Age 50+ Counters Club #2

You're on Page 4 of 7
Go to
  • Bunti Sorry about the flu going through your house. I hope it just keeps moving right on out of you house "very quickly". I think it just comes down to what works for you. If what you're doing is working, by all means keep doing it if are happy with it.

Jane So glad WW is working for you. I made the roasted chicken in my new oven and it was very good. We like garlic and lemon chicken. So I took garlic, onion and some other herbs which I saw on the Cook Yourself Thin show. Not sure I got all of them, but used what I could remember and put it in the juice of a lemon and rubbed some of it it on the outside of the chicken and then took what was left and half the lemon and put it inside the chicken and baked it for a while and then turned it on convection bake and let it brown on the outside like they do at the store. It was really good and the best part is I know there isn't any bad stuff in it. I never thought about making little balls of foil and then setting the chicken on top of them in crockpot but certainly plan to use that idea next time I cook a chicken. Would be good for a roast as well.

Well, yesterday was my first day on Atkins and I am very pleased with the results of my FBS and later readings of BS. My FBS was 152 mg/dl yesterday morning... the highest it has been to my knowledge. By 1 pm it had come down to 130 and by 6:30pm it was 113. This morning my FBS was 110. When I got home from BSF and the store today around 12:30 just before a snack, it had come down to 92.

Last night I read some things written by some people who do Atkins and learned that there are some diabetics who cannot eat eat grains etc. I was amazed to learn how my experience fits a lot of them. It is very obvious to me that my body is telling me that if I want to get controll of my BS and improve my health that I have to eat Low Carb. I did learn that some people cannot do Induction for 2 weeks or longer... which I seem to understand to usually be diabetics. One person said they didn't realize till later that they could have gone on to OWL phase and Atkins would have worked for them. So I'm especially using the Atkins Induction to get rid of the sweet cravings. Then I will move on to the weight loss phase until I reach goal and slowly move grams of carbs up until I find out how much I can have and still lose weight.

This is actually working well for me. I took the 1 Minute Muffin that SB and Atkins uses to replace bread and seasoned it a little differently and made it the size of a small plate and made myself a low carb pizza using Canadian bacon, pizza sauce, mozzerella cheese and low carb veggies. The crust was a little different but it turned out to be a very good pizza the whole thing was about 8.5 carb grams.

Breakfast is always the muffin cut in half and made similar to an Egg McMuffin. Sometimes it has regular bacon or Canadian bacon, cheese and egg on the muffin. Today I had a steak with a salad, salad with mayo which has no sugar and I had SF Jello with a little bit of cool whip and one of our stores carries a chocolate milk that is only 3 grams of carbs for 8 oz. So I am very pleased with the food. I don't feel deprived. I think it will be fine for me.

Have a great day OP.
  • Just a fly by to say hello!

Trish - what is the 1 minute muffin?
  • Morning everyone. Quick flyby here too. Trish, I eat "limited carb" on my WW, because I find that certain foods trigger me terribly, both to eat, and to have water retention and sore joints. (I also have allergies, but the eating triggers and sore joints are different.)
  • Quick flyby here as well.

Bunti Interesting you mention allergies. I thought I might be allergic to cheese, but I found a cheese stick with 0 carbs, but usually try to use those marked <1 although most have at least 2. I found that 2 T of Fritos brand chili cheese dip has 3 and I can mix it with salsa for about 4 or 5 total of carb (I think that is what it came to it's written down) and have nachos by substituting bakenetts for the nachos. Long story to say that with all the cheese I've had the past few days with the pizza, nachos etc, you would think I would be really suffering with allergies. I was shocked that I haven't had to have any allergy meds and this is Day 3 on A Induction and no Atkins flu. I am usually suffering by now. My body seems to want this and I'm learning to love it. As for joints, I learned years ago that grapefruit is really good for the joints. Something about the good stuff replacing the bad. Can't remember all the details any more.

Another good day for the FBS was 116. I'm enjoying the Atkins woe better this time and it is very evident that my body absolutely loves this and functions better with it. I'm back in full swing of doing things the way I did back last summer when I found out I was diabetic. I had told doc, I just don't want to eat all that chicken, fish etc and I missed my carbs, but recently I began to ask myself. Which do I want... A healthy body and healthy blood work or all those carbs and the health complications that go with it. Choice is mine. I decided to choose life and health rather than the carbs.

Jane and others

Hope everyone has a great day.
  • Still fighting flu/cold here. Ugh, we are all down. And it is 11 degrees and blowing 50 if I did want to go out. We will see how tomorrow is.
  • Hello!

Is anyone wanting to continue on with this thread? Seems most of our members have left.

Trish - you have a very good outlook about the carbs. And I am so glad Atkins is working for you.

Bunti - I hope you're all better by now.

My weight loss has stalled, and I had to admit to myself that it's because of eating too much on Sundays. It's easy to over-indulge when the whole family is here, and there are comfort foods and yummy desserts. But I want this weight off more than I want the extra food, so I am determined to do better from now on.

It's windy here, but the temp is already over 50. I may tie on a scarf and work in the yard this afternoon.

Have a good day!
  • I love this thread. I have been missing due to my flu. Not sure where everyone else is.

I think this has been a tough week weatherwise for alot of us, maybe that is why we aren't checking in??? I am liking my way of eating lately, and losing very slowly. I think/hope things will pick up when I feel well enough to exercise.

Hey everyone, where are you?
  • Bunti - good to see you here, and I hope you're better. Well, even if there are only a few of us, we can keep the thread going. Small groups are easier to handle, anyway, when it comes time to comment to each one. Like in all threads/groups, people come and go. Sometimes I think that when they fall off the wagon, they don't post.

Hello to anyone reading this. Please jump in and join us.

NSV for me: I had lunch today with a friend that I hadn't seen since last summer, and she went on and on about how much weight I've lost. Made me feel so good! Now, I just have to behave myself on Sundays, too! Knowing that I will have to report in here will help keep me on the straight and narrow.

Have a good weekend!
  • Hi Jane and All! I'm Counting Calories and...
    watching those fats and carbs. I'm eating very little pork or red meat. Mostly chicken, fish, yogurt and occasionally stuffed manicotti (ricotta)or veggie lasagna. It seems to be working really well! Mainly I eat "whole foods"-as little processed stuff as possible tho I do love a cup of Progresso Chickarina soup-part of my dinner tonight. My plan means that I eat a LOT of salad and veggies so that I get filled up and I added in exercise two weeks ago-Leslie Sansone's 1 and 2 mile walks. Two months ago I wouldn't have bet that I'd be exercising now!

Jane great for you that folks are noticing your weight loss. It's a great esteem builder when we've been working hard!
  • Hi Jane and all I'm doing good now that I've settled into the fact that I have to low carb. Although I use Atkins as a basic thought, I am mostly counting my carbs and keeping them around 20 g as Atkins recommends. I kind of learned by accident that I have to for 2 reasons 1) to get my FBS down and keep it there and 2) I learned that in order for Metformin to help me lose weight that it works better with low carb. It wasn't what I really wanted to do, but if I want to be healthy I have too. But now that I've settled into that fact, I'm actually enjoing it. I'm reading some more Intuitive Eating type books and learning to eat when hungry... eat what I love that is low carb... enjoy what I eat, but stop when I'm satisfied. Kind of like the old WW Core isn't it? Any way I've done a lot of reading on some diabetic low carb siges and what they have experienced and learned. And I have to say that this is not so bad. I'm beginning to enjoy it.

I had to do quite a bit of research because on WW P+ I started gaining again and my FBS started going back up. It even hit 152 at one point which was 11 pts higher than it was when I was diagnosed back in the summertime. That's where I learned that Metformin works better with low carb. I also learned that people on Metformin cannot eat grapefruit. I was working against my meds. My weight went up to 218 and my Fasting Blood Sugar was staying in the 140s. I am 4th day back on 20 g carbs and weight this morning was 211.5 and FBS has been 109 for 3 mornings. So I have learned what works for my body.

As for keeping this thread, I would love to have a place where we share what is going on with us. I really enjoyed the way we started out sharing what we ate etc. Even tho I low carb and others do other things, I found ways to learn how make some things into low carb.
  • KEEP THIS THREAD PLEASE!!

I'm doing WW new program & love it! Isn't it funny how different things affect us differently? It's cloudy now but the snow is melting today. Hope it keeps up until it is all GONE!! I'm cleaning out closets, etc, trying to get rid of stuff that I'll never wear again & send it off to the thrift store. Trying to do the one neew thing in, one old thing out. Hard though as my Scotch blood keeps appearing! Have an extra dog this weekend & she is keeping Baxter (my ShihTzu) busy wanting to play. It's good for him. Everyone have a great weekend. Keep on keeping on! BFN
  • Hi ladies,

Tasmin - I eat mostly whole foods, too. Once in awhile I slip in a prepackaged food, but not often. Have you ever tried Larabars as a snack or mini-meal? Dr. Stork from the Doctors show said that's what he eats on the run. They are just two or three ingredients, such as almonds and cherries, or almonds and dates. Very good, very filling, and very clean.

Trish - yes, your plan does remind me of WW Core, which is a very healthy WOE. Good for you, learning what's best for your body! That is so important.

Laffalot
    - I, too, try and weed out my closet as I bring in new things. With an on-going weight loss, I don't have all that many clothes at any given time. My Too Big stuff gets donated every time I reach a new size. I don't have room to store it, and besides, someone else gets the benefit of it. I'm doing WWP+, too. I still share my bananas with Neal, though. Something inside me totally protests at eating a whole one, and calling it "free", haha. Have fun with the dogs.

Ok! We will keep the thread going per your requests. There is something to be said for small groups.

After a rough February, I am back on track, losing again. It feels good to be in control and feel confident that this is what's right for me, and my body.

Something new I tried - I added a teaspoon of pickle relish to my lite tuna salad today, and I really liked the zip of it! My taste buds did a little dance.

Hope you're all having a good weekend. Take care!
  • Hi everyone. We had a fun day today, and I broke the 250 barrier. This morning was 249.4. Wahoo.

Laffalot, I love the new WW program too, except get this: The online WW counter says I am losing too fast. It is because I had that one week where I lost 4 and a half pounds from the tummy virus that was going around. The rest of the weeks have lost from 2 tenths of a pound to a little over a pound. This gives me a 1.4 pound a week average and they are worried it is too fast. I think it is just about right. Kind of funny to get that message when I posted my weight.

Jane, I did the same thing with my tuna salad today too. The ff mayo tastes really blah to me- I added some onion powder as well.

Trish, I am doing what I call limited carb. Not as low as Atkins, but I am lucky it works for me. And I attempt to eat fresh whole, home prepared foods, as well.

Tasmin, I eat a lot of veggies, and more fruit than I ever have. I didn't consciously cut out some of the foods that I find myself eating less of (cheese, snacks, etc, just replace them with other foods. Love them snow peas for a crunchy snack, or slice cucumbers, mmmmmm.) I still eat red meat, just not as often. If I could eat shellfish I would, I can eat halibut, salmon, tilapia etc. I miss shrimp, clams and scallops greatly.

I think this thread is terrific in that we can all find our way for successful eating for health and weighloss and still give each other moral support.
  • Hi Everyone,

Nice to see everyone posting and sharing. I am moving on to more carbs since I'm not craving sweets any more which from what I understand is kind of what Atkins Induction is really all about. I'm trying 30 - 40 gram carbs. The New Atkins book says you can work up to 45 g, but I like to have room for error.

Jane and Bunti My low carb version of tuna salad.. I take my tuna and put salsa, dill pickle relish and diced jalepenos in it and then add just enough regular mayo to make it like a dip. Then I take my pork skins and eat it. Sometimes I substitute chicken for the tuna. Eat as much as I need to be satisfied and save the rest for the next day. I saw what looded like a terrific recipe on tv for salmon croquettes where they used mashed potatoes for the filler instead of crackers etc that I wanted to try when I was doing WW, but didn't get around to it. Still want to make them, but I haven't figured out what to substitue for the potatoes yet. I know low carbers use cauliflower in place of potatoes, but doesn't really do it for me. I guess I could use the ground flax seed in place of it. However, it may not take a lot of mashed potatoes for the whole thing so I may try it any way.

Bunti CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss. I really don't thing an average of 1.4 a week isn't too fast. I thought 1-2 lbs was considered safe.

Laffalot I need to do some closet cleaning out too. I did some when the kids came for Christmas. but need to do it again. In fact, I've been noticing things that needs to done around here, so I need to try to get busy and get a head start on some spring cleaning done. Plan to start that tomorrow... it's called "exercise" you know?

Tamsin78 I have a 1 mile Leslie Sansone dvd and I need to start exercising regularly again. Just may get my dvd out and start doing it again. I used to do 3 days a week. I'll have to do that and see how my legs do with it. The last time I tried it my legs ached a lot and read the other day that it might be caused by the Metformin I take. I hope not. I've read some bad side effects about Metformin which I haven't had so far. I have also read that there are some really good benefits about it too which I would love to reap. I never had the aches like that before Metformin and will have to give it up if I keep having the leg problems when exercising and go to something else. One benefit is that it is a med that can be used to help you lose weight by suppressing your appetite.

I'm bad at doing individuals so I hope I got everyone. If I missed anyone I didn't mean too. Hope everyone is doing well and had a good weekend.
  • Hi all,

Bunti - a big whoo hoo for you breaking the 250 barrier! That is just wonderful! I think you are losing at a good rate. The counter can't take in all the variables. I like (red) onion in my tuna salad, too. I bought one of those onion keepers they sell in the grocery stores, and it does a bang up job! Onions last so much longer! For cooking, I buy chopped, frozen onions in a bag. Easy peasy!

Trish - I wonder how mashed squash would be in that recipe? Or even mashed turnips? Might be worth a try. I've been eating a lot of spaghetti squash when I need some comfort food. Instead of spaghetti sauce, I add some Promise lite margarine, and 1 Tbl. shredded mozzarella cheese. So good, and healthy, too.

Lots to do today. Take care!