiar with the symptoms, he thinks he a young paul bunyan and forgets hes older now and cant do the things he could when he was younger. the dr said it possible he tore his rotatar cuff again, so he will have an mri next week and possible surg. yikes its always something. bobbie i cant eat much yet. but my body had adjusted to the lo calories so my loss is slower however im determined to loose 50 more #'s befor i have a tummy tuck as i want a good result. beleive me when i say i have lots of extra hanging skin. not a pretty sight and makes getting clothes to fit a trial. i wear long shirts to cover the dunlap. i like posting what we eat its very helpful and keeps me accountable. im still thinking about an exercise routine,even got out several tapes and books for chair exercisese etc, my neighbor has a recumbant bike that id like to try and see how it would work for me.also want to get to the pool but that requires the dh to get me there. anyways its a start, hoping your evenings great ((hugs)) rosey :wave:

breakfast
1/2 banana coffee
lunch
1 c tomtoe soup,1 piece turkey lunch meat
snack
1 cup popcorn,coffee mocha
supper
3 0z meatloaf,green beans,sm salad

Riemontana 01-05-2012 11:21 PM

I think Noah is Darcy's gs?

glynne 01-05-2012 11:52 PM

Good evening GG's,

Yippee ~ off tomorrow. Gonna work on a sewing project. Making a cover for a cushion for my niece's little girl to go on the top of her toy box.

Did pretty good today food and exercise wise. Passed up cookies and peanut brittle at work. Walked in the morning and again after work. I almost talked myself out if the evening walk. I was tired and achy, but did it anyway and am glad. I am feeling good about this ~ like maybe I can succeed this time.

I still kind of struggle in the evening, with wanting to munch, but didn't do to awfully bad there either.

Ok, guess I'd better head to bed. Hope you all rest well.

Take care

Wannabehealthy 01-06-2012 08:41 AM

Rie - The reference to the peanuts... This whole thing started because I had diverticulitis and didn't know it. I got a little crampy sometimes, but it went away and I ignored it. When I was eventually told the bad things to eat with diverticulitis, nuts, tomatoes, cucumbers, (the little seeds), rice, seeds and other things that can get stuck in the pockets, I realized the only one of these things I ate on a regular basis was nuts. I kept a small can of mixed nuts on the counter and ate a few every day...mostly for the protein. When I came home from the hospital after the colostomy surgery I gave the can of nuts away to my step-daugher! Never again!

My grandparents ate breakfast, dinner and supper. But dinner, the noon meal was their big meal. My grandfather left after dinner to go to work the afternoon shift in the mill. They continued that schedule all their lives until they died. To them, supper was something small, like just a sandwich or bowl of soup.

Wannabehealthy 01-06-2012 08:44 AM

On the prophesy that the world will end in 2012- My belief is this... the Bible says that no one knows when the end will come, so IMO anyone who says they can predict the end is a false prophet.

Wannabehealthy 01-06-2012 08:53 AM

I have a big Kitchen Aid mixer and just bought a KitchenAid hand mixer because I burrned up my cheap one. Before the Kitchen Aid I had an Oster Kitchen Center that I loved but DH INSISTED that the Kitchen Aid would be better and MADE me get it. I bake a lot and I know what I like. I would love to have my Oster Kitchen Center back. I don't even know if they make them anymore. We still argue about that to this day.

ladyinweighting 01-06-2012 08:54 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am off to visit my DF in South Jersey. Her doctor FINALLY agreed with her family that she actually has Alzheimer’s. She is pretty depressed. Visits with her are getting more and more difficult. Before we leave her house, I need to make sure she has her wallet, her keys, and her credit cards.

Today, we will go to Kohl’s (she loves this store) and then, for coffee. She does NOT like to eat outside of her house, so I will bring my protein bar with me.

Check back this evening,

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryea (Post 4158578)
Lynn - Just noticed your question about my win. All I did to win was enter, and I might have entered more than once. You have to obey the rules...some allow multiple entries others not. I honestly don't know how many I entered for this one as as I enter so many. And BTW, I swear we have so many things in common...and not so good things :-( I too have the beginnings of another UTI.

Hi Mary,

Do you just Google “contest” to find these things? When you sign up for contest, do they try to sell you stuff?

I am keeping my fingers crossed for both of us – woke up feeling OK. Maybe it was just spasms and not an infection. I bought some OTC pills to alleviate the symptoms – took 2 doses last night. They are the kind that make your urine orange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen31 (Post 4158643)
Lynn, I use the powder slimfast ( I like chocolate royale and french vanilla) with fatfree milk. I usually do a chocolate for breakfast and then I add strawberries to the french vanilla to the blender for lunch. Yummy!! I also use the Balance Bars for when I really don't want a shake (or it is too cold to drink one) So I do that for 2 meals. Then I can have a decent meal once a day. Tonight I just had a baked potato with broccoli, light sour cream, and fat free shredded chedder cheese. I had been craving that so it hit the spot. Tomorrow I will probably have a ground beef patty, with fat free american cheese on it and a salad for supper. I kind of like not having to think about what to have for 2 meals. Guess I'm lazy in that respect. But this usually works for me. Along with water. If you go to the slimfast.com you can see their plan and it really isn't just 2 shakes and a meal anymore. It is actually pretty balanced. let me know what you think.

Hi Karen,

I typically use the Nugo protein bars and/or the Atkins drinks. I also use them for breakfast and lunch and then have a meal for supper. I do this for a few days until I have lost 3-5 pounds and then go back to regular low-calorie meals. When I use the protein powder, I use the GNC no-flavor stuff and add vanilla, splenda, flaxseed oil. This drink is more healthy than the bars/Atkins drinks, but also more calories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie (Post 4158671)
I’m on the couch with a heating pad to my lower right back. Every month for a couple days before TOM, I can barely move with the pain that radiates from what I’d guess is the back side of the ovaries. As I have ovarian cancer in my family, that’s not making me happy. I forgot to mention to my GYN about the monthly pain on the 6 month ovarian check up in Dec. This month is so bad, I almost fell over after I got out of my Jeep. So I made myself at home with the heating pad, 4 advil and two Tylenol. Most of you know I refuse to take any meds except the asthma meds (cold turkey on those didn’t work) so for me to dive into pill bottles is unusual. I even contemplated calling my GYN to ask about it. I started noticing the right side lower back pain about 2 years ago. But when you don’t have it while going to the dr its hard to remember to ask about. This month is by far the worst, though. Last month was 2nd worst. Last night before bed, the pain was shooting down to my ankle. Right now it's only to the knee. Maybe it's lessening. OK, done whining about my owie.
Marie

Hi Marie,

I am so sorry to hear about your back pain. Sending my wishes for the pain to leave quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akrosey49 (Post 4158720)
my dh had a dr apt. his shoulder has been bothering him. hr tore something when they moved dd furniture from garage to the house. he's had 4 shoulder surg all ready. so is familiar with the symptoms, he thinks he a young paul bunyan and forgets hes older now and cant do the things he could when he was younger. the dr said it possible he tore his rotatar cuff again, so he will have an mri next week and possible surg.

Hi Rosey,

So sorry to hear about your DH’s shoulder. My SIL had torn rotator cuff and then surgery twice. He also keeps doing heavy lifting at their B&B. Hope your DH feels better soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynne (Post 4158852)
Did pretty good today food and exercise wise. Passed up cookies and peanut brittle at work. Walked in the morning and again after work. I almost talked myself out if the evening walk. I was tired and achy, but did it anyway and am glad. I am feeling good about this ~ like maybe I can succeed this time.

Hi Gayle,
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! Avoiding the sweets AND walking. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobbolink 01-06-2012 09:49 AM

Mornin'
Quote:

Thursday’s Keep me Accountable menu 1,062calories + 38 grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, peanut butter yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds, 3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Vegetable soup

Snack -

Supper- Chicken /Veggie Omelet (egg beaters), 2 slices lite toast, Smuckers SF Blackberry jam.

Night time Snack- Pumpkin and Sunflower seeds.

Red jello with Cherries/blueberry/raspberry fruit in it, topped with sf cool whip and 1/2 serving of dry Fiber One
I still didn't get my potato skins yesterday.:mad: We had leftover venison roast and leftover chicken stir fry to use up. DH had the venison and I made a huge omelet with the chicken stir fry. I just took out some steaks for tonight, will make the potato skins. They'll taste extra good since I've been craving them for 3 days.
Carol...I have the Oster mixer and blender, it's at least 30 years old and runs fantastic. I never got the small stainless steel mixing bowl and now I can't find one that fits the rim on my mixer. Zoe...how did you get by with just a hand mixer all these years? I'm not much of a baker but couldn't get by without my large mixer. One more thing before I hop on out of here. I purchased some walking poles a few years ago, I'll get a picture of them and post when I'm finished. Glynne...have you thought about investing in something like that? I special ordered them according to my height at our local ski shop. Later gators!

lynard21 01-06-2012 10:25 AM

A little bit of snow here this am..but it won't last long. Supposed to be in the high 40s later.
Have been doing the stationary bike and ab exercises at the gym...followed by my 15 min yoga stretches. Feels good to be working out again. Still can't get motivated to keep track of my meals and post, but maybe that will come.

More later..
Lyn

Bobbolink 01-06-2012 10:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
These are called Exerstrider, world's #1 Fitness Walking Poles by Tom Rutlin
1-800-554-0989. I took this info off the poles, maybe you can google it. The handles fit your hand, very comfortable and they have little boot shoes to grip the pavement/sidewalk, etc. I don't remember what I paid for them but they give you lots of benefits besides walking. (working your arm muscles, etc. ) I had to quit walking because of our country gravel roads, heel spurs and plantar fasciitis flare-ups.