Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #361  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

Some of you know, I had a slow motion, ice skidding wreck yesterday. No one was hurt and it will be ok. Then, last night another car almost ran me off the road and I was forced to divert and drive to the next exit to reach my home. A few miles of heart pounding..... It is still snowing here and the temperatures are -9 plus the wind chill. Well, I have been wishing for snow..... that's what I have

Due to the weather, my expected visitors from Wyoming cancelled. So, I decided to stay home today. I plan to play computer games, watch sappy chick flicks and hope for a good, healing cry fest. I really need an attitude adjustment.

Karenfl, grumble away darlin, I am with you! Sorry you had a bad bridge day. Look at it this way.... No snow in florida! And I am with you.... No Ravens! GRRRRR.

Karen31, for me, the biggest issue with juicers is that I thought one gets very little for the money when you consider the amount of produce it requires. (Never considered the solutions of using the pulp). I am proud of you for returning it. I would be likely to have it in the garage with the rest of the junk.

Gayle, have a good day at work. Hang in there. Remember: progress, not perfection.

Lynn, I am glad that you have a pretty good crop of students. That makes it easier.

Bobbi, I am glad that your scale is showing signs of moving. It gives me hope. As I am looking for attitude adjustments today.... I will adopt the idea of the scale "hovering" instead of being stuck. Much better. I know that I can't eat less so, like you, I will up the fiber and the water and hope for the best.

Freda, at least the ENT was looking out for dgs. Too many of them focus on the health of their practices, not the best interests of their patients. Your ticker will be subdued, I have no doubt.

Rosey, sharing the blankies and fuzzy socks with you today. Now that I am not going anywhere, looking outside is pretty and nice. My mud porch is so cold that my snow footprints from last night have not melted. I hope I don't have to heat it.... Good job with dh. Remember..... he brings you flowers...

Lucinda, wow, you are really on track! Good for you!

CarolSue, hoping for a good report at the doctor. Keep us informed!

Dee, wow, great job on the workouts.

Chick, juicing is a good way to get your dh to "eat" his veggies... I hope you are having a good week.

Mary, it sounds like you got the front edge of this storm. Is your snow all melted? Any news on the house?

Marie, I am glad that you made the plan to reschedule the test. Happy that you won't be going over the mountain in the snow and that the test will be more likely to show results then. Lots of exercise.... I am working my way back and plan to be joining you in full soon.

Donna, your posts are always so welcome and so funny. Finding you here is like opening the door to the coffee shop and finding the friend who always makes you feel better. Thanks!

Sorry for missing anyone, I will check back later.

Rie

Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #362  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

My juicer is on a shelf, too. We used it for a few weeks and really enjoyed the juice but as I said there was just so much produce to buy and I couldn't throw out the pulp so we had an over abundance of pulp in the freezer waiting to be used. I will keep the juicer because I'm sure I'll want to do more juicing some day when I get in that mood again. The juicer was actually given to me. A dear friend died and a couple of months later her husband gave me her juicer. It was brand new, still in the box. The fresh juice is supposed to be very good for you as the nutrients are supposedly absorbed very quickly into the blood. We never used the juice as a meal replacement. We'd have a glass mid afternoon as a pick-me-up.

My driveway looks like a skating rink. The temperature went up overnight and snow melted and water ran. By this morning the temperature fell again and now it's all frozen. I have to go out later on this evening and I fear for my life!!! My friend's mother always had a small jam jar filled with salt in her purse during the winter. Whenever she got out of her car and faced ice she took out the salt jar and sprinkled it in front of her as she walked. I may have to go that route tonight.

Bobbi, This is a lentil soup I've tried and liked. I found it at thesisterscafe.com. I don't know the calories for a serving but I'm sure you can cut some of the calories by cutting out the oil and the pasta. You can steam fry the vegetables or use a pan spray. The little bit of Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top really adds to the flavour.

Quote:
Tuscan Lentil Soup
1 pound small French green lentils, rinsed
7 cups vegetable broth (I use veggie chicken broth)
1 bay leaf
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 small cup pasta (try whole wheat)
8 oz spinach, chopped
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
salt
freshly ground black pepper
fresh Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, combine the lentils, broth and bay leaf. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, for approximately 45 minutes, or until lentils are just tender.

In a small skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic, onion, carrot and celery. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, but not browned. Set aside.

Bring a med saucepan of water to boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 5 minutes, or until just al dente. Drain and set aside.

Add the sauteed vegetables, spinach, tomatoes (with juice), and parsley to the lentils. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often.

Stir in the pasta and season with the salt and pepper. Remove the bay leaf. Ladle in bowls, and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Here is a white bean soup. I usually use white pea beans or navy beans. You can spice it up if you like with pepper flakes but I like it as is.
Quote:
Bean Soup
1 pound white beans
3 small onions, chopped or 1 large
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 large tomatoes, chopped or 1–2 cups canned tomatoes
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 chicken flavoured bouillon cubes
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook beans until soft in about 3 litres of water (or pressure cook about 20 minutes). Add bouillon, salt and pepper and diced vegetables. Boil slowly, about half an hour, until carrots are cooked. Add extra water if needed. Adjust seasonings. Makes 6-8 servings.

May add any vegetable as desired.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #363  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Thanks for the recipe and yes I'll omit the pasta and olive oil. I want it for lunches only and figuring out the calories per serving is easy with Fitday. I like to keep my calories low at lunch time, then eat what I want for supper. The article below is from Dr. Oz.
Quote:
Fill up on soup.
Swap vegetable-based soups, stews, stir-fries, and chili. Vegetables are a great source of fiber and water—nutrients that help you feel full without adding a lot of extra calories.

Spice it up.
Studies show that capsaicin, the active ingredient in hot peppers, not only increases satiety — it may also rev up your metabolism to help burn calories.

Go for the deep freeze.
Since cold-weather cooking is more time-consuming than summer grilling, make healthy meals in bulk and freeze the leftovers. Hearty soups, turkey-bean chili, stews, and meatloaf all freeze well.
This one is from Dr. Weil, funny I should get my jar of tumeric capsules in the mail today. I ordered it to help keep Alzheimers away since my mom died of it.
Quote:
  • Ginger. Dried, powdered ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory agent, and capsules are readily available in health food stores. Choose products that are standardized for their content of active components, and start with one gram per day (usually two capsules), taken after a meal to avoid stomach irritation. There is no toxicity and you can stay on it indefinitely.
  • Turmeric. The principal ingredient in mild yellow prepared mustard and in some curries, turmeric has excellent anti-inflammatory properties. This bright spice may also have a specific preventive effect against Alzheimer's disease and reduce the risk of cancer. Take a whole extract of turmeric, such as those prepared by the process of “supercritical extraction" which uses liquefied carbon dioxide to extract turmeric's beneficial components.
  • Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). This time-honored pain medication offers a great many health benefits, including down-regulation of inflammation, decreased risk of heart attack, blood-thinning effects and reduced risk of some cancers. There is a downside to aspirin - a potential risk of irritation and bleeding of the lining of the stomach and lower GI tract - but in general the health benefits of low-dose aspirin regimens greatly outweigh risks. Talk with your doctor to see if a daily aspirin is right for you.
  • NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) other than aspirin. These include ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin and related products. Ibuprofen reduces risk ofAlzheimer's disease to a greater degree than aspirin, but has the same risks of gastrointestinal irritation and bleeding. Dr. Weil recommends daily use only for those with significant family histories of Alzheimer's, or with symptomatic inflammation (such as from arthritis or bursitis), but be sure to speak with your doctor first.
Hungry Girl had this recipe on today for dipping sauce.
Chicken Dipping sauce
1 tbsp. sugar-free pancake syrup
1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Directions:
To make the sauce, in a medium bowl, mix syrup, mustard, and vinegar. Stir in 1/4 cup water.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-19-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #364  

Morning everyone. its -27 out this am. our house has a vaulted ceiling and has lots of windows,at this temp its chilly in here so yes ive got my "fuzziez" on actually 2 pair for those that asked i dont count calories,my stomach is small. i can eat about 1 cup at a time. if i take that one extra bite im in pain and also i dont want to stretch out my pouch. i concentrate on protein 1st,then vegies and fruit, i limit carbs, and no sugar(causes dumping,pukes and dire"rear") sometimes i eat more frequent smaller meals and snacks. no liquids with meals as you fill up to fast. they want me to get 60 to 80 grm of protein aday,take a handful of vitamins and exercise. ive got some of it right anyways. i have never counted the cal i take in after my surg. i'll bet its around 1000 or under tho. one of the myths for this surg is you will never be hungry. just not true. im always hungry but deciding if its real hunger or head hunger(cravings) is a trial. i still struggel with this,but the benefits im getting is a good incentive. hope your day is great dh wants breakfast,ttfn (((hugs))) rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 01-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #365  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Chickadee, very cool that your DH will drink the juice when he's not a vege person. Time to use it more.

Lynn, you're 33% there on the class. Gotta love the whiners... not.

Ah KarenMO, that is a bummer about the juicer. I figure if I want a vege juice, I'll open a can of V8. That happens about twice a year. I do love fruit smoothies. I use a magic bullet for mine because the mixing container is the cup and very easy clean up.

Gayle, wow on your father and AI. Does he love your mom since that seems pretty mean. I mean, how much news is he going to miss if he doesn't watch it for 1 to 2 hours. And I agree with Bobbi, get out there and walk. You will feel better.

Rosey, good job with your DH. I love grow up and suck it up. He still needs to bring you flowers. Even if its -25 out.

Lucinda, great job being with your eating!

Carol Sue, love the story about the white jump suit and the undies. Duct tape on the pants...

Freda, glad that DGS won't be having surgery. A distorted face would be worse.

Brrr Bobbi. I really don't miss living in MN. And I need reading correction because I joined the GG years. Lasik doesn't fix/change up close vision so I have some reading correction now that I'm a GG.

Rie, I agree with Bobbi's comment to KarenFL about crying and puffy eyes. Hammer and nail it chickie. Take out the frustrations of the last few days on something physical. Crying only gives me a head that no Tylenol will ever touch. And FEEL BETTER - life didn't get you down because your gonna kick its butt.

Isabella, take the salt with you and be safe.

It is snowy in town but missed my house. My doggie hike this morning was sans snow (or ice). I did have to update my district's website that classes were going to start a hour later. I got the call from the supt while I was walking my doggies. I'm looking at the now snow or ice and said "OK, I'll update the page" while wondering if he'd gone nuts. As I drive into town, I see the snow. Piles and piles of snow. I am happy no snow at my house since cleaning the yard after my four doggies is difficult when the poop is buried. And then spring is gross. So I'm good with no snow.
Marie
Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #366  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Once again, the doctor was not at my visit. He was at the hospital doing surgery. The PA consulted with him and they decided I need to have a CT scan to see what's going on. I go for that on Saturday. The doc doesn't understand why I'm getting an infection now, 5-6 weeks after surgery, and I don't understand it either. I asked about the infection in regards to my heart and the PA danced around that. I don't think she knew the answer. When the cardiologist calls to give me the results of the echo, I will ask them and see what they think. So now I wait til after the CT scan to see what's next. It might mean I end up back in the hospital, but I just want whatever is going to make me better. Since I have the infection, maybe I'll get a private room! LOL

I am trying very hard to be optomistic and trust their judgement but it's hard because I want to see some improvement.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #367  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola, Lovelies!

Not much energy, so this will probably be short-ish.

First, for all of you who got a weirdo email message from me, I got hacked. I apologize and am sure that none of you opened the link (right?). I’ve changed my passwords, so I hope that does the trick.

Marie – I couldn’t tell if you’re for or agin eating breakfast? I regularly (6 days a week) have a slice of egg casserole and ½ slice of toast. It keeps me quite happy until noon and lunch.

I still do a little bail bonding. The State and the courts decided they needed income more than we did, so they did some creative stuff that has put many, many bail agents out of business. I’m lucky to do one bond a month anymore. My skip is still skipping off somewhere. I just have to say, “God’ll get ‘ya, you little sumbit**”

Deelee – Our Rosey is just the best!

Gayle – did you ever hear back from anyone about the ergonomic solutions to your problems? Those who don’t hurt have no idea! We must be getting another storm coming, because every bone in my body aches. I can sympathize with you. I did, though, adjust my chair according to Lyn’s suggestion, and it has helped so much. I religiously do those stretches before I get out of bed in the a.m. and don’t even want to know what would happen if I missed a day! What a miracle cure!!

Freda – did you get your snowstorm? How is your dgs???

Bobbi – Lenscrafters has a new thing: they take a digital picture of you wearing your glasses, then they can measure exactly where on the lenses the corrections should go, so that we aren’t having to move our head 1/8 of an inch to the right while holding the left leg in front of us… to be able to see. It supposedly improves sight tremendously. I suspect our Marie is loping toward the age of crone and is needing glasses for her budding presbyopia! Same thing happened with my Lasik, which was many years ago; the doc said that’s why it’s so hard to correct my vision now, Marie! Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings…

It was nice to hear from Nancy on FB. I’ve been wondering about her!

Rie – did you make it through the day without more drama and trauma? Thank you for the compliment, too! That was sweet of you to say…

Rosey – I just can’t imagine prolonged temps of -20s! Wowsers! You could always threaten to lock DH outside if he gets too cranky! How much longer is he on the elimination diet? When do you start adding stuff back in? And is it making a difference? Does he feel better (other than his disposition?)?

CarolSue – good thoughts, good thoughts! It’s good that you’ll be consulting with the cardiologist about the infection; he’s the one who should know about this.

That's it for now... Everyone, have a good rest of the evening. Newbies, welcome!

Last edited by jess1; 01-19-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #368  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I'm just going to post my eats and exercise tonight.

Quote:
Breakfast: 1 slice ww toast, 1/2 tablespoon almond butter, 2 tablespoons applesauce, 1 clementine

Dinner: 2 mushroom burger patties, mashed potatoes, ff gravy, peas & carrots, Swiss chard

Snack: 4 soda crackers

Supper: 2 mushroom burger patties, potato salad, 1/2 slice ww bread, about 1 ounce cheese

Exercise: 10.29 kilometres on exercise bike, 36 minutes
Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #369  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Omigosh. I'm falling so far behind! This week has just flown by. Of course we were off Monday, I worked in the office on Tuesday - on Wednesday I had a day-long strategy meeting re: the Vermont gig, and I took today off just for the heck of it - spent the morning doing laundry and straightening up around here, and then had lunch and spent the afternoon with my dd3 & the twinnies. That was such fun! Back in the office tomorrow (ugh) but can mark another week off my calendar on the way to retirement (Yay). Still doing the qi gong, and getting better at it, but have an awful lot to learn. Dh & I are doing about 20 minute's worth of exercises every day. So far so good.

Carol Sue, I AM worried, now...whyever would they wait until Saturday for an MRI if you have an infection in there????? Are you on antibiotics???? Gawd....yes, I'm sure that there are some decent, competent and even dedicated medical professionals. I mean, we have some who are GG's, after all. But I swear, health care has become so industrialized - and profit oriented - over the past twenty years that the good ones are pretty rare. Well, I'm thinking of you, girl...and praying that all will be well.

Aw, Marie. I wish we could've gone a bit longer here without snow. Funny, though, how it hit your town but skipped your house. I'd be okay with that if I didn't have to go anywhere. I just have this one last winter to get through, and I'll be all through with my daily commuting. It won't be over with a moment too soon for me!

Rosey, you're just doing soooo well! I didn't realize that you felt hungry all the time - I thought with the reduction in the size of your tummy, you would feel full most of the time. Oh, boy....I don't know how well I could handle that myself. I have a low tolerance for hunger, I think. I get really crabby... downright evil, if you want the truth...if I'm hungry and can't eat for some reason. Did you say MINUS 27 degrees? Oh, lordy...I will not be visiting Alaska in this lifetime, I don't believe.

That dipping sauce sounds yummy, Bobbi. Guess I'll have to give that a try. It might just be sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth....I've really been craving something sweet lately, and haven't given in, but I fear that I'm on the brink...

Isabella, your driveway must be like the one I had to negotiate to get into that meeting yesterday. It was at my partner's house up in New Hampshire, and his driveway was solid ice. I had to grab a ski pole out of the back of my car to hold myself up. Then he came out in his big, tractor-tread brogans and pulled me up to the garage door. I didn't even move my feet - just slid behind him. It must've looked pretty funny, but it sure didn't feel that way.

I'm glad you stayed home today, Rie...I suspect you needed some "me" time rather badly. I hope you're feeling better.

I hope things went well for you at work, Gayle.

Freda, I'm still trying to figure out why you're getting edited like that. I KNOW you don't use vulgar language, so whatever could the problem be? Well, anyway. I hope everything goes well for your gs. I know what it's like to be worrying over grandbabies. Worse, almost, than worrying about your own. I think that when ours were kids, we were too young to be thinking about all the possible things that could go wrong - we were just too busy trying to look after them and in most cases, work, take care of our houses, etc., etc.

Ohhhhhhh, I'm soooooo tired! I'm going to have to get to everybody else tomorrow...I'm sitting here yawning and feeling like my eyes are going to close....
G'nite, PT (actually, I think I DID open the link on your Email. Whatever it was - I forget - I think oh, yeah - an advertisement, maybe - but it wasn't a virus because my computer is still alive and well), K3, CaddyK, Chickadeee, and everybody! Stay warm!

Z
Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #370  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Hello my ladies. I finished up the day w/ a big bowl of kale and bean soup.
3 cups of water
3 handfulls of kale
1/2 tablespoon dry soup mix
3 shakes of nooch,
1 can of pinto beans
bring it all to a boil, reduce heat simmer 5 minutes then put 4 ladle fulls into the vitamix w/ a handful of cashews blend till frothy and creamy. Stir that back into the soup.
enjoy!
nooch= nutritional yeast flakes

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 01-19-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #371  

Hi everyone still freezing here brrrrr. i dont want to go anywhere. dh is doing ok. hes bored with this elimination diet. cant say as i blame him and hes not as cranky after i called him on it. we will know more tomorrow after his allergy tests are annalyzed. im making baked chix and roasted vegies for dinner.smells wonderful. hope your evening peaceful rosey

Breakfast
coffee,atkins protein bar

lunch
eggsalad and cucumber chips(in place of crackers)

snack
2 c airpopped popcorn,coffee mocha

dinner
1/2 chix breast
1/2 cup roasted vegies
beet pickels
Old 01-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #372  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Marie/Donna - I have always been a breakfast eater. It is my favorite meal as I like eggs so much. Since retiring, I not only get up later than I used to but I delay breakfast and eat something more like brunch. If I tried to eat breakfast AND lunch the meals were too close together, and then we eat supper at 4 or 5. Now I have 2 meals per day, and that allows for something in the evening if I feel hungry. Sometimes it's just my leftovers from supper, and sometimes I don't get hungry and I don't eat. I also go to bed early, at 8 or 9. I say I'm going to watch TV in bed but I'm asleep in a couple minutes and the TV plays away to itself. LOL

Rie - I am sorry to hear about your accident(s). I'm glad to hear that your didn't get hurt and hope there isn't much damage to your vehicle. It's really scary to have that happen, though. The snow is so pretty but it's no fun to drive in.

Zoe - The doctor's office first had to get approval from insurance for the CT scan and then schedule it. I thought I would have to wait until Monday. I didn't realize they would do it on Saturday, but then I realized they have to be there 24/7 because of people who come in with emergencies.

Our hospital is about a 20 minute drive from here, but they have a small clinic type place here in town where they do blood work, xrays, mamograms and some other testing. Now they are expanding into the empty store next door and by April they will be doing a lot more out-patient services. That is so great for our community because we won't have to drive to the hospital, try to park, and sit in the waiting room with in-patients who are waiting for the same testing. I don't think the people who work there are too happy about this because I think they like their little community there. But this is progress. The hospital must own a lot of property in that area because they donated property to be used as a community sports center, but I think the township voted it down because no one wants them to use taxpayer money to build and maintain the center. They will have to find some other way to fund it before the township will go forward with it.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #373  
Bobbi

Like Isabella, I'm only taking the time to post my menu....It's snowing (Yippee) and I have to run into town for cold medications for DH. He has a full blown cold, something I thankfully never get. I can't remember the last time I had a cold, I think I've become cold resistant in my old age. Where's some wood I can knock on?
Quote:
Thursday’s Keep me Accountable menu 905 calories + 40 grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, Caramel yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds, 3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Butternut Apple soup

Snack Sugar free Carob pudding with SF cool whip and topped with ½ serving dry Fiber One.
Carrot sticks with some of the sweet Dijon/balsamic vinegar/syrup sauce, really good.

Supper Baked Chicken with Sweet Dijon dipping sauce, 7oz. Sweet - Sour Red Cabbage. And yes, I had a beano before I ate it.
Made some oven potato wedges for DH, had one small wedge to test for doneness. Ooops, forgot to weigh it and add to Fitday. Well, it couldn't have had that many calories in it and I was way low for the day anyway.

Popcorn
Old 01-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #374  
Bobbi

Forgot to tell you Donna the Cabbage eater, if you like vinegar in your cabbage......you gotta try the new recipe I found yesterday for the Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage, really yummy. It called for two strips of bacon, I only added one and it was still delicious.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #375  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's

Yippee ~ a day off. But it is going to be a busy one. Got lots of stuff to do, but hope I can fit in a little “gorking”

Want to wash the sheets, do the regular laundry. Make a pot of the Zero point Weight Watchers vegetable soup, and a crock pot of stew for Sara. Have the little puttery stuff for getting ready to go back to work. A couple little things I'd like to sew. Then Maddie will probably be coming over in the afternoon for a visit. I’ve probably got more stuff to do than time to do it ~ sigh……

I didn’t end up walking yesterday morning or evening, but rode my bicycle over to visit Sara, so I did get a little exercise in there.

Guess I’d better get off here and get going ~ it would be awfully easy to sit here and play around on the computer and then ~ woosh ~ wonder where the day had gone.

Hope you will post that recipe when you have time Bobbi ~ it sounds good.

Hope you all have a good one.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 01-20-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Closed Thread