Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #256  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
And now I need some of the Girl Power/Sister Power/Cyber hugs and prayers! I'm taking Granny/Mom to the ER. Her knees have finally given out, and she can't even stand. I'm hoping that a cortisone shot will help. I dread the idea for her of knee replacement surgery (at 88????) and there's no way she's going to hold still for a nursing home. Please send your good thoughts upward!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #257  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Yep, "sister power", "chick power", "girl power"...whatever it is, it most definitely works for sure. I do feel that we've created something very special here...women supporting women...women caring about each other across the miles. The truth of the matter is that many of us may never meet - my "retirement bash" notwithstanding - but we have a strong psychological connection despite the physical distance; hooray for the internet, y'know? Much as I fight against all the new technological breakthroughs, I've got to say that connecting with you "sisters" of mine has been a very bright spot in my life.
As for the doctor reports, the doc that I saw last night called me at about 9:30PM to say that my primary care doc (who is the fella who is a family practitioner who took care of my two younger kiddos, and now cares for them, their spouses, AND my grandbabies) wanted me scheduled for a chest x-ray in addition to the tests she had ordered. I used to see him, but changed to a female doc about 5 years ago. I don't much like her - tried, but "cold" doesn't begin to describe her - and so haven't gone much beyond what I HAD to go in order to keep up my BP prescription. For the past 2 years, I've just called the office, and they've re-upped the prescription for another year, no questions asked. When my kiddos started getting concerned about the swelling in my legs and such, my dd called my old doc (their current doc) and he said of course he would take me back on - and wanted me seen even tho he couldn't see me himself last night. So, anyway, now I'm back in the fold, so to speak, and he's head of the family care department at UMass Medical Center in Worcester, which is a huge teaching hospital and pretty well known for the quality of care. The doc I saw last night works under him, and I liked her a lot. ANYhoo, back to getting calls from docs at night now, I guess. I'd forgotten how comprehensively these guys follow things up.
Omigosh! It's 50 degrees outside! Much colder for the weekend, according to the weatherfools, but today is a nice reminder that spring will be here, sooner or later.
I'll check in with each of you later today or tomorrow sometime. I actually have some work to do right now . In the meantime, I hope you are all having a peachy keen day!

Z
Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #258  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Omigosh, PT - lots of good intentions, prayers and love coming your way from me for a good outcome for granny/mom.
Z
Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #259  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

You all were right. I lost the 3 pounds I gained last week. I just got back from the gym where i did mega exercise! Good for me.

Z...glad you're back with your old MD. He sounds very responsive.m Yes Hooray for sister power!!

Rosie - glad you got to talk with DH last night. Hope he's home soom.

Karen - saw the photo of you crushed van on FB. Ouch! Glad everyone was ok.

Lyn
Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #260  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Donna, you and your Mom are in thoughts and prayers...

Zoe, glad that you have a Dr. that you like--- that does make a BIG difference.

Lyn--that is my Aunt's van and she is doing ok today-- still a little sore and waiting for the insurance adjuster to come out.

Another beautiful day here! I think we have some cooler weather coming in the beginning of the week though----Got to love it while we have it!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weather.jpg (7.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #261  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Sending prayers and {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}} for Rosey and her husband, Zoe for your doctors appointment, and Donna for your mom.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #262  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Prayers to all, Zoe, Donna and Rosey. It seems like everyone has a crisis now and again. Zoe...it is nice that we can come together here to share our good times with the bad.
We're enjoying 50 degree weather again today, the asian beetles are out in force today. We have a zillion of them around due to field crops on 3 sides of our home. (The creepy things crawl into the cracks around the windows and come out when it warms up)
I'm busy in the kitchen again today, making my cocoa mix right now. Thought I'd better check in and see what's up.
Crabby Maxine will cheer you up with her latest quote, "I thought about getting a boob job, but most of they guys my age are losing their eyesight anyway."
Old 02-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #263  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey G.G.s,
Thought I’d get here early (for me). It was SO’s 2nd day back at work, only 6 hours today. When I saw his van pulling into our driveway, 2 hrs. earlier than his regular time, I almost panicked, then remembered - oh, it’s Friday. I think I mentioned before that he works at a furniture factory (building frames for couches & chairs). Well, they frequently close early on Friday, I’d just forgotten (it’s been awhile!). Anyway, he’s still doing good - no pain in his shoulder, & not too tired.

KarenFL, I do “like” that concept of “Sister Power” & “cyber hugs”. Gayle, I do wish we had that button here. I’m joining the rest of you in that “group cyber hug” & “Sister Power surge” for Donna & her mom, & Rosey & her DH, & Zoe, & anyone else here in need of them!

Lyn, Yay! for you on getting rid of those 3 lbs. we knew they weren’t “real”. And, KarenMO, another 1.5 pounds down, Yay! for you too!

Bobbi, I hate those asian beetles (we call them ladybugs). I used to think they were cute, only kind of bug I’d let crawl on me (sorta tickles!). Then we started having invasions of them. Definitely not cute anymore! Creepy things, yeah - that’s how I think of them now too. I still find little dried-up bug bodies around the house from the last invasion (it hasn’t started here yet, this year).

SO just reminded me it’s dinnertime, & I am starting to get hungry. Guess I’m outta here for now.
NCNancy
Old 02-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #264  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Rosey, Donna, Zoe -

Virtual group hugs, but REAL heartfelt wishes.

Lynn
Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #265  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

evening.....Having a glorious sunset. After a beautiful Florida day.

DH was waxing his boat when the pack of dogs from up the street came down and attacked Dash on our lawn. DH jumped off the boat and saved him. He started yelling for the neighbor to get his dogs and the guy threaten DH if he didn't stop harassing his dogs????? We called the police but the neighbor disappeared before the cops got there. Dash is ok considering it was a pitbull he's a lucky pup. There is now a police report and another attack they will really go after the guy. Apparently there is a big state law about attempting to harm seniors.

DS's book went on sale today for Kindle. Yeah I bought one of them too. He admitted on facebook he needed to explain to his mother's bridge partners the nasty mother in the book is not based on me.....sure.

I had to have a pulled pork bbq sandwich NC style with coleslaw. Had to have! Actually didn't do too bad. Used FF mayo for the slaw, ww roll and pork is the other white meat. But my inner man is smiling! Thought i was 18 again. Ate so many of them preggie with DD in Jacksonville, NC she should have been born with sauce on the side.

NancyNC....which furniture maker does SO work for....Done alot of shopping in the "show rooms" around your area. Bought DD living and bedroom furniture last year. She lives South of Burlington.

Zoe....Like I said you are in good hands. How wonderful for the old doc to call you. Like medicine used to be.

Tea....I giggled all day about the staples.

Donna...Knees can hurt. Has she had any treatment. there are meds that can help. Braces, straps, pt....long ways from nursing home care. Does she have a walker at home? She is the prayer.

Rosey....update please! And how are you doing?

Bobbie..Asian bugs threw me....lady bugs I know. Merv Griffin told a story about his wife ordered a couple of quarts of them to eat the asphids off her roses. She put them in the refrig to keep chilled and kid opened the container. I thought one summer had them on the tomato plants and was happy until found out they weren't lady bugs but potato bugs and they ate the darn plants.

Time go watch the sunset....karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 02-18-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #266  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening.

It was a nice day today. My son stopped by to visit ~ that was a nice suprise. Then Grandpa took Maddie for a walk and they ended up over here at our house ~ so I got to play with her for a little bit. It was a nice weather day ~ so played with her outside.

One of you had asked for me to post a picture of myself riding my granny bike. Maddie wanted to take a ride in my basket, so I thought that would make a cute picture. My husband took a couple and I was hoping to put one on here, but oh my. Maddie was cute, but it looked the bike was being ridden by Jaba the Hut. Horrible. I'm too embarassed to put it on here. I look at pics of me standing up and they (while not great) aren't so horrible, but pics of me sitting down ~ just awful. I guess all that fat gets rearranged into a different shape

Got a few more things to do to get ready for back to work ~ then off to bed after a bit.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Take care

Here are a couple of old pictures of Maddie in the bicycle basket ~ she's cute at least
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00503.jpg (51.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00505.jpg (44.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #267  

KarenFL, I'm glad your DH & Dash are ok! That's so scary! I just do not trust pit bulls, don't think they should be allowed anywhere near residential areas. I know a lot of people don't agree.
My SO works at Lane/Venture. The parent company also owns Thomasvillle, Henredon, Hickory Chair, Broyhill, Drexal/Heritage, etc. Your bbq sandwich sounds good. I didn't learn to eat them with the slaw til I moved to NC, then it took me awhile to try it. Now they don't taste right to me without it. Bobbi's "asian beetles" threw me too, but sounded like they had to be the same as my dreaded ladybugs, so I googled it.

NCNancy
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #268  

Gayle, Your Maddie is adorable! And the part of you that's visible does not look bad at all!

NCNancy
Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #269  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

I received this in an email and I thought it was so BEAUTFUL! Just wanted to share it with all of you.

http://www.andiesisle.com/creation/magnificent.html

Gayle, you should be proud that you have that bike and are going to have so much fun with it...You are going to do great 'cause you got all this "sister Power" coming your way too!
Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #270  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! I'm almost out of gigabytes for this month so haven't been online very long each day. Mostly just for email and banking.

Jess, my birthday was the 15th. We didn't do anything that day but the next day we had to go into town anyway so we had a nice lunch out.

Glynn - We are now in a very nice campground up in the mountains. Beautiful drive above what I think is the Illdywild Valley, however I was the only one that could enjoy it as my dh had to keep his focus on the road. Kinda scary with the trailer if not used to it and no one warned us. The last part was a steep decline to the park and by the time we pulled into the park, our brakes were smoking! They said it happens a lot. When we went into town the next day (pickup only this time of course), we got our brakes checked as we wanted to be sure we'd be safe when we leave. The smoking was just caused by a lot of greasy gunk inside the brake system but the brake system wasn't in great shape so decided to go ahead and have it done. We have more mountains to cross before we get home and would rather be safe than sorry.

Zoe - we weigh the same (unless you've lost since you posted 168) and it is difficult isn't it? Sometimes I just want to forget it all and eat what I want and too often I do which is why I've gained 8-10 lbs depending on the day since our trip. When I overeat it's often salty stuff too so that doesn't help either. So far I've done pretty well today and I never give up.

On a positive note, we have been walking daily. It's a beautiful place to walk...lots of squirrels, gophers and birds...mostly crows but I've seen a few others too. Today I saw the biggest crow I've ever seen! There's a sign that says "we have wild animals" but so far that's all I've seen.

This park is high up but yet kinda in a little valley itself...with mountains all around and it is a large park. Considering the size and number of sites, it isn't very crowded...I'm sure it is much more crowded in the summer. There is a lot here...general store, adult lounge, kids lounge, "watering hole",restaurant, large pool, outdoor chapel, laundromat and even a little fire dept and firetruck. It's a great family park but there is also an adult section. We are in the general area but since it is not crowded that is fine. I enjoy seeing the families as it brings back memories. We picked the site ourselves and grabbed one of the pull-thrus right away as were still a little shaky after that drive.

Besides the walking I've been mostly cleaning house and one day I did the laundry. My dh is a little bored so he went over for happy hour one day even
though he isn't much of a drinker. I'd had a snack already so didn't go. He's much more social than I so he's a little bored here so I know he needed to get out and talk to other people. We're used to parks with lots of people close by to talk to.

Except for that one lunch out, I've been cooking and we've had some good dinners which my dh has really liked. Recently he's been a little picky so I'm glad. Tonight we had a Beef and Rice Bake and it contained veggies (peppers and onions), but I also added some cucumbers and sweet onion on the side with which we topped the dish.

Need to get off this computer....take care everyone!
Closed Thread