Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #196  

Height: 5'3"

I just found out about this. Some of you used to watch Biggest Loser so you may remember Sam, one of my favorites.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/12/showbi...ned/index.html
Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

WOW! I hadn't heard about this and he was a favorite of mine too. That is too bad. Hope he has a good recovery he seemed to be doing so well
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #198  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Gayle, I hope you feel better soon. It’s bad enough to get your bearings after a trip but to be sick on top of it is nasty. It sounds like you had a very nice trip, though!

Sue, you’ll figure the site out.

Gayle, I confronted Kai about using the phone to broaden her circle of picky eating furry friends and she admitted Meso is on the party line now.

Karen, Kody buries his rawhides and Kai and Sasha nearly always find them. He can’t guard them 24/7.

Mary, when the PT wanted me to use the elliptical, I swore he was trying to kill my knee, not help rehabilitate it. I was wrong. The action (on high end ones like at your health club) are smooth and don’t jar any joints. And the resistance is completely adjustable so you can build slowly. I would replace mine in a heartbeat if it every dies completely. Thankfully it has a LONG warranty. I hope the MF foods are as good as the pictures. OK, read further and I’m quite sure I won’t order the food!

CarolSue, I have the Sole E55 elliptical – my warranty is 5 years but I know they have different warranties for different models. My husband was pleased with their customer service when he called them. Hopefully yours won’t break but know they’re a good company and do back their product.

Val, definitely consider an elliptical. Try one at a health club or the Y (if you don’t have a membership somewhere, usually you can buy day passes) for a week. I do admit I bought one the first day after the PT use. But it did take two weeks for it to be delivered. I was in love with it after about 2 minutes. And I don’t do CarolSue’s motion. I going up and down on it like I’m a kangaroo. At least that’s the way I started – I loved exaggerating it. BTW, when you’re mad at someone, its great because you can imagine you’re stomping on them as you go up and down. I admit I’ve burned a few calories on that image.
Much better than eating my way through anger. And the Cowboys were once great…

Nancy, eeks I hate home improvement projects. It takes away from my fun time. You’re a good sport on helping when your swing is beckoning.

Bobbi, at least your grandson is young to listen and not do the bullying again and old enough to understand how much it hurts the bullied. As well as how he’s hurting since he’s disappointed his grandparents and parents. That is a good age for such a lesson. I hope the young boy bullied will be able to forgive and not be too hurt.

Donna, “hail damage” ROFLMAO. That was too funny.
I’m picturing my cellulite and thinking, yep that’s an accurate description. And I did have to bridge my dsl modem to my router but only for using DD’s slingbox (don’t ask). Before the slingbox, it worked just by plugging it in. BTW, you’d never forget SamCat long enough for him to stink. He’s your precious boy and you’ll be looking every couple hours. Might be time for a vet visit.

I believe in the power of duct tape. I suggest it to fix everything and DH rolls his eyes at me.
My tip is if you put duct tape on a wart for several weeks, it goes away.

One more day until weekend. I believe I will be doing the happy dance of joy at four tomorrow afternoon.
Thank the heavens the beginning of school only happens once a year even though the pain lasts about 4 weeks. So I’m about half way through the tidal wave. Nothing new in my life tonight other than I’m enjoying the evening at home, the Bose speakers and ipod blasting. I love music. Today is my no exercise day (except the morning doggie hike). My quads are thanking me. I was chatting with DH and he said that he will fix my Elliptical on Tuesday night when he gets home from work (about midnight) so I can use it Wednesday morning. He’s such a sweetie. So I offered to walk the doggies tomorrow morning (his day) since he has to go to work early, and he’s a sweetie, and I love staring at that big moon in the sky. Oh, and they’re my doggies.
Marie
Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #199  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
I just found out about this. Some of you used to watch Biggest Loser so you may remember Sam, one of my favorites.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/12/showbi...ned/index.html
Mary,

This is SO SAD. When you watch these reality shows, you feel like you know these folks.

Thank you for sharing. I will send up a prayer for him and his family.

Lynn
Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #200  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
.My grandson did something terrible a couple of days ago. A kid on his soccer team bashed some kid on facebook with 3 other kids on the soccer team. My grandson was the 4th person and went along with it. They all got banned from playing soccer for two weeks. We were so upset about it, I called him and chewed his butt off. I told him to apologize to the kid. I've been praying for the kid that was bullied, what's wrong with these kids? We have zero tolerance, as it should be. My grandson is such a sweet boy, I just don't understand why he went along with this. DH chewed him out too.
Hi Bobbi,

My sister recently had a similar experience with her 2 granddaughters. They were online reading one of their cousin's FB page and making fun of her. They were not posting anything, but were talking and laughing about her in a mean-spirited way. My sister was really upset with their cruelty.

In the field of education, bullying is a VERY serious problem. Maybe I have just forgotten, but I really don't remember this being much of an issue in my grammar school. I was in Catholic school & it was generally "us vs. the nuns." Maybe it's a good idea to have REALLY strict and mean teachers so that the kids have a built-in enemy Kind of like Basic Training situations.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 09-16-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #201  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Good Morning Ladies thank you all for being so positive and upbeat. You all help keep me sane.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #202  

Good Morning Girls,

It's been a busy week. We always babysit 2 days a week but the kids go home. Keeping them the entire week is so much more work! Managing the day to day things plus homework and games and laundry. BUT, I can say I have slept well this week. I guess working and getting up early every morning does make a difference.

Bobbi, sorry to hear about the trouble with your DGS. We talk about bulling all the time and I would be really hurt if the kids did that. But, there is so much peer pressure out there, and you're not there all the time. The kids don't want to be different. I'm glad you caught it and handled it well.

Donna, I think it's a great idea to take GM to a daycare for companionship. That is one of the biggest problems with the elderly. You are such a good daughter to think of it.

Marie, Are you going through withdrawal? I know when I don't get my exercise in my body lets me know. Hope your epplipitical gets fixed soon.

Hope all you that were feeling under the weather are feeling better. I can't say i'm surprised at the findings of the survey Lynn, it does seem that things run in cycles.

Everyone, have a good day,

Freda
Old 09-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #203  

S/C/G: 184.7/165

Height: 5'4" (In my heyday, I was 5'6"...)

Wink

Sue checking in:
I just wandered down to the tomato patch to see if anything is ready to eat (I found three but there must be at least 100 green ones down there). And, wandering back up to the upper deck, I noticed a huge box setting by the steps. I thought maybe my daughter Katie had put it there to keep her down from going down the steps, but then I looked at it, and it's a brand new charcoal grill, still in the box! Our old one has given out, and my husband Doug is such a change-o-phobic that he actually thought he'd get a bunch of parts and try to fix it. I told him that the old one probably isn't safe anymore, and we might just consider getting a new one. He wasn't very enthusiastic. But then I remember the other day when the FedEx guy came with a package for Doug, and strangely Doug was very anxious to answer the door. Then I did notice that Doug and he were on the upper deck, and I heard Doug telling him about the old broken grill. Now I'm very curious -- I can't imagine that Doug would actually spring for a BRAND NEW GRILL! Did the kids buy it for us? I guess I'll just pretend that I didn't see it; somehow I think Doug is behind this.....
I appreciate how you guys respond to each others' posts.
On pets: we have my daughter's two dogs (and Katie and Alex) with us right now. First of all, before I go into the dog stories, I must tell about Katie and Alex. They were ready to move to Hawaii a year ago last April, all packed and stuff in storage, new jobs in their field of archaeology --- when Katie, 32, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Katie had no insurance as she'd been unemployed for several months, and by the good grace of the benevolence of our universe (God), she was the recipient of a Susan G. Komen Foundation grant. It would cover all aspects of her treatment -- not the surgeries, but everything else. The caveat was that she had to live here in Boulder county, so she and Alex moved in with us until they could find an apartment in Boulder. They have recently moved back home, because once again, their Hawaii plans were jinxed. They're looking for a place of their own now. BUT -- in the meantime, they and their dogs are living with us, very peaceably.
Solice, K's dog, is 17 years old, blind and deaf. Lately she has taken to eating gravel! She's been pretty lethargic, and then after one restlesss night she heaved up 13 pieces of gravel! We had no idea. We've been watching her closely, feeding her prescription dog food and meds, and yesterday she poduced 8 more pieces. After a rough several days, she had a quiet night last night and we hope that her inability to digest rocks will not be the reason for her demise. We're kept out out of the driveway for several days now. We know that her days are numbered, but this isn't the way we want to see her go...
I think that, at my age, no matter how much weight I lose, any hail damage I've incurred is probably going to stay with me. I keep telling myself, though, that I do love my body for how kind it has been and how well is has served me for all these years. I just saw pictures of Kirstie Allie (or however she spells it...) on Yahoo. I wonder how she did that? She lost an awful lot of weight in a pretty short time; but we've seen her balloon and shrink before. Wouldn't it be nice if this was the final outcome for her?
I've been kind of lazy for the last two days, but today the sun is shining and I'm going to take Laika (the other dog) for a walk. I like to do the three-mile loop (it's really a vigorous workout, pretty severely uphill for half the way), but she has had two knees and a hip (or is it two hips and a knee) replaced, and she can only do about a mile right now. I'll do that, drop her off at home, and head out again. Katie found Laika as a malnourished puppy on a reservation in South Dakota three years ago, and these surgeries are a result of that malnourishment. Katie was on an archaeology survey.
Now it's time to hit the trail with Laika.I weighed in today, and have lost 4.1# in two weeks . I'm okay with that! And I really intend to see this thing through to my goal.
Sue
Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #204  

S/C/G: 184.7/165

Height: 5'4" (In my heyday, I was 5'6"...)

"to keep her DOG from going down the steps...."

But at the same time the FedEx guy was here, he delivered a new computer for Doug, so I wasn't at all curious as to why they were talking about the grill.

to clarify: Katie and Alex are my daughter and her boyfriend; Solice and Laika are the dogs!!

Sue
Old 09-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #205  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG’s,

I have a few days off still before going back to work. I had hoped to tackle my messy sewing room, but this cold has kind of messed things up ~ not feeling too peppy.

So, I can do this ~ feet up and kind of taking it easy.

Sue, Grammygal, Carol Cilona and Arrowspark ~ welcome

Freda ~ busy, busy with the grands this week. You probably are loving it, but at the same time ~ looking forward to getting to rest up a little.

Tea granny ~ glad you checked in ~ hope you are hanging in there ok.

Lynn ~ this is THE weekend isn’t it ~ so cool J

Marie ~ glad you’ve only got a couple more of those crazy weeks left at school ~ hang in there.

Bobbi ~ glad that your headaches are less and less - it will be good to find out about your allergies.

Lyn ~ how was your vacation?

KarenMO ~ I have always thought I wanted a pool, but hearing you ane Marie talk about all the work involved, guess maybe I had better stick to enjoying the community pools.

Mary ~ how is the MF going? Could you share the recipe for the zucchini hash browns?

NCNancy ~ glad to see you ~ have missed you. Hope that after helping SO with his projects that there is some time left over for you to get in some swing/book time ~ you deserve it.

Donna ~ hope SamCat is feeling better. Glad that GM is doing better. I love the idea of the adult daycare for her ~ hope she would consider it ~ sounds like fun.

Rie, Zoe and Rosey ~ hope you all are feeling better.

Carol Sue ~ I’m gonna try that motion you mentioned for the elliptical ~ I have one, but have never gotten so I can do it for very long ~ maybe with your motion ~ I could get so I could go longer.

KarenFL ~ how are you doing? Hope that things are getting better for you.

Koala ~ how is your new job going?

Fitchy ~ did you catch up and get back on the wagon? I went on vacation and didn’t do very well, then have not been feeling very good and so haven’t been making the best choices. Hopefully I will get back on track here soon.

Hope you all have had a good day.

Take care
Old 09-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #206  

Hello everyone! Went to the gym for our Friday routine which is just the machines, no stretch class. I tried not to work very hard since my coach advised me not too in the beginning of the diet but I did all my usual stuff. For breakfast I tried the Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal and I remembered to let it soak for a few minutes...it looked even worse after soaking but actually tasted the best of the three oatmeals I've tried, but that's not saying much. I'm not suppose to consume milk but my coach told me If it helped I could add a teaspoon on my oatmeal if necessary, so I did use 1 t. NF milk. I don't know whether it helped or not actually, but I got it down. For next meal (I call it my am break still) I made my mocha but only used 1/2 the mix, and added 1/2 scoop of protein powder, 1 t. cocoa powder and a little Splenda. I had already drank a cup of water with 1/2 t. fiber in it to make sure I got enough fiber. The mocha was ok, not nearly as good as usual but I still liked having it. If one doesn't understand or want to deal with working out the nutrition they should stick with the MF meals but I don't mind and it helps save money by having two mini-meals I make myself. Then for my lunch I had a MF Peanut Butter Crunch bar...my favorite so far!! So glad to find a meal I really like!! I had it with a cup of non-sweetened herbal tea. Yummy!

Marie and everyone - Don't judge the meals by me...from what I read, most people don't like everything but there are usually also some that they really like. Also they say if you don't like something you set it aside and wait until the next week as your taste buds change and you might like it..or not. So far I've been able to eat everything. My weight is finally back down to my sig weight!! Now we'll see if I can drop more. My bs is also doing much better. It's a great kick-off plan and people really lose. I would probably never have tried if if my pastor and another friend hadn't lost significant amounts quickly on it.

Glynee - I don't know if I can legally share the recipe exactly..I'll find out about that.. but it is very simple... this is for one person if you are trying to eat a lot of veggies like I am but it's a lot ...you just grate up the fresh zucchini (I used a med-small which turned out just a little over a cup but a cup is what I was aiming for), and chop about a tablespoon of onion, then beat lightly 2 eggs and stir them into the zucchini and onion mixture. Add salt and pepper if you want, I did or you can add it when you cook. You can also add onion or garlic powder. I used a little onion powder. Then heat skillet or griddle (I used griddle) with some spray oil...I used the buttery flavor and when hot add the vegetable and egg mixture by tablespoons onto the skillet/griddle and fry/cook. Since my griddle was very hot, I turned it down to medium to give the vegetables time to cook and cooked them about about 5 min on each side. It made 5 little pancakes.

Sue - An interesting mystery about your grill! Let us know when you learn more. Oh, that poor old dog!! That must have been very uncomfortable for her..I hope it's the last of the gravel.

That's all for now, folks...

Last edited by maryea; 09-16-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #207  

Hey everyone a gloomy rainy day here even the birds are avoiding the feeder.i heard from my guys,no moose yet but they are having fun. i must say im ready fro them to get home.its to quiet and daisy started barking at 4 am. she spooks easily when dh is gone my protector it was the paper guy that set her off so ive been up since then. i think its agood day for a nap.Maryea my dd tried MF and did well on it,she didnt like the taste of most things either. she lost but it was to expensive for her,she tried HCG too but messed with her hormones,she had a hysterectomy and takes hormon replacements when she added the HCG it was too much.so now shes back on ww which seems to work best for her.hope the MF works for you.nothing else going on ive discovered that im an expert at "gorking" hope your day is awsome rosey
Old 09-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #208  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hi all!

I can't believe that I am just getting on here today. The day has just slipped away from me!

I took mom to the movies. We saw The Help. It was wonderful. Mom really enjoyed it too. We tried taking little gs to a drop in day care center and he LOVED it. That is good news. Mom and I have been somewhat limited due to helping out with him. This we can do anytime. Yes, I enjoyed the movie popcorn, and the single square of dark dove chocolate that I took in with me. I saved calories and carbs for it today.

Ds is working till 9 tonight. I have some chicken breast, red sweet pepper, onions and mushrooms cut up and ready to saute'. Ds doesn' like onions so I like to cook them when I cook. Mom and I are going to the farmers market in the morning. I am hoping for some fall squash.

Rosey, I am happy that you are an expert gorker! Isn't it funny how you can't wait til the men go away and then you miss them. LOL Remember that when they come trouping in with their mud, their loads of laundry and their hunting tails of glory!

Marie, it sounds like you are doing well. Have you tried unsweetened almond milk for your oatmeal? Just a thought.

Gayle, I am glad that you have some time to rest and nurture yourself before you have to go back to work. Take care.

Sue, I hope that poor Solice feels better! I liked your post.

Lynn, GOOD LUCK TOMORROW! So proud of you!

Freda, I hear you about the kids. Of course it is fun, but really - how did we do that when we were young? It is a lot of work.

Donna, I think it would be great if GM could go somewhere a couple of days per week to hang out. Most of my friends who have done that have considered it to be a godsend to their elders.

Hey Tea Granny! Glad to be here for you. Even when one doesn't post, comming to this page is like seeing a bunch of old friends, isn't it?

Nancy, I hope things are going well. Like Marie, I despise home improvement.

Bobbi, sorry about the bullying thing - at least your gs understood. Bullying is a terrible problem for all concerned, especially the kids who are not bullying but who go along with it.

Marie, I am going to see if I can try the eliptical at the PT office the next time I am at ortho. Have a fun weekend. And, I forgot about duct tape and warts - good one. I knew that we think alike!

Donna, also toooo funny about the hail damage - that is perfect. I honestly don't have any. But, I would trade this saggy butt for some dimply hail damage any day. Tee Hee.

Sorry for missing anyone, I need to get supper on since my personal chef isn't home tonight. Later!

Rie

Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #209  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Lynn, the electronic bullying spreads like a virus. And tends to be after school so its not just a school problem. I do agree it was us vs. the teachers growing up. But I remember one girl that was mean – sexual harassment now that I understand what that is – and what she said stuck with me. Word for word. I’m thankful she didn’t have the internet to be vile on.

TeaGranny, it’s ok to be sane but more fun to be nuts. Take care of yourself.

Freda, I’ve kept with my regular exercise schedule. So no withdrawal. Today I went rollerblading at lunch. It was fun but I am missing my elliptical. Just a few more days…

CarolSue, as I was reading your post about your doggie upchucking gravel, I hear Kai crunching and yes, she’s gnawing on a rock. She loves to chew on rocks. She’s never swallowed on though. At least your pup is upchucking them. Hopefully she’ll stop swallowing them. And… great job on the 4 pound loss!

Gayle, oh no way on a private vs community pool. I love the privacy and ability to swim laps without anyone jumping on me or paddling into my path. And, no one sees the hail damage. The work is worth it and I do love to manually vacuum the pool on weekends. Weekdays are my problem and I will buy the part for my robotic cleaner next year. The part was $200 and I thought I’d be fine with the two vacuums I have.

Mary, great news that your bs is down. I’m glad the MF diet is working well for you.

Rosey, are you feeling better? Is that cold gone and you’re just having a gorking day?

Val, good thought on trying the elliptical at the PT. I’d say a good reason my butt isn’t saggy (everything else is) after losing the weight was because of the elliptical. Seeing my butt bare, I’m amazed it is attached to me. It never looked this good before at any point in my life. Now the thighs, totally different story.

TGIF! Bye bye work week. Hello weekend!!!!! I had a decent work day. I thought it was going to be mean because either Kai or Sasha decided to howl at 4:30 this morning. They got me up 20 minutes early. I wasn’t pleased but we took an earlier hike. Then Sasha caught a snake and wouldn’t drop it (and I wasn’t touching it). She ate it. Doofus doggie. The day got better from there. I rollerbladed at lunch and ate my lunch while I worked. It was awesome. The day was cool so I didn’t get sweaty and stinky. I get to see my DH this weekend. We’ve barely seen each other since we got back from the funeral. That will be nice. It’s interesting – I forgot what I tell him and don’t tell him since our communication is just a few minutes by phone daily. So on weekends when I see him (aka non-Guard weekends), I’ll start chatting away about something and he looks at me with a blank expression. I’m thinking I’m about to have a bunch of blank expressions headed my way the next two days.
Marie

Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #210  

Is anyone watching 48 Hours? It is all about school bullying.

Lynn
Closed Thread