Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #61  

Height: 5'1"

Morning Ladies,

Well, the Dr. didn't say what I wanted to hear yesterday. 2more weeks of wearing this bootie. My manager was not happy to hear that I wasn't coming back to work this weekend, but the Dr. said that I could mess my foot up really bad by going back too soon. I guess she'll get over it.

It's cold and raining here. Every day!! I guess fall is here, and you can see winter coming. Fall was just not long enough. It's my favorite time of year. I love to go for walks in the fallen leaves and listen to the crunch underfoot. I always take the Grands too and now they look forward to it. Hope i can do it this year.

Zoo, the babies are adorable! I taught my husband how to cook too. No dummies here!!!

Linda, That is just too weird! Being the nosey thing that I am, I would have to meet her. The prep is the worst part of the colonosccopy isn't it? Hope every thing was ok. And you really should have lost a pound or 2 there! ha!

Lynn, Sounds like you are really enjoying your vacation and getting lots of walking in.

Karen3, It's hard to find a happy medium when you have to accomodate 2 peoples diets but i'm sure you'll find some way to accomondate. For the most part, diabetic diets are really healthy. Kidney diets are very limiting though.

Everyone, make it a good day
Old 10-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #62  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Isabella, thank you for answering! I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, since no one ever responded. The up and down part makes me crazy, but I know that it's to be expected. 7# is a LOT for one week, but I have so much to lose that I want it done NOW. Again, thank you!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #63  

Morning everyone from rainy alaska..the dh came home yesterday and has kept me busy got the results of my a1c and other bood tests and my dr was very happy with me..thats a relief now have a colonoscopy and a pressed breast test yet to go and after i see the bariatric surg i will have more tests ugh i hate going to dr but preventive med is so important..i have been working a few xmas gifts, usually im done by now but am abit slower this year..bobbie im sry you lost your chicken,we had a hobbie farm yrs ago when we lived in minnesota and i hated loosing our critters they all had names and where pets and i couldnt eat them..zoe your gran babies are sooo cute i love babies..lynn i am jealous and i luv paula dean what a fun trip..karen 3 eventually you will get the hang of the cooking 2 diff ways.i found the tuff part was getting my dh to cooperate..he wants gravy on everything or mushrm soup,meat and tators..so i add vegies and salads and cook my meat like chicken for example seperate wrapped in foil..hello and hugs to those i missed hope your day goes stupendously rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 10-07-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #64  
Linda

S/C/G: 282/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi all! The colonoscopy went fine and my colon is certified not only healthy but squeaky clean. I'm REALLY happy there is no sign of more diverticuli, given my prior history with that condition. Anyway, I don't need another colonoscopy for 10 years, which is fine by me. The prep is, well, messy and unpleasant. On the plus side, I actually did weigh myself first thing this morning just to see, and sure enough I'd lost four pounds. On the not-so-plus side, I probably gained most of it back once I was allowed to start drinking fluids again. No such thing as a quick fix, I guess.

UPS came for the camouflage baseball caps. I guess the other Linda really wants the darn things (actually, they were kind of cute). I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for women my age wearing one in this area. You never know...

My FIL said today: "You're looking really good. I mean, really. For the longest time, I couldn't tell the difference, but now I see it." Mind you, I've lost 65 lbs., which is pretty much a sixth grader. Just goes to show, sometimes it can seem like no one but you can tell... because it can really take a LOT of weight loss to register with most folks.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #65  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Jess you're not doing anything wrong. Just keep posting and eventually you'll be noticed. Sometimes I feel a bit neglected on other forums so I know how you felt. But you'll be right at home here soon enough. Go back and read the posts and you'll see that others have also responded to your post. Tell us a little about yourself and family. You don't have to be too specific if you don't want to but we're all interested in what goes on in the lives of the Golden Girls.

Quote:
a pressed breast test
Oh, Rosy, that is such a funny way to put it. Gotta get one of those myself as soon as I get the appointment from the clinic.

Hi Linda, glad everything is good with your plumbing.

Must go get supper. I'm never too busy to eat.

Last edited by retiredone; 10-07-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #66  
Isabella

Good morning all. It's Thursday already. Where is the week going?

It's raining here, but not heavy. I'm between two minds on whether to go forth and walk or get on my bike inside. I guess I'll wait for an hour or so and see what happens outside. Plenty to do in the meantime with Thanksgiving looming on the horizon. Catch you all later.

Last edited by retiredone; 10-08-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #67  

Good Morning all,

Wet and cold here too. I'm sitting her wrapped up in a blanket, with my warm wooley socks on, trying to keep warm. Hubby turned up the heat this morning. Seems like we've went from air conditioning to heat in a week.

Rosey, it's time for my "breast press" too. I am so bad at putting things like that off, so I guess you are being a good example and I have no excuse now. I know you will make a good impression on the surgeon.

Linda, Glad the test results were good. When we work so hard to lose weight we want people to notice! Sometimes we just have to be our own cheerleaders though. Soon, everyone will be noticing!

Lynn, Hope you're having a great time! Waiting for more and we want pictures!

Jess, Donna, i did reply. Maybe you didn't catch it because I used Jess? We are glad to have you here, and please join in the discussions.

Isabella, it's rainign here too. I wish I could get out and take a walk with you too. But the wind is blowing and that probably wouldn't work too well. We've had some really heavy wind the last few days. I know we're having some power outages around the area, but thankfully, ours is still working. My SIl, who lives about 5 miles away, doesn't have power.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 10-08-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #68  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

G'morning all!!! Today is my last day at work because I'm taking a vacay day tomorrow - my DD & SIL are going to a wedding, and DH & I get to stay with the twinnies and their lovely 9-year-old sister. Then of course we have Columbus Day off, so I get a four day weekend. I'll have five days at Thanksgiving and six days at Christmas. My son always comes for Christmas (for those who don't know, he lives in Los Angeles, where he designs games for Activision - my kid who was going to be an archaeologist. Go figure, huh?) He comes in June for ten days to two weeks every year, too, so that we can throw him a birthday party (June 16). He loves his birthday parties! He and his GF are real health nuts, so my daughters and I are always on the lookout for new juicer recipes to wow them with...ahhhh, well. Anyway, I really, really enjoy my time off, and especially time off when I can spend it with family.
Freda, my DH turned the heat up this morning too, and I was shocked. Not that he turned it on, but that we needed it, you know? These weather patterns - rainy summer, quick fall, and then all the cold & snow they're predicting for this winter - are really not my idea of a good time. I'm always threatening to move down to North Carolina (where my sis lives) or out to LA where my son is. Of course I can't -I don't want to miss any of the grandbabie's growing up years - but I threaten to all the time.
Isabella - Thanksgiving on the horizon, indeed! I know yours is earlier than ours, but ours will be here soon enough. And then Christmas. And then 2010! Good grief, it just doesn't seem like Y2k was almost 10 years ago, does it? Oh - and the twinnies are 6 1/2 mos. old now. I can hardly believe THAT! (There's a lot of things - mostly involving time - that I find hard to believe these days!)
Jess, I responded to your post - I guess you must've missed it? We all try to say something to all of our friends here in the "Golden Girls" club but sometimes we just can't get to everybody every time we post. Doesn't mean we don't care...just means that we've run out of time, most likely!
Linda, yes it really is nice when someone notices your progress, isn't it? I had a colleague at work mention the other day that I was "really slimming down, wasn't I?" and yeah, that felt pretty okay. I still have a ways to go, but even that's not terrible, you know? I think that if I can start the new year 10 pounds lighter than where I am now, then I'll have all of 2010 to lose the last 20 that I want to lose. (I've changed my goal, but haven't gotten around to changing my ticker or the avatar thingie). I don't want to rush it at all. Just a nice, gradual pound or so every couple of weeks throughout the year and I'll be a very happy camper! Glad to hear your colonosopy results were so good, incidentally.
About that "pressed breast test", Rosey - they practically have to hog-tie me to get me to subject to one. Seems to me some sadistic MAN must've invented that danged machine! I've noticed that they don't press any of THEIR appendages in a vice to check them out. Not fair!
Well, time to do a little work, I guess. My mind is already off into tomorrow and not very focused on what I need to be doing today, but I'll muddle through.
Have a great day, y'all!!!

Z
Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #69  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls!
It doesn't seem to stop raining here, a blessing really. We broke a record in Sept with no rain and were getting worried about all our fruit trees. We're going to have a hard freeze tomorrow or I have to get outside and pick all the garden veggies, mainly the butternut squashes. Our local grocery store had whole chickens on sale for .88 cents a pound so I'm making that and a butternut squash for supper. We get tons of milage out of a chicken, usually two meals plus I boil all the bones and make chicken stock with the balance of chicken meat for soup, that's usually 3 more meals.
Jess...I read your great weight loss on SBD and was going to comment on it but the thought flew out the window like most of my thoughts when I have so much to do. Good job, DH and I went on it a couple years ago and we both lost weight on the program. (I always gain my weight back if I don't keep posting here), I did learn something very important on that diet, to use a good olive oil daily in our menus, very important. We loved the sassy water too. That program is excellent but kind of spendy.
Hi everyone else, sorry I can't respond to everyone today as the garden is waiting. We're going to put planks in between the rows so we don't get sucked down into the mud.
Have a good one.

Quote:

I'm down almost 7# on SBD this first week. I know I can't trust ALL of it, because of water weight, etc., but there HAS been progress! Is anyone else out there??????
Old 10-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #70  
Isabella

Freda and everyone else I did get out on my walk today. The street was starting to dry up so out I went right in the middle of a shower! But as I was dressed for the weather I didn't go back in the house but walked the whole 5k. I was soaking wet in about 10 minutes and dry again in about 30 minutes. The wind was blowing a gale so when the shower stopped the wind blew my jacket dry. I sounded like a sail blowing in the breeze.

Zoe, our darling GS will be 7 months old on Sunday. They'll be here this weekend and I'm almost tempted to get a birthday cake. Hahahaha. I was watching him on the webcam this morning and he's such a little butter ball. So cute. I can't wait to get him in my arms this weekend.

I can't believe the week is nearly over, let alone the year. I don't have the same reference points though the year as I did when teaching. My year always started in September and ended the last of June with the delicious months of July and August just floating in limbo. Now every month is floating. DH still works on the school bus so that does give me some structure to my days.

We don't have the heat on today, YET, but we will. It was still warm in the house this morning when we got up from last night's fire (in the furnace) but the temperature is starting to dip some but I do have on the oven baking a turkey roaster full of beans and that's sort of warming the kitchen. I often use the roaster as I do about 2 or 3 pounds of beans at a time and freeze them for quick access. We eat a lot of beans. Today, I'm using navy beans, lentils and a cup of left-over canned black beans. I'm kind of experimenting with different combinations.

Anyway, I'll catch you all later.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #71  
Linda

S/C/G: 282/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Gosh, it's a beautiful day here. Autumn is my favorite season, in part because I love cooking stews and braises, and walking the dog, which is always more fun when it's cooler.

You gals who are getting pressed breasts have my sympathy. I get one every year because my Mom had breast cancer (she's fine now), and I heartily hate the things. Got mine in August after putting it off most of the year. My husband doesn't understand my emotion. "But they're so soft and pressable!" he says about breasts. Not THAT pressable, I growl back. Truly, I think every man who scoffs at a woman's dislike of mammograms should have something of his compressed between two hard plates and see how HE likes it. Hmmmph!

Jess, I think your weight loss is amazing and would love to hear more as you prgoress. Picking up different tips from different weight loss programs is one of the ways to keep any diet fresh and interesting, and there's always more to learn.

I'm bummed right now because my SIL got so disheartened about her snail's pace weight loss (she needed to lose about 40 lbs. and lost 20 but has been stalled for two months) she dropped out of WW.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #72  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

It is interesting hearing about the weather in the different areas where you all live. And I am feeling like some of you and wishing that at times I lived somewhere else. It is so hot and humid here in Houston. I want to walk outside, and it is just miserable out ~ so wishing I was in a place where it was a little cooler. Though, I don't wish to be in a place again (used to live in Maine) where I have to shovel all that snow

Divergal ~ I like that thought of yours (I think every man who scoffs at a woman's dislike of mammograms should have something of his compressed between two hard plates and see how HE likes it. Hmmmph!) When I came home after mine, he asked how it went and I told him ~ well you put your part in there and let them squish it and see you you feel about it.

Have a couple days off now ~ yippee. Getting to spend some family time tonight ~ Corbin's birthday ~ he is 12 today ~ where has the time gone? Next year a teenager ~ wow.

I'd better get off and get something done.

Hope you all are having a nice day.

Take care
Old 10-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #73  
Isabella

It's me again. I'm busy getting food ready for Saturday's big dinner.

Here's a new recipe for you. Canadian Thanksgiving is on Monday and next month is the American Thanksgiving and sweet potato is usually on the menu. Most of the sweet potato casserole recipes are like a very rich pie without the crust. And the gooey marshmallow toppings on some of them are just out of the question for many reasons. So here's a nice "clean" sweet potato casserole that I'm making for the big dinner.

Sweet Potato Casserole

4 large sweet potatoes, cooked and sliced
1 large can crushed or tidbits or chunks unsweetened pineapple, lightly drained
1/2 chopped pecans
cinnamon
nutmeg
2 tablespoons brown sugar or sweetener of choice

Layer half sweet potatoes, pineapple and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in Pam sprayed casserole. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and nutmeg. Repeat layer. Top with the chopped pecans bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until bubbling.

The original recipe had 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 2 sliced bananas, rum, and about 1 cup of macadamia nuts. So as you can see the above recipe is really scaled down calorie wise but will taste really good.

Last edited by retiredone; 10-08-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #74  

Default aple

Hi everyone..i agree about the men having their parts pressed i asked my dh if he thought he was tuff enuff he looked like this hoping u all are having a great day, the recipe sounds yummy..i bake sweet potatoes all the time and top with i cant beleive it butter spray along with no sugar maple syrup or low sugar orange marmalade,or losugar apricot pineapple jam and a sprinkle of cinamon..luv it.. for all rosey
Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

We left Savannah this morning & are in Charleston. Took a tour of the city this afternoon & spent some time walking along the river & through the market. We each took travel guides to our rooms & will each pick 1 thing we really want to do tomorrow. There is SO MUCH in Charleston!

Exercising in hotel gym every morning & walking/walking/walking every day. Of course also eating, but keeping it sane. We'll see what the scale has to say when I get home.

Lynn
Closed Thread