Age 50+ Counters Club #2

You're on Page 3 of 7
Go to
  • Hi all,

Trish - good idea about taking the calculator w/you to the store. It will be hard for me to not "count" fruit! Katie hasn't had a baby shower yet, but there are two scheduled for her. It's amazing how much baby stuff costs now! Yowza!

Where is everyone? Busy, busy, busy? I know I have been very busy, but wanted to pop in and say hi.

I have chicken breasts in the crock pot with some low fat Italian dressing drizzled over them. Smells so good!

Take care and stay OP!
  • Jane Your chicken breasts with the Italian dressing sounds soooo good. Even sounded good to my Mr. Picky eater. Will be trying that one soon.

I found the baby things are sooo expensive when we bought some things for baby Jaxx when he was born. We gave them a gift card for him which helped with formula etc. But since I couldn't go for the baby shower being over 600 miles away, her neighbors had a Diaper baby shower party when they found out Tony and I were going to be there after he was born so we could be a part of things. Being the sweet GM I am I just had to get something else for him. We bought him some little outfit and I was so excited to buy his first pair of blue jeans. They have them for new borns now. He was so cute in them and his Mommy and Daddy were so thrilled to see him in them. April has been putting pics of him on FB since they took the helmet off and he is getting such a cute personality. I think of you a lot and know you can hardly wait till your new GS is born. I've had a GM tell me once when I congratulatd her on a new GC that this was not her 1st and sluffed it off because she had several others. I've always been excited about each grandbaby because my feeling is that each one is just as "special" as the others. I know you are the same way.

We have a lot of people missing. I hope it is because they're having beautiful weather like we are and are out enjoying it.
  • Hi Everyon - I'm going to try the chicken breast in the crockpot too.....sounds yunny. I had a good weigh in yesterday - lost 2 lbs. so I'm a happy camper. It is a beautiful day, sunny & almost warm (still need a coat though). It snowed overnight but it is melting fast YAY! Nothing else new here.....going to go clean up the inside of the car. And may even go get it washed..........Keep on keeping on.TTYL.
  • Quick hello. Had a good day so far.

Laffalot Good to hear from you. We've been having nice days here too. It's cool in the morning and warmer later in the day which is normal for this part of the country. Don't think we will get any more of the white stuff here this year. I can't try the chicken breast recipe until I get to the store Saturday. I've got the chicken, but not the Italian dressing.

Y'all have a great evening. Catch y'all tomorrow.
  • I don't want to cross post - so please check out the Golden Girls thread - what happened to me to day was hilarious. NSV!
  • Hi all,

Trish - like you, I have been excited about each grandchild, and I can barely wait to meet little Holden! Yes, we have lots of people missing.

Tea Granny - I'll pop in the GGs thread and see what your NSV is. Congrats for it!

Laffalot - a big YAY on your 2 pound loss! I need to clean out my car, too. It's a mess after this long winter.

WW is going fine so far. Seems so wrong to not count fruit, haha.

Later,
  • Not much happening here. Had beautiful weather again today. New high for this date of 76 soooo nice.

Everybody have a great week end.
  • Hello Everyone!!

It is a snowy and cold day here, but it is the start of a 3 day weekend, and after a 60+ hour work week not counting drive time, I can use the time off. Need to catch up on the house, and get some valuable down time.

I am having a frustrating morning. Up 3 tenths of a pound today. (for the week) The first time I haven't showed at least a teeny tiny loss. I am thinking of weighing every day this week to see if I see a pattern. (ie. certain foods causing a gain)

I AM down 1 inch on my hips this week, a half inch on my waist, and a half inch on my bust. Thigh the same, down 3/4 inch on ankle, and I just took a baseline measure on my upper arms for the first time this week. I stuck closely to plan this week, but twice had rotisserie chicken, and have found now that the one store that used to prepare and roast their own, now buys it commercially pre-prepared and "injected with a solution of salt, sodium phosphate, and spices" I also found out that many places who have a "healthy" chicken alternative sandwich or salad are injecting their chickens with "maltodextrin, modified food starch, salt, spice,cilantro, natural and artificial flavors, hickory smoke flavor, partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, corn syrup solids, guar gum, locust bean gum, coconut oil triglycerides, and water."

I guess I need to make sure to roast my own chickens now. The last store that used to prepare their own, now does the pre-made. I was totally within my points this week, as well. I only used 9 weekly points for the week. Not sure what to tweak other than prepared foods and sodium. Don't think I am going too heavy on the fruit, but I could be. I am tempted to count bananas as at least one point, as when I ran them on the old plan, the size I am eating are 2 points. (they have 27 grams of carb)

Trish, Laffalot, TeaGranny and Jane, nice to see your posts, and I hope all are well. Hope to see more of us check in soon.
  • Doesn't sound like this point system would be much better for diabetics if you don't count fruit. Fruit can really affect my bs.
  • Hi all!
    I'm wondering if I can join your group here. I'm 55 years old and about 50 pounds overweight. I was just diagnosed on 2/14 with type 2 diabetes and have my appt. with the diabetes educator on Tuesday 2/22. I'm sure I'll be counting SOMETHING.
  • Hi all,

Trish - the weather has been nice here, too, but rain and lower temps are moving back in. At least we know spring is right around the corner!

Bunti - I find the rotisserie chickens from the grocery stores are just loaded with salt, so I have been putting mine in the crock pot, on a big wad of foil. Use whatever seasonings you like, and let 'er go! I leave the skin on to cook it, but then throw it away before serving. YAY for the lower measurements! And keep your chin up about the scales being fickle. As long as you do what you should, they will go down again. About the fruit, I limit mine to 3 a day, and count a medium banana as 2 fruits. I just know I wouldn't keep losing if I eat more than that.

maryea - how are you doing?

mamaduck - Anyone can join this group, and I am so glad to see you! Yes, I think you'll be counting something, too, maybe food exchanges? Do diabetics still do that? I guess you'll find out on Tuesday. Be sure and let us know what your educator says.

Hello to anyone reading this.

Today has gone so fast! I've been retyping my food points list for my binder, to include the new Points Plus values. Time consuming, but worth it when I track the points.

Also spent some fun time with the grands. They fill my heart.

Have a good weekend!
  • Here's the crock pot recipe I use, except, instead of Lawry's seasoned salt, I use Mrs. Dash, or whatever seasoning sounds good that day.

Crock Pot Rotisserie Chicken

4 - 5 lb baking hen
    Lawry's Season Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    aluminum foil
    crock pot liner(for easy clean-up), optional

Place liner inside the crock pot.

Make 4 or 5 aluminum foil balls to set inside the crock pot.

Rinse & pat dry baking hen. Sprinkle generous amounts of the season salt/pepper (or seasoning of your choice) inside the cavity of the chicken, and a bit on top of chicken.

Set the chicken on top of the foil balls. (This keeps the chicken from soaking in the juices.)

Place lid on crock pot and set cooking temperature to HIGH for 6 hours.

~Melt in your mouth good!~
  • Blood sugar not doing what I want it to do and just can't let this keep going this way. I'm going back on Atkins Induction so I'll be counting carbs starting tomorrow. I want to be well and I know that within 2 months last summer I had everything under control and #s were great. My health is at stake and when you know what works and don't do it... you are asking for more trouble.

Hope everyone is doing good. Those in very cold ***** weather stay warm and to those of us in nicer weather enjoy. It won't be long we will hit the rainy season so I'm going to enjoy this nice weather.
  • Hello everyone. Busy and the flu in our house, but still on plan. Added stretches and some walking today. Trish, I find it hard not to go to Atkins too, but I don't seem to be able to stick to it anymore, and gain back when I stop, so I am going to stick with this for awhile longer.

Jane, thanks for the crockpot recipe, I will use it this weekend.
  • Trish - I wish you well w/Atkins. Like Bunti said, the only drawback there is the quick regain if you slack off at all.

Bunti - sorry about the flu, and hope all is well at your house again. I hope you like the chicken.

I have to apologize for not posting here more often. I've been so very busy, and my schedule is going to be getting worse with spring coming, and the new baby, too.

WW is working well for me while "spending" my points on healthy foods. I feel great!

Gotta run - take care, and stay OP!