Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #61  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Stayed up until 2 a.m. watching "Sex and the City" and told SamCat to let me sleep in... he did, and I got up at 9:30 a.m. How decadent is THAT? I feel like an almost-human again.

Nothing scheduled on the agenda today. Back OP AGAIN (at least 38 times since the first of the year... sigh!), because last week sucked, and I responded predictably. Onward!

Hope you're all well. Have a good weekend!

Last edited by jess1; 03-05-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #62  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Afternoon and Happy Week-end Golden Girls. I remember when DH and I looked forward to week-ends. Since we’re both retired, it’s like any other day.
Nancy…good job on the bargains, I can’t resist a bargain either. I’m really bad when I see bargains at the grocery store. We had coffee on sale a couple of weeks ago and I purchased 5 large cans, you should have seen the look I got from DH. But they keep forever, why not? We have several gently used clothing outlets in town but I forget about them. I did purchase a new pair of blue jeans the other day, mine are so baggy I have to wear a belt with them.
Quote:
Today I went back to the thrift store that was having the half-price sale, & spent $20. I got 5 shirts for SO, & for me - 2 sweaters, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of pants, a jacket, & a pair of shoes, oh, & 3 books. I think I did pretty good! Now, it’s time to stop shopping, & to spend some time getting rid of all those old clothes that no longer fit! I really need the closet space! (But I just can’t resist bargains!)
Jane...thanks for your thoughts and prayers,
but it appears that Tiffany goes thru this every month when she’s PMS-ing and they are going to try again. I can’t stand him, we were hoping she’s dump him for sure this time. He’s not the father of her two boys, Dami’s in 1st year college and Lukas is 13, spend lots of time over at his dad’s place so the kids really aren’t affected.
Quote:
Bobbi - we went through the same thing with my older DD, and it was rough, but we all got through it. It's hardest on the children, but they are tough, too. I'll keep your DD in my thoughts and prayers.
Glynn. like I told Jane, wish he were gone and he is a jerk. She has to beg for money every month to pay all the bills. She makes more than he does and it really irks him, thinks she can pay everything herself. I get mad just thinking about the creep!
Quote:
Bobbi ~ sorry about your daughter ~ hope all goes well and she can get away from that “jerk

Justmary…Sorry to hear of your financial problems, and groceries are so darn expensive. Are you cooking just for yourself since you’re divorced or do you have family at home? One thing I do for lunches is make a big pot of vegetable soup, no meat in it. That would be cheap to make and great for your diet lunches. I don’t put meat in it because I want to save the calories for my supper. As for the whining, that’s what we’re here for so whine away.
Quote:
I will do what I can with what I have. Focus more on portion size and overall calories for the day and exercise.
Please forgive my whining earlier. I feel better now.
Rosey…how can you walk if your feet are paralyzed? Is that from your weight or something else? You could easily break your foot or ankle, huh? I love the picture of Daisy, her ball on DH’s shoulder, so cute. She’s saying, come on….lets play!
Quote:
its hard for me to pick up things from the floor and my grabber never where i need it, the coup de grace was the jar of jam that flew out of the refrig and landed on my foot..it didnt hurt as my feet are paralyzed but it sure left a bruise grrrr life little frustrations..

Lynard…We got our tax money back and in our checking account Feb 28th, I told DH check the balance on the jeep loan. I’m tired of those monthly payment and I know darn will the money will dwindle away unless we use it toward the jeep. He thinks we can pay the whole thing off, about $3500 left and we‘re getting back about $4000. Yipee!
Quote:
I’m sitting here at the computer procrastinating on getting the tax preparations finished
YoYo…Hi, I remember you too and the grey ghost.. Our daughter has a grey blue weimeraner puppy, he's so sweet but like to smell everyone’s crotch…….I hate that!
You’re very close to goal, good job. What are a few great tips you used in your journey?
Quote:
5 measly lbs from goal but got sidetracked over the holidays and backslid a few pounds. Back on track now (except for the attack on the St. Paddy's day cookies Dhbrought home on Monday ) so ticker is still about right. I am honestly a whole different person than the depressed lump that joined in way back when and I have all of you to thank. I will try harder to stop in more often and get to know you all again.
Zoe…I’m doing a pinky swear to you right now, it’s easy. Just like walking only easier. I was actually thinking of you when I wrote everyone should try it, YOU rock climb for goodness sake! You and family can rent them the 1st time like we did, but you’ll be buying your own once out. People in their 80’s go cross country skiing.
Quote:
. Bobbi, do you absolutely and totally, and pinky swear PROMISE that X-country skiing isn’t too difficult? You’ve got me interested, but I also realize that what might be a breeze to someone else (you)
tea granny…Geeez, that‘s a great savings for you. You‘ve inspired me to check out some of the outlets we have, I‘ll bet I could have purchased jeans a lot cheaper. $386 savings to you is SWEET!
Mary... I saw that segment on Dr Phil, was going to google it and see what it’s about. Have you started on it yet and please let us know how you like it.
Quote:
Dr Phil promoted the 17 Day Diet so I ordered it from Amazon.
KarenFla …I think you spend more money on groceries than most of us, but then you cheat. You live on the coast where seafood is abundant, have beautiful growing weather for fresh fruits and veggies. I would be in my element if I lived there, a year around garden would be heavenly, I’d plant lots of fruit trees. But I’d hate the hurricane season. Oh, and I forgot about your crocs.Have you ever had serious damage to your home and property? If we lived next to you, we could come eat at your place every night, how much fun would that be for us. I'd catch on when you turned your lights off and cooked in the dark, locked your doors. The savory aroma would give you away.
Quote:
Going do the grilled vegies with shrimp and scallops. LFmayo biscuits and SF apple tarts. Got red peppers, scallions, potato, yellow squash and zucchine, plum tomatoes stuffed with goat cheese and asparagus
Donna...you have a great sense of humor, love it. I'm thinking we all have gone back OP for the 38th time this year. That's the story of my life, the only difference now is I get right back on the wagon before my weight gets too high.
Quote:
Back OP AGAIN (at least 38 times since the first of the year... sigh!), because last week sucked, and I responded predictably. Onward!
I'll have to catch up with everyone I missed another day. This is getting too long and I have to get a chicken in the oven.
Hi KarenMo...are you sweatin' to the Oldies today?
Freda.......where are thou?
Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-05-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good afternoon...all social obligatons are now done. Amen! The lunch was really good and they ate well. They eat their main meal at 12N. Have enough leftover for a couple of lovely omlettes or fiatattas. MOstly I want a martini....no 2 martiniis....maybe 3. Since am a cheap drunk 3 will put me out for 3 days.

The biscuits forgot to rise and i flew downtown for loaf of good bread. They ate the whole loaf. The tarts and even the toll house cookies are gone, too. So except for the martini I'm OP. Old time friends are nice to have.

DH and I stopped in to see Pete while on our first date back in 1957. Dh and I have known each other since I was born. He and I share a birthday. My Dad delivered us both 3 years apart. I was 17 when we started to date. We were laughing today about how young we all were. And how much we thought we knew. DH and I got older but Pete's the same....not fair.

Hope you all are having a pretty weekend cause it is beautiful here. We ate out on the lania and just now the sun is starting to cross the table. The roll up blinds died last summer.....got to look for some new ones. Love that disfused light they give....seen those mesh ones but must be expensive...hard to put something out that will be in the weather. The roll ups were less than$10 each...need 5!

I tried another prepared meat dish from the butcher...this was pork loin florentine. It was long strip of pork with spinach and parm cheese rolled into a pinwheel. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes. Excellent. Easy. Portion wee bit over sized but still okay. Great way to try new things....cook in tray comes in so not pan to wash, toss steamer vegies in microwave...so easy! Think am retiring a chef!!!!!!!

The sun must be over the yardarm some where....where's my martini?????karen3
Old 03-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

ps...Bobbi...nope don't spend alot. Got the shrimp out at Shrimp landing when the shrimpers dock. Vegies are super cheap and after years of cooking for club I can cut corners and keep the taste.....Cooking frugal is fun...k
Old 03-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #65  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

I agree about the being frugal bit. Now being on a very minimal pension I have to make things stretch as much as possible. Make a lovely veg soup and whizz it up so that 90% is creamy. Keeps quite a while in the fridge and put some in the freezer.

It has been really cold here for the past week and it really gets to me and makes my back more painful. Trying to keep as cheerful as poss but it's not easy when having to struggle to get to the kitchen for just a quick snack.

Hope weather warms up a bit soon
Still, if that's all I have to moan about I'm not doing too bad considering lots of people elsewhere in the world...
Old 03-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #66  

Hi everyone..just finished watching grsons basketball game this am..their team lost but they sure played an exciting game..not sure whats on my agenda today hmmm maybe another lazy day. Bobbie my legs from the knees down are paralyzed from my back surg 3 yrs ago..my weight im sure contibuted to my back troubles over the yrs but it was a bone spur that pressed on my spinal cord that caused the paralysis.. i went to rehab and they taught me to walk with a walker and i use the wheel chair when im out and about..when i do walk my ankels sometimes roll and i cant tell what im stepping on and my balance is terrible..ive learned to live with my handicaps and its ablessing i can walk at all.hoping your weekends going great rosey
Old 03-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #67  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Rosey...that's what I was thinking, how do you know what your feet are doing if you can't feel them, yikes! Do you think they will ever get better once you lose more weight?
Quote:
i went to rehab and they taught me to walk with a walker and i use the wheel chair when im out and about..when i do walk my ankels sometimes roll and i cant tell what im stepping on and my balance is terrible..ive learned to live with my handicaps

Hi Emaline.....When I make my noon soups, I always cook the tomatoes and zucchini first, put in food processor and whiz until smooth, then add it to the soup pot with my other veggies. I love the creamy texture too, sometimes I cook cauliflower with the tomatoes, then blend up before adding other veggies. Unfortunately, cauliflower gives me um, you know.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-05-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #68  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

Just stopping by to say "hi". Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Our snow is starting to melt - hope it keeps on until it is GONE! I'm cleaning out closets & getting rid of stuff that I'll never wear again. Off to the thrift store it goes. And I'm trying to do the one new thing in one old thing out. That is hard on my Scotch blood! :LOL: I have a "guest" dog for the weekend & she is keeping Baxter (my ShihTzu) busy which is really good for him. Catch you all later.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #69  
GmaTo8

I see that YOYO lost her post while using Spellcheck. Here's a tip: if you use Mozilla Firefox as your server, instead of Internet Explorer, you will see misspells as you type. They are underlined in red. This is so handy! Firefox is faster, too, and has never stalled for me the way IE used to do. Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #70  

Hi everyone..Bobbie they taught me to always be aware of my surroundings esp where i place my feet,one step at a time and i always check there's nothing to trip on and my dogs move out of my way when im up and about,..its really hard on snow or ice,when i transfer from wheelchair to stand and pivet to get in the car,im always afraid i will fall and break something..do you know rehab had a car in one of their rooms that you practiced getting in and out,and a sm aptment to learn to get in and out of bed,do laundry etc..they have little tricks that help..its been 3 yrs and im confident in what i do and how..ive only fallen 2 x and that was the first yr both times we had to call the paramedics for assistance the 2nd time i was getting in the shower and lost my balance not a stitch on but my dh but a towel over me befor the cutest paramedic came and helped me gee whiz i was embarassed but not hurt thankfully,it would be a miracel if i got back the feeling in my feet as my weight drops but i figure i would have had some change by now if it was going to happen.i decided to be lazy today im reading james clavel's Gaijin.my poor dh,,i dont know if the cures worse than the bacteria they are trying to kill,he had a bacteria called hpylori in his stomach which caused the ulcers.so hes on 2 diff antibiotics strong doses which make him nauseated and running to the bthrm and a headache,besides recovering from the surg and gastritis..and hes bored and crumpy..i would be too. i tied a new recipe its for wls people but think youd like it too..its like those impossible pies with bisquick or a small quiche they are baked in a mini muffin pan just right for a small snack. ill post the recipe if anyones interested..well here i am rambling on and on sry so will check in later ttfn rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 03-05-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey G.G.s,
Stopped by to see what everyone’s doing. Didn’t even bother trying getting on the net yesterday, figured it would be too busy (that seems to keep my connection from working). I see lots of you have been posting. I’m not even going to comment on everything, way too much going on! Just wanted to let you know I was here. I’m really sleepy, so….. Catch you later.

Night, night.
NCNancy
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #72  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

yoohoo...changed my avatar pic again to one we took at the museum of science yesterday. I look friendlier, I think. To myself, anyway. Omigawd. Did we ever walk our feet off! Sure can tell that I've been a slug all winter. Last time we took the kids to the MOS (last April) I don't remember having any trouble walking at all. In fact, we even left the museum and walked another mile and a half to Quincy Market, which, for those unfamiliar, is a big open air marketplace with all kinds of street performers, booths with all manner of stuff for sale, and it's surrounded by indoor stores...Nordstroms, Banana Republic...oh, so la-di-dah and upscale, doncha know? But that was last year, and this was THIS year, so we stayed at the museum which was no problem for the kiddos, because it would take a week or more of steady walking to see (and explore) everything, but oh, my feet! I was so glad that the place closed at 5:00. (We got there at 11). If it had been open any longer, I might've collapsed on a bench and refused to move all night long. ANYWAY, we then took the kiddies out to eat, and what with dilly-dallying about, never got them home until 9:00. We'd picked one up at 9:45 and the other at 10:00. That was one LONG day, let me tell you! Luckily, the Museum has upgraded their snack bar to a full-fledged food court - just with prices about 10X the average mall food court and less choice but better quality. They now have a very well stocked salad bar, which I helped myself to, and, Tah-dahhhhhh, stayed O.P.! Stayed O.P. at supper, too...we ended up at a Ruby Tuesdays, and they have a great salad bar, too. Today, we have to do our grocery shopping, but after that, it's going to be very non-movement-oriented, trust me. I will, however, eat correctly, as I am now making menus and doing pretty well at sticking to them.
Yep, Nancy, I can't help wondering if at some point, the internet is going to reach critical mass, and there will be so many users that the whole thing will just crash. Even with our service, which is decent - we use our cable provider for internet, phone & TV - there are times when it slows down.
Well, Rosey, let's hope that once you've lost all your weight, with the reduced strain on your back, you'll experience even better mobility. It seems likely, I would imagine. Losing the weight certainly can't hurt, right?
Sherry, a lot of our snow is about gone, too. Lovely sight, even with all the trash emerging that people tossed into the snow. (I could never understand people who just throw their trash out their car window, or drop it wherever they're standing - we're like birds fouling our own nests, some of us humans).
Karen3, I've seen those prepared meats - the rolled, stuffed roasts - and never thought to buy one. With your recommendation, maybe I'll take the plunge.
And speaking of high grocery bills, Bobbi, mine is outrageous! I suppose it depends on what part of the country you're from, and with the relative short growing season here in the northeast, eating fresh produce and fruit (which what we MOSTLY) eat) is pretty expensive.
PT, after yesterday's workout, I slept in until 9:30 this morning, which is close to unheard of for me. Sure felt good, though. The little kit came in a few times and purred around my head, but I gave him a few feeble pats and went off back to sleep! I hope you have a better week ....seems like the improving weather will make us all feel a little bit better. I'm feeling a little less "blah-ish" but am looking forward to feeling a LOT less!
Oh, btw, I survived my stress test! (Didn't think I was going to, actually). Now we have to wait and see what they decide the results are. I suppose I should be a little concerned, but frankly, the fact that I survived it and lived on to walk the museum makes me feel that it's unlikely that they'll find anything to worry about.
Lyn, how was the St. Paddy's day parade? (Is it already almost St, Paddy;s day? Good thing I don't work in Boston anymore - the whole city loses it's mind celebrating!)
Phenomenal clothes buys, Tea. I've been indulging a bit, myself. Of course, I'm always indulging. I don't know what I'm going to do with all these clothes once I retire. Post 90% of 'em on Ebay, maybe.
Keep up the good work, Gayle! I'm really, really proud of you!
Karen31, .6 down is way better than .6 UP, am I right? Yes, I'm right, so YAY for you, girlie!
I'm sure you're enjoying your friend's visit, Lynn, so we'll expect you to report in when she leaves, okay?
And you are where, Freda? Working? Ack. Hope your weather has been treating you well, at least!
Hey, Mary - still tooting around the park, or are you on the road again?
And, JustMary...I'm sure sorry about your struggles. Let's hope they're temporary ones!
Bunti, feeling better, I hope?
Well, THIS here chick is over and out (gotta make my menus for this week).
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Z
Old 03-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #73  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Quick check in... trying out a new font and size. We'll see...

PT/Zoe, when will you get the results of the stress test? Was it a treadmill test? Good thoughts... but, then, you always know that!

Gotta run! Everyone, have a lovely rest of the weekend!

Last edited by jess1; 03-06-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning! I am still plugging along OK around here. I did my body test on the wii but haven't decided if I am going to do the workout or "attack" this house! My house really needs to be "blessed" too!

We haven't seen our son since Tuesday afternoon about 3:30 when he went to work. We did get a text from him on Wednesday about noon saying he was OK and had woke up at the bartenders house!! Would be home soon. I didn't reply to him. Then got a second text wanting to know if I got the first text---replied Yes. then a third from him--you mad? Didn't reply to that one either and haven't heard a thing since. Friday I sent him a text and said, "Have you moved out/on? Whats the deal?" And Dad called and left a voicemail on his cell. Haven't heard a word. We drove up through the parking lot of his job last night and his car wasn't there. So I called them and asked if he was working. They said he is supposed to be but hasn't showed up yet. I told him I was his Mom and his Dad and I have been looking for him a couple days. Then about an hour later his job called here to see if we had heard anything from him 'cause he still hadnt' shown for work. They said they would call if he showed up. No call back. I called the jail and he isn't there so guess that is good, but it just makes me more angry. So tell me again the many blessings of having kids-- kind of hard remembering them right now! Guess you can tell I'm pretty disgusted.
So maybe if I "attack" this house it may be just shining by the end of the day and I know I will burn lots of calories!

Ok enough of my rant--I really hope everyone has a Wonderful Sunday. I decided not to go to church today... just too frustrated.

Last edited by Karen31; 03-06-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #75  

Height: 5'1"

Good morning Golden girls,

Wish all of you a blessed Sunday. I worked Friday and Saturday was DGD's birthday party at Jeepers. For those of you that don't know, it's one of those places that have parties for kids and have lots of games and rides. 12 kids and most of the parents just dropped them off. It's not a confined place, it's in the middle of a large mall and one door opens to the outside and the other into the mall. Maybe we're just a little over protective, but i would not feel comfortable leaving my child there with just the host. So, DH and I both took groups of little girls to different games and rides. naturally, non of them wanted to go to the same place. Walked my feet off too. And while i'm in the complaining mood, so many of the parents droped off kids that were not invited to the party. This was not a home party. It costs over 15 dollars a child. Is this common? Am I really as petty as I sound? Anyway, Kenzie had a great time and no one wanted to leave. Except the adults. ha!
I had one small piece of pizza (yuck, so greasy) and that was dinner.

Karen31, Sorry you're having so much trouble with DS. When do they grow up? Not too sure about that one. Hang tough, hon, tough love!

Z, sounds like a great time with the kiddies. I love spending time with the Grands, they are so fun. As far as the weather goes, Rained all day friday and snowed again Saturday. Looks OK outside today, so far. Sun is shining but lots of snow on the ground.

Rosey, I work rehab and we have the car and the home unit too. Our job is the encourage the patients to reach a leavel where they can return home and care for themselves. I'm sure your mobility will increase as the weight comes off. Did the Dr. say you might get feeling back to your feet? Are your legs paralized or do you have loss of sensation?

Donna, We've all been OP too many times to count. But only for a day or so, right? Got to jump right back on.

Emaline, I'm frugal too (or cheap). I make menu's around what's on sale at the grocery stores and what I have on hand. I've done it for so long it's just second nature to me now. And I think we eat really well. It does take more thought and some work, but I figure I have more time than money.

Bobbi, I'm another one that makes lots of soup in the winter too. All kinds, and always have leftovers to freeze.

Kaaren3, Have an apple martini for me too. or 2....

Sherri, Hi to you too. I've been cleaning house all morning too. How do things get so dirty in so little time? Anyway, haven't gotten to the closet yet. Honestly, I only do closets twice a year. I know, i'm tooo lazy. So silly to keept hings that other people could use.

Lynn, How you and you friend are having fun. See you soon.

Freda
Closed Thread