Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #106  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! Not much time online these days...too busy!

We picked up our car yesterday, it was driving well and we were so happy to finally have it again. Then I went to the store and when I drove in the garage I noticed it felt kinda funny. I checked to be sure I hadn't left the emergency brake on, I hadn't, and by that time I was in the garage so I promptly forgot about it, just thinking it was my imagination. Well, this am when my dh backed out we heard strange sounds, got down the hill and I felt like they were coming from my side. Checked the tire and sure enough we had a flat tire! So we were back driving the big pickup again!

We went to Joe's eye appt and his pressure was only 12 and 12 1/2!! So glad the medication is working! So we are definitely planning our winter trip and we have much to do to get ready!

We also test-drove a 2011 Chevrolet Cruise too. Very nice..pretty (red!), good gas mileage and not too expensive. We plan to buy a new car next year..although at the rate we are saving now, it might be at the end of the year rather than sooner.
For test-driving it we will get a $50 Target GC!

Came home for lunch to avoid eating out again, then Joe took the pickup to get the tires rotated while I packed. I took out as much clothing, canned/packaged food, and medication as I could. So much as to wait for last minute. When Joe got home he was finally able to check the tire and found what we actually have is a cracked rim...so he put on the small spare tire and we will replace the rim when we get home. Seems our car is too old..so only place to get one is a junk yard/dump..I think we are getting the message that it is time to get a newer car!

Dinner was rotissorie chicken AGAIN and veggies. I heated up gravy again for dh but forgot to make rice. He wasn't so happy..and I offered to cook it but he said it was too late then so he got along. I don't think of it now some times since I rarely eat it anymore. I also had had some sunflower seeds shortly before so I was very full after the chicken and all the veggies.

Karen31 - glad you are finally feeling better! Must have been a bad bug!

It is wet, wet, wet here as usual and in the 40s..but it's the cold wet that really gets to you. I was glad to come in after several trips out to the RV in it.

Only housework I have left to do is to mop my kitchen floor. Probably do that tomorrow. I also have some other trip-related things to do tonight. My dh was nice enough to help me with some of it so it shouldn't take too long.

Do any of you enter sweepstakes as a hobby? I have for several years although I don't do a lot anymore. Still just a couple days ago I learned I won an Avon package and last night I won a coupon for a free pouch of BC cookie mix! Even little wins are fun!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #107  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy Birthday Freda!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good morning all.....

Happy Birthday Freda

Well didju didju see um! Our manatees were on TV. Yesterday on NBC. The 1200lb poop machines. They showed people swimming with them and patting them. You are not supposed to bother/touch them, apparently everyone thinks their pats are loving and kind and the rule doesn't apply. With the cold snaps we'll have 300-400 hanging around the springs.

Bobbie...I ordered the magazine online, too. But bought Dec at the stand cause I didn't want to wait 6 weeks. It is so elaborate can't see how they will be able to sustain it.

Mary...sometimes a car just gets to the point where you should shot it like an old horse. It starts to what used to be nickle and dimeing you to death....of course now nothing is a nickle.

Another cold front is slamming down here tomorrow. it actually looks like snow out there now. That ashy gray color sky. We had snow last winter. It caught up in pool cage screen. It is really 50 degrees so no snow.

Off to the Russel Stover outlet. Going to buy hugh box of vanilla buttercreams for a Christmas present for gal who needs to gain a few pounds. Me I'll gain weight just smelling the stuff....bah humbug!

hugs, karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 12-11-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #109  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

A good snowy, blizzardy morning to you!
DH was suppose to work today but we have snow, everything is canceled because at noon the winds are going to pick up from 20-40 mile and hour. That means complete white outs, anyone that doesn't know what a white out is.......imagine yourself driving down the interstate with your eyes shut.
KarenFla...I ordered 30 issues, maybe it's a good thing I did because if the magazine is that good, the prices may go up.
Part of article from Donna:
Quote:
Among migraine patients who had forehead surgery to remove muscles at headache trigger sites, 57% reported permanent elimination of migraines (compared with 4% of a control group who had sham surgery)... and 84% had at least a 50% reduction in symptoms. Side effects included temporary facial numbness and, rarely, very slight (and fixable) hollowing of the temples
Donna...thanks for the article, I got it. Actually I did get it before but didn't remember who I got it from. The article reminded me of 'Silence of the Lambs' where Anthony Hopkins (Hannabel Lector)cut the top of that guys head and was stir frying his brains. I used to work with a gal that had migraine headaches, she'd get so sick that her hubby would take her to the emergency room for a shot. Mine have never been that bad, I don't puke from them. I pretty much got rid of them after my hysteretomy, only an occasional one. But the migraines I've had for the last 4 months come from my inflamed shoulder blades and neck. I think I was over-doing the weight lifting for one plus bad posture on my computer. Fed X delivered my kneeling chair a few days ago and I haven't decided if I like it or not. It certainly makes you sit up straight and my knees don't bother me sitting on it. But I miss having a back rest, I'll keep using it until I get used to it.
Rosie...I can't believe you can survive on one jar of baby food per day for 6 weeks. I can see why you'd not be hungry but how do you get your nutrients in? Maybe vitamins?
Quote:
,one jar of baby food is 3 meals for me in 6 weeks i can start inroducing real food in small amounts
What a perfect time for me to shut up and go bake some more cookies for our Christmas. I found a recipe for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies on the back of the package that sounds good, you add additional whole peanuts to it. Something I can't eat but everyone else can. I'm slowing getting my freezer full of goodies and so far I've not been tempted. I think just knowing that I can eat whatever I want to on that ONE DAY ONLY is appeasing me.
Have a fun week-end everyone, especially you Freda!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-11-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #110  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FREDA (and on the real day, too!!)!!!!!!!!

Nothing to report. I just checked in to wish Freda a good day.

Have a good weekend, everyone! Be safe!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Happy Birthday Freda!! Have a Great Day!!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #112  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Freda, I hope you have as wonderful a day as we all know you deserve!
PT - Turtle's doing fine; he's even adjusting quite well to that horrendous plastic cone around his head. Supposed to keep in on 10-14 days. I hope he can last a WEEK with it!
Oh. MY, Bobbi....all that snow? Any you betcha I know what a white-out is! I've driven through plenty of them here in New England, and lived to tell about it, even! Stay warm, dry and safe, girlie.
Omg, Rosey, I was thinking the same thing as Bobbi! One jar of baby food a day? Yikes! I have to assume you're taking lots of vitamin supplements, right?
Hugs and happy weekend to everyone else. I have to do some housecleaning and start getting ready for our visit to Old Sturbridge Village & Christmas by Candlelight. I'm really looking forward to it.

Z
Old 12-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #113  

Morning everyone..its warmed up 0 degrees out my dh's buddy came by for coffee and brought me a bouquet of yellow roses,my favorite,,im feeling fine..i do take lots of speacial vitamins,omega fish oil,iron,potassium,multi vitamin and in 6 weeks will start B12 injections..i get blood work every 6 weeks..i eat 3 times aday,baby food or anything that i can puree,a lg jar of bfood is 3 meals..i also have a speacial protein shake that im drinking on all day long,,no dairy till 6 weeks,but i can have one cracker or small amt of cheerios for snacks,i tried the cracker last nite,tiny tiny mouse bites it tasted great..sounds weird doesnt it,its a learning process..they said if i overdid i would puke it up like a baby yikes dont want that..happy birthday Freda,hope its a wonderful day for you..nothing on my agenda,,my dh promised to help me put up a xmas tree,,hope your days going great everyone rosey
Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #114  

oops i forgot to add my newest picture so we can all see my progress as you can see i have miles to go cant wait to see me next year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 125.jpg (24.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 124.jpg (23.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by akrosey49; 12-11-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Great Pictures Rosey! You look very happy. I know this will be wonderful journey for you and before long you will be looking back on this time. You need to do what they tell you. It does sound strange but I'm sure right now with all the suppliments you take you really aren't that hungry. So happy for you!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Happy Birthday, Freda!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #117  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Golden girls,

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. Alas, hasn't been a great one. I've been fighting this virus since Tuesday. I missed work Wed. but I did go in Friday fro 8 hours. Some one had to go home and they sent me. The manager said "go, before you infect the entire floor". They get mad if you stay home and mad if you call in. Can't win for losing! haven't felt like doing much of anything. We'll go out to eat when I can actually taste again. There's a new chinese restaaurant that I really want to try.

We are getting some of that white fluffy stuff. our first big snow fall of the year. Actually, our first. The weather man says 5-8 inches and the roads are already slick.

So glad to hear that you are doing so well Rosie.

Bobbi, wouldn't help in your case of migraines, but they also do botox. It makes a big difference. Wow, look younger and get head ache relief too. Wonder if I can convince them I need it?

Karen31, I know where your bug went.

Z, poor Turtle. Hope he is feeling better. I know what a white out is too. Drove through then many times when we were just guessing where the road was. Ohio is the worst, down 75.

Karen3, I've seen the magazine a few times, haven't really looked at the recipes much. Are they user friendly, you know for us that are challenged? I am a fairly good cook, but some of the recipes i've found in magazines are not my kind of cookin.

make it a good day,

Freda
Old 12-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #118  
Donna

Good Evening, All......
Did my first in-store demo today, pretty fun! I sampled brownie bites topped with peppermint flavored whipping cream. No one got sick, so I guess it was a winner. I had fun!! No, I didn't indulge or partake, even one! I can happily live without chocolate... now, if it was a piece of cake or pie, that would be another story!

Freda, feel better!

Everyone, stay warm and dry and safe! PT/Zoe, I remember driving from Laramie to Cheyenne in one of those white outs.... OMG, I've never been so scared in my entire life! The edge-of-the-road paint was the only salvation, and I KNEW some semi would come roaring down on top of me. Believe me, I was a VERY good girl for a long time after that trip!!

Later......
Old 12-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #119  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

G’morning. Monday. Ack. Oh, Lordie, I’m wondering how our Bobbi is doing!!!! Bobbi, if you still have electricity, please check in when you have a chance so we know you’re okay! What weather! And here in New England it was in the high 40’s and even went over 50 this past weekend. Still warm this morning, but due for a major drop in temperatures this afternoon from what I’m hearing the *weatherfools* say. Freda, I’m so sorry that you weren’t feeling well on your birthday! Be sure to see that you make up for it in grand style once you’re back on your feet. We Golden Girls DO deserve a little pampering, after all!
Oh Dear, PT….chocolate doesn’t tempt you??????? Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONE difference in a whole sea of sameness, I guess. I am definitely a chocoholic! (perhaps you are one but don’t know it?) FYI, we removed Turtle’s plastic collar-thingie because his bum looks fine, and he isn’t the slightest bit interested in messing with it, so the collar seemed unnecessary. It wasn’t letting him groom himself, and by the end of 10 days – or even a week – he would’ve been pretty funky. But, now all is well, and he is back to being his old self. He’s actually climbed (and had to be unwillingly removed from) our avante garde Christmas tree 3 X now. Little scamp. Cute, tho.
Well, Rosey, you look happy – and determined. What an amazing change you’re going through! Lots of courage required, to say the least. Keep us informed, girlie!
Karen3, is it possible that New England was warmer than Florida over the weekend? Oh, MY. How strange is THAT? As for the buttercreams, just seeing that word in print had me drooling. How is it that some people can eat all that stuff and still need to GAIN, while the rest of us can gain just from THINKING about eating? This gets tiresome sometimes, yanno?
Mary, when are you leaving on your Christmas journey? Have a safe trip!
Lynn, sounds like you’re overcommitted, Darlin’ – Here’s hoping you make it through the holidays and come out safely on the other side, and never sign on for such a large class again! (from your know-it-all friend, Zoë)
I’m glad you’re feeling better, Karen31. This is such an inconvenient time to be sick, eh? (I know – I’ve been there myself a few times in past holiday seasons). Well, I’m hoping that this finds you back feeling like your normal self again, and able to compete with all those rabid Christmas shoppers out there. I went to the mall for a while last night, and was quite surprised at how unpleasant people can be when you inadvertently step into their path.
Hi Gayle, and hi to any other Golden Girls whom I’ve somehow managed to miss.
Here’s something you-all might enjoy; I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-0WVfj76bo

Z
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #120  
Donna

Good Morning, All...
Don't fret, PT/Zoe... chocolate gives me migraines, and that's the only reason it has little appeal!! And I'm so glad (as is my sympathetic SamCat!) that TurtleTut is doing well!

I know this is long, but it's interesting!

The Right Way to Eat Big at Breakfast and Slim Down
We’ve all heard that eating breakfast helps when you want to drop pounds. Now, groundbreaking research shows that eating the right size meal at the right time -- including a big breakfast before 9 a.m. -- leads to even greater weight-loss success.

The Big Breakfast Diet is based on a clinical study led by endocrinologist Daniela Jakubowicz, MD. Participants included 94 obese women. Group one followed a strict low-carbohydrate diet... consumed 1,085 calories a day... had their smallest meal at breakfast (290 calories)... and ate no sweets. Group two followed the Big Breakfast Diet... ate 1,240 calories a day... had their biggest meal at breakfast (610 calories)... and included chocolate or another sweet in their morning meal. After four months, both groups shifted to a four-month weight-maintenance plan similar to their respective weight-loss plans but designed to keep previously lost pounds off rather than to promote additional weight loss.

Astonishing results: On average, low-carb dieters lost 28 pounds in the first four months... then regained 18 pounds over the next four months, for an overall average loss of 10 pounds. During the maintenance phase, 76% of the low-carb dieters abandoned the plan because they could not resist their carb cravings. In contrast: Big Breakfast dieters lost, on average, 23 pounds in the first four months... then lost another 16.5 pounds in the next four months, for an overall average loss of nearly 40 pounds! Among Big Breakfast dieters, only 8% abandoned the plan... and participants reported few cravings.

What’s going on? According to Dr. Jakubowicz, many people eat "out of sync" with their circadian rhythms and hormones -- consuming little or no breakfast, though the body needs fuel after fasting all night... then eating more and more through the day and overindulging at night. This triggers hunger and cravings, making it nearly impossible to diet or lose weight.

With the Big Breakfast Diet, however, you eat in sync with your natural rhythms. A morning meal shifts your body from the energy-conserving state of sleep to the calorie-burning state of day -- so you feel satisfied, not famished, even as you lose weight.

YOUR HORMONES AT WORK

"Your body can use food to provide energy and build muscle or to store fat -- depending on which hormones are in control when you eat different foods," Dr. Jakubowicz said. For instance...

The body is more sensitive to insulin early in the day. So when you eat starches and sweets in the morning, insulin more readily facilitates the transport of glucose from these foods to the muscles for use as energy. But: If you consume these foods at night when insulin is less efficient -- even if you don’t overindulge -- they get stored as body fat.
Cortisol, a hormone that helps convert protein to energy, is high in the morning -- so breakfast is a good time to eat the protein-rich foods that increase energy expenditure and help prevent hunger.
Human growth hormone (HGH) helps the body utilize fat reserves as fuel. But if you eat too much at night, HGH levels do not rise as they should -- and this promotes fat storage.
HOW TO DO THE BIG BREAKFAST DIET

One "serving" according to the Big Breakfast Diet may not be what you generally think of as a serving -- so be sure to review the "One Serving Equals..." section at the end of this article, which defines serving sizes. Then follow these guidelines...

Start eating within 15 minutes of getting out of bed. You don’t have to consume your entire breakfast then, but do finish by 9 a.m. to optimize the effects of hormonal shifts tied to sunlight and darkness.

The morning meal should provide at least 600 calories (and up to 850 calories), including seven servings of protein... three servings of carbohydrates... two servings of fats... and one serving of sweets.

Include two servings of low-fat dairy among your protein foods. Dairy products contain nutrients that accelerate metabolism.

For carbs, choose whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes (rather than refined carbs, such as foods made with white flour). This stabilizes blood sugar and insulin levels, keeping hunger at bay and promoting fat loss.

Don’t skip your sweet. A morning sweet raises levels of the feel-good neurotransmitter serotonin and fends off carb cravings.

Sample breakfast #1: Shake made with soy milk, whey protein powder, vanilla extract and cinnamon... scrambled egg whites with cheese and lean ham... cereal with milk... whole English muffin with almond butter... mini-cupcake.

Sample breakfast #2: 2 servings of low-fat milk or a yogurt smoothie with whey protein powder and chopped fruit... whole-wheat tortilla with 3 ounces of chicken, 2 ounces of cheese, tomatoes and mushrooms sauteéd in 2 teaspoons of butter... pumpkin muffin.

THE REST OF THE DAY

Eat lunch by 2 p.m. even if you’re still full from breakfast -- this wards off hunger later.

Lunch should provide 350 to 400 calories, including five servings of vegetables... three servings of protein... and one serving of fruit.

Sample lunch: 3 ounces of broiled salmon marinated in yogurt, cilantro and mint... medley of roasted vegetables... one-half mango.

Dinner should provide 150 to 200 calories, including two or more servings of vegetables... two servings of fruits... and zero to three servings of protein.

Sample dinner: Spinach salad with chopped vegetables and goat cheese... cantaloupe... orange juice.

What if you’re just not hungry in the morning... or can’t imagine eating so light at night? Try the Big Breakfast Diet for two weeks, Dr. Jakubowicz suggested -- your body will soon get into the habit and weight will start coming off.

One Serving Equals...

Protein: 1 ounce lean meat, poultry, fish or cheese... 1 egg or 3 egg whites... 8 ounces low-fat milk or soy milk... 6 ounces low-fat yogurt... 5 large nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans) or 10 peanuts... 1½ teaspoons nut butter... 3 Tablespoons sugar-free whey protein powder.

Fats: 1 teaspoon butter, oil or salad dressing... 1 Tablespoon cream, cream cheese, reduced-fat margarine or fat-free salad dressing... 5 large or 10 small nuts... 1½ teaspoons nut butter.

Carbohydrates/whole grains: 1 slice bread... ½ bagel, English muffin, pita or tortilla... ½ cup cereal or cooked barley, bulgur or quinoa... ⅓ cup cooked rice or couscous.

Carbohydrates/vegetables: 1 cup chopped raw or cooked low-sugar vegetables (such as asparagus, broccoli, lettuce or squash)... ½ cup chopped raw or cooked higher-sugar vegetables (such as beans, carrots, peas or sweet potatoes).

Carbohydrates/fruits: ½ grapefruit, mango, papaya or other medium-sized fruit... 1 apple, orange, peach or other small fruit... 1 cup berries... 2 Tablespoons raisins... 3 prunes... ½ cup juice.

Sweets: 2 small cookies... 2-inch-square brownie or cake... mini-muffin or small donut... ⅓ cup frozen yogurt or pudding... 1½ ounces chocolate.

Source: Daniela Jakubowicz, MD, is a professor of medicine and endocrinology at Tel Aviv University in Israel. She specializes in metabolic disorders and has published numerous studies, including in The New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. She is the author of The Big Breakfast Diet: Eat Big Before 9 A.M., and Lose Big for Life (Workman).

Everyone, be warm, dry, and safe. We're still waiting for our first flake of snow... crazy, man, crazy!!!!

Last edited by jess1; 12-13-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Closed Thread