Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #436  

Height: 5'3"

Sounds like everyone survived another Thanksgiving Day! I ate far too much but we had such a nice day. Really enjoyed having our son and his gf there. We sent them home with most of the food but we did have enough for leftovers yesterday. My weight is up (yes, I did weigh) but is slowly coming down and so far I'm back OP today.

We have decided to cancel our travel plans. In light of all that is going on with the house, we feel we need to stay home and concentrate on getting all that taken care of. Until we get the house taken care of we feel uncomfortable spending on other things. So meantime all unnecessary spending is on hold. The pool man is coming Monday to replace the motor so hopefully by Dec 1st (so close now!) the house will be ready for the ads to go up. I wish I could see the house for myself but I have to take their word for it that it is in good shape.

We are having beautiful weather, 60 degrees today, sun out mostly and no rain...that's really good for this time of year.

Karen31 - So excited for you about the house!! Glad you have several options to choose from too.

Slmn - That's really wierd about the turkey! Sounds like he wanted to be on a platter in that restuarant really badly! Poor thing! On the gym thing, if you could see the people I see at my gym, you won't worry about how you look anymore! LOL We gym goers come in all shapes, sizes, ages and fitness levels! My gym is free for many seniors who are members of certain health plans but we pay and knowing I'm paying for it (even though it's very economical compared to most), keeps me going. I don't like to waste money.
Plus after a while you miss it if you don't workout. Can't believe I'd ever say that but I really do.

I bought three gifts yesterday and now realize we won't be with the recipients to give them, so I'll have to mail them! I wanted to avoid that. Well at least the PO lines shouldn't be that long yet. Or I could take the gifts back to the store but there's a long line there too. At least then I wouldn't have to find a box and wrap for shipping I guess.

Well, dh has gone outside to mow so I probably should get busy in here too.
You all have a good day!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #437  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Glad you enjoyed the video... I thought it was too, too, too sweet! Loved it!

Resting and recouping today. Actually, I've stripped the bed, cleared off the desk, done some bookwork, and am working on the business audit that the insurance requires... so I guess I'm being pretty constructive and productive, now that I think about it!

All is well. Hope you're all enjoying this quiet weekend. I am NOT doing any shopping! I hate it on a Tuesday at 7 p.m., when I have the store to myself, let alone on a Black Friday with the maniacs!! There is NOTHING I need that badly! Bah!

Onward!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #438  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Thanks for all the support, people. It really helps to have people say nice things because then I want to try to not get so down on everything and bother you all more. I don't want to just give up and leave you all alone totally though so I have to try to do things that either get the weight moving downward or at least get my thinking in a better place.

I will try to focus on what I CAN do instead of throwing in the towel because something did not work.

I cannot deal well with calories because I am too busy and when I do I focus on food too much. I am trying to develop habits that give me the same foods every day (with some variation of course) and eyeball things. It had been working and that has been all I could handle. My life is just way too busy and different all the time because I'm mostly freelance.

Also, I have been craving salt for some reason and I think that is playing havoc with water retention. I used to exercise a LOT as a part of my life but then got stuck into a desk job because I desperately needed money. So, on top of being very bored and unhappy, my calorie expenditure was drastically reduced. It is all too much to handle for me now. That's why I am in a bad way. Will keep trying to help myself. Everyone around me seems to want to sabotage what I do and there are NO compliments. I never could imagine my situation (if they really understood it) could make someone jealous but appearances are seeming to do just that.

Recently I have this ugly hunk of fat hanging around my bellybutton and I never had that before. Or maybe I'm just looking at myself more. The changing shape of the body really bothers me. My lifestyle has drastically changed though in recent months and a part of the reason the fat is hanging there is because I did lose weight and the loose skin seems to just be accumulating there in front. I think I will target that with lots of ab exercises and it should melt away too.

Right now I am really retaining water. I can feel it and I can see it on my face, so that would make sense that it's all over. Unlike fat, it does distribute very well. I guess it's pms-related. I used to be like clockwork and I could definitely say it was pms but now as I get older the hormones are screwing up and not something I can read.

I also don't get the blast of endorphins I used to because I've just been too busy and that means no exercise for me because my work is writing at the computer. Ugh!!

I have to leave for the racetrack soon and I will try to not sabotage myself with post-work drinks or overeating of the free press food.

chickadee -- Thank you. Ok, I will try not to give up. I have always been bad about doing it for myself or rather, I can, but I don't continue unless I think someone is watching who appreciates it or at least says something nice. I can't imagine the scale not moving for three weeks. Well, then again, I can because it does but because I like to weigh often I can see it going up and down and even though it stays overall the same at least there is movement. ...uh, yeah.... But if all of a sudden you had 3 lbs go, then I will hope the same is going to happen to me. I do not feel good at all and am hoping it is pms-related. Since I'm older now the hormones are all screwed up and so I can't tell what is what anymore like I used to. But again, doing things for myself and feeling good about them is a near impossibility with me. I think it somehow comes from not being able to deal with a lot of jealousy that crops up from others. Jealousy or their own feelings of self-hate, I don't know, but the other night I was out with a co-worker who I thought was a friend and she started really laying into me telling me everything I was doing wrong. I was like, what?!?! I guess she was really drunk and something else was coming out. I have seen her act pretty unbalanced before too. But, this was the first time she laid into me so strongly and all that in guise of "caring." But I realized later it wasn't caring at all. It was more her just wanting to criticize me. So, it ruined that night and all of yesterday because I was so down and angry with myself for having gone out with her. Damn! A real waste of money. Anyhow, thank you again.

ellabella -- Thank you for your words of support. I had to laugh at the "get the T-shirt"...lol! So, where do I get this T-shirt? I think I should have a closet full. Yeah, you're so right about the looking old. When you're younger you can look pleasantly chubby and lush and all that, but when you're over 50 you just look dumpy. Here in Japan, they are so down on anyone past their late 30s even. It is really getting to me. What's worse is that the women are just as down on themselves. I am very happy to hear that I can complain, rant and rave here because I need to do that and feel bad doing it. Thanks again, I will keep on trying.

Marie -- Thanks. I will keep at it. This is MY fight.

glynne -- Yes, I will try to find something that works for me. I don't think I can handle the pigout meal or allowing myself something, because when I do I simply can't stop. If I could stop I wouldn't have gotten to where I am now in the first place. There has to be some other way that will work for me though. Perhaps setting a weight goal and when I reach that allow something I really want. I wish I had a trainer but they are too expensive and I have no "friends" that really want me to lose weight, or rather they just don't care. Everyone I know is just too easy on themselves, too complacent with being mediocre and that is not what I want. So, yeah, it does have to be for me even if I feel alone about it. I wish people would recognize and respect that, but they don't. I don't understand that because I always respect their wishes and try to support them in their goals unless I feel they are extremely unhealthy. Maybe they see my goals as the same, but to me "the hard way" is not unhealthy, it's just hard. I don't go around telling people to "not worry" or "go easy on themselves" if I know that achieving their goal is going to mean a LOT of hard work. People tell me I'm too ambitious or a high-achiever. Like what's wrong with that?!?! What is it these days where mediocrity and/or laziness is something to be accepted? I just don't get it. I think I'm just around the wrong people, that's all.

Karen31 -- Really, I don't ever remember anyone feeling so down and frustrated as I do I am sorry you felt the same way but, at the same time, glad to hear I'm not alone. Everyone is always so positive that it makes me feel worse, like I am double, triply cursed because the weight doesn't come off. And no, I am not looking for 5-10 lbs a week. I am looking for 1 or 2 and don't see that. I did at one point but not now and that is what is killing me. I put my weight on the calendar and so, unfortunately, I see it and see the same old numbers. I get a teeny bit excited about a "low" and then see that I had the same number three weeks ago. One thing, however, that does help is when I put the numbers on a graph and can see an overall downward drop. Must start using the graph again. I think I get thinking that we should be able to take it off as easily as we put it on, the same as with spending money and earning money. And maybe I have had some great times when the money did come in easily or the weight did come off easily but not anymore for either of them! I guess we just have to do what is needed. I wish people would appreciate the huge effort it takes to keep in shape but they don't. They seem more to just get jealous about it and want to sabotage you. That too, will just be something I have to learn to handle better.

Last edited by redballoon; 11-26-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #439  

Hi everyone we got home a few hrs ago the dh is allready napping, the roads where icy all the way. I had such a fun thanksgiving. i didnt over do the food tho. my dr visit was awsome,ive lost 127 # and he has referred me to a plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck. hope my ins will approve as thats one thing id love to get rid of.the nutrionest wants me to bump up my protein to 80 grms aday other than that im doing great. i did go to the movies and i fit in the seat another nsv.it was so much fun. we went to black friday sales at wallmart at 10 pm thanksgiving nite, as my gs wanted one of the laptops on sale for 248$. he was 10th in line and waited 4 hrs.and we tried to navigate the throngs.. it was nuts. people rude,unmoving fighting,cheating,slapping,hairpulling and stealing. they had big beefy security guys all over sp by the big elctronics. my dd and gdd and I parked near the laptop line and watched, what a show and never again.if id known they had a flat screen 40 inch tv for 248 i would have waited to get one but when i found the line went the whole length of the store. ive read the posts and to many to comment except welcome back issabella you where missed. i think we all have so much to be thankful for dont we i'll post pictures on facebook. im glad to be home (((hugs))) rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 11-26-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #440  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

We had a nice Thanksgiving. It was kind of a nice relaxing day. Had time in the morning to get the laundry and other stuff done to go back to work the next day. Baked the Thanksgiving dessert. Sara and her family were having Thanksgiving mid day at her husband’s family’s house. Other years, we had all gotten together at Sara’s house. But I think Sherry (Sara’s mil) likes to cook a Thanksgiving dinner and have left overs and stuff and enjoy having them come to her house. Sara likes to do a turkey and the “fixings” too. She didn’t need my help with her turkey until later in the afternoon. Went over there then and helped her stuff her bird and get it in the oven, then came back home while she and Robert’s brother took the dogs for a walk. Got a chance to do some little things I had been wanting to do, but hadn’t gotten around to. It is always a good feeling to accomplish something even if it is only a little bit.

I did pretty good with the eating. I took a little bit of everything. I did have seconds of the stuffing and gravy, but not too big a portion.

The dinner ended up being late ~ around 8pm, then they were wanting to get done so as to head out for some of the early shopping. I felt kind of bad the whole thing was kind of hurry up ~ cook it, eat it and get it over and done with. However even that kind of gathering was way better than how it was when I lived in North Carolina. There, my work would not let us have days off around the holiday. So, those of us with family out of state ~ had to miss out and could never get to be with them. I would sit home alone while Steve went and got to be with the family. I hated holidays then. So, even though this was a rushed one, it was better than how it used to be.

Jason got invited to a former girlfriend’s family’s gathering. (Don’t know if they are getting back together or just being friends or what.) He had hoped that because her family’s gathering was in the afternoon that he could make it to Sara’s too, but he got there just as we were cleaning everything up.

Steve researched the adds and had his shopping all planned. He didn’t experience any rowdy crowds. But he did stand in line for 3 hours at the Toys-R-Us to get some play dough for Maddie. I wouldn’t have done that. He thought he would come back home and head out again in the morning, but ended up staying out all night and got back at 8am in time for me to have the vehicle to go to work. He met up with Sara at Kohl’s at 3am. Robert got mixed up in a rowdy group at Walmart while waiting in line for a computer. I haven’t heard the details of that yet, but Sara said he was ok. Seems like most of the troubles I heard about with the Black Friday shopping happened at Walmarts. It is awful the way people act.

Two days down ~ two more to go. Wednesday was a horrible day and the people who were there on Thursday said that one was horrible as well. Friday and today thankfully were better. It was fairly (shhhh ~ I don’t want to say the Q word and jinx things)…….. today. Ended up cleaning the desk and chart rack and things at the nurses station. The lady before me used to do that every morning ~ move everything around and wipe everything down, but there is no time for that now-a-days. Most mornings I hit the floor running and cleaning ~ well there is just no time for extras. We rearranged one of the computers at the desk. Our nurses station is really small and I think was built before they started using computers. The one end of the desk is not user friendly at all. The person sitting in that spot can not put their legs under the desk, but have to sit straddling the drawers. The charge nurse asked had it always been that way ~ I told her it had for the 5 years I have been there. So we moved stuff around and got it to where the person sitting in that spot will now be able to get their legs up under the desk. Hope our other coworkers like it.

Well, I’d better quit playing around and head to bed.

Have a good rest and take care
Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #441  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG,s

thanksgiving is officially over, and most of the leftovers are a thing of the past. I give thanks for that! Getting through holidays is difficult. I always make too much and way too many things I shouldn't eat. turkey is fine, but all the other things not so great. Still cleaning, but not quite so crazy. I did get a lot done. and it really needed to be done, so i'm glad I got that crazy cleaning mood. I didn't do the midnight madness sales either. I get crazy when someone tries to cut in front of me. I hate that and I have no problem letting them know. My husband gets really annoyed and tells me not to do that, but after i've stood in line I think it takes a lot of nerve to try to cut. Last time some one did that I called the guard and told him to get her out of line or I would. Since she was about twice my size maybe my DH was just trying to keep me from getting killed!

Gayle, Clean at work? Please come work at my place! The floors are cleaned but the desk tops are never touched unless I, or one of the aids, happen to have a spare moment and try to do a little something. I do wipe the phones and the keyboards down, but that is about the extent of cleaning.

Red, We've all had those times when the scale just didn't move, reguardless of how hard we were trying. And it's so frustrating. And finding time to exercise is not easy when you're working all the time. But instead of taking 30 min. to exercise, could you fit in 10 min. a few times a day? And I add extra steps whenever I can. I take the stairs at work. I park in the back of parking lots. Every little bit counts. Please don't give up. Come here and vent any time you want. we've all been there.

Rosie. Yeah!! You are awsome lady!

Jess, I'd much rather go into a cleaning frenzy than do paper work! That is soemthing I really have to force myself to do, so, yes, you were very productive!

Karen31, Have you found the house you want to buy yet? I cannot imagine moving again. Just cleaning out all the junk i've some how managed to collect is too much.

Mary, I keep some of the turkey and dressing and cranberry sauce and the rest, especially desserts, are either sent away or scrapped. I have such a hard time throwing away food. It took me a long time to decide that it was better in the garbage than in me. You know, all those starving children in India that our mom's told us about.

Rie, Isn't it fun seeing old friends and catching up? Glad you had fun. And good luck on the tournament. Go kick A-- and take names!!!

Karenfl, Those oranges sound so good. I bought oranges last night and they were so sour! I've seen the honeybell advertised on QVC but never had then. Are they really that much better?

Marie, Another Boss fan!!! I've just been to one of his concerts but it was awsome. It must have been 100 degrees and they kept coming onstage and pouring cold water on Bruce. Imagine Bruce in a WET white t-shirt!

Chickey, I exercise at home too. I agree with some of the other that hate going out. I have my exercise over by the time I could get ready to go and drive there. You do have to be a little more disaplined, I think. I walk on the treadmill while I watch TV. If you have a program that you enjoy watching, choose that time and don't watch the show unless you're exercising. I lift weights while i'm watching TV too. I got a tape at the library and have a routine that I do. Don't worry what everyone else thinks about how your thumb looks. Keep it clean and dry so it will heal. When do you start with rehab?

Z, Yes, I just started eating right and exercisng and the cycle finally broke. I do think it might have been the exercising strenghtening my lungs tha helped, but getting fit did make a difference. I haven't had bronchitis since. And I always got it in Dec. I wound up in bed every time. I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Everyone, have a good day,

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 11-27-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #442  
Want to feel better

Freda ~ that is the situation here ~ barely ever a spare moment to clean at the desk. Yesterday was a rare day. You will have to find someone else to come do that at your place ~ LOL.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #443  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Red, Zoe - I liked the T-shirt idea, too. I have a t-shirt that says "Lord if you can't make me thin, make all my friends fat". LOL My friends don't like that shirt. I also have one that says "If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." I like to wear that one to doctor appointments.

Maryea - There is a really nice gym about a mile from my home, and my DH and I could both go free because our Medicare supplement covers it. But we already have our little gym set up with all the equipment we need and we both prefer to exercise at home.

Freda - I could have written your post, because I do the same thing as you. I exercise while watching "The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful" My rule is I can't watch them unless I'm exercising, but I will admit that lately I've been shipping it a little. My DH ran a little speaker from the TV to above the treadmill. That way, we don't have to have the TV blaring to hear it over the treadmill motor.

Gayle - I have found that employers never have workstations set up the way that is most efficient for the employees. At one employer, the company nurse had a seminar about ergonomics and keeping your work area/desk/seat arranged so as to prevent injury. I had always sat at a workstation that had a left-hand credenza and I started having pain in my left shoulder. After the seminar I asked the supervisor if I could be moved to a station with a right hand credenza and was told that you have to take what you get. They can't be moving everyone around to please everyone. So what was the purpose of the seminar???? I ended up having to go for physical therapy for my shoulder, and I still have to be careful with it. I never thought of it then, but I should have turned it in as a workers comp claim.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #444  
Want to feel better

Carol Sue ~ my husband was one of the lucky ones ~ whose company worked with him for his work station. He had pain in his arm, and when the readjusted the height of where his keyboard was the pain went away. Our workplace is all about saving money, and I don't think they would want to try to make things ergonomically correct for us. It would probably be cheaper to hire another person, than to make the modifications that are needed. With his ~ it was his office and no one else used that. But mine, other people use it when I am not there and they can't fix it for one, then it would not be right for the other one. Oh well.

Ok, off to work. It is a nice sunny day ~ maybe a dose of that nice sunshine on my way will improve my attitude

Everyone have a nice day
Old 11-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #445  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Quick drive by.... hola, and all that.... have a good Sunday!
Old 11-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #446  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

KarenMO, I don’t regret moving way out of town. The rural peacefulness is worth the drive. You do get better at putting all the trips into town into one trip instead of going to the store at the drop of a hat.

Mary, return the gifts and re-purchase them on Amazon. I have Amazon Prime and ship them to the recipients free of charge. If you don’t have prime, if you spend $25 most things ship free.

Donna, I figure I hate shopping with the store empty and it’s just a bit worse with the crowd. I only go because my DD likes Black Friday and doesn’t want to go alone. So I’m just a nice mom.

Red, I’d say your “friend” is in no way a friend. Surround yourself with positive people that support you, not degrade you and then maybe those self thoughts will improve exponentially.

Rosey, did your gs get one of the laptops? I hope so for all that effort.

Gayle, 3 hours in line for Play-Doh????? Oh my gosh. Never ever.

Oh Freda, I can picture getting a burly guard to move a line cutter out of the line. I hate that and I cannot ever cut. It’s just plain wrong and disrespectful. I guess I’m a born rule follower (except on a highway…) I have no problem imagining the Boss in a white t-shirt.

I have a visual gift for all my GG friends. Yesterday, DH, DD, DGS and I went to Crater Lake National Park. For those of you that don’t know, it is the most beautiful National Park. I’ve been to many but I was dumbfounded at the caldera’s beauty. DH and I go often (it’s about 80 miles up the road) to snowshoe throughout the winter. Snowshoeing is quite the workout and the starting hike is about 3000 feet higher than our house. Anyway, I took lots of pictures yesterday to the point I was irritating DH because I was stopping to take more pictures. I finally explained that most of my GG friends would never have the opportunity to see the most beautiful place on earth as it is meant to be seen (aka in the snow). So here’s your visual treat.
Click here. We hiked about 3 miles and is an amazing, difficult workout. And worth every bit of effort.
Marie
Old 11-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #447  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I asked Jane to put the "Honesty" thread up in the Sticky area. In case you are looking for it, that is where it will be.

Lynn
Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #448  

Oh Marie, as much as I only like snow for about one day!!! Your pictures are wonderful, nature is so beautiful.

Freda, I actually got on the treadmill for 15 mins this morning. I know wow, 15 minutes, but I need to start slow, will get on again today. I need to work up to it. Plus I had to lock the dogs out of the room, because they follow me like glue and I could just see them jumping on too. I love the encouragement on this forum and the tips.

Gayle, we actually had a clean your desk day at work on Wednesday. And a new rule, nothing can be on the floor under our desk anymore. Our boss has been on a micro management trend lately. I think she is bored. I need more storage area, or less work!!!

Started the day out feeling dumpy and afraid to get on the scale for my weekly, but got over it, the scale didn't move, yippie! And my bad mood is gone now. So off to sew on my project.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #449  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Quick post--- we just got back from church and lunch with the family. Marie, loved the pictures but my goodness it looks cold! I feel guilty with it being 37 degrees and I'm complaining about being cold!

Lynn, going to go and check out the Honesty thread in a little bit.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #450  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

KarenMO, it wasn't cold. I think it was about 50 degrees. Crater lake is in a unique weather pattern. The cascades "comb" the clouds and pull snow as the clouds move over the cascades. The park gets about 500" of snow a year. They work diligently to keep the south road open to the rim but the rest of the roads are closed by October most years. And rim drive didn't open until July this year (if you remember me whining about the cold spring). I'll look for a picture I took in mid June a couple years ago. The amount of snow he was standing in front of was mind boggling. Today it is 50 here and if we didn't have company, I'd go tandem biking with DH. Anyway we rarely get below 20 degrees here and most of the winter is in the 32 to 37 zone or higher. Nice freezing temps for the roads.

Carol Sue, we can get bombed with snow (from what I hear) but it hasn't happened in the 12 years we've lived here. Mostly the mountains get snow. DH and I have gone to Crater Lake to snowshoe in May and came home to swim in our pool. 80 miles makes a big difference with a 3000' change in elevation.

I spent the rest of the morning creating two stained glass pieces for Christmas gifts. I made the patterns and got all the glass cut out. Next step is grinding the glass to make the pieces fit tightly, then solder its together. I just told DH he's nominated to do the grinding.

Marie

Last edited by Marie; 11-27-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Closed Thread