3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~September Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/242111-%7E%7Eseptember-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

glynne 09-03-2011 09:50 AM

Awesome Bobbi about the headaches being history :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

Now hope you can figure out what you are allergic to.

To everyone else ~ hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Take care

ladyinweighting 09-03-2011 11:18 AM

Hi Everyone,

No special plans for the weekend. I have stuff to do for my courses – 1 begins on Tuesday and the other begins on Nov 1. Nice to have plenty of time to work on these.

Today is a LOVELY day here in PA. Able to keep the windows open and the AC off.

Have a great weekend,

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbolink (Post 4017475)
Four Steps to a Positive Outlook

Did you know that pessimism has been linked to a higher risk of dying before age 65? On the other hand, expressing positive emotions, such as optimism, is associated with a variety of health benefits: lowered production of the stress hormone cortisol, better immune function, and reduced risk of chronic diseases. If you are stressed-out or anxious, which can be either a cause or an effect of a pessimistic outlook, try the following:

1. Take care of yourself by eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly and getting adequate sleep. What exercise?

2. Express your emotional reactions honestly so you can effectively deal with what's bothering you. I think like Crabby Maxine on this one.!

3. Confide in someone - your mate, a good friend or a trusted relative. Yes, Thank you Golden Girls for your listening ears.

4. View the cup as half full instead of half empty.

Hi Bobbi,

I agree with everything! Including your comments! (Except about the EXERCISE - I LOVE my exercise!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess1 (Post 4017503)

Lynn – you’re such a good friend to your DF. This should be getting you points somewhere… and I know you don’t do it for those points. You’re a good person!

Hi Donna,

I don’t know about the points motivation. If I really try to figure out why, I think it is because I hope someone would come visit me if I were in her situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammygal (Post 4017505)
my pet peeve is being on a plateau. I really have been working hard and I want some results. I guess I should be thankful I haven't gained

Hi Grammy,

To help me get past plateaus, I used to keep a chart of my daily weights. For example,
12 days at 170
9 days at 169
10 days at 168

And so forth. Basically, I typically found that I had not been at the same weight for as long as I thought. Also, I loved adding my next lower number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slmn11 (Post 4017750)
Even though my weight was up and down and back up again all month, I ended the month with a 2 lb net loss. Carol

Hi Carol,

DoInG tHe HaPpY dAnCe for you!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryea (Post 4017912)
49 years ago, a very scared couple were about to get married. I can't believe how the years have flown by! But I have never for one moment regretted it!

Hi Mary,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynne (Post 4018251)
My knees are so stiff and achy. My dr wants me to cut back on the Celebrex. I have been taking it for a few years now. Back along one of the other arthritis meds was taken off the market because so many people had bad effects from taking it. I was concerned and asked my dr if I should be concerned about the Celebrex (different dr than I have now) and she said that the benefits to me of taking it outweighed the risks. I originally took it twice a day, but somewhere along the line cut it back to once a day. I still sometimes felt stiff and always wondered if it was really helping. When the dr told me to cut back, I thought ~ well maybe if she is so concerned about it ~ I should just quit taking it all together. Oh my ~ there was the answer about rather it was really helping or not. I was so stiff and achy with out it. I started back taking it ~ but just every other day. It is a little better. After I have been moving around for a while it isn't so bad, but every time I sit and rest a few minutes, I stiffen up just that quick and when I get up I have to start with the stiffness and pain all over again. I wish the dr had just let me alone with that med.

Hi Gayle,

I have been taking Celebrex twice a day for YEARS! I know all about the problems, but I have tried several times to get off it & the arthritis pain is more than I am willing to put up with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitchy (Post 4018473)
I don't think I mentioned this before, but I have Type 2 diabetes. My blood sugar has leveled off, and my blood pressure is great.

Hi Fitchy,

Several of us on this thread have Type 2 diabetes. I take meds, but do not need insulin. So far, the meds, diet, and exercise are keeping my BS numbers good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynne (Post 4018626)
Fitchy ~ can you tell me more about that anti inflamatory diet? I am doing weight watchers right now ~ is it something that I could incorporate into that?

Hi Gayle,

Go to http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02012...lammatory-diet

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbolink (Post 4018684)

I've pretty much figured out why I was having all those migraine headaches popping up during the night. I'm allergic to something, either dust mites, Charlie's hair, or pollen. I sleep with the window wide open every night, or at least I used to. Now I have the window sealed, the bedroom door shut all the time and the air purifier running. I dust everything every morning, vacumn or use a dry dust mop under the bed and the dressers. It just amazes me that I'm still getting dust on the mop daily? But then we have fields on all four sides of our property, it's all sweet corn this year. After I settle the two MRI bills, I'm going to get tested for allergies, see what exactly is bothering me. As for the headaches, they are history. Sometimes I'll get a slight one during the day, our windows are open in the rest of the house.

Hi Bobbi,

This is EXCELLENT news! I am SO HAPPY to hear those headaches are almost gone!

Karen31 09-03-2011 12:05 PM

Good Morning! I had such a nice evening last night. Well, actually the day was all pretty nice. I got up bright and early at 9:30, yeah I know it felt good! And then fixed my slim fast shake and then played in here on the “puter” for awhile. Got a few things done in the morning and then before I knew it, it was time for lunch. Fixed a slim fast vanilla shake with strawberries in the blender, Love that.
Then I figured it was just time to get those girls bathed! So I got that done and that took about 1 ˝ hours start to finish. They love all the attention they get AFTER I bathed them! Then it was time for me to take a shower before going to the store. By this time I smelled like a wet dog for sure! Went to Wal-Mart and picked up groceries there and then on to Aldis for a few things there. Tim grilled burgers and I fixed a salad and corn on the cob. After eating we decided to see if the pool was going to feel to cold to swim, spent about an hour in the pool just bobbing along…. We needed to do a shock treatment to it (always do that on Friday night after swimming). Came in the house and got out of wet bathing suits and decided it was a nice night for a ride with the TOP DOWN on the Mustang! So we drove around for awhile, the night was perfect for it, then stopped in at Brahms for an ice cream cone! OK---I was bad but it was so good!! I had a cherry/praline cone and Tim had a Hot Fudge Sundae. Really enjoyed the evening.

Rie, I would be so surprised if Luigi is even still alive. He was way up there in age when we saw him that time. I can remember he even let me come up and play some instruments with him, can’t remember what. But sure was fun times. He even sent us a wedding gift when we got married in 1970. And I sent him an 8 x 10 picture of us at the wedding. Really lots of fun times. I guess we got to see more places growing up since my Dad sold mining machinery and traveled 13 states plus Canada and Old Mexico. We did go to Canada but we never went to Old Mexico with him. Enjoy your camping weekend.

Never got any feedback on the house showing. Who knows… I think I will take a couple pictures of the pool with the Date/time stamp on it because we will be closing it up within the next couple weeks. I can email those to my brother and if anyone is curious as to what condition the pool is under the Winter Cover he will have pics with the date on them.

Bobbi, glad to hear about those headaches.. Hope you can find out just what you might be allergic to. Thanks for the Positive Outlook---I have to agree with you on most of them!

Donna, we will be leaving the last week in Sept. I sure hope we can get some good pics of the Aspens changing out there! I guess we will be included in that group of “leaf peepers” that march up and down the highways every year!

Lynn, you ARE a very good friend to care so much for your friend. I read somewhere about a man that used to go and visit his wife in the “home” everyday without fail. One time someone asked him why he did that because she didn’t even know if he was there or not. His answer, “I know she is there” Thought that was a great answer.

Hi grammygal--I know it gets frustrating and we have all been there… Shoot I think I have been pretty much on a plateau ever since the end of April! I just keep bouncing around with the same 3 pounds. Now getting ready to vacation again so will have to be very careful that I don’t let everything get completely our of hand. Me and my Wii need to become friends again!

Carol-- 2 pounds is great! I haven’t even moved my ticker in quite awhile.. I think I will leave it until I can move it down again. I hate this up and down!!!

Zoe and Gayle, I think you are both going to weddings this weekend. Have a safe trip and we look forward to lots of pictures!

Well, hope everyone has a safe and wonderful weekend! I’m sorry if I didn’t get to you this time but I need to stop this book!!

Have a GREAT WEEKEND!!

maryea 09-03-2011 12:53 PM

Good morning! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood and the people are already starting to come to the neighbor's garage sale so we figured we'd better get up and ready in case someone sees our for sale sign and wants to look at the RV. Since our son seems to be taking his time about moving, selling the rig is not quite as crucial (how things change day by day!) but since we never know with those kids we might as well continue to try.

After eating that big meal last night, I did not gain! :carrot: Didn't lose but at least I didn't gain, so will try to be OP today.

I have a lot today today so again, no time for personals...maybe later.

Marie 09-03-2011 02:10 PM

Morning GGs,

First I want to thank you all for the kind thoughts over the past week. It is something I hope not to do again for some time. But as my father is int he mid-80s and having issues, I wouldn't be too surprised if we're back in MN soon. I truly hope not. No offense Bobbi, but I really don't like your state anymore. ;) Zoe, I'm thinking of you today. I read/skimmed the backlog of posts and I'm thinking the wedding is this weekend. 14 pounds is fabulous and you'll get rid of the other 6 over the next months. BTW, the iPad is easier than any other gadget I've used. I don't think I'd ever buy a kindle just because it is limiting on what it can do. Donna, Kai said she called SamCat several times to moan about her lonesome woes. BTW, my animal behaviorist took care of them and my neighbor visited them daily (or several times daily as the pile of dog treats is nearly gone). So the doggies were taken care of. They were quite happy last night when we got home. Do expect Kai to call SamCat a few more times because that husky holds a grudge and she has quite a big one at the moment. Tomorrow morning I'm going to take her scoot-joring and that should make her happy. Val, I'm awed by your anniversary story. You are an inspiration. BTW, you should go back to the jacka$$ dermatologist and strut your stuff. I guess the dr missed bedside manner day in med school. Mary, I'm sorry to hear about the continued son woes. Will you sell the house you bougth for him? Gayle, enjoy your reunion. Fitchy, :carrot:on the lost pounds. Grannygal, welcome and I am sorry about the loss of your DH a couple years ago. I bet you'll have a blast on the cruise. Lynn, I'm thinking of you as your half marathon is on the horizon. Donna, I'm so please GM is doing well. Better than well. That's awesome. Koala, you and I will make our pack to be on track and lose those pesky pounds. KarenFL, antibiotics knock me out too. I hope this your last round. Nancy, how's the swing time going? OK, my personals were by memory and I know there were other new GGs so I will give a blanket welcome and say hi to everyone I missed. I'm going forward from this point. Six pages of 3FC was a tad overwhelming.

Since my kitchen is limited on food and I refuse to leave my house (except for the doggie hike this am and swim in my pool this afternoon) I decided to make bread. I have fresh whole wheat bread baking in the machine and it smells divine. DH picked strawberries before breakfast and so I had some fresh produce. I'm hoping I can find enough frozen produce to make it until Tuesday because I'm not going shopping.

BTW, taking a spur of the minute road trip is difficult to diet on. DH and I usually have planned a trip and have foods ready. We're short on $$$ so we did the budget meals. Aka the dollar menu at McD. My 23 year boycott on fast food burgers came to a halt at about 1:00 Monday morning. Hungry made pickiness take a nosedive. I have no idea on the nutritional specs for a plain McDouble but I'm guessing it wasn't pretty. Not out to eat for a long time for me. I definitely had my fill of junk food. And my homemade mocha is absolutely fabulous this morning. Starbucks and Caribou Coffee offerings aren't nearly as good.

I think that's about it for now. I haven't written in over a week but I did plot as I tried to sleep in the car. So now we'll see how I did. Chat with you all later and please know how much I missed you all.
Marie

fitchy 09-03-2011 02:32 PM

Gayle, this is the diet I was talking about: http://amzn.to/pMrfnw

There are many versions of the diet, but Dr. Black's is the one I follow to the extent I can. It doesn't require 100% compliance to get amazing results. I'm sure you could incorporate it into your food plan; primarily it is a list of inflammatory foods to avoid. There is also a large recipe section in the book.

I would highly recommend that anyone with inflammatory arthritis give it a read.

Fitchy

akrosey49 09-03-2011 07:02 PM

Happy weekend everyone..its cloudy but not raining:) another busy couple of days for me.i was catching up on laundry and gizmo was keeping me company he'd root around in my sock basket and run out with it. it took me a few to realize what he was doing so i watched him for awhile. he has this little strutting taking care of business walk or trot and he was bent on emptying the sock basket and he did so CUTE. i just had to laugh even as i picked up 11 socks on the carpet :dizzy: we went out to eat last night. usually dh brother and girlfriend take mil out every friday nite and sometimes we join them. we picked her up and i dont think we will be doing that with her to many more times. she was so confused mentally and then would get angry at us sigh ,i feel sorry for her,and physically she cant walk so needs help in her wheel chair. she loves to eat out and we want to keep her life as normal as possible but i dont think she enjoyed herself last nite. i had grilled halibutt and a salad yummy. Ive been working on my quilt,sewing all the little squares together. Bobbie am glad you are solving the mystery head aches. zoe you look fabulous in your wedding attire and congrats on the awsome loss.marie i am glad you are home and back with your fur babies.maryea happy belated anniversary :hug: karen31 i so enjoyed ginger and sissy getting there self groomed,and yes i spoil my puppies too.lynn i admire you for staying true to your friend,i'm doing the same with my mil even when shes difficult.glynne hope all goes well on your trip for the wedding.hoping all us "GG" are having a great weekend hello and :hug: for all rosey :wave:

maryea 09-03-2011 08:18 PM

Here I am back again for some personals. I can't believe I got everything done today...I did dust and vacuum very quickly, but I finished yesterday's work and did all I really had to do today. Could of done more but it can wait til next Saturday. I pulled THREE weeds in the front yard and called that my yard work for this weekend. Something is better than nothing, right?!! :D

I've been OP all day so far so hopefully tonight I will do well too. After last night's meal I'd better!

Rosey - Enjoy reading about your puppy. I can imagine it in my head as I read. Sorry about your mil...that must be really hard on her and you too.
Thanks for the anniversary congrat too. Next year is our 50th! I can't believe it! Where have all the years gone...

Fitchy - I will get the book you recommended when I can...right now I have too many books plus the kindle books...but it sounds like something that would probably help me. I don't have much arthritis (if any, not sure) but I do tend to have a lot of inflammation here and there. I have a gene that only 8% of the population has and it is shown to be a tendency to inflammatory conditions. So far I have had inflammation in my right leg...sometimes it seems to be muscle and other times nerve, sometimes it is a similiar condition in my back and I also have a history of iritis (inflammation of the iris). Thank God they have ruled out MS and I think the iritis was at least helped along by my taking Fosamax for a few years. Against doctor's orders I stopped taking it and I have only had one episode since. And that Fosamax stays in the bones for a very long time...my last density test showed no more osteoporosis. Hopefully it will stay that way. My only problem with eating the book's way is that I'd probably have to eliminate some of my favorite foods...like my mocha:^::^:

Marie - Glad to read your posts again! Missed you! Now you better stop talking so positively about the iPad because you are making me want one even more!! I just have to get along with my Kindle for a while or dh is going to get upset! I do love my Kindle for at the gym esp. Last night our son said it will probably be several months before they can actually move...that is good cause the further out we go the more likely the value will go up so I hope it will turn into a year or more.:^: It's very low right now. We want to keep him in there and paying the mortgage as long as we can. We think he is making another mistake moving anyway..for himself, not just us (but of course definitely for us!). And yes, we will try to sell it but right now it is not worth much and there are a lot of empty houses in the area. His house is valued a bit higher than some of them but not by much. But the fact is, what difference does it make how much its valued if you can't get a buyer?! Our plan right now is to go down there, find a real estate person we like (I will try online but still want to meet them), and set up our terms etc., and stay long enough to check out the house and yard and make sure it looks really good. Then we will come home and hope it sells. The bank may still make us pay the difference (it will be a short-sale)...so we may have to get some legal advice but we also may just have to pay the difference to get out of this mess.
If it doesn't sell in six months, we plan to try and rent it. Not crazy about that idea but if we can get a good renter, it might pay off as hopefully the house will go up in value. Really though we just want our name off that loan, that's all we want!

Your bread sounds so good...I'm thinking about making a lighter zucchini bread. Still scared to have it in the house but there are all these zucchini in our garden just waiting for me to do something with them. We have had grilled and stir-fry zucchini until we are sick of it and we normally love it!

I agree that most bought mochas can't compare to my homemade kind! I do like the mocha freeze at Costco...but it is about 385 calories and 3 or 4 carb servings if I remember correctly! That alone makes mine at 155 calories (I use a little more milk than the recipe calls for) and less than 2 carb serv sound better.

Well, dh is hungry so I need to fix dinner...can you tell why we've been married so long LOL He's hungry and I jump...;) Tonight is very simple...I'm heating up frozen Black Angus Cheeseburgers and making a salad (hope to use up at least one cucumber from the MANY I have from the garden!). The Cheeseburger is a bit much for me...but since I've had very little calories and carbs today I think it's doable.

Talk later....

glynne 09-03-2011 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=ladyinweighting;4018806]

Hi Gayle,

I have been taking Celebrex twice a day for YEARS! I know all about the problems, but I have tried several times to get off it & the arthritis pain is more than I am willing to put up with.

Hi Lynn ~ I don't think I am going to be able quit taking the celebrex or even cut back. I quit taking it and was miserable. So, I thought maybe if I took it every other day ~ that would work and be a compromise. I can't do it. I am so stiff ~ when I get up I can barely walk. And my knee hurts so bad. When I lay down to go to sleep at night ~ I hurt all over and can't sleep. I don't think I can put up with this pain either.

And this is messing up my sleep and is very frustrating too ~ I have struggled now for (starting into my 3rd year) with a c-pap and sleep apnea. Have finally gotten the right combination of mask, meds and routine, and finally felt like things were falling into place and I was sleeping better and feeling better. Now, my regular dr messing with this celebrex ~ when I lay down to go to sleep at night ~ I hurt all over and can't sleep . . Discouraging ~ I get one thing straightened out and they change something and it messes things up and I feel like I am starting all over again.

I was even making an attemp to make exercise a regular part of my day ~ doing so-so at that. But with this pain, ~ all I am wanting to do is just sit. I think then that it would be better to take the medicine and feel better than to sit around and do nothing. That can't be good for me.

If the celebrex is so bad for me ~ I wish she could come up with something else that would help. Such a dilema ~ stop taking the med to cut the health risks ~ but be barely able to walk and in pain and miserable.

I'm sorry to be so whiny ~ thank you all for listening.

Mom2TCS 09-04-2011 03:33 AM

Coming up for air :-)

Hi everyone,

I've finally come to the end of my 12 straight days of work and had an actual day off today, so I'm taking advantage of that fact and saying hello to all of you before going to bed, just because I actually HAVE TIME. :carrot: I'm grateful for the jobs I have, especially after this past 6 months and losing both of my prior jobs within 2 weeks of each other -- but now it seems I'm working longer to earn less. Oh well, it's a start!

Rie, you commented once about how hard it is to work at home. You were so right! I've been doing it for 14 years, since my oldest was 1-1/2, so I've always had a child, or 2 or 3, while trying to do so (maybe better that way as I don't have the luxury of knowing how different it could be without kids LOL). I love being at home and being able to be involved at their schools, etc., but it definitely makes for some long days with all the interruptions. Definitely some trade offs. School starts again on Tuesday, so I'm hoping to get into a good routine and find a way to get most of my work down while they are in school so I can have some time with them in the evenings...but time will tell. This year they are all in different schools with different schedules (one high school, one middle school and one elementary school) so it's a little daunting. ;-)

I was doing well with my diet, even though every ounce for me always seems to be so hard fought. Then came the annual extended family camping trip, which was awesome, a couple of weeks ago. I actually planned healthy snacks, ate with portion control and good choices, got more exercise with nature hikes, kayaking, etc., and was really proud of myself. I came home and got on the scale and had actually gained 2 pounds. So depressing. And of course I fell off the wagon (not majorly, thankfully) in "revenge" for a couple of days until things straightened out again and I had a loss, which then made me try harder. Crazy how the scale can do that to us, isn't it? My biggest stumbling block is still the exercise part, and trying to find the time to incorporate that with work and with the kids and school, but I'm determined. For now, it will just be walking -- if finances improve, a gym would be awesome, as I know that building muscle will help keep my metabolism going (not to mention the other benefits). I have a little under 2 months left to prove to my doctor that I can lower my lab values on my own without more diagnoses and meds, so I'm focused on that short term, and on me long term. :-)

I'm really hoping to be a more regular member soon, once school routines and work fall into place, and, like Fitchy, doing personals once I've been around more frequently. Thank you all for the warm welcome -- you are an amazing group of women and I look forward to getting to know you all better and sharing this journey we are all on!

Karen31 09-04-2011 09:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Good Morning!! We are waking up to a nice cool (65 degree) rainy Sunday morning! We so needed this rain and so far it has been a nice slow steady rain since about 5:00 this morning.

We're getting ready for church and then meeting the family at "Charlies Chicken" for lunch... Never been there so guess I'll have to do some checking on the internet and see if they have a menu before we go. I LOVE my Sundays!!

I guess I need to explain why my avatar picture changed to those who haven't been to the fb page. Yesterday we traded my Mustang for this Cadillac! This is the car I wanted back about 2 months ago before we got the Mustang. We looked at it several times and could never make our numbers match with the dealer. Well, yesterday I called them on the phone, made them the same offer offer I did two weeks ago. That was at 4:00. The salesmen called me back at 4:07 and said Congratulations come and pick up your car! We were at the dealer at 4:50!! So I am very excited about it. It is not new, it is a 2008 AWD, which is something I really wanted, and has a moon/sun roof. And is exactly the same color as the first one that I had. Guess you can say I am a pretty happy camper!!!

OK, Just wanted to share my "excitement" with everyone. Need to jump in the shower and get ready for church now. Be back later to see how everyone is doing.

HAVE A GREAT SUNDAY!!!

ladyinweighting 09-04-2011 10:17 AM

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did 3 miles and kept my pace at less than a 16-minute mile. Kept the treadmill between 3.8 and 3.9. Almost at my goal – 5 miles at 4.0

Finished my 2 courses – ready to begin a new class on Tuesday.

Rosey, are you still watching BB? Anyone else looking forward to Biggest Loser? Bobbi, I know you will be watching Survivor. I NEVER thought I would get into these reality shows, but I am HOOKED! Maybe because there isn’t much competition?

No special plans for this holiday weekend. My DS and I were going to meet, but there are still a bunch of trees down and streets closed between her and me. We will give it a try next week.

Have a GREAT weekend,

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen31 (Post 4018872)
Good Morning! I had such a nice evening last night. Well, actually the day was all pretty nice. I got up bright and early at 9:30, yeah I know it felt good! And then fixed my slim fast shake and then played in here on the “puter” for awhile. Got a few things done in the morning and then before I knew it, it was time for lunch. Fixed a slim fast vanilla shake with strawberries in the blender, Love that.

Hi Karen,

How many meals each day do you have the Slim Fast? I keep Atkins protein drinks in my refrig & have one when I cannot decide what I want to eat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryea (Post 4018923)
Good morning! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood and the people are already starting to come to the neighbor's garage sale so we figured we'd better get up and ready in case someone sees our for sale sign and wants to look at the RV.

Hi Mary,

Good luck with sellin the RV!!!! My fingers are crossed for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie (Post 4018986)
Since my kitchen is limited on food and I refuse to leave my house (except for the doggie hike this am and swim in my pool this afternoon) I decided to make bread. I have fresh whole wheat bread baking in the machine and it smells divine.

Hi Marie,

I used to have a bread maker. I gave it to my niece bc whenever I made the bread I ate it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

The smell of bread baking is MUCH more than I can handle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitchy (Post 4019015)
Gayle, this is the diet I was talking about: http://amzn.to/pMrfnw

There are many versions of the diet, but Dr. Black's is the one I follow to the extent I can. It doesn't require 100% compliance to get amazing results. I'm sure you could incorporate it into your food plan; primarily it is a list of inflammatory foods to avoid. There is also a large recipe section in the book.

I would highly recommend that anyone with inflammatory arthritis give it a read.

Fitchy

Hi Fitchy,

I am going to take a look at this. Thank you for posting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akrosey49 (Post 4019221)
we went out to eat last night. usually dh brother and girlfriend take mil out every friday nite and sometimes we join them. we picked her up and i dont think we will be doing that with her to many more times. she was so confused mentally and then would get angry at us sigh ,i feel sorry for her,and physically she cant walk so needs help in her wheel chair. she loves to eat out and we want to keep her life as normal as possible but i dont think she enjoyed herself last nite.

Hi Rosey,

I ABSOLUTELY know what you mean. I used to take my DF scrapbooking. At a certain point, I realized that she was just getting stressed out. I try to figure out things she can still do. At this point, going to Starbucks for a cup of coffee is about it. I try the movies every once in a while, but unless I can find a REAL comedy, it just confuses her.

[QUOTE=glynne;4019404]
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinweighting (Post 4018806)

Hi Gayle,

Hi Lynn ~ I don't think I am going to be able quit taking the celebrex or even cut back. I quit taking it and was miserable. So, I thought maybe if I took it every other day ~ that would work and be a compromise. I can't do it. I am so stiff ~ when I get up I can barely walk. And my knee hurts so bad. When I lay down to go to sleep at night ~ I hurt all over and can't sleep. I don't think I can put up with this pain either.

And this is messing up my sleep and is very frustrating too ~ I have struggled now for (starting into my 3rd year) with a c-pap and sleep apnea. Have finally gotten the right combination of mask, meds and routine, and finally felt like things were falling into place and I was sleeping better and feeling better. Now, my regular dr messing with this celebrex ~ when I lay down to go to sleep at night ~ I hurt all over and can't sleep . . Discouraging ~ I get one thing straightened out and they change something and it messes things up and I feel like I am starting all over again.

I was even making an attemp to make exercise a regular part of my day ~ doing so-so at that. But with this pain, ~ all I am wanting to do is just sit. I think then that it would be better to take the medicine and feel better than to sit around and do nothing. That can't be good for me.

If the celebrex is so bad for me ~ I wish she could come up with something else that would help. Such a dilema ~ stop taking the med to cut the health risks ~ but be barely able to walk and in pain and miserable.

I'm sorry to be so whiny ~ thank you all for listening.

Hi Gayle,

With regards to health (and treatment) issues – my attitude is that my quality of life matters more than my quantity of life. I have led a VERY good life and I want to enjoy what I have left. If the Celebrex helps me do that – so be it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2TCS (Post 4019507)
I'm really hoping to be a more regular member soon, once school routines and work fall into place, and, like Fitchy, doing personals once I've been around more frequently. Thank you all for the warm welcome -- you are an amazing group of women and I look forward to getting to know you all better and sharing this journey we are all on!

Hi Mom,

Looking forward to getting to know you also!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen31 (Post 4019667)
I guess I need to explain why my avatar picture changed to those who haven't been to the fb page. Yesterday we traded my Mustang for this Cadillac! This is the car I wanted back about 2 months ago before we got the Mustang. We looked at it several times and could never make our numbers match with the dealer. Well, yesterday I called them on the phone, made them the same offer offer I did two weeks ago. That was at 4:00. The salesmen called me back at 4:07 and said Congratulations come and pick up your car! We were at the dealer at 4:50!! So I am very excited about it. It is not new, it is a 2008 AWD, which is something I really wanted, and has a moon/sun roof. And is exactly the same color as the first one that I had. Guess you can say I am a pretty happy camper

Hi Karen,

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!! So glad you are getting the car of your dreams!

Marie 09-04-2011 02:55 PM

Rosey, I love the look doggies get when they are getting away with a no-no. Makes it hard to scold them.

Mary, I do love my iPad. My anti-Apple daughter played with it on vacation (soduku) and so did DH. DD looked at tablets the day before we left and found one she liked for $500. I’m like, just get an iPad. Of course that wouldn’t happen. We were chatting with my BIL at the wake and he works at Best Buy programming their website. As we chatted, he mentioned Amazon is coming out with a tablet running Android in the fall for $200. DD and I have since googled it and I think it will be the kindle’s replacement. DD is going to wait for its release date. But… if the Kindle is working for you, especially while you’re exercising, then you have the right toy. Enjoy it! Also, you might be able to screen really good renters for DS’s house and be money ahead. I know you mentioned 6 months out but I think I’d look now. The rental market is so tight you could screen with a lot of pickiness.

Gayle, I’ve heard about the Celebrex health risks and by your description, if you listed the pros and cons, the pros of taking it would outweigh the cons. Lack of sleep, not moving around and depression from the pain will do more damage in a shorter period of time. Just my little opinion. Oh, then there’s the quality of life factor that should trump them all.

Darcy, I know that when I travel (by car or plane) I retain water. It takes about 5 days to make it go away. So… if you weighed right after your camping trip, that could have been the cause. A bummer that you had revenge eating. It is a concept I understand well.

KarenMO (formerly MustangKaren), very pretty car. I adore the beautiful color. I am sad that the convertible is gone but you have a pretty car! Enjoy your Sunday restaurant outing.

Lynn, way to go on your treadmill walk. Keeping a 3.8 to 4.0 mph walk for miles is quite a trick. You did great. What do you teach? I remember reading many moons ago but being a GG and blonde to boot has my recollection hazy.

DH and I rode our bikes to the post office and home. About 9.5 miles. Sunday is usually my off exercise day but with the MN trip, everything was goofed up. At the funeral on Wednesday, they did so ritual with incense and my asthma reacted immediately. My inhaler was in the car and I was nearly gasping. My sister joined me a few minutes later and I used hers. Then on the procession to the cemetery I used my inhaler again. Since then, everything is setting it off. Just sitting here is difficult. So, the hilly bike ride was not as pleasant as it normally is. I did use the inhaler but I really hate when my lungs give out before my legs. Anyway, we hadn’t notified the post office we’d be gone )since we had no warning) and we were a little concerned my bike basket wouldn’t hold it all. I probably looked a bit silly riding back with it overflowing. I’d ordered new running shoes last Sunday (about an hour before the call) and they were there. Thankfully the parts I ordered for the power doggie door hadn’t arrived or we’d have been out of luck. The pool didn’t cool off as much as we’d expected while we were gone (we use solar panels to heat it and turned them off the entire time we were gone) so yesterday I enjoyed swimming. The first dive into the pool felt magical on my head as it was still wishy-washy from the trip. Today it should be warmer and wonderful.
Marie

ladyinweighting 09-04-2011 05:28 PM

Hi Marie,

I teach various graduate courses to educators (generally teachers) who want to become administrators and get their Master's degree.

Next week, I am teaching Communications for Educational Leaders and in November, I am teaching Human Development & Learning (Ed. Psych).

Lynn

maryea 09-04-2011 09:00 PM

Hello GG! It's another beautiful day...the weather people say we are going to have summer this month! :D The garage sale in our neighborhood is still going strong and we've had several people come over to look at our p/u and one looked at the RV, but most are only interested in the p/u. We won't sell the p/u until after the trailer is sold or they are sold together.

Thanks, Lynn..keep the positive thoughts coming for it to sell. I'm hoping we can sell them both and start shopping for a car at least by this time next year or maybe sooner. Be good to have a newer car before we take on our ds' house as we'll likely be making some trips down there. We could use the rig for a trade in with Toyota but they are the only car dealer I think that will do that and although I do like some Toyota cars, I don't like being so restricted to one dealer. We so seldom buy a car, I like to take my time and looks at lots of dealerships on and offline.

Marie - I hope they will keep selling books for the kindle! I have 80 some but it holds 3500 so I keep adding them when I find them free or very cheap if they sound good. About the house, we can't do anything as long as he doesn't know when he's moving...so waiting on that. The way it sound now they might be there several months. I'm hoping they will change their minds and stay. But at least the longer they are there, the longer they are paying for it. It's a great location for a family. It's a newish housing area and newish school...a very small town which was just developing really (services etc) but the recession has stalled everything or at least the housing market.

Mom - Have I welcomed you? I'm so forgetful and am having trouble keeping up with all the posts! If I haven't, here's a big WELCOME !! Losing weight is a real struggle but sounds like you're hanging in there and doing well.

Glynne - Vent all you need to...we all have difficult issues to contend with and we all vent. At least this is a place where we can. I hope your doctor can find a medication to help you. Seems like a lot of people are having to use c-pap these days! I've talk to at least three people just recently. My sis says they have suggested it for her but she says she'd have to sleep on her back and she can't do that.

I made our reservations for MO today...hotel and car. We usually stay with my sis but with her and her dh both being so ill we felt it would put them out too much. I think my sis is a little bothered by it but I promised her we'd be at her house every afternoon and evening and maybe mornings too. Having our own places allows us to stay kind of on schedule with our lives too. I'm hoping for a fitness room so we can workout. My sis wants me to walk with her as she has no one to walk with. So am looking forward to that. I love to walk outdoors and here at home we ever do that anymore.