Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #241  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hey Zoe ~ I'm glad you said you thought you posted an earlier post ~ I thought I saw the post and thought I was getting "dotty" because it was gone ~ LOL.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #242  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

The annual youth/board member luncheon is finished. It was so cute to watch these delinquent kids making their way to shake hands and introduce themselves to the board members. All three of the County Commissioners attended along with the County Attorney and all the board members. The kids served sweet and sour chicken with all the trimmings, salad, and desert. They had made everything. The food was actually good. I was teasing them about renting them out for catering gigs and they liked it. Sometimes we don't appreciate the fact that these kids have never sat at a table with adults and hosted an event. They were very proud of themselves and rightfully so.

After the event I went to the orthopedic clinic. They took a lot of fluid off my knee and injected me with cortisone. Unfortunately, I am one of the people that gets a "storm" in the joint after the injection. I will spend the next 24 hours with pain pills, ice and my knee elevated above my heart and immoble. The PA said that I need to work with my primary care doctor for a small, ongoing prescription for pain meds. I only need it about 3 - 4 times per month but the orthopedic people will only do that if you are ready to have surgery. I just want to get thinner and stronger before I do that. I asked for a referral to physical therapy so I can make sure that my walking gait is ok and get some specific excercises Sorry for going on about this....

You guys are so funny! Those are some of the best wardrobe malfunction stories that I have ever heard

I am going to make new york style cheesecakes for pool tomorrow night. ( I probably wont play but I am going to go because I promised everyone) Ds said that he would help me in the morning.

Chickadee, warm corn cobs???? I hope the therapy goes well. I am going to limit the stuff that I make this year. Some of my specialty truffles and chocolate dipped caramels.

Marie, I loved your pictures and your projects. Lovely.

to everyone else!

Rie
Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #243  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

I've thoroughly enjoyed the clothes stories! My biggie isn't funny, just so embarrassing.... I was a cute young thing, in the recruit class at the police academy. We'd been outside doing absurd things, and I split my jeans from the waist to the crotch in back... and there was no way to secure them or to cover them. I just blithely walked around as if this was normal, delighting the work release guys! Luckily, I ALWAYS wore underwear (eiuuu, icky....). Otherwise, different shoes, front to back scrub pants, that sort of thing... not so unusual!

PT/Zoe - 12 weeks is a long commitment. I'm impressed and will be even more impressed at the end of the class! Your flowing clothes will fit right into the flowing movements!

Rie - feel better SOON.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #244  

Height: 5'8.5"

Ha, love the clothing stories. I have lots of them but my worst one goes all the way back to when I was in kindergarten and I still remember it! Back then we had to wear dresses to school, and I was quite the tomboy anyway. I climbed up the tall slide ladder and headed down the slide. But I had caught my skirt around the edge of the slide and down I went... RIIIIIPPPPPPP - that is the sound of my skirt ripping almost completely off of my dress on the way down. My teacher put it all back together with safety pins and I had to wear it that way the rest of the day.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs,
Sorry I haven’t been here in awhile! I’ve been busy (mostly getting ready for Christmas dinner), & the two times I found the time to “visit”, I was unable to connect to 3FC. Have y’all had trouble with that too? I probably won’t be here much until after Christmas, or maybe after New Year’s. I’m still trying to get everything prepped for the big family dinner I have at my house, & for some reason that always stresses me out. It shouldn’t - I’ve been doing it for over 20 years now, & it will only be family & some friends we’ve known forever. Still, it does. I’ve gotten a lot done already, but only half the things on my list! And, after Christmas, my SO will be off work for a week, & we’ve got some repairs on one of our rental mobile homes, that we have to get done. So, I’ll probably be mostly “AWOL” for awhile.

While I’m here, I just have to tell you about a recipe I found - I might never buy another milkshake! This was supposed to be for an uncooked version of the boiled custard I mentioned before (sort of like cooked eggnog without the nutmeg). Anyway, you just mix a quart of milk with a pkg. of instant vanilla pudding, & then stir in half a small container of cool whip & 1 tsp. of vanilla. Then chill until thickened. Of course I used skim milk & sugar-free pudding mix & lite cool whip. It makes 4 - 10oz. servings at less than 200 cals. each, & SO & I both think it’s just as good as a milkshake. I guess you could use any flavor of pudding mix, but I just love vanilla, so that’s all I’ve tried. Right now I’ve got some in the freezer (for my snack) to see if you can eat it frozen, because that’s how I like my milkshakes. Hope it doesn’t get too hard.

I haven’t read any of the posts I’ve missed, so I’m going to post this now, & try to catch up, some, on what y’all have been doing - I know I won't get to all of it!
NCNancy
Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #246  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

Don't worry Nancy ~ everyone seems pretty busy right now and just popping in when they can. Your milkshake recipe sounds good ~ think I'm gonna try that. So pop in when you can

I had a nice day off even though I didn't end up doing what I thought I was gonna do. Kind of just relaxing and enjoying. Sometimes it is nice to just stay home and not have to be rushing off anywhere. Need a day like that every now and then.

DS Jason and the young lady he has been seeing for a couple months came by and spent part of the evening for a visit. She seems real sweet. I wish maybe this would finally be someone who he would be able to have around for a while. He hasn't had much luck in the realtionship department ~ I want so much for him to find someone and be happy.

Then Sara and Maddie showed up and visited too. That was fun. Maddie and I spent most of her time here drawing things with the spirograph. I felt like that was a pretty good attention span for a 4 year old.

Maddie told me that I could take a few days off and stay home with her. Wish I could

Well, almost bed time. Back to work tomorrow ~ three days then off the weekend.

Hope you all rest well.

Take care
Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #247  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

ROFL Rie on the dryer sheets. That was so funny! Crotchety – DH and I were in line to buy some toys for tots gifts and this old geezer butted into the front of the line and salesperson let him. I told DH a little loudly not to ever turn into an inconsiderate old geezer or I’d have to shoot him. The two older ladies behind us laughed as they were as irritated as I was. So… you are far from crotchety. I am imaging the luncheon and how awesome it must have been. You’re work is so rewarding.

Isabella, thank you for doing what you do. You are my hero! I bet your bike forgives you for not riding after delivering the fruit baskets. I rode my bike this afternoon for 30 minutes at full resistance – I graciously give you my workout and you can have the burned calories. Usually Rie and I trade our exercise routing (I like aerobic and she likes strength training) but you get all mine. You are amazing.

So I just remembered Isabella wanted the Houska recipe (Czeck holiday bread) and I never posted it. See, I am a GG. Here’s the link – it’s a PDF file. Rosey’s Finnish Biscuit reminded me. OK, now I’m thinking I did post it and forgot. Being blonde and dingy was one thing – being blonde and old is just doing my memory in.

Mary, have you heard back from the bank about the short sale and whether they’re accepting the offer on the house?

Chickadee, 100 of your snowflakes??? That’s a bunch and a half. I hope the PT helps with the movement. Going to a PT sure does get spendy quick. Ask loads of questions so you can do it on your own.

Nancy, take a deep breath about your Christmas hosting duties. I bet everyone will love it even if you miss something. Except of course your lovely step daughter, bless her heart.

Gayle, the fingers are crossed that your DS has found his lady love.

Today was a long day. I had my semi-annual gyn appt and mammograms on the other side of the mountain today. Winter driving over the passes is yucky but I make DH go with me. Considering the two appts are for checking for cancer, I like DH there in case the news changes to bad. I now know why I have to have mammograms every six months as I saw the spots they’re monitoring. And my sister was recently diagnosed with BC. But all is good. The gyn is because my paternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer. I’m the only female in my family to still have all the parts so my dr monitors the timebombs every six months. If I chose to have them out, then my risk for BC goes up and there’s two spots they’re monitoring. Anyway, I went from naively skipping annual visits to going twice a year. I’m making up for the ones I missed. Regardless, all is still good on both fronts.

When DH and I got home, we packaged all the stained glass presents and boxed them for shipment. Now I need to drop them off as they’re all paid for and have their shipping labels. Yeah, that is accomplished. Thanks everyone for the kind words about the gifts. Sometimes I think my family might be sick of stained glass but alas, I needed the $$$ for Blizzie’s surgery. Next year I’m doing gift cards though. Unless a doggie needs something then all bets are off.

Speaking of doggies, we went to Costco today. As we drove back over the mountain, I added the dogs’ portion of the bill. Yikes well over $200 for my pups. DH wasn’t pleased but knows there’s no way around the fact I spoil my doggies. I am, though, done Christmas shopping for my dogs. Only DH and part of DGD remain. Enough of the novella…
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 12-13-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #248  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Chickadee, you've made yourself a blizzard with all those snowflakes.

Marie, thank you so much for the link to the bread recipe. I'm going to make that for Christmas. I'll take pictures and post them when I get it made. It won't be this week, though. Thank you again. And thanks for your workout. I surely can use that.

I just finished reading all the clothing stories and am wiping the tears from my eyes. I'm sitting in the living room by myself and laughing right out loud. I remembered many more clothing mishaps while reading everyone else's stories. Just one more from me, if you don't mind. When I was about 13 or 14 years old panty hose came into fashion. Until then we wore our stockings held up with a garter belt. (Remember those). I proudly brought home my first pair of panty hose and decided to wear them to the next church youth meeting. Back then we all "dressed up" in dresses, hose, pumps, summer coats, gloves and a hat. I was going to walk to church that evening as we didn't live too far away. I was all dolled up and feeling pretty posh in the brand new panty hose. I was about half way to church when I felt the waist band of the panty hose starting to roll down around my stomach. Being only 13 years old and a panty hose virgin I didn't have a clue what to do to get the darned things back up around my waist on a public street. I was getting rather desperate as the hose were now well past my stomach. And to make matters worse I could see a priest walking towards me farther down the sidewalk. In desperation, I stuck my hands in the side pockets of my coat and grabbed hold of the panty hose waistband. The priest passed me and nodded a good evening to me and I to him. I finally got to the church still clutching the waistband through the pockets and headed to the bathroom and pulled those wretched things off. I went bare-legged to the meeting (a thing unheard of back then) and swore off panty hose for another 2 years.

I suppose I'd better get to bed as I have a long day ahead of me and it's already morning (1:20 am). Take care everyone.

Last edited by retiredone; 12-13-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #249  

LOL Isabella, love your panty hose story! Yes, it could be very embarrassing when the things started to slide
Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #250  

Not too long ago I had been at work for a couple of hours when someone came up and asked me if I was aware that my shirt was on inside out.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #251  
Want to feel better

Isabella ~ we had an interesting time last night trying to explain panty hose to DGD Maddie. DS Jason and his girlfriend were here visiting. GF Amber had on a dress and black hose. Maddie was asking why Amber had painted her legs ~ LOL. Life is interesting with Maddie ~ you never know what is coming next or
Old 12-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #252  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

So tired lately. I seem to always be yawning. Too much swirling around in my head about what I need to get for who...who can I cross off as having bought enough for...what to cook (I think my dd3 is making a turkey again, so I may have to do a roast beef of some kind (Ack!) unless I can do some creative thinking and come up with something less offensive (to me) that will satisfy the red meat eaters. Spiral ham is a possibility, but not universally loved...might make it, tho...it looks so pretty with the pineapples and cherries on top.

Christmas parties tomorrow, Friday, and carolers on Saturday night (my dd3's kiddos and her bff's kiddos + their dh's) who come to us last so that they can have cocoa and cookies at our house and do a little jamming with all of our musical instruments - we have, as some of you already know, an extensive collection ranging from simple maracas, shakers, tambourines, harmonicas and rainsticks to guitars, a vintage harp, keyboard and 7 or 8 drums. The kids love to make "music" after they've sung the requisite carols. So do DH and I.

I make up little gift bags for each of the kids with unique little things that we typically find at the art museum, candy and a personalized tree ornament - something different each year. This year, I've made little cookie cutter carolers from sculpy clay, baked, painted and glazed them. Each child's ornament is painted to look like him/her all bundled up in winter gear - hats, scarves, mittens - and has his/her name on it along with "Christmas Caroling 2011". I'll try to post a picture, but if it fails here, I'll have to post on FB instead. I can't compete with Marie's stained glass or Rosey's crafts or Chickadeee's snowflakes, but I do have fun doing my little sculpies when the occasion arises.

My (guest) bedroom is still transitioning my summer clothes to winter. The bed in there is covered with piles of clothes, some of which have to be washed before I can store them. No time lately, but I need to get it done, because I've been sleeping in the bed with dh, and I think that's why I'm yawning so much lately - his snoring interrupts my sleep.

I've been worrying about my sister, too. Since her son died in May, she's been so depressed - says that on Christmas, she's staying in bed all day with the covers pulled up over her head. Her older son and his wife went there for Thanksgiving, but it doesn't sound like anybody's going to be there for Christmas. I'd plan to go, but I don't want to leave my family, and who could afford to get all of them down there...not to mention the time off from work that they (and I) can't take right now. We invited her to come to us, but she doesn't want to go anywhere.

Well, enough from this old chick.

Have a good day, GG's. (Oh....I'm still eating ON-PLAN!!!! Can you believe it?)

Z
Old 12-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #253  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Gg's

Thank you for all the Birthday wishes. I had a really good day. Spent the day with my Son, DIL and the Grands. My favorite way to spend any time. They bought me a pair of Ugg shoes. I had admired my DGD's. I am only mentioning this because they bought me the same size that DGD wears. She is 8. I know I have a very small foot, size 5 1/2, but she's just 8! Got most of the gifts that I have bought, wrapped and under the tree. I still like so much, going out there again today. Should finish up most of it. I'll be so relieved.

Z, How cute! The ornaments you're making for the kids. I'm not that creative, but we've done lots of projects over the years. They treasure them and look for them on the tree every year. Congrats on staying on plan. Not an easy thing to do this time of year.

Isabella, Bless you for passing out the gift baskets. And I think you are right. Most of the seniors crave company.

Marie, I think the stained glass is beautiful. Makes a very unique gift. Lucky people that gets them. I know you will be relieved when DD (darling doggie) has had surgery and is on the mend. You know all us doggie lovers will be saying prayers.

Nancy, Good to hear from you. And please don't stress so over the Holiday dinner. Believe me, the people coming to dinner will not care if anything is perfect. Most are coming for the company, and there is always plenty of food. So, chill. Enjoy it. You sound like my sister. I am always telling her that she worries too much, and she tells me I don't worry enough. But, really, most of the things that we stress over never happens, and we couldnt' do anything to prevent it anyway. Focus on dealing with what happens, when it happens.

Gayle, Kids are always saying the most amazing things. Fun, fun...

Misty, I hope you're getting more comfortable in the group. I see you're posting more. It takes awhile to get to know all of us.

Donna, I bet you were quite a hit at the training program. Cute young thing running around with underware showing. Made their day/week. OK, my most embarassing moment. I was in school and was talking to this cute boy and the elastic on my slip broke. I could feel and hear it. Before I could grab for it, i felt my slip fall elegantally around my ankels. I ever so casually just stepped out of it and picked it up.

Rie, you sound so proud of your "kids" and rightly so. Sounds like you've got a good bunch. Sorry about your knee. Hope it feels better soon.

Chickey, I've never heard of corn cobs. I am trying to imagine that and it doesn't sound soothing. Are they ground up or something? When I injured the nerve in my thumb I got parafin hand baths. Dipped my hand in hot paraffin untill there was a thick coat and then wrapped it in a warm towel. Afterwards, my hand felt like a baby's butt! Of course, the other one was still the rough red usual.

Mary, how is the sale of the house going?

Got shopping to do, so I better go. My DGD informed me yesterday that she didn't like any of the "little girl" wrapping paper that I had. Got to stop at the dollar store and get some more "big girl". What exactally is big girl wrapping paper? I guess I should have asked.

Freda
Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #254  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all...Am sitting here laughing at your stories. Gesh girls I whine about going into Dottyhood and you all top my story with funny antidotes. I have told every newbie that the support you get here helps sustain you thru anything....even dottiness!

I restarted the antibiotic Monday evening and never slept all night. That happened last week with first pills. Told Dh i was waiting for cure or tendons to pop. Anyway I couldn't sleep again Monday night after restarting. It's a weird feeling...have you ever grabbed an electric fence? I kept getting jolts. Since I told the doctor that I know am not well....that my natural curly hair goes straight when I'm sick and it is board flat....not sure I can tell him about the side effect "electrical jolts."

We lost a good friend yesterday. She had only one kidney and refused to go on dialysis. They transferred her to Hospice and she died that evening. I suspect the hospital transferred her to keep their statistics low. Saw that more than once at the nursing home. Happy that she is at peace but so sad for her DDs...it will make Christmas season hard on them forever.

We have a bridge club here in town at a private home. I collect signatures and cash for a GC for the director. Figured donations would be light this year and wow I have over $200....hey what happen to the clock....i have to get shower and outta here in 20 minutes....byyyyyyeeee k3
Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #255  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I'll be back later to catch up on all the post. I just wanted to post this recipe to you KarenFla since you asked. I cut calories by using egg beaters, sugar free canned peaches. I cup the butter in half. The whole cup of brown sugar is too much, very sweet. I think 1/2 cup would be plenty, next time I'll skip the butter/brown sugar and put sugar free maple syrup on the bottom of pan, add the peaches and top with egg mixture/bread. The original recipe didn't call for milk. All reviewers put the milk in, otherwise too dry. Other reviewer also soaked the bread in the egg/'milk mixture before putting over the peaches, makes more sense.

Grandma's Peach French Toast

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoon water
1 (29 ounce) can sliced peaches, drained
12 (3/4 inch thick) slices day-old French
bread
1 to 1.5 cups milk
5 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste (I mixed cinnamon right into the eggs)
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a saucepan, stir together the brown sugar, butter and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Pour the brown sugar mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish, and tilt the dish to cover the entire bottom. Place peaches in a layer over the sugar coating, then top with slices of French bread. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla. (and milk) Slowly pour over the bread slices to coat evenly. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-14-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Closed Thread