3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~September Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/242111-%7E%7Eseptember-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

Riemontana 09-08-2011 11:21 PM

Hello goldens!

I have had trouble getting on here tonight. Course, I am watching Marie's Packers kick butt! I am glad that this is the technical end of my workweek. Ok, I have a lot of work that I brought home but I am not going into the office tomorrow. I don't have the little guy at home for the next couple of days so I am going to sneak off and play pool for a while tomorrow afternoon and I might hit a movie late tomorrow afternoon. I am dying to see "The help" and "appollo 18". I need to buckle down and actually start looking for a pickup in the next couple of days. I just DREAD car payments. I would like to let my youngest son buy my explorer and he will be here the end of the month. We'll see.

Tee hee. I laughed silly at the wardrobe malfunctions that I shared with everyone. I swear, the backward tighty whities was the funniest. That could have resulted in more than a wardrobe malfunction if the guy wasn't careful.

Karen, glad you are feeling more yourself. I personally don't even consider H E double hockey sticks to be an actual swear word! LOL Too funny,

Donna, I agree with Marie, you are getting skinny if you can wear your pants either way! I had a cheap thing from Best Buy that allowed me to get both cable internet and wireless. I will leave you in Marie's capable hands because I don't think that they even list "cheap thing from best buy" as legitimate technical equipment. ;)

Rosey I hope your cold passes quickly. Too bad that you can't add a little brandy to the lemon and honey (my granny's cold cure) but I know that you can't have alchohol. I am so sorry about the renters.:mad:

Nancy, nice to hear from you. It sounds like you have been really busy. Don't worry if you don't catch up. I think the GG's are easy to just jump back in.

Marie - Go Pack Go! This has been an exciting first game. I am glad to hear that you share my fall passion. (or one of them) Like you, my recreational activities seem to be growing, not lessening as I get older. I am proud of you for doing the social thing. It is silly that many of the fitness tests still use the old run/pushup/situp standards. Law enforcement still uses those tests too. The thinking is that people can't slide in with bad backs if they can do those situps. Crazy.

Mary, I hope things go well with the RV. I got to thinking about uses for zuchini and I added them to the shoppin list. I love them shredded as a spagetti substitute. I am planning to make mock spagetti with fresh tomato and basil sauce from my gardent this weekend. One of those dishes that I can eat a whole platefull - guilt free.

Lynn, praying for you and dd in the flooding. Stay safe! Congrats on your training time. You are there!

Darcy, I am really glad that your son did ok at school. That is really good news!

Freda, nice to have you back and that you enjoyed the relatives. Getting home is always a lot of work, isn't it?

Carol Sue, Monte carlo's are great cars! They also make really good stock cars, Tee hee

Tonight some of ds friends made comments on my weight on fb. They were talking about pictures taken in July. So, he talked me into a new picture. I couldn't get it to load here. I am getting a waist for the first time in most of my life. Interesting.

I plan to hit the excercise hard for the next three days. It leaves me feeling relaxed. See you in the morning. Sorry for anyone I missed

Rie

fitchy 09-09-2011 01:15 AM

So, I totally lost my cool and ate two of everything in the world tonight. I need to retire before someone gets hurt. :stress:

I need a new quote about the virtues of crabbiness, too. Any suggestions?

Bobbolink 09-09-2011 09:57 AM

:wave:Hello and Good Bye. Sorry, burning sunlight.

Riemontana 09-09-2011 10:14 AM

Good Morning Goldens!

Seems like I was just here - LOL Just a quick note and I will check in later.

Bobbi - "burning sunlight" too funny. My dad, the John Wayne fan, always used his old "burning daylight" saying. As a sullen adolescent, it made me crazy. So, thanks for the laugh this morning.

Fitchy, it was only one day. I hope that you are back on the horse today. Hang in there.

Hoping that the water is not flooding away our friends in the east.

Gayle, I hope you are enjoying your family.

Rie

ladyinweighting 09-09-2011 03:50 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just hanging out doing my class. Tomorrow is a 6-mile training (piece of cake). Sunday I am meeting my DS for lunch and a movie. Monday my DF and I are going to a garden.

Have a GREAT rest of your day,

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by akrosey49 (Post 4025246)
Morning everyone. yuk im feeling like poo today.not sure how i got a cold as i wasnt around anyone that was sick.
dh is working on our dd house. he has to clean appliances,windows and floors. and patch holes in the walls and then paint. the carpet cleaners where there yesterday.honestly what is wrong with some folks. no pride i think. i sent them a message in facebook telling them how we felt. probably wont do any good but made me feel better:dizzy: have a great day ((hugs))) rosey :wave:

Hi Rosey,

I am sorry you are not feeling good. Sending you healing hugs<<<<>>>>

My DD and SIL own several condo rentals. The worst damage ever was caused by a friend of mine who was renting from them. I felt TERRIBLE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3 (Post 4025296)
Good afternoon all. I am on my second day of absolutely zero pain, shhhhhhh
Lynn....I think even when Washington crossed the Delaware River it was flooded. I swear Lamberville was flooded at least once a year grewing up and people were always shocked! Good show on your practice walk. Marathon will be a piece of cake. Survivor next week....will have Russell's nephew....yuck!

Hi Karen,

I am SO HAPPY to hear about “zero pain” YEAAAAAAAAAA

Can you believe that Russell has family? I figured he just popped up from some mud somewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryea (Post 4025478)
Planning meals helps me stay on track too at least with meals. doesn't seem to help with snacks. For some reason, my "diet" brain shuts down about 7 pm and I go against all my rules. This is why I seem like I never get anywhere. However if I look back at my stats, I am actually losing but EXTREEMLY (like almost not moving) slowly! I think recently I've been getting too much sodium too and that is keeping me stuck on the same number give or take a few tenths of a pound.

Hi Mary,

We have not posted our favorite snacks for a while. Here are some of mine –
• A few sesame bread sticks with Laughing Cow low fat triangles (I LOVE the garlic ones)
• NS chocolate pudding w low-carb vanilla yogurt w peanutbutter (I use Simply Jiff) and 4 Splenda packets
• Yogurt w sliced up apples
• Atkins protein drink
• Atkins protein bar
• ½ pb & jelly sandwich (I use NS jelly & low-carb bread)
• Almonds or peanuts (dry roasted wo salt)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie (Post 4025499)
I’d love some fresh eggplant and zucchinis I’m envious of your friends.

Hi Marie,

My SIL makes this delicious stuffed zucchini. He stuffs with other veggies and soy sausage and covers with a tomato sauce and cheese – it is DELICIOUS!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancyoyo (Post 4025624)
Hey GGs, my brother said his house was getting pretty dirty, could I come over & clean? I think I mentioned before, that I do that occasionally, & only charge him $20. Since he helps us out with any electrical problems around our house, & our two rentals, that we can’t handle ourselves, & doesn’t charge me much, I don’t like to turn him down. So, I was at his house for 5 hours on Tuesday. It took me 2 hours just to do the dishes, & he lives by himself! (I think he’d had some friends & family over to eat with him.)
NCNancy

Hi Nancy,

He would have to do a VERY LOT of electrical work for me to clean for 5 hours for $20! You are a VERY good sister.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess1 (Post 4025776)

Oh, Lynn – your weather SUCKS. I hope it dries out for you and that you don’t have any problems from it. Did you ever get your a/c fixed, as well as the water leak in the laundry room ceiling??

Hi Donna,

EVERYTHING is fixed. (SHHHHH – I am saying this VERY quietly.) AC, water heater, TV, laptop… everything working again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riemontana (Post 4025850)

I might hit a movie late tomorrow afternoon. I am dying to see "The help" and "appollo 18".

Lynn, praying for you and dd in the flooding. Stay safe! Congrats on your training time. You are there!

Hi Rie,

I LOVED The Help. Did you read the book? Worst that happened for my DD & me was that she had to close down the B&B for today because of closed roads. Other than that, we are fine.

Are you still putting your exercise into the Presidential Award?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitchy (Post 4025946)
So, I totally lost my cool and ate two of everything in the world tonight. I need to retire before someone gets hurt. :stress:

Hi Fitchy,

It happens. Just get back on that horse/wagon (whichever metaphor appeals to you) and hang on.
“Although I have inner peace, I still have outer obnoxiousness.”
“I rant, therefore I am.”
“Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.”
“I might be fat, but I can lose weight – you will ALWAYS be ugly.”
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbolink (Post 4026213)
:wave:Hello and Good Bye. Sorry, burning sunlight.

Hi Bobbi,

ENJOY!

maryea 09-09-2011 05:48 PM

Hi everyone! It's been another lazy day today...worked out this morning but since I've been home, it's been kinda down hill. We had a club meeting this afternoon. I stayed home in case someone came to see the RV and dh went to the meeting.

Still OP today so far. I'm getting more calories than I would on a true MF diet but I'm still within my own guidelines as long as I don't snack too much in the evening. I've come to the conclusion that it is just about discipline and I need some. Today i did go back to adding more fiber to my meals. It has never really helped me eat less at night but will give it another try. Lynn all your snacks sound good if only I could only have just one serving! The mocha probably contains too much sugar but most of my snacks in the past have mostly been healthy but I still ate too much. But I never give up trying. Sometimes I set the timer on my range for two hours so at least I wait until then to eat. That has helped sometimes.

Fitchy - I can so relate with the two of everything and I AM retired!

Marie - Wish we could share our produce with you! I'm so sick of zucchini!

Rie - Glad you enjoy your zucchini dish! Unfortunately We don't seem to like it with tomato. I through out the last leftovers from our last meal with it and it had spaghetti sauce and meatballs with it. We mostly like it grilled or stir-fried but right now I really don't want to eat it at all. Was thinking perhaps we could take it to a shelter or something. I've heard people do that. Our church pantry does not take fresh food.

Well, dh is now home and i'm still sitting here. Better move...

Riemontana 09-09-2011 09:54 PM

Hello Goldens!

I have had an enjoyable day, doing some things that I wanted to do. I got some work done and was able to get away and play some pool this afternoon. I started shopping for a pickup truck and I find that my established price range is reasonable. Now it is just a matter of making the best deal.

The only troublesome spot in the day has been some problems with my blood sugar. I am always completely stable. Today, I have had several low episodes and I sure don't feel well. Weird.....I have been burning through a lot of test strips today.

I like Lynn's idea of sharing our favorite snacks so here are mine: (note that they are almost all chosen for a neutral or minimal blood sugar impact.)

2 tbs artichoke hummis with 6 bagel crisp crackers
single serve peanuts or sunflower kernels - only on road trips
string cheese
fresh cucumbers
Wonderslim protein bars and shakes
Mocha freeze: almond milk, unsweetened cocoa, instant coffee, truvia blended with ice
dannon light and fit yogurt (nightly bedtime snack)
dannon vanilla yogurt with a little sf chocolate pudding mix

That being said, despite the list, I rarely snack anymore except for my nighttime yogurt snack.

And yes, Lynn, I am still logging activities on the presidential fitness site. It is so much fun. I really enjoyed logging my mountain activities this week.

Fitchy, I hope that your day is better today.

Everyone have a great evening.

Rie

maryea 09-10-2011 02:37 AM

There's been some discussion on how much water to drink in some of the threads. Usually a lot of water is recommended when dieting but recently in the news I heard that there has been no real link found between drinking a lot and weight loss. Still diet programs usually say drink a lot. I've always been of the persuasion that if one drinks when they are even a little thirsty it's enough. My doctor agrees with this and scoffs at the pushing of water beyond that. I'm not trying to persuade anyone either way and I do know that many times we who overeat are often guilty of grabbing food when really we are probably thirsty.
So in case you're interested here's a site I found to calculating your water needs. I have no idea of accuracy but mine sounded about right.
http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...calculator.htm

ellabella 09-10-2011 09:52 AM

Well, I only worked three days this week, but can I tell you it felt like 30???? I guess I'm really in the process of disconnecting, because I find myself bored out of my mind in meetings talking about "long-term strategies" and "five year plans" and such. We just signed a contract that will tie up one of our properties with a federally-funded project for 15 years, and they were talking about reporting requirements, and all I could think about was that I wouldn't even be around to report on year ONE!!! (Yay!) That, plus the fact that I think they're all full of sssssssugar ;) and don't have the slightest faith in what they're doing or the reasons they do it - all makes for long days even though the months just seem to fly by! Add to THAT the fact that it's rained here all week long (thank goodness it didn't start until the day after the wedding!) and you have one depressed and miserable fatchick :(. The sun is shining brightly out there this morning, though...and I'm hoping to get down to the lake for a shot of vitamin D at some point. It'll be a tough fit, though, because today is my son-in-law's birthday, and dd is having a birthday brunch for him at 10:30.
Then we need to get our grocery shopping done and be back at her house by 6:00 so they can go out to dinner. (We're watching our lil' twinnies). I stopped next door to see lil' IzzieBee when I got home from work last night, and then after a very quick supper of warmed up chili from two nights ago (I made it with those Morningstar Farms faux meat crumbles, 2 packets of chili seasoning, frozen onions & peppers, a jar of marinara sauce, 2 cans (drained) of diced tomatoes with green chiles, and 2 large cans of red kidney beans (drained), (Very quick, easy and healthy...even easier when all you do is stick a bowl of it in the microwave!) THEN we headed out to shop for sil's birthday present, came home and collapsed. Slept well. Like a log, actually. :faint:
Mary, I really and truly hope that you're right about not needing to drink seventy gazillion glasses of water a day to lose weight. I know that some swear by it, but I really can't force down as much water as they say you should. A couple of glasses a day - along with my two or three cups of coffee and two or three glasses of iced tea when I get home from work is about it for me.
Oh, Rie/Val! So what could be up with the dropping blood sugar levels? Do you need to eat more frequently, do you think? You haven't been starving yourself, have you? (You look even way slimmer in those more recent pictures than you were on vacation just a few weeks back.) You don't want MamaZee to come after you, now! (You look fabulous, by the way.)
Oh, snack foods? Hmmmm. To tell the truth, I don't do a lot of snacking...I'm more a full meal kinda gal. But, I DO like those WW raspberry chocolate ice cream pops or whatever you call them. If my calories are low enough during the day (or even if they're not, but I'm feeling rebellious) I'll have one of those after supper. Sometimes 2, even - they're 70 calories apiece. OH, and I don't exactly "snack" on them, but a lot of times for lunch, I allow myself 20 of those Utz russet kettle-cooked potato chips for 150 calories. They are sooooo good....I just have to count out 20 into a snack baggie, or I'd eat the whole danged bag, I swear! But if I have those for lunch along with 4 eggplant meatballs (18 calories apiece) and a piece of pita bread (60 calories) with a little mustard and 20 seedless grapes for dessert, I'm nice and full and happy because I got my chips.
Oh, Fitchy, we have ALL "lost our cool" at one time or another! That's why we're here, for pity sake! Just jump back on the wagon and keep on riding! (It's all any of us can do, y'know )
Lynn, I just picked up "The Help" and expect that I'll read it in another week or so. I'll be back with a review. Can you share your sil's receipe for the stuffed zucchini? It sounds like something I'd really like!
So glad about that pain having receded, K3. Living with pain is just so debilitating. The few times in my life when I've had to do that for one reason or another, I was so depressed and miserable that I wouldn't even have been able to get online and post anything anywhere. You're a strong woman, honey :hug:.
Rosey, that's one of the reasons that my ex and I sold all our rental properties back before we even got divorced. The upkeep is ridiculous, and if you have to evict anybody, it's a long, drawn-out, and financially draining process. We both worked full time and doing that, raising children and trying to keep up with rental property was just more than we could handle. I guess we just weren't cut out to be real estate moguls :shrug:.
Freda! Good to have you back, chickie! I was happy to see your post! Welcome *home*!!!
Welcome to the world of wage slavery, PT....I have many of those "fall asleep in my chair" nights! Problem is, once I rouse myself to get into bed, my eyes are popping open and I end up awake half the night.
Nancy, you HAVE been gone forever! Glad to see you, chickie! Come bask as often as you can!
Marie, I sure wish I could focus long enough to get in a little advanced computer training. I am so ignorant about it all, but lose patience very quickly with all the little details. (I hope this inability to focus isn't AGE-related! Horrors! :yikes:)
CaddyK, I know full well that you haven't been posting much lately because you're out riding around like a queen in that cherry red caddy of yours! Come back little Sheba! When do you leave on your trip?
Hellos to the Carols and Darcy. I've undoubtedly missed folks. You know how forgetful I am....age, y'know. I beg forgiveness in advance..
Have a good weekend, all,
Z

Wannabehealthy 09-10-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryea (Post 4027101)
There's been some discussion on how much water to drink in some of the threads. Usually a lot of water is recommended when dieting but recently in the news I heard that there has been no real link found between drinking a lot and weight loss. Still diet programs usually say drink a lot. I've always been of the persuasion that if one drinks when they are even a little thirsty it's enough. My doctor agrees with this and scoffs at the pushing of water beyond that. I'm not trying to persuade anyone either way and I do know that many times we who overeat are often guilty of grabbing food when really we are probably thirsty.
So in case you're interested here's a site I found to calculating your water needs. I have no idea of accuracy but mine sounded about right.
http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...calculator.htm

I checked your calculator, and it sounded right for me. I am a strong believer that drinking water helps weight loss but not to escess. The reason I believe this is because of this article I have saved on my computer. The two paragraphs that have me convinced are as follows;

There are many forms of metabolism going on in your body right now, but the one everyone is talking about it the metabolism of fat. This is actually something that the liver does when it converts stored fat to energy. The liver has other functions, but this is one of its main jobs.

Unfortunately, another of the liver's duties is to pick up the slack for the kidneys, which need plenty of water to work properly. If the kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has to do their work along with its own, lowering its total productivity. It then can't metabolize fat as quickly or efficiently as it could when the kidneys were pulling their own weight. If you allow this to happen, not only are you being unfair to your liver, but you're also setting yourself up to store fat.

If you want to read the entire article here it is.

http://www.shapeupshop.com/weightlos...ight-loss.html

Wannabehealthy 09-10-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riemontana (Post 4025850)

Carol Sue, Monte carlo's are great cars! They also make really good stock cars, Tee hee

Rie

Yes, I honestly believe that the reason my husband agreed with me when I said I wanted a Monte Carlo is because he is a Nascar fan! They do really handle well so I can understand why the drivers use them.

Karen31 09-10-2011 11:03 AM

Good Morning! I'm still plugging along here! I guess it has been a bit since I posted here. Sorry! The people that came to look at the house the other day for a second time made and offer--- we countered and now we'll see what happens. They wanted us to pay their closing costs up to $2500 but we said NO we each pay our own costs. I don't want to have to do that and then turn around and have to pay closing costs again on whatever house we buy!

Zoe, haven't been riding around as much as spending time shampooing all the carpets and washing windows---in the Caddy!! I don't know what the film was on the windows but it was nasty! I tried glass plus and paper towels and all it did was smear! So I mixed amonian and vinegar together and used old newspaper and WOW I CAN SEE AGAIN!!

Today is a day that will be taken up mostly closing the pool! I need to get out there and scrub down the walls and vacuum. Then we need to add all the chemicals for the winter and, drain the lines and get the winter cover on it! This is when I wish I was taller than I am!!

There was supposed to be a 9/11 Tribute concert tomorrow in Joplin and Travis Tritt was going to be there. But there was a big stink, and I think rightfully so, that the money they were using to bring him here, they (the city counsel) "borrowed" it from the donations that have poured in for the Tornado relief fund! It was to be a Free concert (asking for donations) to be able to pay that $60,000 back! Well, as you can imagine everyone went crazy over this and Travis Tritt issued a statement that he wa cancelling his concert and he would never had accepted it had he known where the money was coming from. So that was our plans for tomorrow evening but I am glad that he cancelled, shows he has class!

So we will go to church tomorrow and then either do the pot luck after church or meet up with the family for lunch afterwards.

Well, I will try to get back to do personals later. I'd better get out and get that pool started!!

jess1 09-10-2011 12:10 PM

Good Saturday, Goldens!

Lynn – I’m WHISPERING that I’m so glad all your mechanics are working well. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT mention it out loud if you have an extra bit of money in your pocket… you’ll immediately have something go wrong that costs twice what you have!

Rie – did you go to the movie and what did you see? I’ve had “Slumdog Millionaire” from Netflix on the tv stand for 3 weeks and haven’t gotten around to it. Maybe this weekend? I have an afghan to sew together (oh, gawd, I’m already so bored!), and that might be a plan. I love the sayings you posted for Fitchy! OOPS! That was Lynn.

Mary – what’s the MF diet? I know it’s something appropriate and not what popped into my head. Speaking of water, when I took GM back last week (or the week before or whenever… sigh) to her doc, I was told to have her drink just enough to make her urine clear and light yellow, that that’s sufficient. That would go along with your thoughts of drinking just when thirsty. Like everything else, there are 20 people dickering over the same thing, so just do what feels good for you, right?

PT/Zoe – gawd, meetings, the veritable BANE of existence! Worthless, mind-numbing, waste of time…. it sounds like you have busy weekend ahead! I liked The Help, although I had to start it twice. The first time, I just couldn’t get into it. Of course, I had to do the same thing with the Outlander series, and LOVED it eventually, so don't pay any attention to anything I say!

CK – wow, I’m impressed with Travis Tritt. I think it is unconscionable how our “leaders”, wherever they are, feel so free to “borrow” money from funds they have no business touching! Politicians (ptuiii) seem to be under the impression that it’s their personal candy store. Bah, I say… Bah!

Nothing much on the agenda today. I slept until my eyes stayed open on their own, so I guess I got enough. The house is a total pit, as am I, so I might do a wee something about that. Maybe not, too…

I hope you all have a lovely Saturday! Rosey, I hope you’re feeling better! Everyone, hola! :hug:

maryea 09-10-2011 03:12 PM

Hello GG! I'm enjoying this nice day...dh went to join the church group to repair a house for someone needy but had to come home. The bright sunlight makes his eye close all the time so he felt he wouldn't be very productive. I think he made the right decision but he does enjoy helping people. He is working around the yard but it is big movements/tasks that do not require him to see so well. I am trying to catch up with what didn't get done this week...have wiped down kitchen cupboards. fertilized my herb plant (I killed two so only have one left!) and mopped kitchen floor, and vacuumed living room so far in addition to my usual daily routine. It is now time to eat again (I eat every 2-3 hours for you new people). So far I'm OP but the day is young. ;)

Jess - Sometimes I feel like dropping Netflix because it takes us so long to get around to watching the movies. The only reason I keep it is so we have something different to watch now and then (other than TV) and we have the cheapest plan. Strange how we will watch reruns instead of a movie that is right there on the coffee table!

MF (no I'm not swearing!) is Medi-Fast. I have been doing my own version of it but recently I ordered 8 pkgs of their food just to try it. I suspect it's going to taste terrible but maybe it will help plus I plan to take it on our trip next month for the convenience. I don't plan to use it all the time, I'll probably still make my own versions at least twice a day. I have compared what I make with their criteria and I'm not far off surprisingly.

On the fluids. Yes, I was taught that too about drinking and urine and I go by that too. And I'm not saying water is not important. I definitely agree that it is. I'm just saying I personally think the link between dieting and pushing so MUCH water beyond what is comfortably drank has perhaps been exaggerated. Our bodies have a built-in mechanism to keep everything in balance IF we pay attention and respond to it. The problem is we often don't. When I'm home I get a minimum of 8 cups a day and often more.

Yes, I thought Travis Tritt's statement was good too...I didn't feel he was rude like some apparently do.

akrosey49 09-10-2011 05:18 PM

Hi everyone.. a nice sunny day here.my guys have left for the cabin to moose hunt. they were very excited to go. so its me and the puppies. im reclining with a cup of hot tea and watching movies. im still not feeling the greatest,darn cold anyways:mad: hoping your weekend quiet and peaceful (((hugs))) rosey :wave: