Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #196  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I'm really sleepy as I had a more than full day but I wanted to say the yogurt maker works beautifully. I had yogurt in 4 hours. I used reconstituted powdered skim milk and plain yogurt for the starter. I've tasted it but I won't have it until tomorrow. Bobbi, I've made yogurt on and off for years and always use the skim milk powder.

I've got to get in bed before I fall asleep and fall off the couch with the laptop crashing on top of me. Take care and I'll catch you all tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #197  

Height: 5'8"

Today we took a trip to Yreka and Mt. Shasta City. I bought a new battery for my van and had a fairly good time. We ate in the little restaurant in the Yreka health food store. Great environment, and good natural foods. Also we priced new mud/snow tires for the van. Pricey but... I'll be buying them in a week or two. We want to use the van on trips into the wilderness on the unpaved forest roads.

Bobbi - this is the first I've heard of steam mops! There's always something new. And thanks for all the reconstituted milk recipes! I had no idea you could do all that with it!

Cindy - congrats on your great new South Beach beginning...

Lynn - that's fascinating about the same-day headaches and clothing. A few years ago I worked at the local pizza and deli sandwich place part time for a while, and it was uncanny how some days there would be lots of orders for wraps, another day, lots of orders for fajitas, etc... seemed like the desire for some particular food got around through psychic communiction.

Zoe - your description of local snow reminded me of seeing Mt. Shasta earlier today. We took a day trip to Mt. Shasta City. Anyhow, while we were approching the mountain I mentally reached out and touched what looked like a lovely expanse of soft white powder, and then I realized how, if I was actually ON the mountain instead of looking at it, the snow wouldn't be powdery soft, but rather, freezingly icy and cold. ...you asked about natural SLEEP remedies... well, I usually (when I have insomnia) take some melatonin and put on my self-hypnosis weight loss recording, and that does it for me.

Jess - I'm trying to get started with yoga. I got a DVD but after one session realized I'm going to need to set up a private place in my bedroom that nobody else will touch, that will serve as my yoga place. I'll be working on that tomorrow.

Isabella - congratulations on the new yogurt maker (great deal!) and the yogurt making success!

Linda
Old 02-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

HELP!

I jammed my knee last night - stamping on floor trying to separate my fighting cats.

Very painful when I bend it.

Does anyone know of treatment for this?

Lynn
Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #199  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBThinAgain View Post
Lynn - that's fascinating about the same-day headaches and clothing. A few years ago I worked at the local pizza and deli sandwich place part time for a while, and it was uncanny how some days there would be lots of orders for wraps, another day, lots of orders for fajitas, etc... seemed like the desire for some particular food got around through psychic communiction.

Linda
Hi Linda,

Another example - when I worked at ETS (testing company that makes the SAT/GRE ...) we would have a test item that had worked fine for many administrations, then, all of a sudden, it would be in a test and people all over the country would select the same wrong answer (in the thousands). I think this is called "Synchronicity" - I'll look it up & report back.

Lynn
Old 02-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #200  
Isabella

Lynn, did you put ice on your knee? I find that helpful.

I'm up but I'm still tired and sleepy. Oh, BTW, Good morning everyone.

I'm up early because I wanted to have baked beans ready for lunch so I had to get the hard little beans boiling and softened up before they go in the oven. They're out on the stove now dancing about in the boiling water. I did have my yogurt for breakfast this morning. Very nice and mellow with blueberries, banana and a tablespoon of my granola. When I refer to "my" it just means I made the stuff. I only processed the yogurt for 4 hours because I wasn't sure how sour it would be for longer and I didn't want a batch that wasn't going to be eaten because my mouth was turning inside out from the taste.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #201  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Releve View Post
Hi Chicks!
I know that some of you are retired and I'm wondering if that was a big adjustment. DH retired from AT & T after 35 years, but felt he was still to young (54) to permanently retire. At the same time, it was agreed that I would quit working as well and be available for grand-sitting and just generally be available for my parents. Also, we wanted to have the freedom to travel, etc. without restraint. Anyway, DH bought a semi truck, formed his own company and hauls for our local oil industry. He basically sets his own hours and works when he wants to. Anyway, it's all working out great for the most part. I am just not used to having so much time on my hands! I think that is where the weight gain came in where before I was doing so well. Anyway, I am re-committing as well, as I have absouletly no excuse. I want to enjoy my retirement years to the fullest and look good doing it, LOL!Cindy
Hi Cindy,
I retired early (59) to take care of my DH who had a stroke. For the first two years, I was caring for him. When he died in 2006, I began to feel the extra time on my hands. I’ve thought about getting involved with some volunteer work, but I don’t want to be tied down to specific days/times. I travel as much as I can (while I can). I do some part time online teaching for University of Phoenix, I started a book discussion club on Meetup.com, I make scrapbooks once a week with some friends, I exercise at the gym 1-2 hours/day, and I spend a lot of time on the computer. I still haven’t really “found my groove.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
It's snowing again and the temp. is 24. Looks like we're going to be getting a little addition to the snow already on the ground. Lovely to look at, not so great to drive in. Freda
Hi Freda,
We had a little dusting this week – just enough to flock the tree branches – and it was so beautiful. Times like these I REALLY wish I were artistic. Looked like a magical world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
I am loving the (very) wide legged crop pants that I made for myself in a charcoal grey woolen tweed back at the beginning of winter, and decided to stitch up a few more – possibly to wear before this winter ends, but definitely for next winter.
I guess after I’ve been home for a bit I’ll settle in and do something about designing some bits and pieces of clothes.Z
Hi Zoe,
Your post reminds me of Project Runway. Do you watch it? I am addicted to it. Love to see the outfits they create.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post

Finished the first day of the renewed Phase I yesterday, feel great today, and am down significantly, which means WATER. . I have no problems with SB, probably because I adapt it to my likes.
Hi Donna,
I pretty much eat in a SB kind of way. Unless I’m out and there’s no choice (or I’m choosing to “do the wrong thing”), I stick to brown stuff and avoid sweets. Have you ever read the Potatoes Not Prozac books? Getting away from simple carbs is supposed to help your mood as well as your weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
After I returned home I brought in a few armfuls of wood but never chopped any. I'm off chopping. Then I heated the soup I had made earlier in the morning for our lunch. Had a nice lunch with DH and then took off for the Interfaith Goodwill Centre to help out. And what bargains I found there today. I'm sitting here with a brand new, still in the box, still wrapped in plastic, yogurt maker for which I only paid $2. It makes a litre (about a quart) in a removable container. I was hanging up a few men's shirts when I spied it sitting on a table close by. I couldn't believe my eyes. Wow. I also found a couple of tops and a nice table lamp for one of the basement bedrooms. Tomorrow I cannot look at anything unless it's too good to pass up.
Hi Isabella,
What do you do at the Goodwill Centre? I generally take my stuff to a place that benefits blind people. I never thought about volunteering there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hi everyone..i have been having a case of the "blahs" i dont feel like doing a thing.. so ive been veging reading and watching the olympics..must be cabin fever..i have not been out of the house since oct..dont want to bore u all with complaints from being handicapped so ive been lurking..tomorrow will be better rosey
Hi Rosey,
I know that we would all MUCH rather have you “complain” than just lurk. Read our posts again – we all complain. This is a place where we can share all of our feelings – good or bad.
What’s up with the surgery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBThinAgain View Post

Isabella, you asked if I'm taking art lessons... well, not exactly. I'm going through a book called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and doing the exercises. Supposedly it will make a huge difference in my ability to draw realistically.
Linda
Hi Linda,
What motivated you to take up drawing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Releve View Post
Well, I finally stopped straddling the "diet" fence and have dropped firmly back in the South Beach camp. Although I did manage to drop a few pounds these last past few weeks through daily exercise and cleaning up my eating, I realized I would do better with an "official" plan to motivate me and keep me on track. I looked around at some other options, but in the end I decided to go back to what I know works for me and has proven successful in the past. Yesterday I started Phase 1. Jess, it looks like we're on the same path. This may be silly, but I was procrastinating because I had just bought some lovely blueberries and strawberries and since fruit is not allowed on Phase 1, I knew these would go to waste. It's the old "clean your plate" mentality at work again. Anyway, I dug out my copy of the book and re-read it on Monday. I already had everything on hand, so by yesterday I was good to go! Cindy
Hi Cindy,
The thing I like best about SB is that once you cut back on the simple carbs, you stop craving them. Also, it works really well with diabetes. Maybe I’ll get out my copy and re-read.

Quote:
I'm really sleepy as I had a more than full day but I wanted to say the yogurt maker works beautifully. I had yogurt in 4 hours. I used reconstituted powdered skim milk and plain yogurt for the starter. I've tasted it but I won't have it until tomorrow. Bobbi, I've made yogurt on and off for years and always use the skim milk powder.
Hi Isabella,
Is the taste of the home-made yogurt worth the 4-hour wait time?

Quote:
Lynn, did you put ice on your knee? I find that helpful.
Hi Isabella,
I did not – will get some and put it on now. Thank you for the advice. I’ve got all kinds of things to do today and tomorrow!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #202  
Isabella

There are some repeats from the previous post I made. Technical problems.

Lynn, About the Goodwill Centre. It's an interfaith centre which means it's supported by most of the churches in town so every 6 or 7 weeks each church has a week of volunteering. That entails sorting and shelving clothing and food, serving customers, and also interviewing clients who need the services of the food bank which is also on the premises. Only board members interview and handle cash. I'm not a board member so that leaves me to sorting and shelving and helping customers find clothing. The clothing store is cash purchases for anyone but of course the food bank is free and by need. And yes, four hours was well worth waiting for the yogurt. I put it in the yogurt maker just before I went out for the afternoon and when I returned it was done.

I'm up early because I wanted to have baked beans ready for lunch so I had to get the hard little beans boiling and softened up before they go in the oven. They're out on the stove now dancing about in the boiling water. I did have my yogurt for breakfast this morning. Very nice and mellow with blueberries, banana and a tablespoon of my granola. When I refer to "my" it just means I made the stuff. I only processed the yogurt for 4 hours because I wasn't sure how sour it would be for longer and I didn't want a batch that wasn't going to be eaten because my mouth was turning inside out from the taste.

Rosey, if I'd been cabin bound since October, I'd be in a straight jacket by now. I hope you'll be able to break out soon.

Linda, I feel the same way about walking as you did about the bike. When I got out on Tuesday I felt so good to be walking again. The drawing book sounds like it will give you lots of instruction and will much more economical than lessons.

Cindy
, I would have eaten the berries, too. Can't let good food go to waste.

Bobbi, I've never hear of a steam mop, either. It sounds like a tool for DH who is always mopping up the floor. Bobbi, I love the Hillbilly Housewife site. Is that where you got all those ideas for powdered skim milk? We've been using the powdered milk now since our oldest boy the left home. Our youngest drinks soy milk as he thinks he is somewhat lactose intolerant. I wanted to stop drinking the 2% milk and bought skim. I didn't really care for the fresh skim milk as it seemed so watery so I decided to try the powdered milk again as a beverage and for cereal. I have always used it in cooking and baking and I found the recipe for sweetened condensed milk a very satisfactory replacement for the expensive canned products.

Donna, how is your day so far?

Zoe, I'm right with you on winter. Cold and frigid, sloppy and slushy, and way too many layers of clothing to keep moderately comfortable indoors and out.

Last edited by retiredone; 02-18-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #203  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
I can't believe I slept 8.5 hours last night, a record for me. (I don't require a lot of sleep) We always take a melatonin (3mg) before bedtime, works great to turn off my brain.
Zoe...Ebay is addictive and very easy. Ebay explains it better but you have to set up an account first, including your banking accounts. But it's completely safe, paypay is the best and more and more online business use it. As far as the remodeling, our daughters old bedroom is ready today. I'm moving all my church clothes and high heels back in today. I have a wicker set of dressers, chest, make-up desk with mirror going back in too. I've been applying my make-up standing at the counter upstairs and doing my hair in the bathroom, what a pain after sitting on my duff.
Quote:
Bobbi may have to give me some EBay lessons so I can cull out the ones I never wear and make a little spending (er...shopping) money on them. Bobbi, I know you'll be glad when all the work on your house is finished and you can settle in and use all your new space!
Jess...I tried the yoga that went with the Wii Fit but had a hard time with it. A couple months ago I tried doing the 'Tree Pose' and failed miserably with that. I just don't have the balance I once had, gone when my bones started to creak!
Quote:
Maybe I'll start yoga, instead. And I like the buddy idea!

Cindy...That's the brand I ended up with too, it didn't put a nice shine on the floor like the first one? I purchased two extra pads for the 1st one over the internet and the triangle pads don't fit the Shark. I can return them but decided to buy another brand that will fit the pads and keep the second mop downstairs to use on the floors.
Quote:
The brand I have is the Shark one.

Linda...I found a whole bunch of recipes using dry skim milk yesterday and printed out a bunch of them. I didn't know I could make my own evaporated canned milk either. I have a carton of dry powdered buttermilk in the freezer right now. That's handy to have on hand instead of putting vinegar or lemon juice into milk. It's usually stored by the dry skim milk in the grocery stores. That has all the butterfat in it so the calories are higher.
Quote:
Bobbi - this is the first I've heard of steam mops! There's always something new. And thanks for all the reconstituted milk recipes! I had no idea you could do all that with it!
Lynn...I agree with Isabella, you should have put ice on it immediately to take any swelling down, hope it's better today. We can't have you not running rings around me at the gym!
Isabella...your yogurt maker must run hot, I set mine at 10.5 hours so it's nice and thick. My favororite is adding 2 teaspoons of vanilla and some liquid Stevia so it's sweet. I have all sorts of Watkins extracts, right now I have peanut butter flavored yogurt. That's really yummy with a smashed fresh banana in it and topped with Fiber One.
Quote:
I only processed the yogurt for 4 hours because I wasn't sure how sour it would be for longer and I didn't want a batch that wasn't going to be eaten because my mouth was turning inside out from the taste.
Hi Freda, Karen, Rosey, who am I missing? Time to get going, I'm running late today.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #204  
Isabella

Bobbi, my yogurt maker doesn't have any settings for time or temperature. All you do is plug it in and it's a preset heat. The instruction booklet said the longer it processed the tarter or more sour it would become so that's why I started out with the recommended 4 (4-6) hours. I've never made sweetened or flavored yogurt but I may give it a try sometime.

I've got to get crackin' as I've got to go to the goodwill centre and finish making a lunch for DH to take on a bus trip tonight. Catch you later.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #205  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...

Such perky and interesting posts today! Lynn, how's the knee? Those cats think this is funny, believe me!!!

Cindy, I hope you didn't throw out your berries. That's what I like about SB. After the first time, when it is so restrictive, it seems to be okay to moderate it to your needs, and it will still work... and that means to eat the berries you have on hand, if you want them!! I'm doing great on it. I know that a lot of this loss is water, but some of it is real... and I'm excited. It's so nice to see some validation for a change! Thanks to fitday, I can control my caloric intake; as long as I don't get hungry, I can go very low cal for a while. I'm at about 1200, and that's not much, for someone my size.

PT, whassup, girlie?

Lots of stuff to do today, so I'd better get moving. Oh, the yoga I've been doing is just the stretching. I'm, um, not quite able to do any of the poses, and my balance sucks, too. Maybe someday...

Be safe and warm, everyone!
Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #206  

Morning everyone i had a bad time sleeping last night too,dh woke me up about 3am and i couldnt get back to sleep so im dragging again today..its pouring rain right now on top of all that snow yikes it must be very slippery out..thanks all for the support, when i get to feeling all cooped up i just need to get busy on a craft and count my blessings and not dwell on what i cant change now..my 1st appt to see the dr in anchorage is march 17th,its orientation,dr appt, and a seminar in the evening..it will be along day for me,a 4 hr car ride all day in anchorage and then home the same day..im excited and apprehensive at the same time..esp how i will handel all the transfers from wch to walker to car..etc and if bthrm are handicapped access etc..im happy the journey has begun..if all goes well and i get approved for the surg it will change my life dramatically..its a 6 months process..my dh's buddy is going along to help and my dd will meets us there..nice to have friends and family so willing to help..im blessed..Lynn an sry you are hurting..ive never made homemade yougart does it taste the same as youplait lite? i suppose it depends on what u add to it. hope you all have agreat day rosey
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #207  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Here I am. Stayed home again today. I slept a little bit better last night, but not as well as I would like to have. Got some Melatonin today, Bobbi - I'll be taking it tonight and keeping my fingers crossed. I'm going to need to get into work tomorrow, and I really need a good night's sleep. Oh, I know that ole' Leslie is boring, PT, but a mile with her is about the best I can do these days, so I'm sticking with her for the time being. Once I can get outside and expand my horizons a bit, it'll be more interesting. I've always wanted to try yoga, and it's right there on DH's WII fit + but I've gotta tell you, I really have a personality conflict with WII fit...that stupid robot who does all the talking just gets on my last nerve and that's the truth. Plus, DH is home all day and can play on his WII fit whenever he wants to and for however long he wants to. I don't want to get myself going with an exercise program, not have time to do it, and end up feeling guilty about it. That just wouldn't work for me. Oh, blah. I'm just venting about having to go to work tomorrow when I really don't want to. Maybe I won't. Hmmm. (But I need to; I've got stuff to get done). Oh! Congrats, PT...I'm glad that you're doing so well!
ANYHOO, Isabella, Bobbi...all of you folks who make your own yogurt, whip up everything and anything with powdered skim milk, create amazing recipes for all sorts of delicious stuff...well, wow. That's all. Just WOW. I think I'm really doing something when I roast up some veggies and throw a few shrimp on at the end. (That's the first thing that came to mind because that's what I'm making tonight for supper). I put it over some brown rice (put in pot with water and cook until done - doesn't take a rocket scientist).
Linda, I'm going to swallow a Melatonin tonight and play a white noise CD that DH got for me. If that doesn't help, I, too, have a weight loss by hypnosis tape that I'll try. I actually made it myself. I made one for smoking four years ago, listened to it, and never picked up a cigarette again. The weight loss tape didn't quite have the same effect. I guess it's because you can't just quit eating, you know? I know you're supposed to visualize how you want to look, and give yourself positive messages about wanting to eat healthy food as opposed to fattening junk, but I eat healthy food, and still have to fight to get each pound off.
Hope your knee is feeling better, Lynn. So your cats don't get along, either? I thought we had the only two cats that didn't like each other. When we got them, I was imagining adorable pictures of them curled up together...you know the kind I mean...but that sure never happened. They stay as far away from each other as they can get...and chase each other off when they get too close!
Bobbi, I think I'll give EBay a try when I get my summer clothes out in another couple of months - I know I have a lot that I've hardly worn - or worn once - and they were all washed and/or sent to the cleaner before I packed them away, so they should be in pretty good condition to list on EBay. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cindy, I am definitely not a gadget maven. Maybe DH has one of those shark things, though. I'll have to ask him. Since I still work, and he's retired, he handles most of the housework.
Rosey, I'm awfully glad that you're getting that surgery - you're right - it WILL change your life, my dear woman! You'll get it, and before you know it, you'll be out and about and logging in here just to report on your adventures! We're all rooting for you, girl!
Okay, gotta eat and put myself in sleep mode. "See" you all tomorrow!

Z
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #208  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Lynn...so sorry to hear of your bone fracture. Darn cats! Doc said you couldn't exercise for a week? You have a cast on your foot? Put your pedometer on and use that for your exercise unless you're to be off your feet completely. You can always do bar bells or stretch bands. Get well soon!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #209  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Lynn, I thought you hurt your knee... did you also hurt your foot?? And a cast??? Good grief! You can't have that; you're heighing off to Italy!!!

PT, I dug out some Richard Simmons jive tapes and bounced around with him. His moves are way too fast for me, so I use Leslie's moves with his music. Whatever works........! I think it's phenomenal that I'm off the couch and moving!

It's snowing here... probably won't amount to much. Such a weird and strange winter we've all had......

Have a lovely evening. I look forward to tomorrow's interesting posts!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #210  

Lynn so sry..i didnt see a post about a cast but bobbies post said so..please take it easy and veg out jess they have a r. simmons tape for seniors and i had trouble withthat but i luv the music on his sweating to the oldies..i made apot of 15 bean soup today with vegies garlic tomtoes and lean no fat moose polish sausage..my dh said it was awsome..getting ready to watch the olympics womens half pipe tonite and mens freestyle fig skating..luv to watch those physically fit bodies in tight costumes spinning about ok no harm in looking right girls..(((hugs))) rosey
Closed Thread