Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #31  
GmaTo8

Penguin - Oh dear, I hope you get your specks on Tues! At least the doc is on the ball. Glad to know you have font settings to help you, but I have to ask, background stuff gets eliminated? The Continental stitch must be a real doozey, if you have to practice on an 8oz skein 1st! I'd be pulling my hair out, lol.

Denice hasn't logged in since the day she started the thread. We won't give up hope on her, though.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

Those are lovely, Jane! I've seen those fleece blankets before and they are so nice. The memory quilt is wonderful.

As far as Project Linus....I'm not sure if it is international or not. My thought is to bring the quilt tops back (to the USA) next time I visit and give them to the local quilt shop who organizes work days through-out the year for finishing tops. My other thought is to perhaps sweet-talk my sister (who is a machine quilter) into quilting a few each year, strong-arm a girlfriend into binding these quilts and then we could give finished quilts to the project rather than just tops. I haven't mentioned it to them yet so for now, I'm just using up scrap fabrics and making them into tops. (It's kinda my 'therapy' project!)

Well, yesterday I survived the 4-7pm time frame (the worst part of the day for me as far as food goes) by keeping busy. I accomplished everything I set out to do which was a nice feeling. Today I think I'm going to tackle sewing the binding on the king size quilt I did for the guest room. I'm not looking forward to it - but once I have it sewn on, it will be a good project to work on in front of the TV in the evenings.

Cheers all!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #33  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Kris, My running joke about binding is "How many corners does this quilt have again??? Isn't this the 10th so far???" One of Hubby's work friend's wife is from New Z. She and I get together a few times a year when the guys do, I love her accent but sometimes she still confuses me with the phrases and words she uses that are unfamiliar to me. She always knows because I apparently get the same 'confused' look".

Jane, If you have Windows go down to Start, go into Control Panel, go into Accesiblity Options{top left}, that gives you 5 catagories, hit Display. Near the middle is a box to 'check' marked High Contrast. Hit that then go back to your normal screen and see what you think. HTH

Your hankie quilt is a great idea! Can you go back and quilt it later? I like the edges of the fleece blanket. The fringe is pretty.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #34  

I hear you about the corners, Penguin! I did get the binding sewn on today (a day late...oh well) so now I start the hand stitching process. I'd love to have it done by Friday as we have guests arriving. I'd also like to get some matching pillows (or at least pillow cases) finished before then. I JUST might have enough time.

Too funny about your NZ friend. That happens to The Mister and I every once in awhile. We speak the same language but sometimes the phrases or words really get confusing.

I just noticed you live in Memphis, Penguin.....we were there a couple years ago and had a blast on Beale Street. It's on our list to revisit.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #35  
GmaTo8

Good morning, crafters,

Kris - yay for getting the binding on. That's a big job! Are you doing your scraps in a certain pattern, or more of a crazy quilt fashion? Good for you, making it through the 4-7 time period. Some days are harder than others for most of us. Will you be embroidering the pillow cases?

Penguin - Neal and I took the Amtrak to Memphis in March. Like Kris, we had a lot of fun on Beale St. I had some of the most delicious wet barbecue there. We went to the Gibson guitar factory, and the Rock in Soul museum, and several other places of interest. We will be going back, too. I have Windows Vista, and couldn't use the instructions you gave, but thank you, anyway. About the wall-hanging, I would have to take the edges apart to go back and quilt it, so that's why I never did it.

My creativity today will be used to reorganize the utility room shelves. We added cabinets in the kitchen over the weekend, and filled them with things from the utility room, so now I need to get in there and straighten all that up. I'm just so happy to have the extra cabinets!

Have a good day.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #36  

Still plugging away at the 'learn to knit continental style'. I started a scarf with a basketweave pattern to practice both knit and purl. I feel the work will be worth it in the end just for the ease of switcheing from K to p and not having to throw, BUT its like trying to learn to knit with your feet when you already know how to knit by hand. Why am I struggling with this? I could have had the scarf finished by now if I was using the old method...
Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #37  
GmaTo8

Penguin - I think you're doing it because you know it will be worth the challenge. Refresh my memory - what color yarn are you using? I can't even imagine trying to attempt a basketweave pattern using the regular stitching, let alone Continental style!

Marquita, a friend of mine, won a scrapbooking crop party for herself and 9 of her friends, and she invited me to it. This will be Nov. 7th. The shop gives out free food, drinks, and some supplies, and lets us use their facility. I've promised myself I'll get Caylin's 1st day of kindergarten page done, as well as some other pictures.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #38  

Jane, I'm using a varigated yarn with deep blues, reds, greens, wheat. The basketweave is pretty easy in the Con style because its easier to switch back and forth between the knits and purls. I'm using #10 needles, and the scarf is only 30 stiches wide. Three on each side in stockinette stitch and then switch from k to p every 6 stitches.. so far its about the size of a dishcloth. Sigh.

The scrapbooking party sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #39  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Another quilter popping in here. I just started to quilt three years ago although I have been sewing since I was five years old. (My mother left me alone with her sewing machine. I caught on fast - sewed my finger just once and that was 65 years ago.)

I've done several quilting courses and am currently working on a Block of the Month Quilt. I did another one last year although it's not finished yet. I should just spend a few weeks finishing up projects.

I design and piece quilt tops for Victoria's Quilts and try to make one top every month. The tops are quilted by a friend with a long arm and then given to folks undergoing chemotherapy. Doing this assuages a bit of my guilt about the large amounts of $$$ I spend on fabric! (I'm a fat quarter addict and, if a project requires a meter, I end up buying to or three. I'm sure you can relate!

Here are two of my Block of the Month quilts - the Be Attitudes one is still just in blocks but you'll get the idea.

The great thing about quilting is that you cannot nibble anything when working with fabric. Many a time I've felt peckish and done some cutting and piecing instead. The rule is "no food" in the sewingroom although a cup of tea is allowed.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #40  

Ruth, Good to have you join us! I love your quilts. My Thurs Night Quilting Buddy, Renee, is working off and on with the Be Attitudes. She's making individual mini-quilts. I did the Be Forgiving Block with a black dog and pink sneaker, but it hangs unfinished on my design wall.

I decided to go through the shelves in my sewing room and see if I can make room for the stuff that's on the floor. I need to purge some of my UFO's and whatever. I'm tired of having to move everything just to get something done! Big talk, I'll probably be sewing some forgotten project in about 30 min. Ha.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #41  

Ruth, your quilts are fab! I really like the Be Attitudes also - I've never seen it before. Is it hand or machine appliqued? Hand applique is on my list of things to learn.....I just love the look of it - but I struggle to tackle it. I have a Lori Smith book of small quilts that has applique parts and I've thought to challenge myself to do several of those just to get the hang of it.

Good luck with the organizing, Penguin. I think it's a good thing to purge projects periodically. My sister and mother have done that recently.....given boxes of perfectly good fabric to their churches for them to use in charity quilts. Not only does it help those in need but I think it's really been a boost to mom & sis because they have less on their "I should do...." list.

My projects....I have the binding sewn down on 3 sides of the king size quilt so I think it will be on the bed in time for company on Friday. Not sure if I'll get the pillow shams done or not. I finished sewing all the setting star pieces onto my 30 Karen Stone blocks. It's now time to tackle the border. I'll try and figure out how to post a picture here one of these days. This Karen Stone quilt will probably be the most artsy fartsy quilt I'll ever make.....it has well over 100 fabrics in it and is paper pieced New York Beauty blocks.

Last night we had friends over for dinner and ate and drank more than usual. Have been hanging out for a treat for weeks so had a small slice of cake (which was delicious!). That's it though....I commit to myself and to you guys that the one piece was sufficient and I will not eat any more of it. I'll keep one piece in the fridge for The Mister and the rest will be dropped off at the neighbors on my way to town this morning. I had a great scale drop the last 3 weeks so I don't want to ruin it.

Well, that's it for me for today. I'm off to town. Plan to stop at three of my favorite places....a yarn store, a book store and a cafe.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #42  
GmaTo8

Ruth - I'm soooo glad to see you here!

Just a fly-by to say I'll be out of town tomorrow, but may be able to check in, in the evening.

Happy crafting!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #43  

I did pretty well with the organizing. I donated a huge shopping bag of things to Goodwill, making room to at least get the stuff off the floor and off my cutting table. A online friend is pregnant with her first baby, they were expecting a boy but got the drs test and found a girl. I'm glad I didn't start a blue quilt. But now I need a girly pattern. She's been trying for a while and I promised her a baby quilt.

The knitting is going better. I'm getting the hang of the switch. For my scarf I was using 10# needles. This is my only pair of straight needles. I thought since it was a scarf and the needle was big they would be a good choice. I have DPNs and circulars. I usually knit on the circulars even if I'm not knitting in the round. I finally decided to switch to the circulars and the knitting is going much smoother and easier. Who would have thought the needle would make that much difference?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #44  
GmaTo8

Penguin - baby quilt patterns are so precious! I especially am fond of the appliqued ones. Good for you, donating all the supplies to Goodwill, and cleaning out your excess. I surely didn't know that needles would make so much difference in making your scarf.

Ruth - your quilt blocks are wonderful! I bet you've forgotten more than I will even ever know about quilting. Please be a regular here.

Kris - do you think you'll have the quilt ready for tomorrow? I know we'd all love t see a picture of it. A yarn store, a book store and a cafe?? I would go with you if I could.

I haven't been very creative, and even had to beg off of the scrapbooking crop with my friend. Seems I got my weekends mixed up, and will be able to have some of the grandkids over night on the 7th. I'll get to see them briefly on Sunday, but I sure do miss them. In the meantime, I want to get the paper picked out for several photos to crop. That's 1/2 the battle, lol.

Have a good day.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #45  

I'm still plugging away on the scarf but things have picked up since the needle switch. I was thinking of starting another project and leaving the scarf at the computer to work on while I'm reading posts.

I like to do Jacob's Ladders for boys. I like changing the pattern darks and lights to get a differnt look. My favorite girl quilts are applique also. I did a Irish Chain with applique pansies once that I'm thinking about doing again. Quilting around shapes is a problem with applique for me. My machine will free motion but I can't. I would need a lot more practice. I'd like to finish the quilt by the time the baby is born {or in collage!}

Jane, One of my HS friends lives near Columbus, IA. She also quilts, so I wonder if you know each other. Send me a PM if you are around there.I found your Profile pic and I think we look alike.
Closed Thread