Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #61  

Height: 5'3"

The kids left this morning and I have to admit I cried a little. Our sil may pop in to say hi this evening if he has time. He gets in tonight and will be here hangin' with his old friends. I don't know if our dd will be with him. So that's probably the last time I'll see her until sometime next year (spring or later) unless we get down there. We are still hoping to drive down but our plans are really up in the air this year with our son's house and all on our minds/budget. It seems like things are a lot different now until we can get that off of us.

The good news today is I lost 1.6# this week! I was afraid I would not lose at all so I'm thrilled. I hope my latest shipment of MF foods comes soon as I'm getting tired of the few products I have. This time I selected a lot of different things...many just 1-3 singles so I can try different things plus boxes of things I know I like. I didn't know I could buy single packages before.

Speaking of housework, I have lots to do now that the kiddos have left.

So we are talking celebrities now? When I was young I thought Audry Hepburn mainly because she was skinny like I was then. Now I don't know who it would be. I think I'm one of a kind.

Zoe - I sure hope this is my last diet!! I'm sick of dieting...but I know I'll always have to be careful and monitor what and how much (esp how much!) I eat.

Well, need to get to work...some calls to make, some budgeting to do, maybe a few surveys to complete and then on to the housework.

Last edited by maryea; 10-05-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #62  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

This is the Poplar? tree DH wanted taken down. It's huge and messy but it'll have to wait. I call this tree the "Julie" tree. Years ago when my daughter was 17, she kinda stole a class mates boyfriend, Julie retaliated by coming out to our acreage in the middle of the night and tore up the garden and cut down this tree. (It only had one trunk) DH never got around to digging it up, it sprung back to life and grew 4 tree trunks and we didn't know enough back then to cut all but one shoot off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1096 (480x640).jpg (40.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I still have not gotten back to the gym. Between no exercise and sitting around all day and no Celebrex, I am hurting. I feel like I am at a point in my life where I have to pick which pain I want to have. Somebody please remind me again about why they call it the Golden Years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Lynn, your DF's daughter is in my thoughts and prayers. So very, very scary. And I hope the spasms stay at bay. Are you sleeping all right?
I'm in on the GG trip. Seriously, I would so do this. Are you all joking and just teasing me? Kansas in July seems hot and humid. And aren't there tornadoes there? I remember hearing about Tornado Alley... I think we should find a Gulf town to meet up at. Beach time. I've always wanted to go to Galveston. Gayle could research race opportunities there. Would we all look lovely bathing on the beach??? The GG Beach Party. Tea-totaler Dacquiris or full hit ones. I am definitely there. I'm available after the 15th of July. Unless win the lotto beforehand and can quit my job. If I do, the trip would be on me.
Hi Marie,

I have not called my friend. When my DD was in ICU after a botched surgery, it was really stressful for me when everyone was calling. I have sent her an email and, if I do not hear from her by the weekend, I will call.

I have had NO more spasms. However, I have been limiting myself to not-fried, not-hard foods. Mostly cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese, pasta… I am not sure what is helping – stopping taking Celebrex? Or stopping sleeping pills? Or changing what I eat?

I had 3 hours sleep last night. It was the worst night since I stopped the pills. I bought a new CD player and tonight, I will listen to a GREAT relaxation CD that I used to use when I was caring for my DH.

I am NOT kidding about Zoe’s Retirement Party. Some of the details are a little “creative,” but the get-together is real. I feel VERY close to the gals on this site. I am REALLY looking forward to meeting everyone in person. We have been writing about this for a couple of years. I am going to send out a survey. I will post a separate thread about the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
A Golden Girls get together sounds so cool. I'm gonna start saving up for it ~ and trying to figure how to make my DH see the need for such a trip. What about in the fall when it is a little cooler?
Can Kathy Bates play me in the movie? My daughter said she reminds her of me. (But I want the Kathy Bates from Failure to Launch, not the creepy one from one of those Stephen King movies ~ LOL.)

As you can see, I'm having fun fantasizing ~ had fun dreaming of my double wide in the GG's DWCC, then the colored beach chairs for all of us. Now the GG's road trip movie
Hi Gayle,

I will include when/where/how kind of questions in the survey. I hope to develop the survey this weekend.

Absolutely, each of us gets to pick our actress. My favorite Kathy Bates movie is the one where she has a crush on a singer from England, he gets murdered, she finds out he was gay, she and the singer’s lover find the killer. I am NOT doing it justice. It is a VERY funny movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Zoe, (hand to forehead as she sighs) please tell me that you aren’t joining the cleaning brigade? I know it must be done, but I try so hard to forget that! I like thinking of you in your beach chair at the lake with a book. Were you really standing on the couch? As for the short stories, I have been working for about a year to write down the stories and some memories from my grandparents. I videotaped my grandpa before he died and I have been working on an oral history. I plan to include it with pictures in a book for my ds’s and dk’s. Since we are such recent immigrants, I think it is important for the little guys to know.
Marie, I think that I would do even more races if there were fancy drinks at the end of the line! Wouldn’t that be something!
I am entranced at the idea of a GG retreat. My only contribution would be that we select a location that is a major airline hub and somewhat centrally located. Trust me, Kansas in July is not somewhere that you want to be. Maybe Denver, Salt Lake, Minneappolis area? All have easy travel arrangements and nearby resorts. It would just be amazing!

As for the GG movie.... I think I would be Merill Streep (the recent and somewhat chunky version...) After all, she has been Kurt Russell's girlfriend in the movies and I always had a thing for him.
Hi Rie,

An oral history is a wonderful thing to have. During our research into my father’s father’s family, we found a transcript of an oral history of the family that had been created by one of my aunts. It was in the town’s library and provided LOTS of information that helped us with our research.
About drinks at the end of races – I have heard that in Ireland, they hand out Guinness at the “water” stops.

I think that having our get-together in a place that is easy to get to is a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
i e-mailed my family and asked what actress would play me. my dd said kathy bates,my dh said shirley mclane. i think the actress in Mystic Pizza the owner of the pizza shop would play a good me. this is fun! wonder what the others will say hope your days great rosey
Hi Rosey,

So, can we drive the car (bus?) up to your house from Boston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
The cp geek did a remote controlled on my cp and said Internet Explorer sucked. He installed Google Chrome, I wonder if that changed the looks of 3 ff's posting site? I also have an automatic speller, it underlines everything in red if the word is spelled wrong. Weird, it has a smilies button and an attachments button right up on top.
Anyway, I wanted to comment on one thing, no time tonight. Lynn, I'm gonna sit with Zoe while you girls are out running…
Hi Bobbi,

During my last course, one of the students’ attachments would NOT come up for me. As I was working with the University’s Tech Support, they had me download Google Chrome. I have it, but I never use it. I do like the spellcheck feature, but I miss all my goodies.
Quote:
I am aiming to be back on track tomorrow. I have goofed off too much and put back on part of the weight I had lost at WW.
Hi Gayle,

It is so UNFAIR that it is SO hard to lose and SO easy to gain back! Good that you are catching it before it goes too far. The good thing is that you know you can lose it. You did it once, you can do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Websites often look a little different in different browsers? How do you like Chrome? I use it almost all the time now.
Hi Mary,

What do you like better about Google Chrome? I am sure that I do not have mine set up right. When I use it, I lose all my bookmarks and favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
As far as movie stars, I guess I would be Sally Fields. I have been compaired to her many times.
Lynn, How is your friends daughter? Please keep us posted. And how are you?
Z, We all have to get those cleaning bugs some time. I'm happy when I do get one, otherwise my house my start to look like one of those on horders (no not really, and I shiver just thinking it). I think it's just that nesting instinct getting ready for winter. Freda
Hi Freda,
This is going to one “Star-packed” movie. Maybe we will all attend the Academy Awards. I think I will have Vera Wang as my designer. I have some of her things (bought at Kohl’s) and they are VERY comfortable.
I have one more day on the antibiotics. I am hoping I will feel a lot better by Friday. I have not heard from my friend about her daughter. I do not want to call too frequently. I know she has her hands full. I will keep you posted on any progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Actually, Lynn, we have several writers here in our GG group. I propose a collaborative writing project that we can start framing while on our “Golden Girls Road Trip”. From there, we can all write whatever parts we’ve assigned ourselves and each other, and Email them around for editing. And, I’d like, if I may, to propose a slight change in the movie plans….if she’s still alive by the time our movie starts filming (I’m thinking it would be an easy sell to the Lifetime channel) I think Hayley Mills would be my first choice to play me. She is exactly one day older than me, and, if the woman would just get herself out in the sun once in awhile, I think she could pass for me after I hit my weight loss goal unless, of course, by some serendipitous course of universal conflagrations, she has gained a few* pounds and I can finally relax.
I hope you’re doing better, Lynn…you must get this under control so that you can actually enjoy the road trip, you know! Otherwise, we’re going to have to bring along a ton of Maalox or something! Hey! Is it possible that you could’ve developed maybe a gluten allergy? Just a thought.

Hey, if we go to Denver, we could all pitch tents in PT/Donna’s back yard!!!! (Just kidding, of course!)

Marie, your order for a beach chair has been duly noted and recorded. When the time comes, we may have dozens riding on our roof! OMG, this is beginning to sound like an amazingly good time, isn’t it?
Z
Hi Zoe,

Haley Mills!!!! She would probably be one of the last actresses I would have picked for you. Of course, my image of her is from the movie with the twins when she was a kind of cutsey little blonde pre-teen.

It could be anything. All that the doctors have done is tell me what it is NOT. Of all the things they told me it might be, the one that seems to best fit my symptoms is esophageal spasms. But, it could just as well be an allergy.

I had been thinking about a kind of “Thelma and Louise” theme (except for the ending). However, with the beach chairs on the roof, maybe it is leaning more toward the “Beverly Hillbillies.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Good morning...It was a good thing I went with DH for orthopod meeting. He was going to schedule the surgery 3 weeks from Tues...The week I go to Daytona for the tournament. I have missed the last 3 big ones at the last minute with team mates canceling out on us. You all saw how low my lower lip dragged with disappointment. Redid the plan he is having shoulder replacement 11/13! 3 days in the hospital then home to me. 6 weeks of home care and PT......Gesh I will be glad to be done with the YEAR 2011!
Now about who is gonna play me. Dh always thought I looked like Kim Novak. That tickled me. But the director would probably choose a plain jane like June Allyson or Judy Casanova.....remember her she was always the best friend.
Hi Karen,

I DEFINITELY think you should pick Kim Novak! You are NOT a June Allyson or Judy Casanova!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Jamie Lee Curtis, she's kind of quirky like me.
Hi Bobbi,

Yes, I can see Jamie Lee Curtis. She also had a GREAT bod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
The good news today is I lost 1.6# this week! I was afraid I would not lose at all so I'm thrilled. I hope my latest shipment of MF foods comes soon as I'm getting tired of the few products I have. This time I selected a lot of different things...many just 1-3 singles so I can try different things plus boxes of things I know I like. I didn't know I could buy single packages before.
So we are talking celebrities now? When I was young I thought Audry Hepburn mainly because she was skinny like I was then. Now I don't know who it would be. I think I'm one of a kind.
Hi Mary,

I think Audrey Hepburn would be GREAT! “ Breakfast at Tiffany’s” fits right into our “Wild Women” theme.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #64  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Afternoon, All…

Day off, spent most of it on the phoning fighting with the insurance company about Granny’s surgery. I have a new bald spot on the top of my head from pulling out hairs. Bah!

KarenFL – yes, the aspen have turned. It’s very beautiful right now, but it’ll peak this weekend and then start to look dead and wintery. I hope we HAVE a winter this year! It sounds like you’re doing really well. Don’t clean too much! It’ll make you sick again. Are June Allyson or Kim Novak still alive to play you in the movie?

Rie – I wondered, too, about your beet story and why your neighbors didn’t come and help? That surprised me! I would have expected the ending of that story to be “and we all worked into the night and then had a big celebration feast!”

And I’d LOVE to have the GGGathering in my neck of the woods . If it’s in KS with the heat or on a beach with the heat, I fear I feel a headache coming on…. There’s a place called GlenIsle not too far up in the mountains, and it’s reasonably priced… cabins, meals, activities… whatever. No beach, though. I’d even consider cleaning my house for you!

Lynn – how is your friend’s DD? Good thoughts, of course…! How are you feeling? I hope you can eventually start to eat real food again; your list of “acceptable” is BORING and cannot be abided for very long!

Bobbi – any news? I’m happy that you’ll join me and PT/Zoe as we lounge… Just read your allergist results… good news! I’m sorry to see a lovely Maple go away, but it’s for the greater good. And hardwood floors… nice! I hope you’re healthy and have no more migraine recurrences. Is Charlie allowed back in the bedroom now?

Well, I hope that Julie Tart got HERS…. Imagine, tearing up someone’s garden over some stinkin’ boy!

PT/Zoe – sounds like you had a fine b’day celebration for your DD. I already have a portable fold-up travel rocker, so I’m set for the GGGathering! You’ve put some thought into this, it seems, and have the travel arrangements pretty well set. When do you go for your first consulting consult?

Freda – I’m allergic to sulfa (I guess… it doesn’t like me, at least). I think we might be twinnies, too, in a lot of ways! I hope your back is better… I don’t envy you the MRI. Oh, I do not do well in confined spaces and usually need a LOT of Valium. I do hope you get the opportunity to go and see the colors before the white stuff falls.

So, in the “Golden Girls’ Road Trip & Zoe’s Retirement Party & 5 k walk/run Movie”, who will play each of us? This could be an interesting activity, Goldens, giving each other feedback! So far, Shirley McLaine for Lynn; Ann Bancroft/Hayley Mills (Hayley Mills???????? OMG, I still think of her in that twin movie she was in a thousand years ago!!) for Zoe…. Who else? Gayle wants Kathy Bates (the good version). Rie wants Meryl Streep… this is getting to have a fine, fine cast…. Oh, gee, can’t you see Katie Holmes as me, maybe (snorts and guffaws abound, I can hear you!!)? I had thought that a blonde Tyne Daly might work for Rosey… Sally Fields for Freda… oh, definitely, Jamie Lee Curtis for Bobbi! Dolly Parton for KarenFL (because of the sense of humor they both have)...

Marie – glad your hip has quit twinge-ing. Just WAIT… but I can tell you that OldAge Sucks!

Mary – glad you’re still doing well with your program. I’m on day #3 of mine, no problems. Very easy, very doable, very effective. I must have been in the right frame of mind this time, because I usually have to fight the cravings and the naughty devils in my head!

Nothing much to report.... I'm enjoying my day off and am just catching up on things... nice, very nice!

Everyone, hope all is well! Any Newbies - welcome!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #65  

Hi everyone. yeehah im happly washing clothes. never thought id enjoy that but the dryer was delivered and installed this am. the delivery guys told me the dryer was sitting at home depot since they brought the washer last week,they had our name spelled wrong grr i was on the phone evry day getting the run around but finally i can wash clothes. Not thinking good thoughts about home depot right now. its cool and cloudy this aft noon and hard frost agin last nite. im really enjoying this movie thing. i think we are cast well and driving to alaska,s a long trip but i have a big house. i wish i could join all of you but travel is a bit difficult for me right now,howver i'll be there in spirit and take lots of pics to share. have agreat day all you know what i will be doing ((hugs))) rosey
Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!
Just wanted to say Hello. I have been in the midst of a busy day and don't have time to post. I am loving the get together idea/plans.

Have a great evening!

rie
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #67  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hey, for those of you who only remember Haley Mills as a 12-year-old, here's what she looks like today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hayley-Mills.jpg (35.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #68  
Donna

Okay, Ellabella... she does look like you!

Now, then... I ran across this passage in a book. Does it remind anyone of anyone? "Rarely had Jamie seen lime green and purple used together with such abandon. Harem pants billowed around her hips and tucked in at her ankle; a hip-length vest, sprinkled heavily with crystal bead, sparkled like a fireworks display. She wore gold tennis shoes, and her fingernails were a deep scarlet that matched her lipstick."

Lynn and I were posting at the same time, which is why mine is redundant in places...
Old 10-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

OK, I'm home and even after all that happened I've been thinking about the GG get together!!! I've been told that I look like Barbara Mandrell, Tanya Tucker and Nancy Sinatra---So who knows???

I am really tired tonight but had to weigh in on this subject. I hope to get back on a schedule in the next couple days! Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #70  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Caddy K ~ I saw a pic of you that you posted once and you sort of looked a little like Reba McIntyre to me.

Bobbi ~ that picture she has on FB with her standing beside the red sports car with Charlie by her side and she has a big hat on ~ in that picture she reminded me of that lady Olympia Dukakis ~ the one who was in Steel Magnolias.

I hope I have not offended either of you ~ when my daughter told me that I sort of looked like Kathy Bates, the only thing I had seen her in was one of those creepy Stephen King movies, and I felt sort of bad that my daughter thought I looked like her. Now that I have seen her in other things ~ I don't mind the comparison. I have always hesitated then to mention to someone that they looked like/reminded me of some famous person ~ worrying ~ that perhaps they would not be thrilled with the comparison.

Zoe ~ the picture of Haley Mills does look like you.

When I read that Rosey felt that she would probably not be able to travel ~ I felt kind of sad about that. I wonder if it would be possible to do Skype so that if someone was not able to come ~ they could still be part of it in a way.

One day down ~ two to go. It was a pretty good day. Hope the next two are nice as well.

I did pretty good with the food today. Gotta be more firm with myself in the morning when that alarm goes off ~ about getting out of that bed and on my bike. I like my bike, but am having a hard time making myself get out of bed earlier than usual.

Hope you all are having a nice evening.

Take care
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Gayle. I'll take Reba too! When my little sister took all the slides and put them on VHS she used Reba music behind all my pictures!!

WOW! Zoe, she really does look like you, or you like her. That is amazing!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #72  
Darcy

S/C/G: 170.6/156.6/150

Hi there....it's me, with a MUCH overdue checking in! I've been staying on track (would say on plan, but I don't really have a specific plan yet!) but have been so busy that posting has gotten away from me. A typical day last week, which repeated itself with various inserts and deletions....Friday... Took DH to work @ 6:30 a.m. (we only have 1 working car right now and his shift started before the kids went to school), came home and picked up my oldest (high school) and took him to school, came home and had 15 minutes before waking up the middle schooler and elementary schooler, got them up, fed, dressed, lunches packed, and drove them to their respective schools -- was back home and it was only 9:15. Sat down to work and ate a quick breakfast while I worked, went back to pick up DH for his lunch break at 11 because he needed to go to the credit union (this was so NOT the plan originally, as I really needed to work), dropped him back off at work, stopped at a nearby store for produce, stopped at the middle school on the way back because that son forgot his lunch, and drove straight to the elementary school in time for my shift (lunch duty/recess supervising for the kindergarteners for an hour a day). Picked up info packet from the nurse afterwards to study so that I could be certified in EpiPen use (1st grader with severe peanut allergy that we have to watch and they figured since I was out there near the "peanut/tree nut free" lunch table, it was one more person trained, which I totally agree with), then headed back to pick up DH at the end of his shift and came home for almost an hour to try to work a bit more. Left to drop DH off at the high school since he had a snack bar shift for the football games, drove back to the elementary school to pick up youngest, stopped on the way back at middle school to pick up that son, and drove to the high school to set up table to sell items for the band to raise money, which I manned for 5 hours after that -- got home about 9:30 that night, worked till 11, and called it a day. I don't know what it was about last week, but every day was crazy like that!

DH was working until midnight tonight, kids are all in bed, and I decided to be nice and wait up for him, even though my work is done, so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to finally post while I can. :-)

Gayle -- you had asked if I ever got that treadmill walk in that day when work was slow. I did indeed! I put on a movie I had rented and kept walking -- but found myself dragging towards the end of my 4 miles -- hips were sore, legs felt heavy, I was drenched in sweat, and movie was dragging too which didn't help. LOL. Finally got to the 4-mile mark, so stopped and got off -- but as I was taking off the magazine rack to push the power button off, I noticed something that just made me laugh (and feel better) -- my oldest son had used it a couple days before and had raised the incline to 15 and hadn't reset it, so my 4 miles was all up hill! Sure explained why it seemed so hard to keep going!

That was also during the time I was stuck at the same weight (to the tenth of a pound) for days...and the day after that uphill 4 miles I got on the scale and what did I see??? The same exact weight! LOL I actually weighed myself 5 or 6 times that day throughout the day and evening just out of morbid curiosity....each and every time the scale read 164.4...no point in being frustrated, it was just funny. However, knowing we always weigh less in the morning than we do at night, it was pretty exciting to see that same 164.4 when I went to bed. Next morning.....162.6!! Finally :-) I've dropped a little more since last week, just this morning, but not confident enough yet that I'll see it again tomorrow, so I'll wait on posting that one.

I love hearing about the GG road trip -- you are all such an incredible group of women and it truly sounds like a Hollywood-made adventure. The actresses you've come up with to play each of you are such great matches -- just the short time I've been here, it's amazing how much they fit each of you!

Rosey -- your ticker must be reaching a point of exhaustion trying to keep up with your ever-changing scale! Congratulations on your continued weight loss. :-)

Mary -- so glad you found MF as it truly seems to be working magic for you. Your pounds lost so far are impressive!

Rie -- after hearing you talk about Walk It Out, I bought it on Amazon a couple of weeks ago. My kids were dying to try it, but I told them I got to do it first.....but after the week(s) I was having, I gave in and let them do it first -- they LOVED it. Gave me a chance to watch them and get some pointers anyway since they are the Wii experts. They were driving my oldest crazy because he's in marching band and every time they were out of step/off beat, he was commenting. LOL I did try it yesterday when I had 20 minutes before I had to be at school, but it took so long to set up the avatar and do the tutorial that I only got about 10 minutes to use it, but I can see it will be a fun workout and a good alternate to the treadmill to break things up. Different muscle groups, too!

Well, plenty more to comment on and write about, but DH is home and heading to bed, so I'm going to head to bed as well -- morning will be here before I know it! Thanks for being patient with me! :-)
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #73  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Good morning, all. I'm here at this unlikely hour (when I would normally be sailing down the highway) because when I got into my car this morning and drove a few blocks, my low tire pressure light came on. It was cold overnight, but certainly not cold enough (I don't think) to affect my tires, so I'm waiting for the tire place to open in order to get them checked. I don't intend to get on the road and drive at high speeds if there's anything not right with my tires. So, what did we do when cars didn't have lights to indicate low tire pressure? Don't ask me...

Anyhoo, Lynn, let there be no doubt about it - I am also 100% fully committed to a GG's getaway/road trip/ballyhoo and looking forward to it with great anticipation. I'm already thinking of it as a carrot at the end of a stick, much the way I held my son's wedding as a goal for shedding those unwanted pounds. Wouldn't that make a pretty good theme for our book (one of them, anyway) - our preparations for our gathering, including our determination to all arrive with our weight loss goals met? Or not. Doesn't matter, so long as we get to hang out together, but it would be pretty cool, I'm thinking. OH. The other actress that I've been compared to is Glenn Close. (See unsmiling pic). I figure I'll just let her and Haley fight over who gets the part!

PT - when I saw the name Jamie, I automatically thought about the Outlander books, but I can't remember any instance when Claire would've been dressed like that, so I'm stumped!

I'm glad you made it home finally, CaddyK, and yup...I think Reba, too.

I am NOT doing well with my food! This is ridiculous.
TTFN,
Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glenn close.jpg (4.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi GG's,

After a day of delay, I finally joined our rec center and had a stud-ley guy give me an "orientation" on the machines. Sorry to say he was about my son's age and I must have reminded him of his mother

Anyway I got a good workout in, really pushing it so as to not look as weak as I really am. I'm sure I'll feel the pain later today. I got up early today and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes here at work. My sister also works here and I think we're in a competition of sort to see who can lose more weight...so far she's ahead by 3 pounds, but I think I'm retaining water this morning from the chile I had last night.

It always helps to have someone losing weight with you whether it's a workout buddy or you guys at Golden Girls - helps to keep us accountable.

have a good day!

Andi
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Thank you for the prayers for my DF’s daughter. My DF’s daughter is out of ICU. If they get rid of the temp and the fluid, she might be released from the hospital on Friday. I will keep you posted.

Today is the last day of the sulfa! Hopefully, I will feel better tomorrow. This morning was my first time back to the gym. I did 15 minutes at 3.0 on the treadmill. Quite a comedown from 2 hours at 3.7. Oh well, I built up to it before, I can do it again.

This afternoon, my SIL goes into the hospital for some kind of shots to his spine. It is not cortisone, but sounds very much like cortisone. Hopefully, it will stop the pain and let him get out of chair/bed. He is getting VERY miserable. He is typically VERY active. He does NOT do well with being immobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
KarenFL Are June Allyson or Kim Novak still alive to play you in the movie?
And I’d LOVE to have the GGGathering in my neck of the woods . If it’s in KS with the heat or on a beach with the heat, I fear I feel a headache coming on…. There’s a place called GlenIsle not too far up in the mountains, and it’s reasonably priced… cabins, meals, activities… whatever. No beach, though. I’d even consider cleaning my house for you!

Lynn – how is your friend’s DD? Good thoughts, of course…! How are you feeling?
I already have a portable fold-up travel rocker, so I’m set for the GGGathering! You’ve put some thought into this, it seems, and have the travel arrangements pretty well set.
So, in the “Golden Girls’ Road Trip & Zoe’s Retirement Party & 5 k walk/run Movie”, who will play each of us? This could be an interesting activity, Goldens, giving each other feedback! So far, Shirley McLaine for Lynn; Ann Bancroft/Hayley Mills (Hayley Mills???????? OMG, I still think of her in that twin movie she was in a thousand years ago!!) for Zoe…. Who else? Gayle wants Kathy Bates (the good version). Rie wants Meryl Streep… this is getting to have a fine, fine cast…. Oh, gee, can’t you see Katie Holmes as me, maybe (snorts and guffaws abound, I can hear you!!)? I had thought that a blonde Tyne Daly might work for Rosey… Sally Fields for Freda… oh, definitely, Jamie Lee Curtis for Bobbi! Dolly Parton for KarenFL (because of the sense of humor they both have)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hi everyone. yeehah im happly washing clothes. never thought id enjoy that but the dryer was delivered and installed this am. the delivery guys told me the dryer was sitting at home depot since they brought the washer last week,they had our name spelled wrong grr i was on the phone evry day getting the run around but finally i can wash clothes. Not thinking good thoughts about home depot right now. its cool and cloudy this aft noon and hard frost agin last nite. im really enjoying this movie thing. i think we are cast well and driving to alaska,s a long trip but i have a big house. i wish i could join all of you but travel is a bit difficult for me right now,howver i'll be there in spirit and take lots of pics to share. have agreat day all you know what i will be doing ((hugs))) rosey
Hi Donna,

No problem if the actresses are dead or alive – the former can always be animated – Avatar-like.

A “portable rocker!” I LOVE it. Where did you get that?

I think Rosey needs Angela Lansbury or Debbie Reynolds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
OK, I'm home and even after all that happened I've been thinking about the GG get together!!!
Hi Karen,

I think you need Angelina Jolie, or Elizabeth Taylor.

Quote:
I hope I have not offended either of you ~ when my daughter told me that I sort of looked like Kathy Bates, the only thing I had seen her in was one of those creepy Stephen King movies, and I felt sort of bad that my daughter thought I looked like her. Now that I have seen her in other things ~ I don't mind the comparison. I have always hesitated then to mention to someone that they looked like/reminded me of some famous person ~ worrying ~ that perhaps they would not be thrilled with the comparison.
When I read that Rosey felt that she would probably not be able to travel ~ I felt kind of sad about that. I wonder if it would be possible to do Skype so that if someone was not able to come ~ they could still be part of it in a way.
Hi Gayle,

When I think of the appropriate actresses, I am not so much thinking of the look of each actress, but the style/personality/character. When I think of Kathy Bates, especially in the movie Unconditional Love, I think of someone who is kind and determined and fearless. Pretty much the same personality she played in Fried Green Tomatoes.
Rosey, do not say “no” so fast. Maybe we will all end up in your backyard! By then you will probably be down to about 100 pounds at the rate you are going. Remember, we have nurses in our group. We would take GOOD care of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2TCS View Post
I love hearing about the GG road trip -- you are all such an incredible group of women and it truly sounds like a Hollywood-made adventure. The actresses you've come up with to play each of you are such great matches -- just the short time I've been here, it's amazing how much they fit each of you!
Hi Darcy,

I am sorry to say that I do not know you well enough to choose your actress. Tell us, who would it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Good morning, all. I'm here at this unlikely hour (when I would normally be sailing down the highway) because when I got into my car this morning and drove a few blocks, my low tire pressure light came on. It was cold overnight, but certainly not cold enough (I don't think) to affect my tires, so I'm waiting for the tire place to open in order to get them checked. I don't intend to get on the road and drive at high speeds if there's anything not right with my tires. So, what did we do when cars didn't have lights to indicate low tire pressure? Don't ask me...

Anyhoo, Lynn, let there be no doubt about it - I am also 100% fully committed to a GG's getaway/road trip/ballyhoo and looking forward to it with great anticipation. I'm already thinking of it as a carrot at the end of a stick, much the way I held my son's wedding as a goal for shedding those unwanted pounds. Wouldn't that make a pretty good theme for our book (one of them, anyway) - our preparations for our gathering, including our determination to all arrive with our weight loss goals met? Or not. Doesn't matter, so long as we get to hang out together, but it would be pretty cool, I'm thinking. OH. The other actress that I've been compared to is Glenn Close. (See unsmiling pic). I figure I'll just let her and Haley fight over who gets the part!
Z
Hi Zoe,

Hayley Mills has got to go! She does NOT have your flair/style/strength. How about Katherine Hepburn, Helen Mirren, Sophia Loren, Cher, or Jane Fonda?

About tire light on the dashboard. My car lets me know when it is time to get things checked. For example, at 40,000 miles a light came on about brakes but nothing was wrong, it was just time to get them checked. So, when a tire light came on at around 60,000 miles, I figured it was time to get them checked – no urgency. Turned out I had 2 nails in one of my tires! Now, as soon as one of those lights comes on, I get it serviced.

About our preparations – one of the things we will need to think about is what we will eat! Given all of our different diets, we may need to attach one of those U-Haul It things to the back of your car just to transport all the food!

BTW, we may need to rent one of those luxury buses if everyone comes.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 10-06-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Closed Thread