Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #346  

Karen 3 you make me chuckel as i watch biggest looser and have my once a week 1 scoop of no-sugar fat free ice cream go figure rosey
Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #347  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs,
Just stopping by to say a quick hello. I’m still not feeling quite “right”. Don’t really feel bad, just not good. I think it’s probably a slight cold.

Shirl, Happy Belated Birthday to you! Sorry I missed it.

Zoe, two more pounds! Yay! How’s the kitty? And, Maureen, three pounds in two weeks! Yay for you! I guess sometimes stress & worry can help with weight loss, but I’m sure you don’t recommend it. Sherry, I agree, a .2 lb. loss is still a loss! Yay!

Donna, I’m glad you found something SamCat will eat. My previous cat had feline leukemia (he only lived to be 2 yrs. old), & when he was sick, it was very difficult to find anything he would eat. For several months, all he would eat was chicken. I was so happy to get him to eat, I didn’t mind cooking it for him at all. Bobbi, I don’t have a barn, but there are a couple of small sheds. The outside cats also spend a lot of time on the back porch. It’s covered, but not closed in. They do tend to come & go, sometimes showing back up after being gone for months, & sometimes not. That’s why I don’t allow myself to get too attached to them. And, we occasionally have new ones just “appear” & stay.

KarenFL, that Spa treatment sounds just maaavelous!

I’ve lingered here longer than I intended, as usual (such good company!), but I really do feel like just going somewhere warm & quiet, & curling up with my book. Hello to all of you I missed!
NCNancy
Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #348  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Just lost a post! Shoot!

Oh well, I'm here and have been reading posts to catch up.

Congrats to all who've lost!!

We just closed on our house sale today Popped open a bottle of champagne that we never opened New year's Eve. Now we only have 3 more to sell. (2 are on the market now).

I have been good about going to the gym...Eating right not as good.

The home show was good. We got some ideas for the sun room we hope to add on someday. I got inspired to till the soil in the vegetable plot, but it's still so darned cold her. Now they are predicting a nor'easter this weekend! My poor crocus are afraid to open up.

Tea - glad you made it home safely, and lost weight. I doubt any of my kids will take up bull riding - so that's out as a weight loss trick for me!

Lynn - Good luck/skill on your run.

Hi to everyone else.

Lyn
Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #349  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Hola, All!
Happy Belated Birthday, Shirl!

Jane, hope you’re off to do something FUN! “See” you when you get back…

TeaGranny, congrats on the weight loss, although I’m sure you’d rather not lose it via the route you took! How is your boy?

I pulled out an old (OLD! 1987!!) VHS tape of Kathy Smith doing basic exercises. The hairdo alone gives me a laugh, but it’s also very, very basic, which is what I need. After about 5 minutes, my leg has had it, but that’s 5 minutes more than I did before, yes? And if I stick with it, every day will get longer and stronger, yes? Sounds good to me! The weight is starting to creep up again, so it’s time to buckle under again. Gawd, I hate this! Here’s a cute video:

http://www.petplace.com/cat-videos.a...ailynewsletter

Speaking of which, but not at all, here’s a little article on Zumba: http://www.everydayhealth.com/fitnes...unter_20110329

The day really got away from me. I made a humongous batch of Thai Pineapple Curry Rice, and I think it’s good, but it’s definitely NOT for everyone’s taste! I think it’s probably healthy, too, since there are lots of vegetables and nothing except the brown rice for carbs.

Hope you’re all well! Later, gorgeous golden ones!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #350  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello everyone. Been a busy day around here. First I got up late AGAIN but I did get my workout in anyway. Then we went to get groceries and a few other things that Tim wanted to look at at Harbor Freight. That pretty much used up the whole afternoon. Decided to just grab a oven roasted chicken subway sandwich for supper since it was getting late. They are pretty good.

Watched Dancing with the Stars. I agree it is going to be a good season because no one is really that bad of a dancer. Glad that I am not a judge on it. I agree with the decision tonight although I really don't care much for Wendy....guess it is the attitude she shows. Oh well...

Donna, pretty funny video of the cat. I went ahead and shared in on FB too! And thanks for the article on Zumba. I still haven't opened mine up. Maybe this weekend or next!

Bobbi, no pool yet. It is only 38 degrees here and we haven't even taken the cover off yet. That won't happen until the first part of May. But I am getting anxious.

Hello to everyone---got some other things that I need to get done tonight. Hope everyone had a good day!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #351  

Height: 5'3"

Just watched Biggest Loser...wow, lots of surprising things happened! I wish Rulon would shape up...I really would miss him if he gets eliminated so want to see him do well. All the contestants are looking so nice now but this show showed they still aren't really ready to do it on their own. I'm so proud of the girl that was eliminated though...she has worked hard at home and looks so nice. Such a pretty young woman!

I went a bit over in calories today but my carbs are ok. Taking a little extra med is helping I think as my bs was nice today. Since I didn't go over on my carbs I am not sure I will take any extra tonight as I want to see how my bs is tomorrow. If it is still high I figure I'll know I need that extra 1/2 tab. The doctor left it up to me.

Another thing I really need to work on is how much fat I am getting. Most of my fat is healthy fat but the doctor said it still plugs up the arteries if you get too much and I notice I almost always do. So going to try and work on that. My goal is 45 g which is really not that low but I still have trouble.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #352  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

As Jane mentioned above, I'm hanging out a lot. Holler if you need anything.

(I really should be posting in here but South Beach and the Diabetes Forum keep me really busy. I definitely qualify as a Golden Girl although I'm so old that I'm platinum! )
Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #353  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning...just flying thru.

Donna.....Not only do I need new hearing aids but glasses, too. I read that you were doing a Kate Smith exercise program. Now that is one I could do.

Mary.....Agree about Rulon. He has a long way to go.

Ruth....welcome Thank you for taking care of us. I read the SB pages often since SB has become my way of living. Golden chicks laugh at me and the beans beans beans.....

Off to bridge....face is tender this morning...wonder if can sandpaper off tummy fat?????? ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh karen3
Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #354  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good morning. I just finished my wii workout and thought while I was entering my stats in fitday and drinking a cup of coffee I would see what is happening here.

I really like the biggest loser too but I was a little surprised that the red team didn't lose weight this week, even without the trainer. I thought that if I had the money I would love to get a trainer but if you end up relying on them that much that a week without them throws you off your game that much I think I will just keep plugging along like I am. I have been entering my miles in the 1,000 miles in 2011 thread and when I did it today I thought that I would share it over here. Kind of interesting.... all those miles and I haven't even left the living room!!
Total to date: 328.267 miles.

January--55.35 miles
February--116.34 miles
March--156.577 miles

Well, guess I need to get going---Hello Ruth, nice to see you over here. pop in once in awhile and say Hello you are always welcome!

Have a great day and I will check back later.

Last edited by Karen31; 03-31-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #355  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Keep up that walking, Karen31, and you can come visit us in Massachusetts! Wowza! GREAT going, chickie!
And Karen3, for the record, I’m not even snickering – never mind laughing – at your bean consumption! Since I found that recipe for black bean patties, we have them once a week on pita bread with shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, avocado, and a smidgeon of lite Miracle Whip. DELISH! I also put black beans in my chicken vegetable soup, and we love hummus and even falafel patties, which make an awesome sandwich, too. I am SO with you on the bean thing…but do have to caution anyone who thinks they might like to try upping their own bean intake that taking Beano beforehand is really a must.
Welcome, Ruth, and platinum is a prettier color than gold, so be platinum and be proud!
Mary, I betcha that now you’re home, it’ll be a lot easier to plan what you’re going to eat. I’m not fanatical about keeping track of my fat intake (or carbs, either, for that matter) but since my diet consists mainly of lean chicken, fruit and vegetables – oh, and either oatmeal & blueberries or yogurt with blueberries & Fiber One cereal for breakfast every morning – I think I’m not taking in much fat.
I think I’m finally back in the groove, too, where I’m not tempted to eat anything except what I’ve planned for myself. Somehow, that remark that Gayle made about “Jabba the Hut” has stuck in my mind (Thanks, Gayle!!!) , and when I’m even slightly tempted to overeat or eat something I shouldn’t, that image pops into my mind and the temptation goes right away. Of course, I do this every spring, and get down pretty close to my optimum weight, and then by the end of summer, I’m on my way up the scale again. I’m going to try really hard not to do that this time!
Oh, a belated happy birthday to Shirl from me, too! Okay. Now I have to come clean…I can’t remember which one is Shirl! Bunti? No, right? I dunno. Please advise?
PT, Kathy Smith sounds about right for me, too…but please…will her hairdo like gross me out? I mean, is it all teased up with frizzly-frowzy bangs or what? Inquiring minds need to know! Oh, and that spring around the corner? Bah and humbug. I think that’s the only spring I’m going to see for a while yet. We’re supposed to be getting a snow storm on Friday. I’m SOOOOO depressed!
Good grief, Lyn, how many houses do you own? Any more on the Cape? (I’ll take one of those – will you give me the Golden Girl discount?)
Hiya Nancy! Yoko is headed for the vet on Thursday. I hope she’s not allergic to dust or something. If so, I will have to get tough with dh about his housekeeping.
Rosey, I’ve gotta tell you that I am REALLY enjoying watching your ticker move steadily downwards! You’re really doing great!
Bobbi, no more chia seeds, no. I didn’t see that they were doing much for me. I’ve come down 8 pounds in 4 weeks, and it’s just been from counting calories and entering what I eat on Fitday. Of course I plan out my menus for the week, and then stick to them. I’m SO good at this, and yet I always manage to sabotage myself when I’m a few pounds from the home stretch. I’m going to really try hard not to do that this time around.
Okay, I gotta get out of here and do some work. See you later, gators!

Z
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #356  

Height: 5'3"

Hello all! We got up late again! Oh the life of the retired!! Breakfast was two of the Morning Glory muffins with a little Smart Balance and green tea. Yummy! Now my daily work is done plus a bit more so I'll take a break and chat a bit.

This is my day to do thing I tend to forget about. I make a list as I think of them and try and do them on Wed. So far all I've done from my list is make up menus and a shopping list plus the cash withdrawal we will make tomorrow (run around day).

Went to check the calories on a mocha mix I haven't used for quite a while and decided to pull all the drink mixes out and clean the shelf. What a mess! While doing that I happen to look out the window into the back yard and guess what I see in my dh's new globe bird feeder I got him for Christmas? It's suppose to keep the large birds out and it has seemed to do that but there was a squirrel inside eating away at the sunflower seeds!

I don't know how long he'd been there but I watched him a good 15-20 minutes. He finally got a little tired of eating and you could tell he wanted to get out...he sat and seemed to ponder his situation a while, then tried different ways...tail first, head first. The openings are just large enough for a small bird to get through but I figured if he got in he could get out (at least if he didn't eat too much!). LOL

It was fun to watch him. It was obvious he wasn't sure how to do it but he kept nibbling away even while working on the problem. Sometimes he'd just hang there with his head and front legs sticking out like somebody please help me. I rapped on the window which often scares them, but this was one of the new young squirrels and isn't quite so fearful yet. I went outside (but didn't get close) and yelled at him but again, he ignored me. Finally my dh came home and he walked out there with a broom...as soon as that squirrel saw him he started bouncing around frantically..trying to figure out a way and he finally made it. I hope he learned a lesson but I doubt it. But it was fun to watch. Again, the life of a retiree!

Zoe - I do eat beef and some snacks I probably shouldn't. Like my dh will toss me a snack-size candy bar now and then and I eat popcorn and Sunflower seeds. I count these in calorie and carb counts of course but I should either stop eating these or eat them a lot less, because of the fat. My triglycerides (fat in blood) have been high for some time and two doctor visits ago, it was 399. My doctor said that was high enough to be concerned now and I cut back some. Beside clogging the arteries, fat in the bloodstream also affect diabetes. My bs was way high today again. I didn't take the extra Metformin last night and I guess I do need it.

Bobbi - I haven't been using the chia seeds or even flax seeds much recently as I've been forgetting. Do you have to grind the flaxseeds for them to work? The other day someone told me they eat them whole. I tried and it is certainly doable but I was thinking they had to be ground to do their thing, but now I wonder if just chewing them is enough?

Well better get back to my To-Do list. Have a good afternoon and evening everyone!

Last edited by maryea; 03-30-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #357  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

PT/Zoe, you made me chortle when you asked about Kathy Smith's hair.... it IS just as you describe!!! Hope the picture comes through......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kathy Smith.jpg (14.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #358  

Hi everyone..nothing new going on here..all i can say about that picture jess is ouch!(not the hair but the move ) i finished the book "water for elephants" i had no idea what it was about when i bought it but must say i really liked it,very well written! i did up the dishes and am doing laundry..hohum so boring..its that kinda day. hope yours is more exciting (((hugs))) rosey
Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #359  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Spent some time at the college photo lab playing with my photos from St. Augustine - LOTS of good ones.

Tomorrow I actually have a "free" day. I won't know what to do with myself.

It is supposed to "SNOW" here on Friday - keep your fingers crossed for a nice day on Sunday.

I'm sitting here grading papers and watching Survivor. For our other S fans, I think Phil is absolutely losing it. Do you think he's falling apart because of the situation or was he just crazy to begin with?

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 03-30-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #360  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Lynn...We think Phil is weird, I doubt he's a government agent. Can you imagine someone working for the government walking around camp in pink, saggy briefs? With his 'thingie' hanging out? He's crazy to begin with, but makes the show much more exciting to watch. I couldn't stand Russell and hooted when he got voted off. My DH was rooting for him, he said he adds drama and excitement to the show.

Quote:
I'm sitting here grading papers and watching Survivor. For our other S fans, I think Phil is absolutely losing it. Do you think he's falling apart because of the situation or was he just crazy to begin with?
Article from Dr. Weil

Quote:
[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']High Fiber Foods and Your Heart[/font]
Eating lots of fiber when you're young - or middle-aged - could cut your lifetime risk for cardiovascular disease. A study from Northwestern University's medical school shows that consuming 25 grams of fiber daily (whole foods, not supplements, drinks or fiber bars, are best) can result in a statistically significant lower lifetime risk of cardiovascular disease. The investigators examined data from a nationally representative sample of about 11,000 adults. Taking into consideration diet, blood pressure, total cholesterol, smoking status and history of diabetes, the researchers predicted lifetime risk for cardiovascular diseases. They found that adults between the ages of 20 and 59 who had the highest fiber intake had a significantly reduced lifetime risk of cardiovascular disease compared to those whose fiber intake was lowest. Fiber might exert its influence on cardiovascular health through its known beneficial effects on weight control, cholesterol and blood pressure. A related study from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston and the VA Boston Healthcare System showed that eating breakfast cereal - especially whole grain cereal - daily can decrease the risk of high blood pressure by 20 percent.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-31-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Closed Thread