Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz View Post
Hi Emaline
I have heard that if you go below 1200 calories that your body thinks you are trying to starve it so your body will slow down your metabolism and you will actually gain weight I could never eat that few calories I would get headaches
Do you do any exercise? Are you doing the points plus I have a friend who went to that and she gained 5 lb in about 3 weeks so she went back to just the regulat points plan
Good luck
Suz
I often wonder about the theory of your body shutting down below 1200 calories. I don't think it's healthy to go too low, but I have been way below 1000 calories and I have lost weight. It was done for medical reasons, but I definately didn't gain weight. What about people with anorexia. They don't gain. Their bodies actually burn up their muscle tissue trying to survive. Also, people who have bariatric surgery have to go way below 1000 calories, and they don't gain. Granted, they are under a doctor's supervision, but they lose a lot of weight. So this is not a theory I buy into. Personally, I have to be below 1500 calories per day to lose. I know, because I have been tracking my food since January. I started out in the 2000 calorie range and kept cutting back until I started to show a loss. My loss only started after I got below 1500. I do think a multi vitamin/mineral supplement is warranted to assure you are not missing out on nutrients.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #32  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

Carol
You are right in your statements but everyones metabolism is different some will lose and some will not If people choose to eat less than a 1000 calories they are probably doing more harm than good As for anorexia I think it is more a disease than a choice if you are under a doctor care and eating less than 1000 calories it usually is short term anyone else have any thoughts or comments on this

Suz
suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 262/165/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I'm new here and I weigh 165 and I need to lose 30 lbs as well. I've been dieting most of my adult life and have managed to keep a 100 lb loss off for 4 years - it's creeping back slowly and I'm scared. I binge on the weekends and it's killing my weight loss. Just reading your posts is motivating me!
obesa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz View Post
Carol
You are right in your statements but everyones metabolism is different some will lose and some will not If people choose to eat less than a 1000 calories they are probably doing more harm than good As for anorexia I think it is more a disease than a choice if you are under a doctor care and eating less than 1000 calories it usually is short term anyone else have any thoughts or comments on this

Suz
Oh, I agree 100% that it is harmful to go below 1000 calories for any length of time. I just don't agree with the fact that your body shuts down and you don't lose.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by obesa50 View Post
Hi! I'm new here and I weigh 165 and I need to lose 30 lbs as well. I've been dieting most of my adult life and have managed to keep a 100 lb loss off for 4 years - it's creeping back slowly and I'm scared. I binge on the weekends and it's killing my weight loss. Just reading your posts is motivating me!
Congratulations on the 100 lb loss! That is wonderful! I think it's natural to gain a few lbs back once you go into maintenance, but only you know if that's the reason you're gaining or if you are backsliding. Did you track your food when you were losing? Are you tracking it now? If not, try it. If you can, use a program like FitDay where you track not only your calories, but your fat, carbs, protein etc. It might help you to actually see what you are eating and help you to eliminate the foods that are causing the gain.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #36  

Thanks! You are absolutely right about journaling everything! I have lost most of my weight on WW and used their online tracker. Yes, I must admit I'm backsliding - I do great during the week but by Friday I feel like I have to binge to release anxiety and tension.

I'm an emotional eater and just don't know how to break this cycle. My doctor suggested a counselor but at this time I can't afford to see one. I think if I can post my feelings and here everyones input I can get this under control.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by obesa50 View Post

I'm an emotional eater and just don't know how to break this cycle. My doctor suggested a counselor but at this time I can't afford to see one. I think if I can post my feelings and here everyones input I can get this under control.
I always wonder exactly what a counselor can do that you aren't already doing, besides take your money. A counselor can give suggestions, but you have to follow through, and you already know what your problem is. Rather than give up your splurge on weekends, maybe you could cut back the day before and after the weekend to allow a little more on the weekend. I remember that WW used to give you an additional weekly point allowance. Do they still do that?

My sister-in-law lost 93 lbs. She watched her diet carefully all week, but on the weekend they went out to eat and she always had her favorite meal....veal parmesan with spaghetti, and a pitcher of beer. Then back to the diet. Knowing she was going to have that treat kept her on the diet all week.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #38  

I'm with you! I need to lose 30 lbs. As I get older it's more important than ever to keep my weight down. It seems I do well during the week and as soon as Friday comes I flop flat on my face. I see how many of you guys are tracking and staying on plan and that really help motivate me. I'm hoping this week will be the week I stay on plan all week! Thanks!!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #39  

slmn11 That's a great idea! If I would look forward to dinner out once a week then it might help with my poor choices on the weekends. Thanks so much!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 162/158/140

Talking New to 3 fat chicks.

I just joined the site and know nothing about how this all works!

Anyway, I started on the MM diet 15 days ago and can say it hasn't been bad at all. In the last two or three days, though, I'm starting to feel really bored with the foods I can eat at this stage. I bought the MM cookbook, but it seems more of the same...cheese and eggs. I decided I need to take the regular meals that I really like and try to change them to fit the diet.

The MM developer doesn't recommend weighing yourself until after the first 8 weeks, but of course I sneaked a peak and found that I lost 5 lbs. I was pleased, but I vow not to weigh myself until the 8 week mark.

Has anyone else been on this diet? Were you happy with the results? Any complaints?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by New MM Groupie; 10-14-2011 at 07:08 PM.
New MM Groupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by New MM Groupie View Post
I just joined the site and know nothing about how this all works!

Anyway, I started on the MM diet 15 days ago and can say it hasn't been bad at all. In the last two or three days, though, I'm starting to feel really bored with the foods I can eat at this stage. I bought the MM cookbook, but it seems more of the same...cheese and eggs. I decided I need to take the regular meals that I really like and try to change them to fit the diet.

The MM developer doesn't recommend weighing yourself until after the first 8 weeks, but of course I sneaked a peak and found that I lost 5 lbs. I was pleased, but I vow not to weigh myself until the 8 week mark.

Has anyone else been on this diet? Were you happy with the results? Any complaints?

Thanks for your input!
I don't think I've ever heard of the MM diet. I guess it doesn't have anything to do with the little candies that melt in your mouth, not in your hand. LOL

It must be pretty good if you lost 5 lbs in 15 days. I am not one who can go a long time between weigh-ins. I have to know if I'm losing.

Tell us about the program. It sounds like it's limiting, and that CAN get boring. Some people like to be told only eat these things and some people need more variety. If you're getting too bored with it, maybe you can use it to jump start your diet and then switch to something that gives you more foods that you like.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Where is everyone?
I was absent for some days. Now i am 160.8. Started 17 DD again.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

C1d1 160.4
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #44  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

Hi!
Puneri - Congrats on your weight loss. I'm 54 and need to lose an additional 25-30lbs. Only lost 14 since the beginning of the year, but I'm on a slow steady plan for life. It certainly is trickier than it was even a few years ago.
Italiannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #45  
lizzie

S/C/G: 185/177/147

Height: 5'5

Exclamation My Impossible Dream

Hello..I am 63 and want to lose 30-35lbs. It seems like an impossible task but I am going for it... Mini goal 20lbs by Memorial day!

3/23...181

3/26.......178
4/2
4/9
4/16
4/23
4/30
5/7
5/14
5/21
5/28

Last edited by slimlizzie2; 03-31-2012 at 08:34 AM.
slimlizzie2 is offline   Reply With Quote