Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #256  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi All,
Donna Marie, WTG on your restaurant experience! There’s always a way to work this “eating thing” out, if we just put our minds to it! Linda, I can really agree with you about losing weight after age 50! I didn’t start THIS weight loss journey until I was 53, after going “hog wild” with my eating for 3 years, after my 50th birthday. But, I’m determined that this will be my last one! I’m finally at a “normal” size for the first time in my adult life, & I intend to stay here!!!

KarenFL, I hear you on those shipping charges! Seems like you pay more for that, than for the gifts themselves (actually, I think I have done that once or twice!). You’re welcome for the cooler weather. Now don’t forget about sending us some of those warm temps, in a couple of months when we’ll really be needing them! Congrats on your new mile stone! You just keep on getting better & healthier!

Poor Bobbi! I think you & DH should BOTH be yelling at Home Depot! Maybe then they’d get your flooring delivered just to shut you up. (Seems to work for my mom, but then she can be a REAL B***H! I always take her with me when I need someone yelled at.)

Rosey, hope you have a good time with your MIL, & BIL, tonight. I love eating out too!

Lynn, I sure hope you get to feeling better real soon! I think that "crummy" feeling is almost worse than being sick for real. I guess cause you don't really know what to do to get over it. So, of course we turn to food! Always my first idea - eat to feel good! I'm trying to get over that.

Chickadeee, I’ve wondered about those brownies. I’d be interested to hear how yours turn out. Hope you enjoy your trip to the quilt shop.

Marie, glad you enjoyed your trip. Hope you get your tandem bike soon. At least it sounds a lot safer than most of your pursuits.

Rie, sorry you didn’t enjoy most of your trip. And sorry about your cold. Hope the soup, & rest, helps. Oh, & I think it’s sort of nice when people don’t recognize you because you’ve lost so much weight. That’s never happened to me, & sort of disappointed me. (I thought I looked a lot different.)

I have another question for y’all. When did the word “troop” start to mean one soldier instead of a group of them?! That’s been bothering me for quite awhile, & no one else seems to have noticed it! My old dictionary, from 1974, gives the definition: “A body of soldiers, esp. a cavalry unit corresponding to an infantry company”. See!!! I was really confused for awhile. When the news would mention the number of troops killed, I would be shocked, & wonder how many people they were actually talking about! (Though, of course the numbers were shocking enough, even when I figured out they were referring to individuals.) I guess that’s just one of those things I’ll have to get used to as I get older - the younger generations changing the definitions of words on us?! As if we weren’t already confused enough!!!

Well, I guess that’s all from me now. Think I’ll go read for awhile. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
NCNancy
Old 10-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #257  

Height: 5'3"

Hello GGs! Finally got here! It's been a busy day although I have not really accomplished much. Went to the gym and we biked 25 min and walked 20 min, then the usual 3 weight machines. I'm still tired, hope I get more energy soon. When I take a break from the gym and then start back it takes me a while.

I dropped dh off at Kohls to shop and I went to Target to pickup a few things. I used to rarely shop there but I'm getting to enjoy it now. DH had fun shopping...he got some really nice Nikes and then almost as soon as he got home he decided to go back and get a couple other things...he said one was a military style jacket but I haven't seen them so not sure what else. He thinks he's a super shopper because he gets things so cheap. LOL I like Kohls too but when I spend as little as he does, the clothes are cheap too...but the mens are really nice and name brands. Wonder why He doesn't need clothes ...has way too many but since I used to buy way too much and even ran up debt in my 40s (and changed sizes and ended up giving them away!), I am happy that he can now shop more and he is very frugal and never debts.

Youngest DD called tonight and we had a nice chat. I wish I had as good communication with the older dd, but they are different and I have to accept that I guess. I love them both.

Karen3 - I'm glad you are able to sleep like you prefer now. Must be a relief. I like how you handle Christmas (and agree about the Thank Yous!). Sending the fruit is a great idea too! I also agree that the shipping charges are terrible! I may just start doing the check thing or maybe gift cards too to those I have to mail which is all but one couple. Saving on shipping will definitely help.

Rie - Sorry your trip was disappointing. Are you home to stay for a while now? At least you did pretty well on your eating...not having internet might have driven me to eating. Soup sounds good. I have vegetable beef soup (just canned though) about every day for lunch recently. It is only 90 cal for a cup (after adding water) and I stir in a teaspoon of fiber after heating which helps keep me full. I like the white elephant idea. When we were able to get together with one family in the past, a couple years I fixed up a bag of little things I won online or got somehow free and I would pass it around and each one took something, then the next time or two, they could either take something or trade with someone else. They really enjoyed it and it gets really funny as they start fighting over some item. But with that couple now separated that kind of fun is over.

Marie - Aren't you glad dial-up is a thing of the past (at least for most people)?!! I got to really hate it!! I remember early on listening so hard for that funny sound it would make when it finally connected! LOL Sometimes esp when we were traveling it would disconnect all the time and I had to start all over again! And also when traveling, it was difficult to get online at all...I'd have to go to a little room at the resort where I could have 10-15 min online IF I could connect. Now it is so much easier (usually, not in Rie's recent trip!) to get online. In recent years I have been tethering my smart phone and accessing that way. And even if I can't with my netbook, I can usually do it with my phone. If I had an iPhone4 or better I wouldn't even have to tether. Love the way things are improving technologically! Can't wait to have an iPad ..then I'll really feel high-tech!

Marie - I'm curious about the cartilage piercing. I just have my ears pierced but I've had to have one ear done twice due to the first hole falling. And I think it is falling again (same ear), so I'm thinking about how I can still wear pierced earrings. Does it hurt more to have the cartilage pierced?

Lynne - I sure hope you get to feeling better soon, you are worrying me! You have had a difficult year with infections, pain etc.

Nancy - I appreciate your advice about maintenance. I know what you mean about trade-offs and I think I am starting to get the idea. I used to try it but then wanted to eat so badly I'd go against it but now that I know what it takes to fill me up maybe I can make it work. I notice my skinny dd even does it...if she knows she'll be having a large dinner, she eats really light at lunch etc. I sure hope I can get my head around it when it's time, but I do think I have learned some already and am gradually changing my mindset.

It has taken me a long time to type this as I stopped for a while to watch some tv with dh. Going to bed now. Hope you all have a good rest tonight.

Last edited by maryea; 10-22-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #258  

Good Morning All.

I have been awake since 2 am. Don't ask me why, just couldn't back to sleep, stayed in bed til 4 am then just got up. I have been trying to get my body back to being regular(consipation) ever since the later part of P1, and I thought I would be there by now, entering second week of P2. So, trying some other natural ideas, thinking alittle flax seed maybe. I think my problem is that I use to eat alot of greasy potatoe chips and that kind of stuff so maybe that helped me. (well, I am not going back to those things) there has to be something natural I get take to get me moving. Sorry, if that was too personal, but what I have learned from this forum, it you guys have all been there at one time.

Mary, my hat is off to you for going to the gym. I am lucky if I get the dogs out for a walk. And I love shopping at Kohl's.

Nancy, so it is not just me! About 5 years ago I lost 30 lbs and I felt so good, then I hit the menopause stage, (started having power surges so I knew it was here). And I started gaining weight, and I haded even changed my eating habits but the weight just came on, then I would eat because I haded how I felt or was bored. Always wondering where it was coming from. So, I went on Bios and they helped everything but the weight. Finally, I thought I am going back on SB, and here I am. And your story is wonderful, and you have done a great job,

Dial Tone, we pay 50.00 a month for DSL, and I love it.

Rosey, After all the reading on here about recipes, I think I am going to buy the SB recipe book and maybe the new one that is out. I am still a girl who likes to have a book in hand for looking at. But I will check out the online source you listed. Thanks

Well, DH and I are heading out to the big city (49 miles away, we live in the country so that is like a day outing for, LOL) we are home bodies. Which I don't mind, becasue I love where we live. But I have to admit, as he has gotten older (he is only 57!) he does not like to go anywhere any more. That is scary becasue I am sure that will only get worse.

Sorry to go on and on. But I guess I feel good and you guys have helped.

Have a great Saturday GG's.
Chickadeee
Old 10-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #259  

S/C/G: 318/218/160

Height: 5'6"

Talking Saturday

Busy busy day today!

Our daughter (Janeen) and her boyfriend are coming over and we're going to take a drive in the mountains and have a picnic. Enjoy a little hike and some playtime in the beautiful fall weather. We love the fall!

fall amazing.jpg

Then later in the day we're dropping them and my son off at a Lazer Tag place (with glow in the dark Putt Putt and go carts) to play for 4 hours (deal on Half-off depot) while Mike (my hubby) and I go on an official date in Gatlinburg. We're going to a restaurant that has all glass walls, and is right in the middle of a forest. Never been there before, but it sounds wonderful!

Hope you all enjoy your Saturday!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #260  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Just chiming in....I like bread crust. I have been known to eat my husband's pizza crust that he cuts off. My favorite is the end piece of bread, especially home-made bread or italian bread. Yummy! One of my major downfalls.

My husband keeps all of our old bread to feed the birds. My 3 YO grandson just started eating bread. One day DH sent him in the house to ask me for a piece of bread for the birds. I have to be careful to give him a piece of our good bread instead of the old bread because he eats the middle out of it then gives the birds the crust! LOL
Old 10-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #261  

Chickadee - Want to trade husbands? I love to stay home and my dh always wants to go somewhere. It drives me nuts, and I probably drive him nuts because I never want to go. Usually, I go, to shut him up! LOL Only thing is, my DH is a good bit older than yours.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #262  

Kohls....they keep sending me coupons in email. I get a lot of $10 off anything coupons so I feel that I HAVE to go and buy something because after all, they gave me $10 free. You know I end up spending more than $10. I guess that's the idea. But the last time I had a coupon I bought a belt, and only owed $4, so that one worked out well!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #263  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

morning all.....just a quick question....Can you use crazy glue without glueing yourself? And how do you get crazy glue off your fingers? Arrrrrrrrrrgh!

I could rob a bank. My finger prints are invisble right now.

Have to laugh at myself. Am freezing! It is 54 degrees out. Used be perfect weather before my blood got Southern thin. Talked Dh into going for a drive today. Think we'll take Dash to the beach up near Yankeetown. Dog won't swim in the pool, but crashs to the surf and swims after his ball. Have to be careful where you take him because of gators.

BBl...hugs k3
Old 10-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #264  

My refrigerator has been making weird noises lately and my stove is older, so lately I've been looking around for new. I hate to wait until something breaks then you have to rush out and buy something without having time to shop-around. The ones I have are bisque color and they really go nice with my off white counter tops and floor against the medium oak cabinets. But I got it in my head that I want stainless since it's so popular now. On Thursday, my stove broke. A gas line going to the on/off knob broke and it was hissing when I used the burner, like gas was leaking. DH said it's too old to bother getting fixed, so we went out and ordered a new stove and refrigerator, in stainless. I hope I'm not making a mistake. I liked them in the store...I just hope I like them in my kitchen. These will probably be my last appliances. Now I will have to change all the cabinet knobs from brass to nickel to match the stainless. DH said it just keeps going and going once you get something new. LOL My house is 40 years old with a smaller kitchen. The refrigerators they are selling now are so huge! I had a hard time finding one I liked in a smaller size! They will be delivered on Tuesday.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #265  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
morning all.....just a quick question....Can you use crazy glue without glueing yourself? And how do you get crazy glue off your fingers? Arrrrrrrrrrgh!

I could rob a bank. My finger prints are invisble right now.

Have to laugh at myself. Am freezing! It is 54 degrees out. Used be perfect weather before my blood got Southern thin. Talked Dh into going for a drive today. Think we'll take Dash to the beach up near Yankeetown. Dog won't swim in the pool, but crashs to the surf and swims after his ball. Have to be careful where you take him because of gators.

BBl...hugs k3
My husband said he got it off once with fingernail polish remover. Put a little bit on and wipe it off. Keep doing this over and over and eventually it will come off. Don't put in on and leave it on. Let me know if it works. I don't swear by everything my husband says. LOL
Old 10-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #266  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Saturday, Goldens!

Wowsers, I’m dopey this morning! I started to fall asleep in the recliner last night, thought that was just stooopid, and so went to bed at 7:30 and got up at 7:30 this morning. I needed probably 11 ½ hours, not 12 hours of sleep! On the good side, though, nothing, NOTHING, hurts this morning! Dealing with that constant hip pain really wears on a body.

Freda – hope all is well with you and your back! Did you get cleared to go back to work? I’m glad you got your shingles shot! I’m a true advocate!!! And, of course, bike riding is exercise… good exercise!

Oh, Marie, I did laugh at your comments about being a nudist… and the inherent perils to the general populace! Sounds like you need to also have a tattoo that reads “love thine udders!”… it would just be shocking and shattering for me to disrobe in front of anyone! Beaches, everywhere, you are safe! Is your wrist better? How fun to have a tandem bicycle!

CarolSue – your gift giving suggestion is a good one… however, I would still end up with just one stinkin’ gift! I might bring the suggestion up at T’giving dinner, though! Oooh, new stove and refrigerator! I know what you mean about sizing. My kitchen is wee, too, and the refrigerator is 17 cu. That’s very difficult to find. Enjoy your purty new kitchen! Yes, nail polish remover works on Super Glue…

PT/Zoe – are you back on track with your “voracious” appetite? You HAVE the won’tpower, that I know, so it’s just a matter of your brain agreeing that it’s time again to do this!

DonnaMarie – good for you at Macaroni Grill!!! And what a gorgeous picture! Thank you…

KarenFL – I love your attitude about the correlation between thank you’s and continued gifting. I’ve cut off many a niece and nephew because of their atrocious manners (lack of education by their parents!), and I always tell them the reason why. There is nothing more irksome than spending time and effort to find or make a gift that’s “just right” and never even receive an acknowledgment of receipt. Yes, I do get on the phone and ask if they received it???… and did they not like it???... I’m so glad you’re feeling so much better!!

Rosey – how long will DH be gone, on his hunting trip? How does he manage his tummy troubles when he’s hunting?

Lynn – do you recommend either of those books? I haven’t heard of “Leftovers” or “Elizabeth and Hazel”… I’m reading “Bread Alone” now. It’s okay, but I’m not really revved about it.

Rie – I have to tell you one more so-sad insurance saga… one of GM’s providers refunded the money she had paid in error, but she got a bill yesterday for the same amount! I’ll add it to the pile! I’m glad your conference turned out okay and that finally someone recognized you! Have you thought about carrying a pool stick with you to these things? I would think that’s your “brand”. I think you’re looking fantastic!!

Nothing particular on the agenda today except that I have to get caught up on paperwork. Since I rarely do bonds anymore, I don't even bother with the business checking account or the paperwork... and I need to get that straightened out. Bad me. Bad me. It's just so, um, like, BORING. However, as KarenFL says, I'm going to put on my big girl panties....

It's still pretty here. I took a picture of a gorgeous red tree that I see on the way to work. As soon as I get it on the computer, I'll post it for your viewing pleasure, and I hope that vivid red shines through.

Everyone, have a lovely weekend! Newbies - Welcome!!
Old 10-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #267  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Goldens!

I am spending the day sitting around feeling sorry for myself because of this darn cold! I have been awake mostly since 3am. I used to take Nyquil and just sleep it off but I can’t do that because of the diabetes…. I will drink my homemade chicken broth and rest it away. Ds and dgs are headed to a zombie carnival today but I’m not going. I still have a fever.

Marie, is your piercing on the little triangle thing at the front of your ear? I really want one but I have been kind of chicken. I think I will get the top of my ear done first….

Nancy, when I need to fight, I take my mom, too. She can be terrifying.

Mary, you go girl! Nice workout at the gym.

Chickadee, I have been struggling so much with my digestion. I am also thinking of trying the flaxseed. Dr told me to stop taking calcium for a while but I haven’t seen a real difference. It has always been a bit of a problem for me but I can’t understand how a very healthy diet causes me more problem than the cheeseburgers I used to eat! GRRR.

Donna Marie, I love glow in the dark put put and laser tag. Looking forward to hearing about the restaurant.

Carol, it is fun to feed the birds but be careful about how much they get. Most people don’t know this but bread is really bad for them. It causes them to not get food in their system. You can buy cracked corn for about $7 for 50 pounds. It is good for them. A little won’t hurt though.

Karenfl, LOL I just peel the glue off. Don’t let Dash get near those gators.

Oh Donna, please, please can I have 11+ hours of sleep? So glad that your joint pain is better today.

Well, to everyone else, I hope you are having a great day. BBL

Rie
Old 10-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #268  

It's a quiet, cool overcast day and dh and I are feeling very lazy. He finally got out of his recliner to work outside and I've been spending way too much time on the computer. I have been trying (among other things) to download the new operating system for my iphone. Should be simple but for some reason it's not working. Tried calling them but they are so busy and suggested I try later. Probably everyone is trying to do this..

Rie - These colds are sure going around! Hope you are feeling better soon. Joe and I are going to go in for our flu shot next week.

Need to get something done around here so bye for now.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #269  

Happy weekend every one. Its another blustery day,i was sure we would wake up to snow today as it was spitting flakes last nite on our way home. we had a good time and mil was more alert this time and not to confused. my dh and i shared a denver omlett. we just got back from wallmart. i needed a few things esp the makings for my coffee mocha,just cant go without that. anyways we toodeled around looking at stuff and we came on a display of hats. now i love hats but look like such a dork. feeling in a silly mood i tried on several. and dh had me try on some and we laughed till a lady said you guys look like u are having fun and we were. there where fedoras,felt bucket hats and alot of diff winter hats like the kind skiers where with the long flaps and tassells. my dh tried one on me that was winnie the pooh ears and all, a zebra stripped one witha fusia mane. and a tweety bird. we liked the black bear one the best with ears..when we go back on wednesday ill take the camera and try some on for you all lol, had a good timetho. im now home gorking. hope something fun happens for each of you today.laughters a gift right! ttfn (((hugs))) rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 10-22-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #270  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello GG’s,

Beautiful day here. Warm but not too hot, not too cold ~ able to turn off the AC and open the windows. Can hear the birds singing and the neighborhood kids playing and laughing. Nice sounds. Kitty is enjoying the fresh air and outdoor sounds and watching the birds and squirrels.

Off the weekend. Finally got some new scrubs ordered ~ I hate buying clothes ~ nothing ever looks good. I buy only out of necessity. My scrubs were getting old and frayed, thin and faded, so I really needed to get some new ones before I had some kind of wardrobe malfunction.

Haven’t heard anything from the kids. No news is good news I guess. I’m torn between wishing they would call or stop by and being relieved that they haven’t. Got out of work 3 hours late last night ~ so kind of tired today.

Rie ~ sorry your trip wasn’t as enjoyable as you’d hoped it would be, and sorry you ended up with a cold ~ hope you get to feeling better soon.

Donna ~ you must have been tired to sleep for so long ~ glad you were able to ~ also glad that nothing is hurting this morning.

Carol Sue ~ your new stove and fridge sound exciting ~ and getting to pick out new hardware for your kitchen ~ fun, fun, fun.

Karen FL ~ glad you could finally sleep in a comfortable position. Enjoy your drive today ~ hope Dash has fun and stays safe.

Donna Marie ~ the picture of the fall leave colors is beautiful ~ is that along the Blue Ridge Parkway? Enjoy your drive, picnic and hike.

Chickadeee ~ enjoy your outing to the big city. Sorry for the irregularity problem ~ I eat an apple every day, and that along with my salads keep me going in good shape.

Mary ~ good for you getting back to the exercise and sticking to your MF. You are doing wonderfully. I can identify with the daughter problem. I am not as close with my youngest daughter ~ I love her the same too, but she is just so different from me. Kind of critical and says unkind things about her brother ~ which feels hurtful to me. She acts uppity and seems hard hearted at times. Makes me feel kind of sad.

NC Nancy ~ I am enjoying that you are visiting here again more often. Thank you for sharing about your journey and tips for how you “do” this diet/maintainence thing. It is helpful and makes me feel hope that this is possible.

Zoe ~ hope you are having nice weather in your area this weekend. What adventures are you and your family having? Glad for you that you are gaining control again with your eating. Why does it have to be such a struggle? Wish it easier.

Marie ~ sorry you hurt your wrist ~ hope it is feeling better. So happy that your sister is cancer free now. Your new tandem bike sounds like so much fun.

Freda ~ hope your weather is nice this weekend. Did you have to go back to work? Hope you are able to take it easy there for your back. I’m glad for you and your friend that you got to reconnect. Enjoy the time you have together. I had a situation like that. Got reconnected with one of my childhood girlfriends on Facebook through our brothers. We connected there and had some nice phone visits back and forth. She has since passed ~ I am so thankful for the time we had.

Lynn ~ your NYC trip sounded fun and interesting. Sorry you got a cold and are feeling crummy. Hope you feel better soon. I have been worrying about you since you had to stop taking your celebrex. How are you doing with that? I remember when I tried that and how I felt ~ and am hoping that you aren’t in too much pain discomfort without it.

Rosey ~ thank you for posting your recipes. Your hat trying on time sounded like so much fun. I look forward to the pictures you plan. That description reminded me of my college roommate and I ~ we would go to the department stores and in the hat department ~ try on different ones. She would talk in an accent and take on a personality like what a person wearing that hat might be like ~ it was so much fun to watch her.

Linda (Wannabe) ~ thank you for the encouragement and hope that weight loss is possible after 50.

Bobbi ~ sorry for your frustration with Home Depot and having to wait for you flooring. Hopefully they will get it delivered pretty soon. I bet your yard does look kind of empty without that tree ~ it was huge.

Karen MO ~ what are you up to this weekend? I know you will have a good time together with your family tomorrow.

Hello to anyone I’ve missed. Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 10-22-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Closed Thread