Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

Weird. No trouble getting in from work computer - IE browser. Oh well, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I still feel weak and peckish but I am recovering. I got some stuff done here at work and I am goin to head for home after a short day. I still have no appetite but the scale is not reflecting my lack of eating. This darn body probably thinks that there is a famine happening and is conserving energy
I can't speak very well due to the swelling and an ill-fitting partial. All in all, as they say.... I'd rather be in Vegas

Isabella, I love it that you say "breakfast, dinner, supper" I thought that was just farm people talk. We never said "lunch" Not much food for the day but I know that you don't feel well.

Marie, I loved the story about the bagel thief. See you have been offering her lean turkey every day but she really wanted CARBS! I can relate

Lynn, I hope your class goes well without some of the technical problems that you had last time. Don't worry about personals, just check in here when you can.

Carol, I hope your healing is going better. Peanuts? I didn't understand that reference?

Hi Freda, sorry that you had a rough new years at work. How's your back doing?

Zoe, I am getting really jealous about your impending freedom! I have always loved my work but I could stay home.... Yes, I know that you have earned it and I haven't yet.... Still, there is Marie's lottery theory to hold on to! I loved the story of you and dd installing the faucet! Go Girls

Bobbi, I swear, you sure don't eat much. But I know that you are just a little bit of a thing and need to really restrict calories to lose. Good job.

Gayle, I love that poem. My mom gave it to me on a plaque for my kitchen years ago. I always treasured it. See, she has never appreciated my lack of housekeeping (to her standards). I always thought that she picked it as a nod to my different values...

Donna, see what you have started? All the GG's are stretching away! And I don't even want to hear IRS, Taxes or (shudder) any of that stuff. I hate, fear and loathe them..... They scare me!

Hi to the Karens and Nancy, and anyone else that I missed. Have a great night!

Rie

Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #62  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Lynn,

Lothrop/Lathrop - Lathrop rd is right near here...I bet I'll find a few of those.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #63  

Height: 5'1"

Just sent the Grands home and popped in for a min. Rie, I hope you're feeling better soon. Marie, you give the injections at home with a carpajet. It's like a big pen, you never see the needle. Just press it down and you can hardly feel it. It's SQ, like a insulin needle. I used to keep one at home all the time. That was years ago. I'm thinking they are easier now. Where does your friend get the shots?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #64  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Not meaning to be negative ~ just sharing here because I know you all understand. Maybe the way I state things is just my funky sense of humor more than being negative. Anyway ~ day 2 of being stupid. Those darn chocolates and baklava were not gone this morning ~ what is wrong with those people ~ why could they not help me out and eat that stuff. I keep saying tomorrow is another day to try to get it right. I wonder if there is a limit to how many “do-overs” we get ~ LOL.

I was better the last half of the day. Ate my apple on the way home, didn’t give in and stop and buy any goodies (though I wanted to). Baby steps I guess. I also scouted out the parking lots of the “Y” and the grocery store as possible walking places. Even at night they are well lit. If I try to wait until I get home ~ well, once I get home, I just don’t want to do it.

I am with Rie ~ a little bit jealous of those of you who are about to or are already retired. I don’t begurdge you that, I just wish my turn wasn’t so far off. Then (now this is probably gonna sound silly, forgive me, but I feel safe sharing my kooky thoughts with you all) there is that end of the world prediction for 12-21-12 in the back of my mind. I will be majorly miffed (can’t use stronger words here) if that comes true and I never get my turn for retirement. DH just rolls his eyes, but darn it ~ he is getting his turn. I saw a cartoon about it posted on FB ~ I will attach at the end. I find some comfort in thinking of it in that way.

Along those same lines, I was kind of disappointed in the Jan. 1st reading on my little Daily Bread devotional. It was talking about being “ready” should 2012 be the year that the Lord returns for us. I should be excited and happy about that ~ we are supposed to be in a wonderful place (for those whose belief this is). There is supposed to be no more pain and suffering. I could like that, but again ~ I don’t want to get cheated out of my retirement ~ LOL. Who knows ~ maybe if that happens, my retirement will come sooner than it is supposed to.

Guess I should do the getting ready for work stuff, then maybe have a little “gorking” time left over. Thank you all for listening to my silly thoughts. Hope you all have a nice evening.

Take care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mayan calendar.jpg (27.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynard21 View Post
Lynn,

Lothrop/Lathrop - Lathrop rd is right near here...I bet I'll find a few of those.
Hi Lyn,

Here are my Lothrop/Lathrop ancestors who died in Barnstable -

Bethia (Lothrop) Hinckley died 1694

Thomas Lothrop died 1697

Melatiah Lothrop died 1712

Thomas Lothrop died 1707

Hannah (Lothrop) Ewer died 1715

Mary (Lothrop) Mixer died 1735

NOTE: their last name is sometimes spelled with an "O" and sometimes with an "A." I use the "O" in my records.

Lynn
Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #66  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
Tuesday’s Keep me Accountable menu ?calories + ? grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, almond yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds, dried cranberries

Lunch- skipped lunch because of glutton appetite for Danish Aebleskiver supper tonight

Snack -

Supper- Many, many Aebleskivers with powdered sugar, some sugar free syrup and some apple butter, turkey bacon

Night time Snack- Peanut Butter pudding with sf cool whip
Good Morning girls!
Glynne...don't feel bad, I don't want the world to end until I see my grandsons married with children.
I was hungry for potato skins and the recipe below is from Hungry Girl. The calories won't be as high if you use turkey bacon and fat free sour cream. I was planning on making these tonight but DH just said he would like a stir fry tonight, will save this supper for tomorrow night with some filet's. I always appreciate when DH comes up with menus, sometimes he makes supper. It seems to taste better when someone else cooks.
I ordered some new glasses yesterday after going to the eye doc again. He said my unfocused eyes didn't come from too much quilting, it was probably going to happen anyway. I only wear frameless glasses because of the light weight of them. The eye doc's glasses were so expensive, starts at $299.00 just for the bows/no lens. Shopko I could get the lens and 1/2 frame glasses for $450.00 total and they weren't frameless. I hated them. Walmart had the best selection and I saved about $150.00 plus got what I wanted. Laundry is calling me and the sun is shinning. Gotta love days like this.

Potato Skins
Serving Size: 1/4th of recipe (2 loaded potato skins)
Calories: 202
4 medium-small baking potatoes (8 - 9 oz. each)
3 slices center-cut bacon or turkey bacon
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup reduced-fat/light sour cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
Pierce potatoes several times with a fork, and place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave
for 5 minutes, until potatoes begin to soften.
Carefully turn potatoes over, and microwave for 5 - 8 minutes, until soft on all sides.
Once cool enough to handle, cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to gently scoop
out the bulk of the inside flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch inside the skin. (Save the scooped
potato flesh for another use.) Place the empty potato shells on the baking sheet.
Bake in the oven until crispy, 12 - 15 minutes. Then remove from the oven, but leave the
oven on.
Meanwhile, prepare bacon in a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray or on a microwave-safe
plate in the microwave. (Refer to package instructions for exact cook time and
temperature.) Once cool enough to handle, chop or crumble and set aside.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #67  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Omgosh, I SWEAR I could’ve fallen asleep driving in to work today! The sun was really, really bright, and I had my prescription sunglasses on, but they were just making me sleepy and making my eyes want to shut. I drive east, of course, to get to work, so the sun is ahead of me rising in the morning, and ahead of me, too, setting as I drive home at night. Kinda stinx.

Dh’s car was still at dd3’s house when I got home yesterday, so I stopped, and he was doing the final work on the louvered doors, and then had to attach the whole big, bulky thing to the wall, AND then put door handles on….anyway, we ended up staying there until after 8:00 last night, went home and ate, and was in bed not too much after that. STILL tired this morning, though. I’m just not much good when I have to be doing things after work like that. I really need, after my day at work and the commute and all, to just spend a quiet evening at home, eat my supper on time, and get to bed at a decent hour. Old, eh?

Okay, so, I want to post my food intake, but my gosh, you guys eat so little! If I ate like that, I’d definitely end up a twig. I can’t get by on so little food, though. I’ll post my stuff, but I’m warning you – it’s going to sound downright binge-worthy next to what you (Bobbi & Isabella, this means YOU!) are eating. I’m not even going to start counting calories for another couple of weeks – right now, I just want to get back to a healthy way of eating, and cutting out the junk. So:

Yesterday’s food = breakfast: 1 cup of (original) Fiber One cereal, ½ cup of FF milk, 30 blueberries, 5 strawberries cut up, 1 packet of Stevia. For lunch: 1 Quorn faux chicken patty on a 60-calorie pita with lite Miracle Whip, shredded (raw) spinach, and a whole, sliced plum tomato. For supper, one of my homemade bean patties smushed across (2) pieces of pita with shredded lettuce, sliced plum tomato, mashed avocado, and lite Miracle Whip. No cravings for anything else, and felt pretty satisfied. (Lois? A QUARTER cup of homemade guacamole for a meal? Yikes!) Well, anyway, I’ll start counting calories in a few weeks, but until then, I’ll be eating more or less like this. I also did my 8 minute qi gong exercises, which I enjoyed. I’m looking forward to the actual classes.

Gayle, honey, don’t be jealous of us (almost) retirees – just remember, you have to be pretty darned OLD to qualify….

Rie, I really would love to win the lottery! (Does that require me to buy a ticket? I HATE doing that!)
Girl, don’t wish away your years! I wouldn’t mind working longer if I were ten or 15 years younger! Once you hit your sixties is plenty early enough to start thinking about getting out of the rat race. You, my dear, would be bored to tears!

Lyn, I like your new avatar pic. Very attractive. We don’t get older, we just get better….sort of “ripen”, correct? (If so, I think I’ve reached the squishy stage of ripe).

Lynn, did we establish that there were some Hicks in your family tree? In Plymouth? Mayflower descendants? Seems to me that once upon a time, we found a few in common?

Marie, yep. That initial commute back to work after a pleasant hiatus is always less than wonderful. Of course, I’m liking the commutes less and less with each passing day. I used to actually enjoy them….thought of them as “me” time. Not any more. Now, I want my “me” time to be stress free. Driving the Massachusetts highways is the opposite of stress free. Ack.

Oh, and Carol Sue? I’m with Marie on being puzzled about the peanuts reference? What did eating peanuts have to do with your surgery?

PT are you buried in snow? (I do appreciate that you seem to be getting our share as well as your own!)
Okay, hope everyone has a peachy day….all of the wonderful GGs wherever you may be!

Z
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Lynn, did we establish that there were some Hicks in your family tree? In Plymouth? Mayflower descendants? Seems to me that once upon a time, we found a few in common? Z
Kind of. Robert Hicks (1583 - 1647) was the 2nd great grandfather of the wife of the father-in-law of my 6th great grand uncle

Robert immigrated to Plymouth from England in 1621. He had LOTS of kids.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #69  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Hola!
No, PT/Zoe, no more snow. In fact, it's supposed to be around 60 today. I still have front and back yards covered, though; for some reason, it doesn't melt at my house!

NOTHING TO REPORT. I am Pollyanna Pallid! Sounds like you're all hanging in there and resolutioning away!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #70  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Rie, I think it was the Quadrantrids meteor shower causing our scales to be stupid. I know I'm not choosing the healthiest foods, but I am staying in my calories. So having that evil scale tell me I gained really irritates me, regardless what time of the month it is. So I blame your famine mode on the meteor showers. All will be right soon.

Freda, my friend is getting shots at the dr. in the butt. She says it hurts.

Gayle, I think baklava has a special calling no matter how strong willed one is. Remember my Kai Pixie wouldn't eat anything one morning and I tried, dog biscuit, whipped cream, turkey then got a piece of my DH's baklava. That got through her low blood sugar haze. Hence, it wasn't your fault.

Bobbi, my parents have loved the glasses they've gotten at Costco. I hear they're a good deal with high end frames.

Yep Zoe, I drive east to work and west home. It's always delightful to stare into the sun. My favorite is after I get through the month of straight on sun, they change the ^*#(%) clocks and I get to start all over. And if wanting quiet time at home after work and not to be doing anything else, then I'm in the old group too. Heck I didn't want to leave my house for any reason during the 10 days off. I like the quiet.

Like Donna, nothing new to report. Work is work and we're halfway through the work week. To me, that is good. I did clean my office a little this morning. It doesn't "look" like I'm drowning anymore.
Marie
Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #71  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Marie, I was doing a little research on the Birks and they sound like they'll be comfortable if not ugly. I like the thought of walking on nice soft cork. My they are not very attractive but my feet are beyond that.

Rie, LOL, on the breakfast, dinner and supper. Most Newfoundlanders my age use these terms. It's very British Isles as that's where most of our ancestors hailed from. When I was a little girl the term supper was used interchangeably with the term "tea." We would have our tea, meaning supper. I actually do have a real dinner meal at noonish and have a lighter meal at supper. I've been doing that since I retired. Hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Gayle, I wouldn't worry about 2012 being the end of the world. Wouldn't you're arm get mighty tired pounding on that rock surface just to make a calendar? I figure some guy just got tired and figured someone else would finish the job.

Bobbi, Potato Skins I'd just use bacon bits to replace the bacon as I'm vegetarian. Now I want potato skins.

Zoe, I don't usually eat so light. My stomach was still not back to feeling well yesterday. You'll see I eat more as I post. Sounds like you had a good vegetarian day yesterday . We can't get Quorn here and I'd love to try it.

Hello Freda, Lyn, Lynn & Donna.

Today we woke up to a real old fashioned winter snowstorm. DH had a snow day off with the school bus. It's not too cold so the snow is really sticky. It's supposed to turn to ice pellets later on. We're going out to supper and I hope we can get home without too much trouble. We just kind of lolled around in bed as no one had to get up early this morning. We ate breakfast at 10 am and planned on eating dinner about 2:30 and skip supper (just a bit of fruit). Just as I was getting dinner on the plates my sister in law phoned and invited us to supper. I cut dinner plans in half so we wouldn't be too full to eat the lasagna she is making. I also took all the Christmas decorations down from the church. DH came over and helped. I'm an awful person to work for. I want everything done right. DH is the type of person who takes down a string of lights and dumps them in a box. I want them taken down, wound up, tied up so they won't come undone, put in a box and have it labeled. He just wants it all done right away and I want it done so I can find everything the next year. I bit my tongue a few times as it was good of him to help. LOL

Anyhoo, must go get ready to go for supper. Will post my meals when I get home. Have a good day.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #72  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola! My experience with Costco glasses was horrible. I got two pairs from them, and they're both bad. I have one teeny little spot where I actually see; the rest is blur. I took them back 1/2 a dozen times, with no satisfaction. They would not regrind them, since they said they'd done it properly. I will NOT go back. They were rated #1 in the "fast food" glasses shops, like Lenscrafters, etc. I've never had a problem with Lenscrafters...
Old 01-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

Working at home today. I will spare you the details. On the plus side, I have been VERY productive in my own little home office. Considering that I spent part of the morning typing with my sick little dgs on my lap, I think I did really well. When he is sick, he decides very clearly whether he wants his dad or me. Last night it was dad, this morning it was me. I just didn't have the heart to turn him away. There is a really nasty flu bug traveling through this area - I have 3 employees with pneumonia , one has been hospitalized. They are telling me that it is not viral pneumonia - just a consequence of this but. Everyone here is talking about our weird and warm weather.... maybe a good cold snap would bring us Montanans back into order.

Isabella. Too funny on the meal names. My family are german farm folk. another note: "lunch" refers to a snack, such as "lunch" is served at about 4pm in the fields during harvest time to hungry folks who wouldn't finish the day until 8pm or later. "bed lunch" is a bedtime snack, etc. I still eat my main meal of the day in the evening but that is more a function of my ds cooking for the household and my own appetite that is satisfied with small meals early in the day. I am missing my lunchtime salads.

Zoe, I think your menu sounds really good and a small amount of food. When I am well, I eat larger amounts of food than you are consuming. I am fond of huge salads and green veggies until I am stuffed. Most of my weight was lost on about 1800 cals per day. Lately, I have dropped that to try and recover from a rather long stall.

Donna, AKA Pollyanna Pallid Don't every leave us darlin.... you crack me up. Is your hip still feeling good?

Bobbi, that potato skin recipe sounds great. My ds makes them all the time. We often omit the bacon. He fills them with any chopped meat that we have on hand, chopped mushrooms, other veggies, tops with cheese and cooks. Oh yum. He calls them "stuffed skins". We also use large mushrooms such as portabella's and stuff them too. Very low calorie/carb and lots of yum.

Lynn, that is great that you know all about your ancestors. My relatives were peasants who were given to the tsarina Caterina the Great in Russia. They didn't come to the US until the early 1900's. My mom can trace her family in Norway due to a cousin's efforts, but again, only since the very late 1890's. It is interesting.

Lyn, any more walks on the beach? I like your new picture.

Gayle, I think baklava is an unfair treat. Of course, as I am allergic to walnuts, I either leave it alone or go to the ER. You will get there. Hang in there.

Freda, how is your week going? Do you ever struggle with food issues with the little dgk's around? My ds is kind to me and seldom keeps treats here that will overly tempt me. Sometimes I feel guilty but dgs likes to have fruit and other healthy things.

Hello to Carol and the Karens 2 LOL. I am sorry for anyone else I am missing.

Rie
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Goldens! It has been a really nice day here today... even though I have been doing housework!! I did sit out on the patio on my swing with Ginger and Sissy for a bit. Then went to the store to pick up a few things. Haven't done my wii workout yet but will after we have supper. I still don't know what I want for supper!!

Sure hope that everyone has had a great start to this new year. And Gayle, I don't worry about when "they" predict the end of the world because the Bible says He will come "like a thief in the night" and no one knows when! So just enjoy each day and don't worry!

Zoe, I can rmember having to drive into the sun--- not fun at all. Be careful driving. And just think, only a few more months and you won't have to worry about that anymore.

Donna, it looks like you have been getting some decent weather out your way too. I like it!!

Has anyone else noticed that since we installed Fireox that IE is working good now??? I haven't had any trouble with it for the past 3 days now!! Hmmm!

Well,Hello to everyone that I have missed. Glad to hear that the furbabies are getting better and sorry to hear about the gks that are sick. I hope this bug passes soon... Tim and I still have a nasty cough from the bug that came through here a month ago. But other than that we are doing pretty good.

Better go figure something out for supper. Wish I was organized like some of you and could get into the meal planning....for some reason I can never stick with it.

Have a great night
Old 01-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #75  

Hi everyone. a lazy and freezing day here its -22 outside brrrr. im reclined with gizmo burrowed under my arm tv on Law and Order,hot tea and my puter,dh is napping a good way to spend a cold day . nothing planned. ive been thinking of an exercise program that i should be doing but just in the thinking stage hoping your days going well (((HUGS)) rosey

breakfast
greek yogurt, 1/4 c granola coffee

lunch
salad,1/2 banana

snack
coffeemocha.grapes.small slice cheese

supper
1 cup chix stew( i picked out extra meat,and tossed the potatoes back in pot)
Closed Thread