Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #121  

hey everyone..another chilly foggy day here..i put on my flannel jammies last nite..up early this morning and got off my duff and did some house work and put makings for beef stew in the crock pot..still quiet around here,ive had enuff alone time now, i was singing to my dogs this am i think they thought i was nuts,from the expressions on their furry faces..yup dogs do have expressions..my guys should be back sunday..have agreat weekend everyone rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 09-17-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #122  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone, today has gone so fast but I didn't accomplish very much. I transferred another VHS tape and I got to watching it...some of these I haven't seen since we filmed them...and I sure enjoy watching them. Wish I'd watched them more when they were still really clear...they are a little bit blurry now and the voices are often hard to understand. But I still enjoy them.

This afternoon I got a manicure and browsed the stores a bit at the mall. Mostly at Verizon kiosk as I'm trying to decide whether I want an iPhone or a Droid! Such decisions I must make!

The other day I pulled a package from the freezer thinking it was salmon...instead it was ground turkey breast. We don't care for turkey except on Thanksgiving and maybe one time for leftovers after the holiday, but that's enough for us. But for some reason I bought it and it was from Whole Foods even (more expensive!) so had to use it. So tonight I made turkey burgers. I mixed it with pesto sauce, and onions and topped them with parmesan cheese at the end of the broiling. They weren't too bad but I only used 1/2 the package so have to do something else with it. I know a lot of people really like turkey and that you can't tell the difference etc...really wish we did like it but we don't. And I don't like eating food I don't enjoy even if it is healthier..sorry..venting..

Rosey - at least you're singing and maybe the dogs actually enjoyed it. At least they can't complain.
That pot roast sounds really good!

Jess and Lynn - sounds like you are both keeping busy and enjoying life. I like this time of year too even though it has rained all day. I don't mind the rain at all but my dh hates to hear me say that as he really hates it.

Hello to everyone I missed...

Last edited by maryea; 09-17-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Friends,

Did the gym & my fast walk on the canal. Need to pack for our overnight in Philly. Please keep your fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow for my DD's marathon.

The movie - Mao's Last Dancer - had some GREAT dance scenes, but was VERY long. Also - the movie seats were NOT comfortable. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 6.

Check back tomorrow evening.

Lynn
Old 09-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #124  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy Week-end everyone!
I'm in the process of making peanut butter cupcakes for this afternoon's coffee at my dad's place. We have a relative from out of state coming home for her class reunion and we're meeting her and family today. I haven't seen her since 1955, no kidding. It should be fun and that's older than some of you.
Have a good one
Old 09-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #125  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Just checking in....
Bobbi, I don't care WHAT you say about your healthy cooking... reading about those peanut butter cupcakes is NOT healthy for my hips! I can feel the yumminess attaching to them! Those sound so good!! And how FUN to see your long-lost relative! I'll be interested to hear all about it, please.

Nothing on the agenda yet today. I've showered and am all clean and shiny, just in case anyone wants or needs my company! Otherwise, I'm sure SamCat is appreciative!

Lovely, cool-ish, morning. I feel good, am contented, and hope all is well with all of you, too. Happy Saturday! Be safe, everyone... (I miss Isabella and always think of her when I say that. I hope she IS safe).....
Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #126  

Hi everyone..its a cool fall day here..the leaves have really changed color..my dh phoned from cabin and will be home tonite or tomorrow am..hes always starving when he gets home so made bq meatballs and potatoe salad this morning..i like to be prepared..then im not frustrated trying to get something made when he gets home..this week on wed ill have a weigh in at the dr's,im hoping for a loss ive stuck to my plan but my body's not co-operating..then on friday its a trip to anch for more tests..hoping your weekend is going well..gee Bobbie now im craving cake..sounds yummy..ttfn rosey
Old 09-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #127  

Height: 5'3"

Resting a bit after lunch. We slept in and about all I got done this am other than a few daily chores was transfer another tape. I usually only get one done a day as I spend so much time watching that I don't get other things done! Very captivating!

ETA: Oh I forgot I DID clean out under the kitchen sink...yuck! It's amazing how much ick collects under there but it does give me satisfaction to have it clean again. Silver, I didn't have any cotton but I folded up a paper towel and splashed on some mint and put under there hoping it will keep the mice away. I think it was the pesticides that drew them (it's like a bait to draw them out and then they take it back to their homes), so hopefully there won't be anymore, but thought I'd do it just in case. Oh and I mopped the kitchen floor so guess I did get more done before lunch than I originally said. But I still have more to do.

Fall is sure here which for us means rain. So far most of the time it is just showering not quite the steady drizzle that we have most of the year but it is still very wet out there.

Dh walked from one end of the house to the other house today WITHOUT his cane!! That's the first time he's walked that far without it. Of course in the house he could always grab a wall if necessary, he is not ready to walk without it outside or in a store, but he did very well. He said he only had a small amount of discomfort not real pain. In a store he likes to push the cart instead of using his cane. I was worried about him doing that at first but he actually walks better that way and he is careful to stay out of "traffic."

Bobbi, Jess - bobbi I agree with jess..those pb cupcakes sound too good! I don't think I have ever thought of making pb cupcakes...do they taste kinda like pb cookies?

Well, better get to work. Everyone, have a good day!

Last edited by maryea; 09-18-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #128  
Bobbi

Hey, Hey, Hey!
Those peanut butter cupcakes are sinful I didn't make them for me obviously. One whole cup of peanut butter in the cupcake batter and another 1/2 cup in the frosting. They are truly delicious, I put hershey candy bar curls on 1/2 the batch (Use potato peeler on a bar) and crushed peanuts on the rest. I promply put the left-over cupcakes in the freezer for DH to eat, I shan't look at them...

Quote:
reading about those peanut butter cupcakes is NOT healthy for my hips! I can feel the yumminess attaching to them! Those sound so good!! And how FUN to see your long-lost relative! I'll be interested to hear all about it, please.
We sat and reminisced about the 'olden days', had great fun laughing. We figured it out and I was 4 years old the last time I saw her, 61 years ago. I didn't remember her so much as I did her mom and dad and stories about them. I got her son's email address so we can continue to catch up. I ate one cupcake, it took me about an hour to eat because we were so busy talking.
Someone in my bone building class mentioned 'Biggest Losers', I didn't know it had already started Anyone watching it this year? I'm going to google it now and see what I missed, see ya.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #129  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

G'morning, everybody - life's been a bit busy lately; my brother died on Thursday, and my sister and her son flew up here on Friday and her daughter & son-in-law arrived yesterday. Our brother's wife, understandably shaken and in no condition to make arrangements (she and my brother were married for 54 years, and he made all the major decisions for them both) ended up using the same (very upscale) funeral home that our family has used for years and years, but I doubt that any of our predecessors paid the kind of fees that they've charged this time around. New ownership, maybe. Inflation? Greed? The "arrangements" were @ $15,000, and they even charged her an additional $400 just to put the obituary in the paper, which is FREE. (And her sister-in-law wrote the obituary and gave it to the funeral home!). I SWEAR, they'd better just cremate me and put my ashes in that antique cast iron Mister Peanut bank that I acquired several years ago for that express purpose. Well, my brother, it turns out, had an advanced colon cancer, had surgery but it must've been too far gone, because he died in the hospital. Our sister-in-law didn't keep us very well informed, but she probably was in over her head with all the medical jargon and if he told her not to "bother" anybody, she wouldn't have. The funeral is Monday, and my sis and I are attempting to put together a little visiting hour with refreshments afterwards.
Other than THAT, life is just peachy and I have only 83 weeks until retirement.
DH went up to New Hampshire this weekend. WE were scheduled to be up there, and while I certainly couldn't go, there was no reason for him to stay home - nothing really for him to do to help at all. So, I had a lovely, snore-free sleep last night until about 5:30 this morning when the cats launched a full frontal assault on my bed (and me) looking for me to feed them since they couldn't locate DH. He usually gets up first thing and feeds them, but I just mumbled in a very stern manner, turned over and went back to sleep for two hours, ignoring the little kit jumping on my back and kneading my hair.
Hope everyone's having a good weekend -

Z
Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #130  
Bobbi

Zoe...my condolence on the passing of your brother.
Quote:
I SWEAR, they'd better just cremate me and put my ashes in that antique cast iron Mister Peanut bank that I acquired several years ago for that express purpose.
I'm with you on that, DH and I have our wills made out with instructions for creamation. We've instruction Tiffany to throw our ashes to the wind, no cemetery or makers. We do not want a funeral either, we want people to remember us as we were alive.

Take care Zoe
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Zoe, So sorry to hear about your brother. I'm sure things have been very busy and confusing there. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #132  
Donna

Good Morning, All...
Oh, PT/Zoe, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother! I don't know which is worse, the sudden passing or the prolonged journey. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Bobbi, you have my absolute admiration (Isabella and Freda can do this, too, I think!!) to be able to have cupcakes frozen and to not give in to their pitiful calling of your name! Your "won'tpower" is truly amazing... as mine is apparently nonexistent.

I'm off to Manitou Springs for the day with Granny/Mom and my sister. I need to get into the shower... With somber thoughts, I wish you all a good Sunday. Be safe!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #133  

Zoe im so sorry about your brother rosey
Old 09-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good afternoon all....A quiet hot afternoon down here. 91! We'll proably get a thunderstorm a little later, but I've done the pool and thats ok. we did well at the tournament and came in. Only played one session a day and was exhausted and achy afterwards. No more pain, discomfort only. So GLAD!

Zoe....Am so sorry for your loss. Does your sil have some one who can help her afterward. Sounds like she has not had to make many decisions herself.

Must tell you all about cremations. My DF who I am the PR for has a brother who took over the morning she passed (5am) and arranged for a funeral home to pick her up. These people were beyond crooked. Richard charged the estate $3,200 for just a cremation and urn. Oh and death certificates which he still has(i had to buy my own for the estate). There are 3 other decent homes here in town and I priced all 3...$1200,$999 and $750. The estate paid Richard but all the family was totally ticked off. By the way the cheapest is actually the nicest of the 3. My point is there are nasty people out there who come after you when you are vulnerable. So along with our decisions with living wills and both power of attys we have left instruction of who to call and how to scatter our ashes. I have tried my whole life to protect my kids and the last thing I want to do them is have to have them make decisions about me.

Time to start the weekly cook ahead stuff.....back later, hugs, karen3

ps...Rosey I started the 5th book. Queen of Spades and checked local library has the newest...thanks again.k

Last edited by Karen3; 09-19-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #135  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Zoe - I am so sorry to hear about your brother. My thoughts are with you and your family.

After dealing with three deaths in our family (my father and my husband's parents) we have a will in place and have pre-paid our cremations. This is something my dad and mother-in-law had in place and it really helps to know your love ones wishes.

We had a nice relaxful weekend. We just finished filling four large garbage bags with clothes for our local cancer society clothing store. These are clothes my DH and I have outgrown. Some are brand new with tags on. I just want them out of the house.

I planted my winter garden yesterday. I planted some spinach, mesculan, chives, thai basil, sweet basil, snap peas and an artichoke. I plan on getting some garlic, green onion and a purple potato planted as well. I still have some tomatoes on the vine and a ton of jalapenos. This is my first winter garden so I don't know how well it will do.

I am going to try and make a meatloaf tonight using ground turkey. I am going to try and sneak it in and hopefully DH will not notice. He only likes ground turkey in tacos or cooked with tomatoes.

Hope you all have a great Sunday.

Sherrill
Closed Thread