Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #271  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Oh, my legs feel like lead! I walked today and left the running to the young and foolhardy. I thought the muscles were feeling great when I got out of bed but when I went out walking they let me know I'd run the day before. I'll try again tomorrow. (Maybe)

I made the bread but it seems really heavy. I added raisins and cinnamon as there was molasses in the recipe and thought I'd turn the recipe into raisin cinnamon bread. I'll find out how it tastes tonight and if its good I'll post the recipe. The homemade granola bars taste good but way too many nuts and raisins. The fruit and nuts won't stick in the "dough" and keep falling out. Next time I'll half the raisins and nuts and chop them up. They made 30 bars at approximately 171 calories each. They certainly not low fat/sugar but taste really good. Now, if they had a coating of chocolate....

You guys seem to have quite a bit of snow this winter and we've had hardly any. But last year we got dumped on in March so I'm not gonna start bragging yet. It's been really mild too except for 2 weeks of bitterly cold weather. Zoe, I was watching the Boston news last night and saw the snow. I remarked to DH about how much had fallen in your area.

Bobbi, is there any way you can have the cabinet remade smaller? Seems a shame not to be able to use it. We had our sink cabinet and a medicine cabinet custom made by my SIL's brother.

Donna, I looked up that HCG injection thing and found these links. I'd never heard of it before.
http://weight-loss-methods.suite101....nadotropin_hcg
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...wx1PFTq_rT5Kfw

Thank you, Freda.

Snow makes me grumble, too, Lynn.

I think I'll go taste that bread.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #272  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

grumblegrumblegrumble FOG & MORE RAIN in California grumblegrumblegrumble

Isabella, I love to bake! I have some really awesome cookbooks that I've been playing with over the last few years, but I've mostly made a simple European-style wheat loaf most of my life. Flour (3:1 unbleached all-purpose to whole wheat), water, salt, yeast and olive oil. It's what my mother, who is originally from Greece, taught me when I was little. I just love the feel of the dough and how the house smells when I bake. I've started playing with artisinal baking, so I've added different flours, thrown ice cubes onto the oven floor for a crispier crust, recently made savory biscotti with black pepper and walnuts (for dunking into wine) and am about to take a stab at lower-fat cinnamon rolls. I used to live in a community where lots of people would come over during my baking days and we'd chat, have some fun and they'd leave with most of the bread, which was good for me. But now that I'm back in California, where neighbors don't talk to each other, I'm having to cut way back on production for self-preservation.

Two days after the car accident, the left side of my neck is really sore, plus left wrist continues to be sore. It's a little swollen, but I'll live. I went to the doctor yesterday and he told me to come back tomorrow for a complete physical. New doctor, and when I started spilling the beans on all my pre-existing conditions, he ordered complete blood work and the physical. He's threatening me with Metformin plus something additionally for cholesterol lowering, even though my cholesterol levels have always been downright holy perfect. Except my good cholesterol is on the low side, but I've been taking the fish oil capsuals and eating lots of cold water, wild-caught fish. He can prescribe all he wants, but he'll have to convince me I should take it.

So he thinks the Metformin will help me lose more weight. That's really what I'm seeking, so I'll probably take that. I'll only need it until I get down to a level low enough so that I won't need it any longer. The same goes for the blood pressure meds. What I'm seeing here is a need for me to concentrate on very healthy eating, daily exercise, managing stress better, and to have some good fun.

When I first found out I had type 2 diabetes, I did my very best to track what foods made my blood sugar spike, I manipulated my foods very carefully, I did aerobics after eating carbs, all in an effort to manage it all without meds. I did that for four years, but this last year has really been rough and it's been hard to stay with the plan. I successfully got my A1c from 6.9 to 6.4. I've been shooting for dropping that to 6 for the last two years, mostly by losing more weight. But drastic carb and calorie cutting hasn't been helping, and I've dropped the ball on the exercise.

Now I'm settled in my new home with my sons, life is moving forward on the new track, stress is greatly reduced and managed, and my head is back in the optimum health game. And the big plus, I've got a great support system! Today I feel very centered and strong.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #273  
South Beach P2

S/C/G: 168/160/120

Height: 5'2

Hi Everyone!

Guess what? I have a ticker And I lost another pound! I am positively ecstatic! One more pound and I will be moving into the 150s. All this talk about baking and bread is making me sooo hungry though. I'm being good and having some greek yogurt and apple slices but I really want bread and lots of it, LOL. I'll be back later this evening. I have the baby today and she's napping but that won't last long. Just had to share the good news!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #274  
South Beach P2

Hi GG's,

I'm back and happy to relax with a glass of vino and a leisurely perusal of the posts. I have a nice ground turkey breast chili simmering on the stove. No exercise program today and that bothers me a little bit. But minding my DGD really keeps me moving and every 10 days or so I feel a need to take a day off. Spring is just around the corner here and I am feeling the urge for some spring cleaning both inside and out of the house. Actually, I'm feeling the need for some updating which goes far beyond spring cleaning. I'm thinking about tackling something small first. Wanting to take down some wallpaper in the middle bath and paint. Anyone take down wallpaper successfully and paint without messing up the sheetrock? I'm thinking it will snowball from there. It's been about 15 years since we built this house and time for repainting and updating. As far as outside, there is a ton of gardening to do. I need to pull on the gloves, grab a wheelbarrow and dig in. This has been the worst winter I can remember and everything ornamental is dead, dead, dead.
I need to remove all the dead foliage and try and determine what might come back. That's a huge job. Anyone have a veggie garden? DH brought home a tomatoe plant a couple of weeks ago and we've been nursing it through all the frosts until it's safe to actually put in the ground. It has some teeny-tiney little tomatoe buds already. I'm planning tomatoes, cukes, peppers, zuchinni, yellow squash, okra, green beans.

Someone here mentioned looking forward to their pool. We have a pool too and so looking forward to all the family and friend gatherings. Also introducing baby granddaughter to her first summer dips and feeling some grass between her toes. Hopefully Gran will be feeling more attractive in her swimsuit, LOL. Anyone else dreaming of spring and summer? Vacation plans anyone? Spring cleanings or sprucing ups?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 AM   #275  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good morning Everyone,

Still snowing! Good news - our electricity has NOT gone out. However, we have not yet gotten the predicted high winds.

Doctor says that there is no fracture. However, he wants me to have another xray in 4 weeks to check on the "spot." Radiologist says it looked "benign." Doctor now says the "spot" is probably unrelated to me jamming my knee. Who knows!

My knee keeps getting better. Will try the treadmill today.

Check back later,

Lynn
Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #276  
South Beach P2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Good morning Everyone,

Still snowing! Good news - our electricity has NOT gone out. However, we have not yet gotten the predicted high winds.

Doctor says that there is no fracture. However, he wants me to have another xray in 4 weeks to check on the "spot." Radiologist says it looked "benign." Doctor now says the "spot" is probably unrelated to me jamming my knee. Who knows!

My knee keeps getting better. Will try the treadmill today.

Check back later,

Lynn
Lynn,
That's fabulous news on the knee
Old 02-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #277  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5 2

No time to chat this am, plumber coming.
Lynn...great news, don't get over zealous on the treadmill!
Isabella...no, can't cut the new cabinet down. The top is attached with a oval cut in the top to fit the new sink. We took the sink back to Home Depot and purchased a new cabinet and marble top.
Hi and bye everyone
Quote:
I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my panties.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #278  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Donna,
I posted your Greek Pizza recipe up in the Recipe thread - so we can always find it. Whenever I'm searching for something to make, I wander through that thread. Stuff gets lost on this daily chatter thread.

Hi Rosey,
I'm going to check out "Hungry Girl" - good thing to do on a SNOWY day.

Hi Cindy,
Good job on sticking with your plan. Too bad you live so far from me - I do NOT love my hairdresser. Really need to get a new one. I like the way he cuts about 50% of the time. From your photo, you have EXACTLY the style I want! I just let color grow out to gray in the past couple of months. Maybe my problem is the texture change.

CONGRATULATIONS on your BEAUTIFUL new ticker!

Vacation plans - in addition to April trip to Italy, my sister and I are planning a driving trip to FL in March for our annual "cousins' reunion." There are 6 of us who spend a week together every year. We live in NJ, PA, GA, FL, and OH. We are VERY different people, but have MUCH in common. Also, on 3/12, I am taking my DD & SIL to Philly for my DD's birthday present trip that had to be cancelled when I hurt my knee.

Hi Georgia,
I will check out that guided imagery audio guided imagery audio CDs by Belleruth Napersteck Another good thing to do on a SNOWY day. BTW - what is artisnal baking?

About diabetes meds - I use Janumet. I take one in AM and one in PM. Combined with the exercise & low-GCI carbs, keeps my blood sugar A1C at 5.5.

Hi Isabella,
Congratulations on meeting your 60 minute goal! You are such an athlete! I used to do my taxes. However, after I married, it got too complicated. Now I just gather stuff & deliver to accountant. Still gathering - another good thing to do on a SNOWY day.

How did the bread turn out? BTW - did you use a breadmaker? After I got diabetes, I gave mine to my niece. Now that I've figured out how to incorporate some carbs, I wish I had it back. If I had some more counter space, I might get a new one. However, between the coffee-maker, blender, crock pot, juicer, toaster... there is NO room.

Hi Linda,
CONGRATULATIONS on loss of another pound! GOOD for you! Please post your tortilla recipe up in the Sticky area recipe thread.

Hi Freda,
How can you say you are not doing good!?!? You lost 45 pounds and have kept it off! You are one of my role models. BTW - I've got the yucky "pewter" colored hair too.

Hi Bobbi,
Sorry about your sink/cabinet. Doctor said to let the pain guide my actions. Do what I want, but back off when it hurts. Of course, the problem is that it doesn't hurt until AFTER the exercise. Will do the 20 minutes today & see how that does.

Hi Zoe,
I am also in feeding frenzy mode. Happens to me every time it SNOWS. My strategy is to cook/bake stuff that's healthy. This way, even if I overeat, at least it's stuff that's good for me.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 02-26-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #279  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...

Lynn, thanks for posting the recipe on the Recipe Thread... I didn't even think of that. It's good; I think you'll all like it!

Status quo... always status quo. My head is dented from beating it against the wall. Nothing much is happening. I'm ready for something drastic!!

Hope you're all warm and safe. PT, my friend... yo!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #280  

good Afternoon ladies,

It's snowing again. I had to get out for awhile this morning, out of necessity. Other wise, a good day to stay home. The roads are already getting slick.

Donna, I know how frustrating it can be, we all do. And I was thinking of doing something drastic too, for those last few pounds. I looked into ALLI. But, in the end I decided not to take it, in spite of the Dr.'s at work saying it wasn't that bad. And, eventually, I did start losing again. I was eating clean and healthy and exercising and i wanted to see that darn scale MOVE!!! But, in the mean time I was getting healtier and stronger.

Lynn, Good news. I hope your knee continues to improbe. Start out easy if you get on the treadmill. Don't push it untill you see how it is going to act.

Cindy, YEAH!!!! you have a sticker!! Running and lifting a small child is most surely exercise. I've been getting those low down spring cleaning blues too. We took the wallpaper down from the small bathroom and painted. And the wallpaper came down easy, wasn't as much work as we expected it to be, and no damage at all to the drywall. Hope yours turns out as well. The talk of starting a garden is making me anxious to get outside and play in the dirt! I don't have a place as big as you obviously do, can't put that much, but I do so enjoy planting and watching things grow. We're going to try some new heirloom tomatoes this year. They just sound so interesting.

Georgia, Diabetes is such a terrible disease. Affects every thing in your body. I hope you can eventually lose weight and exercise enough that you won't need medication. In the mean time, as meds go, metformin is quite beneficial. And from what I understand, it not only helps with weight loss (one of the only drug that does) but it also helps with cholesterol. I hope if you decide to go that route that it helps you. They do say that losing just 10% of your body weight, along with an exercise program can help a lot with preventing type 2 diabetes.

Bobbi, How disapointing that things didn't work out as you planned with the decorating. So it goes. Things are always more expensive than you think, take more time, and someting goes wrong. But it was easily corrected.

Isabella, your preseverance never fails to amaze me! How you can cook and bake like you do and continue to lose weight is beyond me!

Karen, where are you? Hope you're feeling stronger.

Rosie, Hope things are going well for you. Are you still exercising in anticipation of your surgery?

Z, another one here that is NOT quick with the witty comback! I find myself thinking of the perfect thing to say, hours after I should have said it!

Make it a good day,

freda

Last edited by the slim me; 02-26-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #281  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Freda, thanks for the info on the Metformin. Helps me to feel better about that. I did lose 40 lbs. about three years ago, which is what made my A1c drop from the initial 6.9 to 6.4. I haven't been able to lose another ounce. Or rather, I lose some only to gain it back, within a 10 lb range. Very frustrating. Hopefully, the Metformin will help me get past that hurdle enough to drop another 10% and get favorable results.

Lynn, artisan or artisinal bread baking is one of the oldest forms of baking. You'll see a lot of it at the bakeries in Italy (sooooooo jealous!)

Before there were commercially available yeasts, people used to save a little dough from their last batch of bread, create a poolish (adding more flour and water to feed the yeast) and make their next batch of bread with a long, slow fermentation and rising process. This helps the bread to last longer too. The resulting bread has a nutty, sweet flavor. I like to make bread like this because it doesn't require so much timing on the early part of the rise and I can let the poolish do its work all morning to develop flavor. A really good baking book, if you're a foodie like me, is The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum. She also has a great baking blog with recipes and tons of info about baking.

Now I'm in the mood to bake! Which is usually followed by eating...can't go there!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #282  

Morning everyone its a beautiful sunny day here..im going to go out on the deck today just to get outside..the sun melted a patch where i can sit..its amazing how fast a week can go by when you are retired just puttering around Jess sry you are frustrated..have you ever heard of the wendy affect ? its weight watcher term check it out..its a way to jump start your metabolism.. my dd used it and it worked for her..georgia,i take metformin and it hasnt helped me loose wt,but it does control my sl level,the yeast you are talking about is like the sourdough starter we use here..my gf has a starter thats 10+ yrs old,she makes pancakes with hers..homemade breads are my weakness..my mom always made our bread..so the smell of fresh baked bread and coffee brewing brings back my child hood..well here i am rambling like my puttering,hoping you all have a fun day rosey
Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #283  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Rosey, I googled "Wendy Affect", "Wendy Effect," "Weight Watcher Wendy Affect" and "Weight Watcher Wendy Effect"......nothing. So, what IS it?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #284  
Isabella

Hello girls. I went to a housewarming party last night for nephew and fiancee and pigged out on potato chips...sigh...I was sitting next to another lady who was doing the same and we were telling each other how we couldn't have them in the house...sigh...

Walked this morning with DH. There was hoar frost on everything. It was so thick it looked imitation. Told DH we should have had next Christmas' pictures taken as everything looked like winter wonderland.

Today's cooking triumph was a vegan lasagna. We have friends who are vegan and I wanted to make something they'd eat when we get together. It turned out wonderful and looks like my regular vegetable/cheese lasagna. I used tofu for the ricotta cheese. I mashed it up and added lemon juice and salt to it. Then I made a "cheese" sauce in my blender with more tofu, nutritional yeast, red pepper, salt, oil and lemon juice thickened with a little cornstarch. Tasted pretty good too. The lemon juice gave it a nice tangy taste like real cheese has. I put a little of that between the layers and topped it off with a generous portion. I used zucchini, onion, mushrooms, grated carrot, red and green pepper, and spinach in the tomato sauce so it's really a one meal dish but we'll have salad and baked beans also.

I also found plantains in our local grocery store today. I almost thought I was in the wrong store in the wrong town. We never have anything like that in the produce section in our town. I bought 2 and sliced them up and fried (yes fried) them with onion and red and green peppers for supper. We had scrambled eggs with them. (I was trying to do a Julia Child omelet but never quite succeeded as the egg stuck to the pan.) DH looked at his plate and asked if we were having bananas for supper. Now, this man has had plantain several times during our life together but never can remember eating them before when we have them. DH eats whatever I set before him even if he doesn't really like it so he ate his share of the plantains. Not sure if he liked them or not as he's not the type to gush over food. I, on the other hand, enjoyed them immensely. You can add me to the feeding frenzy crowd.

I've made artisan bread before--really delicious but I felt the need to eat the whole loaf. But there's nothing like the smell of fresh bread. It's such a comforting and safe feeling smell.

The only bread maker I have is what are attached and hanging from my shoulders. I keep thinking I'd like to get one but I don't have the space either. My kitchen counters are so crowded now. I don't have much cupboard space so the counters are not long but they are filled. I should have had a huge kitchen with cupboards and counters and islands and pantries and extra stove burners and at least 2 ovens...sigh...but alas mine is of the essential necessity type. But I do have a built in breakfast nook which I would gladly turn into a pantry but DH loves to eat his breakfast there. It neither overlooks nor faces anything and he could very well take the 7 steps necessary to eat in the dining area but, no, he enjoys the nook.

I've got to go do the dishes and clean up the kitchen. You'd think a small kitchen would be easy to keep tidy and cleaned up. Hahahahahaha, not when I'm the one cooking and baking. DH washed the floor earlier just after supper so I won't be sticking onto the floor but the dishes are piled up. So I bid you adieu til we meet again.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #285  
Isabella

Donna, I found this. http://www.stormpc.com/ww/wendie_plan.htm
Closed Thread