Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

OK, Carol Sue, I have my iPhone blasting on the Bose speakers and Britney Spears (yeah, I know…) Hold It Against Me started when I got to your post. Your little avatar being strutting was to the beat of the music. Sure did make me laugh. BTW, the song is my only Britney song and I heard it on Dancing with the Stars last spring and a couple was doing the tango to it. It was awesome. So now your little person is doing the tango in my little world. And yes, I am a bit on the nuts side.

Marie
LOL. Yes you are a bit on the nuts side, but I like your sense of humor. Maybe if I did the Tango once in a while I would melt off some of this weight. I will have to look into that song, I don't recall it, but I will probably know it when I hear it.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #137  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Back on plan today! Just had my FiberOne cereal 1/3 cup of milk, a snack baggie full of blueberries, and a snack baggie full of cut up fresh peaches that DH & I found at a local farm stand, Very dee-lish, and very filling! I slept very badly last night – don’t think I finally nodded off until after 2:30 and had to be up at 5:30! Then had truly troubling dreams – remember feeling very stressed, but not why, exactly. Very sleepy driving in this morning, too. BUT I’m heading back over to Fitday when I leave here, and will resume my calorie, etc. counting each day. I mentioned that we went out to dinner last night and that I OVERate, but didn’t say what I overate. Clue: it was fried. I think that was half my problem with falling asleep. I had a nasty acid stomach, chewed down some Maalox tablets to no avail, chewed down some other tablets that I found in the medicine basket, and took some little pink acid-reducer pills – forget the name – maybe rantidine??? ANYWAY, none of the above helped much, and my tummy was miserable for quite a while. That, as much as anything else, is enough to convince me that I NEED to eat right again, and none of these week-long binges can be allowed. I have my eggplant meatballs with some baby spinach leaves and a dollop of mustard, all of which will go into a 60-calorie pita for my lunch. That and some dried seaweed chips with wasabi seasoning. To be honest, I’m NOT crazy about them, but a whole packet is 30 calories compared to the 150 calories in 20 kettle cooked potato chips which, as you well know, I have an addiction to.
Work becomes harder and harder to tolerate. 7 ½ months to go. Lyn’s pictures of her and her dh in their new kayaks has me soooooo envious. I showed them (the pics) to dh, and said “I want one”. We agreed that they will definitely be on next summer’s agenda. It looks like SUCH fun! You really know how to “do” retirement, Lyn!
Happy belated birthday Jane. I just love celebrating mine with the family, too.
Sorry you’re feeling icky, Rosey. But at least you have the house to yourself, which, in my eyes at least, is the next thing to heaven. When I’m sick, I just hate being fussed over, and would prefer to just hole up in my bedroom until I feel well enough to face the world. Having a whole house to loll about in, sniffling and such, is truly luxurious! (To me, anyway)
Rie, Marie and all….I am simply out of the loop with your technological discussions…they may seem pretty basic to you, but as for how to watch Netflix – well, I have a good-sized monitor for my PC, and we just drag the chairs out of the den into my computer nook and watch on the computer. I know you’re supposed to be able to watch them on your TV – something to do with the Wii? Well, we have the Wii sure enough, but how to watch movies on it is beyond me. Your corn and cukes sure sound good to me, Rie…we got some farm stand corn on Saturday, and tomatoes. The tomatoes were really dee-lish, but the corn left something to be desired. I think the local corn crop has really been adversely affected by all the rain we’ve had in the past month.
Marie, I am definitely a scone-lover. My old mother was English, and she made them once a week, so they kind of bring back warm childhood memories. The best were when my brother and sister and I would go blueberry picking in the woods behind our house….there were tons of wild blueberry bushes out there…and bring in a pail of what we didn’t eat while picking. She would always check our tongues to see what shade of blue they were, and then shake her head and say, “You children will be on the toilet all night long!” Sometimes we were, but it was SO worth it! Then we’d have the fresh scones for our breakfast….oooohhhh, to die for!
Glad you got a new computer, PT…we can’t lose you to inadequate gigabytes or something terrible like that!
Koala…I somehow must’ve missed what you said about your new job! What are you doing?
Okay, love to all the rest of me luvlies….I must be gone.
Have a lovely day!
Z
Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #138  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
No time for personals, just wanted to say Happy Belated birthday to Jane.
Marie...thanks for reminding me:
Quote:
Bobbi, maybe you could make your allergist appt for a few weeks out so you won't have to wait once the MRI bills are settled.
I'll do that today.

Rosie...My dh is going antelope hunting in 3 weeks and I always, always enjoy the time off for myself. I say I'm not going to do anything but loaf but usually end up doing a big project instead. This year I'm going to clean out my garden shed.
I'm up to my ears in garden produce, I've canned lots of grape jelly. DH picked about 1/2 of one apple tree and I canned apple butter in fancy little jelly jars to used toward Christmas gift baskets. I'm going to tackle more today...
Rie...was it you that mentioned John Wayne and his " Burning Daylight"?
I'm burning sunshine, gotta run. Hi Golden girls, sorry I'm so absent but this is my busy time with all the produce.
One last thing, we went to a 40th anniversary party yesterday and I thought I died and went to heaven over a salad they served. I asked for the recipe, she said it was in all the church cookbooks. I googled it and found it. I'll post it later today when I have time.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #139  
GmaTo8

Thank you, GGs!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #140  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Afternoon, Gorkers!

I’m at work. I’m caught up, and it’s quiet… On my day off last week, one of the other women did all my work, caught up on about 20 pending files. I was devastated, felt totally redundant! So now I leave nothing ‘til tomorrow… I don't want them thinking I'm only LittleMissSunshine for the clients.

I’m so glad you all have enjoyed and have taken ownership of “gork”! That’s always been a favorite word of mine… so descriptive!

TeaGranny – I know it’s not what you wanted, but at least you’re off dead center. Now that dreaded scale will start to move for you! Thanks for the update on your son! He’s regularly on my mind.

Rosey – I hope you feel better SOON! I’m sure Gizmo is a big help to you!

Rie – I haven’t even attempted the router yet. I was so disgusted (and unkind to sales people) that I just put it on hold. The HP tech was VERY nice and helpful. He said “go ahead and swear, if you want; it’s O-K-A-Y!” Anyway, I just plugged the DSL modem into the laptop temporarily. I have to figure out Windows 7, because the files stored on my Vista flash drive don’t seem to have a home on Windows 7. Bah!

Koala – hola, interesting writer!

CarolSue – have I said hello and welcome? If not, hello and welcome!

PT/Zoe – thank you, thank you!

What you describe is the CarboBlahs, I think. When I’m being dutiful, devoted, and dedicated to eating right, I sleep well and wake up refreshed. If not, then…. um, like, CarboBlah! The worst thing is the sleep disruption, at least for me. Oh, Zoe, my gigabytes are enormous! Oh, you’re talking about the computer… I’ll get used to it. It’s just mandatory that I whine and cry and throw obstacles on my way to all things technological. I get cold sweats at the thought of an I-Phone!

Bobbi – are you still holding on with the migraines (or, hopefully, lack of migraines)? Has Charlie forgiven you? I’ll be so interested to hear about your allergist, when and if. I’m looking forward to the salad recipe!

Nothing to report. SamCat is still eating off the floor (sigh) and seems to be having some trouble with his back legs. I worry about the poor old boy!

Everyone, have a lovely!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #141  
Bobbi

I got a minute to post the recipe, it's not very calorie friendly. I'm going to substitute the sugar with splenda, use the smallest amount of butter posible to brown the nuts, etc. Then save it for company, picnic's, etc. Oh Yum-O.
Quote:
Napa Cabbage Salad
Ingredients:
1 head napa cabbage
1 bunch minced green onions
1/4 cup butter
1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles,
broken
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 peanut oil or part sesame oil
1/2 cup white sugar, try less and use brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Directions:
1. Finely shred the head of cabbage; do not chop. Combine the green onions and cabbage in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Make the crunchies: Melt the butter in a pot. Mix the ramen noodles, sesame seeds and almonds into the pot with the melted butter. Spoon the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake the crunchies in the preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven, turning often to make sure they do not burn. When they are browned remove them from the oven.
4. Make the dressing: In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, oil, sugar, and soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, let boil for 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and let cool.
5. Combine dressing, crunchies, and cabbage immediately before serving. Serve right away or the crunchies will get soggy.

This was written by someone who tried the recipe and made a few changes.

*Never put dressing in the fridge. You must heat the dressing to a boil to make sure the sugar is dissolved. I always use at least 2-3packages of ramen noodles and slivered almonds. I always use 1/4 cup of butter, melt it in a skillet and brown the almonds, sesame seeds and noodles. Increase the noodles to two packages, minus the seasoning package. The noodles are better if you break them up well, I put them in a plastic bag and break them with a rolling pin, just don't pulverize them. . The dressing is much better if it is heated and boiled for the 1 minute, it dissolves the sugar. This salad is just not the same without the Napa cabbage. I must stress to let everything cool before mixing with the cabbage. Mix at the last minute before serving because the crunchies will get soggy, as stated in other reviews.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I am SO disappointed. My DF from NC just called and she will not be able to come to PA to be with me for the half marathon. Her sister just had a heart attack.

Oh well, my DD & SIL will be there. As I always say, Worse things have happened to nicer people!

Have a great rest of your Monday,

Lynn
Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #143  

Hi everyone. its raining out today and ive been puttering. feeling the same, like poo sry lynn that your friend cant be with you. if i could id be there to cheer you on in person i would becuz i think your awsome and admire your spirit to do this! I really dream about running,maybe its wishful thinking,id settle for walking without any gear Bobbie thanks for the recipe,sounds like something i would like. i make a ww chinese chicken salad with cabbage and other vegies,ramun noodels,peanuts and chicken and a vinegrette dressing.hoping your day is going well everyone rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 09-12-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Happy birthday Jane
Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #145  

Height: 5'3"

Hello GG! I've been sleepy all day..took some pain meds last night which made it a little hard to get up and to to the gym and all day I've felt like taking a nap but I haven't. I tweaked my housekeeping schedule a bit and it seems better except I have no designated "free day" really. That's ok, I never knew what to do with it anyway...LOL I'll just take off when I want/need to now. I'm almost done with today's tasks....still need to finish laundry and vacuum bedroom carpet. Dinner tonight is hamburgers and probably a salad. Checked on my Medifast products and they aren't scheduled to arrive til Wed so I still have a few days eating whatever I want. My coach called me yesterday and she seems nice. You don't have to have a coach but I figured if I'm going to do it I might as well have as much help as I can get. Belatedly I called the doctor for his approval..I'm sure it's ok...

Typed that earlier and then got called away. My doctor's nurse called to say that yes, the MF diet is ok, but to be sure and get in to be checked by two months. I thought it was just about my bs (MF recommends going in after two weeks!), but she said there are also sometimes liver functioning changes!! YIKES!! Don't like the sound of that. But she said it can be a really good jump-start to losing weight. I've ordered my products so I'm going to do it but I told her I'd make an appointment for sure. I wasn't going to even ask him as I know he wants me to lose weight and even suggested 1000 calories (which I refused at the time but now will be about there with MF) and so I figured he'd be fine with it, but I'm glad I called now as I learned something I didn't know. Of course if I go on being heavy, with a large waist size for my body, I'll likely suffer the consequences from that too.

Lynn - Sorry your friend can't be there and about her sister too! My dh's sister had a heart attack night before last. She is still in CCU and on a respirator but we are still hoping for a full recovery. She is the real heart of his family.

Bobbi - I love that salad but haven't made it myself. Sounds you've been busy with all that canning.

Was going to type more but dh is calling for dinner...
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hi all!

I am drinking a glass of wine and watching football. My version of sophistication.

I had a pretty good day but it sure flew by. Lots of fun at work as most of the staff wandered by with comments like, "hey boss! there is a new truck in the parking lot!" Lots of wandering out there and standing looking in the bed of the truck while they asked me questions. (a couple jokes about the fact that I need a step ladder to see IN the back, lol but oh well) Of course, all the females weren't interested with the exception of my admin assistant.

I have a plan for getting the explorer to youngest ds next week. I am traveling to far east montana (about half way to ds town). I will leave it there and the kids can come and get it. Ds will be comming to Billings to audition for the local opera company but it won't be for a while so this is the best way.

Rosey, I hope you are able to shake that darn cold soon! I also think about running but I don't think it will ever happen for me. I am sure happy to be able to walk, as I know you are.

Mary, good luck with the MF. I know that some people are really able to get a jump start with that program. Just be sure to follow through with dr appt, OK? Is Joe going to make his own food or will you be cooking for him?

Karen3, Nice to see you. How are you feeling?

Lynn, I am so sorry about df. I know we won't be there, but rest assured that your golden girls friends are all rooting for you!

Bobbi, great salad. My bff makes it all the time. Sometimes she adds chopped turkey after thanksgiving. Yum. Your friends and family are going to be so lucky to get all those home preserves that you are making.

Donna, do you have any adolescent or 20 something people that can help you with your technology stuff? I am fond of just acting helpless and my boys do it for me - either in person or over the phone. I swear, the generation behind us understands all that stuff. I knew it was bad news when my grade school children used to program the vcr for me.... It has been downhill since then.

Zoe, amazing how our stomachs get used to eating well and make us pay for or indulgences. I hope you rest well tonight. As for the technology, see my advice to Donna, above. I suspect that your children or grands could make it work without any trouble. Enjoy the produce.

Carol, LOL at your avatar doing the tango. Nice to "see" you today.

Arrow, are you still here?

Marie, you will get back on track. Anyway, you are so active, I can't imagine that you are doing too much damage.

Koala, good job on getting back on track. Baby steps, darlin, I will choose to focus on your healthy day and ignore any evening slips. Looking forward to hearing more about your new position.

Karenmo, Lynn, Freda and Gayle, I hope you are all well and enjoying the beginning of your week. Ta Ta

Rie
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #147  

Rie - I will still be cooking my Lean & Green meal...meat or other protein and lots of veggies each day so I'll just cook pretty much as I normally do except I can't eat the starchy carb. But I can fix it for him...he usually wants rice so that's super easy with my rice cooker! Until recently when I've gotten mostly off track again, I was pretty much eating this way...I did allow myself a little rice or potato now and then but not always. Right now though I'm eating terrible...I think it's the anticipation of starting this new diet. But until recently I was basically eating this way the past month or so any way..ever since I saw how well my pastor did on it. I just didn't want to spend the money on the products. I still plan to devise my own mini-meals for a couple meals out of the five mini-meals. I'm pretty good with nutrition (even if I don't always adhere to what I know!), and am sure I can do it. It's just easier to use their products. I'm probably not suppose to talk about it here, but they are a great forum with a lot of friendly helpful people. There is also a very friendly helpful forum here on 3FC too! I just hope I can stand the food, but the more I hear about it the less apprehension I feel...so far. Most people say it is very filling and there is little hunger so I hope that I will have the same experience. It takes a lot to fill me but up but will see. But if it doesn't work, maybe I can ebay the unopened products. I see them on there. I purposely didn't start auto ship or order very much just in case.

One thing that surprised me at first is they recommend you don't exercise..at least not aerobic...in the beginning. Its that whole idea of not allowing your body to think you are starving, and since you are eating so low calorie and entering the ketosis state you don't want to burn off calories through exercise.
Sorta reverse thinking about this to me, but I think I understand it. I told my coach what I do at the gym and she recommended I stretch and if I want to, I can walk and bike but only slowly ..below the point where it's slightly hard to talk. It's just in the beginning I think that they don't recommend the exercise.

It should be interesting to see how it goes...and if i do start losing that will motivate me to keep with it. I'll take my bs often to make sure I'm ok there but a few years ago I even fasted with diabetes and had no problem. I just checked it often to be sure I was ok.

I'm going to take a relaxing bath now...I'm looking forward to my bed tonight.
Hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited by maryea; 09-12-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #148  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Happy Birthday, PT !!!! I hope you have a mah-velous day!!!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #149  
Bobbi

Happy Birthday Donna....and many more!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #150  

Height: 5'1"

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday Dear Donna, Happy birthday to you! Hope your day is filled with sunshine and happiness
Closed Thread