Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #316  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

I think the blues are behind me for this time. Feeling in better spirits. Resumed my walking this morning and again this evening. Even did good with the food.

Got to visit my sister (over the phone) tonight. She just retired in December. I am so happy for her. She had worked so hard and the last couple years at a new location and she hated it and was in a lot of pain (fibromyalgia). She sounds like a weight has been lifted off her shoulders.

Almost time for bed. The evenings are so short.

Hope you all rest well.

Take care

Picture is of the parking where I walk in the morning and at night ~ at night it is lit up as light as day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HEB parking lot at night.jpg (20.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by glynne; 01-16-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #317  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

Well, tonight I learned that I will have a site visit from another wyoming town this week at my facility. I heard tentatively that they were visiting but I guess they have decided to come this week. For the second time this year, a team has been told by national experts to do a site visit in Billings at my Center. I guess I must be doing a really good job. We'll see how it goes. It is tiring work but it is gratifiying, also.

I am on plan, completely, - even under most of the week and I did not lose a pound I am choosing to believe that I will have a woosh next week - or the week after. It is hard not to get discouraged. I am not cheeting and I am eating way under my recommended calorie burn. My only choice is to stay the course, right?

I promise to do personals in the morning.

Rie
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #318  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

in case any one is interested, i finally had a mov't. before when i was an over eater i moved multiple times a day. But since i got my diet under control, my digestion has been stingy. i am thank ful to feel less encumbered today.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #319  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Good Morning, Everyone,

Today, my DD and I are going up to have lunch with my niece and family. She turns 50 today. This is the niece whose daughter graduated as an Elementary School teacher just before Christmas. Her DH is going through some kind of crazy stage and lost his job. Just before Christmas, he told her he now has a job in Oregon and is moving there. He left on the day before New Year's Eve. In addition to this, her job with UPS got changed to some crazy split schedule where she must work 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night. With her DH gone, she is afraid to quit the UPS job - also she has only 3 more years to get her full pension from them.

All in all she is having a tough time.

Bobbi, that squash soup was DELICIOUS! I debated about using the white wine. Soup tasted good without it. My SIL convinced me to add the wine. I could not believe how it pulled out the taste of the nutmeg when I added the wine. GREAT recipe!

Lynn
Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #320  

good Morning GG's

Wow, you miss a few days here and you've got a lot of catching up to do. More than i can manage, but I did get them all read. Worked all weekend and Monday I went to work at Curves in the morning. this morning I slept in. I was very tired. Lots to do today. It's my DIL's birthday and my DGD is next month and i've got to go buy cards. Laundry, cleaning,shopping, busy day.

I'm not sure who mentioned what now, but there was a few things I wanted to say.

Rosie, I think. The mistake with the medication doseing. Always know what is ordered and why. Mistakes are made. By Dr.'s, pharmacists, whoever. It's up to us to make sure they don't happen to us. and shame on that nurse for giving you a hard time. It's her job to answer questions.

Someone else mentioned the diet for diverticulosis. The thought has changed on that too. Before it was no seeds, no nuts. A lot of restrictions. Now most doctors are saying it doesn't matter. Of course I would never suggest going again your own Dr.'s orders.

I'm always too warm, DH is always too cold. But we do keep the temp. around 67-8 during the day and lower it at night. The vent in our bedroom is closed, so it's cooler in there. I get too hot at 70. I would die at 80.

Welcome to all the new people. So glad to see you. Come often.

With the surgery and the openings that tunnel. Not unusual at all. I pack them all the time, and must larger than that. For the larger wounds now we have the wound vacs that work wonderfully.

I guess I better get busy if I want to get anything done today,

Freda
Old 01-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #321  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning,
It's snowing...Yipee! Unfortunately it's very windy too. Bad mix when you live in the country and have to make a trip into town, total white out.
Marie...I called Walmart and chewed them out. She said they had been shipped but no mail yesterday due to Martin Luther King b'day. So they better be there today, it's been 15 days! I'm thinking they arrived and probably got broken in the mail and they re-ordered or something like that and won't tell me. As to our tax returns, we're going to finish paying off Home Depot for our hardwood floors.
Lynn...glad you liked the soup, I jarred it and use for my lunches. A little higher in calories than my usual veggie soup but a nice change. I still have tons of butternut squash to use up. I'll join you and Lyn on the "I love to put jig saw puzzles together." I just finished one after Christmas and gave DH a new one for Christmas. We didn't start it yet because I have the scrabble game up and running. DH enjoys that more.
Donna...what's ya doing, No words of wisdom today? Same-o Same-o?
Zoe...Obviously you're busy too. I'm thinking you'll get our snow, it's moving your way.
Dee...have you tried the PB2 peanut butter. (You can google it) It's dry powdered peanut butter with all the fat removed. You just mix it up with water as you use it. Celery sticks taste so much better dipped in it.

Rie...How'd the pool go last night after driving all the way across town? And to answer your question, YES, stay on course. I've been on a plateau for about 2 weeks now, I hate that. It happens to all of us so just dig in your heels and be patient.
Quote:
I am on plan, completely, - even under most of the week and I did not lose a pound I am choosing to believe that I will have a woosh next week - or the week after. It is hard not to get discouraged. I am not cheeting and I am eating way under my recommended calorie burn. My only choice is to stay the course, right?

Lyn...love the picture of you and the cats. The white one is very pretty!
Rosey...Good job on the faux mayo, did he like it? After reading your menu, I remembered I had some frozen grapes in the freezer I forgot about. I'll have to munch on some today if I get hungry.
Quote:
ff coffee mate so i mixed the powder with some apple cider vinegar,1 t sugar and some garlic) it turned out pretty good so hope he likes it.grapes
Glynne...sorry about gaining the weight back, I hope your hubby didn't grumble about that. Spouses that never gain weight just don't realize what we go through, BTW...did you catch Dr. Oz yesterday? I thought he was going to have a segment on imaginary surgery. They did have two people on debating whether people are addicted to food or just need some will power. What do you all think?
Quote:
I have gained most of the weight back that I had lost with Weight Watchers. I do good for a bit, then fall back into my old habits
Isabella...that's my favorite pie too. Did you try the coconut yogurt yet. You mentioned adding a sweetner for better taste? I always put liquid stevia in my yogurt, I think I just didn't add enough of the coconut extract.
Quote:
I like coconut cream pie so that's why I suggested the coconut flavouring for the yogurt. Maybe it needs sweetening to bring out the flavour.
Hi to anyone I missed, I'm burning sunlight. I need to get ready in case rinky dink Walmart calls.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-17-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #322  
Bobbi

Hi Freda...I see you snuck in before me...Congrats on your weight. I noticed you're back to 115 pounds! When did that happen or maybe I didn't notice it before.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #323  

S/C/G: 223/207/160

Height: 5' 5"

Well, I haven't been here for a long while. had to look up my password, LOL. its rainy, turning to snow soon here. we have had a very warm winter, we did get a bit of snow last week, but its all melted here, the ski places north have been making snow to stay open.
I have not lost any weight in weeks, haven't really been trying very hard. started a challenge with a group of friends, hoping the accountability helps!
I watched that dr Oz yesterday, I think there is some truth in food being addictive, but it still all comes down to the choices I make in what to eat.
hoping we get some real snow, would like to pull out the cross country skiis. thanks for always being here. Pam
Old 01-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #324  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Rosey, I love your to-do list. Sexy undies. Go chickie go! Just don't wear them when you do the 1/2 marathon or you'll end up with a chafing problem. You are SO close.

Rie, having others visit, then imitate you is the most wonderful compliment. I can't imagine you doing anything but a great job!

Bobbi, I'd say I'm addicted to food and need willpower to keep it under control. Same as alcoholics. They are addicted but they have to have a great power to stay away from the stuff. I don't think it is an either or problem. And I hope those glasses come today!

Pam, the ski areas in the Cascades don't have real snow either. (That sounds like it will change starting tonight) A couple places haven't opened and those that have opened had to make snow for some runs. Making snow for a mountain has to be expensive.

Nothing new here. Back at work and giving it a half hearted effort. I am good at procrasinating in the morning. But now that I'm done catching up with my GG friends, I have loads of work to get to. We're supposed to have a dump and a half of snow starting tonight through Thursday. When they are predicting in feet instead of inches, that's sort of mind grabbing. Perhaps I'll be snuggled in my house tomorrow with my puppies. Probably wouldn't have electricity but that's just fine as well.
Marie
Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #325  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Woe is me…..I have read everybody’s posts, grinned at some, commiserated with others, and said “attagirl” in my head to those of you who have made progress. I never did manage to post myself over the long weekend though, and while we did a few things, I wasn’t busy every moment, so I can’t attribute it to anything but sheer laziness, I’m afraid.

We babysat for our lil’ twinnies on Saturday night, and then went up to New Hampshire to our friend’s place on Sunday afternoon to share a potluck and some lively discussion. Yesterday was devoted to laundry, making homemade chicken & lentil & veggie soup (chicken stock with shredded mustard greens, onions, celery, carrots, lentils and black beans – very healthy, nutritious and filling. The filling part is the best part for someone with my appetite!) and I did a little reading, a little crocheting, a little gabbing with dd3 on the phone…my son stopped by for supper as his wife and her sister went to their mother’s house to look through some stuff she evidently wants to give them for their new house.

They – ds & dil – will be moving into the new place on Feb. 1st. He’s so excited – like a kid at Christmas. I’m so happy for them. I wish the property values here were like the ones in AZ, Mary – they’re paying more than twice what you’re asking for your house, and it’s a nice house – an older, larger place with 4 bedrooms and a couple of baths in an older, established neighborhood – but not as glitzy by far as yours. No pool, either. Really lovely place, but so much more costly than in other parts of the country. SO annoying!

Isabella & Bobbi – oh, MY! Yes, I love coconut custard pie, too! What a good idea to add it to yogurt! I’m for sure trying that! And the soup, too….that made my mouth water just reading the recipe!

As for addiction VS needing some willpower – well, the trouble with food, in my opinion, is that you can’t quit eating altogether. I mean, you can quit smoking if you smoke, and you can quit drinking if you drink – but when it comes to eating, you always have to do it. So maybe we DO deal with food – some of us, anyway – as an addiction. And, every time we give in and eat something we shouldn’t – candy or pastries or some such – we end up craving more and more. So, yeah, I would vote that we can be addicted to SOME foods – and in that respect, probably ought to give them up entirely, just like quitting smoking or drinking. But it sure is hard to do.

I’m glad that you’re in good spirits, Gayle. That, in itself, is helpful when it comes to motivation, right? I like your “walking” lot…..I wish I had one like that nearby. One that isn’t icy and snowy, that is. We finally got some – not a huge amount, but enough to grumble about, and more, I guess, on the way towards the end of the week. Ack.

So Rie – do you think maybe you’re hitting the wall because you’re not eating enough? If your calorie intake is too low, your body goes into conservation mode, doesn’t it? Maybe you should try a few higher days just to get things kickstarted a bit? Congrats, by the way, on being a “model” administrator! Too bad they can’t clone you….

BTW, Bobbi…I’m glad you mentioned the PB2….I’ve been meaning to try it for a while now, and I just went to Amazon and ordered myself some. I remember really liking peanut butter & celery, but stopped eating it because regular peanut butter is so high in calories and fat.

Freda, your weekend sounded crazy-busy! I hope you have a chance to “gork” a bit now!

Wow, Lynn, that’s really lousy – your niece’s situation, I mean. I’m sure she’ll appreciate your concern and support.

Oh crap, Carol Sue! An infection! Well, I guess that explains why it hasn’t been healing as quickly as it should have. I’m assuming they’ve prescribed some antibiotics? Hopefully once the infection is gone, the healing will be rapid. You KNEW something wasn’t right….why don’t these people listen, anyway?

Sexy undies, huh, Rosey? ….I am SO beyond the sexy undies. You make me feel like I’m about a hundred! Good for you, though….

Marie – I’m not much of a restaurant aficionado, either. I typically don’t care all that much for whatever I get, and would much rather eat my own cooking, because I know how it was prepared and what went into it. I know…picky, picky… OH! And about that downwardly moving ticker of yours? WAY to GO, girlfriend!

Lynn, your daughter is such a trouper! Good grief…..out in that bone-chilling cold! Yikes!

Omigosh, Chickadee, a piece of stitch in your thumb? NOT optimum! I thought these people were supposed to double-check or something before they close an incision? Tsk. So sorry you’re having trouble with it….hope things improve soon.

PT? Uh-uh. You’ll never catch me in any screaming horde at a football…or any other kind of ball…game. I think the players are WAY overpaid, and sports in general have become an industry that generates huge dollars for the owners and coaches and managers and players and such…and well, I’m just not interested. I’d rather see all that money go to help some folks out here who need it…in general, not all, but 99% of the players, etc., give very little to charitable causes, and live overly-lavish lifestyles in my opinion. Overly lavish, and they do some pretty despicable things. Just my opinion, and comes, I’m sure, from my social worker mentality.

K3…you might want to check out qi gong. It can even be done sitting down, and it accomplishes a LOT when it comes to flexibility and such. I actually started with the “qi gong for seniors” on Youtube. Loved it, and moved on to learn – and do – more.

CaddyK – we have snow! I wanna move to Missouri!!! Can I rent your basement?

Okay, I’m missing people, but I’ve gotta go!

Have a great day, GGs!!!!

Z
Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #326  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning! Zoe, we do have blue skies and sunshine but it is only 27 degrees today. But we have a continual warm up and it will be about 65 by Sunday!! Love it! Sure come on -- I have a TV down there, shower and bathroom, kitchen counter with sink, a table and chairs, a day bed and all the exercise stuff! I never did sell the gazelle so it is still down there too. And it has a separate entrance too!! LOL!!!

I did some tracking on my juicer and it is in Joplin on a truck for delivery to my store so I should have it tomorrow! Kind of excited about it. Now I need to get some good juice recipes for it. I'm sure it will come with a book that has recipes in it too. There is a book out called the Juice Lady---- has anyone seen it or read it? Just wondering if it would be worth buying too.

Lucinda-- good job on getting that scale to move! I keep going back and forth with the same couple pounds! So frustrating !

Well, I wanted to pop in for a few-- I know I have missed bunches but know that I have read all the posts and am thinking good thoughts for everyone!!

Be back later!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #327  

Hi Goldies,

I am having a good week, yeah! And tomorrow is already Wednesday, lots of meetings so the day will go fast and more meetings on Thursday. Crazy. But it is cold here 17 degrees with 24 MPH wind. Chilly. Good ole January temps.

Bobbi, I am a fan of old time things, I can’t help it. Maybe making the towels and wanting a Featherweight sewing machine just helps keep the warm and fuzzy memories alive for me, I always loved simpler times and I am not even that old. If I could live in another time I would pick the 1800’s. I know weird; my DH would pick the future, because he loves new developments. Opposites attract.

Jess I am in bed by 9:00 nightly, I get up at 4:30 and don’t sleep straight through so I need all I can get when I can get it. My DH tells me to stay up later and I will be more tired, it doesn’t work that way!

Karen3 hope your friends brother will be ok after the surgery, so hard not knowing.

Marie, what kind of sports car is that, next time take the dogs along with their heads out the window. Oh, wait they would leave nose prints on the windows. Sorry about the Pack, but they will be Back!

Gayle so glad you get your computer up and running, it is scary how we come to depend on them so much. And that you are feeling better.

Karen31 you got a juicer, so did we. I love it, my DH even told me I was in charge of doing the prep work and he would clean the machine afterwards. I still want to find some good recipes, ones that use mostly veggies. We got one because of a documentary on Netflex that we watched, it sold us. What have you made so far?

Deelee my mom does not have Alzheimer’s, I don’t know how that got mixed up, my FIL had it. Potato Chips, we have them in our house, DH eats them, I don’t touch them. I have done real good at making choices, like if I am going to have something I really shouldn’t I make sure it is worth it, like why have a potato chip when I could have a cheeto instead! LOL

Lynn I love the little table on the arm of your sofa, how cool is that, and I love your snuggle bugs, both of them!

Isabell you know I hope they are right about my thumb, and I hope there is a bigo stitch stuck in there and it comes out, and my thumb will bend like it should. But I don’t think that is going to happen. I mostly wish I would have left it alone and didn’t do the surgery, only because I feel it should be better by now. But I see the doc next week.

Rosey hope things improve in the menu options for your DH, I guess it is trial and error till you get things right for a eating plan for him.

Rie yep we got cold and windy weather here too, goes right to the bone. Burrrr!

Carol Sue, something about holes in you belly sounds odd, but then again I guess it is. Hope you are healing up, they always tell me it hasn’t been that long, give it time, but in your case, I would be going crazy. Good thought coming your way.

Freda my DH has diverticulitis and he has been told both, avoid seeds and that it doesn’t matter, just chew. But he has had severe outbreaks and treatment is no fun, so he now stays clear of anything that looks like it could be an issue. Better to be safe than sorry.

Zoe no wonder you did post over the weekend, you were just plain busy!

Hope everyone is doing good and staying warm.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #328  
Bobbi

Chick...I think we married the wrong husbands, my DH would like to live in the 1800's like you. He especially likes the use of hand guns, he'd be able to shoot anyone stealing his horse. Me? I'd hate to go back to my mom's 1st washer with two rinse tubs and those old wringers you got your fingers and arms caught in. One nice thing about the olden years is that women stayed home and raised the family, not out in the work force. All cooking would be from scratch, you'd have to wait for DH to shoot something before you could make supper. I know what you mean about reminiscing about old sewing machines. It brings back fond memories of my grandmother sewing dresses for us. She had an old singer treadle machine, our daughter has it in her kitchen now. I think I mentioned that before, she stores spices in the drawers.
Quote:
I always loved simpler times and I am not even that old. If I could live in another time I would pick the 1800’s. I know weird;
Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #329  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening....I spent the day sitting on the lania reading. The sun was warm and no breezes. It was so peaceful. Dh made us drinks with one our naval oranges and it was so good. Dinner was oven baked pork chop with roasted butternut squash and apple/pear compote and now my tummy is happy and life is good. hummmmmmmmm

Dh has killed my pool. He blew off all the plastic film that was a privacy screen that the lawn guy has been tearing up and it has clogged the filter/pump of the pool. You must have heard me yelling last week about getting the stuff in the water.....

Admit to being a Giant fan....hey guys my great uncle has his dairy farm where the stadium is built. A 100 yrs ago...but that is a connection??? Actually both of us were Baltimore Colt fans for years and when we moved to Md it was wonderful to be close enough to go to games...wrong they moved the team out of town in the middle of the night shortly after we moved there. Oh I remember Big Daddy....Johnnie U....

It is hard to equate food and alcoholism. As Zoe says you need to eat...but I know that on South Beach diet when I get thru the 1st phase and am detoxed from carbs I feel so much better and have no cravings for junk. So perhaps am a carboholic. Yup that's me.

Chick...This summer when I was still in ICU the team came in and removed a bunch of lines and sutures. I couldn't see what they were doing as it was below my chin. They tugged on something said oh well and I could feel them tucking this wirelike thing back in my chest. 10 days later they are removing the rest of the sutures and I ask the PA what about the"wire". She goes on and about "no wire."....even calls Monroe and comes back in and blasts me with there is no wire! Okay, the young LPN is taking out the sutures and suddenly pulls this thingy that looks like a giant green fish hook at least 2" long. She sends for the PA...I'm grossed out and PA is falling all over herself apologizing. I have preached for 50 years to my patients to listen to their bodies.....

Rosey....when it comes time to restart the foods do it really slowly...Too often they get greedy and add too many things and you still don't know what caused the problem. I had to look twice at the mighty hunting dog thought he had wings turn out to be beard.

Gayle.... sometimes you sounds so low I just want to come to Texas and give you a hug.

Marie...you confuse me 80 degree house and cross country skiing??? Cold enough for that much snow and I'd never open my mouth cause the teeth would freeze! brrrrrr

Lyn....They are 2 beautiful Big cats. Dash was indigent with the white one. He has a neighborhood cat who stands in front of living room window giving him the finger. It is all white a black tail. He chases it home and never caught it. He caught one armadillo and just threw it away. No sure what he'd do with a cat.

Back to my book...aka kindle....hugs to everyone I missed....k3

Last edited by Karen3; 01-17-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #330  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I was gone most of the day but did get in my exercise. Here's my eats and exercise for the day.

Quote:
Breakfast: Oatmeal (with bran, flax & wheat germ) blueberries, walnuts, brown sugar, orange

Dinner: 1/2 veggie chicken finger sandwich (1 slice ww bread, green pepper, green onions, 2 "chicken" fingers, lettuce, dribble ranch dressing) few fried potatoes, carrot/raisin/pumpkin seed salad, fruit salad, banana bread.

Supper: 1/2 cup tomato juice, banana bread

Exercise: 9.81 kilometres on exercise bike, 34 minutes
Closed Thread