3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   I have to force meat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/241260-i-have-force-meat.html)

Golden Girl 08-20-2011 02:18 AM

I have to force meat

I am 67. I have had a healthy appitite all my life, liking all foods.
About 3 years ago I lost my apptite for beef. This past year I've completely lost my taste for all meat and seafood. I can eat a hamburger but other than that nothing. I gag down a few oz. just to get enough protein. I do eat cheese and yogurt daily..

My question...why would I lose all my appitite for meats and seafood?

Porthardygurl 08-20-2011 02:49 AM

quite simply...our tastebuds change throughout our lifetime..I used to love chicken, but now i gag when i try and eat it...We tend to like and crave that which we need..perhaps your body wants a break from it?

Golden Girl 08-20-2011 02:52 AM

I hope you are right as that relieves my mind.

bargoo 08-20-2011 07:35 AM

If you don't like it, don't eat it.

blueheron777 08-20-2011 07:49 AM

I don't presume to know why you lost your taste for beef but I agree, if you don't like it, don't eat it.

I have been vegetarian for 8 years and am stronger and healthier than when I used to eat critters.

You might want to read up on alternate sources of protein. And for goodness sake, don't "force" yourself to eat beef. IF you gag, maybe either your body or your mind is trying to tell you something.

Michi702 08-20-2011 08:26 AM

There are plenty of protein supplements and other foods that have protein (nuts, peanut butter, greek yogurts, legumes, etc) so as long as you're mindful to incorporate these items into your diet you should be fine going meatless. Morning Star also makes great veggie-based products like black bean burgers and I hear a lot of people swear by them so you might want to sample those too.

I'm still young, but in my 22 years I've gone through a bunch of phases where suddenly I don't like something I used to love (notably chocolate ice cream, stuffing, apple sauce, onions). Sometimes in a few years I get the taste back for the item, sometimes not.

Wannabehealthy 08-21-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Girl (Post 3998384)
I am 67. I have had a healthy appitite all my life, liking all foods.
About 3 years ago I lost my apptite for beef. This past year I've completely lost my taste for all meat and seafood. I can eat a hamburger but other than that nothing. I gag down a few oz. just to get enough protein. I do eat cheese and yogurt daily..

My question...why would I lose all my appitite for meats and seafood?

I have never been big on eating beef, but after a recent surgery I can't stand the taste of it at all. But I do eat fowl and fish. I am 65. Maybe it has something to do with our age. I have heard a lot about "older people" who lose their appetite and have be to forced or reminded to eat. I can't imagine having to be forced to eat. LOL

Carol