Quilters, Crafters, and Chatters for Weight Loss

You're on Page 2 of 9
Go to
  • Good morning,

Penguin
    - what type bulbs did you plant? I meant to get out more tulips, but think my window of opportunity has passed. I've seen kettle bells, but haven't used them. Actually, I recently ordered and received Kathy Smith's weights DVD, but haven't used it yet. My bad. How was dinner with your folks last night?

Trish - bravo for losing that sneaky pound. I've got 2 sneaky pounds to get rid of myself this week. How's Tony? Not coming down with anything, I hope.

Institches - question - do you think the movie A Christmas Carol would be too scary for boys 9 and 7. Well, I think the 9 y/o would be fine, but I'm a little worried about the 7 y/o. Our two oldest DGSs will be here this weekend, and I wondered about taking them to see it. YAY for you, passing up the cheddar biscuit!

MBN - your success is impressive and encouraging. Kudos to your DH for placing 1st in the race! I remember when each of my 3 kids got their learner's permit. Yikes! Scary stuff, indeed, lol.

Kris - wow, I love the yoga mat bag! You did a great job on it! Aww, it is real sweet of your DH to hold it while you snapped the photo. Love the yarn, too. Bravo to you for exercising portion control on the ice cream bar! Like Penguin, I had to laugh at your name for the scales, lol.

Dee - There are several posters here that are under 50, but that's fine with us! Your baby is adorable, and so are the projects you've done. I used to make wreathes galore and sell them in my craft shop. Girls' hair barrettes were my biggest seller, though.

Linda - how's your week going?

My project of the day isn't very crafty, lol, but I need to do laundry and wash rugs. Sometime soon, I want to sort through family photos for scrapbooking. I have the habit of making doubles of any photo I think could possibly make a nice scrapbook page, but in reality, I'll only use a fraction of them.

Weight-wise, I'm trying to take off what I gained last week.

Have a good day.
  • Morning all! I'm not usually up this early today. I went to bed last night with a headache which quickly turned into a nauseus migraine. Mostly my head just hurts but this time I had the added bonus of a stomach ache; my digestive system shurs down with the migraine. I'm feeling much better now, but I was up until 2:30 {laying down made the whole thing worse...}. I can always go back to bed later if I need to.

Good news I'm down a lb! I was surprised to find last night that I was serveral hundred calories short of my normal range?? I felt full and didn't feel deprived.

Jane, We went to J. Alexander's which is a place Hubby and I are nornally 'to cheap' to go, LOL. I gave her a notebook style calender, which is what I get her every year, she doesn't even have to ask anymore. Dad and Hubby spent the night talking about Dad's Mustang restoration project {yawn!] so Mom and I leaned close and talked about interesting things. Dad and Hubby also made a playdate for Sat, so Mom and I will do something interesting also, and probably end up at Panera's and a movie. I weeded the front bed of grass, and planted pansies. I have two plastic boxes that hang off the iron rails of the porch, and then I planted some more in the front bed. The fron of our small house is full sun so I don't do a lot out there I do more in the dappled shade of the backyard. Mostly hostas and azaleas.

MBN, I've tried filet several times in the past, but finally 'got' it this past month. I understoood the concept but couldn't get it right in the real project. Your bookmark ideas sounds like a good one! I have a few snowflakes I made for the tree, but we haven't put the tree up for the past few years. Space issues and laziness.
  • Thanks for the welcome all!

Jane- not the one you asked, but I took my 3 to Christmas Carol, and it was only a lil bit scary in a spot or two.. my youngest are 6 and 7. I would recommend not to do IMAX experience with it though, really really LOUD. oh, and the baby is a friend of mine's, although she is a doll and I'd take her, lol.

Dee
  • Hi Everyone,

I don't think I got by here yesterday so wanted to make a quick flyby to say I'm still here.

Dee We are glad to have you here. Those are very nice quilts. Did you do the bow on the wreat as well. My babysister and I took a class to make bows years ago. I don't know if I could do one now or not. Enjoyed making them back then. I too wondered if the baby was yours. We are glad to have you here.

KrisR I love those colors. I used to love those multicolors for baby blankets. Good job on the "wise" choices. Makes you feel good doesn't it? Proud of you.

Penguin Yea and Congratulations on the lb loss.

MBN How wonderful that you and DH are so active. I used to chrochet afghans for kids, grandkids, and family etc. Now I too like the easier things I can do watching television.

Institches Great making your NSV. I have to watch salt myself.

Jane Tony seems to be feeling better today. Thanks for asking. Good luck on getting rid of those 2 pesky lbs and have fund doing your scrapbook.

I tried to do a quick catch up so hope I got everyone. If I missed anyone, it was strictly by accident.

Y'all have a good evening.
  • Okay, I did Kettlebell Bootcamp DVD. Since I don't actually have a kbl yet, I had a variety of things lined up to 'stand-in'. The first was too wide and too heavy! Oooops! Here I've been so excited about kbls, even planning on buying one already and I'm not going to be able to finish my first workout . My back was killing me by the end of the first 16 reps, I was out of breath, and my HR was spiking. Okay I knew this was 'cardio weightwork' but they make it look easy! I dropped down to a 10lb weight and did much better but the db doesn't work for all the exercises. I had better results with my 10lb ankle weight wrapped around itself leaving part of the strap as a kbl 'handle'. I had to hold the ends together because I could hear the velcro rip apart with each swing but it worked. I'm happy with the workout and glad I tried it.
  • Sorry did not get to spend much time on-line yesterday. My husband LOVED the movie, he said Disney really stayed close to following the book. I thought it was a bit scary in a couple of places, it makes you jump a bit. Some movies are being shown in 3-D {not sure if thats what IMAX is??} but I saw it in regular 2-D, {still a bit loud for me}

I also started 3 scrapbooks, doing one for each of my kids, haven't done much on them in a while, in fact haven't had time for my first love which is counted cross stitch, my day is so busy right now, and with the holidays fast approaching don't think I will have time for a while. So have a WIP area in my computer room...

Promise to be back soon for personals, have a great day!
  • A quick this morning. Didn't want to get up and go to BSF today because we are getting a loooootttt of rain and wind from Ida. But I may not go the Wednesday before Thanksgiving so I need to weather the storm and go so I'm up and getting ready to go. I may not be on a whole lot either since I've got to be doing more housework between now and T'day.

Y'all have a great day.
  • I'm just dropping by for a quick "Hi" to everyone. I'm down with an awful cold and all the trimming that go along with it, so I haven't felt like posting much. I'll be back to catch up with you all once I start feeling better.

Take care!
  • Short on time this morning. We woke up to hear the city sirens blowing and wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why. We still don't know.

Patty. Its a running joke that it rains every Thursday, which is our Bible study day.

Stitch, I'm glad you liked the movie! I was interested in seeing that one.

Back later....
  • Hi all,

Just a quick pop-in to say hello.

For my creative project, I have been moving furniture (and lots of books) around in the bedroom today, which also means cleaning and rehanging stuff on the walls, and I'm bushed. After all that, I'm not sure I like the new look.

Tomorrow I'll be going to town to get my hair touched upped and trimmed, and not a moment too soon! Also have to do some shopping.

I'll be back when I can. Have a good one!
  • Penguin - I'm beginning to think that it always rains on Wednesday. It was cold and the wind was so bad that the umbrella didn't help very much. Enjoyed the class though.

Jane - I know what you mean. I've got to make it another week with my hair and then I'm getting mine permed and trimmed.

cottagebythesea Hope you get well soon and back to yourself.

Have a good evening everyone.
  • Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well!

It's been busy around here the last couple days. Yesterday we went for a lovely beach walk and today....well, we decided it was time to get into the water. Water temp is about 18 degrees so it's still a bit nippy but we braved it anyway. It was very refreshing.

I've nearly finished the 2 Linus quilt tops - hoping to wrap them up tomorrow and start on a new project.

I'm off to do some yoga, foam rolling and mobility work before cooking dinner. I think it is going to be scrambled eggs (easy peasy) then a 'veg out in front of the TV and knit dish cloths' evening.

Have fun in town Jane. Sounds like a pamper you type day.
  • Yea!!! We are up and running again. Sure missed everyone. Hope everyone had a good day yesterday. We went out to Wally world yesterday and ate at McD's. DH and I shared a meal... so we only had half the calories. I bought some Christmasy red and green yarn to make Christmas doilies.

I heard about Callanetics dvd's on another website so I googled it. I found info about a dvd for beginners so I ordered it. It seems the woman who designed Callanetics did it to strengthen her back and muscles. It is supposed to be here Tuesday.

Just a lazy day today for me. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
  • Well, you guys have me into the mood of making things again. Told DH that I need to go either to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and get me some crochet books. Left all that stuff back in TX when we got married. Strange how things work. I remember when somehow I learned that my Mama's Mama could crochet. I always knew Mama's sister did. I asked Mama about it. She told me that her Mother used to make beautiful crocheted things, but no one seemed to appreciate them and she quit. I remember thinking I hoped I would never get that way. I did though. I made beautiful crochet baby blankets for my grandbabies when they were born. My daughter left them places and never knew what happened to them. I made each of the kids one. I have one son who still has his. So I quit making things. Since I've started doing these few things I'm working on now, I realize that Tony's family is different. They seem to really appreciate everything I do for them. Then I also began to realize that it isn't about them appreciating it so much as it is about me doing it for them and the love that goes into making them things.

Tony's son's daughter always makes some little something for me at Christmas time. She is very shy and doesn't say much when we get to see them. But the things she makes are priceless, because she puts a little bit of herself in each thing she makes. Those are the things in life that have true value. The first year we moved to SC, she made me the prettiest little ceramic snowman container. I use it for decoration at Christmas and it still touches my heart in a way nothing else could.

Thanks Jane for guiding me to this place.

I hope everyone is having a blessed Sunday!!!
  • Hi all,

Dee - turns out we didn't have time to go to the movie after all. The grandsons kept plenty busy with what we had to do around the house.

Penguin - did you ever find out what caused the sirens? Hope it was nothing serious. Kudos to you, making your own kettle bells that works!

Stitch - WIP is what? Work in peace, lol. Whatever it is, I'm happy for you that you have a designated place for your crafting.

Kris - a beach walk sounds like a lot of fun, even if the water is nippy. Did you get the Linus quilts finished?

Trish - homemade/handmade gifts are the best, and I'm so glad Tony's family appreciates the time and love you put into them. Did you get your crochet hooks? You are so welcome for me asking you to join us, but you don't realize how much you bring to each of us.

MBN - how are you doing?

I had a busy weekend and am glad to be home with my feet up. DH and I attended a benefit dinner and auction for my nephew with medical problems, and then we brought home 2 of the grandsons. We had a lot of fun, and I hated to see them go home. Next weekend we'll have 3 of the girls, and I can't wait!

Food has been not too bad, but I need to get back 100% OP.