Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #241  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Bobbi, I swear you made my day! Eccentric! That’s right! That’s how I hope to be remembered – you hit the nail right on the head with that one, girlfriend! If I’m going to get old(er), then I’m going to do it with a little panache. I LOVE it when people look twice at my plaid or striped (or geometric printed) panty hose, or remark on a scarf or big, clunky piece of jewelry or something. My granddaughter – little Morgan, the one whom we are currently traipsing around with her cousin Devon on all these monthly “field trips” of ours – is a straight A student and a complete math whiz (her dad is a high school math teacher) but also LOVES fashion design, so she and I share a common interest, and have some very technical discussions about the proper fabric for our designs and such. DH and I bought her the super deluxe (and all the related stuff) fashion design studio thingie that comes with a dressmaker’s dummy, all sorts of fabric and trimming, and a computer-generated designing tool plus video something-or-other. We’re having a ball with it…DH says he’s not sure whether we got it for her or ME…
ANYHOO, after seeing your picture, Freda, I was wondering why on earth you were hanging out with the fat chicks…but then I saw your whattayacallit – weight tracker thingamajig – and remembered that you’ve actually lost 45 pounds! Really impressive! You look great, and I am now more inspired than ever to get rid of my unwanted poundage!
Oh, PT…..we’re supposed to get more snow tomorrow and Wednesday, too! I’m feeling just like you are. Enough, already! And, PT, we also share a fondness for spring, and a not-so-fondness for the summer heat. And, AC makes me stuffy, so I only have it on in the absolute worst of it – I had ceiling fans installed in every single room a year ago, and try to get by just using them. Sometimes it’s okay, other times all they do is move hot air from one place to another.
Cindy, I liked Julie & Julia pretty well. Can’t say that I would call it the best movie I’ve ever seen, but I do like Meryl Streep, and it was kind of neat seeing Julia Child’s house in Cambridge – we must’ve driven past it a thousand times! All that rich cooking though….hmmmmm.
Rosey, I’m glad that you’re going to start some exercising where you sit. The more you move, the better. You know we’re all rooting for you, girl!
Okay, Lynn. Have you seen that movie that came out a few years back about quantum physics? What the Bleep (do we know)? If not, I highly recommend it – and the sequel, “Down the rabbit Hole”. Really thought-provoking, to say the least.
Get well soon, Karen!
Linda, I think I’m giving up on white noise, the sound of ocean waves, self hypnosis, and brain wave whatever. No matter what I listen to, it seems to have the opposite effect and keeps me awake rather than lulling me to sleep. I slept really well Saturday night after a very full day with the grandkids (8 hours straight with them) but not so well last night despite getting outside and walking with DH and then hanging at my DD’s for 3 hours from 6 – 9 playing with the twinnies and helping get them bathed and ready for bed. Woe is me. I’m taking the Melatonin, too. Good grief.
Oh, Bobbi! I swear I live in FEAR of that exact same thing happening with my closet! I’d better remind DH to be sure to find studs in that new closet he’s building for me!
Isabella, where ARE you?????
I walked with Leslie this morning, and am counting everything that passes my lips again after that awful day Saturday. I walked outside yesterday, and counted, so hopefully, I didn’t do too much damage.
Have a great day, everybody!!!

Z
Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #242  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Good afternoon Golden Gals. I've been in hiding this past weekend. Hahaha. Everyone sounds so busy.

Karen, hope you're feeling much better by now.

Bobbi, those mats you bought are really good. Some of the teacher's I worked with had them in their room and we have a few at church in the children's room that they use to play on. They would make an excellent cushion for your feet.

Zoe, you had a great time with the kidlets this weekend. I can't wait til our DGS is old enough to take places. Maybe by then he'll have a little brother or sister or even a little cousin.

Lynn, your fat cats look very well cared for and happy. My sister is a great cat aficionado. She has her own which are cared for better than some children and then she feeds strays and any other neighborhood cat who wants to go out for a bite to eat. BTW, your trip to Italy is sounding more interesting by the day.

Rosey, to answer your question: I have one DIL who I would drop in at any time, but we always phone as they are a 4 hours drive away. Our second DIL announced before she married DS that she'd like a phone call from anyone before they came to visit. DH was quite taken back by that but I told him not to be so foolish. She has a larger family than ours and they are the type to drop in and stay. She just wanted to know in case she'd be out or had an appointment, etc. We always phone anyway as they are 1 hour away and we'd hate to show up and not have anyone at home. So I guess I always phone just to make sure someone is home. If I lived in the same town, I'd probably just drop in if I was close by but I guess I'm a phoner now because of distance. We have relatives in town who just drop in and we just drop in on them and I'm OK with that too.

Linda, we have a Marble Mountain in Newfoundland. It's a ski hill and resort. I'll bet it's quite a bit different from the one in CA. Sounds like you had a nice hike out there in the woods.

Freda, you look like a little girl in your avatar. You are well named "the slim me."

Donna, I'm sick of winter, too. But I love summer. It doesn't get desperately hot here in the summer. Everyone complains about the heat but it's not really that hot. It gets at the warmest about 30-32 Celsius (86-90 F) and that only lasts for a few days. It's usually around 25 C (77 F) which is quite pleasant. It cools down at night and it's not too hot to sleep. We do however get quite a bit of humidity at times which makes it feel hotter. My sister always says she never complains about the humidity because it's the only time she's warm.

Cindy, I haven't seen "Julie & Julia" but I thought I'd love that movie. I've been watching the real Julia Child at this link and have really enjoyed watching her cook. No diet food in her repertoire of recipes. http://video.pbs.org/program/1073557581/#page

I walked/jogged this morning and got my best time ever on the 6.55 kilometres that I do. This morning I did it in the record time of (drum roll, please) 1 hour and 4 minutes. My goal is to do it in 60 minutes or less and I was hoping to do that by June or July so I guess I'm going to lower that goal to under 50 minutes or less. When I started out it would take me 90 minutes to complete the route. It was so warm here today (7 C/ 45 F) that I wore my spring jacket with a t-shirt and sweater underneath but I had to peel off the sweater half way round the route as I was almost overcome with heat. Anyhoo, I was totally pumped by the time I got home. Tired but excited. I could hear the crowd roaring (over-active imagination) as I neared the finish line (my back door). Just wait til I hit 60 minutes!! I'll have to have a medal struck for the occasion.

Hope you're all having a great day. Catch you later.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #243  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

That white stuff is still falling, with about 5 inch accumulation already. But the roads are clear. I was out early this morning. I had to go to the hospital for a mock code. It's to refresh our skills and make sure we know exactally what to do during a real code. It's that time again, we have to do this every year. A good thing, I guess, but for us old times, just a drag.

Donna, thank you for saying I look thin. It was a long hard journey to get here. I hate summer too, I just wilt in the heat, but i've had about enough of the cold this year too. I have just a touch of Raynards in my hands and feet and have to put them in warm water to warm them when they get cold
too.

Z, What beautiful grandchildren! And I think being remembered as the "essentric" grandma is wonderful! Yes, I lost quite a bit, the hard way. At one point I was plateauing and thought about taking ALLi. But I finally started losing again and got off the last few pounds. I also stopped comming to the site for awhile. After all, I was at goal. But I started gaining again and found that I need you guys for support and inspiration!!! I think Bobbi did the same thing. So, girlie, you are stuck with me. I learn slow, but I learn!

Lynn, What a pain!! I hope things get fixed quickly! We depend on those things.

Bobbi, The cast is off now. it was removed, finally, end of Dec. The picture is of my grandson and I with our first casts. He's 10 and I'm 62. There was much discussion about the color my cast should be. Kids, they keep things fun! AND, thanks for reminding everyone of the symptoms of a stroke. Something everyone should know.

Cindy, thank goodness the cast is gone! Seems like I wore it forever. Got a broken foot that wouldn't heal, that is why I am having a hard time starting back to exercising. I'm glad you are seeing the results of dieting/exercise. The scale is one way to judge, but I really prefer my jeans. They are an excellent judge and the scale doesn't always show the real story.

Freda
Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #244  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hey, All...
Freda, I checked on Raynaud's, too, because it seemed to maybe fit my poor suffering hand... but I think not. My pain is in the metacarpals on the right hand...they just ache and are so sensitive to the cold. When I run tepid water over them, to warm them, the pain is sharp. Oh, this old age crap sucks!!
I'm not having a good day. I'm HUNGRY for JUNK... salt and sweet! I could eat two or three bags of chips and two or three boxes of GS cookies in one sitting! Lucky it's too cold to go outside!! Bah, bah!
Hope the day is a good one for all of you!!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #245  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hmmm. <looking around> You mean I’m the first one here today???? Glad to see that you’re not hiding on us anymore, Isabella – and wowza, lady! Before we know it, you’ll be headed for the Olympics, fahgoodness’ sake! If I wasn’t so basically lazy, I’d be envious. Okay. I AM envious. Not envious enough to get out there and try to emulate what you’re doing, but envious, nonetheless. You are one fit retired person, you are! I have a feeling that once I retire, I’m really going to have to push myself to get in the required exercise. I may just spend the rest of my life walking a mile each day with ole’ Leslie Sansone. On the other hand, maybe once I’m actually retired, I’ll be more motivated to do stuff. One can only hope…. Oh, you and Bobbi…and Lynn and…and…..Oh, boy, I’m really behind the eight-ball here, aren’t I?
AND, I’ve been thinking about summer coming and how I’m SO looking forward to spending time at the ocean, and how I would SO like to feel comfortable in a bathing suit again without feeling compelled to tie a sarong around my waist or wear some sort of billowy cover-up. This requires a little exercise, as WELL as dietary adjustments. Boohoo. Well, I need to make the choice, right? Either sit at the beach wrapped like an old granny gump, or get out there and swim and jump through the waves, and have some serious fun! I’m thinking FUN…..so I’d better get up off my hiney and do a little more than I’m doing currently. Tsk.
Freda, you just keep right on hanging here, girl. I seriously need all the motivation – and role models - that I can get!
PT, nononononono……salt and sugar are our biggest enemies!!!! I sometimes picture them as an opposing army troop coming over a hill with swords in hand and horses at full gallop. Then, coward that I am, I turn and RUN! I’m serious about this….I use imagery for a lot of things, including my attempts to deal with cravings. I start picturing what the “salty” soldiers look like, and the “sweet” soldiers (in pink tutus) and before I know it, my focus has switched from wanting to eat them to wanting to laugh at them. Then, sometimes, I eat them anyway , but it’s fun while it lasts, yanno?
Okay. I walked this morning with you-know-who, came to work, ate my yogurt with a half cup of (original) Fiber One cereal mixed into it, and am now sipping my coffee and thinking about what I have to get done. Ugh. <looking at the clock> I can leave here in 6 ½ hours. And, I can leave here for GOOD in 112 weeks. (Who me? I’m not counting… )
We’re supposed to have nasty weather over the next few days – until Friday, I guess. Nothing here yet; everything will probably start right around the time we leave for home. Delightful commute, no doubt. Ah, well.
Have a mahvelous day, all….

Z
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #246  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Mornin'
I'll catch up with ya all tomorrow, places to go and things to do.
I just had to share the beautiful Hibiscus that greeted me this morning. Soon the whole plant will be in bloom!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-27-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #247  

Good Morning everyone,

I just finished exercising and I'm feeling really proud of my self right now. I went a full 30 min. today. YAHOO!

Donna, I think we all have those days. AND I have a girl scout in the family, so there are several boxes of GS cookies in my house. Talk about temptation! But, i've been preggy good. 2 cookies with a cup of tea once a day. That keeps me sane. May not be perfect, but neither am I.

Z, Summer is comming soon and just thinking about facing a bathing suit makes me crazy. But there are a few months untill then and plenty of time to get more fit.

Bobbi, How beautiful. Is that in your house? It wintered over? You'll have to give me your secrets. I have no luck.

Isabella, you have come a long way baby! I remember your first walks. Would you have ever thought you would get to this point? But that is the way we have to start. one step, one walk, at a time. When you hit that 60 min. we'll all celebrate with you!!

Karen, I hope you are feeling better. Lots of stuff going around this year. That stuff really wipes you out.

Lynn, I hope you are back up and running.

Freda
Old 02-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #248  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY – I’m back online!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Young man who fixed my computer was VERY competent – I got his name and number for next time I have problems.

I’m making chicken marsala for DD & SIL. We’re trying different wines from Tuscany & the one for tonight is supposed to be good with chicken.

Check back later,

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Releve View Post
Hi Everyone,

It's been a very quiet weekend here, so I don't have much to contribute. DH and I rented the movie "Julie & Julia" from Redbox. It was DH's turn to pick and I didn't say anything, but I just knew I was going to hate it. Surprisingly, I wound up enjoying it very much! Meryl Streep made a very good Julia. Has anyone else seen this one?

Lynn: Glad to hear your knee is feeling somewhat better. Still, take it easy for a while if you can. Who is taking care of your cats while you will be in Italy and when will you be leaving? I've always been more of dog person. When our corgi passed 8 years ago, we decided against another dog. It's always difficult to travel and board. I'm glad we did the shelter rescue thing with the cat. She has been the most perfect companion. My first experience with a cat and I just love it. Cindy
Hi Cindy,

Yes, I saw J&J with my DD & SIL – we all loved it. I bought my DD Julia Child Cookbook for Christmas.

I have a cleaning lady who will stop by in the morning and evening to feed them, clean the litter, and check on them. I’m worried about them missing me – they are pretty affectionate, but at least they have each other. They are from a cat shelter also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]
Yesterday in church they had a sign up sheet for a Bone Builders exercise program starting March 9th. It'll be Tue. & Thurs. at 5:30 pm. Not only is it free but they provide all the equipment. I can't wait, the sessions are 1 hour twice a week. It's so much easier to exercise when in a group and it's only a 2 miles drive for me!

Lynn...good job on easing in 20 minutes exercise! I'd rather see you behind on your exercise and get your knee healed up for your trip. Take it easy! Hi everyone I missed, gotta get going.
Hi Bobbi,

I think I need the “Bone Builders” program! Still sitting around with my leg elevated & ice on my knee. Doctor called & said he needs to talk with me about the xray report. I’m guessing there is probably some kind of hairline fracture & he wants to check for osteoporosis. I will see him on Thursday.
I’m doing ONLY arm exercises – not supposed to do much on my leg until after I see the doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Okay, Lynn. Have you seen that movie that came out a few years back about quantum physics? What the Bleep (do we know)? If not, I highly recommend it – and the sequel, “Down the rabbit Hole”. Really thought-provoking, to say the least. Z
Hi Zoe,

Yes, saw the Bleep – but did not see the other – I’ll see if I can order on Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Lynn, your fat cats look very well cared for and happy. My sister is a great cat aficionado. She has her own which are cared for better than some children and then she feeds strays and any other neighborhood cat who wants to go out for a bite to eat. BTW, your trip to Italy is sounding more interesting by the day.

I walked/jogged this morning and got my best time ever on the 6.55 kilometres that I do. This morning I did it in the record time of (drum roll, please) 1 hour and 4 minutes. My goal is to do it in 60 minutes or less and I was hoping to do that by June or July so I guess I'm going to lower that goal to under 50 minutes or less. When I started out it would take me 90 minutes to complete the route. It was so warm here today (7 C/ 45 F) that I wore my spring jacket with a t-shirt and sweater underneath but I had to peel off the sweater half way round the route as I was almost overcome with heat. Anyhoo, I was totally pumped by the time I got home. Tired but excited. I could hear the crowd roaring (over-active imagination) as I neared the finish line (my back door). Just wait til I hit 60 minutes!! I'll have to have a medal struck for the occasion.
Hope you're all having a great day. Catch you later.
Hi Isabella,

I’ve always had cats – usually just 1 at a time. Having the 2 of them is fun. GREAT going on your walk/jog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Hi Everyone,
Lynn, What a pain!! I hope things get fixed quickly! We depend on those things.

Cindy, thank goodness the cast is gone! Seems like I wore it forever. Got a broken foot that wouldn't heal, that is why I am having a hard time starting back to exercising. I'm glad you are seeing the results of dieting/exercise. The scale is one way to judge, but I really prefer my jeans. They are an excellent judge and the scale doesn't always show the real story. Freda
Hi Freda,

I HATED being offline. Funny how we have become dependent on these machines!

Did you need surgery on your foot? Did you ever find out why it wouldn’t heal?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #249  

Lynn, I didn't have to have surgery on my foot , but that was the next step. I did have to have an electrical stimulator, which, thank God, the insurance covered. At least it better have. It cost around 5000.00 dollars. I had to use it every day for 3 hours. My bone density is fine. The doctor has no idea why my bone broke. I hope you get good news from the doctor! But, since he wants to have a "talk" with you, i'm thinking that something is wrong too! I'm crossing my fingers that i'm wrong.

Last edited by the slim me; 02-23-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #250  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning (afternoon!), All...

It's 39 outside! 47 for tomorrow!! OMG, yeah!!!

I made the Greek Vegetarian Pita Pizza that was on, I think, Hungry Girl a few days ago. Of course, I forgot the pita, but I used a tortilla... and it was so good!! I think I'll make another one for tonight's dinner. That with a big ol' salad is just the ticket!

Still fighting the cravings, but, PT, I'll try visualizing those little boogers trying to attack me. I especially like the pink tutus!!

NOTHING going on here! Stay warm and safe, everyone!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #251  
South Beach P2

S/C/G: 168/160/120

Height: 5'2

Hi Everyone,

The days are getting noticeably longer here, but winter seems not to want to loose her grip. The forecast is calling for overnight freezing temps for the next couple of days. Today was a baby day which always means a busy day for me. DD just stopped by to pick her up. Now I am relaxing with a glass of wine while I read through today's posts. What a lively and interesting group we have! I think we'll rely on leftovers tonight. Or what I call "free range", lol. I've been cooking every day since committing to losing this weight. Sometimes twice a day. The funny thing is that I am totally enjoying it and not viewing it as a chore. I think that is because I'm really liking the feeling of being in control. (I'm updating this later to say that DH has put some frozen eggrolls and fishsticks in the oven. He has generously offered to share to share this delightful fare with me, but I have managed to keep a straight face as I respectfully decline. Now that I'm back at the keyboard in the study, I pray I don't snort wine through my nose! MEN! Arrrggg!)

Jess1: The Pita Pizza sounds awesome. I'll have to look for it. So glad to hear you are getting some warmer temps. BTW, I've been hungry for junk too. I need to lighten up on the Ph 1 strictness. I've added some berries to my yogurt snack mid-morning. I really think I need this because my morning workouts are pretty intense and I am not liking the faint, wiped-out feeling.
I also had a close call with some nut bingeing. Talked myself out of that one but it was the only thing remotely "junky" in the house, LOL.

Freda: Congrats on the exercise. You are one strong woman to resist Girl Scout cookies! You look beautiful at your healthy weight and are such an inspiration.

Lynn: Glad to hear your computer problems are resolved! I hope you have more good news for us regarding your knee. The Chicken Marsala sounds wonderful.

Bobbi: Thanks for sharing your Hibiscus. That's a beautiful pink color. Also, thanks for sharing the signs of a stroke. We all need that reminder. The Bone Builders sounds interesting.

Zoe: I love your enthusiasm and eccentricity. I can totally see you on the beach this summer all trim and toned and sans sarong and billowy things! For what it's worth, I have one niece and she refers to me as her "crazy Aunt Cindy" with much affection!

Isabella: What a fantastic NSV with your improved time! I do think you deserve a medal too! I love when the scale moves, but honestly, the NSVs mean more to me. I'm sporty like you and place a lot of emphasis on exercise. I think you need to give yourself a virtual medal!

I know I've missed a few friends, but I'll catch up later.

Where is Georgia??

Nite all,
Cindy
Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #252  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm here, Cindy! I've had some very full days, both emotionally and in reality. Divorce was final on Friday, so I've been intermittently weepy and wanting to throw out a lot of old stuff. Elated the lawyer bills will soon stop arriving. After I spent yesterday changing my name on credit cards and accounts, I felt ready to move on. I believe I'm done mourning.

Today was an odd day. Went to a class about an hour away, ran some errands, some young man cut in front of me and then proceeded to flip me off (I have no idea why), then later another young man who crossed the crosswalk in front of me decided to blow me a very suggestive kiss (It was wierd. Not at all convincing. He really needed more practice!) And finally, someone rear-ended my car and I'm going to need a new bumper and hatch door. Insurance is covering everything. My neck and shoulders are really sore tonight, and I have a headache and felt very queazy for a bit. Don't know what that was, my head didn't hit anything.

The sunshine has gone away in California, the wind is really blowing tonight, and it's been raining all afternoon and evening. I hope to come back tomorrow or the next day with a better outlook. I'm just glad today is at an end. I'm quite sleepy.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #253  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Good morning, Everyone,

Today, my goal is to get my tax stuff together. First step is to figure out how Quicken reports are generated. Every time I figure out how to do something with these programs, they change how to do it! Maybe this is just my week to fight with computers.

Even though I’ve not been able to do much exercise, I’ve started to lose again. I’ve been cooking and juicing with fresh fruit and veggies – ALWAYS helps me get back on track.

Check back later,

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Lynn, I didn't have to have surgery on my foot , but that was the next step. I did have to have an electrical stimulator, which, thank God, the insurance covered. At least it better have. It cost around 5000.00 dollars. I had to use it every day for 3 hours. My bone density is fine. The doctor has no idea why my bone broke. I hope you get good news from the doctor! But, since he wants to have a "talk" with you, i'm thinking that something is wrong too! I'm crossing my fingers that i'm wrong.
Hi Freda,

I will be surprised if there is a break – there is no problem putting weight on that leg. However, I won’t be surprised if there is a bone density problem – my sister has that & she and I have many of the same problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post

I made the Greek Vegetarian Pita Pizza that was on, I think, Hungry Girl a few days ago. Of course, I forgot the pita, but I used a tortilla... and it was so good!! I think I'll make another one for tonight's dinner. That with a big ol' salad is just the ticket!

Still fighting the cravings, but, PT, I'll try visualizing those little boogers trying to attack me. I especially like the pink tutus!!

NOTHING going on here! Stay warm and safe, everyone!
Hi Donna,

What is “Hungry Girl?”

About eliminating urges for food - At one point in my life, I used to like Burger King Whoppers. To get over this, I visualized VERY GROSS ingredients. The thought of one now, makes me gag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Releve View Post
Lynn: Glad to hear your computer problems are resolved! I hope you have more good news for us regarding your knee. The Chicken Marsala sounds wonderful. Cindy
Hi Cindy,

I’ll post the recipe – it includes green seedless grapes – VERY good. My DD & SIL loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
I'm here, Cindy! I've had some very full days, both emotionally and in reality. Divorce was final on Friday, so I've been intermittently weepy and wanting to throw out a lot of old stuff. Elated the lawyer bills will soon stop arriving. After I spent yesterday changing my name on credit cards and accounts, I felt ready to move on. I believe I'm done mourning.

Today was an odd day. Went to a class about an hour away, ran some errands, some young man cut in front of me and then proceeded to flip me off (I have no idea why), then later another young man who crossed the crosswalk in front of me decided to blow me a very suggestive kiss (It was wierd. Not at all convincing. He really needed more practice!) And finally, someone rear-ended my car and I'm going to need a new bumper and hatch door. Insurance is covering everything. My neck and shoulders are really sore tonight, and I have a headache and felt very queazy for a bit. Don't know what that was, my head didn't hit anything.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Hi Georgia,

There are 2 sayings that help me get through tough times – “Worse things have happened to nicer people” and “It will pass.” You are going through a VERY stressful experience. Try to treat yourself gently as you experience the ups and downs. Know that you can’t be rid of the pain quickly, but that you WILL be rid of it eventually.

In the meantime, be careful. When you are under stress, life becomes more difficult than it usually is. Accidents happen. Are you open to meditation or yoga type stuff? There is a GREAT CD called “The Present.” http://www.relaxintuit.net/tape.asp that I have found to be VERY helpful in times of stress.

Finally, about the Von Goethe quote – I think it is kind of negative. Just my 2 cents, but I think we need to be accepted as we are. From my experience, we overweight women are tough enough on ourselves. We need our friends and loved ones to accept us as we are.

I’d like to offer an alternative quote – “Those who go on telling you to amend your nature and improve upon yourself are very dangerous people. They are one of the basic causes for your not being enlightened. Nature cannot be amended; it has to be accepted. There is no way to be otherwise. Whosoever you are, whatsoever you are, that's how you are -- that's what you are. It is a great acceptance.”

Or – a shorter one with the same idea – “Grow where you are planted.”
Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #254  
Bobbi

Good Morning Girls!
I have a question for you all, anyone installed the new Windows 7 yet? My cp keeps popping up a screen to install it and I wanted to hear your input first. Should I and will it mess up some of my programs?
Freda...Yes, I winter them over. I have two Hibiscus and take them into the breezeway in the late, late summer before the nights cool down too much. They don't like extreme climate changes. Then when it really starts to get cold, I take them into the house and put in windows that have a lot of sun. I have two huge picture windows on the east and south end of our home so they get morning sun and afternoon sun. I fertizile them every time I water too, blooms just keep coming.
Quote:
Bobbi, How beautiful. Is that in your house? It wintered over? You'll have to give me your secrets. I have no luck. Freda
Jess...I have Hungry Girl on my 'favorite's list', this sounds good!
I'll check it out after I sign off. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote:
Greek Vegetarian Pita Pizza that was on, I think, Hungry Girl
Cindy...I love cooking too and it's so much easier losing weight when you can put your own low calorie ingredients in it. The big bonus is no artificial food preservative. Karen emailed me another great story of a nurse that had a heart attack and she was saying how different the signs were compared to a man. I made a copy of it but might have deleted it. I'll try to find it. Maybe you can post it Karen if you're reading this.
Quote:
I've been cooking every day since committing to losing this weight. Sometimes twice a day. The funny thing is that I am totally enjoying it and not viewing it as a chore. I think that is because I'm really liking the feeling of being in control. Also, thanks for sharing the signs of a stroke. We all need that reminder.

Georgia...Maybe he just wanted to brighten your day? Or he did it too see what kind of reaction you'd give him. What did you do?
Quote:
then later another young man who crossed the crosswalk in front of me decided to blow me a very suggestive kiss (It was wierd. Not at all convincing. He really needed more practice!)

Lynn...you always amaze me with your determination to get through the tough times. I like that quote, "Grow where you are planted."
I'm so happy that you're losing again!
Quote:
“Grow where you are planted.”
Even though I’ve not been able to do much exercise, I’ve started to lose again. I’ve been cooking and juicing with fresh fruit and veggies – ALWAYS helps me get back on track.
Zoe...I'm glad to hear you're still eating the Fiber One, the fiber in it is amazing. Everyone should have 25 grams daily, have you ever figured out how many you eat? The key to my taking weight off is at least 40 grams daily but you have to drink lots of water with that much.
I knew you were a tad eccentric by the way you post and by that first picture I saw of you. I think you were in your living room on an otterman? I saw your richly decorated living room and it seems like there was a large urn with decorative plumes in it? Anyway, the room was very dramatic and beautiful.
Quote:
Okay. I walked this morning with you-know-who, came to work, ate my yogurt with a half cup of (original) Fiber One cereal mixed into it, and am now sipping my coffee and thinking about what I have to get done Bobbi, I swear you made my day! Eccentric! That’s right! That’s how I hope to be remembered – you hit the nail right on the head with that one, girlfriend! If I’m going to get old(er), then I’m going to do it with a little panache. I LOVE it when people look twice at my plaid or striped (or geometric printed) panty hose, or remark on a scarf or big, clunky piece of jewelry or something.

Isabella...You're so funny, I do visualizations about many things, not only exercise. When I shovel snow I picture myself out shoveling away while my neighbors are amazed with my strength and determination to get through snow higer than me. HaHa, we don't have neighbors and Bruce takes the snow blower on the driveway. I do the sidewalks mostly. But building yourself up makes the time fly by and I feel so invigorated when the job is finished. Before Bruce retired 3 years ago, I really did the whole job myself.

Quote:
Anyhoo, I was totally pumped by the time I got home. Tired but excited. I could hear the crowd roaring (over-active imagination) as I neared the finish line (my back door). Just wait til I hit 60 minutes!! I'll have to have a medal struck for the occasion.
Time to get started on my day, I'm having fish for supper with fresh broccoli, yum. We don't eat near enough fish and it's so good for you, we take a fish supplement to help out with this. Oh, I'll look for that heart attack information too.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 02-24-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #255  
Bobbi

Please take the time to read this VERY important information.
NURSE'S HEART ATTACK EXPERIENCE

I am an ER nurse and this is the best description of this event that I have ever heard. Please read, pay attention, and send it on!

FEMALE HEART ATTACKS

I was aware that female heart attacks are different, but this is the best description I've ever read.

Women and heart attacks (Myocardial Infarction). Did you know that women rarely have the same dramatic symptoms that men have when experiencing heart attack .. you know, the sudden stabbing pain in the chest, the cold sweat, grabbing the chest & dropping to the floor that we see in the movies. Here is the story of one woman's experience with a heart attack.

'I had a heart attack at about 10:30 PM with NO prior exertion, NO prior emotional trauma that one would suspect might have brought it on. I was sitting all snugly & warm on a cold evening, with my purring cat in my lap, reading an interesting story my friend had sent me, and actually thinking, 'A-A-h, this is the life, all cozy and warm in my soft, cushy Lazy Boy with my feet propped up.

A moment later, I felt that awful sensation of indigestion, when you've been in a hurry and grabbed a bite of sandwich and washed it down with a dash of water, and that hurried bite seems to feel like you've swallowed a golf ball going down the esophagus in slow motion and it is most
uncomfortable. You realize you shouldn't have gulped it down so fast and needed to chew it more thoroughly and this time drink a glass of water to hasten its progress down to the stomach. This was my initial sensation---the only trouble was that I hadn't taken a bite of anything since about 5:00 p.m.

After it seemed to subside, the next sensation was like little squeezing motions that seemed to be racing up my SPINE (hind-sight, it was probably my aorta spasms), gaining speed as they continued racing up and under my sternum (breast bone, where one presses rhythmically when administering
CPR).

This fascinating process continued on into my throat and branched out into both jaws. 'AHA!! NOW I stopped puzzling about what was happening -- we all have read and/or heard about pain in the jaws being one of the signals of an MI happening, haven't we? I said aloud to myself and the cat, Dear God, I think I'm having a heart attack!

I lowered the foot rest dumping the cat from my lap, started to take a step and fell on the floor instead. I thought to myself, If this is a heart attack, I shouldn't be walking into the next room where the phone is or anywhere else ... but, on the other hand, if I don't, nobody will know that I need help, and if I wait any longer I may not be able to get up in a moment.

I pulled myself up with the arms of the chair, walked slowly into the next room and dialed the Paramedics ... I told her I thought I was having a heart attack due to the pressure building under the sternum and radiating into my jaws. I didn't feel hysterical or afraid, just stating the facts. She said she was sending the Paramedics over immediately, asked if the front door was near to me, and if so, to un-bolt the door and then lie down on the floor where they could see me when they came in.
I unlocked the door and then laid down on the floor as instructed and lost consciousness, as I don't remember the medics coming in, their examination, lifting me onto a gurney or getting me into their ambulance, or hearing the call they made to St.Jude ER on the way, but I did briefly awaken when we arrived and saw that the radiologist was already there in his surgical blues and cap, helping the medics pull my stretcher out of the ambulance. He was bending over me asking questions (probably something like 'Have you taken any medications?') but I couldn't make my mind interpret what he was saying, or form an answer, and nodded off again, not waking up until the Cardiologist and partner had already threaded the teeny angiogram balloon up my femoral artery into the aorta and into my heart where they installed 2 side by side stents to hold open my right coronary artery.
'I know it sounds like all my thinking and actions at home must have taken at least 20-30 minutes before calling the paramedics, but actually it took perhaps 4-5 minutes before the call, and both the fire station and St. Jude are only minutes away from my home, and my Cardiologist was already to go to the OR in his scrubs and get going on restarting my heart (which had stopped somewhere between my arrival and the procedure) and installing the stents.

'Why have I written all of this to you with so much detail? Because I want all of you who are so important in my life to know what I learned first hand.'
1. Be aware that something very different is happening in your body, not the usual men's symptoms, but inexplicable things happening (until my sternum and jaws got into the act). It is said that many more women than men die of their first (and last) MI because they didn't know they were having one and commonly mistake it as indigestion, take some Maalox or other anti-heartburn preparation and go to bed, hoping they'll feel better in the morning when they wake up ... which doesn't happen. My female friends, your symptoms might not be exactly like mine, so I advise you to call the Paramedics if ANYTHING is unpleasantly happening that you've not felt before. It is better to have a 'false alarm' visitation than to risk your life guessing what it might be!

2. Note that I said 'Call the Paramedics.' And if you can, take an aspirin. Ladies, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE! Do NOT try to drive yourself to the ER - you are a hazard to others on the road. Do NOT have your panicked husband who will be speeding and looking anxiously at what's happening with you instead of the road. Do NOT call your doctor -- he doesn't know where you live and if it's at night you won't reach him anyway, and if it's daytime, his assistants (or answering service) will tell you to call the Paramedics.. He doesn't carry the equipment in his car that you need to be saved! The Paramedics do, principally OXYGEN that you need ASAP. Your Dr. will be notified later.
3. Don't assume it couldn't be a heart attack because you have a normal cholesterol count. Research has discovered that acholesterol elevated reading is rarely the cause of an MI (unless it's unbelievably high and/or accompanied by high blood pressure). MIs are usually caused by long-term stress and inflammation in thebody, which dumps all sorts of deadly hormones into your system to sludge things up in there.
Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep.Let's be careful andbe aware. The more we know the better chance we could survive..
A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this mail sends it to 10 people, you can be sure that we'll saveat least one life.

Closed Thread