Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #151  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Me again...well, my sis and her son are on their way home this morning, her to Hendersonville, NC, him to Palm Beach, FL. Her daughter & sil were driving, and they headed back yesterday morning. I have absolutely nothing planned for myself today, thank goodness. Looks nice out, though, and I think it's supposed to be in the high 60's or low 70's, so I may go down to the lake with my book. I definitely need some down time. Yesterday, my sister and her son did some driving around to places they wanted to see again while I drove my daughter (twin's mom) to have her colonoscopy. All my kids have one every five years - started when they were in their early 20's because of the family history on their father's side. He was one of ten children, all of whom had colon cancer at one time or another, and their father (my kid's grandfather) died of it. Their mother died of ovarian cancer. My ex was the youngest of the children, and is one of only 4 left. The rest died of colon cancer, and he, along with the others who are still living, had it as well, but had surgery, chemo, etc., and have survived thus far. Three cousins in my kid's generation have had it as well.
Anyway, my DD is cleared for another 5 years now. After I brought her home, I drove her and the twins in her big SUV to pick up their big sister from school, and when we got back from doing that, I was backing out of her driveway when one of the twins got away from her and started jogging out towards the road. I turned my car off, leaped out and sprinted like an Olympic contender across her very wide lawn and just managed to grab that baby before he hit the street. Following that rush of adrenalin, I was ready to go home and nap for a while, but then had to pick up my sis and her son to take them to dinner on their last night here. Wanted to, of course - I'm not complaining - but when we finally got home at @ 9:30, it felt like midnight. Talked to DH about getting a fence put across the front of DD's property. I think it's a major necessaity now that those boys are running around like little gazelles.
Oh, family relationships - with siblings, I mean, certainly can be convoluted. Because of my strained relationship with my brother, I always worked extra hard to see to it that my children learned to care about each other and be there for each other, and they are all very close as a result. I'm very grateful for that.
ANYWAY, I have officially declared this to be MY DAY OF REST. I'll take on my laundry and some of the housekeeping chores that have been neglected tomorrow.
Mary, I am so impressed with all your yardwork! I put some flowers in big urns at the beginning of summer, water them when it doesn't rain enough, and let them grow until frost sets in. Then DH empties out the pots and saves the potting soil for the next year. We don't have a traditional green lawn, but rather shrubs and some trees surrounded by mulch and crushed rock "paths" around them. Lots of urns filled with flowers, and some perennials that come up along the borders by themselves. Easy-peasy - for me, anyway. (DH does a little more than I do out there).
Rosey, I envy your ability to laugh at yourself. I'm not so good at it, myself. I would've called those stupid Q-tips every name under the sun, swept them into a dust pan and thrown 'em out. Someday, I hope to learn some patience.
Hey, PT....not so much melancholic, I don't think , as just thinking about - and commenting on - the human condition. We are all pretty complicated creatures, and therefore, our relationships with others tend to be complicated, as well. Plus, when you get as old as I am, you think about these things a bit. I've tried really hard to understand/ communicate with my brother over the years, but was never sucessful. More recently, in response to his death, I've been questioning my own lack of emotion and wondering if there's something buried too deep to remember or figure out about it. On the other hand, maybe not. Life goes on until it doesn't anymore, I guess.
Hope you got that lightbulb taken care of, Lynn. I would actually rather NOT know how, myself. I have always found that the more I learn how - or figure out how to do, the more people EXPECT me to do. Especially at work. I have refused to learn how to scan documents into the copy machine, which means that somebody else has to do it for me, and that works just fine for me!
Bobbi - Oh, ack! I have to start switching my clothes out, too. When I got my winter clothes back from the cleaners in the early spring, I stored them all in those vacuum bags. I've yet to see how they come out, but I'm going to open one bag before I start in on the summer stuff, and if the winter ones don't come out all wrinkled (they're not supposed to) I'll do the same with my summer stuff. It sure cuts down on space.
Freda, that book sounds very interesting. I'd like to read it, I think, but knowing me, it'll shoot my blood pressure up. I swear, the way some people have treated others over the years (and are still doing it in plenty of places today) is just abominable...too nuts to ever make any kind of sense.
Sherrill, I never use ground beef in my cooking anymore because I don't eat any kind of red meat. I use ground turkey for meat loaf, meat balls, in pasta sauce, for stuffed peppers, etc. I think the key is to be sure to season it well (I use cumin, black pepper, and usually Mrs. Dash's garlic and herb seasoning) and when I'm doing the meatloaves or meatballs, I add chopped red & green peppers and onions and egg beaters, all of which add some moistness. I also give it a few good squeezes of ketchup. When the kids come over, or if we have guests, they never even know that they're eating turkey rather than ground beef. Oh, and I use it for tacos and such, as well.
And that, my dear Golden Girlies, is enough out of me for this pretty autumn morning. I'm going to wash my face, brush my teeth (nope, haven't done it yet; told you I was being a sloth today) and get myself down to the lake where I can sit and soak up some vitamin D. Might walk a bit along the trail, but not positive about that.
Enjoy fall, one and all!

Z
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #152  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...Quick check in...PT/Zoe, it sounds like a day just for yourself would be the ticket! You sound drained. The story about having to rescue your DGS was SCARY; I'm so glad you can move quickly when you need to move quickly!!!

Nothing much on the agenda today. Poop and piddle around... Of course, there are errands and dreaded domestic drudgery that always want attention. So, I'm going to get busy! Everything is VERY status quo here.

Everyone, have a lovely day! Be safe.....

Last edited by jess1; 09-22-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #153  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Good Morning Ladies,

The first day of fall is upon us. It will be in the 80s here today and the 90s by the weekend. My calendar must be off.

Ella - I do use ground turkey in tacos, pasta sauce, lasagna and other dishes. I could easily eat a ground turkey burger or a meatloaf, but DH knows the difference. The ground turkey meatloaf I made came out great, but he did not like it that much. It did not stop him from eating it for two nights though. Last night we had salads with tuna instead of my usual chicken. I loved it and so did DH.

I am so busy at work this week. The last few days I have spent typing (developing new regulations) and it is killing me. I have come home each night with a neck ache and headache. I do get up often and take a 2.5 mile walk each day during my lunch, but this typing is really getting to me.

I have a nice three-day weekend coming up. I plan on spending one day with younger DD and granddaughter. We are going shopping for winter clothes for granddaughter and to look at strollers. Besides that I will be working in the yard, riding my bicycle and putting together a photo album for my grandson. Everytime he visits us I take a ton of photos and then put them in an album for him to look at later. He is only three but he loves his special albums. My DD tells me that he is always pulling these albums out to relive the fun we had.

Hope you all have a great day.

Happy Fall!!!!!

Sherrill
Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all...had therapy and sitting here listening to my body sighing with relief of NO PAIN! Life is GOOD! At my age takes so little to make me happy.

Or not...went to therapy Monday am and when I came out my new car was banged in. The left front quarter panel has a bunch of dings and 2 long dull red paint smears. Car is ocean gray. No note nothing...sighhhhh poor nancy 2 months old and injuried. No security cameras or anything.

Have dermatology appointment tomorrow. Everyone in Fl wears bandaides yearly. DH and I go together and get spots blasted. Takes less than 1/2 hour and then safe for another year. Oh what we did to ourselves so many years ago in the name of beauty. I thought that maybe if I used those tanning clothes I could hide some of my age freckles. It turned my skin kinda yellowish and the freckles bright orange. And it doesn't wash off. Lucky the yellow is gone before I go to see the dermatologist......anyone want pack of wipes?

Made the best bbq chicken yesterday(skinless). Covered chicken with dab of evoo and lots of seasoned salt. Baked slowly and then covered with Lo cal FF bbq sauce. Wow....years ago used alot of seasoned salt and forgot about it. It acted like a dry rub and the chicken was wonderful. Dinner done for today, too. Another good thing.

I have a 1/2 sister 13 yrs older than me and a baby brother 4 yrs younger. Ruth and I look alike think alike and sound alike. She gave up her dolls and took me over. I adore her. DB is the opposite in everything and seldom see or even hear about him. Ruthie and I take after our daddy and DB takes after our mother. I can not remember my mother ever hugging me....that is okay cause Ruthie and Dad did often enough. It is hard to admit how much family dynamics dictate who and how you are. I am a toucher.I believe in laying my warm hands on you will help heal your soul and your body. Taught my kids to hug and laugh.(would like to have cool hands to lay on a fevered brow...sighhhh)

Everyone keeps talking about Fall....still the 3H's here. Cools off to 70's at night and we are getting a morning dew. But back in the 90's all day.

Off to bridge....hugs, karen3
Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Today was our monthly book club meeting. We had read a book (Bad Things Happen) that was TERRIBLE! The good thing was that we all agreed - the bad thing was that we didn't have much to discuss.

For next month, we will be reading "Room."

My fast walking at the gym has resulted in a BIG blister. Ordinarily, I wouldn't worry about it. But, I know that things with feet can turn into big problems bc of the diabetes. Anyway, I popped it & put some cream on it & stuck a bandaid on it. Will take tomorrow off from my exercise & hope it heals quickly.

Lynn
Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #156  

Hey everyone..a long day for me..out of the house by 8am..for a blood test then to hosp to visit mil..then dr apt errand running and groc shopping..when we got home i was pooped and had a nap..feeling much better now..im sry to admit i had my 1st gain in 6 months..i gained 1 # ..made me mad at myself..ttfn and ((hugs))) for all rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 09-22-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #157  

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hey everyone..a long day for me..out of the house by 8am..for a blood test then to hosp to visit mil..then dr apt errand running and groc shopping..when we got home i was pooped and had a nap..feeling much better now..im sry to admit i had my 1st gain in 6 months..i gained 1 # ..made me mad at myself..ttfn and ((hugs))) for all rosey
Hi Rosey,

Have you ever gone to "Fur Rondy?" My DD & SIL are planning a trip to Alaska this winter & want to go to this event.

Lynn
Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #158  

Good Morning Everyone,

Today, my DF and I are going to a musical in Philly - Curtains. We'll have lunch first. My plan is protein + salad.

The only exercise I did today was the bike - I'm hoping to let the blister heal. Tomorrow I'm supposed to do a 45 min fast walk.

Lynn
Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #159  

Good Morning all,

Nothing much planner today. it's catcup day. Laundry, groceries, errands....what an exciting life! tonight Kenzie has a soccer game and those are always fun.

Z, Hope you enjoyed your day alone. I'm sure you needed it after all the stress. Note sure you would enjoy the book either. Not sure that I really did. And i'm sure my BP shot up a few notches. You're right, the way some people have been treated is just revolting. But I learned a few things I wish didn't know.

Sherill, Sounds like you really enjoy those grands. They are fun aren't they? I keep albums too, but unlike you, I am way behind on upkeep.

Lynn, take care of that blister. First sign of a problem get to a foot dr. Enjoy you musical, sounds like fun!

Rosey, Don't worry about the pound. You will take it off soon. Are you still exercising? Keep up the good work, you are doing so well.

Karen, So glad to hear that the pain has finally gone away! Hard to do anything or concentrate on anything when you're in pain. Sorry about the new car getting banged up. I hate being the one to get the first ding in a new car! Have you hear of "Rika" I think that is spelled right. Maybe not. Anyway, it healing through energy and the laying on of hands and prayer. I think I got that right too. But maybe not, again. One of the nurses I work with does this.

Donna, always domestic work that needs to be done. errands to run. I think we need a maid. but then I would just sit around and get fatter, so I guess that's not such a great idea either.

Hope you have a good day,

freda
Old 09-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #160  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

You guessed it, rain! We have between 7-9 inches of rain in our area and it's still coming down. I'm feeling sorry for the farmers, the soy beans across from us were ready to harvest. Now there's a small pond in the middle of the field, our front lawn has a dip by the road that also has a small pond. Some roads have been closed because they're flooding out. Bummer!
I had to go out and refill the hummingbird feeder because the rain watered down the nectar, I moved it to under the eaves because it's suppose to rain all day.
Zoe...Good thing you're so fast on your feet, those little guys can sprint!
Sherrill...We had a large salad with tuna last night too, only we each had 3 pears on it too. (We have so many and needed to use them up before they spoil)
Donna...speaking of pears, when we picked up our 2nd case of peaches, they had Colorado pears available too. Yum-0... how lucky you are to have them grow right under your nose. They are so sweet and juicy.
Mary...I'm with you there, I couldn't live without it either. My life would be a lot more boring!
Quote:
Then there is me that is online way too often! They have a hard time understanding that and I don't see how they live without the internet!

Lynn...You're doing such a great job on the challenge thread and checking in every day.
Rosey...I'm not sure how you gained a pound, you're eating next to nothing. Maybe you had something salty and it's just water retention.
Freda...enjoy your day off.
Karen...glad to hear the pain is easing off. You're so blond, it's not surprising that you burn in that intense Florida sun. I have a bandaid on too, yesterday we had our flu shots. I probably should take it off today, I actually forgot about it until you mentioned bandaids.
Time to get with the program, can't do anything outside so I'm going to cook up some soup. I printed out a Tortilla chicken soup from allrecipes.com yesterday, it had a 4.5 star rating.
Have a good one!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #161  
Donna

Good Morning, All!
Bobbi, before I forget... Hungry Girl did a segment on soups this week. And I think recipe4living also did a big soup segment. I LOVE recipe4living! I'm signed up for the daily newsletter, and it's chock full of goodies, recipes, menus, etc. It's one of the best! I look forward to it every day...

Rosey, 1# in six months would be a dream-come-true for most people! As Freda said, you're doing SO well! I think maybe you were bubbling over with joy that day! Do you know yet when the surgery might happen?

I have NOTHING scheduled for today! Gawd, it feels like a staycation (thanks for that, PT/Zoe!)! I watched an episode of "Hoarders" (recommended to me by a friend, and I wonder if she was trying to tell me something???)... anyway, I have some motivation to attack (correct word!) the office. Maybe today would be a good day to ATTEMPT to START that! I need you, Bobbi!

Status quo here. Gorgeous fall weather... All is very good! Everyone, have a lovely day and be safe!!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #162  

Morning everyone..thanks for all the support and sympathy for my gain..my dr who last saw me in april(ive seen her associates) was very pleased with my hard work..i probably would have turtled (stayed the same) but i was late for my appt and didnt have a chance to use the bthrm befor hand..we are going to anch tomorrow for a stress test,echo cardiogram,grroup meeting at dr todds office and appt..this is my 6 months weighs ins and tests unless they need more teststhey will compile all results and medically clear me for surg or not..then it goes to ins company for approval and if that all happens with a yes i will get a surg date wheeee..im glad its coming to end..what ever the answer ill still cont with what im doing..my mil is resting comf ortably in the hospital..shes clueless about what her future will be..she thinks shes going back to her senior apartment but she cant live alone anymore..we are looking into nursing home and assisted living for her..shes going to hate this and i feel so sry for her..ill check in later,dh is going to store and needs alist..(((hugs))) rosey
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....Bobbi, i just read that your flooding is leftover hurricane Karl. After all these years first thing we check every morning is weatherunderground.com because those darn storms can fire up and hit us.

No bandaides...have 2 spots he froze, one on my cheek that I didn't notice and a fuzzy spot that itched on lower back. Cheek is swollen and look like Alvin and can't see my back. Good for another year. Dh was clean....gesh not fair he is out on the boat alot and never uses sun screen.

Rosey...you have come for far in the past year. I still remember when you disappeared and we worried about you. Then learning to deal with your mobility problems and losing even then....Not gaining when you have had wall to wall company was a darn good job. Hey girl I got the last book today from the library....so it's now 1823 and the flood just happened.

One trip years ago we came down from Montana to Salt Lake City. Ate fruit for days/miles...started with Bing cherries from FlatHead river area, then the peaches and plums from high desert valleys outside of Salt Lake. don't know if it was the altitude or what....grew up in area of small town East coast fruit farms, but these tasted so different....so sweet....Dh's family had the fruit farm since 1705. Shocked me no end when I finally started buying fruit instead of picking.

Lynn...watch that blister...no fast walking if you can't keep blister protected. did you watch survivor last night. Yay for the old guys.

Went out to dinner tonight...had grilled grouper and sauted spinach which was beyond good. The garlic is left me so thirsty that wanna lay in the bath tub and let the water run down my throat....Definitely not kissable....phewwww...

Happy first day of Autumn.....it is 92 degrees here....hugs,karen3
Old 09-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #164  

Good Morning Everyone,

Bandaged up my toe & did 45 minutes fast walking this morning. Took my car in for service & walked the neighborhood while it was being worked on.

The play yesterday was cute - NOT great, but OK. Lunch was delicious. We found a nice little seafood restaurant in Philly & the food and service were EXCELLENT.

I'm thinking of going to a movie this afternoon by myself. I've never done that before. I'll see.

Have a good day,

Lynn
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #165  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Good morning ladies,

Just came back from a 15-mile bicycle ride. It was cold out this morning! I rode without the sleeves on my vest jacket and froze. I am telling you, those bicycle pants suck you in and make you look a lot thinner. My DH and I are going to attempt a ride our tandem bike this weekend. He has not ridden in over a year and we are going to take it nice and slow. Due to his ataxia it is hard for him to feel his feet so he struggles keeping his feet on the peddles. At least he is going to make an attempt. He is such a trooper.

I am going to try and find a nice lean mushroom soup recipe for this weekend. I have a hankering for some soup. I am also going to harvest some my pomegranates. I bring them into the house and let them sit for a week or two and then I start getting them ready for jam I. I remove the seeds, put the seeds in a gallon plastic bag, roll the seeds with a rolling pin and then drain the juice and freeze it. I also freeze some of the whole seeds to add to my jam. I give the jam out to friends and family at Christmas. I am going to try a low sugar recipe this year.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Sherrill
Closed Thread