Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #91  

Hi everyone..thanks for the kind words i can feel the warmth..im at peace with my choice..its a beautiful sunny but crisp fall day..our daylight hrs are gettin shorter..by xmas we will have about 6 hrs of daylight..i had a call from dr todds office and they have now cleared me for surg too so im taking that to mean everythings a go..now the ins hurdel..im getting more excited for this to happen.. my kids have always been worried about my health and always lecturing me for yrs..i kept telling them i was healthy now my tests prove it..im just fat with numb feet..when you have something traumatic happen to you you spend time ruminating over the past and how you got to where you are now..yrs of bad eating and lack of exercise landed me here in this chair..but that doesnt mean i can't do something about it now..everyday is a new beginning..

zoe sry for your gain just go back to what works..sry about your grdd..i to think kids today are over scheduled,my grkids included,esp my oldest grson who is a high acheiver he always looks tired to me.

bobbie thanks for all the info about seeds i never knew and will try and use the info.

Lynn what classes are you teaching?

Jess i love those books ive read them 2x now when u get to the end and your mad cuz there isnt any more..well thats a great read as far as im concerned.
(((hugs))) and thanks to all us remarkabel "golden girls" have a great day everyone rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 10-12-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #92  

Height: 5'3"

rosey you have such a positive outlook and I love that! I have always thought you have to roll with life...you should prepare the best you can, take care of yourself and other things the best you can but then you have to roll with the punches. Obviously we have all made bad choices, but it is not too late to learn and do better right where we are today. I try and remember that God accepts me just as I am today and if I'm willing He is willing to begin to work with me right where I am today, so I have to accept myself too. Tomorrow is a new day!!

It has been a beautiful day ...I got out fairly early as I wanted to get some good deals at Target, but I was disappointed as our "Super" Target is not very "Super!'' I have shopped Super Targets in another city (think it was Yuma?) so know they can be very nice, but ours is not that good when it comes to groceries. I ended up just buying a frozen pizza that was a good deal provided it tastes good. I have never heard of the brand which I assume is Target's store brand. Don't think I'll be shopping much for groceries there!

I've been trying to eat better and had a good day yesterday as far as calories were concerned but went over on carbs. Actually did it knowingly as I've been experimenting. I did have too many carbs in too short a time last night though as had dinner late and then shortly after dinner I starting snacking. For some reason I think I MUST have a snack even if I eat dinner late...got to get over that! So my bs was high this am (not necessarily but probably) but I have now taken it 3 times and it has been great since then. So think I'm doing something right.

Watered the places we reseeded in the front yard. No sign of growth yet. I also clipped my roses. I'm sad to see summer over and the blooms dying. Dh is feeling very well...walks so much better...mostly without the cane. On my advice he changed his PT schedule to twice a week (instead of 3) so it will go almost up to his next doctor appt., when they will probably x-ray his leg again. I am hoping for lots of new bone laid down by then.

Inside the house I vacuumed the living room and family room and hall and brushed the upholstered furniture in each room. I usually vacuum them but I get so tired of using my Dyson's attachments...they are very awkward to use, so this time I just brushed. Told my dh I love my Dyson for cleaning carpets and floors but I'd like a small hand-held vac for using attachments. I'm only a little behind so far in my housework this week ..last week I didn't get it all done. Well, there are weeks like that....

Hope you are having a good day!

Last edited by maryea; 10-12-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #93  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning......off to the Chiropractor again so I'll just post this recipe from Hungry Girl this morning. I love egg salad sandwiches but rarely eat them because of the calories/cholesterol in eggs. This might be a good substitue for my regular veggie soup I usually have for lunch. I haven't tried it yet but will when I get home today.
Have a good one!
brrrrrrrr....it's cold in Minnesota this morning.

Quote:

Citrus-licious Egg White Salad
PER SERVING (half of recipe, about 1 cup): 90 calories, 1g fat, 556mg sodium, 9g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 4g sugars, 11g protein -- POINTS® value 2*
Ingredients:
6 large hard-boiled egg whites, chopped (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
3 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise
1 tsp. creamy Dijon mustard
1 tsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Directions:
Place onions in a small microwave-safe bowl with 1 tbsp. of water. Cover and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, drain water and allow to cool completely.
In a separate dish, stir together the mayo, mustard, lime juice, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Once the onions have cooled, combine them with the chopped egg whites, red pepper and celery. Then add the mayo mixture, and stir until thoroughly mixed. Now devour...
MAKES 2 SERVINGS
Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #94  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Bobbi, I’ve ordered a pound of chia seeds to try. They’re surprisingly reasonable as far as cost is concerned. If they work well for me, I’ll order them by the TON!
I made some bran muffins for the week’s breakfasts (I eat mine at work). I used 6 boxes of Jiffy bran muffin mix, a full sleeve of grated (original) Fiber One cereal, egg beaters, fat-free milk, coarsely chopped dates, dried cranberries and apple chunks. I have no clue how to figure calories or anything else pertaining to nutritional value, but I figure they must be fairly high fiber with all that Fiber One cereal, and the fruit can’t hurt much. Okay so maybe 500 calories? That’s my (really yummy – probably yummier than I deserve right about now)breakfast, with a cup of black coffee. Lunch, one package of white albacore tuna (90 cal) mixed with a tablespoon (or less, actually) of lite Miracle Whip, one of Joseph’s pita breads (60 calories, 4 grams of fiber) and a half cup of pink grapefruit sections. Supper – DH is making a pork tenderloin roast and baked sweet potatoes with spinach and homemade applesauce, so I’ll have a few thin slices of pork and a serving of sweet potato with Olivio instead of butter (o cal, I think). And some apple sauce – I make that with truvia for sweetening, chopped, skins-on apples, dried cranberries and cinnamon. Okay. Sorry to bore everyone with my food choices; obviously, if I’d been eating like this all summer, I wouldn’t be in my present predicament. I won’t take up space here to report this sort of thing every day, but today I just needed to. I do plan, as well, to drink lots of water and get some daily walking in. Nothing worse than a reformed eater and sluggard, eh? We’ll see how “reformed” I really am in the days ahead.
Mary just hearing about your house cleaning makes me feel guilty as sin. I do some solid cleaning on Saturdays, but DH is responsible for vacuuming, dusting, the kitchen & bathroom floors, etc., and picking up of course, during the week. I can’t say that I’m entirely satisfied with the quality of his work, but it beats having to do it myself by a long shot. He’s home, I’m not. ‘Nuff said.
Rosey, you’re 100% right about every day being a new beginning. Where we ALL find ourselves is the result of the choices we make along the way, and how we choose to deal with them. No doubt about it. And, certainly in my case, and with regard to eating, exercise and physical fitness, I’ve made a lot more poor choices than good ones. So, we can keep on making the poor choices, or decide to make better ones. You are certainly making fabulous choices now – and I hope to do better myself. One day at a time, right?
Bobbi, I just threw away a jar of ground flax seed. I had used about half of it and then apparently forgot about it in my eating frenzy. This is also on my grocery list at this point in time. Oh – and thanks for the reminder about how to change the weights under my avatar pic. Hopefully, I’ll be changing them again – downwards – before too much longer.
Haven’t read “Rethinking Thin”, Lynn, but I agree absolutely that our eating reflects way more issues than how strong-willed we’re capable of being. I know for sure that mine do. Very tied up in issues with my mother that are too complicated to describe here, but I KNOW what it’s about, and have struggled for a long time to shake off that influence. I hope I manage to, some day.
PT, I’ve got to figure out exactly how old Clair IS when she and Jamie get back together. I mean, modern health and dental care and such is way better than it was 200 years ago, but even SO……it might be pleasant just ONCE in a while if she’d mention pulling out a chin hair or rubbing some goose grease on her crows feet. I mean, give us a break, here! Love that girl to death, but enough is enough!
Well, enough out of me this morning. A wave and a hug to Freda, and Sherrill, and Gayle, Karens 31 & 3, Janet, Lily and to you as well, Isabella, wherever you are!

Z
Old 10-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #95  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Grrrrr at myself this morning. Wasn't feeling good last week ~ caught a sort of a cold from the grandkids. Didn't eat right, didn't keep track, didn't do my walking, didn't feel good, didn't care. Now, I'm paying for it. Up 5 pounds. Oh well, what's done is done. But, like other things, I hate the stuff that you have to keep doing over and over again. Again I say oh well........

Ok, enough whining. It is a nice sun shiny day out. Love that sunshine.

Guess I'd better get ready to face the music (weigh in today). Hope you all are doing well.

Take care
Old 10-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good morning all....Quiet day in the neighborhood. Having dinner party tomorrow evening and making stuff ahead. A fresh ham which is being boned and rolled as I type, pickled red cabbage(gotta love splenda), mashed tators(for the meatntator men), cranberry pecan gel salad with SF raspberry jello, turnipgreens(for the Southerns) along with cornbread and a tossed salad. Apple or lemon curd tartlets(SF).....all in all on OP meal that I ain't telling nobodys about...

I was gonna invite neighbors over for leftovers Friday night but they are leaving for Alamba Fri am.....Do love to kill 2 birds with one stone. She has such a heavy accent am always sticking my foot in mouth because i answer her wrong.....last time she talked for 10 minutes something about a hot water heater and then i pipe up with we'd like to get one of those instant ones and she had been talking about an instant one for the whole 10 minutes. Only words I heard of water heater sighhhhhhhhh

Rosey lov....All our pets are family and we grieve and mourn their lost as a member of our family. They love us unconditionally and live in the moment so always forgive us. The best we can do is remember them. When we get together as a family there are aways stories about the furry kids.

Zoe....In the last book Claire was starting menopause....

gayle....Get back here stat and stop with the excuses and just do what you are supposed to do. Today Is a NEW DAY! And we love you anyway.

Lynn....Don't forgot Survivor tonight. The Old guys better get their act in gear or there will be no old guys. Can't win by playing by egos instead by teamship....is that a word?

Had therapy this am...hobble in and sprint out. Feel like I should be a commerial. Down to once a week for 6 weeks. My cleaning girl left for a full time job. I only need someone to vaccum and dust. and bathrooms and kitchen floor. 2 hrs every other week. Found new girl...took 4 weeks....but she can't start until next Sat....so have been doing one or two chores every day. More than 2 and can't move. Luckly at our age we just make paths....Now you all know I firmly believe in dusting bi annual whether it needs it or not! Yesterday I stripped and remade beds, cleaned kitchen counter and dusted. Spent rest of the day on ice....having "Stupid" tattoo on my forehead ain't working......never see it!

Made pot of spare ribs and red cabbage yesterday and will eat that for 2 days with leftover cabbage for dinner party....yum So no cooking needed tonight. Off to bridge....hugs karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 10-13-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Rosie, I am teaching a "Communications" course. However, based on the syllabus, seems to me like it is really an orientation to the online University course. It is only 3 weeks long & covers a bunch of stuff that the students will need to know/use in future courses.

Mary, I always have an evening snack after dinner. My favorites are SF/FF pudding w SF Cool Whip or lo-carb vanilla yogurt w lo-carb peanut butter.

Bobbi, I am sending "feel better vibes" to you. Hope that chiropractor gets rid of the pain.

Zoe, that book - Rethinking Thin - provides a LOT of research information about what happens to us physically that makes us gain back previously lost weight. For me, the only way I can maintain is to do the same things that I do when I want to lose.

Gayle, I'm sending you some of my "feel better vibes" also.

Karen, I will be watching Survivor tonight. I think from last week's coming attractions that they will merge groups tonight. I do not think the young vs. old worked. Let's face it, we are just not as strong/fast as we used to be.

Irony of ironies - at the beginning of the month I decided to stop focusing on losing and accept my current weight of 155 lbs. This morning, after my vacation to Williamsburg, I got on the scale and am down to 153!

Go figure??????????????

Lynn
Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #98  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All... well, I guess, to be technical, it's Good Afternoon, All...

Busy day already. I have a job interview at 3 and am excited. Not only is it a good fit, but it's decent money, and I'd love to not have to worry so much. AND, I have a leak in the basement under the stairs, and I fear the worst! It's always something!! And I don't think I'll ever be able to really retire!

My bro and his family are back from AZ for a quickie visit. I haven't had a chance to see them yet, but I'll plan on that after the interview.

And nothing else! I'm stable (weight!) and life is good! Think good plumbing thoughts, PLEASE!

Oh, PT/Zoe.... Claire was 28 when she walked through the first time, then I think they spent, what?, 3 years together? And Brianna is close to 20... so Claire's an old broad! I don't think I could have fought crocs when I was 51 or so! It must be all the sex! Haha.....

Everyone, be safe!

Last edited by jess1; 10-13-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #99  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Mary...answer to your question on Flaxseeds.
Wow so many posts I hadn't read...trying to catch up! Thanks for posting this, Bobbi. Mine was years old I think...I used it now and then but often forgot about it...it doesn't taste rancid at all though...it tastes very good. It was in a good sealed container and now is in the freezer. BUT I bought some flax seed today and I have a grinder so will just grind some each day. Will consider getting some of the chia seeds too. I didn't see them at the store where I got the flax seed. where did you get yours? I saw some being sold online but think they were combined with the flax seed in one product.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #100  

Jess - good luck with the job interview!!

Lynn - I have taken your suggestion with the yogurt and pb. It's good! But you are much more disciplined than I am...when something tastes good to me I have trouble stopping with one serving...no matter what it is! I'm trying to eat even more plant based foods now and keeping my starchy carbs to a minimum (not doing great yet on this though!) and trying not to eat "junk." What is junk is pretty subjective...but for me it mostly means sugar ..empty calories. I have cut my mocha drinks back to one a day. I make it myself and is about a cup with the mix, milk and ice. I try and avoid enriched starches too but still get some and I'm trying temporarily to limit even my whole grain starches to once a day. Yesterday we ate out and that messed me up but I think my body is responding well to the way I'm eating despite that slip up. I'm amazed at how well my bs are responding so far. I always tried to keep my fruit to no more than 2 serv and I'm eating 4 a day now! I love fruits and veggies and that helps and I haven't eaten much meat in years so in a way this way of eating is a natural for me. I just have to keep it in my head and push myself to eat even more veggies and less junk. Well it's only day 3 and I haven't been perfect even one day on it so we will see how it goes. I don't plan to be perfect on it all the time anyway...like when I eat out, I'm just going to try to be kinda careful. But so far I notice that my bs are mostly better, my tummy gurgles less , I feel fuller and I'm feeling less twinges of neuropathy. The first day I dropped a pound but the next day I gained most of it back...but that was the day we ate out and I ate too much...so will Let you know how it goes after a few more days...

Congrats on your weight loss! 153 sounds SO good to me!! Must be like the women who finally get pregnant after adopting! LOL

Karen31 I wish we lived near each other...I'd be happy to clean for you....you could just hire me! LOL I could use a little extra income AND it would give me exercise WHILE I do something I actually know how to do AND I am physically able. (Wow, that was quite the sentence). I honestly don't mind housework, I've often thought I wouldn't mind being a hotel maid...guess I'm just wierd!

Glynne...isn't it amazing how fast we can gain weight at this age?!! Usually when I get back on track I can lose at least 1/2 of it pretty quickly but I retain a little and have to REALLY work at it to lose it all. You can do it though...just be consistent...yeah, I should talk! LOL

Zoe - the way you eat and how you feel about dieting makes me think so much of myself. I just keep trying and figure even if I never reach my goal I will be healthier for all the trying. As to the housework...remember I don't work outside the home. And I'm not a perfectionist by any means...I just have a system/schedule and try to keep up with it so the house is reasonably clean. Most of our lives, we have been pretty traditional..my dh has always done the outside stuff and me the inside. There have been times when I was working and he got home first that he did more around the house (he's VERY good at housework!) but since his leg injury I've had to do both inside and out. I find that if I do the outdoors stuff first I come in more invigorated and get more done inside. But I don't do a whole lot...just a little at a time. These days he's doing more and I'm mostly just mowing about once a week. I need more exercise really.

Well, going to check the mail and finish up a few things before it's time for dinner. Have a good evening everyone!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Ladies! Well, yesterday was the court hearing for the restraining order. She didn't show and we set there from 9:00 am to 10:30 am and the judge said he will dismiss the restraining order charge and gave him written proof of it. He asked us then to take him to Walmart and he was going to put in a job application there and also walk to some other places to put in applications. Well, Donna, she didn't have to look for another "Schmuck" he has been with her ever since!! BUT he says they aren't together... hmmm! All his stuff is here but I think he is taking it up there a little at a time. He was as happy as a pig in s**t this afternoon--- driving her car all over. He thinks his parents are pretty stupid! But it really wasn't a surprise. Supposedly he will be back here tomorrow.. It is getting pretty close to him having to make the choice.... he can't keep us tied down here when we are wanting to do some traveling-- in fact we had planned on going to PA. this month to see Tims family... now that is on hold.

We left this morning and went to Lowell, Arkansas. There were a couple 5th wheel RV's down there and we decided that it was a good day to just go and look. There is one here that is pretty nice too but wanted to make sure the ones down there weren't better buys. So we were gone most the day and it felt pretty good. Didn't buy anything while we were there but still it felt good to get away.

I didn't realize how late it already was when I started this. Guess I'll just cut it short for tonight. I think I should write a book about the family and sell it to the TV for a soap opera--- they would say this never happens in real life!!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #102  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Jess - good luck with the job interview!!

Lynn - I have taken your suggestion with the yogurt and pb. It's good! But you are much more disciplined than I am...when something tastes good to me I have trouble stopping with one serving...no matter what it is! I'm trying to eat even more plant based foods now and keeping my starchy carbs to a minimum (not doing great yet on this though!) and trying not to eat "junk." What is junk is pretty subjective...but for me it mostly means sugar ..empty calories. I have cut my mocha drinks back to one a day. I make it myself and is about a cup with the mix, milk and ice. I try and avoid enriched starches too but still get some and I'm trying temporarily to limit even my whole grain starches to once a day. Yesterday we ate out and that messed me up but I think my body is responding well to the way I'm eating despite that slip up. I'm amazed at how well my bs are responding so far. I always tried to keep my fruit to no more than 2 serv and I'm eating 4 a day now! I love fruits and veggies and that helps and I haven't eaten much meat in years so in a way this way of eating is a natural for me. I just have to keep it in my head and push myself to eat even more veggies and less junk. Well it's only day 3 and I haven't been perfect even one day on it so we will see how it goes. I don't plan to be perfect on it all the time anyway...like when I eat out, I'm just going to try to be kinda careful. But so far I notice that my bs are mostly better, my tummy gurgles less , I feel fuller and I'm feeling less twinges of neuropathy. The first day I dropped a pound but the next day I gained most of it back...but that was the day we ate out and I ate too much...so will Let you know how it goes after a few more days...

Congrats on your weight loss! 153 sounds SO good to me!! Must be like the women who finally get pregnant after adopting! LOL
Two strategies -

1) Don't have it in the house if it triggers you to eat more. For example, I love Dark/Dark chocolate (80% cocoa). I do NOT keep it in the house because I will NOT stop with 1 square.

2) Eat half. If I want a piece of fruit, I eat half. When I go out to dinner, I eat half of my order. Last night, I ate half of a stuffed cabbage and half of a serving of grains and vegetables. This way, I get to eat just about everything, but keep the calorie count down.

NOTE: if you have low-cal/carb yogurt & pb, even if you do eat more, it is still pretty low-calorie.

Lynn
Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #103  

Hi Everyone,

Tonight, I am taking my DF out to dinner for her birthday & then we are going to a lecture about the Am Rev. I live within walking distance to the David Library of the American Revolution. They have EVERYTHING that exists about the Am Rev.

Did my "fast" walking this morning (only 20 minutes today). Tomorrow I need to "fast" walk 65 minutes and it is supposed to rain. This means 65 times around the gym track - Yuk! MUCH nicer when I can do it outside on the canal.

Have a GREAT day!

Lynn
Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #104  

Good Morning every one,

I've gone back and read all the post, but I know I won't remember to respond to all of them. It's great that we're such a busy group. Nothing going on around here except work and running the grands. And that is almost over. DGD had her last soccer game (they went undefeated) and her last football game is this weekend. Only dance left. DGS is still in football but that will be over soon too. What to do with the extra time? Clean house?,,,,nah!!

Rosie, so sorry about Willie. So hard to do, but you made the best decision. We love them so much it's hard to let go, even if it's the right thing to do. I'm glad everything is going well for the surgery. You should be hearing soon.

Z, Sorry about DGD. 3 breaks? Terrible. Never had a break untill last year and didn't realize how bad it was. But kids recover so much quickleer. DGS broke his arm last year too, and did really well. Kids just bouncce back quicker. And I so totally understand the frustration of weight loss, weight gain, weight loss....We all do. It's a daily choice thing, and you're right, we know when we're making bad choices. For me it's eating clean and exercising, especially weight lifting. As women, we lose so much upper body strength. When things get tough I just have to think where I would be if I didn't make the effort.

Donna, good luck with the job interview! And I don't see myself retiring anytime soon either. I'll be 63 in Dec. and I know I have to work untill i'm 65 for insurance.

Bobbi, Hope the headaches are long gone. Not sinisus? I know here in Michigan they are pretty common. I'm always looking for new products to improve my health. I'll try the seeds. I use flax all the time. I buy a big package and grind up just enough for the week and keep that in the fridge. It does go rancid pretty quickly if left out.

Karen, we never stop worrying about our kids, reguardless of their age. But when they are little we can at least have some controle. When they grow up we just have to hope they will listen to advice given with love and experiencce.

Karen, Horrible not to be able to do what we want, when we want. I'm not the worlds best housekeeper (that would be my sister, who actually says cleaning is her hobby) but I do like the house neet. it would be hard to not do certain things. Now, with my back problems, I have to time some things. Especially cleaning the floor. I still get it all done but just a lot slower.

Gayle, Don't worry about the weight gain. we all do that. Just get started again. If it was easy we wouldn't be here.

Mary, I have a small hand vacuum cleaner that the kids got me for Christmas one year. I didn't think I would ever use it, but it's great for vacuuming the furniture. and the bed. With the scare of bed bugs I vacuum the bed when I change the linen.

Everyone have a good day,

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 10-14-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #105  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Waiting for the plumber.... I am PRAYING that it's something inexpensive!!

The job interview went well, but then they said the death knell words: "we still have three interviews tomorrow.... so we'll let you know". Since I feel like I'm competing with 15,000 people for every job opening, that dampened my spirits. I could do well there, and I could certainly get used to a steady income! I guess we'll just see....

Finally got a chance to visit with the AZ contingent. It's so good to see them; I wish they could visit more often!

KarenMO, since the LittleDarling has now learned that she can call the cops on your son (aka SchmuckSon), this is not over! I hope you and DH have set a monetary boundary, because he'll end up back in the clinker again over her. Did you get your bond money back? Idiots, the lot of them!

Nothing to report... all is well here! It's hard to type with my fingers crossed, though, for a good plumbing report! Later, my lovely GGs!

Be safe!
Closed Thread