3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~July Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/236973-%7E%7Ejuly-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

jess1 07-10-2011 09:56 AM

Very quick Hola! this morning. I'm off to do a demo gig at Target: the fig newtons that we've been hearing about. I'll let you know what I find out, although we're NOT supposed to sample the samples!!

Stay cool (or warm, if you prefer!).........

Marie 07-10-2011 11:28 AM

Lynn, how close to your $1300 goal? When do you need pledges/donations by?

Bobbi, yes, pork, sauerkraut and dumplings is one of my favorite meals from growing up. Truthfully, I don’t care about the pork (not a big fan of meat), I HATE sauerkraut, but man oh man, I LOVE the dumplings. My recipe is flour, cream of wheat and butter (and a couple other staples). I could live on the dumplings with the gravy from the meat. Now you have me dreaming of dumplings. My maternal grandparents were from Prague, so I’m half Czech. Houska, a holiday bread made with glace fruit is probably one of my fave Czech recipe. It’s a sweet bread with about a zillion calories so I only make it at Christmas. Way too funny on the cold hands vs headache.

KarenMO, I’m very partial to Jeeps (as I own two) but white is so boring. You’re too spicy for that.

Gayle, I love your sign. I think I could use it for my office. Great job on getting your walk in. Maybe you could vary your walking place so it doesn’t get drab. And I hate the smell of tires.

Rosey, YEAH on 2# gone. You are doing magnificent. I, too, would way prefer a puppy to some stone any day.

DH is back in the forest cutting the last cord of wood for heating “next winter”. Right – I’ll stick wood in the wood stove whenever he isn’t looking. I have refrained the last few days. So the doggies and I are enjoying our last day of dog-cation. I can not even imagine how the **** (self bleeped) I will get up for work tomorrow. It will be torturous. And then to go to work. Yuck! I left my deck umbrella up yesterday and the winds decided to blow and broke it. So I have to stay inside. Phooey. My skin is so dark from dog-cation and I have fair skin. Not good. I’ve gone through so much sunscreen and I still get darker. So I’ll stay indoors unless I can follow the natural shade. DH said he’d fix my brolly for me later.
Marie

Riemontana 07-10-2011 11:32 AM

Good Morning All!

I sure enjoyed the drive in last night except for the misbehavior of the people sitting next to us. It was a beautiful clear Montana night, the stars were out and it was so fun to sit around in lawn chairs and watch the movie. Unfortunately, I got cold and had to retreat to the car but it was still fun. I need to bring warmer clothes next time. Hey - what's up with that??? I seem to get cold now since I don't have as much fat covering me??? LOL

I did well eating at the movie. (see my fb post). The nice thing is that you can bring your own food. So I munched my way through the flick on veggies.

Donna, I hope that you enjoy your demo.. I keep thinking that would be a good part time gig for mom since she insists that she needs to work...

Lynn, enjoy the festival today. I am so in awe of the fact that you are walking/running 6 miles! You go lady! I am always proud of my little 2 mile walks.

Marie, sorry that your docation is ending. Too bad that we all have to work. People say that they work for fun but I think that I could design a pretty good life around my recreational habits.:D

Yay Rosie! 99 pounds is amazing! I am so proud of you.

Gayle, I liked your story about your girls:)I hope that your work is better today. I liked your sign, also. It is often so hard to have a good attitude when we are under stress.

Mary, "got them the hard or easy way" too funny. It is nice that you could have a sense of humor about it. Too often, folks are so easily offended by the comments of others. (including myself sometimes)

Karen31, for what it is worth, the jeep is a really nice vehicle. Of course, here in MT we love our 4WD's. :D

Bobbi, I hope that you are enjoying the rebellion. ;)

Karen3 I am hoping for your speedy recovery. It has been so nice to have you joining us a little again.

To all our other friends here - have terrific Sunday. BBL

Rie

Tea Granny 07-10-2011 11:57 AM

Happy Sunday Golden Girls :)

the slim me 07-10-2011 12:15 PM

Good Morning GG's

It's another beautiful, too warm, sunny day. Didn't do much yesterday. DGD's baseball game was at 11 and it was already too warm. I do take a big umbrella and sat under that so I didn't get too much sun.
Marie, You say you're always cold. I'm always too warm! I always wonder what makes people different like that. I do think it might be inherited. Most old people are too cold but my granma was always too hot too. I don't like dumplins! of course I never tasted the ones you're talkng about, just the old fashioned chicken and dumplins that my mom was famous for. Everything said they were the best. Just tasted like dough to me. As for nationality, I'm English, Irish, German, Dutch.

Lynn, I think it was you that asked about the Oreo looking cookies that I saw, that said they were more healthy than regular cookies. I got a coupon in today coupon inserts. They are called WhoNu. Supposedly they have as much fiber as a bowl or oatmeal, as much calcium and vit. D as a glass of milk, and as much vit. C as a cup of blueberries. You can check them out at whonucookies.com.

Donna, How can you pass out samples and not at least taste them? People are going to ask you questions and you need to be able to answer them. So, think of it as research. I think they are quite good, but I knew a few of the ladies that didn't like them.

TeaGranny, Hi. Happy Sunday to you also.

Rie, I take my own snacks to the movies too. Everything they sell there is full of calories. probably frowned on, but I don't really care.

Rosie, You are so close!!! Yeah for you!!

Mary, I don't think most people mean to be mean when they ask questions. Just curious. I don't know what is worse, no asking anything or just asking.

Gayle, Your grands are beautiful.

Freda

Marie 07-10-2011 02:56 PM

Rie, I have never understood the concept not working would be boring. I have loads of pleasurable things to keep me busy. And I’d like to volunteer to read at the schools. In MN, the school district would let me go read whenever I wanted (and I worked 80 hours a week so really I think they weren’t generous). Here it is work and only work. I love reading to little kids. My DGS hates being read to and hopefully my DGD will love it. I’m a Dr. Seuss fanatic.

Freda, my other half is quarter German and quarter Dutch. I despise chicken type dumplings. It truly is the Czeck recipe I adore.

DH found my beach umbrella and it’s propped in the deck umbrella stand. And he’s currently working on fixing my deck umbrella. I’ve been chasing shade around the house. The house is cold (71 degrees) and the outside is warm. Hence the effort to chase shade.
Marie

Nancyoyo 07-10-2011 03:31 PM

Hey GGs,
Just checking in. My internet connection is “iffy” today, so don’t know if I’ll be able to post this or not. The Blackberry Festival yesterday wasn’t that interesting, at least not while we were there. It was hot, so we just stayed long enough to walk through & see what was there - mostly the same crafts & foods you see at all these things. (I’m with everyone that hates the heat, but then I also hate the cold - Spring & Fall year-round would be fine with me!) Then we checked out some local stores (air conditioned, of course!), & then headed back to our neck of the woods. We didn’t even drive the extra 20 miles up the mountain to the Blue Ridge Parkway! We were just too lazy! Sad! Ate dinner at my favorite buffet place, & I really pigged-out! Then walked around town for exercise, so at least I got plenty of walking in yesterday. I did gain back those 3 lbs. last week, but I decided as long as I don’t go over 145, I’ll be ok. So I’m good, so far!

Rosey, good for you - two more pounds! Yay! Almost at that 100 lb. mark!!! Love your avatar pic.

Marie, I’m with you on that getting up tomorrow morning. SO will also be going back to work then, so I just now set the alarm for 4AM. After 10 days of sleeping in, that’s really gonna hurt!

Freda, & Marie, you don’t like chicken & dumplins?!!! (Have to pronounce it like that, not dumplings - it’s a southern thang, right?) I just love them, when I can get them to come out all nice & fluffy on the inside, not doughy & gummy! Fortunately, to me they’re a cold weather food, & I never know if I’ll get them to come out right (seems to be a “hit or miss” thing for me), so I don’t make them often.

Hi to all you other GGs! I’m going back to doing my “being lazy” thing. Might just take a book & go out & sit in my swing, if it’s not too hot. It’s shady there right now, so it might be ok. Guess I'm like you Marie, on the "chasing shade". Have you noticed that "tree shade" is cooler than that created by an umbrella? Or is that just me? Oh - I’m really lovin’ our FB page! Later y’all.
NCNancy

jess1 07-10-2011 08:57 PM

Had to share this IMMEDIATELY! You'll love it!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_894111.html

Off to rest my weary.... later!

Karen31 07-10-2011 09:39 PM

Well, It was pretty warm here today! It got up to 108! This evening after I had supper (a bowl of watermelon!) I was getting ready to get in the pool when the phone rang. It was somebody wanting to buy the extra treadmill that I have downstairs(have it advertised on craigslist) They just wanted to know if they could come over and pick it up this evening. So I said fine. Well, after about an hour and too late to get in the pool now--well, we have flood lights out there but I dont like sharing the pool with the bats in the dark---she called and said her Dad had the truck and she wasn't going to be able to come until tomorrow! Darn It!! I missed a really nice evening of swimming.

Tomorrow we are going to go and look at another Cadillac like the one we just sold only it is a year newer, '07, and Platinum in color. We drove by there this afternoon and looked at it and it is really very nice..We'll drive it tomorrow and see what we think. I sure miss the other one!

Church was good this morning and then we met my Aunt and my older brother for lunch at Granny Schaeffers. It was very good. Sure love meeting the family on Sunday after church.

Well, I need to sit down and read all the posts and try to catch up with personals one of these times. Shoot, I'm so far behind here I might not ever catch up....But I do enjoy reading about everyone and know that I do think of you all.

Have a great evening.

Riemontana 07-10-2011 10:35 PM

Good Evening All

I had a good day today. I got my plants done and my veggies watered. All my laundry is done and put away. (I often am guilty of doing the laundry without hanging things up :()

Tonight is "the next food network star" which I love. Hoping to get to bed tonight at a good time so I can start the workweek on a good note.

Have a restful evening and I will see you tomorrow.

Sorry, I am too tired for personals tonight.

Rie

glynne 07-10-2011 10:45 PM

Good evening GG's,

Two days down ~ one to go. It was a pretty good day.

I walked at Walmart again tonight on the way home from work. I am already thinking ahead to when it is cool enough to walk outside ~ as to where I might be able to do that. I seem to have to do it before I get home from work. I have such a bad lack of discipline. Once I get home, it is so easy to let it slide.

It seems to be helping too ~ adding in that walk makes my time at home shorter and that doesn't give me as much time to be wanting to snack on something.

Nancy ~ I have encountered different kinds of dumplings in the different areas I have lived. When I was growing up (in Ohio) my mom made chicken and dumplings and the dumplings were kind of a plop of dough that cooked while floating on top of the liquid of kind of a soup/stew sort of thing. Almost kind of a soft slippery biscuit. When I lived in North Carolina ~ one of the ladies at work brought in chicken and dumplings ~ hers was kind of a casserole thing ~ and the dumplings were like strips of dough layered with a saucy chicken mixture. Now here ~ my daughter makes chicken and dumplings ~ it is sort of like what my mom made. It is kind of a soup/stew (chicken and vegetables) and the dumplings are not homemade, but the refrigerator biscuits flattened and cut into quarters and dropped into the pot of soup/stew. So, there are these doughy chunks floating in the stew/soup.

Nancy ~ sorry you have to get up so early ~ why do you have to do that if you are not working?

Sorry ~ to have not done more personals ~ I spent too much time playing around reading on Facebook (internet I guess is my guilty pleasure).

Ok, guess I'd better finish getting my work stuff ready.

Take care

Koala 07-11-2011 07:52 AM

*shuffles in quietly ... hangs head in shame* Lets just say I had a good weekend ... a verrrry good weekend. Mindful eating was not on the agenda :devil: 'Nuff said. :o I see the wagon disappearing over the horizon and I am doing my best to chase after it and jump back on ... :joker:

Lynn - what a rigorous training regime! Good luck on getting to your goal of 8mins walking/2mins running. Apart from anything else, I think working out the maths would defeat me :dizzy:

Karen31 - sorry about your ticker misbehaving! You're wise to keep looking for a car that you love - it's too major a purchase for compromise.

Donna - my little girl kitteh's name is Rumple! Good to see the day out with Granny/Mom went better than expected. It's such a tough stage being the sandwich generation - being the ones who do stuff for parents as well as for kids. Good that your brother turned up to share the joy. Love love love the kitten video - I wonder what was going on in its little mind????

Z - LOL at your description of happy little pounds living it large at the beach - they can hang out anywhere as long as it's not on us! :cool:

Marie - sounds like you had a great visit with DD and family, but it's always a relief to get back to your normal routine. Stories about your huskies are never boring! It's going to be very hard to say goodbye to them when your dogcation comes to an end and you go back to work. :hug:

Bobbi - your garden sounds like a marvel to behold. I reckon it takes the soul of an artist to create and maintain a beautiful garden. I have two kittens and my skill in life is spoiling them rotten ;) LOL at 'family rebellion'!! We often say 'rellie bash' - rellie = relatives and bash = rowdy noisy happy party.

Rosey - Gizmo is gorjuss! Good to see he is getting on with his new sisters - one big happy family :) I reckon your DH is a diamond, no need for a shiny stone! Yay on the 2#, you are soooo close to the magic 100 :carrot:

Gayle - good that the doc took time to explain things thoroughly. Win/win on doing the walking at Walmart - exercise gets done and less time to succumb to temptation. I love the sign from your teenagers - so true!!

Mary - yay for the new scale - sounds like it's a bit more reliable even if it's not very friendly!

Freda - I'm another one who isn't fond of the heat :) In fact, I'm very fussy about my ambient temperature. I've got about a 3 degree range where I'm happy - from about +19 to 21C (about 66-70F).

Rie - my wii is very rude too!! Especially today as I gained weight during my weekend in the "see food and eat it" wilderness. Sorry to hear about the disagreement with your son. It's hard when you know they are trying their best but you know that someone else (you) will have to pick up the pieces when it all goes to custard. :hug:

Karen3 - good to see you are continuing to improve.

NCNancy - sounds like you did plenty of walking, so no worries that you made the most of the buffet. Hope you enjoyed your day doing the very important job of reading ;)

Tea Granny - hello hope you enjoyed your Sunday too :wave:

Toodles!

glynne 07-11-2011 10:00 AM

Good morning GG's,

Off to work. Hope you all have a great day. Hopefully tonight I will be able to catch up on the personals.

Take care

Karen3 07-11-2011 10:16 AM

Morning....well up and dressed been to lab for bloodwork. Should have gotten a chest xray but place was packed. PT checked my 02 levels and when I walk 100' it drops to 87! They don't want to do much therapy without 02 tank. Cardiologist won't order it or see me until the 27th. Did one exercise at kitchen sink and it dropped to 83 and I almost dropped too! See the surgeon at 2pm today. Have small infection at top of incision and bottom. sighhhhhh
just a mess.

Plus the meds that surgeon ordered make me so dizzy. At 4 weeks post op am in worse shape than day2! Got a survey of care from the hospital......OMG am postponing filling it out.

Really feeling weak and teary and just helpless....sorry for the whine. k3

ladyinweighting 07-11-2011 11:13 AM

Good morning Everyone,

Newest “mechanical” issue – I just got a letter from our condo board that we were supposed to get a Borough permit before we had our water heaters installed. The borough requires a permit and an inspection & calls for a drain that would require tearing up our floors and our neighbors’ ceilings. NOTE: the permit must be obtained by 7/21 or we will be fined. I called my contractor who said the drain is impossible.

I HATE homeowning!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess1 (Post 3929072)
Very quick Hola! this morning. I'm off to do a demo gig at Target: the fig newtons that we've been hearing about. I'll let you know what I find out, although we're NOT supposed to sample the samples!!

Hi Donna,

Huh???? You can’t sample the samples?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie (Post 3929161)
Lynn, how close to your $1300 goal? When do you need pledges/donations by?

Hi Marie,

I am halfway there. I need another $650 by Aug 15th in order to participate. Today I am sending letters to all 12 (!!!) of my doctors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riemontana (Post 3929163)
I sure enjoyed the drive in last night except for the misbehavior of the people sitting next to us.

Hi Rie,

That happens in Montana too? We thought public misbehavior was unique to the northeast. My DD and SIL left a NJ beach last week bc of the foul language of the people there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the slim me (Post 3929231)
Lynn, I think it was you that asked about the Oreo looking cookies that I saw, that said they were more healthy than regular cookies. I got a coupon in today coupon inserts. They are called WhoNu. Supposedly they have as much fiber as a bowl or oatmeal, as much calcium and vit. D as a glass of milk, and as much vit. C as a cup of blueberries. You can check them out at whonucookies.com.

Hi Freda,

I just ordered some. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie (Post 3929423)
[COLOR=Purple] [COLOR=Purple]DH found my beach umbrella and it’s propped in the deck umbrella stand. And he’s currently working on fixing my deck umbrella. I’ve been chasing shade around the house. The house is cold (71 degrees) and the outside is warm. Hence the effort to chase shade. Marie

Hi Marie,

I could have used one of those umbrellas yesterday. We loved the festival performance, but it was VERY sunny. I found a skinny spot of shade from a small tree & kept moving my lawn chair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancyoyo (Post 3929474)
Hey GGs, Hi to all you other GGs! I’m going back to doing my “being lazy” thing. Might just take a book & go out & sit in my swing, if it’s not too hot. It’s shady there right now, so it might be ok. Guess I'm like you Marie, on the "chasing shade". Have you noticed that "tree shade" is cooler than that created by an umbrella? Or is that just me? Oh - I’m really lovin’ our FB page! Later y’all. NCNancy

Hi Nancy,

Hmmm – not sure if it is cooler, but worked for me yesterday!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess1 (Post 3929881)
Had to share this IMMEDIATELY! You'll love it!!http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_894111.htmlOff to rest my weary.... later!

Hi Donna,

I will check it out as soon as I post this. I LOVE kitten videos. Have you ever watched that cutest cat show on the Animal channel? Too cute for words!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen31 (Post 3929940)
I was getting ready to get in the pool when the phone rang. It was somebody wanting to buy the extra treadmill that I have downstairs(have it advertised on craigslist) They just wanted to know if they could come over and pick it up this evening. So I said fine. Well, after about an hour and too late to get in the pool now--well, we have flood lights out there but I dont like sharing the pool with the bats in the dark---she called and said her Dad had the truck and she wasn't going to be able to come until tomorrow! Darn It!! I missed a really nice evening of swimming.

Hi Karen,

My DD & SIL are still trying to sell their B&B. This kind of thing happens all the time to them. People call and make an appointment to come see it & then never show up. They have VERY little free time. They hate it when they get stood up like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynne (Post 3930064)
I walked at Walmart again tonight on the way home from work. I am already thinking ahead to when it is cool enough to walk outside ~ as to where I might be able to do that. I seem to have to do it before I get home from work. I have such a bad lack of discipline. Once I get home, it is so easy to let it slide.

Hi Gayle,

I am convinced that finding the right time to exercise is half the battle. Everyone has a different “right time.” Mine is between 5:30 and 6:00 in the morning. If I tried to exercise in the evening, I would NEVER do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala (Post 3930382)
Lynn - what a rigorous training regime! Good luck on getting to your goal of 8mins walking/2mins running. Apart from anything else, I think working out the maths would defeat me :dizzy: Toodles!

Hi Koala,

I just make those up. Actually, helps me to do stuff like this. Takes my mind off the pain:rollpin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3 (Post 3930605)
Morning....well up and dressed been to lab for bloodwork. Should have gotten a chest xray but place was packed. PT checked my 02 levels and when I walk 100' it drops to 87! They don't want to do much therapy without 02 tank. Cardiologist won't order it or see me until the 27th. Did one exercise at kitchen sink and it dropped to 83 and I almost dropped too! See the surgeon at 2pm today. Have small infection at top of incision and bottom. Sighhhhhh just a mess.

Plus the meds that surgeon ordered make me so dizzy. At 4 weeks post op am in worse shape than day2! Got a survey of care from the hospital......OMG am postponing filling it out.

Really feeling weak and teary and just helpless....sorry for the whine. k3

Hi Karen,

You know that you can whine all you want. You are safe here. I am so sorry that you are having these problems. Please take it easy and cultivate patience – I KNOW it is difficult. None of us is very good about patience, but your body REALLY needs some TLC right now!