Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #16  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Made it to the hotel where I'm spending the night before my divorce settlement hearing. I stopped for dinner at Carl's Jr. and ordered the Low-Carb Six Dollar burger...and then I saw the zucchini on the menu. The fried zucchini. Impulse decision! I ate them before I could let my frontal lobes talk my mammalian brain out of giving them up. When I got to the hotel room, I looked them up on Calorie Count...31 carbs! I effectively doubled my carb intake!

Knowledge is power. Not doing that again!

I'm feeling okay, waiting for the settlement hearing. Last month, I might have curled up in the bed in this room and cried, feeling sorry for myself, but today, everything looks more like an opportunity than a regret. Am I starting to accept this divorce? I must be, because I don't feel like going out for another round of burgers, complete with fries and a shake, or two. I feel satieted after the burger, I have a bottle of water, and I'm good to go.

Lynn, I am all over those Miracle Noodles! Thanks for the referral!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #17  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all

Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with everyone's doings. My off time has been taken up baby sitting the grandkids while my daughter, her husband and my husband work on getting the house they were renting out ready to sell. They have been working feverishly painting and cleaning and making repairs. They have some more to do but are closer to being done now. I hope for them it sells quickly so they can be done with it.

Soon, I will have more time to do things and keep up with stuff. An exciting new phase of my life begins tomorrow. I had been wanting to find a different job ~ a day shift job. I have worked the night shift for 30+ years and it was starging to affect my health. I haven't been able to sleep well was always tired and just plain didn't feel good. It seemed as if everytime I turned around I had developed another health problem ~ the latest ~ prediabetes.

I am a nurse and am sort of burned out ~ it is not the same as when I began. Seems so much more stressful now. Parts of it make it not as enjoyable anymore. Over the months I had applied for different jobs, but they never worked out. Maybe it was God's way of closing a door so I could get what was His perfect job for me. An opportunity came along ~ an opening on my unit for the position of the Unit Secretary ~ I applied and got it.

I will be working every Saturday and Sunday 7am-11pm. I will have my week done in two days. It is enough hours to still be able to get my health insurance. I will miss that I can't get to go to church and that I can't do the spur of the moment stuff on weekends with my family. But the pluses outweigh the minuses. I will be able to sleep every night, I will be able to start to feel better. I will be able to do the things I know I need to do for my health (but have been too tired to do) ~ try harder to make better food choices and exercise. I will be able to tackle the stuff around the house that I have been wanting to do.

I know I can do it. About 10 years ago, I was working the 3pm-11pm shift ~ I walked every day and did good with my calorie counting ~ I lost 40 pounds.

I am so excited ~ feel like there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel

Hope things are going well for you all.

Take care
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #18  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Gayle, that's so exciting about your new job! About not getting to church. Does your church have a mid week prayer meeting that you could attend?

Georgia, I hope everything went well today. I don't know if I could resist the zucchini or something else I really liked if I was in your situation.

I was out walking again today. It's not fit for a penguin out there, it's so cold. But I got out early before the wind started blowing so I walked in the real temperature instead of the windchill factored into the game. The wind is up now and it feels so much colder than this morning....brrrrr. It was -17.7 degrees C (0.4 F) this morning. Of course I'm dressed for the weather and actually had to remove my gloves and hat for a while as I was so hot. My hat had a ring of frost around it so I must have been letting off lots of steam this morning.

It's pea soup today. It's a good day for soup, too with the cold temperatures. I'm just waiting for DH to get home so we can eat together. I'm making tomato, lettuce and avocado sandwiches in whole wheat pita halves instead of the usual dumplings that I would normally put in the soup. I felt like sandwiches today.

Have a good day people.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #19  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All!

Isabella, did you wear the wedding dress to supper??????????? I LOVE that!!
Gayle, congrats on your new job! And Georgia, hang in there, girlie! This, too, will pass, and you won't have to share your bathroom any more!

Zoe, even Sansone HURTS. I'm determined to get through the tape today, just not all at one time. I can't imagine what it would be like to not hurt all the time! I'm going to be a very cranky 110-year-old, I'll bet!

Lynn, how's the eye? And is DD doing better? Good thoughts...

Everyone, have a lovely Tuesday! Safe and warm, Everyone!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #20  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Donna, I forgot the wedding dress. But if I ever do wear it I'll all let you know.

What I forgot to say was Happy Groundhog Day! 6 more weeks of winter by the groundhog's predictions. I'll be lucky if there isn't 16 more weeks here.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #21  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oh, Isabella! I LOVE avocados with tomatoes in sandwiches!!!!! I make what I have dubbed "The California sammich" with sliced tomato, sliced avocado, sliced turkey (I know you're a vegetarian, so this wouldn't work for you ) bean sprouts, red onion and lite Miracle Whip on a real crusty, grainy oaty/wheaty/flaxy bread that they have at a local bakery. The bread is more calories and carbs than we need, so I don't make these too often, but, oh, they are SO yummy! (Oh! Did you wear your wedding dress to dinner???)
"I think I’m past the point in my life where I’m willing to do just about anything to lose weight." - Lynn, Yep. That's where I am, as well. Healthy, low calorie, low fat, veggie and fiber-heavy, and some reasonable amounts of exercise is about it for me. I can't jump on the new breakthrough diets at all...just lumber along, losing slowly and (somewhat) steadily, and aim for an (eventually) slim and active old age. I have to admit that the eating in my case isn't as difficult to keep up with as the exercise. That article that you posted really gave me a good kick right where it was most needed. I'm trying, now...walked again this morning with friend Leslie, and plan to continue 5 days a week and give myself a little break on the weekends. Maybe I'll even get up to a couple of miles or more, but I'm happy right now that I'm doing one. Oh, Lord...what a long, drawn-out treatment your poor daughter is experiencing, and so painful! I know it must be so hard on you just trying to give her some comfort and wishing you could make it all stop. SO hard when it's your child.
Freda! SO great to see you back posting! Missed you, girlfriend! I did those darned low carbs for 13 years after my son was born, stayed nice and slim, too, but must've eaten a couple of tons of red meat all by myself during those 13 years. Now, I can't tolerate red meat, and even chicken, turkey and fish go a long way with me - I don't care to eat too much of them at any one time. I'm loving all those fruits and veggies that I missed when I was doing extremely low carb. Back when I did it, Atkins didn't start with 20 grams a day - it started with 1 or 2 grams, if I remember right. And I kept mostly under 20 grams for 13 years!!!
Georgia, you WILL get through this, and once you do, you'll feel a great weight off your shoulders, trust me. You can settle yourself down to becoming the person YOU want to be. I used to tell people whom I hadn't seen for a while that I'd just lost 250 pounds of ugly fat - they'd say, "Omigosh! I never knew you'd gotten that heavy!" And I would say, "I didn't. I divorced my husband!" Okay, sounds a bit crass, I know, but the truth is that we do NOT need to be with men who don't value us, and the women who stay with men who don't value them simply don't value THEMSELVES highly enough. I did, you do, and now you can use your freedom to recreate yourself the way you want yourself to be: not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. It's an amazing journey, and you are surely young enough to enjoy it. (I was and I did).
Omigosh! Congrats on the new job, Gayle! That sounds just about perfect for you! Having 5 days a week off sure makes working two days of double shifts worth every minute of it!
Where's Bobbi??? Bobbi, are you okay? This isn't like you! Check in, please, so we won't worry!
Sorry about missing some folks, but I have to do some work...have a great day, all!

Z
Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #22  
Ellabella

Ooops, Donna...we were posting simultaneously, I guess! Which tape of Leslie's are you using? I use like the most basic of them all, and only do one mile! Are you trying to do too much? The one I have just has the side-steps, knee lifts, kicks and a few upper body ones where you raise your arms up while you're walking. Nothing too strenuous. Don't try to overdo, okay? You and I have to take these things gradually, not being the intrepid exercisers that some of our sisters are here on GG.
Have a great day,

Z
Old 02-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #23  

Height: 5'1"

Hi All,

Darn that groundhog!!! I didn't want 6 more weeks of winter.

Gail, I am so excited for you! I know the delima you've been in for some time now. I work every other weekend now, and I do miss going to Church on my work days. But you can go to Church other times. I think God worked on this for you and he will surely understand!

Goergia, I'm proud of you. You did so well in a stressful situtation. It's about getting through it, one day, hour at a time. You are strong and you will do great!

Isabella, your menu's always sound so inviting. Love pea soup, and so healthy.

Donna, One of the reasons I exercise and eat right is: my family lives to very ripe old ages. If i'm going to live that long (hope, hope) I want to be the best I can be. And the healthier you are the less aches and pains.

Freda
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #24  
Donna

I ran across this link, and it's well worth listening to... available today ONLY...

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/Nutritio...0202-_-na-_-na

I hope the link works! More later.......

Last edited by jess1; 02-02-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning to everyone! YUCK--- the dumb groundhog says six more weeks of Winter!!! I could sure stand to see a little sunshine around here! It has started to warm up but is still gray and dull.

Gayle, so glad that you have found the new job. I know how long you have been looking for something different. I knwo our church here has Wednesday evening services-- maybe you can check and see about that. In these days there are so many families that do work weekends that they have started more services. Anyway, it sounds like you will have more time for you and the grandchildren now.

Well, I got a late start here this morning (slept in until 9:00am) I never do that!! So I need to get busy and get moving on the house. Need to straighten my house up before I go and clean my brothers tomorrow.

Glad that everyone is doing good. Isabella-- I don't know how you get up and go outside to walk when it is that cold! KUDOS to you. I just can't do that. It is 36 here right now and I wouldn't want to walk outside.

Zoe and jess--glad that you are enjoying the WATP's DVD's. I really did enjoy doing them and found they work really well. I have the belt that went with one of them that I bought and that gives you a little more oomph to the walk. Love it.

Bobbi, I hope you are feeling better and go rid of that nasty headache! Hope to hear from you soon.

Well, better get busy...I can't believe it is already time for lunch!!!

Have a grat day!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #26  
Donna

Regarding the link, it's good until March 2... and it's well worth listening to!

Zoe, I'm using the 1 mile tape. I have LOTS more pounds to lug around than you do, and I know that's why it hurts. That and arthritis... old age is just FUN, dontcha think? Freda, I'm working on it... and my family lives forever. Aunty Ann is a feisty and vibrant 95! I probably WILL last to 110 (bets on Social Security still being available???)

Listen to the link!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #27  
Ellabella

Hey, Donna - note that it's been some time since I first started here on 3FC. My weight has dropped VERY gradually, and yours will come off, too - and along with it, some of those aches. Not that I don't have any - I do for sure. My back gets achey a lot, and I used to have an awful time with one of my legs - couldn't stand still for very long periods of time at all - it would go numb. Really weird. And if it's possible to imagine something being numb - can't feel it touching the floor, but still hurting - that's how it would get. Couldn't walk around shopping for clothes, looking at things, but COULD walk at a rapid pace with no problem. It also would ache when I was laying in bed at night. Now, knock on wood, that hasn't happened for quite awhile. In fact, I can't remember exactly when the last time was. I think taking off some weight has helped a lot. You and I are going to be stringy old ladies. You'll see. I mean, if you can't trust ole' Leslie Sansone, who CAN you trust, right?

Z
Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!

Uh-oh - MORE WINTER!!!!!

Cold and dreary here. Got my hair cut - met my friend for lunch/genealogy. Looking forward to LOST tonight with my DD & SIL.

Have NO phone service at home (still have my cell phone). BIG mix-up between Comcast and Verizon. Won't get phone back until Monday. Spent 2 hours trying to straighten it out.

Lynn
Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #29  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I'm still here but with a headache hangover. Anyone that has migraines can understand what that is. The pain is gone but the insides of my head feels weird and sore.
The carpenters are here today, Charlie is going crazy. The crew will be here for 3 days, fir on one wall, cedar ceiling and all outside walls insulated and dry walled in the basement. The constant drilling and power saw is driving me crazy too. I took a migraine pill before bed last night so I wouldn't wake up with another headache. That worked, no headache this morning. The smell chemical smell in the mattress pad wasn't as bad last night (memory foam pad). Thanks everyone for caring.
Georgia…I did a double take when I read about your 12 year old son. I thought you meant grandson but checked out your public bio and see you’re still a youngster.
Quote:
I just had a lovely time with my 12-year-old son, snuggled up in bed with me, telling him stories about what my life was like when I was a little girl living in our hometown.
.Knowledge is power. Not doing that again! Good Advice Georgia!
Karen…I'm going to plan a House Warming party at your house in the spring, we're all coming over and jumping in the pool.
Quote:
another 2 months and we can take the cover off the pool and let the water start warming up. Can you tell I am anxious to be able to use the pool?
Zoe…I love calories counting, unfortunately I'm pigging out right now. Made a lemon cake with the lemon jello poked thru it and lemon pudding and cool whip mixed together for the topping. It's for the carpenters working downstairs, ya right!
Quote:
I guess I'll stick with the calorie counting right along with Bobbi....I never used to like it, but now I really do.Where's Bobbi??? Bobbi, are you okay? This isn't like you! Check in, please, so we won't worry!
Isabella…Good idea, I made chili for supper, added lots of celery so it wasn't so fattening. Not that it matters after all the cake I ate plus the chocolate peanut butter cookies I made for the carpenters. Ya, right again.
Quote:
DH asked me last night if anyone ever ironed any more. Poor dear is not used to seeing me use an iron. It's pea soup today. It's a good day for soup, too with the cold temperatures.

Jess..So what's Russian beef?
Quote:
Today is Russian Beef and Cabbage Stew, smells wonderful!!

Lynn…I can't stand strong odors of any kind, especially perfume. Instant headache!
Quote:
Whenever I get new stuff – especially bedding or carpetin, I have allergy problems. I think it is related to the chemicals they use to make it flame-resistant. Just goes away in time.

Glynne… I have the memory pillow too but never had problems with it like the pad. Congrats on your new job, how wonderful to sleep like a normal person. Once you re-train your sleep pattern, you'll feel so much better and hopefully more rested.
Quote:
Bobbi ~ I have a memory foam pillow ~ it had a strong smell at first but it eventually went away. Don't remember how long it took ~ it was worth the wait though ~ is very comfortable. I am so excited ~ feel like there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel

Freda…I have to agree with you on that tip Freda, my grandfather was 102, aunt 103 and my dad is still hanging in there at 97 and very healthy. I just hope alzheimers don't get me.
Quote:
One of the reasons I exercise and eat right is: my family lives to very ripe old ages. If i'm going to live that long (hope, hope) I want to be the best I can be. And the healthier you are the less aches and pains.

Hi to anyone I missed, too many post already to catch up. Gosh, I haven't exercised yet today. I better get off my butt and get it done, I missed yesterday.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Wow, Thank You all for the Birthday Wishes, actually went out to dinner with DH on Sunday, and my nephew made me a cupcake, so I did splurge but didn't have to worry about getting rid of a whole cake.

Bobbi-hope the headache is better, and your mattress pad is ready to use very soon.

Lynn-Sounds like a wonderful night, my youngest son love Lost, I'm at work, so never got a chance to watch.

A Big Hi to everyone-hope things are going well for you!
Closed Thread