Old 01-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

ChattieOne,

You've gotten a lot of good advice here. It seems many of us have similar histories with food issues & weight loss difficulties. Regarding being a carb junkie, the one thing I'd like to add that I found helpful in getting carb cravings under control is The Insulin Resistance Diet. After about 3 days of using their link & balance method of proteins to carbs, my appetite was under control. I also keep a food diary & count calories. It's important to find something you can live with forever. Good luck!
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #17  
GmaTo8

I have been thinking the Age 50+ area here may need a thread for those counting carbs. Are any of you interested enough to join in if I began one?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

I would be interested. My scale must be broken - it's stuck at the same place! I need to get this thing kick-started, so I might try a modified Atkins type plan for a while and count carbs.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #19  
GmaTo8

Webwoman - I'll get one going, and we'll see how it plays out.

Last edited by Jane; 01-15-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #20  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

Hi-I've been dieting all my life. I too was the chunky kid (way back when) & still am (only much older! lol) I'm finding that Weight Watchers is the best plan/program. And I too have done them all. I really like the new points system. And obviously I need to account to someone else besides me for my actions. I also am taking it one day at a time - each day is a mini goal for me; the overall is overwhelming. I have over 50 lbs to get rid of. And believe me I know how discouraging it can be when you work at it like crazy & lose 1/2 lb in a week. Good luck there girl, I'm with you in this "trip". Keep up the good work!!
Laffalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 224/214/140

I think we all struggle with this same issue. Not enough time, or energy to exercise combined with years of eating the wrong types of foods. We eat for comfort and stress relief. I like you have to just jump up and get moving and eat what I know I should. I have a husband that loves the comfort foods. He loves watching the food shows and that doesn't help. I do good when I some in this site and track my weight and have to be accountable.
healthygoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #22  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

I think keeping a journal of what you eat is really helpful. And like I said before Weight Watchers has a new program & I really like it. Fruit is my "saving grace". But we can't eat too much or it adds up the points too. Have a great day everyone See ya' later!
Laffalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 224/214/140

I have been going on livestrong.com and they have a myplate feature that I can put in what I eat and it will calculate my calories. Helps me to see what I am eating too. Might me helpful to all of you out there looking for a way to track what you eat.
healthygoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #24  
TankiniPotential55

S/C/G: ?/158/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi Cathy!

Many apologies...this is a ramble, sparked by the thought that you went to WW with your mother at 14...I can't imagine what that experience was like, and how it still might be affecting you. So with this post come hugs of encouragement, and a huge congratulations for you wanting to choose healthy. It really is a day-by-day, moment-by-moment journey, that we are all sharing. You (and I) are not alone here--and I'm so thankful for this forum!

Just some background info:

I was the 'hulk' of my high school. Squished into jeans that only did up when I was lying down, with rolls and rolls spilling over the waistband, and the look of disgust on my dad's face... Even younger (elementary school) I remember my mother sending 'diet food' to my caregiver's house whose 3 kids were all skinny-minis, and them laughing at me as they ate their chocolate puddings and I had my pear for dessert.

These memories were relived when, as an adult with 3 kids of my own, I joined WW. I didn't want someone looking over my shoulder as I ate a 'forbidden' food. I didn't want to be judged as a BAD person b/c of my food choices. I loved WW b/c we were all supportive, and that's why I like this site too. We all need a fan club when we can't cheer our own self on, b/c of feeling worthless or guilty.

At any rate, I lost 25lb with the old points system with WW, and I found that what really made for a good loss week (1 1/2 lbs) was the amount of exercise I did. Whenever I plateaued (sp?) I would try just a little bit more intensity, and that would help the weight move in the right direction.

Now that I'm trying to lose 20 or so pounds (again) ( I just started Jan.1st), I'm finding the same thing is true. I also find that I HAVE to plan what I have on hand (whether at home or in the car or at school) to eat, otherwise the lure of a burger 'n fries is too great. By the way, now that it's been 28 days mostly on plan (I'm doing the South Beach thing), I am reaching and even longing for healthy snacks--which I find simply amazing.

One thing that I just discovered is that wheat & gluten really throw off my digestive system. Yesterday I had some crab cakes, which have a little wheat (breadcrumbs) in them, and I am so uncomfortably bloated today that it looks like I am 6 months pregnant. Not Fun At All. Getting carbs from other foods, not W&G, is my search from now on.

Anyway. Keep us posted on your journey, good or bad. We are here for you and respect you no matter what. Good days, bad days, bleh days...we've all been there, done that, and who knows what tomorrow may bring...we'll tackle it then.

Cheers!
TankiniPotential55 is offline   Reply With Quote