Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~February Golden Girls~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...

We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #2  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

It looks like I'm the first one on this site!

I've changed everything, the squiggly, the avatar, the message, everything.... I hope you won't recognize me in March! That's my goal for this month!

Happy Birthday to Sue (Institches) and Giovanna! Hope your day is wonderful!!

Happy February, Everyone!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg My space two cakes.jpeg (3.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by jess1; 02-01-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'll sneak in at 2nd, behind Jess. Technically not February (in California) for another hour or so.

Today was my first day at Atkins-like induction. I did not succeed at keeping carbs under 20 gm. But I did keep it under 30. I amazed myself! I wasn't really hungry all day, but in the late afternoon, I had tremendous visions of a mountain of whole wheat spaghetti, well-seasoned with butter and parmesan. It was a real effort not to go downstairs to make it for myself. I ended up eating a can of tuna on lettuce, plus a Wasa Lite cracker.

I walked some today, not a lot. Wasn't really feeling like exercise. I just had a lovely time with my 12-year-old son, snuggled up in bed with me, telling him stories about what my life was like when I was a little girl living in our hometown. That did my heart a lot of good.

Time for bed. Looking forward to a good eight hours of pillow time. Chat with you tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #4  
Bobbi

Morning all,
I have a migraine headache and only going to say hi everyone. I purchased a Memory foam mattress pad for my bed and they told us to let it air out for 24 hours because of the chemical smell once it's out of the package. Phewwwww! I let it air out for two days, put it on the bed last night. Woke up with a headache from Hade. (It was expensive too.) I could take it back for a refund, but it was heavenly to sleep on. DH said we should put it outside for a couple of days to see if that helps. Anyone have problems with this?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #5  
Bobbi

Happy Birthday to Sue and Giovanna!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

So I guess keeping carbs below 30 gm works as well, because I lost 4 lb overnight. I tend to weigh myself everyday, not because I'm obsessed with the numbers, but because it helps me stay on track and stay honest with myself. I hit my low of 305 lbs. in August, but soon popped back up to 325 after the holidays. I managed to muscle my way back to 320 a couple weeks ago, but have been only flirting with 318 ever since. So this is my first day past 318 in a long time.

Well before the holidays I had set a goal for myself to break 300 by my birthday, which is Friday. Obviously that's not happening this week. I'm fine with that. I had some big emotional setbacks, but I'm back on track.

So, we'll see how Day Two of Induction week goes. No visions of spaghetti mountains this morning, but my older son Quinn wants hash brown potatoes for breakfast. Can I cook them and not taste them?

Have a great day!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #7  
Donna

Good Morning, All...

Georgia, I can SO empathize! Good luck to you!

Lots to do today, but, Zoe, I WILL fit in some Sansone time! For the 80th time since I started posting here, I'm motivated again!!

Safe and warm, Everyone!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Happy Birthday Sue and Giovanna

geoblewis-- on the 4 pound loss!! Doesn't it feel great? I started Crack the Fat Loss Code on the 18 of January and I've lost 12 pounds so far as of this morning. I don't do a formal weigh in until Friday but I like to weigh everyday---for some reason it helps keep me on track. I have meal planners that go with this way of eating and they really help. If you don't have the book, I would definitely get it----lots of good info. in it.

Bobbi, sorry about your headache...hope you feel better soon.

Jess & Zoe, I love WATP's too. I have like 6 different DVD's of hers... Guess I need to put them in the DVD player to get the workout huh? I used to do the 4 mile one before I got so off track, time to start again. I will probably throw in some Sweatin' to the Oldies too.

Need to get busy here. I think we may get some sunshine and melt some of this snow away. We've got about 4 inches out there but it is so much better than when we lived in the mountains in Colorado...another 2 months and we can take the cover off the pool and let the water start warming up. Can you tell I am anxious to be able to use the pool? Never had one before and since I had it all re-done and then just put a cover on it-----I can hardly wait.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #9  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Good morning, and Happy February to all!!! AND a special Happy Birthday to Sue & Giovanna!
I didn't walk with Leslie over the weekend, but got right back on the proverbial wagon this morning. Still just ONE mile, but one mile is better than NO miles, so I'm okay with it, at least for the time being. I'm glad you're doing it too, Donna...it really does help to have some company, eh?
Well, Bobbi, I hope you get rid of that headache quickly. Ugh. I hope once that mattress pad airs out some, you'll be able to use it, because they ARE super comfortable. I didn't have any odor problem with mine, tho... You're right about the expense, too...VERY pricey for a mattress PAD, so you sure as heck need to be able to use it, right?
Good job with taking off those pounds, Karen, and YES, it feels really good, doesn't it? I can't do the fat smash thingie, though. I don't think I'll ever do low-carbs again. It's way too limiting for me, especially now that I've discovered how much I enjoy fresh fruit and all kinds of vegetables...in fact, my inclination would be towards a vegetarian lifestyle before I would go back to consuming mostly protein. I guess I'll stick with the calorie counting right along with Bobbi....I never used to like it, but now I really do. Funny, isn't it, how one thing will work for one and something else for another? It would be SO much easier if there were a one size-fits-all kind of weight loss plan, wouldn't it?
Hello again, Georgia. Hang in there...I think the longer we do something, whatever it is, the easier it gets to do it. It becomes more of a habit once we've been at it for awhile. Nice to have that kind of bonding time with your kids, isn't it? I miss having mine at home, and the youngest is 29 this year. I guess you never really get completely used to them being grown and on their own, so you just enjoy those kiddos of yours while you have them this young!
How are you doing today, Lynn? Is the eyesight any better?
Hi Isabella, Freda, Rosey, Deena...everybody...I'm off to have my tuna fish & pita pocket for lunch.

Z
Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #10  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Good afternoon ladies and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Sue & Giovanna. My wish is that you may eat cake and not gain a gram.

I had a great walk this morning. I dragged my body out of bed at 7:20 and made up the bed immediately so I wouldn't get back in. I was on the road by 7:40 and was glad I did go out early. Although it was really cold there was no wind and I made great time going round my loop. When I got home I made dinner early (vegetable curry and brown rice) so I'd only have to heat it up at lunch time. (We have dinner at lunch for those of you who don't know or have forgotten.) Then I did a little cleaning in DS's bedroom as it has been 7 months since he married and it's about time I got that room cleaned up. DH wants to paint the room so he'll be pleased that I've got all my stuff picked up. Yes, most of the things on the floor are mine that I moved in there cleaning up after the wedding. I'm such a procrastinator until the pressure is on. I'm going to use the room as a guest/sewing/ironing room. DH asked me last night if anyone ever ironed any more. Poor dear is not used to seeing me use an iron.

Bobbi
, hope that headache has cleared up by now. I was going to suggest you put the cover outside for a few days but your DH beat me to the punch.

Well, Donna, as ever your avatar is one to have a look at. Wasn't sure who is was for a few seconds.

Karen, I'm coming to visit you in 2 months time. I'll be still skating on frozen ponds and I'd like to have a swim instead.

Georgia and all you low carbers out there, I don't think I could survive on a low carb diet. I suppose eating a vegetarian diet has something to do with that but I love my carbs. Anyway, good luck with the diet and congrats on the 4 pound drop.

Zoe, you're starting to sound like the rest of us exercisers. You know you're doing pretty good if you can skip a day or two and still can talk about what you'll do in the coming week. You'll be up to 2 miles before you can blink.

Lynn, how is the eye this morning? Hope the vision is clearing up.

I think I'll go work on DS's bedroom for another few mintues. There's not much left to do. My wedding dress is in there and I'm tempted to try it on and see if it fits me. Now, if it does fit, will I wear it to supper tonight.

Catch you all later.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #11  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Sue and giovanna.

Retire, For sure, wear that wedding gown to dinner. And post a picture, please! After you pick your husband up off the floor!

Lynn, How are you doing? I hope you and DD are doing better.

Karen, put me on your list of visitors, when you get that pool open. And congratulations on the weight loss. You seem to have found just the diet you needed.

Z, You are definateally turning into a convert! When you see how much better you feel and LOOK you will agree that exercising is just so worth it. And after awhile your body actually craves exercise and lets you know when you don't. Like you, I could never limit my carbs enough to do any other diet. I count calories and it works for me. I do try to get good carbs though.

Jess, That's why I come here too, for the motivation.

Geoblewis, It's great that you found a diet that is working so good for you. Some times it takes awhile to do. And congratulations on the weight you've lost.

Bobbi, I hope you're feeling better. Migraines are Terrible, I used to get them often. thankfully, none in a long time. I did get a script for them that helped so much. What do you take?

Everyone, make it a good day.

Freda
Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #12  
Renaissance Woman

Isabella, I don't know how a vegetarian would go about going low-carb. It would be tough. My sister tries to be a vegetarian, except that she can't seem to get a single vegetable past her nose. So does that count?

By the way, for your DS's poll, both my irons and the ironing board are merely decorative sculptures, in my closet.

Thank you everyone for the lovely welcome. And many happy wishes for the birthday girls today. I hope your day is full of joy and peace.

Karen, I bought Crack the Fat Loss Code last week, online, so I'm waiting for it to arrive. I found some info online about the diet, so I thought I'd get a jump on it. While I strongly desire breaking the 300lb barrier, I'm not going to mentally make that a goal for now. My goal is merely to get carbs down to 20 gms. It's so difficult, because I really love vegetables, a lot of veggies, and the quantities of veggies that I want to eat puts my carbs over that limit. By just a little. Do you think going over the carb limit by just 10 gm (or less) would be a detriment to the process? Maybe I'll stick with 30 gm of carbs until the book arrives...

I just looked up the carb content of spaghetti. (Eight minutes past noon and the carb cravings are popping up again.) *sigh* I'm going to attack a plate of tuna on arugula in a few minutes. I might get rambunctious and add some olives!

Jess, all I can say is that for me, every moment of every single day is an opportunity to start over. I am consistently human, and that's about it!

Ciao bellezze!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #13  
Donna

Good morning again... (well, afternoon!)...
Isabella, some day I'm going to guts up and put my actual picture as avatar. I, um, do NOT like the way I look and tend to avoid pictures whenever possible. This is a pretty accepting group, though...

I hope Sue (Institches) and Giovanna sign in and see their birthday wishes!

I'm always so interested in these low carb diets and the fact that anyone can actually DO them! Oh, my, they are NOT good for me! My body just shuts down. I'm hypoglycemic, though, and I'm sure that's part of it. Counting calories WITH the motivation works; unfortunately, they are not mutually exclusive!

LOVELY day today! Good day to be outside...

I'm cooking. Today is Russian Beef and Cabbage Stew, smells wonderful!!

Safe and warm, all......
Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Drove about 40 miles round-trip to get my car’s GPS updated & when I got to my dealer, they couldn’t find my disc. Will have to go back next week.

On the way home, stopped at a coffee and cheese shop and picked up some provolone and chianti spread (we will be visiting the Chianti area of Italy on our trip) for tomorrow night. My DD and SIL are coming to my house to watch LOST. I just watched the last 2 episodes from last season – either I missed them or they were just too confusing.

Tomorrow morning I’m getting my hair cut & then meeting one of my book club friends to help her with her family tree research.

Check back tomorrow,

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
It looks like I'm the first one on this site!
I've changed everything, the squiggly, the avatar, the message, everything.... I hope you won't recognize me in March! That's my goal for this month!
Happy Birthday to Sue (Institches) and Giovanna! Hope your day is wonderful!!
Happy February, Everyone!!
Hi Donna, Happy February to you also. When are we going to see a photo of the “Real You?”

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
I'll sneak in at 2nd, behind Jess. Technically not February (in California) for another hour or so.
Today was my first day at Atkins-like induction. I did not succeed at keeping carbs under 20 gm. But I did keep it under 30. I amazed myself! I wasn't really hungry all day, but in the late afternoon, I had tremendous visions of a mountain of whole wheat spaghetti, well-seasoned with butter and parmesan. It was a real effort not to go downstairs to make it for myself. I ended up eating a can of tuna on lettuce, plus a Wasa Lite cracker.
Time for bed. Looking forward to a good eight hours of pillow time. Chat with you tomorrow.
Hi Geo,
Do you know about Miracle Noodles? They have no carbs and no calories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Morning all,
I have a migraine headache and only going to say hi everyone. I purchased a Memory foam mattress pad for my bed and they told us to let it air out for 24 hours because of the chemical smell once it's out of the package. Phewwwww! I let it air out for two days, put it on the bed last night. Woke up with a headache from Hade. (It was expensive too.) I could take it back for a refund, but it was heavenly to sleep on. DH said we should put it outside for a couple of days to see if that helps. Anyone have problems with this?
Hi Bobbi,
Whenever I get new stuff – especially bedding or carpetin, I have allergy problems. I think it is related to the chemicals they use to make it flame-resistant. Just goes away in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
I started Crack the Fat Loss Code on the 18 of January and I've lost 12 pounds so far as of this morning. I don't do a formal weigh in until Friday but I like to weigh everyday---for some reason it helps keep me on track. I have meal planners that go with this way of eating and they really help. If you don't have the book, I would definitely get it----lots of good info. in it.
Have a great day everyone.
Hi Karen,
I lost 5 lbs the first week & then, went off the diet. I just HATE eating low-carb. CONGRATULATIONS on your loss – that is FANTASTIC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Good job with taking off those pounds, Karen, and YES, it feels really good, doesn't it? I can't do the fat smash thingie, though. I don't think I'll ever do low-carbs again. It's way too limiting for me, especially now that I've discovered how much I enjoy fresh fruit and all kinds of vegetables...in fact, my inclination would be towards a vegetarian lifestyle before I would go back to consuming mostly protein. I guess I'll stick with the calorie counting right along with Bobbi....I never used to like it, but now I really do. Funny, isn't it, how one thing will work for one and something else for another? It would be SO much easier if there were a one size-fits-all kind of weight loss plan, wouldn't it?
How are you doing today, Lynn? Is the eyesight any better?
Z
Hi Zoe,
Second eye is still blurry. First eye is great. DD had a rough night – I think she still has a couple of more painful days/nights.
Good for you with your exercising! About the low-carb dieting. Ever since I found out that I have type 2 Diabetes, I have reduced the carbs in my diet – especially white stuff. However, taking them down to 20g/day was WAY too restricting for me – even for just a week. I think I’m past the point in my life where I’m willing to do just about anything to lose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Georgia and all you low carbers out there, I don't think I could survive on a low carb diet. I suppose eating a vegetarian diet has something to do with that but I love my carbs. Anyway, good luck with the diet and congrats on the 4 pound drop. Catch you all later.
Hi Isabella,
I am not totally vegetarian, but I do not eat meat/fish everyday. I actually prefer vegetables and grains. Probably one of the reasons I found the VERY low-carb diet so unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
When you see how much better you feel and LOOK you will agree that exercising is just so worth it. And after awhile your body actually craves exercise and lets you know when you don't. Like you, I could never limit my carbs enough to do any other diet. I count calories and it works for me. I do try to get good carbs though.
Freda
Hi Freda,
I’m with you about the exercising. My aches and pains get terrible when I miss my workouts.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #15  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Bobbi ~ I have a memory foam pillow ~ it had a strong smell at first but it eventually went away. Don't remember how long it took ~ it was worth the wait though ~ is very comfortable.
Closed Thread