3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Age 50+ Counters Club #2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/225102-age-50-counters-club-2-a.html)

Bunti 02-10-2011 12:16 PM

Morning!!!

Jane, we are all counters here, you're right. Whether we are....counting calories, counting carbs, counting points, counting on moral support, counting the pounds lost, this is the place for us!!

DH is much better today, as is granddaughter. Not quite optimum, but on the healing road.

Still on plan, but ate something yesterday that has made me hungry today. Not sure what it is, but I think it was some baked ham that tasted really sweet. (We did our family dinner night at work, and baked spiral ham was the entree/protein. )

Today I am loading up on vegies and fruits to take to work, and will push the water. Gotta get rid of this feeling. One of the things I like most about the WW is that I am not hungry, losing slowly and feel that it can be a way of life. It will take me a while to figure out foods that I might need to avoid. I already know about white flour, anything with a high carb load, and of course the things I am allergic too, but I believe I am finding others. Learning to feel the difference between hunger, mind hunger and cravings is going to be a positive for healthy eating becoming a way of life.
I truly believe in food addictions, and want to avoid triggering mine.

Joyful, I hope you are feeling better today. Trish, glad you're enjoying points plus.

32 degrees and raining here. On top of snow. Slippery mess to drive in-- better leave now to be safe.

Have a terrific day everyone!!

pattygirl63 02-10-2011 09:39 PM

Hi Everyone.

Not sure what is going on. I'm doing great staying OP... the WW plan and enjoying it. Dropped 2 more lbs and finally down to virgin territory. I'm excited about that however, my FBS isn't as low as it should be. Not as high as it was there for a couple of days, but not where I want it to be. Today I changed and ate all the starchy carbs earlier... none after main meal. I got the book Life Without Bread today and plan to start reading it. Maybe it will give me a clue of what to do. BS is great at night before I go to bed so I know this is just the morning thing people talk about, but Metformin is supposed to keep it from happening and I've been getting at least 7 hrs sleep and sometimes more. I read some where that a lady said her doc told her that it didn't matter what her BS was in the morning, it is more important what it is later in the day. It has been below 110 later in the day and at bedtime and was 82 one evening this week. I was so busy cleaning house today (got lots of exercise just cleaning) that I forgot to do the 2 hr blood check after meals. Doc doesn't require it, but I do it trying to learn what might be making the BS high. I'll check it again before I go to bed which I've been doing lately. Since I've been doing the WW plan perfectly, I have to believe that in time the BS eventually catch up. I also remember reading about a diabetic man who ate balanced meals from all food groups because his wife thought it was important and he said the BS finally came down to normal. I'm hoping it will do the same for me. It did before when I first started WW in December so I'm sure it will again. Maybe my body just has to get over eating all the junk I did at the end of last month.

Bunti I find the new WW plan so much easier to follow. I really don't want to do anything else. I agree with you that it is so doable. I hit the fruits and veggies a lot and it keeps me from being hungry. I think this is the easiest plan WW has come up with and so healthy. The WW meals and junk foods seem to cost more points and personally I am so glad. I am very picky as to what I spend my points on which makes it a lot easier for me to eat healthy. I look so forward to the fresh fruits and veggies that we get to eat in the springtime.

I think I've talked my DIL into doing it and she is hoping her Mom will do it with her.

Jane I noticed the Carb Counters thing and intended to mention it to you and forgot. I really think it is so neat to have a place where all counter whether it is counting carbs, calories, points or whatever we can share with each other. I personally have gotten some great ideas for snacks and meals from everyone. We didn't get the snow or else it didn't stick if we did. Radar showed it came over us, but I didn't see any. How is it going with you? Do you still have snow on the ground? I am so ready for spring. Today has been the first time in a long time that I felt like cleaning. Feels good to feel good again.

Everyone else hello:wave: and I hope you all had a great day.

Jane 02-11-2011 08:48 AM

Good morning,

Bunti - I'm glad to know your DH and DGD are better. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between real hunger and "mind" hunger. I think it was Dr. Oz who said that if you are truly hungry, you would eat anything - a cracker, even, but mind hunger is satisfied only by your trigger foods, such as carbs or crunchy foods. Hope you did ok on the slippery roads yesterday.

Trish - I am so excited for you that you are down to virgin weight loss! How was your FBS this morning? Closer to where you want it? No snow here, and our temps are going up into the high 40s over the weekend. Whoot!

Hello to anyone reading this. :wave:

I've been toying with the idea of doing WW again, and have sent off for the new PointsPlus calculator. Converting all my favorites foods to points will be a pain, but once I have them listed in my binder, logging them will be easy. I copied the Healthy Guidelines, and those are rules I like to incorporate into my eating already.

Have a good Friday!

WebWoman 02-11-2011 03:11 PM

Hi Bunti, Jane, and all,
I just started the new WW this week and love the plan and the fact that I'm not hungry. I love veggies and fruits anyway, so maybe it's the plan for me. Hoping to lose 2-3 lbs by next week. Something about the "mind hunger": If you think you're hungry, ask yourself if eating an apple would satisfy that urge. If not, then you're probably not REALLY hungry, but it's something else.

pattygirl63 02-11-2011 03:34 PM

Jane Fasting BS was really good this morning 109 mg/dl. Just barely under 110, but it was there. Lunch today was very carby so not sure what that will do for tomorrow's reading. However, I remember my doc said to take the Metformin with largest meal. Yesterday I ate the most carbs at lunch and took the Met and I did the same today. Then last night I ate egg/veggie omlet. I remembered someone on a diabetic site said that drinking red wine at bedtime lowers some peoples blood sugar so I had a about half wine glass before I went to bed. Tonight I will eat protein and veggies tonight and have red wine again before I go to bed and see if that was what helped lower it. I know today will be the day I use my WAP, but then that is what I save them for.

Webwoman I heard someone in WW say that years ago about a carrot. I have to say I like your apple idea better. An apple will satisfy me a lot better than a carrot if I'm hungry. Somehow 1 carrot just wouldn't make me feel like I had eaten anything. Thanks for the apple idea. I will be using that one.

You know the one thing I like about new WW is the fruit and veggies allowance. I remember when my deceased Hubby's Mother's husband died and she moved close to us. She always ate pretty balanced, but she ate lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Her wrinkles actually cleared up and she looked better and healthier than I had seen her except when she was young. She was probably about the age I am now in her sixties. I have always it was the fruit and veggies that she ate. When her sister started telling her they didn't need all that fruit and stuff and insisted they share a WW tv dinner (can you imagine halfing a Smart Ones dinner with someone?) that Mother started getting sick and looking older again. While I believe that the other food groups play an equally important roll in nutrition, I think the fountain of youth is in the fruits and veggies. Just MHO.:dizzy:

:wave:Hello to all of you reading this. Have a great weekend!

m1708 02-12-2011 05:12 AM

hello

I am 51 and want to lose 42 lbs - am doing a meal replacement diet - well meant to be - i know it works - well they all do if you stick with them - trying again after a massive eating fest last night - good thing is i hate the way it has made me feel - and also found this iste which looks great and just what i need to help me along my way and hopefully i can also help other

thanks

Jane 02-12-2011 07:50 AM

Good Saturday morning,

Webwoman - good to see you here again! I read on the other thread that you have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Now that you will be treated for that, you should see some changes in the way you feel, for sure!

Trish - it makes sense that eating healthy foods would make a person look better, and no, I can't imaging sharing a tv dinner with anyone, haha. I hope your FBS will be good again today. Maybe you've hit on something with the wine.

m1708 - :welcome2: Glad to have you join us! You are right about today being a new day, and time for a new beginning. Stick around for encouragement and support!

Hello to Lou, Joyful R, Tea Granny, McGoo, Gwen, Michou, HadEnough, Kittycarlson, ANewCreation, Maryea, and anyone reading this. :wave:

I'll be working on converting my food chart to WW PointsPlus (P+) using a spreadsheet. I already have the calories, proteins, fiber, etc. listed, so that will be helpful.

One of the granddaughters are here to help me with spring cleaning today. I like spending time with them one-on-one like this.

Have a good weekend!

pattygirl63 02-12-2011 10:27 AM

Jane - Sorry I forgot to enlarge my last few posts. I'm really pleased with my FBS this morning. It was 110 mg/dl which is really good with the foods I had yesterday heavy on carbs. I did drink lots of water and liquids, but forgot to drink the red wine. I did eat my zucchini last night which as strange as it may seem helps keep my FBS down. I think the red wine would have helped keep it under 110 which is where I really want it to be. I think you will like the WW plan. I'm still doing WW P+ and doing low carb at the same time MOST days. With the new plan I'm finding it easier to do that. It is hard for me to switch to any other counting as my mind thinks in terms of Points. Tony has a BIL who used to talk calories when we would all go out to eat. I told him one day "You think in terms of calories because that is what you are used to and I think pts because that is what I'm used too". I really love not having to count fruit and veggies since I like doing mostly low carb. I read a book on low carb where you didn't have to count veggies. So I find no problem with the new +plan.

Missing a lot of people right now. I hope they will check in and all are doing okay.

Headed out to beauty shop to get hair done. Then store and Zaxby's. DH loves their Buffalo Finerz. The work out with pts+ to be 6 pts for 3 of them so I'll have that and throw a salad and maybe asparagus with it. I love steamed asparagus and steamed zucchini which both seem to help lower my BS.

Y'all have a great week end. Jane enjoy your family. I'm sure you will have you kids in, right?

Tea Granny 02-12-2011 11:08 AM

Hi all - yes the old WW I'm using is the 123 Success and it's based on points - I nearly had the book memorized :) last night was a bad one and I fell of the wagon big time :( I ate about 20 points over and it was all high carb junk and today I feel horrid. I ended up feeling tired and crabby last night and it was soooooo not worth it. Back on today - onward we go! :)

Laffalot 02-12-2011 02:21 PM

:) Morning everyone - I've been thinking that this thread was just for people counting carbs. :(..........read on.............and it's not! :D Anyway I'm on the new WW program & really like it. For me it's the fruit & veggies that are such a help. Good luck to all of us as we head to our goals............Keep on keeping on, eh?

pattygirl63 02-12-2011 07:12 PM

m1708 and Laffalot:welcome3: Glad to have you here with us. There are some who count calories, some count carbs and some do exchange diets and it seems that many of us count WW pts. I think some do the old WW points plan and some of us do the new WW points plus plan. So by all means anyone is welcome who wants to be a part of this thread. We can all learn from each other and definitely support one another. I love hearing what different ones are eating and many of the ladies here share recipes.

Tea Granny I did that yesterday myself. I hate it when I get off too and sometimes it is by choice and sometimes circumstances beyond my control. However, I have been finding that some of the foods I used to love doesn't have the same taste or hold on me they used to have. Some still call my name from time to time and once in a while, I try them usually to just be disappointed. I hope that comes from eating healthier. I think the important thing is to be OP 90% more than we are off. I heard someone say about exercise not to worry about the 10% we can't do but to work at the 90% we can. I have kind of taken that over into my eating as well although I like thinking of it as more 95% OP and 5% off when it comes to eating right. I think we dieters have a tendency to want to be 100% so badly that we set ourselves up for failure.

Laffalot I especially love the fruits and veggies we are allowed on new WW plan too. I enjoyed a small banana tonight. I think they feel like a treat to me and also keep me from feeling hungry.

Bunti 02-14-2011 11:37 AM

:val1: Good Morning Counters!!

Happy Valentines Day. :val3:

On this day, when we think or remembering those we love, remember to love yourself!! That is what we are doing when we take care of ourselves by eating well and moving.

My DS left a phone message when I was in the shower reminding me of the above, and it seems important to pass it on.

Have a great day! (We got 10 inches of snow last night, I hear its warmer in the lower 48.)

pattygirl63 02-14-2011 02:15 PM

Happy Valentine's Day to all you Counting Chickies!!!

Have a great day!!!

Everything going good here. Not much planned here today. Just staying OP.

Jane 02-14-2011 07:31 PM

Happy Valentine's Day!

Trish - I just got my hair done, too. Well, I got a bunch of highlights, and just love it! My WW P+ calculator was delivered today, and figured out my daily points. To that, I added 49 for the week. Seems like a lot.... So, let me get this straight, we don't have to count veggies except the starchy ones like peas and corn? I know fruits are free. Plus, I've got the Healthy Guidelines.

Tea Granny - I'm glad you got right back OP!

Laffalot - I had clicked on the title prompt from before we changed the name of the thread, but I'm glad you noticed the difference, and I hope to see you here often!

Bunti - your son is a sweetie to encourage you in that way, and thank you for passing that thought on to us.

Hello to anyone reading this. :wave:

I've been working on adding WW P+ to my food lists and think it will be so cool when I get my favorites done. Seems odd to not factor in calories.

Have a good one!

pattygirl63 02-14-2011 09:16 PM

Jane Glad you got your WW P+ materials. Yes you are right. So far I have found most veggies to be 0 pts except for the starchy ones. Hope you like it. I'm letting my on line membership run out in March unless I change my mind. However, I've thought about getting another calculator before then so I can have one at home and have the other one in my purse for when I'm shopping. I'm bad about getting to the store without it. From what I saw on FB your daughter must have had a baby shower and looked like you had a fun time. Hope she had a nice shower with lots of good things for the baby.